Tommy - The Trials and Tribulations of a Girl? - Chapter 68

Printer-friendly version



Tommy
The Trials and Tribulations of a Girl?

A Novel By Teddie S.

Copyright © 2018 Teddie S.
All Rights Reserved.

Chapter 68
Oh no, Larry. The scholarship. A fitting.

We had a talk with Amy’s mother about her ancestors. Then called Amy’s grandmother and found that one of Amy’s mother’s cousins in England had done some research on the family. Amy wrote a letter to the cousin asking about the possibility of an Indian ancestor. All this over a dream.

Then a hike on the lake trail had become interesting, very interesting.

We met with our lawyer and financial advisor about the scholarship. And Cathy, our lawyer, met Tom for the first time.

Mom and dad had come back from Hawaii. And now Amy and I were on the way to Kelly and Larry’s apartment to find out what had happened with Kelly’s father and Larry. It didn’t sound good.

Amy and I walked up to the door to Kelly and Larry’s apartment. As we had parked next to their car, we knew that Maria and Mark were already here. I knocked on the door, and Kelly quickly opened it. I hate to say this, but she looked like hell.

Kelly looked at me, tried to smile, and said, “Tammy!”

“Hi.”, I said.

“You surprised me. I was expecting Tom, but I’m happy to see you. And Amy, honey, thank you for coming.”

“No problem.”, Amy said. “What are friends for.”

As we walked in and closed the door, I asked, “What happened?”

Then I saw Larry sitting there with a black eye. And I had an idea what had happened. And I said, “Larry, who did that?”

“Kelly’s dad.”, Larry said.

“What!? Why!?”

“Things had started out good.”, Kelly said. “Much better than last weekend. But then my dad got on my case. Larry stood up for me, got between my dad and me. And my dad hit him.”

I looked at Larry, and asked, “You didn’t hit him. Did you?”

“No.”, Larry said. “I wasn’t expecting him to hit me and it really stunned me. The next thing I knew, Kelly had my hand pulling me out to the car, and we left.”

“You didn’t drive. Did you?”

“No. Kelly did.”

“Larry, your dad is going to go crazy when he sees your eye and finds out what happened.”

“No kidding. I hope I can keep dad from having Mr. O’Brian arrested.”

Amy walked over to Larry and took a close look at Larry’s eye. She asked him, “Can you see out of it?”

“Yes. It just hurts.”, Larry said. “And I think I’m going to join you guys and take up karate.”

“I bet it does hurt. If it gets worse go to the emergency room, in fact, you may want to go over anyway. You don’t want to lose an eye. Now, tell us exactly what happened.”

Kelly and Larry then told us in detail what happened and it wasn’t good. And it happened quickly after they had arrived.

When they finished, we all discussed it except Amy. Amy was very quiet like she was in deep thought as she listened to us talk. Finally, Amy said, “Kelly, do you think that your dad is having a nervous breakdown?”

“A nervous breakdown?”, Kelly said.

“Yes. From what we witnessed and what you just told us, it sure sounds like it.”

“I … I don’t know. But, yes, it’s possible.”

“You’re the psychologist. Think about what’s happening with him.”

Kelly thought for a minute, looked at Amy, and said, “Oh my God. I think you might be right. How did I miss it? I’m so stupid.”

“Honey, you’re not stupid. You may be too close to him to see it for what it is. And being part of it, like you are, may make it even harder.”

“It may be too late tonight to call home.”

“It’s never too late. And let me talk to your mom after you do.”

Kelly went to the phone, dialed, and said, “I hope my mom answers. It’s ringing.” … “Hello, mom.” … “Yes. We’re okay. But we may have figured something out.” … “Yeah. About dad.” … “Thinking about what’s been going on with him and some of the things that have happened, do you think that he might be having a nervous breakdown?” … “Yes, mom it’s possible. And I should have seen it.” … “I know. Amy figured it out.” … “I’ll tell her. But she wants to talk to you.” … “Just a minute.”

Kelly handed Amy the phone, and we heard Amy say, “Hello Mrs. O’Brian.” … “Yes, I know this can be hard. I don’t know if you remember or not, but I’m a nursing student, and I’ve been in the Emergency Room quite a bit. And have seen things like this.” … “Yes, I know it can sneak up on you. You need to take Mr. O’Brian to the Emergency Room. They will know how to help him. If Connor is still there have him help you.” … “No. Not tomorrow. I’d do it right now.” … “Okay. Here’s Kelly.”

Amy handed the phone back to Kelly, and she said, “Mom, get dad to see someone now.” … “Okay. Call Dr. Rodgers first, if you must. But please listen to Amy and take him to the Emergency Room tonight.” … “And please let me know what you find out.” … “Love you too mom. Bye.”

Kelly hung up the phone, flopped down on the couch next to Larry. And said, “Mom thinks that I, or Amy, may be right. And, Amy, mom said to give you a big hug. I just hope she’ll listen and take dad to the E.R.”

We stayed for another hour just talking among the six of us about what gave Amy the clues and other things. Then we all headed home. At least it wasn’t an all-nighter.

Sunday, at home, everyone slept in. Amy and I were the first ones up, and we started breakfast. And we decided on a Southwest breakfast. So as Amy made frybread, I worked on the fixings. We attempted the breakfast tacos that Aunt Ruth and Amy had made. Potatoes cut up into small chunks, queso fresco cheese, sour cream, beans, and hot sauce on top of frybread, with bacon and a fried egg on top.

As we were working on the breakfast, my dad wandered into the kitchen, and said, “I hate you two.”

“What?”, Amy said.

“I hate you. We were going to sleep in, and the smell of whatever you’re cooking woke us up.”

“Sorry, daddy.”, Amy said. “We won’t do it again.”

“Over my dead body, you won’t do it again. It smells good, do you have enough for mom and me?”

“Sure.”, I said.

“Oh. Good morning Tammy.”

“Good morning, daddy.”

“Why Tammy?”

“It felt so good yesterday that I just figured to continue being her today.”

“Well, it’s nice getting up and seeing two such pretty faces.”

“Daddy, make yourself some coffee. Is mom up?”

“Yes I am, honey”, mom said as she walked into the kitchen. “It smells wonderful in here.”

“Thanks. Hope you like frybread breakfast tacos?”

“I don’t think I could not like them. Just the smell makes me hungry.”

“Good. They'll be ready in a couple of minutes.”

As we ate, mom asked, “What was that phone call about last night.”

Amy looked at me, and said, “Go on tell them.”

“Well, Kelly and Larry went over to visit her parents, and … ” I went on to tell my parents what had happened.

When I finished, my mother said, “That’s terrible. I hope that they can get him some help.”

“They should be able to.”, Amy said. “I just hope that they can help him by the time of the wedding.”

“When’s that?”

“Just before Christmas. And they should be able to help him by then.”

The rest of Sunday was just the rest of Sunday. As dad went through two weeks of mail, Amy and I helped mom with the laundry. There was a lot of it.

Dinner time was storytelling time. Mom and dad went first and filled us in on Hawaii. They agreed that when dad retired that they were going to travel and see the country and then maybe Europe.

After mom and dad finished, Amy and I filled them in on more details of our trip to Kelly’s hometown. Kelly’s mom, dad, and brother, Connor. Meeting the priest. Spending the night sharing a room with Kelly and Larry. Meeting Kelly’s cousin, Mary Beth. Then we told them about the meeting over the scholarship and what we'd decided. And that we’d like them as trustees and that I wanted to talk with Aunt Ruth and Uncle Paul about also being trustees. Then I took out my wallet and handed my dad a check. He looked at it, and asked, “What’s this for?”

I replied, “The financial advisor told us that it would be better, tax-wise, if you waited until the scholarship was in place, and to sent the check directly to it.”

My dad readily agreed.

Then we told my mom and dad about Amy’s dream, and writing the letter to Amy’s mother’s cousin about the possibility of Amy having an Indian grandmother somewhere back in her ancestry.

My mother smiled when she said, “So, Amy you may have some Indian blood in you?”

“Maybe.”, Amy replied. “But not much.”

“It’s going to be interesting to see what your cousin has to say.”

“I know. It’s exciting. I can’t wait to hear back from Rosemary.”

After dinner my mother, as she usually did on Sunday called Aunt Ruth, and they talked for a while. Then I spoke to my Aunt Ruth and asked if she and Uncle Paul would like to be trustees, along with our parents, and Amy and me, of the scholarship. And they agreed that they would. But to be sure to use their legal names.

On Monday I called our lawyer and gave her the go-ahead on using my parents, Amy’s parents, and my aunt and uncle as trustees. I had to spell my aunt and uncles names, Sahkyo Biakeddy and Yiska Biakeddy, for her. She said she should have this already for us on Wednesday and asked if we could stop by her office on Thursday, read it over and sign it before it was mailed. I made an appointment for one in the afternoon.

Amy and I, along with my parents, met with Cathy on Thursday and went over the information that was going to the organization that was going to manage the scholarship. We were happy with what we read and signed the necessary papers. Part of the agreement was that any monies donated to the scholarship would be sent directly to our financial advisor for investment.

Amy’s brother Bill was heading back to college on Monday, so Amy and I had dinner with her parents, along with my parents, and Bill. During dinner, we filled in Amy’s family about where the scholarship stood. Bill was very surprised when he learned about our trust fund and scholarship.

The following Wednesday school started, so it was back to the books, and we also started back with our Karate classes. Amy and I had practiced our Karate all summer, and in a short time, we both earned our orange belts.

On the following Saturday, we received a packet from the organization that was going to manage the scholarship. It had a lot of information in it, including copies of the applications for someone wanting a scholarship, information on donating to the scholarship, and some public relation sheets to be used to publicize the scholarship.

That night my parents, Amy, and I sat down and went over everything that we’d received. Everything looked good. We decided to send one of the applications to Dibe with a cover letter from Amy and me, and asking that it be returned to us instead of the organization so that we could tell the organization that she had already been chosen as the first recipient. We also told Dibe that the scholarship would be paid over four years and would cover tuition, fees, books, room, and board for all of her undergraduate studies.

We also decided to send one of the public relation sheets and one of the information sheets on donating to the scholarship to Dibe’s father along with a cover letter saying that it was okay to write an article about the scholarship. We reminded Mr. Byllilly that Dibe had already been chosen as this year's recipient and that it would be next year before we took applications. We also asked that our names not be used.

We also sent one of the public relation sheets and one of the information sheets on donating to the scholarship to my aunt and uncle. We also told them about what we had sent to Dibe and her father.

Two more fun things happened during this quarter. The first was that Kelly’s other bride’s maids came over and we went dress shopping, and when I say we, I’m including Tammy.

The fun started on a Saturday when Mary Beth, Kelly’s maid of honor, and the other bridesmaids, along with Kelly’s mother made the drive over here. Why were they coming here, because when Kelly picked out her wedding dress here, she also found what she wanted in the way of bridesmaid’s dresses. And when her mother and Mary Beth saw them, they agreed. The bridal shop had used the sizes and height of the girls to order the dresses, and now they were coming over for a fitting.

So on that Saturday, it was Tammy time. The special panties, a bra with forms, shorts, and one of the fancy tops from out west. My hair was in a ponytail, and I wore a pair of the silver feather earrings, a couple of rings and one of those was one of the ones that Mr. Yazzie had snuck into our goodie bag. Also, I wore one of the silver and turquoise bracelets. No moccasins, but a pair of flats. A light touch of makeup and some perfume.

Amy looked at me, and said, “Tammy, you are so pretty.”

“So are you, sweetheart.”, I said with a grin.

We drove over to Larry and Kelly’s apartment, knocked on the door, and the whirlwind, Mary Beth, answered the door. She looked at me, did a double take, and said, “You’re beautiful. Who are you?”

“Well.”, I said. “Hello. I’m Tammy. Who are you?”

“I’m Mary Beth.”

Just then Kelly walked up to the door, and said, “Hi Tammy. I see you’ve met Mary Beth. Hi Amy.”

“Yes. I guess we’ve met Mary Beth.”, I said.

“She’s my cousin and my maid of honor.”

“Mary Beth, Tammy is Tom’s cousin. You met Tom when you met Amy.”

“Oh yeah.” Mary Beth said. “You sure do look like Tom.”

“A little bit.”, I replied. “We are cousins. We both have blond hair and blue eyes. And our mothers are sisters.”

“Oh. Yeah. I guess that explains it.”

Kelly then introduced Amy and me to the other girls. And then Maria showed up. And she also received the inquisition from Mary Beth.

I watched as Amy took Mrs. O’Brian aside, and I walked over just as Amy asked, “How’s Mr. O’Brian doing?”

“Oh, Amy.”, Mrs. O’Brian said. “I’m so glad that you saw his problem. He’s doing so much better. They kept him in the hospital for a week, and they figured out what was wrong. He’ll be a new person when you see him for the wedding.”

“That’s good to hear. It a shame that you all had to go through this.”

Maria then cornered me, and whispered, “I didn’t know you were going with us?”

“Is it a problem?”, I asked.

“I … I don’t know. You’re really Tom.”

“Am I?”

“Yes.”

“Maria, right now I’m Tammy. Aren’t I?”

“I … I guess.”

We headed over to the bridal shop. A high-end bridal shop. As we walked in, there were a couple of other girls, possibly brides to be, with what appeared to be their mother and girlfriends, looking at wedding dresses. One of the clerks walked over to us, and said, “Miss O’Brian, it’s good to see you. You’re right on time.”

“Thank you, Mrs. Fredrick.”, Kelly replied. “Everyone is here.”

“I count six girls and your mother. I thought that there were five girls?”

“There are only five girls. The extra one is a friend.”

“You had me worried, as we only ordered the five dresses. Shall we go try them on and see what we need to alter.”

We followed Mrs. Fredrick back to a large room that had a platform in the middle, a chandelier hanging from the ceiling, mirrors on the walls, and couches around the room. There was a rack with what looked like a wedding dress and five bride’s maid’s dresses hanging from it, all in clear plastic covers.

All the girls had brought the shoes that they were going to wear to the wedding. I’d seen Amy’s and they were pumps with four-inch heels. I also knew that Amy’s shoes were pink, so I figured that the bride’s maid’s dresses were pink, and four pink dresses were hanging from the rack. And it looked like the maid of honor’s dress was burgundy. And of course, Kelly’s gown was white.

Mrs. Fredrick started with Mary Beth’s dress, the burgundy one. She had Mary Beth strip down to her panties and bra, and change into her burgundy shoes. Mrs. Fredrick and another girl helped Mary Beth into the dress. They zipped it up, then stood back and looked at it.

Mrs. Fredrick then walked back up onto the platform and checked the fit, and then said, “That dress fits nicely, and it looks like the length is perfect. If all the girls haven’t changed much, we shouldn't have much of a problem.”

These dresses were all an ankle length Empire-style gown made of chiffon. The sleeves had crystal-pleats and ruffles. The waistband and back streamers were satin.

They did Amy next. Then Maria. And I noticed that Maria gave me a strange look as she stripped down to her bra and panties. After they finished with all the bride maids, they did Kelly. And just like when Maria had her fitting, Kelly gave me a strange look as she stripped. Kelly wasn’t wearing a bra, but a beautiful bustier.

Kelly’s wedding dress was, of course, white, and an Empire style with a scalloped neckline and sequin trim. It had a nylon lace bodice and sleeves. The skirt is sheer nylon. And a full train. And she looks terrific in it.

There were headpieces for each girl, but we didn’t see those today. And somehow only one dress needed alterations. Maria’s dress required the hem to be taken up one inch.

After we’d finished at the bridal shop, Mrs. O’Brian took us all out to lunch. And we talked like a bunch of girls.

Later as we were saying so long, I heard Mrs. O’Brian again tell Amy that she was so happy that she picked up on Mr. O’Brian’s problem. And Amy being Amy said that it was nothing.

After we’d said so long to Mrs. O’Brian, and the others, Kelly, Maria, Amy, and I were standing in the parking lot. And Maria said, “I thought we were kidding when we talked about Tammy coming to the dress fitting.”

“No.”, Kelly said. “I thought it would be fun. But I got a little nervous when she was there.”

“Why?”, Amy asked.

“Well, it’s really Tom.”

“Is she?”

“Yeah.”

“Right now I’m sensing a girl.”, Amy said. “And I’m seeing a girl.”

“I’m at ease with her.”, Maria said. “But knowing the truth scared me a little.”

“Kelly. Maria.”, I said. “Believe me when I say that what I was looking at were the pretty dresses and how each of you looked in them.”

Amy smiled, and said, “When Tammy is here, as with Kai, she is a girl. Her spirit is that of a girl.”

“You know.”, Maria said. “I knew that. It’s strange in a wonderful way.”

“Huh?”, I said.

“It’s wonderful that you’re such a great girlfriend, but it’s strange that there’s a boy under there someplace.”

Amy grinned, and said, “It is strangely wonderful. Isn’t it.”

“I just don’t understand how you handle it.”

“Like I have almost since the first day I saw Tommy. By loving him and enjoying what we have together.”

I looked at Amy, and just said, “Ajie, ayóó anííníshní.” (I love you.)

Amy smiled. And Kelly asked, “Tammy, what did you just say?”

“I’ll bet that she just told her that she loves her.”, Maria said.

“Good call girlfriend.”, Amy said.

“That sounds funny to say.”

“What’s that?”

“That she loves her.”

“In a way it does, but it’s really one person loving another.”

“Enough of this.”, I said. “Would you like to come over for dinner and have some frybread tacos?”

“You have to ask.”, Kelly said. “Of course we would. On one condition.”

“One condition. What’s that?”

“You teach us how to make them.”

“No problem.”, Amy replied. “Come over at four. And don’t forget to bring Larry and Mark.”

“Do we have to?”, Maria said with a wicked grin.

“Yes, you have to.”

“Are your mom and dad going to be home?”

“No.”, I replied. “They’re going out to dinner with friends.”

“Rats. I like them.”

“They may still be home when you get there.”

~o~O~o~

Dear readers, Remember authors like comments. And even constructive criticism. Please leave a comment. Want to comment but don't want to open an account? Anyone can log in as Guest Reader -- with a password of topshelf to leave a comment. Thanks.

up
289 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

So you really want to reform Mr. O'Brian

Monique S's picture

Teddie?

I have been an attendant on an ambulance for three years and was pondering medical school. I also have been subject to some psychologists and psychiatrist for my "condition". That taught me a lot about the limits those people have.

I must say, that a "nervous breakdown", if it reveals such violent behaviour, will take more than a bit of medical help, unless they prefer to just dope him senseless. That repressed violence has evidently festered enough to override his faith, his socialisation and even his love for his daughter (If he well and truly has it, what I still doubt). Something like that will take years of counselling to overcome and such an emotional moment as a daughter's wedding might well cause a serious relapse.

Monique S

Even though I was on an FD

Even though I was on an FD squad for a few years, I never ran into anyone having a nervous breakdown.

I'm hoping that by the wedding, whatever the MD's do has helped him to the point that he can make it through the wedding. Time will tell.

Teddie

Great chapter, however, I am

Great chapter, however, I am left wondering about Kelly's father. He seems more to have had some form of a brain stroke, rather than a nervous breakdown. His irrational, aggressive actions and comments towards everyone, including members of his own family and soon to be son-in-law speaks volumes to me that he has a brain issue. Maybe even a hidden tumor??
Glad Tammy got to go and see the wedding dress and bridesmaids/maid of honor dresses.

Well, it would be hard, but

Well, it would be hard, but not impossible, to find a hidden a brain tumor since the CT and MRI weren't developed until the 1970's. But it's a possibility that he has one. Tom/Kai isn't close to Mr. O'Brian, so he probably doesn't have any idea. Amy probably picked it up because of the symptoms. And Tom's dad's aneurysm was probably diagnosed by an arteriogram.

Maybe Tom

xan help in other ways

A bit apprehensive

Jamie Lee's picture

Would move married couples be like Amy and Tom, so in love with each that they accept each other without question. Had Amy not loved Tom in this way, then the first time she saw Tammy, or Kia, she would have made tracks as fast as she could.

Amy spotting Mr. O'Brian's possible problem was keen on her part. And his problem could very well be medical instead of psychological. If this is the case then a medical remedy might have him up and about for Kelly's wedding. And would be the reason why he's been acting so hostile toward Tom and Kelly.

Tammy made Maria and Kelly apprehensive undressing at the bridal store. It was good they talked afterwards to put both Maria and Kelly at ease when Tammy is present.

Others have feelings too.