The Return of Dragons

Printer-friendly version

The Return of Dragons

The Return of Dragons2.jpg

“It’s time to get ready for bed, Neale.”

“Awww, mom. Can’t I stay up a little longer? I’m seven years old!”

My mom’s smile always softened my heart and was a silent acknowledgement that something good was about to come my way. “I’ll tell you what. You get ready for bed and I’ll come in and tell you a story.”

I love mom’s stories. “You’ll tell me the story about Maeve the dragon slayer?”

“Again?”

Nodding vigorously, I rushed off to the bathroom to brush my teeth before diving across the room from the door and into bed. Mom arrived a few minutes later and pulled up the comforter around my neck before lying next to me with her head propped up on her hand. My mom was the prettiest woman I had ever seen. Her long red hair cascaded down her back in gentle waves and her eyes were like green emeralds. She was the kindest and most loving person in the whole world.

Her fingers softly stroked my forehead and parted my brown hair. I smiled contentedly and snuggled in for the story.

“A long, long time ago, dragons and magic still existed. Your ancestor, Maeve Bradigan, lived not too far from here. It was said that five dragons lived in the Wicklow mountains and, for the most part, they kept to themselves. Some say they protected vast piles of gold and jewels, while others said they were put on earth to test the courage of men.”

“What did Maeve look like?”

“Maeve was considered the fairest woman of the realm. She had deep blue eyes and long blonde hair and men came from all over to court her.”

“She didn’t have red hair and green eyes like you?”

“Not at first. Let me finish the story. Now, something had been burning crops and killing animals in the kingdom and the king determined this carnage was the work of dragons. The king proclaimed that anyone who killed a dragon would be given land and riches. Maeve had a brother named Bogue, and when he heard the proclamation he decided he would hunt a dragon to win a life of prosperity for himself and Maeve. Maeve was upset and warned Bogue not to go but he insisted and took their father’s sword from the mantle and headed into the mountains.”

“After ten days had passed, Maeve fretted that something bad must have happened to Bogue but it wasn’t until four days later that Maeve’s worst fears had come true. A man knocked on her door and in the back of his wagon Maeve found Bogue’s mangled body and her father’s sword. She prepared her brother’s body and burned it on a pyre promising to avenge his death. Taking her father’s sword, she headed into the mountains.”

“Why didn’t her father go with her?”

“Both her parents had died when she and her brother were young. They didn’t have much money to live on and that was why Bogue hand decided to kill the dragon.”

“She must have been strong to carry the sword.”

“Determined would be a better word. Maeve wasn’t a trained fighter but she felt she must kill the dragon that killed her brother. For days, she travelled by foot and listened to the stories of the country folk. They told her tales of sheep being lifted off the ground and then dashed to the rocky earth. Dark shapes would come out at night and move as fast as lightning across their fields leaving them scorched. Undeterred, Maeve left the small towns behind and entered the isolation of the mountains.”

“That’s when she came upon the dragon?”

“Yes. One night she slept up against a boulder in an open field and was awakened by the sounds of something heavy moving close by. Coming out from behind the boulder, Maeve held her sword high and stared into the golden eyes of a dragon with shiny blood-red scales. Its clawed foot was larger than she was and wisps of smoke came from its nostrils.”

“Maeve was stunned when the dragon moved its head close to hers and spoke. ‘Run away, puny human.’ Maeve was defiant and held her ground. She pointed the tip of her shaking sword at the dragon. ‘You killed my brother. You’ll not kill any more!’ For a moment, the dragon looked disinterested in her but then spoke again. ‘I’ve killed many things, but you know not what you’re talking about. Go now before I tire of you.’”

“Maeve was sure brave.”

“She was indeed, but I want you to remember that Maeve was acting out of anger. I never want you to do something like that. Promise me that no matter the circumstances, you’ll not act out of anger.”

“I promise, mom.” It seemed like an easy thing to say at the moment.

“Maeve struck with the sword and it bounced harmlessly off the dragon’s scales but it enraged the giant beast. With a roar, the dragon struck her down with its clawed foot. Maeve managed to roll out of the way but the tip of a claw tore into her forearm and she dropped her sword. Clinging to her bleeding forearm and crying out in pain, she dove behind a boulder just as a wave of fire washed over the spot she had been. The heat singed her hair and she knew she was going to die. When the fire stopped she looked around the boulder and saw her father’s sword. It was white hot from the flames of the dragon as it rested on the blackened ground. Fearing her imminent death, Maeve rolled out and grasped the hilt of her sword. The blade was so hot that it burned her hands to the bone and locked them tight around the hilt. With a scream, she thrust upward into the foot of the dragon. The sword pierced through the dragon’s thick scales and skin and red blood sizzled down the sword merging with her own blood from her wound.”

“At first, Maeve’s pain almost caused her to faint, but then it slowly vanished as the dragon blood entered her torn forearm. Her body began to radiate heat and her blonde hair turned a dark red much like the color of the dragon’s scales. Her hands healed and she felt stronger than she ever felt in her life. The dragon roared in agony and pulled away from her and her sword, turning to blast her with another wave of fire.”

“She wasn’t killed, was she, mom?”

“No, the dragon blood that had infused her body protected her from the flames. Maeve stood in awe as the flames passed harmlessly around her. Her father’s sword gleamed in her hand, forged anew by dragon fire. She could see fear for the first time in the dragon’s eyes even as its heavy tail swept towards her. With a mighty yell, she sliced downward cleaving the tail from the dragon before she leapt to the beast’s back and plunged her sword into the beast’s head. The mighty dragon was no more.”

“Her eyes changed color too, right mom? You look like her, don’t you?”

Mom’s eyes danced merrily as she smiled. “Let me finish the story so you can get to sleep. After killing the dragon, Maeve went to a pool of water to clean herself up. When she saw her reflection, her eyes had indeed changed color. They were now greener than the new leaves of spring. She cleaned the blood off her forearm and found the scar of her cut. The scar reminded her of a dragon in its shape. Her hands were also completely healed.”

“Did she get the land and riches from the king?”

“Maeve knew she couldn’t bring the enormous head of the dragon to the king so instead she cut into the dragon and found its heart. With the dragon’s death, its heart had shrunk in size to the size of her palm and crystalized. It had become a glowing ruby of immense value. Maeve had no desire for fame or riches but the loss of her brother drove her onward. After returning home, she mounted the ruby into the pommel of her sword and left her home to hunt the remaining dragons. She became known as the dragon slayer.”

“She killed them all by herself?”

“Not all. There were five dragons. The red one was the largest and most fierce. That dragon controlled fire. There was a blue dragon could send a wave of water and ice at its attackers, a brown dragon that could cause the earth to shake and fall apart, a silver dragon that made the wind so strong nothing could stand before it. Maeve had no problems killing those dragons but it was the golden dragon that caused her trouble. The gold dragon controlled magic.”

“Didn’t you tell me before that Maeve became stronger and faster? Surely she could have easily defeated the gold dragon.”

“When the red dragon’s blood entered Maeve, she did indeed become stronger and faster, and she also could control fire just like that dragon did. That served her well until the gold dragon. Gold magic was much different than the earthly elements of air, water, earth, and fire. The first time she fought the golden dragon she was injured and had to retreat to heal. That’s when Breandan Quinn found her. He was a powerful magic wielder and wanted the lands and riches the king was offering. Together they fought the gold dragon and defeated it but as the gold dragon was dying it spoke to Maeve saying ‘You have done a terrible thing. The world needs dragons and I’m the last.’”

“What did it mean?”

“No one was ever certain except that when the last of the five dragons were killed, magic vanished from the earth. It’s time for you to go to sleep now.”

Her delicate fingers brushed my hair away and she leaned down and kissed my forehead. That’s when I saw it for the first time. “You have a dragon on your forearm. Are you a dragon slayer too, mom?”

“It’s just a strange birthmark, son. All the women in my family had it. Go to sleep, darling. I love you.”

***

Eleven Years Later

***

“I remember those nights so well. Sometimes it was dad but most often it was mom that told me stories to help me go to sleep. There was never a day in my life that I didn’t feel loved and cherished by either of them. That’s why you’re all here today. This church is filled with the people my parents touched. Ian O’Conner, my dad, was a hard worker and always took time to help his neighbors even when they didn’t ask. Kira O’Conner, my mom, was like fresh spring flowers that everyone loved.” My voice faltered and tears welled up in my eyes as I looked down upon the two coffins before me. “They were taken from us too soon.” I could barely squeak out the last words. “I love you both.”

Falling on my knees I draped my arms over the polished wooden caskets. It hadn’t been anyone’s fault when the tire blew and careened the car off the edge of a steep ravine. Too soon. They left me too soon.

***

It had been nearly two years since my parent’s passing. Because I was eighteen at the time I was allowed to stay in the family home. Financially I was fine and when I turned twenty-one the house and rest of the estate would fully come into my name. I still haven’t gone through everything and today I made a promise to myself to sort through things in the attic. I got rid of most of my dad’s clothes even though some of them would fit me now. I could never sell anything of my mom’s. I eventually sealed her clothing in plastic and boxed them but I could never give them away. Some of my friends told me I needed to move on, but I can’t just yet.

Climbing into the dusty attic, I began sorting through boxes and knickknacks. I set aside the things that I could sell or give away. It was a tedious and painful process as each item brought forth new memories. After nearly three hours and when I was almost done I spotted a large trunk nestled into the back corner. The trunk had seen better days. Pulling it out into the middle of the attic, I blew the dust off the top and unlatched it. Inside was mostly empty except for an old blanket. I was about to close the lid when I decided to pull the blanket out and get it washed or throw it away. The blanket, however, turned out to be rather heavy.

Sitting back, I placed the blanket on the floor and pulled open the edges. Inside was a sword in a very worn scabbard. I tossed the blanket back into the trunk and carried the sword down into the house and into the light. Anticipating the sword to be rusted and falling apart I gently eased it out of the scabbard. The blade was nearly three feet long and the steel glistened in the sunlight; so polished and smooth that it looked to be brand new and the edge was razor sharp. The hilt housed a round red gemstone, just smaller than the palm of my hand. Oddly, the sword didn’t look fancy. It had simple lines and I could see the roughness of the workmanship but the condition was remarkable. Certainly, this can’t be Maeve’s sword but it reminds me of the one in mom’s stories. Maybe that’s where she came up with the ideas.

Setting the scabbard aside, I placed the sword up on the mantle just as my phone received a text.

‘Oh great and wondrous warrior, Maeve. You’re late for our weekly game.’

Checking the clock, I realized I really was late. Grabbing my wallet, I quickly left the house and walked the ten minutes to the Cartoon Inn in Rathdrum.

***

A few hours east of Rathdrum and deep into the mountains two men placed a stick of dynamite at the end of a shaft in their mine hoping to expose a new vein of ore. Little did they know that not more than ten feet from them an expansive cave system had remained hidden for millennia.

***

Sean Murphy, a twenty-three year old LARPing lover placed a pint of dark ale in front of me. He was a quirky one and the oldest of our Dungeons and Dragons foursome. Perhaps it was my mom’s tales but I rather enjoyed the wistfulness of the game. Sean was our dungeon master and built elaborate worlds for our characters to play in.

“Sorry I’m late.”

Nora Clarke, the youngest member of our group at nineteen, was as unique as they came. She could even be considered pretty by some, but her fondness for blue-dyed hair, dark makeup, and black leather hid her bright eyes and instilled in others a belief she was anything but the inquisitive, intelligent person she was. “Hello, Miss Maeve. Ready to get your girly butt kicked?”

I rolled my eyes. They each had their way of reminding me that I chose a female sword fighting character. “Not going to happen. A sword fighter of my level will always beat a low-level earth mage like yours.” Nora stuck her tongue out at me.

Liam Kennedy, the last of our foursome tended to laugh at the strangest things and the oddest moments. He was constantly pushing up his thick glasses and his giant muscular ape character from the frozen lands of ice and snow was his complete antithesis. Liam’s arms were skinnier than most thirteen-year old’s, but he was the smartest one of our bunch. He was a real techno-wizard. “Glad you could join us, Neale.”

I took a deep sip of the slightly hoppy ale as Sean began the game. “As you know the three of you are lost in the Caves of Orr. Liam’s character, Guantum, and Nora’s, Diedre, stayed behind as Maeve looked for a way out.”

***

“Git yer arse down! She’s a ready to blow!”

Moments later an explosion ripped through the mine shaking the ground and causing loose rock to fall from the ceiling. Flames rushed through the shafts as the explosion had opened a wall separating the mine from the hidden cavern system beyond. Methane gasses ignited filling the cavern with tornado-like sound. The ground shook as the fire flashed through cavern after cavern.

Five large crystalline eggs buried deep inside the cavern shook with the explosions and began to glow as fire washed over them.

***

“Maeve turns a corner and confronts an enormous Wyvern.”

Liam and Nora gasped. “Not looking good for Maeve.”

“What’s Maeve’s move, Neale?”

“She launches a spiral sword strike.” Grabbing the dice, I tossed them onto the table.

Sean smiled. “A three. Maeve leaps into the air and spins, bringing her sword close to the Wyvern’s head but the Wyvern steps aside with nothing but a mere scratch along its neck. The Wyvern chooses to attack with its red-hot fire breath.”

Nora grinned. “Bye-bye, Maeve.”

Frowning, I watched closely as Sean rolled the dice.

***

Released from their dormancy by fire, the eggs in the cavern began to shake and crack. A man-sized red-scaled head appeared from one, its golden eyes glowing in the darkness. Foot long fangs bared wide and with a roar, red flames burst forth lighting the cavern.

***

I watched with eager anticipation as the dice slowly rolled across the table.

“An eight… The Wyvern pulls in its breath and with a deafening screech, casts its red fire directly upon Maeve, transforming her instantly into a hideous Grawl.”

Red fire exploded upon my body. People in the pub were screaming as I stared at the flames running across my fingers and down my arms.

Liam began yelling. “Stop, drop and roll! Stop, drop, and roll!”

Nora grabbed a large jacket as my hair lit on fire. She tackled me off the chair and smothered me with the heavy coat. Hands were beating on me to put out the flames.

Slowly things quieted down and the random beatings stopped. I’m on fire and yet I don’t feel burned.

“Neale? Neale, are you all right?”

The jacket was pulled off my face and upper body and the entire population of the pub stared down at me.

Nora, her eyes wide, took a few steps back. “What the hell!”

Sean looked at Liam. “We didn’t do this did we?”

Liam stared down at me. “That’s not possible.”

“Do I…” That’s not my voice. Lifting my hand to my face I stared at it. That’s not my hand but its moving like it is. “What’s… going… on?”

Liam shook Sean. “Get him up off the floor.”

Sean and Liam each took an arm and lifted me to my feet. I could feel something heaving shift softly under my shirt. People around me began crossing themselves.

Still staring at my hand, wisps of red hair floated before my eyes. Pulling the strands in front of me I noted how long they were before noticing the sizeable bumps extending outward from my chest. I began breathing quickly and felt light-headed.

Liam pushed me down into a chair. “You’re hyperventilating.”

“I’m a girl? Am I a girl? How did this happen?”

Nora pulled out a makeup mirror. “Look at yourself, Neale.”

The tiny mirror did little to show the true effects of the transformation. “Oh my god! I look like a younger version of my mom… What did you guys do to me?” My hand reached automatically between my legs to find nothing there.

Sean looked bewildered. “Us? We didn’t do anything!”

“But the game… the Wyvern and the fire transforming my character…”

An older woman poked her head into the conversation. “That game you’re all playing is from the devil!” She hissed and pulled away from us.

I was still holding up the mirror and my sleeve slid down my arm. On my forearm was a dragon-like scar. “No… I have my mom’s scar… the scar of Maeve.”

Liam sat down at our table and took a deep draft from his pint. “It could have been worse, Neale. You’re pretty. In the game, the Wyvern was going to turn you into a Grawl. They’re really ugly.”

There was still a lot of commotion within the pub and soon police and firemen arrived. “What’s going on?”

The pub owner pointed at me. “That group over there were playing a game when Neale O’Conner burst into red flames. They tried to put the flames out but when he got up he looks like a woman.”

“What kind of a joke is this? They’re just playing a trick on you all. We’ve heard over the radio there was a large explosion at one of the mines. Someone at the mine said five giant bats flew out of the caverns there. We don’t have time for this nonsense.”

“But I’m a girl…”

The police and firemen left quickly and the pub owner kicked us out. “Unless you’re going to act like adults don’t come back here. That stunt you pulled frighten the daylights out of my customers.”

“It frightened the daylights out of me as well and still is.”

Sean stared at the pub owner. “It’s not a joke!”

“Not my problem!”

Standing outside the pub we stared at each other. Nora took the lead. “Neale, it’s still you right?”

I nodded even as I stared down at my bumps on my chest. “Still me. I think.”

“Then let’s get you home.”

Every step I took was a forced effort on my part as my clothes were uncomfortable and these things on my chest bounced annoyingly. What happened to me?

Everyone stayed quiet on the walk home but once we entered my house the conversations exploded all around me.

Nora was in Sean’s face. “What did you do?”

“I didn’t do anything. This is a make-believe game. There’s no magic in it!”

Liam was remarking on how awesome this was and saying that we broke some fabric in space-time. As they argued back and forth I quietly slipped into the bathroom and closed the door behind me. Cautiously I brought my eyes up to the mirror and my heart almost broke. The reflection I saw reminded me so much of my mom. Mom? Is this you? Is this your doing?

My slender fingers tenderly touched my face and dragged long strands of dark red hair in front of my eyes. My eyes were vibrant green and my full lips, deep red. My skin seemed fairer and I had a smattering of freckles across the bridge of my nose. I began unbuttoning my shirt slowly at first and then with more urgency until I could pull it open and look down upon breasts that appeared much too large from my new vantage point. My hand tentatively touched one and felt its weight. With a sudden realization that these were real, female breasts, my hands flew down to my pants and undid my belt. Getting my pants over my wider hips was a challenge but once I did I found nothing left of my manhood.

“Neale? Are you in there? Are you all right?”

Feeling suddenly guilty, I pulled my pants back up and buttoned my shirt. “Yes. Coming out.”

Stepping back into the living room all three of my friends had gone silent as they stared at me. My eyes caught something glowing red on the mantle and I stepped through the hovering group and reached for the sword. The red gem was gently glowing in the pommel. Everyone quickly backed away. The sword felt much lighter than before.

“It’s not our fault, Neale. Don’t kill us.”

“Kill you? What are you talking about? I found this sword this morning in a trunk in the attic. It reminded me of the stories my mom used to tell me. When I put it up here earlier today the red gem wasn’t glowing. Now it is.”

Nora gently took the sword from my hand and placed it back up onto the mantle. She had to use both her hands. “That’s really heavy. I think you’re in shock, Neale. Maybe we should take you to see a doctor? Are you burned anywhere? Are you really a girl?”

Liam sat heavily down on the couch. “This is crazy. You all saw it, right? Neale spontaneously combusted and turned into a girl before our very eyes. Maybe this is the Neale from another dimension?”

Sean sat down into a chair and put his face into his hands. “Nothing like this ever happened before. I’ve played Dungeons and Dragons for years and nobody ever transformed because of it. If word gets out, my dungeon master days are over. Maybe the old lady at the pub was right. Maybe the game is of the devil.”

“I’m not burned. At least what I’ve seen of myself isn’t burned. I would be in pain if I was and I’m not in pain other than these darn pants are too tight around my hips. How can this happen? It’s like I’ve become a younger version of my mom.”

Nora sat down and looked up at me. “Maybe it’s like a flu. Temporary. You go to sleep and wake up back as your old self.”

Sean’s eyes went wide. “Oh God! What if it’s contagious! I don’t want to be a girl!”

Liam leaned back with his hands behind his head and smiled. “I still think this is the Neale from another dimension. Just think, the real Neale is probably on some other planet right now.”

“Guys! What if it’s not temporary? What am I going to do?”

Nora pulled me down next to her on the couch. “Maybe I see this from a different perspective because I’m already female, but life can’t be that much different. Besides, I was a little outnumbered before and this balances out the numbers. Would it be that bad to be stuck as a girl? I bet you’ll look gorgeous in a dress.”

I cringed at the thought even though it might not be so bad. What am I thinking?

Sean pulled his sweater up over his nose and mouth. “I’m not taking any chances.”

Liam pulled out a laptop computer from his backpack and started typing away. “I’m not seeing any spontaneous male to female transformations online. There’s a lot of fiction stories though. Oh… this is interesting. I found a website where people use a credit card to pay for spells to transform their ex-boyfriends into girls. Maybe an ex-girlfriend did this to you.”

“This isn’t helpful. What would you do in my situation?”

Liam laughed. “I’d go into the women’s bathroom. I’ve always wanted to see inside one of those.”

Nora rolled her eyes. “I’m already a girl so it wouldn’t bother me too much.”

Sean was still holding his sweater over his nose and mouth. “Doctor. Maybe a psychiatrist. Centers for Disease Control.”

I sighed. “The people in the pub didn’t believe it and they were there watching it happen. What if you undo what you did, Sean? Make the Wyvern transform me back.”

“It’s not the game. Look… The Wyvern became remorseful that he turned Maeve into a Grawl, a really pretty Grawl, but a Grawl nonetheless. It pulled in a breath and blew green fire over Maeve transforming her back… See… Nothing happened. No green fire. No Neale.”

Liam looked puzzled. “Maybe there is an interdimensional portal in the seat where you were sitting? We need to go back to the pub and sit you in the same seat before the portal closes forever.”

“The pub owner was pretty upset with us but I’m willing if you all are.”

Nora and the others stood. “All right, let’s get going.”

Wrapping a coat tightly around me the others looked at me strangely. “What? These things bounce all over the place.”

Liam laughed again and I was positive he had never seen a woman’s breasts before.

We raced back to the pub and the pub owner simply waved as we entered. “Hello Ciara. You guys are starting your game a little late this week.”

He was staring at me like nothing had ever happened. No one in the pub seemed to notice us at all. We all took our seats and nothing happened. I never changed back. Sean tried his reverse Wyvern story again and still nothing.

The pub owner came over to us. “You know the drill. Let’s see your ID.”

“We were in here just a short while ago.”

“Rules are rules.”

“You don’t remember me catching on fire?”

The pub owner frowned and ignored my question. “Your dressed a little odd tonight, Ciara. Where’s your dress?”

“Who is Ciara?”

“I don’t have all night. Show me your ID and I’ll get you your pints.”

Everyone started pulling out their ID as did I, but when I opened my wallet my driver’s license showed my name as Ciara O’Conner. I stared at it in disbelief. Am I going crazy?

The pub owner left to get a round of pints for us. I turned to my group of friends. “What’s my name?”

“Neale. What’s up?”

“The people here think I’m Ciara. Look at my driver’s license.”

Liam took my license and looked it over. “Ciara O’Conner. Just as I thought.”

Shaking my head, I stared at Liam. “What are you talking about?”

“The interdimensional portal obviously closed. Everything has changed to adapt to the new you. These people have always seen you as Ciara.”

“Tell me why the three of you still know me as Neale.”

“It’s all about causality and special proximity. I think we were all too close to the portal when it opened and we weren’t here when it closed so we weren’t affected.”

Our pints arrived and I eagerly took a large sip. Getting drunk might be a good thing right now. “All right, Liam. If you’re right, how do we undo this?”

Liam frowned. “You’re talking about somehow creating an interdimensional portal. Scientists have only theorized it. Perhaps you sat on a microscopic black hole or something. It’s really cool it happened, but there’s no one on earth who could begin to recreate this. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you’re stuck as Ciara O’Conner.”

Everyone sat with their wide eyes and mouths open. After a minute of stunned silence Nora took matters into her own hands. “All of this time we’ve not even asked how you feel, Neale, or should I be calling you Ciara?”

“I’m so confused right now. I feel perfectly fine except I’m not me! How can these people not know me for who I am? If their memories changed, why didn’t my clothes or the photos in my house?”

Liam looked thoughtful. “Maybe they did. We should go back and check.”

“Maybe if I sit here long enough I’ll burst into flames again. If I’m lucky they’ll burn me to a nice crispy powder.”

Nora patted my back. “Don’t let this get you down. There’s bound to be a reason for it all.”

“Sorry to interrupt, but I think I have an idea as to what happened to you, Neale.”

We all looked up to see twenty-two-year-old Aiden Quinn standing there. He graduated with Sean and was quite the talk of the town with all the young ladies. Apparently, they find his dark hair, brown eyes, broad shoulders, chiseled muscular body, and handsome face interesting.

“How do you know my name when everyone else doesn’t?”

“We should all go somewhere more private.”

“We can go back to my house.”

We quickly drank our pints and hurried back to my house. Just to check, I glanced in my closet and looked at the photos on the wall. My clothes were girl’s clothes and the photos of me had changed.

“It’s like I changed and the world changed with me.”

Aiden was over at the mantle. He picked up the sword, examined it, and put it back. “Not exactly. I was in the pub when you burst into flames. Something happened to me at the same time.”

Aiden walked away from the mantle and raised his arm. The sword flew into his hand.

Liam almost fell backward over the couch. “Whoa! You created the interdimensional portal?”

“No, Liam. It’s magic. I’m a descendant of Breandan Quinn.”

I recognized the name but everyone around the room looked dumbfounded. “I know that name from stories my mom told me.”

“Stories about Maeve the dragon slayer. My dad told me similar stories of how Breandan met an injured Maeve and how together they killed the last of the dragons.”

“But those were just stories. What has this got to do with me becoming a girl?”

“In your stories, what happened as the golden dragon was dying?”

“My mom told me that the dragon spoke to Breandan and Maeve telling them the world needed dragons. After that day magic left the world.”

Aiden smiled and I could see why the girls like him so much. I almost smacked my head for thinking that way.

“Exactly. Do you remember what the policeman said about the mine?”

Sean perked up. “Giant bats came out of the caverns.”

“Precisely. I believe those weren’t bats but dragons and that magic has once again been returned to the world. As you burst into flames I felt like I stuck my fingers in a light socket. I was momentarily stunned by the feeling. When the sensation stopped and you had all left I was rather confused by it all. People were angrily chatting about your stunt and I thought a good stiff drink was in order. My pint was empty and I saw one at the end of the bar. It moved into my hands of its own accord. My ancestor, Breandan, was a powerful magic user.”

Liam laughed. “Magic? Dragons? How does that explain our girl Ciara?”

“Maeve had the blood of the red dragon in her. It has passed down her family line until it came to Neale, whom I suspect is the last of the family line. When the dragons emerged, magic was restored to the land and the magic of the red dragon blood restored Neale to the way things were. Neale became Maeve because of magic that resides within the dragon blood in his body. It’s why the ruby in the sword is glowing.”

“But I’m not Maeve. Maeve could control fire and had extra strength and speed.”

“I believe the fire was the manifestation of your red dragon magic much like the electric shock I felt was the manifestation of my type of magic. Have you tried your strength or speed?”

Nora glared at Aiden. “You’re not helping. All this talk about hocus pocus stuff. There’s an easy way to prove you wrong.” Nora pulled out a lighter. “If it burns Ciara she doesn’t have dragon’s blood.”

“You want me to stick my hand in the fire?”

“Only long enough for you to know if it’s going to burn you.”

I was feeling a little defiant. None of this makes sense and to shut one more person up, one more crazy idea about how this happened to me, it would be worth it. “All right. Do it.”

Nora struck the lighter and a bright yellow flame emerged. Cautiously I moved my fingers into the flame quickly the first time then again more slowly. Finally, I held my fingers in the flame and I felt nothing. Taking a long strand of my hair, I put it in the flame and nothing happened to it.

“Oh my God. Maybe Aiden’s right.”

Stepping over to the couch with Sean and Liam sitting in it, I bent down and lifted the end quite easily.

Aiden smiled. “All my life I heard the stories and thought they were fables. Maeve was real. Breandan was real. Dragons and magic were real; are real.”

“What do we do now? Are we supposed to kill the dragons?”

“We go to sleep.” Aiden started to gather his things.

“Huh?”

“It’s late and we can’t solve the world’s problems gabbing all night. I say we get some rest and get together first thing in the morning.”

Liam stood quickly. “Wait a minute. If this is all true, then why do the four of us still know Neale as Neale?”

Aiden paced back and forth. “I’m not sure. Maybe by morning you’ll also forget but I don’t think so. Just go home and get some sleep. Ciara needs time alone to absorb the changes.”

I nodded without thinking. One by one they left the house and promised to be back first thing in the morning. When I closed the door, I stared a moment at the sword before crawling into my bed and falling fast asleep.

***

I woke feeling well rested and full of energy but something was pinching my hips. “What a strange dream.” Even as I spoke the words aloud I knew something was still wrong. Sitting up quickly I could feel the weight on my chest shift and my long red hair fell in front of my eyes. “It wasn’t a dream.”

Rushing into the bathroom, I stared at myself in the mirror. I still had the full red lips, green eyes, and long red hair. This can’t be happening. Feeling a sudden urge to pee, I gratefully pulled off my tight pants and paused while looking at the toilet. I must sit down now. Fighting the urge to scream I sat down and a rush of urine came out of me in a quite uncontrolled manner.

After I got up and flushed the toilet I looked back at the mirror. Liam said I’m stuck like this. Glancing down at my pants and underwear on the ground I noticed they had changed. I took off my top and by the time my shirt had touched the floor it looked more like a blouse. Shrugging, I stared at my naked body in the mirror. Mom had always said that Maeve was the fairest girl of the realm. If I resembled Maeve then I wouldn’t doubt that was the case. I’m beautiful.

Opening the shower door, I noticed my shampoos and soap had changed. I’m living another person’s life. This can’t be real and yet somehow it is. If I’m not dreaming, then I must find a way to fix it. If this is the work of dragons, then dragons can undo it. Maybe if I kill the dragons then I can be returned to who I was. Turning on the shower I stepped inside and spent a lot of time learning about my new parts. Everything seemed to move differently and there was no question that my body was far more sensitive than ever before. My hair took a lot of time to clean.

By the time I stepped out of the shower I started to feel better. This body feels better than my old one and at least now I have an idea of how to return to my old self. I just have to kill five measly dragons. How hard can that be? They said they looked like big bats, right? After drying myself up, finding a hair dryer for my hair and a brush, I must admit I’m starting to like the way I look. Perhaps it’s because I always admired my mom. I’m not certain that’s the only reason though.

Moving into my bedroom I opened the drawers and found women’s underthings. At this point I wasn’t surprised but as I held up the delicate, lacey things I began to wonder what’s in my closet. Slipping on a pair of lacey white panties and a white bra that took a few moments of fighting with, I opened the closet and thumbed through the dresses. Dress after dress after dress. Sighing I closed my eyes and picked one. Finding I had chosen a white dress, I slipped it on and was surprised to feel energized and elegant. When looking in the mirror I was stunned at my final state. My clean brushed hair shone like polished bronze and the feminine clothing did little to hide my lithe and sexy body.

As I stepped out into the living room I screamed seeing Aiden sitting on the couch.

“Sorry. I knocked but you must not have heard me. It’s cold outside and I’m still learning my abilities. Locked doors aren’t so locked to me anymore. You look breathtaking. I take it you’re adjusting?”

What do I say to that? If I say thank you am I acknowledging that this isn’t so bad? Remembering my fingers in the fire yesterday, I had an idea. I need a show of strength. No one should fool with me. It wasn’t even an effort as I looked at the fireplace with the wood stacked inside and I caused it to burst into flames. “It’s a little chilly in here too. Is that how you do your magic? You just kind of think about it?”

“You didn’t answer my question. Yes, I do just sort of think about it, but my magic is different. I have no control over fire, water, earth, or air. I can move things and make illusions. I can unlock doors and create balls of electrical energy.”

“You really believe those were dragons and they brought magic back?”

“The stories our parents taught us could have been fiction, but it all lines up.”

“If we kill the dragons then the magic is gone again and I can go back to the way things were.”

“Quite possibly, but I think there’s more to all of this. I’d like to spend some time with you comparing stories.”

“Thank you, by the way.”

“Thanks for what?”

“For saying I look nice. I’m pretty confused about all of this.”

“I understated it on purpose as I didn't want you to feel uncomfortable. Did you know that Breandan and Maeve never got together but there was a real spark between them?”

I narrowed my eyes at Aiden. “I didn't hear that.”

“You’re adjusting then?”

“I don’t have much choice. In a way, I’m reminded of my mom when I look in the mirror. It’s comforting in a situation that should be causing me a lot of discomfort.”

“It’s a small town. I knew your parents. They were wonderful people. I was sorry to hear what happened.”

“Why are you being so nice to me? Less than a day ago I was Neale O’Conner. You don’t even know me.”

“I don’t know a lot about magic, Ciara, but I witnessed people forget who you were before. It’s entirely possible that the magic also affects those immediately around you, allowing us to accept the reality of who you are now, just as the magic might also be helping you adapt. Over time, we might all forget who you once were.”

“I don’t know who I am any longer.”

“Forgive my saying this, but you remind me a lot of your mother. Not because you look a lot like her now, but it’s the person inside. She was kind and selfless. Everyone knew her for that and I think that rubbed off on you.”

“How do you know I’m kind or selfless? If I could be half what my mom was, then I would be happy with myself.”

Aiden stood and took a step closer to me. His eyes bored deeply into mine. His hand reached out and a finger pointed at my chest. It was so close to me I almost bolted. “You treat your friends like family. I’ve seen that in you over the years. I always envied your ability to be so well liked. Don’t sell yourself short. Character comes from the heart, not from your outside shell.”

A knock on the front door startled me. I was grateful for the interruption as my emotions were running amok and I needed the distraction to settle myself. Nora, Sean, and Liam were hopping up and down on the front step trying to keep warm but one look at me and they all gasped.

“Whoa! You’re wearing a dress.” Liam laughed as he stepped inside.

Sean looked me up and down and pulled his sweater up over his nose and mouth.

Nora came in and closed the door behind her. She looked at Aiden and then at me. “You look amazing! Did we interrupt something?”

Sighing, I tried hard to get over my embarrassment. “There’s not much else to wear, I’m not contagious, and no, you didn’t interrupt anything.”

Nora giggled. “That’s a shame.”

Liam sat down on the couch and pulled out his laptop. “You all have to see this.” With a few clicks, he spun the computer around as he played various newscasts from nearby Dublin. “It’s all over the place. People have spotted dragons flying in the air. Farmers are finding cattle and sheep mutilated. The rest of the world is claiming it’s a hoax. There was also a large seismic disturbance in the north. Dragons… real dragons…”

Sean pulled his sweater down and pointed at me. “Lucky thing we have the dragon slayer with us.”

“You think that’s why I was transformed?”

Aiden sat in one of my chairs and looked contemplative. “I’m not so sure. I still believe that the arrival of the dragons is the trigger for the return of magic to the world and that magic caused the dragon blood in Ciara to re-establish itself. I don’t think Ciara is called to kill the dragons. We have new weapons now. Why would we need a single person with an antiquated sword to kill dragons?”

“We could use surface to air missiles. That would be cool to watch.” Liam was back to tapping away on his computer.

“Since the return of dragons is likely key to the return of magic and my transformation, then it makes sense that the removal of the dragons removes the magic and everything is returned to normal. It seems rather clear this wasn’t an interdimensional portal. No offense, Liam. It was a great theory.”

“None taken.”

Nora raised her hand.

Aiden laughed. “You don’t need to raise your hand to ask a question, Nora.”

“Sorry. Too many years in school rotted my brains. I’m not sure you can suggest that the removal of dragons removes magic and everything returns to normal. If it took magic to transform you, then when you kill the last dragon and magic vanishes, there is no magic left to transform you back.”

Sean had been rummaging in the kitchen. “I think Nora’s right. We can’t assume that.”

“But then you’re saying I’m stuck no matter what happens.”

The room went quiet for a bit as they all thought about the consequences.

Nora tried to get everyone back on track. “Ciara, I know this must be hard on you but being a woman isn’t all that bad and you’re absolutely gorgeous. Other women would give their right arm to look half as good as you. If you’re stuck, at least you’re stuck in a good way.”

“My mom was always a cup is half full kind of person. Maybe it’s the magic but I’m not feeling like I put on a poodle costume for ComicCon.”

Liam pushed his glasses back up his nose. “Huh? I don’t get the entire poodle costume thing.”

“I’m embarrassed, but not as badly as I should be.”

“Ahh. I get it now. What does the poodle costume got to do with that?”

Sean came back into the living room with a sandwich in his hand. “I think it’s rather cool that magic and dragons are back even though my dungeon master skill set will not likely be needed much anymore. I just don’t understand how one acquires magical abilities.”

Aiden offered some suggestions. “Maeve acquired her control of fire through contact with the blood from the red dragon. This was passed down the family line and now Ciara has that skill. I’m not sure how my ancestor acquired his abilities but obviously blood has some relationship to acquiring power.”

A loud knock on the door sounded. Opening the door, a police officer stood there. “People are gathering in the town hall in thirty minutes to discuss the dragon problem.”

“Dragon problem?”

“Have you been living in a hole? The country is overrun with dragons.”

The police officer turned and left. Moving back into the living room I looked at our small group. “I guess we need to go hear what this is all about.”

Aiden suggested we not offer up a lot of insight and lay low as there was no telling how people might feel about two people so closely connected to the dragons. Everyone agreed and we headed to the town hall.

***

The hall was bursting at the seams with people. Farmers were shouting about the death of their sheep and cattle. Others had claimed they’ve seen the great dragons flying through the sky. Some shouted that great plumes of fire scorched the earth.

The Chief of Police took the stage and hushed everyone. “Here’s what we know so far. It appears that two men working a mine near Aughavannagh used some dynamite to extend their mine shaft. That explosion triggered a methane blast that opened an extensive, previously hidden cavern system. Five giant crystalline eggs were discovered in those caverns and they all appeared hatched. There have been sightings and video footage of dragons. Yes, actual dragons in the mountainous region around Lugnaquilla mountain. In total, seven livestock animals were slaughtered last night.”

Someone shouted from the side of the hall. “What can we do? How do we kill them?”

The Chief frowned. “There is evidence to suspect that conventional gunfire doesn’t work against the mighty creatures, although I’m not so sure about that. The military has been alerted and is trying to devise a way of killing them or capturing one to discover their weaknesses.”

There was a great commotion outside of the hall and people pushed and squeezed themselves to see what was going on. A man had three sheep in the back of a trailer. They had been gutted by large razor-sharp talons; their throats a bloody mangled mess.

The man stood on the back on the trailer and brandished a shotgun. “Who’s going to do something?”

The Police Chief was trying to maintain order and he almost had it back under control when a woman came screaming into the square. “My boy! My boy! Those creatures killed my boy!”

In a selfish moment, I thought how my life had been changed by these dragons. All my plans dashed. I saw the anger and frustration of the people all around me and it fueled my own anger. They’re afraid and if history is true, then perhaps I alone can defeat the dragons.

Pandemonium had broken out amongst the crowd as I made my way to the edge of the square. I started walking home when Nora, Sean, Aiden, and Liam quickly caught up to me and escorted me back to my house. With the door closed behind I felt the enormity of the world pressing down on my shoulders. Glancing up at the sword on the mantle, I took it down.

“It was my ancestor Meave that killed the dragons before.”

Aiden shook his head. “Don’t even think about it, Ciara.”

“Why not? Didn’t you see what these dragons are doing? Don’t you see what it’s done to me?”

“There’s no guarantee this will solve anything.”

Liam looked confused. “Am I missing something?”

Aiden ignored him and his eyes held mine steadfastly. “Don’t do it.”

Nora’s eyes widened. “No way. You’re not thinking of trying to go after the dragons? Didn’t you see those sheep?”

Sean pushed himself between Aiden and me. “Just to be perfectly clear, I didn’t cause any of this, right?”

I kept my eyes on Aiden. “I’m going.”

Aiden’s shoulders went back and his chin came up. “You’re not.”

“Look at me! I’ve got red hair, boobs, and frilly dresses!”

Sean looked between me and Aiden and stepped back.

Aiden pointed his finger at me. “Don’t make this all about you!”

I glared back at him. “Dragons come and you become handsome and have magic. Of course, you don’t want anything to happen to the dragons.”

Nora giggled nervously. “Aiden was always handsome.”

“That’s beside the point. He has nothing to lose.”

Now I’m angry and blushing.

Aiden pushed his point. “Didn’t you hear anything the police chief said? Guns don’t seem to work against the dragons. You’re going to get yourself killed.”

“So, what if I do?”

“You’re just like Maeve!”

“What’s that supposed to mean?”

Sean, Nora, and Liam sat down on the couch and watched the fireworks with fascination. Nora mused, “Better than any soap opera I’ve ever watched.”

“Maeve was stubborn.”

“Maeve was brave.”

“No, she wasn’t.”

“I’m going first thing in the morning.”

“Then I’m going with you.”

Liam was clicking away on his computer. “I wonder if we could follow you with a drone and a camera. That would be great footage.”

My eyes were focused on Aiden and his blind desire to be by my side. “You shouldn’t go.”

“I’m needed for at least the gold dragon and you know it.”

“Fine. Meet me here at seven.”

I expected everyone would leave on their own accord but as I turned towards my room, Nora caught my arm and whispered. “What was all that about between you two?”

“What was what?”

“You like him.”

“What? No!”

“And he likes you.”

“You’ve been reading too many romance novels, Nora.”

“I wear black, I play Dungeons and Dragons with the three of you while drinking beer and you think I read romance novels? You’re the one that called him handsome.”

Sighing, I went into my room and closed the door.

***

It was after the group disbanded with a promise of returning at first light that I raced to pack my things. The sun had just set and I gathered some clothes, water, food, and my sword and drove to Glenmalure which is as far as I can go northeast towards Lugnaquilla mountain. In the dead of night, I forged ahead, hiking through the cold treeless landscape. I hiked for many hours until I came to a small lake lined with white boulders and green mosses. There I rested until the first rays of sunlight cast themselves upon me.

Stretching slowly, I walked over to the little lake to freshen up and as I knelt at the edge of the water my reflection caught me off guard. All night as I hiked I was very aware of my new body, but this morning I felt oddly at peace with who I now was. My reflection once again reminded me so much of my mom that I felt guilty about my choices.

She was always so giving and selfless. What if Nora is right and that I won’t transform back if the dragons are all killed? Is my anger justified? My eyes stared at my reflection and my heart broke. I’ve dishonored my mom by acting in anger. I made her a promise.

Something large moved behind me and I turned to see an enormous red dragon staring at me.

“You’ve come to kill me.”

The dragon’s voice was raspy and smoke drifted in delicate swirls around its fangs. Enormous would be an understatement. With a single bite, it could cleave me in two. That Maeve killed five of these fearsome creatures was beyond astonishing.

“You changed me into a girl. You killed the livestock. You killed a boy. As much as my anger burns and killing you was my first intent, I’m here for answers.”

“You remind me of Maeve. The pain I feel is great.”

“How can you remember? You weren’t the dragon Maeve killed.”

“Dragons are magical beings. We inherit the memories of our ancestors.” It was spoken in such a nonchalant way.

I can’t believe I’m speaking with a dragon.

“You bear my mark, my blood.”

My anger flared. “I didn’t and now I do! Look at me!” I turned away to catch my reflection once again and my anger dissipated. The dragon moved across the moss as if to get a better view of me. Turning to face the dragon once again I dropped to my knees and placed my sword in front of me. “I’ll kill you if I must, but I’m not here for that. I ask you and the other dragons to leave the people and livestock alone. For your promise, I sacrifice myself. My death for your promise.”

There was anger in the dragon’s tone. “That is not acceptable!”

“Then do with me as you will, for I will not kill you for my own personal gain even though it would restore me. I have no idea if I could kill you anyways. I’m not a dragon slayer like Maeve.”

I could hear the air pull into its lungs and a blast of fire poured over me. This was like no fire I had ever seen before and the ground instantly turned to ash and the waters behind me boiled but I was unscathed. After what felt like an eternity the fire subsided.

My eyes narrowed and I raised my white-hot sword; my hand not even feeling the heat. “You tried to kill me!”

“Forgive me, but I had to know for sure.”

“The blood of the red dragon indeed flows through my veins protecting me from your fire, but I’m sure you can simply slice me in two with those claws of yours. Go ahead. You’ve made my life a living hell as you have for all the people.”

“I cannot kill my own blood.”

“If you won’t kill me then what of the promise?”

“The promise to not kill the livestock or hurt the people?”

“Yes.”

I was certain it laughed. “Dragons don’t kill livestock and we only defend ourselves from humans.”

“But I’ve seen the torn apart livestock. I heard of the boy that was killed.”

“For all the years humans have lived, they are still not very intelligent. Without dragons, there is no magic. Without magic, there are no magical beasts. Our return restores magic to the world but also awakens those magical beasts that have remained dormant. At night, those beasts seek to kill and destroy. Dragons feed on these evil magical beasts, not livestock or people.”

“How can I return to the way I was? If the dragons all died, and the magic lost once again, what would happen to me?”

“You would remain as you are now without your magical abilities to control fire.”

I stood and turned my back on the great beast as tears came to my eyes.

“Do not mourn for your old life, for you are destined for something much greater. I am Ayzaisdur.”

I knelt back down again with my face turned away. I could sense the dragon coming closer as it sniffed at me. Its presence was oddly comforting.

“Unless you’re lying then humans have misjudged you. My ancestor, Maeve, killed you for the wrong reason. I am Ciara, I guess.”

“Dragons do not lie. Sadly, I killed Maeve’s brother after he attacked me. Maeve was in her rights to kill me.”

Standing, I turned to face the dragon that was now only inches from me. “No. Maeve was wrong to avenge her brother. She acted out of hate instead of mercy. If the dragons can speak, why didn’t they speak to the humans and tell them these things were not your fault?”

“Only those magically gifted to speak with dragons can hear our words.”

Bowing my head, I took a moment to compose myself. “I’m sorry for coming to kill you. I apologize for my ancestor’s actions. You have my permission to take my life. It’s not like it is worth living now that I’m changed anyways.”

“Look up, child.”

Lifting my head, I saw five dragons surrounding me. I marveled at how they could be so silent in their arrival.

“You are blood of our blood. You are our kin. We cannot kill you. You have no idea who you are and yet you so willingly wish to end your life. Killing us will not restore you but if you were killed, all life on this world would perish.”

“What do you mean life will perish without me?”

“Ciara!”

I saw Aiden charging down the hill towards me. The muscles of the dragons tensed. “Aiden, stop!” I stepped forward placing myself between the dragons and Aiden. Aiden skidded to a halt a mere twenty paces from me.

“Ciara, you’re in danger.” His eyes darted back and forth at the dragons.

“No, Aiden. I’m not in danger and I won’t let you harm the dragons. We were wrong about them.”

I knew the dragons were moving behind me as I watched Aiden’s wide eyes. The head of the red dragon brushed my hair and I reached out my hand to rest it on the cheek of the giant creature. I was amazed by my own actions and yet comforted by its closeness.

Aiden’s face was pale as the red dragon sniffed at him. Black smoke drifted towards Aiden with each breath.

The gold dragon had circled around behind Aiden. “There is something interesting about this human.”

Aiden turned towards the voice. “You can speak?”

The golden dragon eyed Aiden warily. “Of course, we can speak but few humans can hear.” It turned to look at the red dragon. “Ayzaisdur, this is a new era and we are young. Our magic is not complete and the destroyer of life has awakened. Five kindred souls are required.”

I could feel the vibration from the muscles deep within the red dragon’s throat. “It is time to forge a new alliance. I agree Myrmidon.”

“What are you speaking of? Destroyer of life? Five kindred souls?”

“Dragons hold in check evil magical creatures. Those that kill the livestock are no more than fleas compared to Dozzozdu the Destroyer. A thousand years before Maeve, the dragons combined their power to contain Dozzozdu. When we were slain and magic left the land, Dozzuzdu’s prison was removed but without magic it fell into a deep sleep much like the evil minions that prey on the livestock. Magic has once again returned and Dozzozdu is free of its bindings and we are too young to imprison it. It is time for a dragon and human alliance if any of us are to live. It is why we need you to live, Ciara.”

“I was wrong about you. I came to kill you. The people of earth believe dragons are to be feared. They fear what they don’t understand.” I couldn’t control my emotions as tears fell from my eyes. I wrapped both arms around the red dragon’s neck. “I’ll do whatever I can to protect you all.”

Aiden tapped me on my shoulder. “I must have missed something.”

Fighter jets roared across the sky directly above us and I suddenly realized we were all in much danger. “Go! Hide! These flying machines are dangerous. We’ll go back and try to convince people you’re not a threat. Just keep yourself safe and try not to kill anyone.”

“You have our word, Ciara, Kin to Dragons.”

With giant downward thrusts of their wings they flew up into the air just as two missiles were launched. I could feel the magic of the dragons as the blue dragon froze the two missiles and the sliver dragon brushed them aside with a strong gust of wind.

Aiden grabbed my hand. “Come on. They can look after themselves.”

Together we raced back to the cars.

***

It was late in the day by the time we reached the cars. We hadn’t even spoken much on the hike back and having two cars made the last bit of our journey back home even more silent. Is Aiden upset with me? I didn’t even realize it for a long time that we held hands. What does that mean?

Arriving home Nora, Sean, and Liam were waiting for us at the front door. Aiden must have called ahead when he got a signal.

Aiden ushered me into a chair and almost pushed me down as he hovered above me. “What the hell was that all about?”

I looked from person to person and didn’t see a lot of support there. “What part? The part where I snuck out last night or the part where we spoke with dragons?”

“All of it! Start talking because I was under the impression we were going up there together and the first glimpse I had of you a dragon was breathing fire on you.”

“You saw that?”

No one else even uttered a word. It was as if they weren’t even in the room. Aiden looked angrily at me and my heart softened.

“I’m sorry.”

“That’s it?”

“I’m sorry I took off last night. I didn’t want anyone hurt for my stupid actions and my misguided vendetta. I got caught up in the town’s anger and pain and I was feeling down about my situation. I was very angry. As soon as all of you left I rushed out of here and took to the trails. I arrived at the spot you found me before the sun came up and rested a bit. When I went down to the lake and saw my reflection I remembered something my mom once told me. She said Maeve acted out of anger and she never wanted me to do the same. I realized everything I was doing was out of selfishness and if I wanted to be right with myself I couldn’t kill the dragon. At least not for the reasons I went there with.”

Sean looked mystified. “So, you decided not to kill the dragon?”

“That’s right. I would defend myself but I wasn’t going to kill something needlessly. I need a good reason for it and removing magic to turn me back was selfish. When I turned around the red dragon was there and it spoke to me.”

Liam was surprised. “It really spoke to you?”

Aiden was still agitated. “Wait… it gets better.”

“I told the dragon to take my life in exchange for leaving the livestock and people alone.”

“That’s when it tried to kill you with its fire?”

“Not really. It said it couldn’t kill one of its own kin but it had to be sure I was infused with dragon blood so it blew fire on me.”

Nora pulled at the ends of my hair. “Your hair and dress are fine. It must not have been much of a fire.”

Aiden paced back and forth. “I saw it, Nora. The flames were so hot that the lake behind Ciara instantly began to boil. This was like no fire I’d ever seen and it simply washed over Ciara like she wasn’t even there.”

I sighed and went on. “We had a bit of a conversation and I learned that when magic was restored with the hatching of the dragons, evil, dormant, magical creatures also woke up. They are the ones that killed the livestock and the boy. I then apologized for my desire to kill them and for Maeve’s actions and once again offered my life as restitution. That’s when the rest of the dragons arrived as well as Aiden.”

Aiden still looked flustered. “It was the craziest thing I’ve ever seen. Ciara was standing in the middle of five dragons and all I could think about was her being turned into a shish-ka-bob. I was about to blast them all with magic when Ciara stepped in front and yelled at me to stop. That’s when the red dragon snuggled up to Ciara like a pet dog and the gold dragon started talking about Destructo something.”

“Dozzozdu the Destroyer.”

“Destructo, Dozzozdu, whatever…”

“What’s a Dozzozdu? I’ve never heard of one of them in a Dungeons and Dragons game.”

“Apparently it’s a beast stronger than all of the dragons put together and now it is unleashed on the earth and the dragons need our help to put it back into its prison.”

Aiden added some additional content. “Oh, yes. They said if Ciara were killed all life on earth would perish and they want five kindred souls to help them. I suspect Ciara is one of them.”

Sean was always a little dubious about things. “What’s so special about Ciara and how is she tied to the end the world as we know it?”

Aiden was frustrated but his eyes softened greatly when he looked at me. “We never had time to find out. Fighter jets came to blast the dragons with missiles.”

Liam was curious. “And?”

I sighed. “The dragons brushed aside the missiles like they were feathers.”

Liam leaned forward. “What were they like?”

“They’re huge. The red dragon is the largest. It has fangs as long as my forearm. They’re each a different color. Red, blue, brown, gold, and silver. My mom told me that each one represents an element and the gold dragon is aligned with non-elemental magic.”

Nora started pointing to each of us and counting. “You said five kindred spirits? If Ciara is one and Aiden is another since you could hear them speak. That leaves three more…”

Aiden and I looked around the room and then at each other. “They’re the only ones the magic didn’t alter their memories of me. Maybe it’s a sign we’re the five?”

We could see Sean counting on his fingers as well. “There are five dragons. If red is fire and Ciara has red dragon blood in her then that makes sense. Gold is the non-elemental magic dragon and Aiden is a magic user so that makes sense. In our Dungeons and Dragons game, Liam is a frozen ape so that might align with the blue water dragon, and Nora is an earth mage which seems to align with the brown dragon. That leaves the silver dragon and air magic. I’m not sure how I fit into this.”

Nora started giggling. “Maybe it’s all your hot air?”

Sean scowled. “Not funny.”

Liam was looking at Nora. “Just to be certain everyone understands, my character was an ape-like character from the land of ice and snow, not a frozen ape. So, what’s next? Does Ciara introduce us to her new friends?”

“Not yet. We need to convince everyone the dragons aren’t out to harm their livestock or people. I think we need to start with the Chief of Police. We need to stop the military from hunting them.”

Liam was anxious. “Let’s go!”

Aiden held back a moment. “We’ll catch up in a second. Give us a moment.”

I suddenly felt like I was heading to the school principal’s office. When the others left Aiden grabbed me by the shoulders and stared into my eyes. “We’re in this together. Please don’t do that again.”

His eyes were pleading and something inside my heart lurched a little. “I won’t. I promise. What’s really going on with you?”

He looked at his hands like they were on fire and quickly removed them. “I’m sorry, Ciara. We need to find some time to talk but now we need to get down to the police station.”

I frowned. Something is going on with Aiden but then again, something is going on with me.

***

Rathdrum’s police station was normally a quiet little place but today it was bustling with activity. “I need to speak with the Chief of Police.”

“You all need to run along. We’re busy here.”

“It’s about the dragons. I’ve seen them… I’ve spoken to them.”

He looked at me like I was a crazy lunatic. “Stop wasting our time and get out of here!”

“Lieutenant! Let Miss O’Conner and her friends through.”

The man waved us on and we headed into a conference room. There were maps of Ireland and pins indicating where animals were found killed.

“I don’t have a lot of time, Miss O’Conner. The only reason I let you through is you’ve always been polite and respectable. What are you going on about?”

“Last night I hiked into the mountains and this morning I confronted the red dragon.”

“Tell me you killed it and I’ll find its head outside in the back of a truck.”

“It spoke to me, sir.”

“Did you share a cup of tea with it as well?”

“You need to believe me, sir. I’m not making this up. The dragons aren’t the ones killing the livestock or people. We must stop attacking them. They’re here to help us.”

“That’s about all I can handle. Get these kids out of here!”

“Sir! There’s a dragon overhead. Should we open fire?”

I grabbed the Police Chief’s arm. “No!” I ran outside into the town’s main square. People were running around like their hair was on fire. As soon as I stepped into the square the red dragon descended and stretched out its mouth towards my hand. In its claw, a horse-sized black wolf-like creature oozed black blood onto the ground.

“You should be in hiding. Why did you come here?”

“Jiarrass was captured. Humans used a large net with dancing blue light on it.”

“Jiarrass, the blue dragon?”

“Yes. This must stop. Jiarrass must be freed.”

“That creature you have. Is that…?”

“It is a black orchan. Just one of the magical creatures released that is killing the livestock.” Ayzaisdur shifted and tossed the beast onto the cobblestone pavers. It rolled several times leaving black goo and gore on the ground.

Turning I saw the entire police force standing with guns raised and pointed towards me and Ayzaisdur, the red dragon. “Lower your guns! Chief, come forward, please.”

“Don’t do it Chief! She’s obviously controlling that thing!”

“We don’t want to harm you, Miss O’Conner. Step aside.”

“I can’t do that, sir. Please listen to me.”

“I’ll not tell you again. Get away from the dragon!”

“No!”

“Fire!”

I could hear Aiden and the others screaming at the police to stop but everything happened so quickly. My hand thrust outward and wall of fire appeared. The bullets fizzled harmlessly against the flaming wall. When the gunfire stopped the wall of fire vanished and I looked at my hand in awe.

Glancing over at Aiden I knew we were in trouble. If the townspeople believed we were all a part of this, then our lives would be forfeit. Turning to Ayzaisdur I told the giant dragon to go but to leave the carcass behind.

With giant strokes of its wings, Ayzaisdur flew off.

I raised my hands in the air. “Sir, I ask that you hear me out.”

“I want them all in handcuffs.”

“They know nothing about this, sir. It’s not the dragons you need to worry about, it’s these creatures.” I kicked at the carcass. “At least do some forensics on the sheep and the boy to see if this black orchan matches…”

I was slammed to the ground and my wrists tightly bound by handcuffs. Straining my neck, I looked over to see Aiden and the rest of my group in similar positions. I know Aiden could easily get out of the cuffs as could I.

We were hauled to our feet and dragged into the police station. By that time the Police Chief was on the phone. “Yes, General. I have five people in custody right now. They’ve given me some cockamamie story about the dragons being here to help us. At least one of them seems to be controlling the red dragon. Yes, sir.”

The Police Chief glared at us but focused on me. “Why did you unleash these dragons on us?”

“It wasn’t me or any of us. Did you ever hear the story of Maeve the dragon slayer?”

“Everyone around here has heard those old folk tales. What does that have to do with you controlling the dragons?”

“I’m Maeve’s descendent. Her blood and the blood of dragons were mixed. I can speak with the dragons and ever since their return, magic has returned to the world. Everyone is in grave danger and we need the dragons to save us!”

“Magic?” He practically spit the words out.

“Yes, magic.” I burned through the cuffs and put my hands on the table. Aiden, taking my cue, magically unlocked his cuffs and they fell to the floor with a clunk. “Don’t think for a minute we can’t defend ourselves. You saw what I did to shield Ayzaisdur and me from your bullets. We’re here to cooperate with you. You must convince the military to release Jiarrass, the blue dragon.”

A police officer rushed into the room. “Sir, quick assessment of that creature shows its claws are a match for the mutilated sheep and cattle. There’s no way the dragon with much larger claws could have done that.”

The police chief waved his hand in dismissal.

“That creature is just one of many magical creatures that were released. Dragons feed on them, keeping them in check. There is a larger threat.”

The chief looked dubious. “Please tell me. I’m dying to know.”

“I believe the miners awoke the dragons. The return of dragons restores magic into the world but it also releases evil magical beasts that have remained dormant. Creatures like the black orchan and much, much worse. The dragons spoke to me about Dozzozdu the Destroyer. They called the black orchans fleas in comparison. It took the combined efforts of all the dragons working together to bind Dozzozdu the last time. When Maeve killed the dragons, magic left the world and Dozzozdu’s bindings vanished but without magic it became dormant. I don’t know any more at this time only that we need the dragons to save us all from Dozzozdu.”

“And the dragons need the five of us.” Aiden added.

“This is nonsense!”

I formed a fireball in the palm of my hand. “Is it? What would it take for you to believe us?”

Another officer stepped into the room. “Sir?”

“What?”

“On the Northern Ireland island of Arranmore seismic activity is spiking.”

I looked at the chief. “That might be Dozzozdu awakening.”

His eyes bored into mine. “You want me to believe you? Gather all the dragons together with all of you for the night under surveillance. If more animals are killed then I might believe you were not a party to their deaths.”

“And what’s to stop you or the military from swooping in and nuking us to kingdom come once we’re all together?”

“You’ll just have to trust me.”

“You’re not being very trusting of us right now. What if you let all of us go and you come with us to a secret location? I’ll try to convince the dragons to meet us and stay the night. You can see firsthand that we’re not the problem but I would need your word that you will help us free Jiarrass from the military.”

“Not until I can prove you’re not behind these killings. What if I don’t agree?”

“Then I…” Aiden looked sternly at me. “We… will take matters into our own hands.”

“You’d be signing your death warrants.”

“We need a show of good faith. Call the General and tell them not to injure or harm Jiarrass and to get someone up north to confirm what is going on.”

“Sir, tell me you’re not considering this.”

“Lieutenant, get the General on the phone.”

***

“If I’m coming with you, I‘ll be going as a civilian since my orders are to kill the dragons. No more calling me chief. Please call me Ray. Where do we need to go?”

“I think we need to stop at my house first and then we can head up to what’s left of the lake where I met the dragons the first time. Can we get the cuffs off the rest of the group? Except for Sean, he’s dangerous.”

Nora laughed and Sean looked a little peevish. “Why me?”

“Lieutenant, get these cuffs off. I’ll take a radio in case you need to get in touch with me. Ciara, lead the way as daylight is burning.”

Aiden pulled me aside as we walked to the house together. “You’re sure about this? None of the others have come face-to-face with the dragons and we’re not sure how the dragons will react.”

“If I’m wrong, then I’ve just did the biggest fail in the history of mankind. I know it’s the right thing to do, Aiden. Why are you looking at me like that?”

Looking back over his shoulder, Aiden glanced at the others. They were preoccupied with Chief Ray. He reached over to take my hand in his. “Please don’t blast me with a fireball, but I’d like to get to know you better. Maybe we can find some time to talk privately. Dinner perhaps.”

My heart was racing. The longer I spent as Ciara, the more feminine I became. Aiden has caught my eye numerous times already and I was struggling with the few remaining vestiges of my old male self. Is this the magic working through me? Am I becoming more and more like Maeve? Looking at Nora, before all of this I secretly had a small crush on her, even with her quirky ways. Now I feel deep friendship and nothing more. Every time Aiden touches me I feel a spark.

“We’re on the verge of a Dozzozdu apocalypse, we’ve been partially arrested for being dragon protectors, and you’re asking me on a date?”

“I realize it’s bad timing.”

“Tell me about Maeve and Breandan.”

“In the stories my dad told me, Breandan was smitten by Maeve, but Maeve was broken by her losses. She had been consumed in her hatred for the dragons and that left no room for love. When Breandan took the lands and riches offered by the king, they separated. Years later Breandan sought Maeve out. He found that she had settled in a farming community not too far from here. He still yearned for her and he felt she loved him. However, in the years apart, Maeve had married and had a baby girl. Breandan left never to see Maeve again.”

“I never heard that part of the story. There’s a moral in there somewhere. Maeve missed what was right in front of her because she was so focused on her own hatred and situation.”

“What about you, Ciara?”

“Me?”

“What are you focused on right now keeping you away from what’s right in front of you?”

“My world’s been turned upside down. I’m in the middle of a Dungeons and Dragons fantasy. I’ve got fire coming out of my fingertips, a dragon that believes I’m key to the salvation of the world, and in the center of it all there’s this thing in the back of my mind.”

“What’s the thing in the back of your mind?”

“A few days ago, I was Neale. A guy.”

“You’re worried people will think less of you if you have dinner with me. I understand that, but have you noticed how Nora, Sean, and Liam aren’t saying anything about you wearing dresses or commenting on you being a young woman anymore? The magic continues to work on all of us. Maybe, in some way, this is a chance to right a wrong.”

“Listen to him, Ciara.”

I paused. “Ayzaisdur?”

“We are bound, Ciara. You can speak with me through your mind.”

Aiden was staring at me. “Ayzaisdur what?”

“Ayzaisdur is speaking to me in my mind.”

“What’s it saying?”

‘Ayzaisdur, we need to meet you all. We’re bringing the Chief of Police. Can you meet us at the lake this evening?’

“We will be there at your request, Ciara. If you want happiness, then follow your heart.”

“The dragons will meet us.”

“Anything else?”

“If you think we can squeeze in dinner sometime, then I’m up for it.”

“Really? No balls of fire? No, Aiden, are you completely nuts?”

“I can do balls of fire if you would rather. It doesn’t bother you?”

“That you were Neale before?”

I nodded.

“Not in the least.”

“You’re not put off by the long hair and dresses?”

“I was never gay before, Ciara. I love women in dresses with long hair.”

“Sorry. Sometimes it’s hard for me to grasp that I’m the only one that’s changed.”

“In many ways, this has changed all of us. Just more on the insides than outwardly. Dinner tonight then.”

“Are you planning on using a helicopter to fly us back into town?”

“You’ll see.”

When we arrived at my house I lit the fire with a flick of my finger and began gathering a few things. Aiden disappeared into the kitchen. Nora, Sean, and Liam sat in the chairs.

“We’re going to meet all the dragons, Ciara?”

“Yes, Nora. Ayzaisdur has agreed to meet us with the other dragons, All except for Jiarrass, the blue dragon.”

“Any word from the General, Chief, I mean Ray?”

“They have reluctantly agreed to suspend testing.”

Reaching for the sword above the mantle, I tied it carefully to my backpack.

“You’re bringing a sword, Miss O’Conner?”

“This sword belonged to Maeve. Please call me Ciara. I’m not good enough to be called Miss O’Conner. It taints my mother’s name.”

Aiden came back into the living room. “You’re wrong, Ciara. You’re living up to your mother’s name wonderfully.”

Nora glanced at Aiden and then at me. “Are we missing anything?”

“What would you be missing?”

Liam perked up. “That just proves it. We’re missing something. That wasn’t a denial or a positive affirmation which means Ciara is hiding something. I bet if we recorded her face in slow motion we would see telltale signs of micro-expressions.”

“I don’t know what you’re all talking about. We should get moving.”

Sean stood and hoisted his overly heavy backpack onto his back. “Denial and diversion. That’s normally my mode of operation. This is really cool that we’re going to meet all the dragons.”

Nora patted Sean’s pack. “What on earth do you have in there?”

“Dragon treats. It’s well known that offering a dragon a dragon treat will keep them from roasting you.”

I laughed and rolled my eyes.

“Don’t laugh, Ciara. Just because you can’t be roasted by them doesn’t me we can’t.”

“Everyone ready? We probably need two cars. I’ll drive mine.”

Aiden looked a little forlorn. “I guess that leaves mine.”

Ray and Nora drove with me and Liam and Sean went with Aiden. On the way up to the mountains, Nora and Ray peppered me with questions.

“What’s going on between you and Aiden?”

“He asked me to dinner.”

“Wow. A dinner date.”

“It’s not a date, just a dinner so we can talk and compare story notes.”

“Sure, it is.”

“What stories are you talking about?”

“Haven’t you heard of the stories of Maeve the dragon slayer, Ray?”

“Some.”

“My mom passed the stories down to me. Maeve was a remarkable young woman even if her anger clouded her judgement. She and Breandan Quinn killed the last dragon together. Aiden is his descendant.”

Nora bounced up and down in her seat. “That’s what this is all about! You and Aiden are rekindling the thousands of years old romance between Breandan and Maeve. Very romantic.”

I frowned. This is going to be a long drive.

***

After parking we hiked through the afternoon to come to the little lake. Some of the water had returned but the ground was still heavily scorched and Liam found shards of glass in the sandy soil next to the water.

“This is amazing! Glass formed by dragon fire.”

Sean looked up into the sky and pointed. “No, Liam. That’s amazing!”

Four dragons circled and dropped gracefully to the ground near us. Ray put his hand on his gun until I placed my hand over his. I walked out to greet Ayzaisdur who placed his cheek against my outstretched hand.

“Thank you for coming, Ayzaisdur.”

“It grieves us to wait here as Dozzozdu emerges and the evil creatures roam the land.”

“We can’t fight two wars at the same time. It’s best if we can get the people on our side.”

“Agreed.”

Aiden had come to my side. “Perhaps introductions are in order.”

“Ayzaisdur, is there any way Ray can hear your words?”

“I can use you as a conduit. You must be touching me and him at the same time.”

“Ray. Come to me please.”

“You’ve got to be kidding. That thing is huge and smoke is coming out of his nostrils.”

“Would you like to speak with Ayzaisdur?”

“I can’t do it from back here?” Sighing, he stepped forward.

“Hold my hand. Ayzaisdur can speak to you through me.”

“Ayzaisdur, this is the Chief of Police, Ray. Ray, this is Ayzaisdur.”

“We mean humans no harm, Ray. Ciara and her friends don’t control us.”

Ray’s eyes went wide. “Then why are you here? Why are there deaths happening?”

“Ciara has explained this to you, has she not?”

“She has, but it seems rather implausible.”

“And yet here you are, speaking through her to me.”

“All of you need to stay here tonight. I need evidence that you’re not killing the livestock or people.”

“I brought you evidence.”

“I need more.”

“Do not be surprised then when many more livestock are killed tonight.”

“We must know for sure.”

“Understood.”

Ray slipped his hand from mine and sat down on a rock. Liam, Sean, and Nora stepped up.

“We can hear the dragon’s words. How is this possible?”

Ayzaisdur spoke. “You are the five kindred spirits, gifted by magic to speak with dragons.”

Nora looked down at her hands. “But I don’t have magic like Aiden or Ciara.”

“Aiden and Ciara have magic by blood. The three of you can only use magic through contact with your associated kindred dragon.”

The brown dragon shifted and came close to Nora. It sniffed her. “This one is mine.”

Nora was so brave. She reached out to touch the smaller brown dragon. “I’m Nora Clarke.”

“My name is Inugami.”

Nora was practically jumping up and down with excitement. “What is this that I feel coursing through me?”

“Earth magic. Stretch out your hand and command the earth.”

Nora pointed at a boulder. “Rise.” The boulder tore itself from the earth. “Amazing!”

“The concept of kindred spirits is that together we are stronger than apart. The exception is Ciara and Aiden which are as strong independently.”

Aiden wandered over to the golden dragon. It was only slightly smaller than Ayzaisdur.

Ayzaisdur spoke. “Myrmidon, meet Aiden.”

I could see Aiden’s hand shaking as it stretched out to touch Myrmidon. “I’m sorry my ancestor killed your predecessor.”

“When are you going to tell her?”

Aiden looked confused. It was, after all, a strange first sentence from a dragon. Ayzaisdur chuckled. “Myrmidon is always rather blunt when it comes to relationships.”

“What are you talking about?” I was confused.

Nora giggled. “You’re the only one out of the loop on this one Ciara. Kind of nice knowing something you don’t for a change.”

Sean was staring at the silver dragon. “You’re not going to eat me, are you?”

“You look like a healthy-sized snack.”

Ayzaisdur turned and used its tail to bump Sean forward. “Meet Chimeras, Sean.”

“Hey!”

Chimeras sniffed Sean. “What’s that I smell?”

“Dragon treats. Would you like one?”

Sean pulled out a ball that looked to be a mix of peanut butter and red, raw meat.

Chimeras sniffed it, and carefully pulled it into his mouth. “Tasty.” The dragon then bumped Sean as a thank you.

“I guess everyone has now met each other. How are you doing over there, Ray?”

“They don’t seem like killers to me. Do you know how many worldviews have been shattered in the past few days? There are dragons, magic, and the dragons are apparently friendly.”

I could think of a few more. Going from a young man into a young woman. Dragons seem to enjoy dragon treats. “Friendly as long as we don’t try to harm them.”

Myrmidon was following Sean around like a puppy. “More treats, more treats.”

Liam looked like he needed a little consoling. “I’ve got no dragon. Even Sean gets a dragon.”

“Hopefully we can convince the General to let Jiarrass go, and they’re not kittens, Liam. We have no hold on them.”

“Their names are familiar to me. Isn’t Inugami, Japanese for spirit? And Chimeras is a type of rodent. Myrmidon was an historical people led by Achilles at the siege of Troy.”

Ayzaisdur stirred. “Our names have been re-acquired through time. It is getting dark. You should all be prepared.”

“Prepared for what?”

“Black orchans and wolpertingers will be hunting soon.”

Liam laughed. “Wolpertingers? Rabbits with wings and antlers?”

Aiden took my arm in his and led me a short distance away from the others. “Are you ready for dinner?”

“Here?”

“Of course.” Aiden pulled out a blanket, a few sticks, and some hotdogs he must have scrounged from my fridge.

“Cold hotdogs?”

“They don’t have to be cold. You can flame broil them.”

I sighed, not knowing what I should have expected. The bar was pretty low to begin with, but this seemed to be even lower than that. Plunking myself down on my more padded rear end, Aiden handed me a stick with a hotdog attached to it.

“Go ahead. Give it a small burst of flame.”

My small burst caused the hotdog and stick to vanish in a puff of black smoke.

“Try again. Think subtle, candle-sized flame.”

I rolled my eyes as he handed me another. This one was blackened with the merest flame, but it still tasted good. We laid back and stared up into the sky to watch the stars come out.

“Who would have ever figured these things would come to pass? Look at us. We’re eating hotdogs flame grilled by my fingers and surrounded by dragons.”

“It’s overwhelming, isn’t it?”

“I’m trying to figure you out, Aiden. Are you really interested in me, or are you just caught up in the whole dragon adventure?”

“Why would you think I’m not interested in you?”

“You’re the talk of all the young women in town. You’ve probably had twenty girlfriends by now. Why me? Of everyone around here, you can have your pick.”

“What makes you think I’ve been with twenty girls?”

“You’re handsome and somewhat nice. Isn’t that what women want?”

“Is that what you want?”

“You’re not answering my questions.”

“And you’re deflecting.”

We both went silent for a while. “You still haven’t told me why you have any interest in me.”

“Have you ever gone to a garden?”

“And I get another question. Yes. I’ve been to a garden.”

“One that has many types of flowers?”

“Yes. Many flowers.”

“Did you notice there is almost always just one flower, one kind of flower, that you think is the most beautiful?”

“I was always fond of the white roses.”

“And yet, all the other flowers are also beautiful. I’ve dated a few girls in town, but none of them ever has stirred my heart like when I first saw you. Perhaps it’s because you don’t know how beautiful you really are, or that you put yourself in danger for the lives of others, but you’re special. You’re the one white rose in the middle of the garden.”

His fingers gently moved strands of my hair away from my eyes. My heart was beating so quickly that I thought it might stop. I was somewhat grateful for the roar that sounded and brought us to our feet.

We rushed back to the group to see Ayzaisdur hovering a few feet above the ground. The other dragons were circled together. Ray had drawn his gun.

Ayzaisdur spoke. “Black orchans and wolpertingers are closing in on us. They’ve never coordinated their attacks like this before. This is the work of Dozzozdu. Get your sword ready, Ciara. Tell Ray his weapon is useless.”

The sounds of screams and roars filled the night as I ran to my bag and pulled the sword. “Ray! Watch the others. Your gun won’t harm these creatures.”

The roars went silent and with the darkness now complete, we waited anxiously. Suddenly there was movement. A black orchan jumped into our circle and Inugami bit down on its back, severing its head from its body. I felt a strong gust of wind as what I could only describe as a large bat with six inch fangs flung itself on me. My hand held its throat as I commanded fire to escape from my fingers even as my sword sliced through its abdomen.

Aiden rushed to my side and created a glowing gold sphere around everyone. Myrmidon was strengthening the shield as wolpertingers and black orchans smashed themselves into shield by the dozens. Ayzaisdur was outside of the shield and I could hear its breath inhale for a blast of fire. The night sky lit up like bomb had just gone off. Creatures collapsed all around us.

While Ayzaisdur focused on the south, I turned to the north side of our circle and from within me I could feel my magic flowing freely. I blasted a dozen creatures in a blaze as large as Ayzaisdur’s.

Sean reached for Chimeras and between the two of them, a strong gust of wind blew creatures outwards from us and Nora surprised us all by jumping up onto Inugami’s neck. Together they flew up and outside of our shield. Inugami ripped and tore the creatures while Nora stretched out her hands and shook the ground causing the beasts to fall and stumble.

In seconds, it was all over and the magical beasts that survived dissolved into the night.

Liam was examining the wolpertinger I had blasted. “This is no furry rabbit with antlers and wings!”

Ayzaisdur descended and brushed his cheek against me. “You are wounded, Ciara.”

The material on the shoulder of my jacket was torn and there was blood. “I don’t even feel it.”

Aiden was at my side a moment later and pulling open my jacket. My shoulder had a nice slice in it. I could see him murmuring and a golden glow emanated from his hands and my shoulder healed before my eyes.

“The wolpertinger must have got one of his claws into you.”

“I didn’t know you had healing magic.”

“Neither did I.”

Looking back down on the slice, there was no evidence it was ever there except for the tear in the clothing. Ray came over and sat down.

“I was useless. Tell me about this thing in the north.”

***

As soon as we got back to the cars and in cell phone range, Ray was on the phone.

“We’ll be back at the station in an hour. Yes, the dragons were there with me all night. How many? All right. Get the team together for a briefing.”

“By the sound of your voice, things didn’t go so well for the livestock.”

“First reports indicate over twenty animals slaughtered. I owe you an apology, Ciara.”

“You don’t. Putting myself in your shoes, I’d question my story. What are we going to do about Jiarrass?”

“The General is going to remain skeptical but the ground is opening up north. Dozzozdu is rising and the military will have their hands full if what Ayzaisdur says is true.”

“There’s no reason to doubt what the dragons had to say.”

“That’s what I’m afraid of. Do you know why Ayzaisdur keeps mentioning tidbits about your role, Ciara?”

“I’m not clear about it. Maybe the dragons elude to something they know will happen but are afraid to speak the truth.”

“What are you saying?”

“What if my role is to die?” My voice was a mere whisper.

“Ayzaisdur said you must stay alive for the world to have a chance.”

“That just indicates I need to be alive at a certain point. This whole thing with Dozzozdu frightens me. You see how strong the dragons are. How can anything be bigger and stronger than them?”

“You can’t think like that. Everyone seems to look up to you like a leader. As a leader you must make hard decisions sometimes, but your attitude sets the tone for those that follow.”

“I never asked to be a leader. I never asked for any of this.”

“So, you want to just hole up in your house until this all goes away?”

“I didn’t say that.”

“You’ve got passion, Ciara. You’re also courageous. You get both of those traits from your parents.”

A felt a tear fall down my cheek. “I wish they were here right now.”

***

We pulled up to the station and headed inside. It was rather chaotic. Farmers were screaming at the police to do something about their mutilated farm animals. I watched Ray carefully as he quickly took command.

“Lieutenant, send out messages to the citizens. We’re having another town meeting in two hours. Sargent, get the General on the phone and get these people out of here. Gently and with compassion. No force. They’re looking to us for help.”

The Sargent turned to the five of us and started to escort us out when Ray halted him. “Not them, Sargent.”

The Sargent looked at the Chief like he was crazy but turned into the crowds of people. He returned a few minutes later. “The General is on line four, Chief.”

“I want you to stay in here with us to listen to this.” Ray moved to his desk and hit the button for his speakerphone. “General, this is Ray over in Rathdrum.”

“We’re busy here, Ray. What’s happening over there?”

“I just spent the night with five of our citizens and four dragons. This is going to be hard for you to believe, but the dragons aren’t killing the livestock. We had over twenty animals slaughtered last night and I was with the dragons all night.”

“We’ve got serious issues and you’re giving me folk tales. A large crevasse has opened in the north and we can’t get close to examine it. Fire, wind, then ice and rocks keep spewing from the damn thing. I’ve got dragons running around loose and reports of livestock and a few people being killed all over the place.”

“You need to release the blue dragon, General, before it’s too late.”

“Ray, we’ve been friends for a long time but you’ve obviously been drinking too many pints.”

“I’m sending you video footage from last night that I caught on my cell phone. General, the dragons are the last of your worries right now. What’s coming up out of that crevasse will decimate everything in its path.”

“I’ll review the video, but no promises.”

“General, I’ll be at your base in four hours.”

“Don’t waste my time, Ray.”

“Believe me, General, you won’t be disappointed.”

The line went dead and Ray turned to the five of us. “Go home and rest up a bit. We’ve got a busy day ahead of us. Be ready to go in three hours.”

“We’re all going to see the General?”

Liam was smiling. “Can I see their missiles?”

Sean fidgeted. “I need to stop by the market and get some peanut butter and meat.”

***

Back at home, everyone found a place to lie back and relax. Aiden was overly attentive to me and still concerned about my wound. I had to gently push him out of my room so I could shower and change. It was a reluctant push as I’m still rather confused by the whole thing. Nora, Liam, and Sean haven’t mentioned anything about my being turned into a girl in a long while. They don’t question my clothes, and Nora seems to be pushing me into something with Aiden.

Staring at myself in the mirror, I’m pleased with what I see. Not the black orchan ichor in my hair or on my clothes, but the person staring back at me. My mind is less and less fighting the transformation and my body and heart have long since moved on. I just wish my brain and my heart could meld somehow because the dichotomy is taxing.

Stripping out of my clothes, I stepped into the shower and relaxed under the hot spray. I tried hard to ignore my body’s yearnings, but I finally yielded to a rather insistent need to fully explore. My mind was telling me I needed to know how this body works, and my heart was saying, let me show you.

Needless to say, my shower was extended and I found myself panting on the shower floor with a blissful grin on my face. Never have I experienced anything like my first female orgasm and now that I’ve tasted of the forbidden fruit, there was no desire to ever go back.

I found myself humming a tune my mother used to sing as I fingered the clothing in my closet. What do I wear to meet a General? What makes sense if I might ride a dragon? What will turn Aiden’s head? Since I only really have dresses, I chose a short black dress with a pair of warm leggings. I spent some time working my hair, finding an ivory hair clip that held back my hair from my eyes, yet allowed my hair to splay out over my shoulders and down my back. I even found some makeup that the magic must have created during my transformation. Shrugging, I was amazed that I didn’t struggle with the idea of putting on some green eyeshadow, eyeliner, and lipstick. The net result was rather astonishing and stepping back into the living room everyone went silent as they turned to stare at me.

I almost headed back into my room thinking I had overdone something and looked like a prostitute when Nora came over and whispered into my ear.

“You look stunning, Ciara. Conservative, yet sexy. Just enough makeup to bring out your lips and eyes. You’re going to melt hearts.”

Turning to the rest of the team I looked them over carefully. Liam was back to his laptop. Sean was busy mixing peanut butter and raw meat in a bowl. Nora had changed into jeans and a sweater; her eyes pulling mine towards Aiden. Aiden was floating a ball above his hand and staring at me. His emotions were complex; intense. His eyes were full of passion and energy, yet there was something deeper. He wasn’t staring at me with lust, but rather something I recalled my father looked at my mother with. It was… I needed to regroup.

“I thought we were supposed to be resting up.”

Liam smiled and looked up. “I get to see Jiarrass, or, at least I hope I do. I’ve been researching dragons and I can’t figure out if they’re male or female. If they lay eggs that are fertilized, they are more than hens, but I don’t see a rooster dragon around.”

Sean held up a gooey ball. “Just ask them.”

Nora sat down on the couch and pulled her hair in front of her eyes, looked at me, then frowned before getting up and asking if she could rummage through my closet.

Aiden tapped a seat next to him and I dutifully sat down.

“What happens if the General won’t release Jiarrass, Aiden?”

“Then we make a plan to set Jiarrass free. With the other dragons we could level the place.”

Shaking my head, I didn’t want to disagree with Aiden. “We can’t do anything rash and I never want to see someone hurt by my actions. If I blast away a wall, who is to say someone might not be on the other side. The people are innocent and all the power in the world will never take away the guilt of taking a life, even for a just cause. I’m willing to submit myself to the military peacefully.”

Sean had cleaned up his hands and leaned forward. “I’ve never felt anything like it when I touched Chimeras or when I blasted the creatures with wind. It’s humbling. Ciara is right. We need allies, not enemies and blasting our way in to get Jiarrass will only cause the military and the people to be against us. If we don’t get nuked from the face of the earth, we’ll be ostracized the rest of our lives.”

Liam was staring at Sean. “That’s like the most intelligent thing you’ve ever said.”

Aiden put his hand on mine and it didn’t bother me. It was comforting. “You’re right, Ciara. We must make our case. If we go in all bold and angry, we’re likely to look like a threat.”

A muffled word came from my bedroom. “Ciara?”

Moving into the bedroom, I closed the door behind me. Nora had laid out a similar outfit to mine on the bed. Her dark makeup had been washed away. “I was wondering if you could help me with my hair, Ciara?”

“What do you need?”

***

I had been half dozing when Nora stepped back into the living room. Her blue hair was gone, replaced by a luscious mahogany brown. Her dark eyeshadow and lipstick had been replaced with something subtler, bringing out the golden color of her eyes and the red of her lips. Her hair was unbound and she wore a short red dress with black leggings. Nora looked a little frightened.

“You look wonderful, Nora.”

Liam and Sean expressed their thoughts simultaneously. “Wow.”

Glancing at Aiden, I felt a moment of instantaneous jealousy but that evaporated as soon as I saw his eyes. They were still staring at me as they were before. It’s odd that I’ve gravitated towards Aiden’s confidence, good looks, and his attentiveness towards me. It makes me feel wanted and desired. Nora’s new reveal gave me concern that perhaps Aiden would look elsewhere. Nora has been a girl her whole life and carries none of the baggage that might keep Aiden away.

“I needed a change. Thanks for your help, Ciara.”

Aiden looked over at Nora. “Why the sudden change?”

“I’ve been thinking about it for a while and we need to make a good impression on the General. I looked a little like a miscreant before.”

Liam was still a little dazzled, but it was Sean that seemed to go out of his way for Nora, offering her his seat. He had never done that before.

A knock on the door sounded and I opened it to find Ray there. He had two police vehicles waiting to take us to see the General. “Is everyone ready to go?”

“All ready.”

“Miss O’Conner, I’d like you to ride with me.”

“Can we turn on the lights and siren? Do you guys have WIFI in the cars?”

Ray looked at Liam. “Liam can ride in the other car; preferably in the back where he can’t touch anything.”

Liam pouted.

Once loaded into the cars, we started on our one-hour drive to the military base.

“What’s the plan?”

Ray glanced at me. “I want you to let me do the talking. The General needs to marinate slowly before making a significant decision.”

“You don’t think I can ‘marinate’ him?”

“All due respect, Miss O’Conner, but you didn’t do a good job of helping me overcome my bias by burning through your cuffs.”

“What if I promise to not set anything on fire?”

“Let me handle the General.”

“We’re not going to find ourselves locked in some dark, gray military prison being waterboarded for information, are we?”

“There’s a remote chance that might happen.”

“That doesn’t sound too promising.”

***

When we arrived at the base, security guards reviewed all our IDs and let us pass. The base was bustling with activity and jets and helicopters were coming and going on a routine basis. The General came out to greet us. He extended his hand to Ray and looked us all over carefully.

“I saw the video, Chief. It’s intriguing but I can’t release the dragon.”

“But you must…!”

Ray shushed me. “What evidence do you need to assure you it’s the right thing to do?”

“It’s not about evidence. It’s about panic. If we release the dragon the media will have a field day and the public will blame us.”

I stepped in front of Ray and looked back at him apologetically. “I’m sorry, but enough with the marinating. You think you have a PR problem now, General? Just wait until the population of Ireland is decimated by Dozzozdu and our crops and livestock ruined by black orchans and wolpertingers.”

The General glared at me. “And you are?”

Ray stepped up again. “This is Ciara O’Conner. She can communicate with the dragons.”

“Really? Good, because I have some questions of the dragon we have. Follow me.”

With a flick of his finger armed guards surrounded us and shuffled us into a large hanger. An electric fence and netting had been erected around Jiarrass. It was heavily chained. My heart tore in my chest and I started running towards the gate. The sound of rifles latching was enough to stop me in my tracks.

“Another step, Miss O’Conner, and I will order the men to shoot you.”

I was furious and flames licked my fingers, but I quenched them and turned to face the General. “You want to talk to Jiarrass? Then come with me inside its pen.”

“Do it, General.”

The General stared at Ray before turning back to me. “You enter first. If you’re not incinerated then I might condescend to joining you.”

“Gladly.”

“Unlock the gate and let Miss O’Conner through.”

The guards looked at the General in disbelief. “Sir?”

“That’s an order.”

The rifles were lowered and an alarm sounded. The gate unlocked and opened. I stepped inside and moved quickly to Jiarrass. I placed my hand on the dragon’s cheek. “I’m so sorry, Jiarrass. How have they treated you?”

“You risk your life for me, Ciara, Kin of Dragons. I am well, however I do not like this place or the net and I am hungry.”

“We need to find you some orchans.”

“Since you weren’t barbequed I thought I would join you. You’re a very brave young woman, Miss O’Conner.”

“Hold my hand, General.” I felt his strong hand envelope mine. “Jiarrass, this if the man in charge here. General, this is Jiarrass.”

“Why have you imprisoned me, General?”

The General’s eyes were wide. He turned to look at Ray. “You did this, Chief?”

Ray nodded.

The General turned back to face the dragon. “You and your kind are a threat to the people.”

“Dragons are not a threat to people, but Dozzozdu and his minions are. Without my power, combined with the other dragons and the five kindred spirits, Dozzozdu will destroy the world.”

“What is this Dozzozdu?”

“It is what is emerging from the ground in the north. A magical beast with all the magical disciplines at its disposal. Your people will not stand against him.”

“We captured you. We can capture Dozzozdu as well.”

“Then you or many others will die trying. You do not understand the threat.”

“How can I know for certain you’re speaking the truth?”

“You can wait and see for yourself, but I would not recommend that.”

“Why is that?”

“Because you will not live to confirm you were wrong about dragons.”

“You mentioned five kindred spirits. What are those?”

“Ciara is one. She is a descendant of Maeve the dragon slayer and carries within her blood the blood of the red dragon Ayzaisdur. Her friends are the others. Since we have recently emerged, our magical strength is not sufficient to bind Dozzozdu. When combined with our kindred spirits, we might be able to prevail.”

“You’re saying you need these five kids to save the world? We have nuclear weapons, missiles, and bombs.”

“None of which will work against Dozzozdu. He must be bound in five spheres of magic.”

The General shook his head. He wasn’t believing Jiarrass. “Magic. Bah!” The General pulled his hand from mine.

Ray looked worried. “General. You know me. You saw my video. While I don’t confess to understand everything, I have no reason to doubt they are telling the truth.”

“Sargent!”

“Yes, sir!”

“Escort these five to their new accommodations. I’ll not have them running around the countryside cavorting with dragons and impeding the military.”

“Yes, sir!”

“Chief, I’ve known you a long time and you’re free to go, but if you interfere, I’ll throw you into the stockade.”

I had followed the General out of Jiarrass’ holding area numb to what I was hearing. How can he do this? My anger flared and flames licked my fingers until Aiden placed a hand tenderly on my arm.

He whispered to me, “Not here. Not now.”

Guards surrounded us as the General walked away. I yelled after him. “You stupid ignoramus! We have rights! We haven’t done anything wrong and neither have the dragons! You’re dooming us all!” The General ignored me as strong hands grabbed both my arms. “Don’t touch me!” Once again my anger flared but my mother’s voice sounded in my head. ‘Promise me that no matter the circumstances, you’ll not act out of anger.’ Tears began to fall as my anger ebbed and looked back at Jiarrass as we were led away. “I’m sorry, Jiarrass.”

***

Our accommodations were a highly secured underground bunker. It was little better than a prison cell but more spacious and it had some furniture.

Liam looked pensive. “I can’t believe you call the General an ignoramus.”

Sean piped up. “A stupid ignoramus.”

I sat down on the uncomfortable couch and started crying. Nora sat down next to me. Her arm draped over my shoulder. “You’ve done everything you could do. It’s a far-fetched story to believe.”

“I could have blasted us out of there. I should have convinced the General. I could have…”

The couch moved slightly as Aiden sat down on the other side of me. His warm hands cupped my face and before I could say another word, he kissed me. I stared silently into Aiden’s eyes, my lips on fire. I’m not sure if I was embarrassed or excited.

Nora giggled and stood. “It’s about time.”

I glanced at Sean and Liam who just shrugged and began discussing dragon lore as if nothing had happened. No one cares I was Neale before. They don’t see this as strange. Is the magic affecting them that much? Why am I still holding back when my heart is pushing me forward? My thoughts caused me to look down.

“Ciara. You’ve done everything anyone could have ever done.” Aiden’s fingers lifted my chin so my eyes looked into his. “The world has changed forever and many people will struggle with the new reality. We are front and center as witnesses to events of historical proportion.”

“You kissed me.” My voice was barely above a whisper. “You don’t care I was Neale before?”

“Who is Neale?” His lips found mine again before I could respond. My heart fluttered but my mind struggled. Don’t they remember me?

It was then I heard Ayzaisdur in my head. ‘The magic has run its course, Ciara. Even your closest friends don’t remember Neale any longer.’

‘And what of me? Will I be the only one that remembers? Will I always hold back because of what I used to be?’

‘You will always be you, Ciara.’

‘But what of my life before?’

‘In many ways you and I are much alike. I had a life before and yet I am new. I have memories of who I was and yet they don’t dictate what I choose to do now. I could have sought revenge for my death, but as you were different from Maeve and could choose a different path, so can I. You will always be Ciara. Follow your heart and make yourself happy while you can.’

‘What do you mean, while I can?’

‘Dozzozdu rises.’

Ayzaisdur was gone and I hadn’t realized I had entwined my fingers with Aiden’s and rested my head on his shoulder. In a bold move, pushing my concerns away, I brought my lips to his and kissed him.

The ground began to lightly shake and it wasn’t because of the kiss.

Liam shouted. “Earthquake!” Even as he dove under a table the shaking subsided.

I stood. “Dozzozdu is rising. We need to get out of here, rescue Jiarrass, and get to the other dragons.”

Moving to the door I banged on it. “Guard. We need to speak with the General.”

“We have orders to not disturb him.”

“Let us out.”

“We have orders to not let you out.”

Waving to Aiden, he approached the door. “Do your unlock thing.”

Aiden smiled and moments later the door opened.

“Hey!” The two guards raised their rifles.

Putting my hands up, I kept my voice calm. “I told you we need to leave. Please, put your weapons down.”

“Get back in the room!”

I let my hands burst into flames. “You really need to let us go.”

Aiden stepped up and with a flick of his finger, the rifles were sent flying. The two guards ran.

“Let’s go. Stay close. Aiden, can you shield us as we move?”

“I think so.”

“I’ll call the other dragons to meet us by the hanger. This is going to be a fight and I don’t want anyone hurt.”

As we hurried through the halls I spoke with Ayzaisdur. ‘Ayzaisdur. Can you and the other dragons meet us at the military base? We’re escaping. Please don’t hurt anyone.’

‘We will be there when you need us. This will make you a threat to the people.’

‘They already see us as a threat.’

Turning a corner, we came face-to-face with two dozen armed men.

“You will peacefully return to your room or we are authorized to open fire.”

Alarms began to sound. “Sir! Three dragons are flying overhead and another one is blocking the airstrip.”

“They won’t attack unless you attack them. We can convince the dragons to leave peacefully.”

The main military man looked confused. “You’re controlling them?”

I lied. “Yes.”

“What do you want?”

“We need to leave. You felt the earthquake?”

“That was you?”

“That was Dozzozdu rising up in the north that caused the quake. Your weapons can’t hurt us. We are shielded and we have no desire to hurt anyone, yet if we’re not allowed to leave, many more people will be hurt. Not by us, but by Dozzozdu.”

Another guard ran up to the man confronting us. “Sir. I’ve just been told that something large is emerging from the ground in the north. A wave of energy was emitted that destroyed our front line. The General has ordered a retreat.”

“We can help. The dragons are here to fight Dozzozdu but they need the five of us to go into battle.”

I took a step forward and the man tensed. “Stay where you are! Get the General on the line.”

A long minute passed before a radio was handed to the man in front of us. “General, the five kids escaped. We have them surrounded. We also have four dragons circling the base and one is blocking the runway.”

“Tell the General we will leave peacefully and take the dragons with us. No one needs to be hurt.”

“There’s no need. The General told us to let you go as long as you take the dragons with you.”

“Why the change of heart?”

“Forty men and four tanks were just destroyed in the blink of an eye. If you want to go kill yourselves with these dragons, then God be with you.”

“We appreciate the vote of confidence. I will tell the dragons to back off as long as you promise to not fire at them. I’ll have them land by the hanger where the blue dragon is being held. We’ll take that dragon with us.”

“I’m skeptical but do it.”

‘Ayzaisdur. Pull back please. Land by the large hanger. We will join you momentarily.”

“Let’s go.”

We were escorted under heavy guard to the hanger. Ayzaisdur and the other dragons were just landing. Guards were everywhere and looking very anxious.

“Please tell your men to back up. We don’t want anyone hurt. Liam, come with me to get Jiarrass. The rest of you go to the dragons.”

Liam and I approached Jiarrass. I went in first and brushed my hand against the dragon’s cheek. “We’re getting you out of here.”

“Thank you, Ciara.”

“Jiarrass, this is Liam.”

Liam moved tentatively towards Jiarrass and extended his hand. Jiarrass sniffed him as I removed the chains. I watched Liam grin as he stroked the massive snout. “Pleased to meet you, Jiarrass.”

With the chains removed we led Jiarrass out to where the other dragons were waiting. Ayzaisdur’s low voice rumbled. “We need to attack Dozzozdu as soon as we can but Jiarrass needs food and we need to learn to work together. We should meet at the mountain lake.”

“We’ll arrange for cars to get us there.”

“There’s no need for cars. We can fly you, Ciara, but you need to get your sword.”

I turned to Aiden who was right there behind me. “You take the others to the lake and I’ll go home to get my sword. We’ll meet you soon.”

Aiden leaned over and kissed me. “Will do, sweetheart.”

I smiled as I turned away. Ayzaisdur lowered his massive neck and I climbed on, wrapping my legs around and grabbing protrusions from Ayzaisdur’s head to hang on. “I’m ready, I think.”

The power of Ayzaisdur’s wings was incredible. With one thrust downward we leapt into the air at a frightening speed. I clung on out of sheer terror but it was only a few minutes later that I began to relax and enjoy the freedom of flight.

What had taken an hour by car to get to the base took no more than ten minutes to get home. Our arrival sent people scattering in all directions and by the time I had retrieved my sword Ray had arrived.

“What’s happening, Ciara? I’m sorry for how things transpired at the base.”

“After the earthquake, we sort of escaped.”

“You didn’t…?”

“No. No one was hurt. The General let us all go.”

“What are you doing now?”

“We’re regrouping back at the mountain lake. I guess we will prepare ourselves to attack Dozzozdu.”

“The General called me. They’re not faring well. He said they have retreated two miles south of the crevasse. They’re considering nukes.”

“If they use them, we irradiate the entire northern half of Ireland. Let’s hope with the dragons help we can resolve this. Thank you for your support, Ray.”

“People are frightened and don’t know what to think. To know that they’re unaware of what you might be risking your lives for… God be with you, Ciara.”

Climbing onto Ayzaisdur’s neck, we flew north to the lake.

“Ayzaisdur, I feel a little lost.”

“You’re speaking about your part in all of this?”

“No. Yes. I still don’t know what my role is, but more than that, how is it that no one remembers who I was but me? Have they all truly forgotten?”

“Magic works in multiple ways. Creating a fireball is one a form of burst magic, but your transformation is a form of restoration magic. Think of restoration magic being like a newly planted seed. There is an initial burst of energy causing the seed to sprout, then slowly, it works at building roots, stem, and leaves. Finally, in a glorious final burst, it blooms.”

“That’s a fine analogy, Ayzaisdur, but I’m still confused.”

“The initial burst of magic transformed you and reestablished magic on the earth. Slowly, it began to grow, replacing the memories of those easiest to replace. In a final burst, those closest to you were changed to have never known you as anything but Ciara.”

“But why didn’t it change me and my memories?”

“Your memories are what make you who you are.”

“So, they don’t remember I was ever Neale. Not even Aiden?”

“They no longer have those memories.”

“What does that mean for me?”

“It means you can be Ciara O’Conner.”

“I don’t understand.”

“The magic also has worked on you, Ciara. You no longer fight against the transformation. Your only struggle is with your own sense of self. Who you are is your choice.”

“I’m not sure I know who I am.”

***

Upon arrival, Aiden rushed over and swept me up into his arms. This sudden onslaught of emotions keeps catching me off guard. I expected someone to start laughing or call me gay. My heart and body were now in full accord with each other and there was now a freedom knowing that I could choose my own path without the hang-ups of worrying what other people think.

After a brief reunion, Ayzaisdur gathered us all together.

“Ciara, we need to be prepared against all eventualities. Dozzozdu will not hold back and even at full strength we must each be able to stand alone if separated from each other. I want you to use your sword and cut a small scale from Jiarass, Inugami, and Chimeras.”

“Why would you want me to do that?”

“You and Aiden have power by blood but the others do not. They receive their power only by touch. With a scale against their skin, each kindred spirit can retain their power. If they are separated from their dragon, they can at least protect themselves.”

Jiarass moved forward. “The scales are the smallest at the end and underside of my tail.”

I was skeptical. “I don’t want to hurt you. You sure this will work?”

“We waste time, Ciara. It must be done.”

I recalled Ray’s words to me about leadership and I wondered if all leaders had to make such tough decisions.

“All right. I’m sorry Jiarass.”

Hesitantly I brought the very tip of the sword against the base of a scale and pushed ever so slightly. The scale sheared off and landed on the ground. Liam, who stood anxious nearby, stroked Jiarass’ head before picking up the scale. With it in his hand he stepped away from everyone and lifted water from the lake like a mini tornado.

“It works! Ciara, can you make a small hole in the scale so I can make a necklace out of it?”

I repeated the process with Inugami and Chimeras and soon everyone had access to their powers while apart from their associated dragon.

“Ayzaisdur, how do we imprison Dozzozdu?”

“Timing is everything. Dozzozdu cycles between magic types. Fire, earth, water, air, and golden magic. He is only susceptible to attacks with the associated magic he is using in the cycle. Last time, I attacked with fire while building a magical sphere around him. Next was Inugami’s turn. The problem comes when his cycle changes. To hold the sphere of fire, I must maintain against his earth attacks against me. Dozzozdu is no fool and knows he only needs to defeat one dragon to remain free.”

I stared into Ayzaisdur’s eyes. “You did it before. You withstood his attacks long enough for all five spheres to be created.”

“Even at full strength, I was almost destroyed.”

“But Dozzozdu is also weaker now, isn’t he?”

Ayzaisdur shook its head. “Dozzozdu was dormant, not dead like us. He is as strong as the day he went dormant. This is why you are all needed. Even so, there is a high likelihood we might fail.”

Liam was still playing with the water when he looked up. “But you have all of us. We have all of this power.”

“A sacrifice must be made. I will say no more about this. First, we must practice and Jiarass is hungry. Let’s go feed together before we tackle Dozzozdu.”

We all climbed on our associated dragons. I’m not sure I’ll ever get over the feeling of leaping into the air at dizzying speeds. For a moment we all forgot about Dozzozdu and we shouted back to one another as we circled the mountaintops.

Ayzaisdur spotted black orchans below and we dove. Nora seemed completely in her element as she whooped for joy and used her magic to hold the orchans legs to the ground.

“Hang on tight, Ciara.”

I grabbed Ayzaisdur’s neck even tighter as we spun in the air and razed the orchans with a wave of fire.

Jiarass and Liam swooped down and grabbed one orchan in each heavily clawed foot. I watched as Jiarass rolled and tossed one of the orchans into its mouth before rolling back over. Liam shouted for joy.

When all the dragon had their fill, we flew back towards the lake. A heavy uneasiness swept over me. “You mentioned a sacrifice, Ayzaisdur. Is that my role?”

“I see glimpses of what might be.”

“I just came to terms with who I am. I don’t want to die. What happens if we fail?”

“Dozzozdu will destroy any life that opposes him. His magical creatures will feast indiscriminately on anything else that survives. It will not be pleasant, but then again neither you nor I will be here if it comes to that.”

Back at the lake everyone jumped off and we all rushed towards each other. Aiden lifted me off the ground and kissed me.

“It’s only fitting, you know?”

“What’s fitting?”

“That we have a chance to take over where Meave and Breandan failed.”

“You mean in not killing the dragons?”

Nora, who was nearby laughed. “You’re so naïve, Ciara.”

“Us, Ciara. I’m talking about you and me. I know this is all sudden and I never even spoke to you before, but I’ve had a crush on you ever since I could remember.”

His paradigm is so much different than my own. I looked over at Nora who had wandered off with Sean. Liam was talking to Jiarass asking questions about dragon mating rituals. I looked back at Aiden. “I guess you should have asked me out ages ago then.”

“When this is all done and things are back to normal, I want to take you on a real date.”

“What? No hotdogs?”

“You deserve better than that.”

“Ahem… Ciara, we must all mount and go. Dozzozdu awaits.”

Leaning in, I kissed Aiden. “You’re going to need to define normal as otherwise I might have to wait a long time for that date.”

We climbed onto our dragons and flew northeast. We could see the devastation long before we found the General and his remaining troops. The earth had been cracked and scorched for miles and smoke filled the air. We circled a few times before landing. The General came out to greet us.

“Miss O’Conner. I can’t authorize you to go in there. Everything we’ve thrown at that thing bounces off harmlessly. We’re retreating even further and speaking about using nukes. It’s our only hope.”

“The dragons dealt with Dozzozdu before and we have to try.”

The General tossed up his hands. “I don’t want your blood on my hands.”

“We’re going to do this, General. I recommend you pull your forces back.”

“Then my conscious is clear. I tried to warn you.”

I climbed onto Ayzaisdur’s neck and watched the General drop away from sight. We all turned north. There were no whoops or yells or conversation. It would have stopped anyways once we saw what we faced. Before us, still emerging from the ground, a creature that dwarfed the size of our dragons. It had five heads on five sinuous necks. Its body was heavily scaled and it had four visible massive legs with claws longer than a man. Before it streamed thousands of black orchans and wolpertingers.

Every minute it appeared another head would take control and corresponding colored fire would erupt from that mouth. We circled high above and waited. Once the fire breathing head took control, Ayzaisdur and I dove downward. We both inherently knew what to do and I cast my fire magic on Dozzozdu while Ayzaisdur cast the first sphere.

My attacks seemed to be doing nothing to Dozzozdu and it wasn’t paying any attention to us at all. With the sphere created I began attacking the minions, blasting them to into ash. We hovered over the ground, keeping our distance from the Dozzozdu’s heads. If Ayzaisdur’s history was true, then once the head shifted control, we would be targeted for attack. It was the longest minute of my life.

Suddenly the second head blew forth its brown fire as Inugami and Nora spun in for their attack. Again, Dozzozdu ignored the attack and the second sphere, but it wasn’t until the third head took control that all hell broke loose. Inugami and Nora were unleashed upon by Dozzozdu. I saw Inugami crash hard to the ground sending Nora rolling across the charred ground.

“Hold your sphere!”

I leapt from Ayzaisdur’s neck and raced across the ground to Nora. The orchans and wolpertingers were closing in on Inugami and Nora. I blasted the area with fire holding them back and drew my sword. The brown sphere faltered with Dozzozdu’s next attack.

A golden shield formed around us as I pulled my sword from its sheath and burned and slashed my way to Nora’s side. She was wounded as was Inugami, but both were getting to their feet. Jiarass swooped down and grabbed Nora and me with its claws as Ayzaisdur swept in and picked up Inugami. The red sphere faltered and our shield fizzled and shattered under Dozzozdu’s next attack. Ayzaisdur called for a retreat and we flew back and away from Dozzozdu and back to where the military had staged themselves.

Jiarass gently placed Nora and me on the ground and I ran over to her. Aiden was there at my side and reached out his hand to provide healing magic. Myrmidon bathed Inugami in its fire. Nora moaned, but stood shakily to her feet. I hugged her tight before taking a step back.

Inugami was breathing heavily but appeared to be all right. It had only taken minutes and we had been devastated.

“So that’s it then. We’re doomed?”

Ayzaisdur brushed up against me. “Dozzozdu has clearly learned from its mistake last time. I was just strong enough to withstand its attacks, but Inugami is much smaller. The dragons need to be protected long enough to form the spheres. I am afraid we are simply not strong enough.”

I hung my head in despair. Sean was holding Nora protectively.

Liam was upset. “Five minutes. We only have to hold that thing for five minutes. Certainly, there must be some way.”

The General is going to nuke it and nothing will happen. There must be a way. “A sacrifice… That’s what Ayzaisdur’s been talking about. Dozzozdu doesn’t know about me, how strong I am.”

Ayzaisdur growled. “You are not strong enough!”

“Maeve killed all the dragons herself when you were still strong. If I could just…”

“Enough, Ciara! You are not strong enough!”

Inugami raised its head slowly. “But she might be strong enough to take our blood.”

I looked over at Inugami. “What are you talking about?”

Ayzaisdur growled even more. “She might not be able to withstand what you are considering.”

Liam was the one that spoke next. “You mean if Ciara can mix her blood with all of the dragons, she would be strong enough?”

“If she could withstand receiving the blood then conceivably she could withstand any of Dozzozdu’s magical attacks. That doesn’t prevent her from receiving physical harm. It is a risk that is too great.”

Aiden stepped forward. “I’ll do it. I’ll receive the dragon blood.”

Myrmidon spoke up. “None of us are sure how or why Maeve could withstand Ayzaisdur’s blood the first time. It shouldn’t be possible. Perhaps it had something to do with the dragon-forged sword, but for any of you other than Ciara, the risk is too great.”

Ayzaisdur was becoming protective of me. “It’s too great a risk for Ciara.”

“Wait! Don’t I get a say in this? You’re all saying that if I could absorb dragon’s blood I could be invulnerable to Dozzozdu. Possibly enough so that I could become his target while the spheres are created. What other options do we have? Anyone?”

“For once I agree with Ayzaisdur. It’s too risky, Ciara.”

“Aiden, you want a life with me, correct?”

“Of course!”

“What kind of a life will either of us have if we’re both dead?” Turning to Ayzaisdur I held out my arm and pulled out my sword. “Do I simply cut myself?”

Nora broke away from Sean and came over to hug me. “Please, don’t do this.”

Tears dripped down my cheeks as I looked from Nora to each of my friends. “You’re more than friends. You’re all my family. Maeve was wrong to kill the dragons and it is because of her actions that we are here today with Dozzozdu on the loose. I love you all and I’m willing to risk myself for each and any one of you.”

“There’s no need for that!” Turning, we all faced the General. “We’re pulling back and calling in a nuclear strike. We have an hour to evacuate. It was a valiant try, but it wasn’t good enough.”

“We have another option to try. Give us a chance!”

“The decision is made, Miss O’Conner. I presume you can use your rides to get out of the area.”

The General turned and headed back to organize his withdrawal.

I turned to Ayzaisdur. “Let’s do this.”

“You’ll need help. This won’t be easy.”

Aiden grabbed my sword from my hand. “I’ll do it. Just tell me what to do.”

Ayzaisdur had me lie on the ground while Aiden carefully cut into my forearm. It hurt like hell. Next Jiarrass volunteered to go first. The dragon held up its foot over me while Aiden pushed the sword up and into its foot. With a roar of pain, Jiarrass’ blood began to drip. As the first drops hit my arm, I screamed in pain. The dragon’s blood sizzled down my arm like burning acid. The pain was excruciating.

“It’s killing her!”

I screamed again but then the pain began to subside. “I’m… I’m all right. Hold me still.”

Inugami was next and as before its blood burned as it touched me. I shook and screamed in pain. Nora, Liam, and Sean were in tears holding me down. As the pain subsided, I could feel my strength return just in time for the next and the next. With the last dragon giving me its blood, my wounded forearm healed leaving the telltale dragon scar.

Aiden fell to his knees and hugged me while I lie on my back. “That was the hardest thing I ever had to do. Forgive me.”

Slowly I stood to my feet. I could feel the magic of all the dragons coursing through my veins. With a shaking hand I pulled Aiden to me and kissed him.

“Let’s do this.”

Ayzaisdur shook its head. “We must be sure.”

“There’s no time for testing. I feel it in me.” I stroked Ayzaisdur’s cheek, grabbed my sword from Aiden and jumped up onto Ayzaisdur’s neck. “I’ll do my best to keep Dozzozdu occupied.”

Ayzaisdur growled low. “I thought you told me you weren’t like Maeve.”

“I’m not.”

“I agree. You are much more courageous and kind.”

We flew up and from our vantage point it was clear Dozzozdu had nearly fully emerged from the earth.

“Fly me close over its head.”

Ayzaisdur swept downward, narrowly missing the giant fangs of one of Dozzozdu’s heads. I leapt off Ayzaisdur with my sword held high. It dug in through the scales of Dozzozdu cutting deep along one of the necks. Dozzozdu reacted violently and twisted so that my sword and I were flung from its back. I landed hard on the ground, my sword clattering across the rocks no more than twenty feet from me.

Dozzozdu rose up before me and lashed out with one of its four clawed feet while the controlling head twisted and blew blue fire upon me. Reaching out with my hand, I used the golden dragon magic to cause my sword to fly into my hand. I ducked and rolled, ignoring the flames and sending freezing magic into the blade as I swung upward. The cold magic with the dragon fire forged blade sliced through Dozzozdu’s claw like it was butter.

If I didn’t have it before, I had Dozzozdu’s full attention now as it began thrashing wildly. I realized I needed to get away from the beast to keep out of its reach. Turning, I ran away from Dozzozdu just as the first red sphere flickered into life around us. In the back of my mind I wondered if I might also be trapped inside the spheres for all eternity.

As I ran, I was vaguely aware that Dozzozdu had shifted some behind me and his minions were now converging on my location. I used my fire magic to blast the creatures nearest me, but this took a concerted effort on my part. In the meantime, Dozzozdu’s brown head had swung in behind me just as it transitioned into being in control. With a blast of brown fire, the earth opened before me and where my foot was once on rock before, I found myself now freefalling towards my impending doom.

‘Use your silver magic to lift yourself out of the fall.’

With realization of what Ayzaisdur had suggested, I imagined the wind surrounding me and lifting me but it was too little too late. Although I had greatly slowed, I still crashed hard into the crevasse wall and felt my ribs breaking by the blow. My lungs screamed for air and in my pain I forgot all about the ability to heal myself.

The pain of my fall was so great I just lay there ignorant of my imminent death.

‘Get up, Ciara!’

I gasped and struggled to my feet just as the ground thrust upward sending me flying through the air straight towards Dozzozdu’s gaping jaws.

I could hear Nora’s scream. “Not this time, Dozzozdu!” Nora and Inugami swooped in from one side and slammed into Dozzozdu’s brown head knocking it away from snapping me out of the air.

Aiden and Myrmidon dove in behind them to grab me and place me back on the solid ground. I could feel Aiden’s healing magic ease my pain.

Aiden looked worried as he shouted to me. “Should we retreat?”

“No. We won’t have another chance. Focus on the spheres.” I looked into Aiden’s worried and weary face believing it would be the last time I ever saw him. “We have to finish this.”

“I don’t want to lose you!”

“We’re all lost if we don’t succeed.”

I could see moisture in his eyes as Myrmidon beat its great wings and flew back into the sky. The silver sphere flickered to life around us.

I turned to face Dozzozdu, which had momentarily forgotten about me. Inugami and Nora were fighting Dozzozdu and holding their own briefly until I saw the magic shift to the red head. For some reason, I had believed incorrectly that Dozzozdu repeated a cycle, but clearly this was not the case. Nora and Inugami were in grave danger and the remaining pain in my ribs made me realize I had to give it everything I had. No holding back.

The red head of Dozzozdu was positioning itself for a blast of fire at Inugami and Nora. Holding my sword tightly in my hands, I leapt upwards and used the silver magic to propel me towards the back of the red head. I gave a burst of red fire and struck true slicing deep into the neck of Dozzozdu before landing and rolling on the ground near its claws. Black ichor gushed from Dozzozdu’s neck, but the cut was like a minor scratch on the enormous beast.

Inugami and Nora flew back and out of the way as Dozzozdu turned back towards me. While only fire magic could hurt it at the moment, it didn’t mean other magic couldn’t be useful in slowing it down. As I ran, I flung boulders towards the red head even as a blast of red fire washed harmlessly over me.

I dove and rolled to avoid being sliced to pieces by one of Dozzozdu’s claws, giving a blast of fire of my own at the foot of the best. Dozzozdu roared in pain and I scampered backwards and away from it just as the gold sphere appeared in the sky around us.

‘You need to be outside of the spheres when the last one is cast. Work your way to the edge of the first sphere.’

‘Easier said than done, but I’ll try.’

I raced away from Dozzozdu and came to a small rise. Between me and the edge of the first sphere were thousands of minions. Behind me, Dozzozdu was finally breaking free of the earth that had fully trapped him and his entire focus was on me. Running forward, I created a path by using red fire in front of me. Little did I know that Dozzozdu had shifted to be controlled by the gold head.

Just as I was closing in on the first sphere, I was yanked backwards by some unforeseen hand. As I flew through the air, the brown sphere appeared. Using my gold magic, I created an illusion of multiples of me flying backwards towards Dozzozdu.

‘Don’t wait for me, Ayzaisdur. Seal us both inside. Get the last sphere up.’

Ayzaisdur’s silence was unbearable as I slowed and hovered in midflight, mere feet from Dozzozdu’s snapping jaws. I threw everything I had at it; opening chasms of ground beneath the beast, casting fire, and strong winds. I watched as one by one my illusions were snapped in half by the golden head of Dozzozdu. I could feel its magic probing and assessing until the golden eyes fixed on me and not one of my illusions.

I tried using gold magic to push myself away, but my magic was too insignificant to counter Dozzozdu’s. I would never have thought I would die like this.

‘Do it, Ayzaisdur. Do it now!’

With a mighty roar and a flash of red scales, Ayzaisdur crashed into the golden head of Dozzozdu. Even though Ayzaisdur was so much smaller, Dozzozdu’s head slammed hard into the rocky ground with Ayzaisdur raking its claws across head and neck.

I fell twenty feet to the ground as the golden magic from Dozzozdu stopped. I felt my leg snap and I cried out in pain. I lay there stunned as Ayzaisdur released its claws and swept down towards me. I felt its claws grab me just as Dozzozdu deafening roar of anger shook the earth. With a massive swipe of its leg, Ayzaisdur and I were slammed together by the force.

I blacked out for a moment as we twisted and spun through the air. I could hear Ayzaisdur scream. ‘Now!’

I remember a flicker of blue and then nothing more.

***

I was so cold. It was hard to open my eyes.

“I can’t heal her!”

I tried to speak but only a moan came from my parched lips. Everything was blurred and out of focus except for Aiden’s face as he wept over me, my head cradled in his lap.

“Do something! She can’t die!”

I could feel something large near me. Unable to turn my head, I had nothing left. My eyes closed and I suddenly felt free. I looked around and saw the strangest of sights. Five spheres of light were slowly shrinking and descending into the earth. The ground had been laid waste.

As I hovered there, I looked down. A woman, barely recognizable as she was broken, twisted, and covered in blood. Her side was torn open and her bloodied and matted red hair and head was resting in the lap of a handsome young man. Three other people stood nearby. Lying next to the woman was a large red dragon. A huge gash had nearly severed its hind leg from its body. I could sense it was near death. Around them all were four more dragons.

I heard the young man scream. “No! Do something!”

Then, what seemed unbelievable, the red dragon rose its head from the ground and spoke. “She has only one chance. You must all stand back.”

“I won’t leave her!”

“You must!” It was an order, a low growl. “A sacrifice is in order.”

The young man gently placed the woman’s head on the ground and kissed her. I felt my lips tingle strangely. He then backed away as did all the people. I watched as the dragons surrounded the woman on the ground. One by one they blew fire on her until she was consumed by white fire.

My body burned. I wanted to leave as it burned, but instead I felt a tug. My lips still tingled and yet my body burned. Everything went dark and silent.

***

I woke with a start and to feel lips pressed against mine. I stared into Aiden’s eyes and felt rejuvenated and full of energy.

“What happened?”

Aiden slowly pulled me up into a sitting position. Glancing down, I saw I was oddly dressed in a white flowing gown. A gentle breeze sent wisps of long white hair in front of my eyes.

I felt a shudder next to me and my heart felt like it was being torn apart. Ignoring the strange white hair and gown I was in, I turned to see Ayzaisdur’s head close to mine.

“Ayzaisdur?” The red dragon was gravely wounded. “Ayzaisdur?” Its eyes closed and my heart burst within my chest. “Ayzaisdur… My poor Ayzaisdur.” Rolling over, I fell across the beast’s head and wept.

A gentle hand touched my shoulder. “Ciara, we must go. We have to stop the nukes and we have little time.”

I slowly stood and looked around. At this moment, the nukes seemed the last of my worries. Ayzaisdur lay dead next to me. Dozzozdu was no more. Four dragons and four friends were staring at me, waiting on me to make a decision. Somehow, I had become their leader. I looked down at myself still unsure what had all taken place and was oddly more than a little worried about my strange white hair.

From deep within me I felt some kindred understanding of Ayzaisdur and the dragons. Perhaps it was because I shared all of their blood now, but I knew what must be done. “We can’t leave Ayzaisdur here. We must take Ayzaisdur to a special place.”

Jets raced across the sky, split apart and turned back from where they had come from.

Liam looked concerned as he stepped forward. “That would be a scouting run. If they return then we’re likely safe. If they don’t, then we need to get out of here. Ciara, I’ve never seen anything like what just happened. I don’t understand how you’re alive. It is you, isn’t it?”

The jets returned a few seconds later. This time they flew directly over us and rolled before heading back.

“Yes, it’s me even though I’m not sure how. Who changed me? What happened to my hair?”

It was Myrmidon that spoke. “As Ayzaisdur carried you out of the spheres, Dozzozdu attacked. Ayzaisdur shielded you as much as possible, but both you and Ayzaisdur were critically wounded. You were dying and Ayzaisdur chose to use what little life left to heal you. The process of healing changed you and our combined fire and magic altered your clothing, skin, eyes, and hair. As when Maeve was altered by the blood and fire, so were you by our combined blood and fire.”

“Ayzaisdur sacrificed himself for me. Oh, Ayzaisdur.”

“No doubt you would have sacrificed yourself for any of us and already had.”

“I’m not so sure about that.” My heart ached at Ayzaisdur ‘s loss but as I looked from person to person, I reminded myself that we survived. More white hair drifted in front of my eyes. I glanced over at Aiden who seemed uncertain about things. “Do I not look like me anymore?”

We were all interrupted by the sound of helicopters which landed nearby. The General strode purposefully towards us while his men stayed back.

“Miss O’Conner?”

He was looking at me so I must not be too changed. I held out a handful of my hair towards him. “Yes, it’s me. It’s a bit of a story. I gather the nukes have been called off?”

“They have, thanks to all of you. You put yourselves on the line for the world. I want to personally thank you.”

I stretched out my hand to Ayzaisdur. “Not without tremendous loss, sir. Dozzozdu’s minions are still roaming wild and now that magic has returned to the world, we still need the dragons. Dozzozdu is taken care of, but we must never let this happen again.”

Aiden stepped forward and slipped an arm around my waist. “You have no idea how much Ciara sacrificed for us all. I realize you were doing what you thought best, but you treated us, and in particular, Ciara, very badly.”

“To which I owe you all an apology. Our world has changed and the people want to know what the meaning of all of this is.”

I extended my hand and the General took it. “I suggest starting with the truth.”

“What is the truth, Miss O’Conner?”

“That dragons have returned and with them comes the return of magic. Dragons are our friends and not to be feared.”

“People will need to see that to believe it.”

Myrmidon spoke and I translated for the General. “Myrmidon says that never in history have humans and dragons worked together. They have formed kindred bonds with us five and wish to see us all continue to work together.”

“What will you do with this one?” The General pointed at Ayzaisdur.

“We will take Ayzaisdur with us today and provide a fitting tribute.”

“Then we will leave you be. Come see me when you get a chance.”

“We will, General.”

We watched the military leave before mounting the dragons. I sat with Aiden’s arms wrapped around me on Myrmidon and it took all four dragons to lift Ayzaisdur into the air with us. We flew north towards an isolated rocky island. There Ayzaisdur was gently lowered to the ground.

I stroked Ayzaisdur’s head and thanked him for saving me. The four dragons surrounded Ayzaisdur while we all stepped back. This was a sacred moment for the dragons.

Myrmidon called to me. “Join us, Ciara, Kin of Dragons.”

I stepped forward and completed the circle around Ayzaisdur. One by one the dragons poured out their fire on Ayzaisdur. When it came for my turn, I held out my hand and a stream of white fire washed over Ayzaisdur. The combined fire reduced Ayzaisdur’s body to nothing but ash.

It felt fitting, honoring, but still my heart ached for Ayzaisdur. “I feel like I have lost a part of myself.”

“You have, Ciara. One can’t be bound to a dragon and not lose a part of themselves when one or the other dies. Ayzaisdur knew its life was over and yet still felt you could be saved.”

“I wish I could have done more, Myrmidon.”

“You can.”

“I don’t understand.”

“Come with us.”

We followed Myrmidon into a cave and deep underground. I used my magic to cast light for us all. We came to a vast cavern and in the center, was a large red crystalline egg.

“Upon hatching, we each find a new location to lay our descendant’s egg. Last time we all chose the same location, but this time, seeing the spread of humans throughout the lands, we each chose a location on their own.”

I walked up to the egg and placed my hand on the red, glistening, shiny shell. The egg was easily twice as tall as I was.

“Will Ayzaisdur remember me?”

“Yes. Use your fire, Ciara.”

My heart skipped a few beats as I stepped back from the egg and held up my hand. I bathed the egg in fire and a moment later, the red egg began to glow. With a loud crack, the egg shattered and the red head of a very large dragon emerged, roared, and blew fire before breaking free of the rest of the egg.

Myrmidon used its head to push me forward.

At first it looked disoriented and angry. “Ayzaisdur?”

The red dragon’s eyes looked at me warily, but then they softened and it stretched its head towards my outstretched hand. “Ciara, blood of my blood, Kin to Dragons.”

“Forgive me, Ayzaisdur. It was my fault you were killed.”

“Nonsense. If not for you, none of us would be here right now.”

“What happens now?”

Ayzaisdur stretched and shook its massive frame before speaking. “Dozzozdu’s minions still need to be controlled and I am famished. We will take you home so you can all recover while we find food. Tomorrow starts a new era of cooperation between humans and dragons. How should we begin that, Ciara?”

“Why should I decide for us?”

“Because you are our leader. Every dragon has its matriarch.”

“I do recall I didn’t ask for the job.”

“Who else would you appoint?”

I turned around and everyone backed away. Even the dragons tipped their heads. “Fine. I’ll do it in honor of my mother. Let’s go home, I’m dying to find out what I look like now.”

I reached out and stroked Ayzaisdur’s cheek before mounting. I hugged Ayzaisdur tightly. “I’m so glad you’re back. Thank you.”

***

It was dark when we landed at my home. It seemed like an eternity had passed but it hadn’t been that long at all. The dragons flew north in search of food and I suspect Ayzaisdur would find a new place for another egg.

Being dark, we were able to arrive without any commotion for which I was very thankful. Upon entering, I started a fire without even looking at the fireplace. I was growing more accustomed to my newfound magic. I was about to sit down when Aiden stopped me, placed both hands on my face and kissed me.

“I want you to know, Ciara, that I love you no matter what.”

That caused me to pause. Is the ‘no matter what’ that I’m ugly now? I rushed into the bathroom and cautiously looked at myself in the mirror. My long white hair was in stark contrast to my now slightly darker skin. Gone were the freckles and my green eyes. My eyes were now a gray color. If anything, I was more captivating and more beautiful than ever before even if I was much more unique looking now.

I stepped back and admired the long flowing white gown and thought I looked a little like the beautiful elven women on Lord of the Rings. I sort of missed my red hair, but in a way, this gave me a chance to not see my mother every time I looked in the mirror.

Stepping back into the living room, Aiden was watching me nervously. Nora was kissing Sean, and Liam was on his computer tapping away.

I pointed at Nora and Sean. “Was I dead a year? When did this happen?”

Nora looked up and smiled. “Don’t you remember me telling you I always had a thing for dungeon masters?”

Nope. I still remember me as Neale which no one else remembers.

Liam glanced up from his laptop and pushed his heavy glasses back up his nose. “You should see all the conspiracy stories out there about us and what the military were doing up north. There’s even footage of us flying into attack Dozzozdu. You think anyone will ever believe us?”

“I’m not sure anyone will ever believe the danger they were in and maybe it’s best they never know.”

Sean took a large bite of a sandwich. “We’re going to be famous. I won’t need to entice girls into my Dungeons and Dragons games anymore and Liam will finally get a girlfriend.”

Liam looked up. “Excuse me? I spend a lot of my time just keeping all of you out of trouble, thank you very much.”

Everyone laughed at that.

Aiden, who still looked a little sheepish, was putting my sword back up on the mantle.

“Where did you find that?”

“It was on the battlefield. I grabbed it before we flew north with Ayzaisdur. I thought you might want it. Are you all right?”

“I feel great. Why do you ask?”

“It’s just… You look so different.”

“It’s not the first time, even though I was finally getting used to my old look.”

“What do you mean get used to your old look?”

He doesn’t remember. “Nothing. Did you think I looked better before? I wonder if I can dye my hair if…”

“No! You’re stunning. Not that you weren’t before. I was worried that now you’re going to be famous, like Sean said. Famous and so unique and beautiful… You’ll have your pick of eligible men.”

I felt a little emboldened and walked over to Aiden. Placing my hand on his chest I leaned in close. “I don’t want to play with fate. Maeve and Breandan should have become lovers. However, I should tell you I’m already in love.”

“In love?”

“All this talk about being famous and having any guy I want does nothing for me. My heart is already given to you.”

Nora giggled. “Oh, for heaven’s sake, Ciara. Kiss him!”

“Mhmm.” I pressed my lips against Aiden’s and it felt like the world had finally come together. As I pulled back I could see the relief on Aiden’s face. “I’m a little worried though.”

“About what?”

“About what it might be like to raise magical children.”

Liam laughed. “Changing fiery diapers can be dangerous to your health.”

We were interrupted by a knock at the door. I opened it to find Ray standing there. He looked me over and whistled low but not in a seductive way.

“I just got off the phone with the General. He told me what you all did and the changes to Ciara. I’m having a hard time taking it all in, but I wanted to check on all of you to make sure you are all well.”

“I’m not sure what kind of dreams I might have, but, for the most part, we came away unscathed.”

“The General told me about Ayzaisdur. I’m sorry to hear the red dragon died.”

“Thank you, but all is not lost. Ayzaisdur has been reborn.”

“I’m sure there is a lot hidden in that last statement. Tomorrow afternoon at two o’clock, we’re having a town hall meeting. I’d like you all there. The news media will be here.”

“It begins!” Sean whooped.

I looked at Ray skeptically. “You sure we can’t do this a month from now?”

“The people need to know what happened. The General will be arriving as well. I see you’re hesitant.”

“I can’t speak for the others, but it’s all a lot to take in.”

“What happened out there, Ciara?”

“Ayzaisdur saved me just as the magical spheres were put in place to lock Dozzozdu away forever. However, we were both badly wounded. I’m pretty sure I died but the dragons restored me, albeit with a few changes to my looks.”

Aiden stepped up and offered more information that I wasn’t comfortable with. “It was Ciara that saved us all. We attacked Dozzozdu once and were sadly beaten back. Ciara absorbed the blood of the other dragons in an extremely painful process. This gave her invulnerability to Dozzozdu’s magic so she could attack it while we put up the spheres. Ciara risked her life for every living thing on earth.”

“Somehow I’m not at all surprised about that. How much of that do you want to be made known to the public tomorrow?”

“None of it.”

Nora got up from the couch. “But, Ciara! You saved us all.”

“How many times did I nearly fail and were rescued by you? This was a team effort and I don’t want to be the focus.”

“All right. We’ll downplay your role in all of this if that’s what you want. I understand.” Ray hugged me before turning to go. “Two o’clock tomorrow and then I’m buying pints for all of you.”

Sean burst out. “Two pints!”

Ray left and I closed the door. I turned to look upon the others in the room. With the exception of Aiden, I had always known Nora, Liam, and Sean as friends, but now we share something I haven’t felt for a few years; a true sense of family.

‘Don’t forget us, Ciara. We’re your family too.’

‘I only wish my parents were here to see this all. My mom especially.’

***

The next morning, we all hiked back out to the lake. I didn’t want to cause a disturbance having the dragons meet us at our house and the warm morning air was a nice change from the chilly temperatures we had been experiencing lately. Somehow the hike just felt right.

The dragons all arrived the moment we did and it was a great reunion for us all. Sean handed out dragon treats, Liam filled us in on the latest gossip, Nora practiced stacking boulders with Inugami, and I sat back and took it all in while I leaned back against the heavily armored neck of Ayzaisdur.

Ayzaisdur stirred and got up. “It’s time.”

The other dragons all circled together.

“Time for what?”

“We have spoken to each other and believe it is time to complete the bonds for Nora, Sean, and Liam.”

“What do you mean by completing the bond?”

“The scales they wear can be infused into their blood. It is time for the human race to return to what they once were; magical beings. Over time, the seed of you five will spread magic throughout the world.”

Liam looked concerned. “I’m not sure I could withstand anything Ciara went through.”

“With the scale against your skin, you are immune to your dragon’s fire. It will be a painless process.”

Liam still looked scared. “Great. I volunteer Sean go first.”

Sean, not wanting to look scared in front of Nora, puffed out his chest and stepped into the circle. “Bring it on. I want to add, this is also very humbling.”

Chimeras took a step forward into the ring. “Lay your scale on your forearm, Sean.”

Sean slipped off the necklace and laid the scale on his exposed forearm. “I’m ready.”

Chimeras slowly breathed fire across Sean’s forearm and we all watched as the scale vanished, leaving behind a small scale-shaped scar.

“I can feel it now. It’s in my blood.”

“Welcome, Sean. Kin to Dragons.”

The process was repeated with Nora and Liam. Aiden also wished to be bonded in such a way with Myrmidon and so we cut a scale from Myrmidon’s tale and repeated the process once again. It wasn’t until after they had completed the ceremony that I warned them they will now have dragons speaking to them in their heads.

Checking the time, it was almost two in the afternoon. We mounted the dragons and flew to Rathdrum town square. From the sky we could see thousands had converged on the small town and I almost turned around. The large central square had been cleared away by the police and military to allow us to land safely.

The last time Ayzaisdur came to this square we received a far different welcome. This time there were many gasps and cheers. Gasps at the magnificence of the dragons, and cheers for word had already spread about how the dragons had saved us. I dismounted Ayzaisdur and stood stroking the massive creature’s neck. A little girl ran out between the guards and stopped like a statue as Ayzaisdur lowered its mighty head toward the her.

A mother screamed her concern, but I waved the mother inside the circle and I picked up the little girl. “It’s perfectly safe. Would you like to speak with Ayzaisdur?” Afraid but also brave, the little girl nodded and I raised my hand to touch Ayzaisdur’s cheek. “Ask your question, little one.”

“Are you a good dragon or an evil dragon?”

Ayzaisdur’s throat rumbled. “I like to think I am a good dragon.”

“May I touch you?”

“You may.”

The little girl squirmed in my grasp until I held her close to the dragon’s face. Her little hand reached out and stroked Ayzaisdur. She giggled as the mother took her from my arms. “It’s a good dragon, Mother! It told me.”

“Did it really? I heard no words at all.”

I reached for the mother’s hand. “You must touch the dragon through me to hear. Go ahead, ask Ayzaisdur a question.”

The mother held back nothing. “Are you to blame for the killed livestock?”

“No lady, but we feed on the creatures that are attacking the livestock. I could bring you some of those creatures if you like.”

Her wide eyes expressed her astonishment as she pulled her hand from mine. She turned and ran back to the crowd, but as she did she was yelling. “The dragons speak! They’re good dragons.”

A cheer rose up and Ray and the General came out to greet us. Several camera crews and news anchors were in tow.

“Thank you for coming, Ciara.” The General tipped his head towards Ayzaisdur. “It appears your demise was short, Ayzaisdur. I’m glad you have returned to us.”

Ray gave me a hug. “Are you ready for this?”

“Totally ready. Liam will be our spokesperson.”

Liam looked over at us. “Me?”

“You have the most logical mind, Liam. It only makes sense.”

I swear Liam stood a few inches taller as he stepped forward. I was happy to lean back into Aiden and Ayzaisdur and watch the proceedings from a distance. The questions and interviews lasted for many hours and as evening fell, we sadly wished the dragons well and let them go hunting for their evening meals.

While the crowds dispersed I felt Aiden’s hand slip into mine. Sean and Nora had gone ahead with Liam to the pub. Aiden started walking and I held us back grateful for the momentary time alone. “The world is changing, Aiden. Are you sure you want me at your side?”

“More than anything in the world.”

“You’ve been my greatest supporter and protector through all of this. I can’t say life with me will be easy.”

“Easy is overrated.”

“You still owe me a date.”

“I think I can find a few hotdogs.”

I smiled and kissed him. “That would be just fine with me. I’ll try not to burn them this time.”

“You know I was just joking. You’re too good for hotdogs.”

I thought back to my time with my mother and how she used to be around my father. I snuggled into Aiden’s arms and laid my head on his shoulder. “I love you, Aiden.”

“I love you too. Let’s not let our pints get warm.”

I smiled and looked back over my shoulder. I could sense Ayzaisdur close by. Everything was going to be all right.

***

***

Thanks for taking the time to read my story. I hope you enjoyed it. Please leave a comment as this helps let me know what you think so I can continue to improve.

Casey Brooke

up
359 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Loved the story; and hope to

Loved the story; and hope to see future episodes of it, along with stories of people gaining magical powers FOR THE GOOD.

You have me hooked

With this story. Totally awesome, I just loved it. Well done

Sucker for Dragons

terrynaut's picture

I love stories about dragons. That definitely includes this one.

I thought the writing flowed well. Some of the dialogue felt a little stilted to me but it was minor. You might consider joining a website that workshops stories. I've joined one and it's helped me more than any casual comments have.

Thanks and kudos (number 68).

- Terry

To Casey

I don't think there is enough to say about this story. It was exceptionally written and well thought out. it has the color and feeling of the great classics; and improved on them. Well done and I'm hoping to see more of your masterful works soon.

Bree

Dragons

Sure they saved the world, but evil has many forms and you never know when a dragon or five or more might be handy. I still have to wonder. What happens next?

Terrific story

A very enjoyable read about dragons existing with modern society. Humans were being the thick headed ones as is typical. I enjoyed the plot twists of the changeing roles and fates of Maeve and Ciara. I was pretty certain that Ciara and Aiden were going to become a couple. Thanks for an excellent change of pace.

Thank You

Having invested countless hours in Game of Thrones I came away disappointed -- because George R. R. Martin never carried the direwolves to their logical conclusion. Your dragons did not disappoint.

One of the best stories I've read in a long time. Anywhere.

Jill

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

Mythical stories.

This is one of the best dragon stories I've ever read. Thanks enormously for the privilege. You are truly a creative and imaginative weaver of tales. Thank you once again.

Beverly.

bev_1.jpg

Such an Unusual Tale

Thank you so much for writing this. It was lovely. Ceira was really dense at times, but she finally rose to take her station. Her lack of strong self image is typical of so many of us.

Gwen

Wonderful epic tale!

And I so adore a happy ending.

Enchanting

My5InchFMHeels's picture

That was a great way to use dragons and humans together. The bonding at the end was perfect.

I can see a conclusion here, but also see that there is room to continue, should you choose so.

Wonderful Story!

Amazing

This story brought to mind a few games I've played recently - Guild Wars 2 for one. You defeat a many-headed dragon in your storyline quest, and in the following celebrations you hear a song titled "Fear Not this Night" - I could hear it in my head at the end of your story!

You can listen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jRLwdNyX3w

Would love to see more stories like this one!

(Duplicate Post)

(Duplicate Post)

Oops

(Duplicate Post)

Oops #1

(Duplicate Post)

Oops #2

(Duplicate Post)

Your magnificent epic story of dragons and magic

the villain seems related to Tia-mat somehow.All types of dragon heads and magic, though I liked your take on it better. Your story was magical in the best way possible. Right wins, and love finally conquers all. Just what I would wish for all of us if it were possible. Thank you for another thrilling fantasy ride. My Cousin, when a young man, played Dungeons and Dragons for years and had many characters over those years, including a dragon kin, who could transform into a full dragon. When I show him this work, with your kind permission, he will wet himself. Well he is 63 now and just survived the greatest fight of his life against pancreatic cancer, so he is about a little less than half the man he was. But his internal strength is greater than ever before. This story will bring tears to his eyes. So thank you for so great a gift to my poor Cousin Big Bad (named after the Jimmy Dean song), and for me. Now I can finally see other than "Luck" dragons in a different light. God bless. T.

I am a Proud mostly Native American woman. I am bi-polar. I am married, and mother to three boys. I hope we can be friends.

As I mentioned in your blog

I've never read a bad story from you. I would like to talk privately with you some time.

Dragon Treats

That was one of my favorite parts. I loved this story.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

Dragonriders of Earth!

Aine Sabine's picture

Love it! And would like to see more.

Wil

Aine