Flight of the Claymore -chapter 9

Printer-friendly version

Chapter 9
Flight Line, WSRDC, New Texas

I smile as I walk up to the Strike Eagle I’ll be flying today. After two weeks of nothing but similar flights and desk duty I’m finally getting some flight time. I know that similar time and desk duty are all part of being in the military. But they cannot replace the feeling of pushing a fighter through the air. I salute the private on security duty as I approach the aerospace fighter.

“Morning Private. Nice day for a flight.”

He smiles and returns my salute. “Morning ma’am. I don’t know about it being a nice day for flying or not, but it is a beautiful day.”

“Trust me Private. It is a nice day for flying. I just hope that I don’t crash.” I know it sounded like I was joking. I wasn’t though. I had been given the lovely task of performing a ‘dead stick’ landing today. The same type of landing that had put another pilot in the hospital for five weeks. The only difference is I will be doing it on purpose this time. Something I wasn’t looking forward to doing.

“I’m sure you won’t ma’am. The Strike Eagle is one of the best birds ever built.” As much as I wanted to contradict the Private I couldn’t bring myself to tell him the truth. The young man was proud of the new aerospace fighter, and he had a right to be. It was a beautiful aircraft. But like all aircraft it has its faults. I was there to find them by pushing the test birds to their limits.

I just smile and head for the cockpit ladder. I let my helmet hang loosely in my left hand as I do my walk around of the Strike Eagle. Unlike most pilots, I don’t trust the onboard AI to do the preflight checks. I made that mistake once in my young life and I ended up as a female. I’ll never again trust a flaky AI to do what I should have done in the first place.

‘Hey, I resent that remark there sister!’ I giggle at Lilly’s outrage over being called flaky. ‘You know something, I’m not too thrilled at being stuck with a suicide jockey like you either you know.’

I chuckled to myself over Lilly’s complaints as I finish my walkaround. When I get to a safety pin I pull each one. The big red ‘remove before flight’ flags let me know which ones have to go. When I get to the ones that mark the main weapons I pull them as well. I know that I’m supposed to leave them but, ever since the battle just inside the jump point, I won’t fly disarmed. Me and the research team have had more than one fight over this precaution. Thankfully my CO sided with me on the matter. I may not have missiles on the pods, but I do have the twin PPCs, dual Gatlin lasers, and one-oh-five autocannon. More than enough to take on an unsuspecting aerial enemy. I just hope that I don’t have to use those powerful weapons. The reports of aerial attacks on the outer settlements has been increasing.

With all twenty flags in my hands I climb into the cockpit to finish my preflight checks. ‘Lilly, have there been any new reports of aerial attacks?’

None since yesterday afternoon, Terresa. In a way this might be a good thing.’

I thought about what Lilly just told me and shook my head no. ‘Lilly this is one time where no news is bad news. If we can’t figure out where these attacks are coming from we’re in for a world of trouble. The last report came in from Billings Crossroads. That is less that four hours by air from here.’

Okay, I can see your point, but we’re still talking about hours of hard flying from there to here. More than enough time for a warning.’

Lilly, the attack before that was on Kingsport. The attacks before that was on Pecos and Cut an Shoot on the same day. The flight time between those two cities is five hours. Whoever is carrying out these attacks is not based anywhere planet side. They have to be using a carrier class dropship. That is the only answer that fits all the facts. And those reports of the all black KV-81 means it is the Amazons performing these attacks. And right now, we don’t have a fighter that can go up against her and win.’ I continue to go over the preflight as I explain my fears.

Before Lilly could reply Chief Daily stuck his head over the edge of the cockpit. “Okay, Lieutenant, she’s already to fly. You got a full load on the one-oh-five. Sixty rounds of armor piercing fin stabilized sabots. The PPCs and Gatlin are fully charged with brand new lenses. I replaced the heat sinks for all five weapons last night. I know that this bird is only half armed but with what you’re scheduled to do today I didn’t think having missiles on board would be such a good idea.”

I chuckled at this last comment. “No, I doubt it would be a good idea to have a few dozen explosives hanging off the wings during a crash. By the way how did you get the autocannon rounds approved?”

“That was easy, ma’am. I explained to the good doctors that the best way to test the strength of the nose struts was to load up the autocannon with training rounds. The dumbasses jumped all over the idea. I figured they didn’t need to know that training rounds pack the same punch as live rounds.” The crooked smile Chief Daily gave me let me know that my autocannon was loaded with real rounds.

“Thanks for covering my ass there Chief. I don’t know why but I just got this sickening feeling we’re going to get hit in the next few days.” I said as I handed him the preflight warning flags. I reached up and unzipped my flight suit as I deployed my bio-armor. I handed him my flight suit and began to strap into the command chair. Chief Daily reached up and connected the input to my helmet before handing it to me. Once I had settled my helmet Daily reached up one more time behind my head and pulled the last preflight safety pin arming the ejection seat.

With tap on my helmet Chief Daily gave me a thumbs-up. “All set to fly Lieutenant. Try to bring this one back in one piece?”

“Oh, stuff it Chief. It’s not my fault they pay me to break the damned things.” The big man chuckled as he climbed down the cockpit ladder.

Once I was alone I started going through the startup sequence for the Strike Eagle. The feel of the twin engines coming to life sent a rush of adrenaline through me. I couldn’t get this feeling in a simulator. As the lights of the instrument panel lit up I could feel the power aerospace fighter truly come to life. I looked over at Chief Daily as he gave the signal to pullout and follow the ground escort truck.

“Tower, this is flight two-two-zero, requesting clearance to taxi. Over” I called out over the radio.

“Flight two-two-zero, this is tower control, you’re cleared for to taxi to runway one-alpha and hold at hammerhead. Over”

“Copy tower, taxi to runway one-alpha and hold on hammerhead. Over” I knew that the tower control officer was going by the book. I so wanted to be in the air just then, but this was a test flight and the brass was watching. As I pulled to a stop on the hammerhead I looked down at the threat radar out of habit.

“Oh Shit! What the hell is coming in off the two o’clock, Tower? Over”

“Scorpion get that bird in the air now. Cleared for full tactical operations. Over”

I didn’t need to be told a second time and jammed the throttles to the stops. ‘Lilly get me a firing solution on those incoming birds. Now.’

‘That’s going to be a problem Terresa. Those aren’t fighters. I’m still working on identifying them. Just get us in the air for now. We’ll deal with what they are once we’re airborne. I’ll start pairing up the weapons and cycling power to them.’

“Damn. Just what we need. Unknowns coming in fast and hot. How many are we looking at here Lilly?” I asked out load.

For the first time I heard Lilly voice over the speakers of the cockpit. “Terresa, we’re looking at eight and climbing. I’ve also picked up another set of signals coming in from the eight and six o’clock positions. They’re still too far out to identify number or make but they’re definitely fast movers coming in on the deck.”

I reach the end of the runway and pull up hard on the stick. I climb as fast as I can for altitude. I know I need to get above the incoming attackers if I’m going to make a difference. The higher I climb the more my threat radar picks up on the incoming enemy. It doesn’t take long before Lilly has numbers and makes for me. Even as she puts the information on the HUD I know I won’t like what I see.

Coming in from the two o’clock position I counted nine fast ground attack bombers. Perfect for blasting the base to shreds. At the six and eight positions were light and medium escort fighters. I keyed the mike. “Tower control, we got two more flights inbound from the six and eight. Make them a mix of light and medium fighters. How copy? Over”

“Good copy Scorpion. Your priority is the flight of bombers inbound from the two o’clock. Shaggy and Scooby will take care of the others. Over”

I checked my radar and spotted the two aerial-patrol fighters coming in fast on the six of the two groups of fighters. This would give me time to handle the ground attack craft if I could get in among them fast enough. With this in mind I pushed the stick hard over to the left and stomped on the left rudder pedal. I had to use a totally different skill of flying now that I was in atmosphere. I couldn’t pull the radical moves that I did in space. Here I had to consider the friction of air currents over my control surfaces and wings. Then there were the stresses placed on my craft by the engines as they operate at full throttle.

As I rolled over into the far portside of the attacking formation I was brought up short. They weren’t aerospace fighters or ground attack craft. Keying my mike, I scream out the warning but I know I’ll be to late. “Vampire! Vampire! Vampire! Tower, I repeat! Vampire! Vampire! Vampire!”

There before me were nine heavy missiles on inbound courses for the base. I might get one or two of them but not all. I pushed my Strike Eagle to its limits. I knew that I had to get down on the cruise missiles before they cleared the low mountain range that surrounded the base. If I could do that I might be able to cutdown on the number of casualties. I swung in on their six. I sighted in on my first target and opened up with the PPCs. Even at this range I missed. I needed to get closer but know that it was a losing battle.

“Vampire! Vampire! Vampire! Tower, nine heavy cruise missiles inbound from the six o’clock. I repeat, nine heavy cruise missiles inbound from the six o’clock position!” I felt my heart drop at the report from Shaggy. If he had nine missiles where he was at that was a total of eighteen so far.

“Lilly, what are the chances of us stopping any of these missiles?” I knew the answer before she even gave it.

“Try Terresa, we have to try.” I lined up one more time and fired the Gatlin lasers. This time I destroyed the missile in my crosshairs. I shifted to the next one and again using the Gatlin lasers I downed one more missile. Then I watched in horror as the remaining seven missiles suddenly climbed. I knew that they were going into their termination dives. I was out of time.

As I flew over the base I watched as seven mushroom clouds rose from the impacts of the heavy missiles. I pulled up hard to circle the base and assess damage done by the attack. I started counting impacts and my heart fell even further. Then Lilly gave me the total of missile strikes. Twenty-three heavy cruise missiles hit the WSRDC. As I circled I scanned the skies looking for the follow up attack. “Lilly try and raise the Tower.”

“Terresa the ATC Tower took a direct hit from one of those missiles. It’s going to be awhile before anyone from the ground can contact us. We’re on our own up here.”

“Contact Shaggy and Scooby. Maybe they know what happened here.” I ordered her. It didn’t take her long and I was talking to the air patrol. “Scorpion here Shaggy. Did you see who lunched those missiles? Over”

“Shaggy here Scorpion. That’s a big fat negative. We were on the downside of our sweep when we picked them up on our radars. Any ideas on your end? Over”

I didn’t recognize the pilots voice at first. When I did I wanted to laugh at how lucky I could get. It was my CO Captain Heartlow. “Negative Shaggy. I was sitting on the hammerhead waiting for clearance when the warning went out. Over”

“Boss, I say we split up and each take one attack flight path and backtrack those missiles to whoever fired them. Over” the voice of Scooby was new to me.

“Negative Scooby. The base still needs top cover. Over” Shaggy snapped out.

“Shaggy I’m supposed to be doing dead sticks today. I can run the recon on those flight paths. Over” I figured that I could use the fact that I was supposed to be doing test flights today to carry out the recon.

I got my wish. “The duty is yours Scorpion. Keep an eye on your six. Whoever sent those heavy cruse missiles has to have top cover of their own. Over”

“Copy that Shaggy. Rolling out now. Out” I rolled right and head back along the flight path of the nine missiles that I had attacked. I climbed to twenty-thousand-feet and kicked in the afterburners. It wasn’t long before Lilly spotted our quarry. I smiled as I put the Strike Eagle into a nose dive. Switching over to the ground attack targeting system I smile as the three MLRS carriers appeared on my HUD. “Lilly keep an eye out for unwelcome company.”

“You don’t have to tell me twice Terresa. Just don’t miss. Blow those rat frackers to hell and back before they can fire on our base again.”

“I won’t miss Lilly. Trust me. I want payback as much as you do.” I announced my arrival with a three-round burst from my one-oh-five autocannon. I smile as the first MLRS explodes under this onslaught. The second MLRS gets my PPCs, and the third my Gatlin lasers. I swing wide roll over and loop back for a second strafing run. As I pull up out of the last attack I flip the switch and change back over to air-to-air radar. I wait as it sweeps through a full cycle and nothing shows. “Okay Lilly plot us course that would give us the best possible intercept for those other MLRS Batteries. I want them all girl.”

A few second later Lilly displayed what I need on the HUD. “Terresa, we need to get a move on if we’re going to catch those other two units.”

“I gotcha Lilly. Push the burners and don’t spare the horses.” I know that it would cause me a shit load of grief, but I didn’t care just then. I wanted payback and I was going to get it. I pull back on the stick and climb as I point the nose of my Strike Eagle on the new heading. I had just cleared the gathering clouds when a pair of H6-8Hs Hammerheads dropped out of nowhere.

“Terresa! Three o’clock and coming fast!” Lilly called out.

“I got ‘em sis.” I gritted my teeth and snapped an Ingram spiral. My sudden maneuver catches the two Hammerheads off guard. I know they weren’t expecting me to climb between them while attacking instead of turning and running. Once I pass them I loop hard over. I can hear the airframe groaning under the stress. I know I’m pushing the envelope, but I don’t care. I’m outnumbered and outgunned. Those two Hammerheads will blow this bird apart if I don’t take them down first. I have to score the first hits or I’m dead. This thought runs nonstop through my mind.

With the thought of dying before my time firmly in my mind I lock onto the wingman for the lead Hammerhead and fire everything at once. My twin PPCs slam home just ahead of the intakes for his engines and strip away the cowlings on the portside. I watch as the three-round burst from the autocannon punch through the armor over the portside engine tearing it apart. My Gatlin laser does the most damage by burning away the ailerons on both wings. I watch as the pilot rolls his Hammerhead into a flat plain and ejects. With that one dead I roll away right then pull back hard on the stick climbing to get a new attack angle on the second Hammerhead.

The lead Hammerhead did exactly what I had guessed he would do. The pilot was trying to get into my high six for the perfect kill shoot. Down and through the cockpit. Something that I would only try if I had the element of total surprise. I push forward on the stick and dive once more. Only this time I do so with my nose pointed at the Hammerhead’s belly. I smile as the Hammerhead’s pilot reacts just as I hoped he would by looping over and away. “Perfect. You’re a dead man.”

With a simple twist of the stick and a slight kick to the left rudder pedal I was in position for the kill he wanted. From behind, down and through the canopy. I cut lose with a three-round burst from the autocannon. I watch as all three, depleted uranium long rod penetrator rounds slam home. I double check my ammo count on the autocannon. “Damn. I need to back off on the big gun. Forty-eighty rounds left out of sixty. That damn thing eats ammunition like I eat chocolate doughnuts.”

“I doubt that! I don’t know of anything that can put away doughnuts like you can Terresa.” Lilly popped off with.

“Hush you! Give me the course heading for those missile batteries.”

That’s when Lilly gave me the news. “Sorry Terresa, but we have been ordered back to base. Before you go chew me out those orders come straight from the Crown Price not the Base Commander.”

I chew over what Lilly just told me. “What’s going on Lilly?”

“Terresa if the reports are accurate twelve Empyreal Bases have been attacked today. All in the same manner. Multiple heavy medium-long range cruise missiles from three different attack vectors at the same time. We’re the only ones to actual get some pay back on the attackers.”

As much as I wanted to argue the point I knew it was worthless to try. “Set course for the base Lilly. Full tactical approach. I do not want to get jumped again.”

“Got it Terresa. I was going to do that anyway. I still haven’t figured out how those two Hammerheads got the drop on us.”

“That’s simple Lilly. The Hammerhead is a deep strike stealth fighter. They’re normally used as spotters for artillery units. They can get in close before a radar will even pick them up thanks to that stealth ability of theirs. We just got lucky this time. They were in way too much of a hurry to get the drop on us. If those pilots had waited until we were on course for those other MRLS units we would be the ones looking for a ride home.” I could see the fight going totally different with the victory going to the enemy pilots.

As I cleared the mountain ridge line I got my first unobstructed view of the base. “FRACK! What the hell did those assholes use?”

“I’ve run a FSM scan of the base Terresa. I believe that the enemy used thermobaric warheads in their missiles. The number of casualties is still being counted.”

“Damn it! I want those people Lilly.” I snarled out. “I want them all. Can we at least land safely?”

“Runway two is clear and in full operation Terresa.” I smiled as I heard this and lined up for landing. As the gear came down I was surprised to see green lights on all control surfaces, and three greens on my landing gear. “We’re clear to land Terresa. May I suggest that we don’t crash?”

“Oh, stuff it Lilly. I haven’t crashed one of these babies yet. I’ve come close, but I have always got them down safely.” I snapped as swung in line with the runway. “Keep you head on a swivel until we get this beast parked Lilly. I have a feeling that we’re not out of the woods yet.”

“Understood, Terresa. Sorry for the flippancy.”

“Don’t worry about Lilly. I just have this feeling that those MLRS Units were waiting for the right time to strike. Like they knew exactly when to hit us to cause the most damage and casualties.” I knew I was letting my natural paranoia get the better of me. Yet I just couldn’t shake the feeling.

“You may be right Terresa. That strike couldn’t have come at a better time. More than half the base’s civilian personnel were out in the open on their way to the noontime meal. Those warheads did far more damage to buildings than personnel.”

As I touched down at the end of the runway, a thought occurred to me. “Lilly, exactly which buildings were targeted?”

It took her a few minutes before she could answer me. When she did I wanted to spit nails. “They had targeted the main R-n-D builds one through three, the food and water warehouses, and two of the aircraft hangers, Terresa. One of those hangers was the one for this Strike Eagle.”

“Ah shit! Did our people make it out safely?” I was really concerned for the safety of Chief Daily and his crew.

“Unknown at this time Terresa. The emergency service crews are still taking their initial headcounts and damage assessments. Sorry I can’t give you more information.”

“No need to apologize Lilly. I got an idea that Command is doing all it can right now to just get a handle on this situation. Let’s finish putting this beast to bed. Then go find someone who can fill us in on the full situation.” I had no sooner reached the end of the runway and the hammerhead than a guide truck pulled up. I pulled in behind them and they led me to one of the three undamaged hangers.

Chief Daily and his groundcrew were there waiting on me. I breathed a sigh of relief at the sight of those seven individuals. “Thank the goddess they’re all alright. Lilly start shutting the systems.”

“Already taking care of that Terresa. I’ve turned the shutdown process over to the onboard AI. It’s smart enough to handle that much.” I laughed at the smugness in Lilly’s voice. The tactical AI for the Strike Eagle was nowhere near as intelligent as Lilly and she loves to remind me of this fact whenever she can.

The cockpit canopy slid back allowing me the needed room to unstrap and Chief Daily access to give me a hand exiting the cockpit. He quickly removed my helmet while I was dealing with the ejection seat straps. In few seconds I was released from the seat and cockpit. Chief Daily gave me a hand exiting the cockpit and down the crew ladder. As I passed one of my groundcrew the young man gave me a salute. “Good to have you back in one-piece ma’am.”

“It’s good to be back in one-piece Corporal. Chief Daily, can you tell me where the Command Post is set up?” I called up to Chief Daily.

“Head for the ATC Tower base ma’am.” Chief Daily never took his eye off of what he was doing in the cockpit. “And ma’am it’s fracking bad out there. Watch your step, and under no circumstances are you to disengage your bio-armor. Orders from your brother and sister. Do me and my crew a favor. Follow their orders.”

As much as I wanted to tell Chief Daily that I was a grown damn woman, I listened. There was something in his voice that let me know the base wasn’t totally safe right now. We may have gutted the spy ring, but that didn’t mean that we got them all. I walked over to where the small arms locker was for this hanger. After entering my access code, I waited for it to open. When it didn’t I called over to one of the groundcrew. “Corporal Hines, do you have the access code to this locker?”

“Just a moment ma’am.” I waited for Hines to finish what he was doing. When he tried his access code the locker remained locked. “What the frack? Just a moment ma’am. Let me take a look at something.”

He walked over to the hanger office leaving me standing there. I tried my code again and again got nothing. When Hines returned he carried a portable plasma cutting torch. “I contacted the Command Post, ma’am. Orders are to open all arms lockers no matter what we have to do. That includes cutting them open.”

“Damn what the hell happened?” I asked Hines.

“One of those missiles strikes was on the primary computer control center. That one strike scrambled the lock codes for every arms lock on the post.” Hines was busy cutting the locking pins on the arms locker as he explained what happened. As the door finally fell away I exhaled the breath I had been holding. I need the weapons in that locker more now than ever before. “Once you’re armed ma’am, you really need to head for the CP. The Base CO said something about needing a report on the MLRS unit that attacked us.”

I just grabbed the first pistol that fit my hand, a holster, and four of the prefilled magazines for it. I double checked and grabbed a fifth magazine then loaded the pistol. The EFA-45 is the standard pistol of the Military Police. It is a compact semiautomatic pistol that fires a 9mm round. Each magazine holds only 12 of the new high-impact full metal-jacketed rounds. I really didn’t care just then as I wanted something on my hip. I also grabbed one of the combat vests hanging inside the locker. I want this for the extra ammunition pouches, and grenade loops. After grabbing another 8 mags for the EFA-45 and four grenades I looked for a combat knife. The only ones that I find are R-8 trench knives.

Once I was armed I turned to Chief Daily. “Yeah Chief, I’m out of here. Make sure to load up the wing pods this time. Mavs, Snakes, and Hawks, full mixed loadout. The same for the cannon.”

“Sorry, Lieutenant, but you won’t be flying this bird again. We got more pilots than fighters. That’s why the CO wants to see you. I have a feeling they’re shipping you Marks and Little over to Billings.” Chief Daily called back.

I had an idea. “Chief did you ever get around to looking at that design I sent you? You know the one I’m talking about.”

Chief Daily started chuckling. “If the manufacturing center didn’t get hit then that beautiful aircraft should be sitting there waiting on you. I had to make a few changes in the weapons load out to make it work though. I had to move lasers into the wing sections between the centerline pod and the engine booms. What that gives you is twenty Pulse Plasma Lasers. Ten in the nose and five in each winglet. I was able to up the PPCs to eight with four in the nose and two in each winglet. Try as I might I couldn’t squeeze in one of those Gatlin’s like you wanted. I was able to get you a centerline one-twenty smoothbore autocannon.”

“Damn, Chief you really went all out. How does it handle in the simulator?”

“I’m no pilot Lieutenant, but from what the Captain and Lieutenant Marks said it is a real apex predator in the skies. One of them called it the blade of death while the other said something about Great White sharks hunting baby seals.” I knew who had made which comments by the content. Marks was the only man on the base from Earth Prime originally. Someplace called Southern California where sea lions and seals are known to frequent for breeding.

“Well, Marks would know about those monsters of the deep better than anyone else on base. Have you gotten a look at her yet?” I asked Daily.

“Outside of the flight sims no. But if she is anything like the simulator she’ll take everything you got and then some Lieutenant. That bird is mean, nasty, and above all, deadly now that she’s armed. Sadly, you’ll have to wait to get a look at her. The Base CO needs that report.” Chief Daily pointed in the direction of the temporary Command Post. “Been nice knowing you ma’am. I would have loved to see what the Great White would have done in your hands.”

I got the hidden meaning behind the Chief’s parting words to me. If we got attacked in the next day I was to head for the manufacturing center. It was at the far end of runway three, with a taxi way that led directly from the fabrication floor. I walked outside and looked around at the damage done by the missile attacks. Turning my HUD up to full power I zeroed in on where the ATC Tower should have been. All that was left was a smashed pile of ruble. Lilly painted a map of what should be where across my HUD as I turned in place. The more I saw of the destruction the madder I became over the attack. On the good side, things like the fuel depot, ammo dump, and base armory were untouched. As my scans fell on the manufacturing center I found my first real piece of good news. It was intact and functioning.

The down side of my scans was the areas that did get hit were just as important. Over half the barracks were destroyed, along with two of the four chow halls. The base hospital had sustained damage from a near miss. Not bad enough to put it out of commission but it would be operating below full capacity. Both the ATC Tower and the ATC Center had been damaged beyond use for now. The southern barricade had been turned into a crater strewn field. The biggest blow to our defensive force was the direct strike to the APS hanger. I couldn’t tell if any of those massive war machines had been damaged but it was a good bet they had been. There was also the normal truck and small vehicle damage.

“Damn. Just what the hell were those local yocals trying to do? Piss off the Empire?” I said into the empty air as I walked towards the CP.

“That is exactly what they were trying to do ma’am.” I wasn’t expecting an answer to my question but smiled at the Sergeant who did. “They pull us in and this fight becomes a three-way slugfest. Once that happens the Amazons have to pull back. In short ma’am. This whole attack was calculated to be damaging but still keeping the total number of casualties down to a minimum, ma’am.”

I stopped and looked over at the Sergeant. I noticed he was a Sergeant First Class and wore the black beret of the Special Operation teams. He would most likely know Sylvester. “Tell me something Sergeant, did my brother the Major send you to find me? And how can you tell that it was calculated to keep down the number of casualties? Frack. They were using thermobaric warheads.”

“Yes ma’am. Him and the Base Commander. As for how I spotted the type of attack it was easy. They waited until the civilians were headed for chow and clear of the primary buildings. Next, they only targeted military buildings that would be empty at this time of the day. And lastly they only went after targets that would force us to either spend a massive amount of resources to repair or abandon the base.” The Sergeant pointed at the ATC Tower as an example of the last.

“Tell me something Sergeant, what would the locals gain from targeting the APS and aerospace fighter hangers?” I asked him as I looked over in their direction.

“Nothing really except for taking the fighters out of the fight. The APS hanger is super hardened against this type of attack. Sure, they could damage the Suit, but within the next hour those babies will be repaired and ready to fight. The aerospace fighters are another story. Damage them, and you remove the one thing we have that equalizes the fight. Either way this attack was most likely to force us to abandon the base. As it stands now, it’ll be a son-of-bitch to defend.”

The minute the Sergeant said force us to abandon the base I knew what the locals really wanted. It was the manufacturing center. It could produce aerospace fighters and assault shuttles in mere hours from known designs. When you add in the fuel depot, ammo dump, and untouched runways with a mobile ATC Unit you get a working airbase in a matter of hours. I took off at a dead run for the CP.

The Sergeant had to really push himself to catch up with me. “What the matter ma’am? Where’s the fire? We got time.”

“No, we don’t Sergeant. We’re going to get hit again, and soon. Trust me on this.”

I didn’t bother explain anything else as we reach the Command Post. The guard asked for our id’s before letting us pass. “The BCO and Major Cole are waiting for you ma’am. I suggest that you hurry.”

I just gave the guard a harsh glare and walked over to the tent that had been setup to act as the Command Post. As I stepped inside I heard the Sergeant First Class begin to chew out the guard. I knew I could leave that matter in the hands of the Sergeant. Right now, I had more pressing matters to face.

I stepped up to Lieutenant Colonel Nakatoma and saluted. “Flight Lieutenant First Class Terresa Cole reporting sir.”

“At ease Lieutenant.” I dropped into Parade Rest position. “Okay Lieutenant, give us what you know.”

“Yes sir. Shortly before takeoff Tower Control report an inbound flight of unknowns coming in from the two o’clock position. I took off at full throttle and climbed to an altitude of three hundred feet then nosed over into attack. It was at that time that I got good returns on my radar and lidar targeting systems. I called out a warning for the cruise missiles then dropped down in an attempt to shoot down the inbounds. I managed to down two, sir. Forced to circle the base with the CAP aircraft the patrol leader authorized me to backtrack the missile trajectories. At thirty miles out, I spotted a Multiple Rocket Launching System battery. Once identified I went into ground attack mode. After making two passes and destroying the battery I climbed for altitude. I was plotting my next intercept course for my next target when I was jumped by a pair of H6-8Hs Hammerheads. After downing both, I received orders to return to base.”

Sylvester looked me in the face. “As you’re our only source for an aerial tactical review right now Lieutenant what is your assessment?”

“In a word Major Cole. Fracked. Unfortunately, we cannot abandon this base.” I told them all honestly. At the blank looks on Sylvester and the Prince’s face I sighed. “Sirs, if we abandon this base we give the enemy a usable airstrip. One that has a fully FUNCTIONING manufacturing center. A manufacturing center that can produce fighters, bombers, and assault shuttles in a matter of hours off any known design. When we add in the undamaged fuel depot, and ammo dump. Let’s just say it’s a nightmare waiting to happen sirs.”

As I laid everything out for them Prince James and Sylvester turned bright red in anger. They had not seen the big picture this time. James turned to one of the other Majors in the CP. “Bitters, get General Horn on the line fast.”

“On it sir. It’ll take a few seconds, because of the damage to the coms array.” The Major answered tiredly. I could tell that he was already stressing out. “I’m having to bounce the signal off two satellites to reach Division Command sir.”

“Do what you can Bitters.” Prince James said then turned back to me. “Lieutenant Cole, I know that you don’t want to hear this, but you, Marks, and Little are transferring over to the base at Billings. I’m sorry but we just don’t have the fighters for everyone. That attack has basically crippled our ability to wage an air campaign of any type other than defensive.”

I didn’t want to hear that part and I knew how to change his mind. “Sir there are two experimental fighters sitting in the hanger over at the manufacturing center. Between myself and Little we can fly those birds. It will give us a better chance of defending this base.”

I really wasn’t ready to bring my baby to the attention of the military but if it was the only way I got to stay in this fight then so be it. Prince James looked at me then sighed. “You said that center can produce fighters in hours off of known designs, Lieutenant. How long for a full Wing?”

Lilly gave me the calculations and I smiled. “Seven hours, twenty-two minutes, and eighteen seconds from start to finish. Depending on the design. If you want lite interceptors about two hours sooner, for heavies about two and half hours longer. You want bombers fourteen hours and forty-three minutes. No matter the class. Ground attack fighter bombers we’re back to the original time of seven hours, twenty-two minutes. For assault shuttles the time will vary depended on type, but the standard will be around nineteen hours. Now that is going off the information from my AI sir. I don’t have hard facts. For that we would have to find the center’s manager.”

“Then don’t just stand there, Lieutenant. Go get me those numbers.” Prince James looked around the tent. “Gentlemen, this is where we make our stand. Major Steward, how fast can those Engineers of yours build the needed fortifications for this base? By that I mean full trench work with interlocking fields of fire for APS units and bunkered artillery.”

“Give us thirty-seven hours of uninterrupted work and you’ll have your basic Light infantry battle positions. Another ten, will get you APS defilades and pillboxes for the artillery. Get me sixty hours and I’ll turn this base into a full fire and support base with all the trimmings, sir.” I looked over at the Combat Engineer Major in shock. All he wanted was two days to give the Prince want he requested.

“I’ll do what I can Major Steward. Major Lee, how long before you can have the APS battalion battle ready?” Prince James asked of his XO.

“Four hours to clear the hanger doors of ruble and another three to clear the gantries. The good news is only one of the assault APS took any damage, sir.” Lee answered. “Before you ask sir, it was Major Hood’s APS. As he is currently in the hospital it will not affect our operations.”

“What of the Scouts, Mediums, Fire Supports, and Heavies, Lee? Are they in good condition?” Prince James asked quickly.

“Yet to be determined sir. The roof of the APS hanger is being held up by the gantries. Until we can clear the ruble we just won’t know sir.” I almost shit my pants at hearing this. Without those battlefield monsters the only hope of defending this base was the Light Infantry positions and ground attack fighters. Fighters that would need cover to do their jobs. The news didn’t get any better.

“Major Cole, how do we stand with the Infantry?”

“It’s a mixed bag of tricks sir. Between the two battalions I have one medium Fast Attack Battalion and one pure Light Air Assault battalion. The Fast Attack is outfitted with Mark four D FAV’s and Bravo nine B IFV’s. they’re the heavy hitters for the Infantry. Without their air support the Assault Battalion would be best used in pre-dug defensive positions. That is the best I can do for you sir.” I wanted to smack Sylvester at this point. Then he really dropped the bomb. “Unlike the Lieutenant I don’t see any reason for defending this base with what we have. I suggest we plant charges and destroy everything in place sir.”

“I’ll take your opinion under advisement Major Cole.” Prince James told him then turned to the next man in line. “Major Jackson, what’s the status of those fuel tanks and the ammo dump?”

“Way too much to move or leave in place, sir. Even if we set charges and blew everything there would be no way of insuring we got it all. I won’t even go into what it would take to get rid of the supply warehouses and manufacturing center. I doubt that we have the explosives needed to even put a dent in those places sir.”

I gave Jackson an appraising look. Of all the officers in the tent he was the only one that was an elf. Which in todays military was a rarity. Then again, I was even more of the rarity so I had no room to talk.

When I looked back over at the Prince, I could tell he had already made up his mind. “AS I said at the start people, we make our stand here. This base stands or falls by our efforts. Steward you and your people got forty hours to get those battlements dug and built. Lee, I want those APS lances free and operating in the next seven hours. Cole, use the FAV team as O.P.’s and roving scouts. I don’t want another surprise attack like this morning. Jackson, do what you can to spread out those munitions and fuel. Major Bitters have you raised the Division Command Post yet?”

The Communications Major turned to the Prince and just flipped a switch on his console. What came out of the speakers grabbed everyone’s attention, but especially mine. “This is Black Eagle Six. Broken Arrow, I repeat Broken Arrow. This is not a drill. All units to rally at Fire Base, Whiskey Sierra Romeo Delta. I say again. All units this net, Broken Arrow. It’s been an honor, Black Eagle Six Out.”

I didn’t even wait for the order. I ran from the CP and headed for the manufacturing center’s hanger. I didn’t realize how fast I was running until Lilly activated my HUD. I passed the 89kph mark before I was halfway to the hanger. No one had called a Broken Arrow in over thirty years. The last person to do so was the late Queen Tatianna of High Winds. I was not about to let Black Eagle Six join her in a final battle alone against overwhelming odds.

I reached the hanger just as Chief Daily and his band of misfits were rolling the XF-11 into position for takeoff. I noticed that the fighter was fully prepped for combat. Chief Daily tossed me, my flight helmet. “You’re going to need that ma’am.”

“Thanks Chief. How did you know to get her ready for combat?”

“We figured that you won’t just let yourself get transferred without going after the Black Witch first. We just didn’t expect you to come hauling ass through the door like that.” Chief Daily smirked letting me know that he was unaware of the situation at Division Command.

“Chief, we’ve got a broken arrow at Division Command. Does she have the legs to reach that far?” I asked as I climbed into the XF-11’s cockpit.

“More than enough to get you there, ma’am, at full throttle. Plus, twenty minutes worth of combat flight time. After that you’ll have to pull out. I’ll arrange for a refuel to meet you at the halfway point on your way back. You got nine Maverick ATA missiles, nine Sidewinder Rattlesnake ATA missiles, and six Mark eight Hawk ATG missiles. You got a one-hundred-fifty round cannon loadout in a mix of one-three, going from armor piercing, buckshot, and high explosive. Remember to stay light on the trigger for that bad boy. It’ll eat through that one-hundred and fifty rounds faster than a Mess Hall First Sergeant on a ten-day diet at cake eating contest. Also, you’ll want to keep an eye on the overrev gages. You push the engines too hard for the first half hour after takeoff you’ll burn out the fans.” Chief Daily never stopped giving me advice as I strapped into the ejection seat while he took care of hooking up my helmet. The last piece of advice I really didn’t want to hear. “Above all else Lieutenant, remember this bird is still experimental.”

“Gotcha, Chief. And thanks for the advice. I’ll try to bring her home in one piece.” As I reached over and started going through the engine startup sequence. “By the way did you and your guys ever come up with a designation for her?”

“The only one that fits her ma’am. She’s beautiful, she’s fast, she’s small, and above all else she’s deadly, just like you. Welcome the FB-11 Claymore. Or as we call her, The Silver Eyed Witch.”

-----tbc-----

up
779 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

"Ruh!!!! Oh!! Raggy"

Sammi's picture

Wonder if Scooby is of Danish decent


"REMEMBER, No matter where you go, There you are."

Sammi xxx

Flight claymore

As this usually comes out Saturday, do we get another one tomorrow?

Usually

posted between 2100 and 2359 Friday, local time for the author

Was later last week at 0148 Saturday morning, local time for the author

Fantastic story

More please!! I was just settling in for a battle and it ended! Great story. Can’t wait for next chapter.

Next chapter

Robyn B's picture

Oh Jess,

Next Saturday is sooo far away...

Robyn B
Sydney

Strik on the base

It is getting interesting now, and we finely get to see the new fighter the LT can fly and maybe not break.
I want to know if it was the locals are the Amazons who did the strike because while the type damage point to it being the locals so they can get the manufacturing facilities, working runway, fuel and ammo. It could still be the Amazons because this would help them too, because by hitting all the bases it might force the Empress to give priority to taking out the local put the Amazons on the back burner. The one mistake by side have made is forgetting who they are dealing with because I we see James has made the decision to make a stand because they cannot let the back facilities fall into ether the locals or the Amazons hand and Death Dealer and at their worst when put in a No-Win Scenario as history has shown and I do not see the Empress listing this slid.
Jessie way to, each Friday I start checking for the next chapter at 0001hr even thought you have been posting late in the day and still start checking at the start of the day in hope the new chapter will show up early. I am liking the whole theme of this story.

I doubt that it was the Amazons

Sammi's picture

mainly because, it was a terror attack, calculated as was quoted.

“They pull us in and this fight becomes a three-way slugfest. Once that happens the Amazons have to pull back. In short ma’am. This whole attack was calculated to be damaging but still keeping the total number of casualties down to a minimum, ma’am.”

With their attitudes and views of the Amazons wouldn't have cared about
"keeping the total number of casualties down to a minimum "

And I'd guess that their targets would have caused the most issues for the Imperial troops in system.
This statement would have been the opposite
"On the good side, things like the fuel depot, ammo dump, and base armory were untouched."


"REMEMBER, No matter where you go, There you are."

Sammi xxx

It could still be a false

It could still be a false flag from the Amazons as well. A warning shot across the bow. Remember the conspiracy ring they've already discovered. The Amazons could be warning the Imperium to stay out of it. Until Jess resolves _this_ cliffhanger, we won't know much. If Broken Arrow involves the black fighter - then it's Amazons.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Quite right

Sammi's picture

I got my terminology wiring crossed, as I read "Broken Arrow" as a lost or stolen fighter thinking about the fighter Terresa took out as a test flight just as the excreta made contact with the rotary air agitator.

Broken Arrow refers to an accidental event that involves nuclear weapons, warheads or components which does not create the risk of nuclear war. ... Accidental or unexplained nuclear detonation. Non-nuclear detonation or burning of a nuclear weapon.

Because I mistook the terminology to mean the fighter, that the local militia had stolen it, as when Terresa had been called to the CO's office, another pilot had taken that fighter out.


"REMEMBER, No matter where you go, There you are."

Sammi xxx

Broken Arrow also refers to

wolfjess7's picture

Broken Arrow also refers to a military base with a Colonel or higher as Commander being over run. This usually only happens at Army posts and Marine Fire Bases.

May the peace and happiness of the Goddess keep and protect you
as always your humble outlaw
Jessie Wolf

I’m a junkie for your stories

I’m a junkie for your stories and you always give me the fix I need But the problem with junkies as we always want more sooner and sooner

Can't wait

to see how the next battle goes. This is one of your best stories of the series. I was hoping that Terresa's mother got there and had a fit until she found out how she got a new daughter and Claymore and then maybe did a better gob to straighten her out them Frued did in screwing things up. Great job!!!

Cliff hangers

Jess,
Fantastic story but I have a complaint. Do you know how long the week gets after you leave us with a cliff hanger like that?

Points at the ticket hanging on her desk.

wolfjess7's picture

*Author points to the grenade on her desk with the tag hanging from the pin.* Please take a number and someone will be with you shortly. Either Maiha or Samantha will more than happy to handle your complaint sir. Please have a pleasant day.

May the peace and happiness of the Goddess keep and protect you
as always your humble outlaw
Jessie Wolf

I honestly believe you have

I honestly believe you have one of those, it's the perfect gift for you :D

I'm told STFU more times in a day than most people get told in a lifetime

Lmfao

My5InchFMHeels's picture

Oh, it would be soooo interesting to see The Maid (Anna seems more likely to log the complaint that Sam ::giggle::) with a Second Gen upgrade.... not to mention SCARY!

Oh goddess no do not even

Oh goddess no do not even think of the terror the deputies would inflict with second GEN upgrades

Flight of the Claymore

Sure leave me on that cliff hanging on by my fingernails. I was wondering if there was amy rhyme or reason for you ship names or just going with what you had heard in common usage.

Time is the longest distance to your destination.

Ship names, and usage.

wolfjess7's picture

most of the ships names I have used are all references to historical ships and their classes. More than 80% of the names I have used can be found at one point or another in history. For example Cutters were first seen in the 1700's while Ogres were cargo carriers during the 1500-1600's. Both of which are still in use to this day. Warships can be found ranging from the late 1600's through the late 2000's. I hope this answers your question.

May the peace and happiness of the Goddess keep and protect you
as always your humble outlaw
Jessie Wolf

Welcome to Wolfjess7's favourite game

persephone's picture

Every episode you read has references to several of the following:

  • Icons of popular culture
  • Current or historical military hardware
  • Science fiction

The game is simple. Spot as many as you can then drop her a PM to let her know. Maybe she will let you know how many you missed or got wrong. For example (sorry, spoiler alert for this episode)

  • Shaggy and Scooby are obvious.
  • Strike Eagle is an F15.
  • The Mark 4 Ds are probably based on the Pzkw IV auf D
  • The FB 11 is probably a derivative of the General Dynamics FB 111
  • As an outside guess the KV 81 might be linked to Mozart's Symphony in D Major
  • Sidewinders and Mavericks are well known A2A and A2G missiles.
  • Silver Eyed Witches are characters in the Anime 'Claymore' (one of whom just happens to be named Teresa)

The key thing is not to do what I just did and possibly spoil the game for others. Just PM Jessie. Tell her what you think of the story and list your guesses.

In some of her early chapters of book one of 'Death's own Daughter' you really had to have a very solid grounding in military kit and science fiction.

:)

Persephone

Non sum qualis eram

Author blows whistle and throws yellow flag

wolfjess7's picture

FLAG ON THE PLAY! ILLEGAL USE OF FOREKNOWLEDGE! 10 YARD PENALTY AND REPEAT OF DOWN!
*giggles* I always wanted to do that. Now on a more serious note. The rules of the game are simple as Persephone has stated. Find the Easter Eggs and send me a PM. I will always answer. Just remember to use the header of Easter Egg Hunt. Now sense the lovely lady went so far as to give out her answers for everyone here I will let everyone know that she got 2 answers wrong, and failed to mention 2 others completely. I won't say which ones but they are there. Have fun hunting them down. ;)

May the peace and happiness of the Goddess keep and protect you
as always your humble outlaw
Jessie Wolf

KV81 is missing the second

KV81 is missing the second half which is the actual easter egg for it: Sturmgewehr ;)

I'm told STFU more times in a day than most people get told in a lifetime

Okay efin

wolfjess7's picture

Okay efindumb, sense you have pointed out the egg. What is the second half as the TRUE Easter Egg. What is the answer to the Sturmgewhere? ;) (Sits back and giggles) Prove your all powerful knowledge.

May the peace and happiness of the Goddess keep and protect you
as always your humble outlaw
Jessie Wolf

Sorry Jessie :(

Sorry Jessie :(

The KV81 Sturmgewehr is named after thge granddaddy of all assault rifles, the StG 44. A Nazi design that was so good it "inspired" the Soviets to design the AK47 and its derivatives and paved the way for variable speed rifles to dominate to this day.

Unless there was a plane named after it...

I'm told STFU more times in a day than most people get told in a lifetime

Sorry wrong Sturmgeweher

wolfjess7's picture

Good guess efindumb, but wrong answer. I suggest that you look towards the X plans of the Western Germans between 1950-1980. You will find the answer there my good friend. And yes it is a plan.

May the peace and happiness of the Goddess keep and protect you
as always your humble outlaw
Jessie Wolf

The almighty Google hath

The almighty Google hath failed me...

I looked a couple of times and couldn't come up with anything except that...you really showed your research skills there. I'll shut up now as I have again been put in place for being a know-it-all who doesn't know it all.

I'm told STFU more times in a day than most people get told in a lifetime

EWR VJ 101

Would that plane happen to be the EWR VJ 101

Ding ding

wolfjess7's picture

Ding ding! We have a winner! THe answer is yes the plane in question is the EWR VJ 101.

May the peace and happiness of the Goddess keep and protect you
as always your humble outlaw
Jessie Wolf

Beautiful bird not quite as

Beautiful bird not quite as pretty as the XF-11 in my opinion I would actually love to see revival of the XF 11 instead of a turboprop It uses a Pratt and Whitney 119 and a Gau-8 30mm In the main pod For starters

I'm disappointed

All this time I thought the FB-11 was an update of the YF-12A, a variation of which is what we now call the SR-71 Blackbird. The XF-11 wasn't exactly a "failed" design, it actually had a production order of 100 but like many other good AC designs, the end of the war and the creation of the USAF caused it to be cancelled.

OTOH, the YF-12, A-12, and the SR-71 combined production was 32 AC. In spite of having an "assembly line" each aircraft, due to the fabrication problems inherent with titanium, was essentially a one-off. It could reach Mach 3.2 in level flight at 80,000 feet. Definitely closer to the specs of Terresa's literary FB-11 than the original XF-11. And a darn sight prettier. Just think what Emily would think of the beauty of F-12 compared to her KV-81, all black and sleek and menacing. It would make her Marybelle look like a lump of lead.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Runway numbers

Loving the story so far. Only real correction needed I can find is your runway numbering. Runway numbers are based on a 360 degree circle. Therefore runway 9 would be east to west from compass heading 090 where as if you were landing or taking off from the west the same runway would become runway 27 compass heading 270 (take heading 090 add 180 degrees and it gives you heading 270). When you have two runways running the same direction they would be labeled left or right (ex. runway 27L or 27R). Since aircraft takeoff or land into the wind whenever possible your runways would be laid out to take advantage of the most common wind directions for the area to avoid crosswinds. I don't see this changing in the future as it's probably the most efficient system and is used for all airports worldwide and most probably would be implemented regardless of what planet you were on.

Addictively good!

Really hoping that next one comes out sooner rather than later! These sagas would make amazing screenplays....

Since stealth

is part of this aircraft they can not have the fun with the paint job it deserves.

I think you're confusing stealth

with camouflage. Stealth aircraft are built with materials and design features that make them absorb and or redirect radar waves masking them from electronic detection. Some also have features that obscure their heat signatures to obscure them from Infrared sensors.

The F117 stealth fighter has both systems although the flat black paint job makes one very easy to see against the blue sky background with the naked eye when flown during daylight hours. Of course they are normally flown at night which the black paint does help camouflage it against the night sky.

We the willing, led by the unsure. Have been doing so much with so little for so long,
We are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

The paint is also a special

The paint is also a special blend that is so important to its job as a "stealth" fighter that it is causing a big problem in the newest tankers as they are scratching it with their booms causing issues and wasting thousands of dollars. There is no true stealth plane possible, only planes that can best mitigate ways of being discovered.

For the enemy if you can see the planes, it's already too late.

I'm told STFU more times in a day than most people get told in a lifetime

On “stealth”

From Wikipedia:
Tamara was the third generation Czechoslovak electronic support measures (ESM) system that used measurements of time difference of arrival (TDOA) of pulses at three or four sites to accurately detect and track airborne emitters by multilateration. Tamara's designations were KRTP-86 and KRTP-91 and it carried the NATO reporting name of Trash Can. The designation was derived from the Czech phrase "Komplet Radiotechnického Průzkumu" meaning "Radiotechnical Reconnaissance Set". It was claimed to be the only one in the world able to detect military "invisible aircraft".[1]

There are now other similar systems.

Not a false flag operation

WolfJess has done her usual great job of giving us just enough information to speculate on who attacked the base, but not enough for us to reach a conclusion.

We know that per Ryuk, the Amazons want a protracted three way war to weaken the Empire. We know the humans in the NCS will shoot at the Empyreal Forces when they intervene to keep the peace. We also know that the humans in the NCS are arming themselves heavily- often with weapons stolen form the Empire- and that their numbers include some serious bad ass veterans of the Empyreal armed forces. What we shouldn't lose sight of is that Emily Calisto is a serious hot head and she has a real hard on for Sylvester Cole and Tessa Cole, although she doesn't know her by name (or WolfJess hasn't revealed that to us yet). The Amazons know through their (now defunct) spy ring about the Strike Eagle, which is a threat to their air supremacy. So we the readers are left twisting in the wind, reading proverbial tea leaves and speculating on who is attacking the base.

Since the attack was designed to minimize casualties and maximize damage to defenses, at first look it is plausible that the Texans want the ability to produce weapons to defend themselves and would be loather to slaughter other humans, at the same time trying to draw the Empire out of neutrality and into war with the Amazons- a false flag operation. The problem with this idea is that the New Texans may be many things, but stupid isn't one of them. For them to seize the base puts them into a war with the Empire which makes them more vulnerable to attacks from the Amazons while cutting all supply lines from the Empire. Taking over the base to get the technology there is a losing proposition. Similarly, attacking the base as a false flag weakens the Empyreal forces which will make it easier for the Amazons to press their attacks.

The opposite argument is that this is the opening salvo by the Amazons to neutralize the Empire on New Texas and the rest of the NCS. The Amazons are facing more resistance from the New Texans than they ever expected and are taking over the planet and system as quickly as they would like; in fact the resistance is getting worse and more costly to the Amazons. Given that Emily Calisto is aware that the Strike Eagle makes her aircraft obsolete and vulnerable while their intelligence network is gone so she can't get updates on the progress of the fighter development is enough to send her over the edge and order the attack. When you add her rage and desire for revenge against Sylvester Cole and Tessa (I wonder if her intelligence network was available to identify Tessa to her before they went down), that is icing on the cake- revenge served with the theft of advanced military technology.

This attack reminds me a little of Pearl Harbor. The Japanese, for all the destruction they caused, failed to attack and sink the aircraft carriers because they weren't in port and that cost them dearly. The Amazons (my money is on them) left advanced aircraft and the resources to build more intact and that will be their undoing. They will not be able to take the base and seize the technology and will wind up in open conflict with the Empire.

And now I just have to wait somewhere between seven and eight days to find out what happens next- either the battle continues or more intrigue and interlude. Tick, tick, tick...

You forgot to mention

You forgot to mention that we don’t know if more Claymores are on the production schedule and if Chief Daily will immediately arm the other Claymore?

Above all else, we still don’t know what Maiha got rolling?

I want to give a a snarky

I want to give a a snarky response but instead I'll just tell you to reread the first four chapters then reread Chapter 6 about the plane. There won't be any more like it, those two are one of a kind planes for a reason.

I'm told STFU more times in a day than most people get told in a lifetime

The Japanese pilots also

The Japanese pilots also failed to take out the fuel tanks and the fuel dumps surrounding the area attacked; as well as not taking out ammunition dumps. That allowed the US Navy and other forces to stay armed, and to have the fuel needed to move ships and planes as they became available by either repair or replacement.

"The Silver Eyed Witch.”

we'll have to see how she does in real combat.

DogSig.png

Really enjoying this

Rebecca Jane's picture

This has become one of my must reads, I'm really enjoying the story. I'm also enjoying the tribute to the warplanes. Jess you must have been around aviation at some point in your life. You're descriptions of things like her walk around and the remove before flight streamers, to just name a few, strike me as something you are familiar with... It could be just me reading too much into it, but I'm an aviation buff on top of an A&P mechanic (for almost 30 years now... I hate saying it that way, it makes me sound old or something...)

Seriously waiting anxiously for the next installment.
Becca C.

I know I’m weird. The fact that I’m trans is probably one of the more normal things about me.

My husband of 20 yrs

wolfjess7's picture

My husband of more than 20 yrs now is a retired US Air Force Colonel. He was the one to give me the needed background for ALL aviation references.

May the peace and happiness of the Goddess keep and protect you
as always your humble outlaw
Jessie Wolf

Very cool. Definitely explains the accuracies :)

Rebecca Jane's picture

Tell your husband thank you. I'm prior Navy, but I did spend 13 years working a civilian air force contract maintaining a fleet of T-1A Jayhawks. I spent several years around the Air Force. Overall I'm approaching my 28th year in aviation, for some reason I still love what I do lol. Thank you so much for the story, and love seeing all the references used using something I am passionate about.

Becca C.

I know I’m weird. The fact that I’m trans is probably one of the more normal things about me.

Missing defenses?

I mean, no AI guided hyper aegis or patriotic missile based anti-missile ground defenses?

No AI satellite top surveillance using quantum and conventional radar, electro-optical?

Planes don’t carry AIM120s for long range standoff?

Big boo boo

Jamie Lee's picture

Someone made a big mistake attacking those bases, one that will eventually bite them in the butt.

Stir up a hornets nest or ant nest and things can get really hairyou really quick. This is what the attackers have done, they've stirred up a group of people who are now out for blood and doing so with a vengence.

Terresa nows gets the chance to finally fly a plane which may be able to more than withstand Terresa's flying abilities. And whoa to any who try and deal with her when she gets to the main base.

Others have feelings too.