My UEI (Unknown Entity Intervention) Chapter 9

Printer-friendly version

Chapter 9

Gem had hired a car so we drove to the police station using the GPS. I stuck close to her side which seemed to help me with my anxiety. They led us to a room and brought out my family suitcases and boxes filled with all our stuff. Gem suggested that I fill the suitcases with all my clothes and everything of my parents apart from their clothes, which would be donated or discarded. She needed to fill out some paperwork so I was left to my own devices. Since there was no one else in the room I was fine with that.

Fortunately, my laptop was with my other possessions and not considered Dillan's. I threw away all Amy and Peter's clothes and added all the skiing gear that Richard had chosen for this body, so I was left with only those clothes that I had bought with Amy on our shopping trip. I started with Amy's and Peter's items so I was still going through mine when Gem returned. Emotionally, I felt OK until I picked the nightie that Amy had bought for me. I had been wearing my PJ's when I was taken to hospital and I have no idea what happened to them, and I had in front of me the matching nightie. Even if my PJ's had been recovered I don't think I could have worn them without thinking of the night I was attacked. The nightie, on the other hand, reminded me of my shopping trip and Amy's attempts to encourage me in a more feminine direction.

“I'm surprised to see that in your collection.” Gem remarked. Since it was baby pink with red hearts all over it and a nightie, I don't think you could get more girly, so I could see her point.

“After I had announced my decision, almost before I had finished, Amy had planned a shopping trip, including a luxury spa hotel and amazing massages. I made the decision to be less resistant and be as honest as I could with what I liked. I loved the luxurious softness of this but prefered the PJ set. Amy insisted on buying the nightie in case I changed my mind. It was one of many times on that trip that she tried to gently push my boundaries and get me to accept a more feminine identity.”

By this point a few tears were tracking down my face. Gem didn't say anything, just gathered me up in her arms and waited until I was ready to continue. I finished packing everything after fishing out something to change into. I went to the ladies to get into my own clothes and packed the ones I had borrowed to give back to her later. She checked that I didn't need any food or drink, then we left. Driving away I felt I was leaving my old life behind me. In some ways it was very cleansing, but it was also sad.

The journey was initially sombre, neither of us knowing each other and both of us having recently lost a lot, but after half an hour where we were both deep in our own thoughts, Gem tried to liven it up a bit. She turned the radio on and tried to get me to sing along to any songs that I knew. The radio was pretty bad, so we switched to her iphone play list.

I had never sang in this body, so it was interesting listening to my own voice and playing with it a little. A song by Eve came on. Eve was an amazing singer who had reached massive fame in recent years and was famous enough that everyone only used her first name. I didn't even know her surname. She had a real mix of songs from rock, pop to ballad. Most of her songs were really positive and I liked listening to something upbeat. This song was one of her more famous ones and I knew the words so I gave it my best rendition.

“So you like Eve then?” Gem asked me.

“What is not to like? She has a great voice and great happy songs.”

“Is that the reason for the haircut?”

“What?” Then I realised I had a very similar hairstyle to Eve. She kept the sides cut very short and brushed the middle back into a pony tail. “Oh not really. Before my change of heart, I kept my hair really short. When we went to the hair dresser, she thought this would be the best option for a more feminine cut. You are right though. It was probably because Eve has made the style popular.”

“Would you like to meet her?” Gem continued.

“I am not a crazy teenager fan type person. I just enjoy her music. I have not been to any of her concerts but I have only heard great things. She seems to go all out to give a good show. On interviews she sounds interesting and funny, but I don't know how that would translate to real life.”

“I wasn't asking hypothetically. I hope you are saying yes, since she has asked to meet you.” Gem was smiling at me.

“Seriously?”

“She is the bride that I am working with at the moment. I had to explain why I wasn't going to be around for few days. I think she was curious about a girl wanting to be a boy and I am sorry that I told her that, but she didn't understand why it had to be me, rather than closer family.”

I didn't really read the gossip mags, but Jen sometimes did, especially when travelling. I remembered there was something about her getting married, but I couldn't recall the details.

“Wow. I hope I am not going to be a disappointment since I have changed my mind.”

“Don't worry about it. In my business I have met some real Prima Donnas, but Eve is really down to earth. You'll like her. I think she will get a kick out of your hairstyle. If you want I can get some hair dye and we can colour the centre purple, then you will really match.”

“No thank you. I'm good. Umm..I don't know much about her. Could you fill me in, so I don't embarrass myself.”

“Most of what they print is all rubbish anyway. What do you want to know?” Gem asked.

“Well, who is she marrying, to start with.”

Gem laughed. “You really don't follow showbiz, do you. I would have thought the whole world knew by now. Laura Kind.”

“That name does sound familiar.”

“You don't know who she is either do you?” Gem said still chuckling.

“Hell, I didn't even know Eve was a lesbian.”

“She considers herself as bisexual as does Laura. Laura is a movie star actress. I've not seen much of her since she is on a shoot in Mexico that has gone on longer than expected. What else can I tell you? The wedding is in two months, then they are having a month long honeymoon to an undisclosed location or locations. Eve has a world tour, starting in the summer and is taking Laura with her.”

“Your job is amazing.”

“It certainly can be. Look, I have to admit something and I don't want you to take this the wrong way. I have been with my company for almost ten years and have had a blast. This is the last wedding that I am doing. Eve is pretty upset with the company and I figured she may well tell you, so …. Now this is not your fault in any way.... ”

“But.....” I prompted.

“They fired me when I told them I needed to take a few days off to come and pick you up. To be fair, this is the biggest job, biggest wedding and we are in the end stages, so leaving right now was not ideal. But you come first. Eve agreed with me and has even changed some appointments to wait for me to return. She has been fantastic, she has even offered me a job, but hasn't worked out what she wants me to do. I don't think I can take it anyway. We need to get you settled in and stable.”

“Are you kidding me? This could be an adventure of a lifetime. If she offers a job that would make you happy, you should definitely take it. Don't worry about me, I will fit in somehow. I'm sorry about your job, but I believe, everything happens for a reason and the end result will make it all worth it. I could feel guilty for you making a sacrifice to come and get me, but, to be honest, I don't want you working for a company that treats anyone that way. You are welcome to whatever money comes my way from my inheritance.”

“You don't need to give me your money. I have enough for quite a while and I will find another job, whether that is with Eve or something else. It does mean that the next couple of months are going to be hectic and I am not sure how that is going to work out with your schooling.”

“I can be pretty independent. You won't need to worry about me.” Then I remembered that I had been clinging on to her since she had arrived, almost frightened by my own shadow. So maybe not as independent as I had been previously. Still, I wasn't going to take it back. I would not disrupt her life any further.

“You come first.” Gem repeated. Then she turned the music back on and we tried to get back into a more positive frame of mind.

up
149 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Jem seems like a wonderful person

She might even be open minded enough for Sophia to explain to her about the mind swap once she gets to know her better. I would think she might need someone to confide in for her sanity.

Loose Ends

terrynaut's picture

Hiya!

I'm enjoying the story but I'm wondering about a couple of things. I don't remember seeing Sophia contacting Jen and telling her about all that's happened. Jen would surely know about Richard committing suicide but I can see her being worried about Sophia. I'm also wondering about Sophia's website job and how she'll be able to do anything once she goes home with Gem. This almost seems like two different stories. Sophia's life is diverging wildly.

I'll try be patient as more chapters come out. I'm not going away.

Thanks and kudos (number 31).

- Terry

She hasn't had a chance yet.

WillowD's picture

While she was at the hospital she had no access to a phone or a computer to communicate with. Then her aunt shows up, they go straight to the police station and then straight to travelling. It was mentioned earlier that she was trying to contact Jen from the hospital and couldn't.

Future plans

My5InchFMHeels's picture

Gem and Sophia aren't likely to worry much.... Sounds like Eve needs (or at least wants) to make sure Gem is set, Sophia could actually test out of GCSEs, and probably not far from testing for As either... might be something to do before leaving England. That would allow Sophia to work on the web based business with a High School education. Not to mention, the eBusiness that Dillan had can be done from L.A... so it's just a matter of doing it all in Sophia's name... possibly still working with Jen's mom.... it'd have to be figured out though.

I noticed that Sophia referred to Amy by her name, it makes me wonder if that's not going through Gem's mind, and Gem is planning on finding out more later?

Ah, drat.

WillowD's picture

I was going to say a lot of this stuff. But you not only said it first, but you said it better.

There are a lot of possibilities of where this story could go from this point. The one I am most favoring at the moment is that Sophia test out and graduate from high school and then continue running her web business from anywhere. I also think it's possible that the two of them wind up as part of the singers entourage and that Sophia winds up singing professionally as well.

FTM...

I'm intrigued to see how the meeting with Eve will go given the switch. I (FTM myself) am pleasantly surprised to say that I am not upset by the FTM character meeting an untimely demise. You managed to make the teenager angst, immaturity and quick slide into drug use, etc seem the cause and not the gender issues of which I am so grateful because I am enjoying this story a LOT.

Kudos! Can't wait to see what happens next.

Gosh darnnit!!

I didn't give this chapter a thumbs up on 1st read...mm mighta skipped this chapter somehow... .

alissa