My UEI (Unknown Entity Intervention) Chapter 15

Printer-friendly version

Chapter 15 Sophia's POV

I woke up with Gem spooning me comfortingly. I had another wake in the middle of the night screaming episodes. Gem had done a wonderful job of calming me down, but she needed her sleep and it wasn't fair for me to keep interrupting it. I was thinking of offering to sleep on the sofa, but the flat was so small, I would only be a couple of metres away and I'm sure you would need to be in another country to not hear my screams.

I slipped off to the bathroom, trying to make as little noise as possible. After my morning ablutions I settled on the sofa with my laptop. I didn't know if Gem had any internet service, but when I searched, I found an open connection. I sorted out a new facebook page, used the camera on the laptop for my image and sent a private message to Jen as well as an email so she would know it was me. Fortunately, she was awake and we had a silent instant message conversation. Knowing that I wanted to know that my parents were doing alright, she included talking about the people that she lived with that had recently lost a son and how well they were coping.

After that my stomach led me to search the small kitchen area for food. The bread looked like it was mouldy and the salad less than fresh, however, the milk was still in date and there was cereal in the cupboard. I also set up a coffee percolator so that Gem was would have something nice to wake up to. While I was doing that, the shower went on so I didn't have to worry about waking Gem up anymore.

I had a shower after her and we both got ourselves ready for the day. We sat on the sofa, Gem sipping her coffee and me a glass of milk.

“We need to talk.” Gem said. I looked at her, asking with my eyes for her to continue. “If I do this wedding, it is going to be taking up a huge amount of my time. You really need someone to be there for you, so I think I should find someone else to take it over.”

“Actually, Eve spoke to me yesterday, almost predicting what you would do after realising how much work was involved. She wanted to know whether she was doing the right thing in asking you. I may have a few little issues relating to my attack.” I said, remembering last night. “But, I am quite mature for my age and this is an opportunity of a lifetime. If you don't do it, you will regret it and I will feel guilty for being the reason. It is only for two months, besides, I like Eve and I wouldn't trust her happiness in someone else's hands.”

“You like Eve?” Gem asked me.

“Yes. She's wild, untamed and a lot of fun. She pushed me yesterday completely out of my comfort zone, but it felt surprisingly exciting.” I replied with a smile. I was telling the truth, a truth that I hadn't really considered until I was saying it out loud.

“How did she push you out of your comfort zone?”

“She got me to sing one of her songs while she was playing the piano. Then I did a gym session in a bikini. How can I wear two pieces of clothing and yet feel more naked than when I used to wear one?”

Gem just laughed. “Are you sure you are OK with this?”

“Absolutely. I will not complain that you are not spending enough time with me or that you should be looking after me. I am old enough to look after myself.”

Gem phoned Lisa to organise a limo to pick her up. Our plan was that I would stay at the flat and place an order for food or get a pizza delivery. Gem left me her credit card and some cash. Gem got a text back from Lisa that Soph needed to remember her workout clothes and bathing suit, which changed our plans.

“Is this normal?” I asked Gem as I organised a bag with clothes in it. I didn't have a workout kit, but I figured a sports bra and leggings would do.

“Is what normal?”

“You know, hanging out with Eve while you are doing your work.” I replied.

She scratched her head a bit puzzled herself. “I don't really know. I have spent a lot of time with both Eve and Laura over the past year. Usually going out to lunches with them, or accompanying them to various locations and I feel like we have got on really well, but I have never done a workout with them, or had a swim. I will say this though. Eve does what she wants to do. If she is hanging out with you, it is because she wants to. She is not really bothered by the details of the wedding. She leaves that to Laura. I would still take your laptop. I think she is busy with her music until lunchtime.”

The limo took us back to the house. Lisa hustled Gem away, so I wandered to the waiting area I had been in previously. There was a buzzer on the wall that Maria, the housekeeper, told us to press if we wanted anything to eat or drink and I was still hungry. Maria set up some sandwiches and water for me, which I nibbled on while I started to do some business work on my laptop.

Eve did her usual enter the room with energy and loudness.“How do you fancy a singing lesson? I've finished with my voice coach and she said she has time to fit you in.”

I locked my screen and closed my laptop. “Sure, that sounds like fun.” I replied and was then chasing after her. She was walking and I was running to keep pace. I thought she was going to lead me back to the stage, but, instead, she took me to a soundproof recording studio and then left me in the hands of this rather large lady, dressed very prim and proper called Danica. I spent almost an hour with her, mainly working on my breathing. Despite that I was really tired by the end of it.

At the end of it, I thanked her for her instruction. She gave me her first smile and thanked me for trying my best and not being a spoilt brat. She then informed me that she would expect me to arrive on time at ten am every weekday morning at the recording booth. I didn't know what to say to that, so I told her I would do my best. I headed back to the waiting area and back to my laptop. Maria came and got me so that we could all have lunch together.

The house had a very interesting set up. It was huge with far too many rooms, but one area had been set aside like a mini house within a house. It was not part of the tour that Maria had given us earlier and I suspect most are not allowed into this inner sanctum. I wasn't shown around and didn't see much, but there was clearly a small kitchen and dining room as that was where we had lunch. Within view I could see a very lived in lounge and a corridor which I presumed, led to bedrooms and bathrooms.

Lunch was a simple pasta dish, but it tasted like I had been to a proper Italian restaurant. Maria then shooed us out so that she could clean up. Lisa and Gem went in one direction and Eve took me off to the lounge.

“So, how did you find Danica?” She asked me.

“Good, but weird. I mean how can breathing be so tiring? Ummm...why did she tell me to see her again tomorrow?”

“A couple of reasons. I think you have a decent voice and with a bit of coaching could be a pretty good singer. I know that you are not going to school at the moment and your main guardian I am keeping so busy that she doesn't have time for you. Besides that, Danica is here every morning at nine am for my lessons. There is one other reason that will only work out if the stars align, so I will keep that one as a surprise.”

“I don't mean to sound ungrateful, but why me? You are a superstar, literally a superstar. I love spending time with you, somehow you seem to inject me with some of your enthusiasm for life and it feels great, but...”

She was shaking her head with a look of wonder, holding up one finger to stop me talking. “Wait one second and I will tell you.” And she was off, like a race horse that had heard the gun, she leap up off the lounge and ran out the room.

I started giggling. I am not used to giggling, but I couldn't help myself, the situation felt so bizarre. I think I was still smiling when she came back, notepad out, face down, writing something and somehow navigating through the house back to her private lounge.

“Done.” She said, putting the notepad down. “This is why.” Eve said pointing at the notepad, like that answered anything.

“Huh?” I said confusedly.

“How should I put this? You know I write my own songs, don't you?” I nodded. “I am not someone who is always filled with inspiration. For whatever reason, I seem to need something to help trigger my creativity. I am enjoying spending time with you, you don't act at all like I expected a teenager to act. Besides enjoying your company, you seem to give me ideas for songs and that is priceless. I intend to help you out as much as I can and when I can, do things with you. Think of it this way. You have not asked me for so much as an autograph. Gem has not asked me to look after you. Anything I do, I do because I want to.”

What do you say to that? “Umm...OK?”

“That's the spirit. Now the plan for today is gym at three pm with Jane, followed by a relax in the hot tub. Then I am sending everybody out of the house at five since Laura is due back and I want some quality time with her. Tomorrow morning I expect you to be here for breakfast at eight, so I can introduce you to Laura.”

up
151 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Lucky Star

terrynaut's picture

I'm still here, enjoying this story.

Soph is so lucky. I like how Eve keeps pushing Soph over the borderline, and it's nice how Soph isn't a material girl.

I better stop now before I go too far. You know. Gotta stay out of trouble, like a virgin. Hee hee.

Thanks and kudos (number 18).

- Terry

2000 Words

My5InchFMHeels's picture

I remember getting homework assignments of 1000 and 2000 words required.... I was thinking... Gawd that's so much! Until stories like this that just draw you in, 5000 words is hardly enough it seems, I'll gladly take the 1788 that are available!

I fully agree

WillowD's picture

One of my friends is a published writer. She is so incredibly proud of herself when she gets 2000 words written in one day. (This is before editing.) I have another friend that casually writes 6000 to 8000 words in a couple of hours.

And then there is me. I thought nothing of writing several thousand words in a school essay. I find writing technical manuals to be a breeze. But to write a piece of fiction? Where the characters have believable backgrounds, motives and personalities? Where the conversation flows and sounds real? Those are mysterious black arts that only those gifted by the gods (who then put the time and effort into developing those gifts) can do.

Why do I get the feeling the stars will align?

WillowD's picture

"There is one other reason that will only work out if the stars align"

I figured that once Soph became Eve's muse that Soph wasn't going to become a performing singer as I originally expected. Now I'm thinking she will after all.

I eagerly await the next chapter. Thank you.

I'm suprised at some things

One, that Sophia is not more upset over being isolated from Jen and the parents that raised him. Two, that Gem and Laura don't seem to know that Richard's parents were murdered recently, and she almost was too. Three, I suppose what is happening seems wonderful in a way, but I would think Sophia needs some time to grieve over loss of self, Jen, and actually both sets of parents, not to mention she is in a foreign land.