Ginny's Story Chapter 69

Printer-friendly version

Author: 

Audience Rating: 

Publication: 

Genre: 

Character Age: 

Permission: 

strong>

Ellen and <Jinny.jpg
Wendy 1.jpg

Ginny's Story

A novel by Karen Lockhart

Copyright© 2018 Karen Lockhart
All Rights Reserved.


 


It's funny how things happen


CHAPTER 69

They weren't kidding, Saturday was a madhouse, I never saw so many people at the club. We could have used more waitresses!

Those poor girls were almost running back and forth from the tables to the bar. People were two deep at the bar, the three of us constantly busy, so busy, I never had a chance to gab with Hiram and Cathy.

I will say that I saw more people dressed as maids, and school girls than I ever saw before. Halloween was definitely around the corner!

I never looked forward to my break like this before, even though we decided to only take ten minutes each.

But the tips! Our electronic 'tip jar' was chattering like the ticker at the stock exchange. Bobbi said she wouldn't be surprised if we received $1000 in tips each!

I must say, I was looking forward to having Sunday and Monday off. Two whole days not wearing 4” heels, imagine! My Achilles tendons would stretch out so I could walk barefoot without pain again.

Things slowed down about 1 AM. I looked to my right and saw Hiram waving to me. Heading down there, I first made a Cosmopolitan and drew a draft Pabst Blue Ribbon for Cathy.

I got a peck on the cheek from Hiram and a “thank you” from Cathy.

“So, Ginny are you still coming dressed as a Construction worker?” Hiram asked.

“Only if Cathy is coming as a baseball catcher, and you're still coming as a naval officer,” I responded.

Cathy laughed, “I already borrowed an old set of gear from our catcher. He kept hinting for an invite to the party, but I decided he just wouldn't understand. Also, I was worried he'd make a pass at that waitress with the 38DD bust!”

That broke Hiram and I up, imagining his disappointment when hearing her voice was deeper than his was.

“Are Bobbi and Chris still wearing costumes?” asked Cathy.

“Bobbi is coming as an Indian Chief, and Chris dug up her brother's old police uniform.” I paused, “ Hey, can we play a CD of the Village People in the background?”

“Damn right we can,” said Hiram, “After all, I'm the naval officer guy, and I own the place after all.”

The last call played. It couldn't come soon enough.

Jean and I waited by Ariana's car, so arrangements could be made for Sunday's meeting with Wendy and Ellen. It was obvious she was really looking forward to it. The kid was bouncing up and down with anticipation!

“Ariana, Wendy is going to love you. She will be so happy to have someone more her age and history to talk to. She's stuck with me and Ellen all the time.”

“I hope so,” she said, I don't have any friends myself, what with me being a boy and all.”

“Stop that kiddo, you are as much a woman as anyone. You must think that all the time, I only see a delightful, pretty girl, who can sing like your namesake. Here's my cell number, call me around ten in the morning, I'll give you directions.”

We swapped 'good nights' and drove out of the parking lot. In just thirty minutes Jean dropped me off at the condo at last!

In spite of Ellen and Wendy's best efforts, I awoke about 9 AM. The smell of fresh coffee and bacon made up for my early wake-up.

I was finishing my toast when the cell rang. The caller ID was blank so I assumed it was Ariana. I gave her directions and with Wendy yanking on my sleeve, I gave up the phone.

She quickly introduced herself and asked what Ariana was wearing, stating she would find something like it.

Ellen and I were chuckling, listening to the chatter.

“I guess our tomboy is coming out of her shell. Imagine, Wendy wanting to wear a nice dress on a Sunday! There's hope for her yet.”

“Here Auntie, thanks for the phone,” Wendy said as she headed for her closet and my bedroom to get changed.
Ellen and I chatted about Halloween until we heard a car pull up outside. Looking past the drapes, I saw Ariana's Taurus in the driveway parked next to the little red car Jean gave to Wendy.

When the doorbell rang, I beat Ellen to the draw, welcoming Ariana inside. Before I was done introducing Ellen, Wendy came flying around the corner.

She skidded to a stop beside me and asked, “Are you Ariana? I'm Wendy.”

So much for introductions.

Ellen asked if she wanted tea or coffee, but Ariana politely refused, asking instead if we had diet Coke.

Wendy grabbed her sleeve, dragging her into the kitchen, getting two sodas from the refrigerator.

Ellen and I left them to their gossip. In fifteen minutes, Wendy had dragged Ariana to her closet showing her some of her cute, but not as yet worn outfits.

Ellen laughed at my costume and the choices the gang at the Club were going to wear. When I mentioned the Village People CD, she broke out laughing.

“I hope everyone there is over fifty, otherwise the joke will be lost to them. YMCA!” she snorted.

“So what are you wearing Ellen?”

“Believe it or not, I found a tiger stripe catsuit, I'm going to be Terri the tiger, I even have a tiny red polka dot bikini to wear over it. This way I'll look like a stripper!”

I gasped, choking on my coffee. “Does Jean know?”

“No, I want to surprise her”, Ellen said, “I want a photo of her face when she sees me.”

“This will be quite a Halloween; where's the party again? I want to make sure Jean will be there.” I said.

“The party is at the function hall at the Porthole restaurant in Lynn on Monday. I have four tickets, you, me, Pete, and I got one for Kevin too. But I guess that's over, so I have a ticket for Jean, she doesn't need a costume.”

I started laughing, “what if she comes as herself? You know, as Terri. Then there would be two of you.”

Well, Ellen thought that would be precious.

Ariana came over to me, “Would it be okay if Wendy and I went shopping? I came here as your guest, and I feel funny leaving.”

“Heck no, honey, the idea was to have you two meet and get to know one another. It's worked, hasn't it?”

The two kids headed for the Marshals' in the Swampscott mall, leaving Ellen and me to relax with a pizza and the Celtics' basketball game.

“Ellen, since I have tomorrow off, I'm planning to take Wendy for her driver's road test. When do we have to be at the RMV office?” I asked.

“Her appointment is at 9 AM, you pick up an examiner and drive to the new MBTA garage at Wonderland. More than that, I don't know, Ginny.”

“Knowing Wendy, she probably knows the examiner's name.”

We both laughed over that.

“Shoot, I have to call Jean and tell her about the party!”

“While you're at it, talk her into coming as Terri the Tiger,” Ellen called.

Jean was tickled to have a ticket to a Halloween party, but it took some persuading to have her come as her alter ego. I finally looked over at Ellen and gave her a thumb's up.

Ellen silently cheered the news.

Before the basketball game was over, Ariana called, saying she and Wendy were in front of a Chinese restaurant and was there anything Ellen and I didn't like.

When I said she and I would eat the carton, Ariana laughed, and said great, she would pick up 8 large cartons for us, on her.

Wendy and Ariana showed up in a half hour with two large bags. The aroma started my mouth watering.

“Water's hot. Who wants tea?” Ellen called, “We have Red Rose and Oolong teas. Who wants what?”

I got plates, silverware and serving spoons while the kids took enough food out of the bags to feed a football team.

While we ate I asked Wendy about the driver's test tomorrow. As I thought she not only knew the time and location, but also the examiner's name.

We would leave at 8 AM to give us time; much better to be early than late and possibly lose our appointment time.

Ariana left for home at 10 PM. She and Wendy swapped phone numbers and promised to call each other after Wendy's road test.

We turned out the lights after watching the early news and went to sleep. I think Wendy was wide awake after the excitement of shopping with a new friend and being nervous about her test tomorrow.

We picked up the road test examiner and drove to the parking garage. I swapped seats with Wendy getting in the back seat of the Honda. Wendy was directed to the top deck where cones were set up in patterns.

At the tester's direction, she maneuvered around the course, not touching a cone.

With a big smile, the examiner signed her temporary license and called her a 007.

That went over our heads until he explained as we dropped him off, “Like James Bond, you are now licensed to kill.”

Wendy and I thought that joke was in bad taste but smiled anyway. She couldn't wait to call Ariana and give her the good news.

Many thanks to Bronwen Welsh, without her encouragement and assistance in correcting errors, this story wouldn't exist.


Special thanks to Tanya Allen for allowing me to use her book The Candy Cane Club in my story.

up
157 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Ginnys story

Sounds like quite a party coming up. You need to put up a picture for Jeans Terri the Tiger again, I keep trying to visualise her and I don't feel I'm doing her justice.

Time is the longest distance to your destination.

Nice

littlerocksilver's picture

A pleasant temporizing chapter. They're in trouble now. Wendy is behind the wheel.

Portia

Cathy makes me think of the

Cathy makes me think of the 90s Red Sox and the Glass Slipper and Foxy Lady...somehow I don't think all of them went to those clubs and the guys were good at keeping just where some really meant a secret :D

I'm told STFU more times in a day than most people get told in a lifetime

Still Is. As well as Brockton

Still Is. As well as Brockton, but it was the Providence one that got all the attention 20 years ago...it's what made me snicker at Cathy as she brought back memories of the team's "fun" at the clubs getting attention and maybe sparking their long forgotten run to the playoffs that year.

I'm told STFU more times in a day than most people get told in a lifetime

Another good chapter

Still following with interest.

Thanks, iI was worried I was

Thanks, iI was worried I was boring everyone. Hope you like Chapter 70.

Bad Taste Joke

joannebarbarella's picture

I agree. Actually this licence is to NOT kill.

FWIW...

...I was thinking the same thing...

This party is going

Samantha Heart's picture

To be "GRRRRRATE" (To quote another famous animated tiger) 2 Terri the Tigers lol one orginal tattooed tiger the other a fake lol. I SHOULD HAVE KNOW lol you WOULD do the whole YMCA village people gag lol.

Love Samantha Renée Heart.

IN THE NAVY

IN THE NAVY

Day after

Jamie Lee's picture

Oh boy, two potentially very interesting events are about to take place, Wendy behind the wheel of a car and how everyone feels after the big Halloween party.

And perhaps what happens at the party should stay there.

Others have feelings too.