What Milsy Did -29-

Printer-friendly version

Milsy meets Garia again and learns what happened during the Battle of the Highway. The following day the palace is thrown into confusion by outside events, and Milsy finds herself showing an awed Senidet around her domain.

grakh on parch

What Milsy Did

by Penny Lane

29 - Descriptions and Surprises


Disclaimer: The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended. This story is copyright (c) 2018 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.



Milsy held up the leather jacket and cautiously sniffed it.

"What do you think? I hadn't realized that it had gotten so smelly. Have you smelled your own suit this morning?"

Bursila replied, "I have not, Mistress, but I have no doubt that it will be in the same condition that yours is. How shall they be cleaned? I cannot imagine they could be put in the palace laundry, as our other attire is."

"No, you're right," Milsy mused. "We're going to have to talk to the saddlers, or the cobbler or someone like that." She turned the jacket over and over, looking for stains or damage. "It is just the smell, I deem, from when the gas holder caught fire."

Their day at the coke works had been inadvertently extended when the gas holder behind the oven had filled too quickly, split and then promptly caught fire. The attentions of everyone had been required to subdue the blaze and prevent it from spreading to the other holders, or to raw materials nearby.

Milsy thought. "I seem to remember, in the castle, there was a paste we used to remove stains from the carpets and flagstones. I wonder if that would be sufficient?"

"I know of what you speak, Mistress, but I do not know if the palace uses such materials or if they have other ideas." Bursila switched to more immediate concerns. "If you may not wear your suit today, what shall you choose?"

"Well, that's an interesting question, Bursila. Garia and the Prince have returned and I have no idea what is going to happen for the next few days. Thinking about it, I don't know what will happen to us, either. With Garia's return my original reason to be in the palace has surely ended, I deem. Let's see. I'll wager that everybody will want to know what happened during the battle, won't they? Do you think we can manage to be around when that happens?"

The maid was doubtful. "Perhaps, Mistress. I would not rely on that, though. There are so many new faces returned from the north that some effort will be made to prevent the whole palace inviting themselves."

"As you say! But, Bursila, Garia herself invited us to the debrief when we met last night. I understand that the King may have other ideas, but I must assume that I can go. Hmm." Milsy's face wrinkled as she regarded the contents of her hangers. "I'm not sure much of what is in here is suitable, should we have to go to the training halls. If I wear most of these, I might give the wrong impression." Her expression brightened as she noticed a garment on the end hanger. She handed the leather jacket to Bursila and pulled out her one set of exercise attire. "How about this? I didn't wear it that much when Garia was away because I couldn't do any of the exercises she did. But it might be the right thing if we are permitted to go down to the training halls this morning."

Bursila was even more doubtful, but could see Milsy's logic. "As you say, Mistress. If you are to venture into those parts, mayhap, it would be more suitable than a day gown."

Milsy looked at Bursila's expression. "But..?"

"You may not be invited, and then you must needs come back here to change."

Milsy shrugged. "It is worth the risk, I deem. Come on, let's get dressed, I think that people are already beginning to arrive for breakfast."

When Milsy entered the Family Dining Room she noticed Garia, Merizel, Jenet, another girl and two palace maids clustered near one of the newly-glazed courtyard doors. As she walked over to join them she caught the end of Garia's words.

"What a difference this is going to make! Do you think they'll change all the glass in the palace?"

"I don't think so, Garia," Milsy joined the conversation. The group turned to face the speaker.

"Milsy! Good morning."

Milsy curtseyed to Garia, noticing that both had chosen almost identical clothing this morning. Merizel came straight to Bursila and hugged her.

"I'm glad to see you're all right," Merizel said. "Milsy keeping you busy?"

"Very much so, Milady. I am pleased to see that you are unharmed by what happened recently."

Merizel looked a question at Milsy and received a nod. She led Bursila away and the two began a quiet talk. Milsy continued her remark to Garia.

"The glass. If they changed every window in the palace, at the present rate, they have estimated it would take around three years, and that is with the glass works making panes for nobody else at all. Several have protested that, while the extra light is beneficial, changing all the glass risks losing much of what gives the character of the building. What do you think?"

Garia nodded. "They may be right, specially since parts of this building have to be very old. This is a controversy which happens on Earth as well, where old buildings are concerned. Do you improve them all the time as technology or fashion changes or do you preserve them as they were at some point in the past? There are arguments both ways."

"Fortunately I don't have to make that decision, but I would like some extra light in the laboratory, specially at this time of year."

"Oh yes, you mentioned you've moved in there, didn't you?"

"Don't look so alarmed, Garia. I haven't disturbed anything. I'm just using the living quarters and the two benches you cleared at the end of the laboratory. I've stayed clear of the rest and I took just one look in the study and backed away again."

"A good idea! You've obviously been busy since we last met." Garia looked at Milsy speculatively. "We must arrange a good, long, chat." She smirked. "After I've paid a visit to Rosilda, of course."

Robanar and Terys arrived and behind them, Eriana and Gullbrand. Everybody bowed and curtseyed. Robanar went off to speak to Merek, with Eriana trailing, while Terys headed for the group.

"Garia, my dear. You look refreshed today, good. Good morning, Milsy. And to you, Merizel. Ah, of course, Bursila was your maid, wasn't she? Are you content to permit Milsy to make use of her? I have heard that she has gained knowledge of some of the strange new arts which Milsy practices."

"Your Majesty, I am content," Merizel replied. "We will always remain friends and, should circumstances change, I will welcome her back to my service with pleasure. I have asked Kendar to assign me another maid, here she is."

"You are..?"

"Tandra, Your Majesty."

"Ah, yes. You're the daughter of one of our guardsmen, aren't you? I must warn you that service to Lady Merizel and Lady Garia could be somewhat different than your previous service."

"Lady Merizel explained that to me, Ma'am. I know of Lady Garia's activities before she went north and I am ready for the challenge."

Terys nodded. "Good." She turned to Senidet. "My dear, we have not been introduced."

Senidet curtseyed again. "Your Majesty, I am Senidet, daughter to Brydas, the smith of Blackstone."

"Ah, yes. Garia spoke of you yesterday eve, I regret we did not meet you then. You are welcome in our home, my dear. Shall you then become a smith like your father?"

"Ma'am, I do not know what I may be able to do, but I have not the build for smithing. Lady Garia says I have other talents which will be of use to Palarand in the future."

"I see. I assume you will be with Garia or Milsy during your days, then?"

"Ma'am, I have only today met Mistress Milsy. I do not know what lies in the future."

"Nor do any of us, my dear." Terys turned to Senidet's maid. "Molleena. You are well-known to us, but serving Mistress Senidet may require more self control than you presently practice. Do I make myself clear?"

Molleena curtseyed. "As you command, Ma'am."

"Good. Come, let us be seated, our food awaits and the smell has awakened my appetite."

Garia and Merizel followed the Queen to the center table, as was expected. Suddenly left to her own devices, Milsy spotted Gullbrand heading for a seat and went to join him.

"Good morrow, Mistress Milsy."

"Good morning, Master Gullbrand. How is Her Highness this morning? Has she met Prince Keren yet?"

"Aye, Mistress, at the banquet yesterday eve which the King held to celebrate their return... although, after the recent battle, perhaps celebrate is not the word I should have chosen."

"Oh, of course. As you know, I had to go out yesterday. Can you tell me what happened then?"

"After the meal, she joined the Prince and... Lady Garia? Aye? ...in the King's Parlor, doubtless for some more intimate conversation." Gullbrand nodded in Keren's direction. "He is younger than I expected, but seems to me to be a well brought up young man. I can see why the battle was won."

"Actually, Master Gullbrand, I believe that was the third battle His Highness and Lady Garia have faced while they were away. I do not know the details of the other incidents but it seems they know what they are doing."

"They?" Gullbrand's eyebrows rose. "Do you tell me she fights as well?"

Milsy shrugged. "I have not seen her either exercise or fight, Master Gullbrand, but ask any in the Palace Guard and they will vouch for her abilities."

"So." Gullbrand eyed her. "It seems that the women of Palarand are not like those of Einnland. I cannot think of any who could do what either you can do or Lady Garia might do. Perhaps -" He shook his head. "This land is stranger than we knew, it will make my task of advising Her Highness that more difficult."

"Do you know what she thinks of the Prince?"

He grimaced. "I do not, Mistress. When she returned from her meeting last night I had brief words with her but learned little. She was not in a good mood, though. This morning she is little better and I have suggested caution to her. She is unused to such a court as this and may present the wrong impression."

Milsy gave him a reassuring smile. "She's from somewhere else entirely, Master, just as you are, and everybody will understand that she may find things strange. I'm sure she will adjust in time."

Gullbrand was dubious. "If you say so, Mistress."

The King rose and everyone rose with him, to begin the tasks of the day. Robanar left the dining room with Captain Merek beside him. Eriana gestured to Gullbrand with an imperious wave and he stood, nodding to Milsy before crossing the room. He was apparently given some instruction because he departed rapidly through the doors.

Eriana then joined Keren to follow the King, with Garia seeming to deliberately wait before joining the procession. Milsy and Bursila joined in behind some guardsmen at almost the tail of the procession. After some corridors Milsy realized that Garia was working her way back towards her.

"What do you think of the visitor?" Garia asked in a low voice.

"Don't ask me, she's the only Princess I've ever seen," replied Milsy, equally quietly. "On the other hand, working in the castle kitchens you learn how to read people's characters and I think she's real, if that's what you're worried about. Only... there's something not quite right about her, if you understand me. It is difficult to talk to her, since her accent is so bad, but I just have a sense that we're not being told the complete story."

"What do you mean?"

Milsy shook her head. "I don't know. It's just a feeling." She turned to Garia and grinned. "Between you and me we ought to be able to discover the truth, though."

"How long has she been here?"

"Six days... no, seven now. She has two maids but they don't speak our language. She talks to them in their own gabble. Treats them poorly as well, in my opinion. I think Duchess Vivenne would have slapped her by now if she'd tried that in Dekarran, Princess or no."

Garia's eyebrows rose. "She does that in front of the Queen?"

"No, she's not that stupid. But she does it in front of others, like the palace staff and myself, and thinks she can get away with it because we don't know what they're saying. Only, the tone of voice is enough to tell me it isn't good."

"Interesting. What about other staff? She can't have come here with just two maids, surely?"

"No, there's someone who is a sort of Chancellor called Gullbrand who speaks our tongue reasonably well. He's handling the negotiations, so I'm told. Oh, and there's a tough called Lars who must be some kind of bodyguard. He doesn't speak our language either."

"Hmm. Thank you, Milsy. Where are they? I don't see the maids here or her... bodyguard."

"The maids will be at the back of this lot, they aren't considered important enough to be permitted that close to the King or Queen. Lars has been told, in blunt terms, that protection of everybody within the palace is the job of the Palace Guard and I think he spends his time following her Chancellor around at the moment. Where Gullbrand is today I have no idea, possibly talking to Kendar."

Milsy wondered why Garia was taking so much interest in the visitor. There would be a natural curiosity but her questions seemed to be much more urgent than that.

Her eyes suddenly widened, she went, "Ooooh!" and everybody stopped in their tracks.

I am an idiot!

Sheepishly she flapped her hands and said, "Sorry, everybody! I just remembered something, no need to worry!"

When the fuss had died down and everybody had resumed walking, she bent next to Garia's ear and hissed, "I'm slow today! No wonder you want to find out about Eriana. You're still sweet on the Prince aren't you?"

Garia replied, "It's worse than that. A lot worse than that."

"Oh, my! So you have competition!" Milsy looked at Garia speculatively. "I didn't know about the marriage rule until recently. Have you two -"

"We'll discuss this later."

"As you say. Perhaps it would be best."

The Large Training Room was full, and the royal party only made it more so. When Keren and Garia appeared there was a round of applause, but Keren stepped forward into the central space and held up a hand. The room quietened.

"Men, thank you for your welcome, but we must also remember those men who are injured and those who did not return except to rest on a pyre. The battle was won, it is true, but at great cost to our numbers and those of Dekarran. As we will tell you, the fighting was desperate."

The front rows of men were seated cross-legged on the floor. Behind them, men were seated on benches brought from the smaller rooms and behind them, men stood to see over the shoulders of their fellows. Milsy and Bursila found a space just inside the double doors but it was hard to see over the crowd.

In the center of the room was a line of frayen blankets concealing a number of bulky items and Milsy wondered what they were. Perhaps the 'toys' Garia had mentioned last night? Her guess proved right when Keren explained what was to happen next.

"Normally one who had taken part at the battle would first describe the layout of the forces and any buildings or other obstacles on the field. Today, I'm first going to describe the main weapon the enemy used, since it has a significant effect on how the battle was fought. If I did not do so, much of what will follow would not make sense."

With that he bent down and removed the blankets, showing a row of strange devices, lengths of metal pipe with shaped pieces of wood secured to them in various ways. Some were discolored while at least two others were bent. At the end some bulky satchels lay neatly ordered. There was an audible intake of breath from many of the men.

"These are called guns. Lady Garia tells us that the word gun is a general term for such weapons, much like we may say knife or sword. To begin with, I'll tell you how they work and what they would do to an opponent facing them. After our debriefing we'll talk about ways of protecting ourselves from such a weapon should we face them in future. These two thinner weapons at the end are the ones we faced in Blackstone Vale, which is why most of us had some idea how to defend ourselves during the recent battle. Unfortunately, that was not enough to protect all of us from death or injury."

After Keren talked about the guns they were removed and carried out to one of the smaller rooms. The blankets were laid out in a line to represent the wagons, in order to make the defenders' accounts more understandable. Every person who had been there then gave their own account about what they had seen and done.

The battle was gone through and several points noted which Merek said he would consider later. Garia and Keren then stood in the middle and told their audience what to do in the event someone pointed a gun at them in future. She also told them of future improvements Yod might make in gun design, and not to make assumptions about the possible range or capability of anything they faced. Some of their audience looked skeptical.

"Forgive me for saying so, Milady," one said, "but these look clumsy things that can be used only once in a battle. You did tell us they may be reloaded, as a crossbow is, but in that time anything could have happened."

"You are right, Torin is it? That's exactly what happened in this battle. However," Garia emphasized, "if they had carried twenty guns instead of ten, or even thirty or forty, then we would have all been dead. We were lucky that Yod came to get me with everything they had to hand and it wasn't enough, just. Our two archers made a great difference by killing one gun team before it could fire and archers will always be able to out-fire guns, at least for now. But remember, one of these guns can kill several people with a single shot. No archer or crossbowman can do that.

"In the future, a man with a gun will be able to fire and kill a single person from beyond the range of any archer. The guns of the future won't need teams to fire them or be so heavy. They'll also be easier and quicker to reload. The armor you now have will be useless. At that point we might as well surrender right away because nothing we have would be able to stop them."

There was a dead silence in the room as Garia pronounced this. Milsy suddenly understood the appalling burden that Garia carried, the knowledge of ideas and devices that could change a world - or destroy it.

"What do we do, Milady?" came a small voice in the crowd.

Garia turned to Robanar, who strode forward to stand beside Keren and Garia.

"This is but one of the terrible secrets Lady Garia hides from our world, and one of the secrets Yod wished to gain by kidnapping her. She knows what happens when whole armies of men numbering millions are armed with nothing but guns and worse weapons. She seeks to prevent our world following the same dreadful path, and I am entirely in agreement with that sentiment."

He turned around at the attentive audience. "Left to ourselves these devices would have been kept for a future where their deadly abilities may be more successfully restrained, but Yod has given them to the world and we must make reply. Men, there will be guns in your future, and we will rely on Lady Garia to ensure that no mistakes are made in their manufacture or use.

"We will take the war to Yod. There is no choice, our lands have been invaded. We trust that Lady Garia will assist us in ensuring that the war will come to a successful conclusion with fewer casualties on both sides." Robanar shook his head. "There are those who guide Yod who are responsible for their belligerence, and it will be those we seek. I trust that many of their ordinary folk like war about as much as we do. Let us prove to them there is a better way."

Robanar made a sign to indicate the session was at an end and turned to go. Milsy watched as Merek and Master-at-Arms Haflin headed in Garia's direction. Haflin reached her first.

"Milady! Would you tell me of your swords? I know from the accounts just given they have served you well but are they damaged? Did you find any flaw?"

Garia put on an angry face and pointed with one finger to the floor.

"On your knees, Haflin!"

The murmur in the hall checked at Garia's imperious command. The shocked smith came down on his knees with a thump, but before he could begin to voice a protest she wrapped her arms around his neck and planted a kiss on his cheek!

As the men roared their delight she murmured something in his ear and then added so everybody could hear, "Rise, please."

Standing back from a beaming Haflin she raised her voice so that the whole hall could hear.

"Master, your swords served me perfectly. I'll send them all along later today for you to examine. But the plates you made from the leftover star metal, that you had sewn into my tabard, saved my life twice during this battle. I took a direct hit from a crossbow bolt here and later a swipe from a sword across here. Neither more than scratched the metal. Master Haflin, I owe you my life."

Haflin executed a great bow. "My Lady, it is my honor to provide weapons and armor for those who defend our King, Queen and country. I would be derelict in my duty if I did not make sure those weapons and armor were of the best quality I could possibly devise. I am gratified my efforts have saved such a wonderful person for Palarand."

This time the cheers were louder, but Milsy noted that Eriana was furious.

* * *

Rosilda ran the garment through her fingers, checking for damage. The smoky smell was apparent, even here in the hut where the wax vats were located.

"You are correct, I deem, there is no damage that cannot be remedied. How did this happen?"

Milsy wrinkled her nose. "I don't know how easy it will be to describe to you. There were three brick ovens, a little like those in the bakery but much bigger. On top of each oven is a big iron cylinder we loaded with coal. When the coal is cooked a gas is given off which is taken out to a gas holder behind the oven. This gas holder is... like a giant cylindrical bellows, say, made of curved segments of leather carefully sealed at the seams. It can go up, oh, I don't know, maybe two strides or so."

"A bellows? How do you press down on such a big thing?"

"Oh, it isn't pressed down, just the opposite. Its own weight keeps it down, the gas presses it up from the inside as it fills. The only purpose is to store the gas until it can be used. What happened yesterday was that the bellows filled too quickly, before anyone realized that it was happening, and one of the seams split. The chimney of the oven was right there and the gas caught fire, and then the wood and leather of the bellows... we all had to run around the back and stop everything catching fire."

"Oh! That must have been exciting."

"More exciting than anyone desired," Milsy replied dryly. "Still, it didn't take too long to damp down and then we had to decide what to do with the gas instead. I got a little water on the skirt but otherwise I think it's just the smell of the smoke. Can you do anything?"

"Aye, of course. The water, that is nothing, the normal leather treatment will ensure that no stain remains and I think we have a paste for the smoke. It will just need to be wiped over and then brushed and aired."

Milsy turned to Bursila. "See? I told you so."

Rosilda asked, "You know of this paste, then?"

"Well, I'm assuming that it will be something like a paste we used in Dekarran, to clean marks off the floors."

"Not so, Mistress! I know to what you refer and it should not be used on leather for fear of staining. What we, or more properly the saddlers use, is a mixture of -"

The language descended into a technical description of various cleaning substances and where and when they were customarily used, Milsy finding out more about the substances and methods than she had ever learned in the castle kitchens.

"So, how long will we be without them?"

"Not tomorrow, but probably the day following, they may be returned to you." Rosilda thought. "Of course, now that Lady Garia is returned, there may be other demands on my time. I'm sure that between us we can clean your suits for return at that time."

"Oh. Bursila, that just means we have to be careful what we do or where we go today and tomorrow, then. Very well, Rosilda, thank you for your time and attention."

"Mistress," Rosilda ventured, "until I know Lady Garia's requirements and desires I may not promise anything, but I would suggest that you and Bursila request a second set of suits for yourselves. There will surely be other times when these will not be available."

"As you say! We'll go and see Lady Dyenna immediately."

Milsy stopped at the office to order two new suits, explaining that their request was not particularly urgent.

"In fact," she added with a smile, "I anticipate that Lady Garia will be ordering her own such suit, having seen mine last night when I returned and immediately liked it. Hers, of course, should have priority."

"Do you tell me?" Dyenna was impressed. "Then I shall ask Rosilda to begin the laying-out procedure right away. Your suits are an unusual garment, it is true, but I can see the utility, should a woman have the need to venture among guildsmen."

"That's exactly why we requested them, Milady, and they certainly proved their worth yesterday."

Milsy and Bursila made their way back to their quarters where they changed for lunch.

"What do you think we will be doing this afternoon, Mistress?"

"Hmm? Oh, I've been thinking about that gas holder bellows thing. The idea was a good one but it isn't going to work except for small demonstration ovens like mine. I think I'll stay out of everybody's way this afternoon and experiment on some ideas I have already had. Why? Was there somewhere I'm supposed to be?"

"I do not think so, Mistress. It may be better for you to be available, so to speak, in case the Prince or Lady Garia requires your presence."

"That's a very good point, Bursila. Are we ready? Then let's go to lunch."

* * *

Milsy straightened and Bursila handed her a towel.

"Thank you. Well, that worked! I thought it was a crazy idea at first but it seems to do what we want. Bursila, I think I may have an answer to the gas holder problem... assuming that this idea works when it is scaled up."

In front of Milsy on the bench was a deep copper pot borrowed from the kitchens. This was half filled with water and in it, inverted, was one of the glass battery jars. Two lengths of copper pipe had been bent to go into the water and emerge into the air remaining in the top of the jar. One of the pipes had been temporarily plugged, and when Milsy blew into the other one, the glass jar rose, the air remaining trapped inside it by the water. Bursila had kept the jar vertical to prevent it tipping over.

"It has only one moving part... unfortunately, that part is almost the whole vessel. It will have to contain the gas, so it can't be of fabric. Wood would be too heavy and would try to float, so it looks as if we'll have to wait until Master Parrel can produce some large sheets of very thin steel." Her expression changed. "Unfortunately again, if we use steel, all that water will make it rust."

"Perhaps Master Parrel or Master Tarvan will have some ideas, when they return," Bursila suggested.

"Aye, you are right." Milsy massaged her back. "What time is it? Now that we no longer have a clock in here I forget how the time passes."

"As you say, Mistress. I will go into the dining room and find out for you."

As Bursila left Milsy considered what she had discovered and began making sketches on some sheets of paper. By the time the maid returned Milsy had made up her mind.

"It is a bell and a half before the evening meal, Mistress."

"Ah, right. That gives me time to make an order up. What I'm going to do is to ask our friends in Pakh Lane to make me up a proper prototype out of copper or brass, so we can test it without things falling over or coming loose. I'll ask for valves to be placed on the pipes and the pipes will be soldered into the base. What do you think?"

"It would certainly make more sense, Mistress. Testing on the bench is fun, it is true, but everything kept falling over or coming loose."

"Aye, well, this is the next step. We make something that should look more like the final product."

"Should I return this pot to the kitchens, Mistress? I assume that you have finished with it now."

"Yes, please, Bursila." Milsy cast a critical glance over the bench. "We'll have to do some cleaning up in here, I deem. Surely Lady Garia will want to see these benches just as she left them."

"As you say, Mistress, but I believe she will also want to see the clocks, do you not agree?"

"Indeed! She must have noticed the clocks around the building by now."

"If you would lift the jar and the pipes, Mistress, I will empty the water out in the pantry and then find someone to take the pot back."

"Of course, Bursila. Then we really must make ourselves ready to eat. With everybody back I'll have to make an effort with my appearance from now on, will I not?"

* * *

Milsy had attended several funerals during her time at Dekarran, but nothing like this. There, it had been low-key affairs at pyres on the hillside beyond one of the lower terraces. One funeral had even been held in the town itself. Nobody from "the lower levels" had ever been invited to join the Duke and his retinue on the upper terrace, on the rare occasion when somebody important had died.

In the palace it seemed that custom was different. Anyone who so wished could join the mourners and, as some of the dead had been guardsmen or served the palace in other ways, there was a sizable crowd on the field as the sun lowered in the west. Milsy and Bursila had joined them at Commander Feteran's suggestion, since Milsy had been a critical part of the deception that had permitted Garia to go north, and without that deception no battle would have happened.

As the priest gave the words for the dead she looked around. Everybody who could wore the customary gray attire, even the palace servants, but there were many who did not. She was glad of her thick, stiff gown for a change, as the warmth of the sun was already waning and the evenings were becoming chill.

She muttered an aside to Bursila. "Do you know any of those who died?"

"I do not think so, Mistress. Remember, Lady Merizel and I have not been at court long so we do not know so many who work in the palace."

"Except maybe the guardsmen?"

"As you say, Mistress, but I do not think I know any of those who died, even so."

"Who are those two? Why are they on a separate pyre?"

"They appear young, Mistress... but many of the guardsmen are young, too. I do not know."

Garia walked out to stand in front of the smaller pyre before speaking. Her voice sounded clearly in the hushed atmosphere and Milsy could detect the emotion as she spoke. A maid? A new maid, perhaps, from the north? Killed in the battle? She pursed her lips as it seemed that the battle must have been even harder than they had described that morning.

Then Garia moved to speak about the second person, a boy of about her own age, apparently. He had been held prisoner by those of Yod... and, likely, the source of the guns which now alarmed everybody. It seemed he had been killed by accident somehow, right at the end of the battle.

Milsy had a startling thought. That boy came from the same world that Garia did!

And then others. What's going on? Are there any more? There must be! Are we likely to come across them?

Garia took the offered torch and thrust it into the smaller pyre. Standing beside the larger one, Feteran thrust his torch into a pyre bearing men he had known, some for years. All stood and watched as the flames rose higher before eventually turning away under a darkened sky.

"Let's get inside," she said with a shiver. "I can respect the dead but it is beginning to get cold out here."

"I agree, Mistress."

The two followed the mass of mourners across the grass to the various ways into the palace.

"I don't know how you feel but I think I feel less safe now, somehow. Seeing those bodies like that... and one of them a maid! I will do my duty, of course, but I think we must needs be a little more careful now that everybody is back in the palace, do you not agree?"

"As you say, Mistress, but, surely, we may trust those of the palace?"

Milsy snorted. "You do remember how my part in this started, Bursila? With a palace guardsman and a Dekarran guardsman attempting to kidnap Garia? Aye, I trust most but we must still be careful, I deem."

"Indeed, Mistress. Perhaps we shall learn more tomorrow."

~o~O~o~

Whatever Milsy had intended to do the following morning at breakfast was thrown into confusion by the sudden appearance of a breathless guardsman. He saluted Robanar and rattled off something she couldn't catch. Merek immediately stood, his knife and fork dropping with a clatter onto the table.

The Captain was about to follow the guardsman out when Garia called out something to him. Everybody turned to her and she said something which surprised Merek. He acknowledged her with a nod and strode from the dining room after the guardsman.

Maker! What has happened now? Another attack by Yod?

Are we in any danger?

Gullbrand leaned towards her. "Do you know what transpires, Mistress? Is this sort of thing usual at court?"

Milsy smiled back. "You know that I have been in the palace only a short time longer than you have, Master Gullbrand? In that time I have never seen anything like this happen." She paused. "After the recent battle I would expect other unpleasant events, perhaps, and this might be one of them. As to what it might be, I have no idea."

"Are we in danger, do you think?"

She thought. "I do not think so, Master Gullbrand. If we were, I'm sure that there would be alarms and more people running around. I think the palace is safe, at least for now."

Gullbrand stared at the group sitting at the center table. "Her Highness asks the King what has happened. Mayhap she will tell me later."

"Hmm. Everybody over there looks anxious, do you not agree? Perhaps we had better eat up our breakfast and find out what will happen next. If there are changes to routine then it may affect what we can do today."

"Wise words, Mistress. Without more information we do not know what to do."

Another guardsman appeared near the end of the meal. Robanar rose and, with a gesture and a word to the others, followed him from the room. Everybody on the center table now looked to the Queen, who came to several decisions. She rose, so naturally everyone else also did so, and then she led a procession out of the room to leave Gullbrand and Milsy looking at each other.

"It looks like you're not going to find out much just yet, Master Gullbrand." Milsy brightened. "However, I might just have a way for both of us to learn more. Since Her Highness did not ask for you, perhaps you might accompany me? It should not take long."

As she expected, Tord was standing just outside the door with the rest of her escort.

"Tord. Do you know what is happening?"

"Aye, Mistress, it seems that the Residency of Yod is burning, the fire is so fierce that it is said nothing can be saved."

"The Residency of Yod? What is that? Where they all live?"

"Some of them, Mistress." Tord briefly explained what he thought a Residency was and then added, "As yesterday, Mistress, I have been instructed to ask that you remain in your chambers until we know what is happening, and that it is safe."

"Oh." Milsy's shoulders dropped. "If you say so, Tord. I can understand why, when strange things are happening. What about Master Gullbrand here? Should he attend Her Highness? Is there any danger to them?"

"I could not say, Mistress. My instructions, as you must realize, concern only your own safety." He paused, then added, "His Majesty is naturally interested in the occurrence but does not seem too concerned. It is my opinion that, since this is but a burning building somewhere in the city, the palace will not be directly affected and the restrictions should be lifted shortly."

"Shortly?"

The armsman shrugged. "Before lunchtime would be my guess, Mistress. I will keep you informed as matters develop."

She gestured at the corridor. "Then lead on, Tord. I have plenty to do this morning so it will not hurt me to stay in my suite for a bell or two. Master Gullbrand, I believe that you now know as much as everybody else does."

* * *

It was with some relief that Milsy and Bursila appeared in the dining room for lunch. The morning had been trying, since she had found it difficult to describe on paper her prototype 'gas holder' design in a way that would make sense to the guildsmen who would make it, though of course she had no problem understanding the description herself.

She had also had several ideas on various projects that she wanted to try out but could not, both because it would have been unwise to enter the laboratory and then, once Tord had lifted the restrictions, because she had wanted Garia to inspect the benches before she did anything new.

In the dining room Garia stood talking to Jenet and the new girl she had noticed the previous morning. Thinking to ask Garia about the benches, she went to join them.

"Milsy, this is Senidet," Garia said, introducing the Blackstone girl. "She is the daughter of Brydas, Blackstone's smith. She can read and write and she understands the technical drawings which the guild sends her father."

"Pleased to meet you," Milsy said. She gave the other girl a quick inspection. "You decided to chance your luck in the capital, then?"

"If it please you," Senidet said. She seemed to be a very reserved girl, no doubt unsure of herself after coming to the palace. She added, "Lady Garia suggested that I come with her on her journey south. She believes that I will learn much more here than at home with my father. She plans to prentice me, though we do not yet know in what craft."

"Ah!" Milsy smiled at Garia. "Milady, I sense a hidden motive here. You want me to look after your friend here while you are tangled up with this war, yes?"

"If you would, Milsy. As you say, I'm going to be somewhat busy the next few days." Garia frowned. "We really must have a talk, and soon. There are a couple of very important items outstanding between you and me."

Milsy wondered what problems Garia had thought of that she had not. She nodded. "As you say, Garia."

But Garia's attention was elsewhere, and there was dismay on her face. Keren had come into the room with Eriana and it was apparent that the two were beginning to be comfortable in each other's presence. No wonder Garia was upset, especially after what she had said earlier!

Fortunately, Keren took one look at Garia's expression and steered the Princess away to greet his mother.

Milsy said, in a quiet voice, "I'm guessing things just became awkward."

When Garia turned back to her the pain was obvious. "We have to face another kind of battle, now, and it's not one that I can take part in. I can only stand and watch. You understand?"

Milsy nodded. "Of course I do. In Palarand the King always has the final word and I have no -" She stopped at Garia's expression. "What's the matter?"

"That's exactly the problem, but I've no time to explain it all now. A lot has happened since we last saw each other and I know a lot more about what is going on and why. One day, perhaps -" She shook her head. "There's just too much and we have to resolve this first, before I can even think of telling anybody what I know. I'm sorry, Milsy."

Milsy put a hand on Garia's arm. "Anything I can do to help," she smiled, "you know where I am."

"Thank you."

After a short time Kendar announced the King and everyone headed for their seats. Garia reluctantly headed towards the center table while Milsy turned to Senidet.

"I'm guessing that you don't have sufficient status to eat at the center table, any more than I do. Come and sit by me, I'm usually over there beside Gullbrand."

"Who is Gullbrand?"

Milsy grinned. "Ah, now there's a story you have to hear. You see the tall blonde girl next to the King?"

She gave the newcomer a quick version of Eriana's arrival and presence in the palace as they walked towards the seats she usually occupied. This time, however, Gullbrand was not present so Milsy had to entertain Senidet by herself over their lunch.

At the end she remembered Tord.

"I think you'd better come with me this afternoon," she said as they stood, "I don't think either of us is going to be able to talk to Garia much today, do you not agree?"

"I can see that the situation is very difficult," Senidet said, "but I do not understand the reasons why. If you would explain?"

"Aye, I will, but it would be better to leave any talking until we get to my quarters. This way."

Outside Tord came to attention. "What are your plans this afternoon, Mistress?"

"Tord, if you have not yet met her, this is Mistress Senidet who has traveled down from Blackstone with Lady Garia. It seems that she might become a guild member too in time, just like me." She gave him a lop-sided smile. "As Lady Garia is likely to be busy for some while she has asked me to look after Senidet until everything settles. I thought we'd spend this afternoon in my suite getting to know each other, since we'll likely be working together in future."

Tord nodded toward a wide-eyed Senidet. "Mistress Senidet, welcome to the palace. If you would both follow me."

He conducted the two, plus their maids, the short distance to the door of the Master Questor's suite and waited until Bursila opened it.

"What is the alert state, Tord? Can I take Senidet into the laboratory, do you think?"

"Mistress, we have received word that the... fire incident... only affects three streets in the city and so the alert state has been relaxed. You may take Mistress Senidet anywhere in the palace, should you so desire, though any travel beyond the palace grounds may require some careful thinking."

"I don't plan to go out today, Tord, but you never know. Thank you, we'll call if anyone is needed."

Once the door to the suite had been closed behind them Senidet whirled to Milsy. "You have your own armsmen? Are you that important, Mistress?"

Milsy giggled and Bursila had to smile.

"Yes and no, Senidet, and when we are alone you shall name me Milsy. If we are to be... colleagues, then we must needs become used to speaking freely. If you would come this way, we can make ourselves comfortable."

Milsy and Senidet found comfortable seats in the sitting room. Milsy looked at Senidet's maid, a girl a little older than herself with almost-black curly hair and a lively face.

"Do I know you? Your face seems familiar. You are not from Blackstone, then?"

The girl bobbed. "Mistress, I am Molleena, I am palace born and have lived here all my life."

"Ah, I thought I recognized you. Well, it seems that I first have to give you a warning."

Molleena looked alarmed. "Mistress?"

"Oh, you haven't done anything bad - yet. But, I have to tell you that much of what happens in these chambers is to be considered private and you should not say anything to anyone about what you might see or hear without permission. The work that Tarvan and I do is Guild business and some of it may be considered secret. Do you understand?"

"Aye, Mistress."

"Secondly, there is a rule which Lady Garia introduced, which is that if your Mistress permits, you need not stand around while we are just talking. I did enough of that in Dekarran and there is no reason at all that you should not rest your legs when you are not required for service."

"Mistress? Are you sure?" A look of uncertainty came over her face. "Mistress? I'm sorry, I should not -"

Milsy waved a hand. "Please. I won't bite if you ask sensible questions. Aye, I am sure. Find a seat with Bursila, or, better still, let Bursila tell you what we do in here, if you do not already know. If you are to be Senidet's maid, then your duties will likely be more than just helping her get her attire on and off and serving her at table. Tell her, Bursila."

Bursila led the younger girl over to the dining table at the window and both sat down, Molleena somewhat reluctantly. Milsy turned to Senidet with a smile.

"Now to answer all those questions of yours! Aye, I am deemed important by the King, though I come from humble beginnings." She thought to test her guest. "Have you noticed anything particular about me?"

"I noticed, that time we met briefly in the dining room yesterday, that you seemed to look very like Lady Garia, at least until I saw your face properly." Senidet frowned. "I deem you cannot be related, for I know where Lady Garia comes from and that she arrived alone."

"You're right, like Molleena there I was born a servant, but in Dekarran castle. I would still be there, working in the kitchens, if it had not been for the kidnap attempt on Garia, before she departed to go north."

The Blackstone girl nodded. "Aye, I have heard the story of that attempt, how she and Jenet fought off four, killing one and capturing another."

"As you say. Well, the King sought a distraction and thought to bring Garia south again when he returned to the palace, only I traveled in her place, pretending to be her, while she went north in secret."

Senidet nodded again. "Aye, I have heard part of the story, Lady Garia's part, of course. I did not know somebody had pretended to be her, and came south with the King."

Milsy smiled. "So, even though I was but a kitchen servant, peeling vegetables and washing pots, Her Majesty thought that I was bright enough to be doing something more useful for Palarand, and with Garia as an example she thought I could improve myself here."

"Here? In these rooms?"

"Oh, no! To begin with, I was supposed to be Lady Garia, you see, so I lived in her suite, right next door to the Royal suite upstairs. I did some of the things she was supposed to do, but I cannot do any of her martial arts so I have kept clear of the training halls. I do - we do, Bursila and I - the Tai Chi. I learned most of that before we came south." She smiled. "Then I accidentally met Fulvin and Tarvan and my fate was sealed."

"Fulvin and Tarvan? Who are they?"

"They are palace guildsmen and they were interested in the few things which Lady Garia had with her when she came from Earth, such as her watch and clothing. I'll show you those another time, if Garia has not done so already."

"Her watch? What is that?"

"It is a portable clock which fits on her wrist with a strap, much as a bracelet does. It counts the hours and minutes of Earth."

"Hours and minutes?"

"My, you do have a lot to catch up with! Here, let us go back to the dining room and I shall explain."

The four, now surrounded by armsmen, retraced their steps to the dining room, which was by then being cleared by the servants. Milsy explained the clock to an astonished Senidet.

"What an amazing thing! And you tell me you designed that clock?"

"Well, mostly, with Tarvan to help me. And not just this clock, either. All what you see up there does is show the time to everyone in this room. Have you noticed wires up on the wall, above the door height, as you walked through some of the palace corridors?"

"Well, aye, I have, though I had no idea what they were for. They seemed to be fixed, so I wondered if they were some strange kind of decoration. They are to do with the clock, then?"

"That's right! There is something called a master clock which does the business of counting the bells, hours and minutes -"

"Hours and minutes? Oh, the right hand dial, that starts and ends at midnight and noon, is that what you said?"

Milsy grinned. "You have a good memory! So, the master clock is near the palace's Great Clock and may eventually replace it." She held up a hand as Senidet began to ask yet another question. "Please! You'll find out everything soon enough, I'm sure. Let me see, where was I? Oh, yes, the master clock is over there, somewhere," Milsy pointed vaguely. "The wires carry information around the palace to each of these repeater clocks, so in fact they are all connected together."

"All? How many of them are there?"

"Five... I think. Or is it seven? The palace guildsmen are installing them by themselves, now, ever since I showed them how to, so I don't know the exact number. Now, because of that, and because of some other things I have invented, I have been made a guildswoman to follow in Lady Garia's footsteps, I was made guildswoman number two, in fact. Have you heard of Master Parrel? He is Guildmaster of the Metalsmiths, and Tarvan is Craftmaster of a special division under him. Although this division is involved in the new craft of electricity, in practice we look at all kinds of different projects and offer advice if we can. I must take you out to the new blast furnaces some time, oh, and the coke plant as well."

There was amazement on Senidet's face, but Milsy could see calculation as well. If a kitchen servant could achieve so much, what might a smith's daughter do?

"This is all new to me," she said, "though Lady Garia has spoken of some of it as we traveled. I did not think so much could be done! It seems that I have much to learn."

Milsy grinned. "That is the right attitude! However, you will find that whatever you learn only reveals yet more to be learned. Only time will tell how far you can go."

"As you say. You spoke of... electricity... is that right? What is that?"

"Ah. I think the best way to explain would be to show you, as we have everything already set up in the laboratory, over there." Milsy pointed through the new glass windows and across the courtyard. "I wonder... Bursila, if you would go and fetch Tord. If we go out of here the other end, we can enter the laboratory from the outer door."

"As you wish, Mistress."

The procession of armsmen trooped through the dining room and then out the other end, along the parallel corridor to the laboratory door. Milsy pointed up above the doorway as Bursila used her key.

"See the wires? The master clock used to be mounted on the other side of the wall there, while we made sure it operated correctly. Now it has been moved somewhere else so that the Clockmakers can look after it, as they do the Great Clock."

Inside the laboratory was bright and airy. Tord waited until Bursila had relocked the door before nodding to Milsy and leading his men through the laboratory and out the far end. Senidet was immediately drawn to the benches nearest the door.

"Wires! This is where you invented the clock, then."

"Indeed, Senidet. These two clocks were, ah, gifted to the King by the Clockmakers' Guild and Tarvan and I took them apart to find out how they could work - and to see if we could do any better."

Senidet gasped. "You did not! Surely you could not have known how such a complicated thing as this worked?"

Milsy grinned openly now. "I did, and after we stripped one down I discovered a way to make the whole thing work much easier, and with a lot less parts. Then I had the bright idea that, if I could make a clock work that simply, a second clock could be made to work off the first, and with only half the parts."

"Ah! That is these two frames, I deem, with the wires between."

"Aye. But first, it would be more useful, perhaps, if we were to go to the other bench, where Lady Garia first showed Anmar the secrets of electricity."

"Oh. How interesting. She made these?"

"Aye, before she ever came to Dekarran. Bursila, it might be a good idea if we used some fresh battery jars for the demonstration."

"I was just thinking that, Mistress. It has been some time since we last used this bench."

Both Senidet and Molleena stared as Bursila, obviously knowing exactly what she was doing, disconnected a battery jar and switched it for one from a row on a wheeled cart to one side.

Senidet pointed. "Ah! You have a steam engine, I see. It is like the one that was sent to Blackstone."

"Actually, this is not the first engine ever built on Anmar, but the oldest one that survives, I deem. The original one was here, to demonstrate to His Majesty, but it has been much modified since those days."

Senidet's eyes were fairly glowing. "I was not sure, when Lady Garia first suggested that I come to the city with her when she returned from Blackstone. It seemed so far away and I would be leaving almost everyone and everything I knew. I am so pleased that I decided to take the risk."

"Almost?"

Senidet blushed. "There is a boy... we had been friends before... before the bandits came to Blackstone. Lady Garia has brought him to the palace with her as a trainee armsman. My father approves of the match, and so does Lady Garia."

Milsy smiled. "Ah, a young man! I might have known. You had better introduce us when you can, I'm sure that we will be seeing each other very often."

Senidet looked uncertain. "In the palace... will there not be temptations?"

"If you mean me, then you may rest easy, Senidet. I already have an arrangement with Master Tarvan, of which the Queen approves. I doubt any will dispute your right to your young man."

"Oh." She looked relieved. "I did not know... the big city, you understand. We are but country folk from a remote district and we do not know the customs."

"There are plenty of customs, and some are peculiar to the palace, but everyone knows you are a stranger here so will make allowances. Now, if Bursila will connect up the fresh batteries, I shall explain to you the new and wonderful craft of electricity."

* * *

"Maker! I have never seen so many documents before!"

"I do not think anyone else had, either! But remember, this is probably a hundred years or more of letters, descriptions, notes and everything else ever accumulated by the Royal Questors of Palarand. I do not think they threw a single thing away."

"And it is such a mess! Papa would have told me off if I left anything in that state. Why, only the desk is clear!"

Milsy laughed. "Not so, Senidet! Tarvan told me that when Prince Keren and Lady Merizel began clearing the study, the table was piled high with just as much as you see on the shelves. The Prince and Lady Merizel sorted them into those baskets on the floor there."

"Oh, I see. But... you said Lady Merizel. Did not Lady Garia help?"

"Well at the beginning, she could not read our letters, or know the numbers to work out any dates on the documents, so Garia and Jenet spent their time clearing those two benches in the laboratory, and cleaning the end of the floor around the furnace, while the Prince and Lady Merizel started on the study. It was only later that she began helping in here."

Senidet was amazed. "She could not read our letters?"

Milsy shrugged. "I could not read them either, when I came to the palace." Her tone was dry. "You don't have to read very much when you work in a kitchen. I learned fast, and it seems that Garia did as well."

The smith's daughter walked over to the blackboard and studied it.

"What is this? One of Master Morlan's designs?"

"Actually it is a problem of mine up there. We do make use of the blackboard in here. I need to have a model made and I'm finding it difficult describing what I want them to make. It is to do with the coke plant, and the storage of the gas it produces."

"Coke plant? Oh, like that strange metal cylinder that was sent to Blackstone to bake coal in?"

"That's right, only much bigger, of course. Now, you remember the little pipe that came out of the top? Well -"

They both had chalk in their hands and were intent on how the design could be drawn when Bursila interrupted.

"Mistress, it will soon be time for the evening meal."

"What? Oh, of course, Bursila." Milsy beamed at Senidet. "I'm always forgetting the time, and you can barely hear the bells in here if you do not know what to listen for. You'll have to change as well, I deem. Do you have sufficient evening gowns? The Queen is not very demanding, and has been known to let me off sometimes, but usually I can find a long gown to wear. What about you?"

Senidet was shy. "Mistress, I have brought some gowns with me as we ate several meals in noble houses along the way. But I doubt many of my gowns will be suitable to wear before the Queen."

Milsy grinned. "Then we will have to take you to the Palace Wardrobe sometime soon. For now, Molleena shall take you back to your chambers to get changed while I tidy myself up. I'll see you again shortly."

"As you say... Milsy. I must say that I have enjoyed what I have seen so far and I am sure that I have made the right decision to come to the palace. I will see you shortly... in yonder dining room?"

A shake of the head. "I think we're still dining in the Receiving Room, Senidet. Molleena knows the way. I'll see you there."

"Of course. Molleena? If you would show me the way back to my chamber, please."

up
235 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I really need to catch up on this story.

WillowD's picture

When I first discovered this universe I avidly read everything, up until the point that I reached chapter 12 on this story. Then I got distracted. Now that I've been reminded, I think I will go back and catch up. This is an awesome set of stories.

Ack! I've caught up.

WillowD's picture

Now, what to read next? I started rereading SEE again. But I see "The Voyage of the Visund" and "Julina of Blackstone" mentioned in the comments. And there is an intriguing story title called "Daughters of Time". So there are a few things I can read while waiting for the next chapter.

These stories are good!

To quote Bev - still lovin' it.

Poor Senidet must have been wondering for a full day just what she got herself into, but now seems to have found her feet somewhat.

A very smooth and workable introduction for her and Milsy.

Well done!

J.

P.S. Appendices shall be updated soonest!

I will take a little while to get Sendit up to speed

I have a little trouble imagining learning how to read as an adult But learning a new language would be just as intimidating. These people would have to have a real sense of adventure about them.

Senidet

Already knows how to read, and she knows numbers, traditional and Garian Numbers, she also has experience from helping out in her father's workshop, obviously not a lot of heavy labor, but she understands a lot more than Milsy did when she started out.

I wonder how long it will

I wonder how long it will take to figure out they can use the water seal as a valve going into a boiler like tank...

Very nice chapter

The interaction between Garia, Milsy, and Senidet was especially fun and interesting to read.

Women in engineering

Luckily Garia is there to ensure that women in engineering is not being squashed by men. But it is up to women like Milsy to show what women can do and be recognized for it, unlike poor Hedy Lamarr, who invented Frequency Hopping, was still accused of stealing the idea from her first husband by men.

Wondering What Milsy Did?

Teek's picture

I have been wondering What Milsy Did upon Garia's return. I was introduced to this world with the tales of "What Milsy Did?" and then have read all (I believe) the other stories. This being my first, has always held a place in my heart. It's absence of lately has been noticed. I am glad to see it continue. Knowing the future, gives me some idea, but it also leaves me with many questions that this story will have to answer. Milsy is in charge of at least Blackstone upon Garia's return to earth. I wonder if she will actually go up there, and what that will do for the future of the town. We know by distant future that Garia and Misly are significant people in history, and this knowledge has only heightened my curiosity in the continuation of this story. Thanks for returning to it.

Keep Smiling, Keep Writing
Teek

Keep Smiling, Keep Writing
Teek

Writing Milsy

I left a comment on the latest chapter of 'The Voyage of the Visund', giving a brief explanation, but I'll expand here.

I have had a number of personal problems this year, including household, health and family. If you don't know my history, I suffered from a significant health problem back in 2013 where I came within 3 days of losing my kidneys. Before that even, I was forced to give up work in 2006 with a 'mysterious illness' that was identified as Chronic Fatigue Syndrome or, alternatively, Fibromyalgia. I now suspect that neither of those was correct and they were just precursors to what eventually followed, which is Vasculitis, a kind of auto-immune disease which attacks the lining of blood vessels.

Anyhow, this spring I have been plagued by fatigue, such that it has been difficult to write. The stories are there but the physical ability has sometimes been absent.

As I mentioned there have also been family issues which required me to drive hundreds of miles to visit aged parents, sister, son and grand-daughters. When you're already susceptible to fatigue you don't want to write much when you get home.

Writing Milsy presents some other challenges. It has to fit in with the existing storylines that are already published, which can mean (as I did yesterday) reading whole chapters to verify a single word, or cross-checking three other stories to make sure that things happen on the right date and the right order. If you're also reading "Julina of Blackstone" then Julia Phillips's recent blog notes that she now has the same problem. These are made worse by the fact that the three stories now in play - What Milsy Did, Julina of Blackstone and The Voyage of the Visund - are all set at different dates in the timeline and that sometimes we have to spend time pre-planning the future before we can write the present.

I began writing The Voyage of the Visund since that had been planned as a continuation of SEE for a long time and essentially goes off into unexplored territory. This gives me a certain freedom to write without having to worry so much about cross-checking. The other stories are more tricky which is why the chapter rate is much slower.

Penny

She ain't making points

Jamie Lee's picture

Eriana ain't making points by getting upset because Garia is front and center and she isn't. The eyes of the palace seldom miss much, so her expressions of anger have been noticed--Milsy saw it in the large training room.

Senidet won't take long coming up to speed with the things Milsy is doing in the lab and elsewhere. Milsy is patient enough to explain how this or that works and may find Senidet grasps concepts well enough to soon offer her own ideas.

Molleena is shell shocked so far, being able to sit while her mistress works with Milsy. It will take her a while to become accustomed to how the lab works, how the palace works, and the whens and hows of palace life. And see how much better people are treated in the palace.

Others have feelings too.