Gaby Book 16 ~ Sweet Sixteen ~ Chapter *36* Flying Visit

Printer-friendly version
 
 
*Chapter 36*
Flying Visit

 
 

“When’s your birthday?” Steff asked Friday lunchtime.
“You know when, a week on Sunday.”
“Really?” Nena exclaimed, “I thought it was weeks away.”
“So you doing anything for it?”
“Mum usually does a big dinner or we’ll go out.”
“Must remember to get a card,” Bridg put in.
“When do you get back from England?” Con enquired.
“Tuesday I think, I’ll ring when I know.”

The last week has been a lot calmer, it’s after half term that it starts getting busier, in fact as things go I’d call it quiet. No dramas at cheer, only a couple of mocks and homework now consists of revision, revision and more revision.

“You packed, Gaby?” Mum demanded when I got home from Garde.
“Almost,” I allowed.
“We won’t have time in the morning to play about, tonight please.”
“Yes, Mum,” I sighed.

Of course I’ve known about this weekend for ages, pre season testing in Manchester for me, Mand and Mum (they seem to have taken more interest in Mum again after her Roskilde medal). Not sure we’ll see anyone else, it’s much easier to organise for the guys living in the UK, it’s just us three who are an issue, not sure about Josh though, he never said anything at the presentation. So anyway, we’re flying over tomorrow, staying at Gran’s then we’ve got stuff at the velodrome Sunday and Monday then it’s home.

“And don’t forget your skinsuit,” she called after my retreating back.
“No, Mum.” At least we aren’t taking bikes.

“Anyone want coffee,” I asked.

We’d got to the airport well early; everything was going well until the board flashed up a delay on our flight. No reason but expected departure was now an hour later.

“See if you can get some food,” Mum asked slipping me a twenty.
“I’ll come too,” Mand offered.
“Won’t be long.”

We set off down the concourse, I saw a snack bar place a few gates along from where we’d camped, at least we didn’t have to go back through passport control.

“We got held up for six hours coming back from Tenerife once,” Mand supplied.
“I hate airports, queue to check in, security, passports, to get on the plane, nightmare.”
“S’pose so, oh look, another queue.”

Well it wasn’t a big queue at the food outlet; we joined the line and settled to wait our turn.

“Coffee and er cheese and ham,” I supplied passing Mum a cup and bag.
“Cheers, do I get any change?”
Skinflint! “In my pocket.”

I put my stuff down and fished the coins out of my pocket.

“How much?” she exclaimed.
“It is an airport,” I pointed out, I must admit eighteen euros for three coffees and three sandwiches is a bit rich. “Gran picking us up?”
“No, we’ll hire a car in Manchester, gives us more flexibility.”

Mand was busy with her book and Ipod music thing and Mum returned to her magazine, I checked the time, 12.05.

12.49, I sighed as I waited for the departure board to cycle through, “Hey, our flight’s been called!”
“‘Bout time,” Mum grumbled.
“Mand!” I shook her leg.
“What?” she asked pulling an ear bud free to hear.
“Time.”

A grey day in Dusseldorf translated a couple of hours later to a typical wet and miserable afternoon in Manchester. The flight was a bit bumpy coming in to Manchester; we seemed to get a bit sideways on the runway as the pilot slammed us onto the tarmac. I was well glad to get off the plane but then it’s the warren of corridors and stairs that take you to passport control, we got through there quick enough but then had to wait for the case we were sharing.

think when they designed Manchester airport they tried to make it as difficult as possible to use. We eventually located the car hire and an hour after landing finally got to our transport.

“Bit excessive,” I noted.
“They didn’t have an Astra left so we got upgraded.”

The upgrade was a Ford Kuga, a huge sort of four by four people carrier thing; I suppose it’s a bit like Gloria’s Cayenne but less luxury.

“Come on, we still have to get to your Gran’s,” Mum went on.

In theory the motorways are the quickest route but instead Mum took us on the A roads through Wilmslow, Holmes Chapel and Middlewich.

“Give your Gran a call, Gab, we’ll be about fifteen minutes,” Mum suggested.
“’Kay,” I got out my Handy and hit the speed dial.
After a couple of rings it was answered, “Peters.”
“Hi, Gran.”
“Gaby, you landed love?”
“Yeah, Mum says we’ll be about fifteen minutes.”
“I’d best go home and put the kettle on then, I’m just round at Gwen’s, we went to Chester this morning, no point taking two cars*. See you in a few minutes, bye love.”
“Bye, Gran.”
“Sounded complicated,” Mum observed as I re-stowed my phone in my Handtasche.
“Not really, she’ll have the kettle on.”
“I’m parched,” a voice mentioned from the rear seat.

“Egg and chips okay for tea?” Gran enquired as we reconvened after unpacking.
“Please,” I enthused.
“Fine, Mum,” Mum agreed.
“Amanda?”
“Er sure, any chance of scrambled instead of fried though?”
“I’m sure we can manage that, in fact I might join you. We can go to the Taj Mahal tomorrow, you’ll need a feed after being at the track all day.”

Cool, a proper Indian! You struggle to get anything beyond chicken madras at home.

The chips were real homemade things; I stuck with fried eggs and enjoyed every greasy mouthful. It’s not the sort of thing we have at home in Germany, it just doesn’t fit into our supposedly healthy menu, it’s not that we never have ‘pommes’ or even eggs but just not in the same meal. It doesn’t hurt occasionally and it certainly brings a smile to your face – as well as egg yolk!
As you know German TV is quite dire most of the time, there are a few passable programmes but mostly, well we don’t bother with it. It was therefore quite a novelty to watch some Saturday night TV UK style, even if it wasn’t great viewing. Dancing on Ice was okay I guess then we ended up watching the Winter Olympics coverage.

“I wonder if Jess made the team?” Mand and I dueted.

Of course that had us both in hysterics.

“Who’s Jess?” Gran asked.
“Jessica Simmonds, she’s a figure skater, they were training at Lilleshall last year when we were there,” Mand supplied.
“I’ve known her a few years, from when we used to go skating in Sheffield,” I added, “she helped me stand up.”
“Not seen any skating,” Gran noted, “There’s a guide in the rack Jen.”

Well apparently we’ve missed the figure skating stuff, it was last weekend, GB hadn’t scored any medals, I’ll have to email her to see how she is. If I remember, I’m terrible with stuff like that, hmm maybe I can just text her? Yeah, I’ll do that later. By the ten thirty news I was yawning, we have to be at the track for ten in the morning so we decided to call it a night.

“Okay, ladies,” Steve called out, “that’ll do.”

Mum was doing other stuff but Mand and me have spent the last hour or so being put through our paces on the track. We’ve not been alone out there; anyone can tip up, pay their dosh and ride on the Sunday morning session, just because we are with BC doesn’t give us any priority. We rolled down to the infield and dismounted.

“Well done, girls, bit rusty.”
“Not, huh, been on, huh, track since, huh, summer,” I gasped out.
“Put the bikes in the rack, then we’ll meet in room two, okay.”
“’Kay,” Mand agreed.

Steve went ahead leaving us to change footwear and collect our gear, my rainbow hooped skinsuit had certainly got a few looks, maybe recognition, apparently our team launch was in this week’s Comic. Have to try to get a copy to take home.

“That was pretty intense,” Mand noted as she towelled down.
“My legs are killing,” I admitted, “I suppose we have that VO² thing later.”
“Yeah,” Mand agreed.

Well apparently our turn on the exhaustion test would be Monday morning, the remainder of our Sunday was taken with giving samples and static testing of one sort or another. No one bit was particularly hard but the cumulative effect was tiring.

“Okay, guys, see you in the morning,” Steve told us about three thirty.
“Er yeah, is it just the VO² thing tomorrow?” I asked.
“That and Chris’ll go through the results with you, have a chat about this year’s programme and so on.”
“’Kay, see you tomorrow.”

We waited in reception for Mum to finish up; it was after four when we left to go back to Grans’.

“Table for four,” Gran requested.
“This way please, ladies,” the waiter requested.

The Taj Mahal was everything an Indian restaurant should be, poorly lit, flock wallpaper with an annoying soundtrack of tinkly bells in the background. We were escorted to a table in the window and seated before being handed the impressive menu cards – yeah, a real Indian.

“Nothing too hot now, Gaby, we don’t want any bad stomachs,” Mum instructed.
“And we’ve got the torture session in the morning,” Mand noted.
“Spoilsports.”
“Drinks, ladies please?” our waiter requested.

They had a set meal option which we agreed to go for, you get a variety of stuff to share, we had beef madras, chicken korma, lamb tikka and Gob Aloo with the trimmings of course, bhajis, Naan and samosas with the main course, popadoms with the chutneys and stuff and somehow we squeezed in sorbets before the coffee. And not a sign of a vindaloo worst luck.

“I’m well stuffed,” I sighed stretching out to ease my stomach.
“I can’t move,” Mand offered from opposite me.
“You did have two bhajis,” Mum pointed out.
“Couldn’t waste it,” I groaned.

I certainly didn’t feel like physical exercise would be possible anytime in the next week, it was a struggle to walk to the car. By the time we got back to Gran’s the feeling of exploding had reduced to mild heartburn and a need to visit the bathroom – urgently!

Maddy Bell 14.06.16

up
267 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Chicken madras

Podracer's picture

Shimla (now Shimlas) Great Horton Road, Bradford. First curry ever, f(cough) years ago. "Friends" were trying to convince me it was really tortoise..

"Reach for the sun."

couldn't

Maddy Bell's picture

Say for sure where or even when my own first 'proper' curry experience was. One thing I do know is that it came as a shock after having had 'Vesta's' for many of my formative years! Much like the first time I had real spag bol, surely the stuff in a tin was how it's supposed to be?

We had a Chinese take away / chip shop just around the corner so I have a long history of 'mucky' curry, sweet n sour and chow mein - oh and Pukka used to do a 'curry' pie which was essentially mucky curry in a pie shell - excellent! (the 'new' Korma pies are not a patch).

I've sampled 'Indian' restaurants from Orkney to Munich, cooked my own and survived others offerings but I nearly always end up with the same thing - Lamb Madras, Peshwari Naan and saffron rice! Bit like Gabs pepperoni pizzas!

Maybe we should hit a curry house next month Pod?


image7.1.jpg    

Madeline Anafrid Bell

Mouth watering already

Podracer's picture

I reckon we could get some good recommendations from the others, plenty of local knowledge.

CPG I don't like them quite that fiery! Like to be able to feel my lips afterwards ;)

"Reach for the sun."

"And not a sign of a vindaloo worst luck."

Have to agree with Gaby here, I loooove a real vindaloo. The spicier, the better.

What you get in many restaurants is watered down, much milder, so that the ordinary everyday person won't be harmed by eating it.

Full on spicy foods, like actual vindaloo and hot peppers can be trouble for people with ulcers, heartburn and other gastrointestinal issues.

I had the luck of finding a place many years ago, serving curries, etc., where you could get a full on vindaloo if you asked for it. I think I remember where it was, I guess I'm going to have to wander down that way to see if that restaurant is still there. If it is, mmmm mmmm good.

Ich Liebe Gaby

Alice-s's picture

I am a real Gaby fan. I really like everything about her. She has also inspired me to cycle harder. I have been doing longer runs on the road bike (Heresy for a mountain biker). I am now eyeing up a 100k sportife.

As for the curry debate. Depends. Most of the curry houses where I am are Bengali and you have the whole Madras thing. Birmingham is the king of this sort of curry, so if on a night out, head for Brum. However, some of the better Indian food, especially the veg variety is Leicester.

That said, you can't beat lard cooked chips with gravy. Yum.

;)

Indian Curry

My 1st forrays into curry was via Indian embassy dinner party in Moscow. I was stationed there in 1978 on U.S. Embassy duty. Prior to such my forrays into heavily spiced food was while actually being stationed in Japan, eating Sichuan in Korea ... My family elders were not spicy food eaters so it was rare I had such as child,and that included Mexican. If I had any it had been Americanized to point it rarely tasted near the authentic.
My 1st true Indian curries minus that party was after moving to Portland OR ... A downtown Indian restruant opened by a family. Their eldest son was brought in via Intell Corp. And whole family immigrated to Portland. They decided to open a place having family business back in India. I got hooked ...on various curries and spicing in ways I'd never been exposed.
To bad my tummy dictated me dialing spicy hot down here in later decades ... But yummy it twas.

Ford Kuga

Julia Miller's picture

I wondered what type of car that was, and found it's a Ford Escape CUV here in North America. I had an Escape, it's not tiny but by no means is it a huge car by North American standards, but will seat 4 comfortably.

Eating Ethnic

SuziAuchentiber's picture

The famous Chicken Tikka Masala was actually born in Glasgow when an Indian chef poured cream of tomato soup into his curry mix to make it milder and creamier and a new "staple" curry was made for thoise who couldn't cope with the "real thing". I lived in Solihull for a while and the neighbouring town of Shirley had a magnificent Chinese Restaurant which rejoices in the name "the Shirley Temple Restaurant". Worth going if only to ask for animal crackers in your soup . . . BTW I am crackers for Gaby and her story so keep those books coming !
Hugs and Kudos!

Suzi