Nora Midnight Part 18

Printer-friendly version

Author: 

Caution: 

Audience Rating: 

Publication: 

Genre: 

Character Age: 

TG Elements: 

TG Themes: 

Other Keywords: 

Permission: 

Nora had met with Principal Kramer and Vice Principal Bones to asked permission to have a few people she knew to come in and speak to the school about bullying. After she got their permission, she made a few phone calls. The call was to some hard-hitting people she knew and to some ex-gang members. She asked them if they could come and speak at the High school she teaches out.

There was one more person she knew would need to make an impression on the students. Someone who dealt in cyber-forensic. She takes her phone out and dials a number she hasn’t used in years.

“Hot sun beating down
Burning my feet just walking around.
Hot sun making me sweat
'Gators getting close, hasn't got me yet
I can't dance, I can't talk.
The only thing about me is the way I walk.
I can't dance, I can't sing
I'm just standing here selling everything.
Blue jeans sitting on the beach,
Her dog's talking to me, but she's out of reach.
She's got a body under that shirt,
But all she wants to do is rub my face in the dirt.
Cause, I can't dance, I can't talk.
The only thing about me is the way I walk.
No, I can't dance, I can't sing
I'm just standing here selling.
And checking everything is in place,
You never know who's looking on.
Young punk spilling beer on my shoes,
Fat guy's talking to me trying to steal my blues.
Thick smoke, see her smiling through.
I never thought so much could happen just shooting pool.
But I can't dance, I can't talk.
The only thing about me is the way I walk.
I can't dance, I can't sing
I'm just standing here selling”

Sharon Baker was listening to her favorite artist when her cell phone rings. She looks at the caller Id and notices it was Nora’s. She hasn’t spoken with Nora since she had gone to Germany to do a job for the ambassador she was protecting.

“Black Bird Forensics, what can I do for you, Nora?”

“Hi Sharon, are you busy right now?”

“Not really. I’m waiting for the program I’m running to finish.” Sharon takes a sip of her drink. She had several computers she was looking through to find images or anything that the person had, on child pornography. The person was arrested for selling and making pornography of children. The problem was, before the crime scene could be secure, he had activated an erase program. Which meant she was trying to retrieve information still left on the hard drives and hidden in places most law enforcement didn't look.

Nora could hear music in the background playing “hey, I got a favor to ask. Would you mind coming to the High school I teach at and explain to students how you can backtrack or find out who is cyberbullying people?”

“Hm, I don’t see why not. Does your school have a bullying problem?” Sharon knew what it was like to be bullied for being gay. She and Nora had been each other’s, first lovers.

“Yes, and I felt that maybe by scaring these teenagers letting them know we can track them, even if they used a false name and such. That they will be punished for their actions.”

“Let me guess, you called Big Tony, didn’t you?” Sharon knew Big Tony could make anyone wish they were dead after he got done with them.

“Yep, he had agreed to come in and speak. Also, I called Coreno 'The Shadow' Reo, Bradley 'The Snitch' Peddicord and Stefania 'Diamond' Leatherbury.”

“Dam, I didn't know you knew those people.” Sharon had heard about them.

Coreno was a mob enforcer, Bradley was a snitch for most of the law enforcement officers knew about and Stefania, she uses to belong to an
all-female gang. They called her Diamond, because of her love of diamonds.

“Yea, I knew them before I joined the DSS and kept in touch with them throughout the years. All of them have straightened out their lives and run successful businesses. I figure they could tell the teenagers at my school that a life of crime isn’t something they want to get caught up in.” Nora hopes the people she called in will help.

“Well, you can count me in. Are you still living in Memphis?”

“Yep, still living in Memphis. I just recently got married and adopted two teenage girls.”

“I would have never imagined you the domestic type of person.”

“Me neither, but these girls came along and my heart went out to them. Hey, did you and Debbie Connors ever tie the knot?” Nora remembers Debbie, she was the head cheerleader at their high school and came out being a lesbian after graduation.

“Yep, she’s an Accountant and has her own business. Who would ever imagine a former cheerleader being an accountant.” Sharon still thought it was weird.

“I thought she was going to be a professional Cheerleader with a football team and such.” Nora knew how much Debbie liked cheerleading.

“She did for about ten years, but she got tired of all the traveling and low pay she was getting. So, she went back to school and got her CPA degree. She started building up a client base and started her own business.”

“Well, I’m happy that you and she are still together. I know me, and you didn’t work out, but it was for the best.”

“I know, and you’ll always have a special spot in my heart, Nora. I’ll tell Debbie you said hi.”

“Thanks, Oh, the assembly is going to be in two days. Will that be okay for you?”

“That will be fine. Well, I have work to finish. I’ll see you in two days.”

“Okay.” Nora ends the call.

That was eight people she knew that have agreed to come in and speak to the students. The school had hired a few counselors to come in and speak with the students. Those who needed help could go and get help.

Ginger was talking to her counselor about what happened. Melody was seeing her counselor as well. She had come a long way since she came to live with them. She was proud of both her girls.

She was also proud of Darin Thompson. He has been showing up every day before and after school to bring his grades up in her class. So, far he was carrying a B average in her class and she checked with his other teachers. In his other classes, he was carrying B’s and A’s in a few of them. She figures if he keeps doing as well as he is, he’ll have a B average from her on his report card.

Nora finishes up grading the papers she had and head into the living room. Just as she walks in, Ginger, Kelly, and Melody coming walking in through the front door. Kelly stopped at Taco Bell and bought dinner for everyone.

Melody and Ginger were wearing their leotards. Even though Ginger got shot, she still took dance class with her sister. Melody loved taking dance class and liked her teacher as well. She looks over towards Nora with a big smile on her face.

“I take it you had fun this afternoon?”

“Melody has a solo part during our recital, mom.” Ginger looks at her younger sister.

Melody was happy as a clam. Their teacher was letting her do a solo part in the recital. She couldn't believe it when her teacher told her she was doing a solo.

“That is great news. When is your first recital?” Nora looks at both her daughters.

“In about a month. It’s going to be held at Chester Elementary school.” Ginger hands the paperwork she had been given to her mother. Kelly had already given them permission.

Nora looks over the paperwork, while the girls set the table. She noticed that Kelly has already given them permission to take part in it. There was a $40.00 fee for their costumes, which Nora would make out a check for tonight before going to bed.

Once the table was set, she sits down with her family and enjoys dinner.

*Song lyrics by Phil Collins, I Can't Dance

up
203 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Nothing quite like getting

Nothing quite like getting the real 'word' from the experts who have been there, done that, and 'have the t-shirt' so to speak.

This town has

a nwSheriff, meet me at midnight at the auditorium.

Scare stiff, or not believed

Jamie Lee's picture

After what happened to Troy and Ginger it might do some good to have those who've been there done that talk to the students.

Some will believe what will be said but there will be some who will believe "it won't happen to me." Those are the ones who need the straight talk that will be given.

Others have feelings too.