Alexa Chapter 38: Victory

Printer-friendly version

Alexa Chapter 38: Victory

It was almost here, and I couldn’t believe it! In a few short days, I will have graduated from college, though the significance had certainly changed since the day I entered the University of Minnesota. When I came here in September of 2014 I was the dweeby little video game playing guy who basically had one friend in the world. Now, not only do I still only have that one friend, but we are closer than ever. She has stood by me as I have gone through hell the last 20 months as I have transitioned into the woman I am today. She may have one down fall, she is dating my meathead brother, but that can be more than forgiven. If it wasn’t for Katie, I would not be the person I am today, I would probably still be that lonely boy looking for something more from life but because of Katie and the luck of the draw I met the most important person I will ever know.

That person however, was driving me nuts at the moment. Jenny was in the middle of preparing for her last final as I was trying to put the finishing touches on my Creative Writing final paper. She was pacing around the apartment trying to remember all the little nuances of behavioral health and mumbling to herself. I laughed at her once about it and thought that I had ended our engagement she was so mad at me. I tried to calm her, but it had not worked. “You can go write somewhere else Lex. Go out to the house if need be, but I will not be able to remember all this crap if I can’t use my method. So, be quiet and leave me alone!” She shouted. Rather than get upset, I began laughing which put Jenny in an even fouler mood.

It wasn’t much longer and Jenny was out the door and I was able to complete the final edit on the story about two American women running for their lives from terrorists in London. As I hit enter to begin the download to my advisor’s One Drive, I realized that my undergraduate career was over. In three days I would walk across the stage at Mariucci Arena and leave another part of my life behind me. But I was not lamenting this, I was eager to move on. The future held more excitement than I thought was even possible on that day I walked into Centennial Hall. When the confirmation that the download had been completed, I realized it was over. A new world was about to open for me. A world that included Jenny for the rest of time.

After pouring myself a celebratory drink, I sat back down and allowed myself to move on to the next source of stress in my life, the wedding. In fifty-two days, Jenny and I would be standing in front of our families and friends confirming our love for one another. And just as I was reaching for Jenny’s iPad to work on something else, our roommate came through the door, and began scolding me. “Don’t start in on that, because if you do you will get all stressed and you will make Jenny all stressed and we can’t celebrate!” I put the iPad down and went to the fridge and grabbed two beers for Katie and myself. “Can you believe that in two days, I will walk across the stage of Northrup and get pinned!”

“Um, yeah, I always knew you were going to make it out. I am just shocked that I made it out” I said as I picked at the label on my bottle. Katie gave me a sympathetic sigh and moved next to me on the couch. She put an arm around me.

“It’s been a strange trip, but we both made it out and look at us now. No longer are we those people who spend their whole lives in Faribault. We are about to be college graduates with a bright future in front of us! Though some of us didn’t win the lottery like you did.” Katie teased me. I giggled at her but launched in at her a bit.

“Yeah I got more than lucky, but you didn’t do too bad, you got the dope following you around like a lost puppy.” Katie laughed at my joke, but then I saw her expression change.

“Yeah, but how far will he follow me? I still haven’t heard about a job yet. Will he follow me to Duluth, Sioux Falls, Fargo?” Katie had applied with all the major health systems in the area looking for job, but still had not heard anything. I knew that it had been eating at her, but this was the first time she had expressed it. She shook her head as if to get the idea out of her head. “What are you going to do?” Katie asked trying to change the subject.

Now was my turn to be introspective. “I don’t know. Bridget says there is a job waiting for me at the foundation. It’s great work, but I am not sure I want to jump into the work force. Besides, Jenny and I have a busy summer planned. Going to Scotland in August. We have our honeymoon, plus, we are still waiting to hear if Jenny got accepted to the doctoral program. Who knows, maybe I will go back to school.” The smile I flashed at that was my attempt to lighten the mood and worked.

“Yeah right. But enough of this. We are done! We can worry about our future tomorrow. Tonight is a night to celebrate!” and we clinked our bottles together and took long pulls to get us ready for the night festivities. We were going out tonight, but not to some trendy bar. Tonight was going to be a typical college night. We figured we would join our fellow graduates in tearing up Dinkytown, and by the time Jenny got back we were well on our way.

I awoke the next morning in the living room chair, still in my clothes. My head was killing me, and I realized my arm was numb from the blonde girl cuddled into me. I let out a groan that could probably be heard all way down the hall as I began to recall the previous night. Jenny stirred next to me before letting out an “Oh my god!” and running to the bathroom. I lay in the chair debating whether I should get up and help or whether I should just lay here and die. The whimper I heard told me I better get up and take care of Jenny. I stumbled into the kitchen and grabbed a bottle of water before I went to the bathroom. I led her back to our room where I once again decided I was glad college was over before fading back into an alcohol induced slumber.

We struggled through Thursday night, but did head out to meet up with a few of my friends from my classes. We didn’t stay as long as we had planned but made our appearance and had a few drinks. Katie had stayed in as she was picking up the lunch shift on Friday since she wasn’t working all weekend. We had decided to head out to the lake and have lunch with Mary. Since she had returned from Florida, we had made a point of having lunch with her every Saturday. Since our Saturday was booked we chose today. Just as we were getting out of Jenny’s car, a pick up came pulling into the driveway pulling a boat. At first, I thought it was some dumb fisherman that was lost. Then I recognized the truck, and then I knew I was correct. Danny jumped out of the cab of the truck. “Good you two are here.” He said to us as we walked over. Jenny was a bit curious on what was happening, I though was more skeptical.

‘What do you want and what is that you are pulling?” I asked my brother as he walked up.

“Decided I needed to get my own boat. Plus, I am going to do the opener out here tomorrow morning and Marty said it would be OK if I docked it here for the weekend. So, I was hoping one of you could come with me to the landing and drive my truck back.” I let out a bit of a groan as I walked over to the boat. I began questioning him about where he got it and how much it cost. “I got it from Carter’s and it doesn’t matter it cost, unless you are going to pay for it.” And the grin came out. I went and changed into a pair of Wellies I had in the house and went with my brother over to the landing. I drove his truck back and went down to the dock to help him tie up. As we were coming up from the dock, Mary stuck her head out the door of her house.

“Ah Daniel, you are here. Come in and join us for lunch.” Mary ordered in her gentle way. Danny groaned quietly to me but turned on the charm by agreeing to Mary’s invitation. I started giggling over my brother’s reaction. When we entered the house, I could see Mary had been putting her granddaughter to work. The table was properly set and looked perfect. There was a collection of different sandwiches and a few salads, including a cold Italian pasta salad that was something that I loved. Mary knew I loved the pasta creation, so I wasn’t surprised that she had made it, but I still had to get under her skin a bit.

“So, did you do all this Mary, or did you call Mrs. Rosato and have her mix up a few salads?” I asked. Jenny rolled her eyes at me but couldn’t help but giggle a bit. This was how Mary and I express ourselves to one another. There was a special connection between Jenny’s grandmother and me. If anyone outside of us had heard the two of us, they would have thought we did not get along. But the families knew this was me and Mary being me and Mary.

“Don’t start with me young lady. Danny didn’t your mother teach you and your sister about respecting your elders?” Mary said as she entered the dining area from the kitchen.

“Yeah, I mean, yes, she did, but some people just didn’t get it.” Danny said, starring at me the whole time. I stuck my tongue out at my brother and told him to shut up, which was instantly returned. Jenny warned Danny to be nice to his sister and for once Danny kept his mouth shut. Jenny sat in shock that she had shut my brother up.

Lunch was very good, and I think Danny was appreciative of it, though I don’t know how appreciative he was of the direction of the conversation. “Daniel, now that Katie is done with school, are you finally going to make an honest woman of that lovely young girl?” Danny mumbled something under his breath. “Excuse me? Did you say something Danny?” Mary asked. Danny looked up and saw both Jenny and I looking on expectantly and working hard to suppress a giggle fest.

“Un, I um,” Danny babbled. “I am waiting to see where Katie gets a job. I still have part of a business to run. Its not like I could just pick up and move.” Danny reluctantly stated. He quickly excused himself, saying he needed to get back to the apartment and get ready. “Thank you very much for lunch Mary.” He said nothing to me and Jenny, as we continued to fight the giggles. Danny quickly moved out of the boat house. As soon as he was out of the house, Mary turned to look at Jenny.

“You owe me $20.” She said starring at her granddaughter who got up to get her purse. I asked what that was about. “I bet your girlfriend here that I could get it out of Danny that he was thinking about asking Katie to marry him. Jennifer didn’t think I could do it. I won” Jenny reluctantly handed over a $20 bill to her grandmother and flopped down next to me. Mary playfully acted like she was going to put it into her bra but stopped and placed it on the table. “That will teach you to doubt me young lady.” Mary told her granddaughter. Jenny continued to groan while Mary gloated over her winnings.

We spent a little more time with Mary, before making our own way back to the apartment so we could get ready. Katie was no where to be seen, but I could hear Danny singing away in the bathroom. I let out a noise like a buzzer, trying to get him to stop, but it didn’t work. He strutted out the bathroom still singing away. I had my back turned to him trying to organize something. I caught Jenny out of the corner of my eye. She was standing there with mouth open. I spun and saw Danny there still singing away and adjusting the cuffs of his ‘light purple’ shirt under the grey suit Jenny had ‘bought’ for him at Christmas. He was all smiles as he stood before the stunned looks of Jenny and me. Katie came out of the bedroom, looking beautiful in her red dress. “I keep forgetting to thank you two for getting Danny this suit” she said. The smile she flashed at us was wonderful. I knew right there that it was only a matter of time before these two were engaged. Then the smile faded as Katie glanced at her phone, “Hurry up you two, Barb will be here any minute!” We took the cue from our big sister and raced off to get ready.

Barb was sitting in the living room when Jen and I came out. I could see she had cornered Danny and Katie was nowhere to be seen. Barb was happy to see us, and Jenny and I exchanged hugs with or roommate’s mother. Jenny though began the fun of the night. “So, Danny, getting Barb’s permission to ask for Katie’s hand?” She teased her future brother-n-law. I tried not to laugh too hard, but Danny just growled at Jenny. She leaned over and kissed him on the cheek, just to further make him mad before moving off to the kitchen. “Lex? You want something?” she called out in a cheery voice. She returned shortly with a beer for Barb and a glass of wine for herself and me.

“Nothing for me?” Danny asked. Jenny played dumb.

“Oh, I’m sorry. Did you want something Danny?” Another growl came from my brother, who started to get up before Jenny produced a beer she had kept out of sight. Barb just laughed at the antics.

“I always thought the teasing around here would be between Alexa and Danny. But you two are even worse than brother and sister.” I informed Barb that it was usually a two on one match, but I was being nice today. We were joined by Katie shortly, who had been finalizing her make up and getting her cap and gown ready and after finishing our beverages, we were off to Northrup Auditorium where the ceremony would be for the School of Nursing. Katie left the rest of us to go take her place with her fellow nursing students and we all took our seats. I could see how proud Barb was as she sat there and took it all in. After a moment I could see her reach for a Kleenex and dab her eyes. I asked her if she was OK. “I’m fine Alexa. I just can’t believe Katie is actually graduating. Do you know she will be the first one on either side of the family to have graduated from college? Not only that but she has a good boyfriend. Its just like everything I had ever hoped for her when I was pulling those crappy shifts is coming true.” I patted Barb’s hand to show her I understood, but she continued. “Not only that but she has the two best sisters anyone can have.” That was my cue to reach for a tissue.

The ceremony was the boring ritual almost all of them are, but the four of us did break a bit of decorum as we cheered when Katie walked across the stage. I am not sure if she cringed at that or that her full name was used, “Kathleen Elizabeth Fahey.” I think I felt as much pride as her mother did at that announcement. I knew what Katie had been through, and after all she had done for me and Jenny, the sight of her in a cap and gown receiving that diploma was one of the best feelings I had ever experienced. Barb noticed my smile and gave me a hug.

Barb had the camera out after the ceremony, and we stood on the mall taking pictures like hundreds of other families. Danny got sucked into several of them, much to his dismay and Jenny volunteered to take one of the two Fahey’s. And the smiles on their faces were huge and real, but that wasn’t the best one. That was one that was just me and Katie. We had come here four years ago as brother and sister pitted against the world and now we were leaving as two sisters ready to take on the world. “Thanks Lex.” Katie said as we hugged after the picture was taken. I couldn’t have done it without you.” And as we stood their crying and hugging I realized that this all was almost over. We were becoming adults.

Sleeping that night proved to be difficult. I kept thinking back to when I first came to the University of Minnesota, and how nervous I was. I knew Katie and that was it. There were a handful of people from Faribault here, but none that I was friendly with. There were times those first few years I felt so alone, but then came that day in October of my junior year. No not the day I discovered I was Alexa, but a few days later. The day that I won the lottery with the snoring blonde lying next to me. And now I had two friends for life, granted one of them was more than a friend, but a friend none the less. I had entered this school 4 years prior with one friend, now I was leaving with a sister and a soulmate. Jenny woke and looked at me, “You OK babe?” I could only smile and tell her I was fine.

“Your snoring woke me up.” I told her as I gave her a light kiss on the cheek and cuddle back into her, in a dreamy state, she again told me she doesn’t snore and wrapped her arms around me. I drifted off with my best friend holding me and made for a great way to end a day. It also made for a great way to start the next day. But the moment of bliss was interrupted by my phone ringing. And not just any ringing, but the ring tone announcing that my day was not going to be all celebrating.

“Good morning college graduate” my mother said in a cheery tone, a tone much too peppy for this early in morning. I groaned and could hear a giggle from Jenny a she buries her head into my chest. “Are you two all ready for your big day? She asks, and I told her we were. “Well you two, I will be up for a pre-ceremony lunch so you two better get up and get ready. I will see you around noon.” I hit end and tried to rest my head back against the pillow and catch a little more sleep, but someone would not let me.

“Get up Lex.” Jenny whispered into my ear and I tried to ignore her. Soon the whisperings turned to commands Then the tickling started. “Come on lazy bones get up!” Jenny implored. I was laughing so hard I was forced to get up. Realizing that it was nearly 9:00, we figured we better get going and get organized for the invasion of Charlotte. And even though she had been here several times, I still wanted things perfect. After some fruit and our morning coffee, Jenny and I set to work. By 11 AM the house was cleaned, we were showered and dressed for graduation and waiting for my mother. We even had gotten Katie up and gotten her ready. As usual, mom arrived about10 minutes early than she had said. This was a good thing until we realized there was a problem.

‘Where is your brother?’ Mom asked me. I looked at Katie before telling her he was fishing. Mom then looked at Jenny and asked if Marty was showing up.

“I think so. Let me call him and see where he is.” Jenny states and picks up her phone. As Jenny was waiting for her father to pick up, Mary arrived to join us. Jenny hung up the phone and looked at her grandmother. “Have you seen Daddy today?” Mary told her she had not. It was then when Jenny’s phone rang “Daddy, where are you?” she asked without even a hello. A confused look came over her face “OK. We will see you two there. Bye” She hangs up the phone I ask her what was going on. She looks at me and then over at Katie. “He is riding in with Danny and they will see as at the restaurant.” We all shake our heads a bit, before heading over to Sally’s for lunch. Just as we were seated, Marty and Danny came through the door. That was when one the first bombs of the day was dropped.

“Sorry we are late, but the walleyes started hitting about nine o’clock.” Marty said as he took his seat. Mom and Katie shot looks at Danny while Mary did the same to her son. Jenny and I were confused. A puzzled Jenny asked her father to repeat what he had just said. “I was looking at Danny’s boat out the window last night. I used to enjoy fishing when I was a kid, so I went and got a license and a rod and reel. And talked Danny into letting me tag along. It was actually a great morning.’ Marty said with a big smile. It was now my turn to shoot the evil looks at my brother. But instead of cowering like he had with Mom and Mary, he gave me his typical grin.

After our light lunch and dealing with the fallout of the new fishing buddies, Jenny and I took our leave of the group and made the short walk across campus to the Sports Pavilion, where the groups were lining up for graduation. When we entered the building, we were shocked at the number of people who had decided to take the walk across the stage to receive their diplomas. We knew by reputation a lot of people blew this off, but not today. Katie had gotten lucky when she only had to walk with about 250 students for the school of nursing, there had to be around 4,000 people getting ready to graduate. We went to our respective majors to line up for the ceremony. This proved to be a long process of checking in and finding where to go. It became longer still because I was away from Jenny. Sure I had some classmates to talk to, but I wasn’tt really friends with a lot of them. And I think Jenny was going through the same thing because the text messages were flying in from her. It was good way to kill time before the ceremony, while trying to keep calm.

At 3:40 the process began. One by one, each major was directed to begin the march over to Mariucci Arena for the ceremony. It was then that I finally got to see Jenny and the wave and the smile on her face were a welcome sight. I wasn’t nervous for this ceremony, more anxious than anything. Surprisingly the affair started right on time. After the various opening remarks by the President and some of the other big wigs of the school we all sat and listened to a boring commencement speech by some CEO of a computer firm. But thankfully he didn’t ramble on. It was now time for the graduates to make their walk across the stage. Slowly, the various departments were introduced and those making the walk were announced. By the time they got to the English Department, I began to get a bit nervous. And the nervousness grew as I approached the stage. Finally, I was standing there waiting for my name to be called and I was almost a wreck. Then I heard it.

“Alexa Marie Quinn”

I froze. Who is Alexa Marie Quinn? I don’t remember her. Did she transfer in? The girl behind me, Brooklyn Randall gave me a bit of a shove and I walked out. But what shocked me was there were people standing and cheering. My astonishment was broken when I heard from the crowd “Love you Lex!” That could only be one person. I accepted my diploma from Dr. Hubbard and began to move off, but before I could get off the stage, President Kahler stood up and shook my hand! What is going on? I don’t deserve all of this!

I was still a bit astonished over what had just happened when I took my seat. I could see most of the English graduates clapping as I came by and for maybe the first time in 4 years I truly felt part of this institution. I sat back and soaked it in. This was the first time I felt part of larger group in my whole life, but those feelings didn’t stop me when Jenny was announced. Just like Jenny had done for me, I made my presence known even more. Jenny somehow saw where I was sitting, and we blew kisses at each other. I couldn’t have felt prouder. After the traditional tossing of the caps, I made a beeline for Jenny. We couldn’t care less that there were thousands of classmates around us. We just wanted to share this moment together. And that is where our respective families found us.

“Enough of that you two.” Mom chastised us, though with a smile. She began leading us out of the vast arena and out to the front of the building, where thousands of more parents, boyfriends and girlfriends urged the thousands of recent grads to pose for photos. We took some with each of our parents individually and together plus the three of us girls. The ones that I was excited for were the ones I had taken of just me and either Marty or Mary. I told Mary I was going to blow up the one of her and me together.

“What, to scare the rats?” She asked jokingly, but when we were walking along together, she gave me a slight hug. “I have already asked your mother for that picture and the one of you, Jenny and myself. Those will probably be the most important pictures I have.” I lost it. Mary hugged me a bit before playfully chastising me to pull it together.

As part of the Thompson Family tradition, the graduates are feted to a dinner at the Alumni Club by Mary. This one was going to be a little different because, as Mary put it, “two of my granddaughters graduated” and she invited my mother as well as Danny and Katie to join us. This was going to be fun! This group in a fancy restaurant. Mom would be all dramatic and Danny would be confused. I had the feeling I was going to be all embarrassed by my family. Jenny picked up on it, somehow, “It will be OK babe. I’ll keep an eye on Danny and make sure he uses the right fork.” She flashed me her huge smile and I turn gave her a little hip check. As I pulled her in for a little one arm hug, I wondered if she will still be reading my mind 70 years from now.

I could here a little gasp from my mother as we entered the reception area of the club from the elevator. The view of Minneapolis and the western suburbs was spectacular from the 50th floor of the iconic tower. Mom instantly went to the window and looked out. Jenny followed her over and as the two looked out I saw Jenny whisper something to mom and she nodded. Meanwhile, I watched Danny as he looked around at the rich wood paneling and leather furniture that adorned the welcoming area. The carpenter in him must have taken control and he gave out a little whistle and an up-nod. He was definitely impressed. The admirations for the surroundings was interrupted by the Maître’D

“Good evening Mrs. Thompson, so good to have you with us again and Mr. Thompson, always a pleasure. Your table is waiting if you will follow me, please.” The man in the very expensive looking suit said as he guided Mary and then mom to the table as the rest of us trailed behind. As we were making our way thru the dining room, I elbowed Danny and whispered to him to remember to hold out the chair for Katie. He gave me a nervous nod and told me mom had said the same thing to him. We arrived at a large round table next to the main window and after Mary took her spot, Jenny and I maneuvered ourselves around the back of the table to allow the rest a chance to take in the view, this put me between Katie and Jenny. This might have been a mistake because the three of us could not stopping talking and laughing throughout the meal. The fun part was Mary, who was on the other side of Jenny joined in at times. Our parents and Danny would occasionally give us looks like they were annoyed but we had our great protector with us so we were safe to carry on.

“You three leave these girls alone. They just graduated so if the want to let off a little steam, let them.” Mary informed them. We of course couldn’t let that go, including Katie who told her boyfriend to relax several times as we turned up the laughter a little more. As the meal went on, the other three did join in with the laughter and storytelling. But that fun time was disrupted by the one person who seemed to be able to put a wet blanket on anything.

“Well look who we have here.” Marilyn slurred as she stumbled over to our table. “I do not know you, young man, but the rest of you. Nothing but trouble. So, who are you? The little fairy’s boyfriend?” Marilyn said as she walked up to the table. A man I had seen around the Country Club a few times was with Jenny’s mother, had opted to stand back from his escort for the night. He had a bit of a concerned look on his face as Marilyn launched her newest attack on her family.

“Marilyn, you’re drunk.” Marty addressed his estranged wife as he moved towards her. Looking over at her companion “Tim get her out of here” He said to Marilyn’s companion. Marilyn shot back at Marty and the two began a war of words.

Jenny was a wreck as her parents continued to argue, I put an arm around her and she collapsed into me. I held the love of my life as the normally unflappable woman lost it. “Oh, what is your problem Jennifer? Have you become a crier like the little fruitcake here?” I didn’t even acknowledge the woman, until I heard skin on skin and Marilyn squealing. Jenny stopped crying. We both looked up, half expecting to see my mother delivering a message but were shocked to see who it was.

“You will not talk to my family that way you little drunken whore. My son bailed you out of jail for drunken driving on Easter and this is how you repay him? You tear him away from his girls on a holiday because you were dumb enough to get behind the a wheel of a car and then the next time you see him, you come up and berate him and your daughter? Get the hell out of here.” Marty said nothing as his mother took control. I had never seen such anger in the woman in my whole time I had known her. Marilyn was not one to back down, she reached back to take her own swing, but it was stopped, this time by my mother.

“I have now met you twice and I didn’t think someone could be as rude as you were the last time, but I will have to say you surprised me. I think it would be best if you left. Right now!” The teacher/mad mom voice echoed through out the dinning room. I could see people who I recognized from the news that were considered leaders in the community just stare at the confrontation, but it appeared to be with disdain at Marilyn. Mom wasn’t through though. She tightened her grip for a second, “And if you ever, EVER say another mean thing to those two over there again, you will be more than sorry.” Mom released her grip on Marilyn and stood there staring down my fiancée’s mother. For the first time I saw fear in Marilyn’s eyes. She turned and stormed out of the club, her date trailing quickly.

As we sat down, I saw Danny and Katie trying to conceal laughter, but failing. Mom, Mary and Marty all gave them a funny look. Jenny was still trying to compose herself and didn’t see what those two were doing, but I knew, and I just shook my head. Marty asked what was so funny. Katie spoke up. “I thought Mary and Char were about to double team her Mr. T. You know like pro wrestling. Maybe Mary would take a chair to Mrs. T, or something. Maybe Char off the top of the table.” That got Jenny giggling away in my chest. Mom try to chastise her son and his girlfriend but started giggling on her own. Mary and Marty both smiled, I patted Katie on the shoulder in a form of thanks. Once again, the big sister comes through. We sat back and enjoyed some desert and more conversation.

The next week and a half was one of the best times ever. We did absolutely nothing except eat sleep, shop and party. Even Katie was in on the action. She was going to work this coming weekend at AJs and then was going to be done. The only thing we had to take care of was a Skype call on Wednesday to Nikki in honor of her day. We had arranged for a special romantic dinner for Nikki and Sarah and had gotten ahold of the rest of the girlies to make sure that all the things were taken care of. We even made sure we had champagne on our end to toast Nikki on this special day. Nikki seemed to be in a great mood, and Sarah was all smiles as she relived the events of the night. We let them go so not to interrupt any further festivities, besides we heard the call of another Sarah.

The following Wednesday was going to be a tiring day. Jenny and I woke up early for our meeting with the minister who would be performing our wedding. We drove down to the Armatage neighborhood in Southwest Minneapolis to meet up with him. A few months back when Jenny and I had started to make our plans, the thought of who should officiate it became a stumbling point. The Thompson’s were not regular church people and the Pastor at the church they did attend services at on the holidays was against same sex marriage. And having a priest from ANY Catholic church was out of the question as well. Then Jenny remembered something and began digging through one of her many purses, looking for a something. “Good luck babe. I guess I am going to do some reading for class while you go through the 100 or so purses you own” I said. This earned a small evening bag be tossed at my head and a reprimand from my partner. Eventually Jenny had found what she was looking for and we placed the call. Now we were here, four months later standing in front of an unassuming bungalow a few blocks from Lake Harriet.

“Alexa, Jenny please come in” the smiling man said as he held the door open for us to come in.

“Hi Father Brian” I said out of habit as we passed him into the house.

“What did I say about that Alexa” he said with that same smile that he had used that first time I had met him what seemed like a lifetime ago. It was one of understanding and acceptance. That warmth and the fact that he was no longer a priest made Brian a perfect choice. We had talked on the phone a few times, but now that school was over, we finally were getting our chance to sit down with him. “Please sit down. Would either of you care for some coffee?” He asked. He poured us each a cup and joined us at the dining room table. “So, are you two getting nervous yet?” he asked, and we told him no. He teased us a bit that it will come, and we proceeded to discuss what we wanted to do with our wedding.

“Are you looking to go the traditional route or is there something more modern you want to try?” Brian asked. We were dumbfounded. As much discussion and planning as we had put into everything for a wedding, we hadn’t really discussed the actual ceremony. Brian just smiled and began asking some questions of Jenny and her religious background. He looked at me and said he didn’t need to know mine and even as he teased me I felt that warmth all over again. After Jenny went over her background a bit, Brian took control. “I have not yet done a wedding since I left the church, so if the things I propose sound a bit too religious, let me know. But I do have some ideas of what would make for a nice service.” And he proceeded to out line them. Jenny and I made a few comments on what we wanted, and the things we wanted to include, like that we wanted to do our own vows which he was more than encouraged us to do. I knew I wanted to include some religion in the wedding, not just to appease my mother but for me as well.

“How do we do any Bible readings, I mean how do we pick those out? There isn’t a lot out there for situations like ours, is there?” I asked. Brian smiled and then went into teacher mode.

“The Bible is not a historical account. It is a book of teachings and interpretation of what was written, and that has been going on for centuries. You will know this as well as anyone Alexa. Do you remember a few years back when the Creed and prayers said at Mass were changed?” I nodded. “That was the results of further interpterion by the scholars of the church. We can take some of the standard readings and modify them.” It was an interesting response and he began to go through some readings with us and showed what the original scripture said and then what we could adjust it to. This information really perked both of us. The thoughts we had at Winchester Cathedral, about not being able to profess our love before a clergyman, were slowly disappearing.

We finished going over a few other things like music and what Brian would need at the Lake. We showed him some pictures of where we were going to hold the ceremony and he seemed excited by it. “This will be a first. You think you can get me out on the lake?” He asked.

“Bring Faith along some time and we will take you out in the big boat and cruise the lake for the day.” Jenny replied. We said our goodbyes and made arrangements to meet up with him again next week after we had a chance to go over a few more things. As we were driving off, Jenny turned and looked at me. “Aren’t you glad I never throw things out?” There was nothing I could say to that comment.

We made our way out to the lake after that. We were having lunch with Mary and going over the final plans for this weekend’s Thompson Memorial Weekend party. With Marilyn not around, the planning had fallen to Mary to keep the tradition going and she was ‘training’ the two of us to take over. The training mostly consisted of Mary giving us little tasks to do then reporting back to her with our results. Thankfully, school had kept us out of a lot of the planning, but we still did what we could. We were a little surprised that lunch was to be in the main house today rather than down at the boat house where Mary lived. When we entered the dining room after chatting with Martha for a bit we found out why.

Spread across the table were various folders, each with at least three post it notes attached to it. Mary was floating around the table and looking at folders then after jotting down some notes, put the folder on the table. She looked up “Girls. You are here. Sit down, we have lots to go through.” Mary ordered. I looked at Jenny for a second in fear. What were we about to get ourselves into?

“What is all of this stuff, Grandma?” Jenny asked. A clearly frustrated Mary slapped down a folder on the table and looked up at the two of us with a look of frustration and anger.

“This is all the plans for the party. Everything that needs to be done. The caterers, the tent people, security, the entertainment, the valets, the wait staff. Everything. I don’t know what your mother did to all this Jennifer, but she sure made a mess of things. I am glad I am not doing this after this year. You two will oversee this from now on. Sit down and we will begin going over all this.” Martha brought out a pot of coffee and we began going through everything. Jenny commented that she had no idea how much went into the party. ‘Well believe it you two. It was always a big deal to your grandfather and your father has taken it to another level. You must realize that this is not only a party but a business meeting writ large.”

And as much as the two of us were both willing to take over party, we were almost overwhelmed by the job. After about an hour and a half of planning, Jenny raised the white flag. “Can we stop grandma? I think we have everything. I am beat, and I am worried that if we think through any more of this, we will mess something up.”

“A little too much for you, young lady? Wait until next week when we finalize everything for the wedding.” Mary said. Jenny looked at me in terror. Out the corner of my eye I could see a smile begin to form on Mary face. I couldn’t help but start smiling myself.

“Ugh! You two.” Jenny groaned as she reached over and gave me a slap on the arm. I feigned pain and got the make up kiss I was hopping for. Mary though was not forgiven. “When are you going to stop teasing me grandma?” Jenny asked with a pout. Mary gave an answer that made me giggle and earn another slap.

“Never”

We settled in to lunch and talked some more, though casually, about the party as well as our upcoming wedding. Mary announced she wanted to go out on the lake for a ride. “We can take you Mary.” I announced. Mary looked at me as if I was crazy.

“You two are going to take me out?” She asked. We nodded and told her we could in the runabout and she seemed to relax. She told us to go get ready and we took off to put on some shorts rather than the skirts we were wearing. We grabbed some coats and met Mary on the way to the dock. As we approached it, I noticed a third boat tied to the dock and let out a groan.

“Did Danny leave his boat here the whole time?” I asked out loud. A deep voice from behind answered the question,

“No, he didn’t, that’s my new baby.” A proud Marty said. Jenny and I turned with a dumbfounded look on our faces. “What?” we both asked simultaneously. “Yep. That’s mine” Marty informed us. We looked over at Mary for an explanation, but she just began shaking her head and threw her hands up. We tuned back to Marty. “I forgot how much I enjoyed fishing. It’s so peaceful out there and when you land one, you really feel the adrenaline. So, I figured, Why not?” Marty stood their as proud as a peacock while I groaned. I started to have flashbacks of my father dragging me out on a lake. Marty picked up on this. “Don’t worry Alexa, I will ask not order you two to come out with me. What are you three doing down here if not to look at my new boat?” Marty asked. Now was my turn to tease him.

“Oh, we were just going to take Mary for a spin around the lake on the house boat” I said nonchalantly and began getting on the 33-foot cruiser. Marty had no problem with Jenny and I taking the runabout out but not the big boat.

“Oh no you aren’t.” he said forcefully. Jenny began laughing.

“Oh relax, daddy. We were just going to take the runabout out. Do you want to come?” She asked her father, who decided to join us. I hopped behind the wheel of the 20-foot mahogany boat while Jenny took control of the lines. We both kind of saw this as a test, and it was one we passed with flying colors as was evident by the nods we saw Marty gave us we got underway and took the boat out into the bay. We enjoyed a very relaxing afternoon on the lake and even decided to stop in at Lord Fletcher’s for some dinner. Jenny decided to be a teetotaler and took command of the boat for the return ride back to the house. As we were docking back at the estate, Marty commented to me how Jenny never had any interest in taking the boat until I came around.

“I don’t know if that’s a good thing or a bad thing.” He said which earned him a reprimand to be nice from his daughter and a big hug and kiss for me from the same wonderful person.

The weekend finally arrived and for the second time in three days. Jenny and I were up at the crack of dawn. Well OK, eight AM, but that was early for the two of us. We had limited our Thursday night fun because there were so many things that had to be done. First off, there was the packing, “Let’s just pack all of the summer stuff now” Jenny said, but I came back we didn’t have the room in the car. “Well if somebody didn’t buy everything they saw at Ridgedale, maybe there would be some room.” Jenny told me. This caused me to launch a pair of socks in her direction. “Watch it there missy” Jen warned me before part of a swim suit was launched in my direction. I moved over towards her and grabbed ahold. After a bit of a wrestling match, a tickle fight broke out. We collapsed on to the bed laughing away.

“Do you think we will still be like this when we are old?” I asked my soon to be wife. Before Jenny could answer another person threw in her two cents.

“God, I hope not” Katie said as she passed the room. Katie’s little shot got us going and we made our decisions and tried to limit ourselves to taking three suit cases. We poured ourselves some travel mugs of coffee and hauled our luggage down to my car. We loaded up and began our journey through the construction zones of Minneapolis and out to the lake. We were just coming up on the Lowery Tunnel, when Jenny’s phone rang. It was Mary and after a brief conversation Jenny hung up and turned to me. “Little detour. Grandma’s driver is sick, so she asked if we could go pick Uncle Rob up at the airport.”

“Is there room?” I asked and was answered with a tongue being stuck out at me, which I promptly returned. After a little maneuvering, I had pointed us in the direction of the airport. After parking the car, we went in and began scouring the baggage claim area for Jenny’s Uncle. As we were looking at the arrivals board, a voice came from behind.

“You two skipping town?” we heard. We turned to find the youngest of Mary’s children with a huge smile on his face and open arms. We both gave Rob a hug as we welcomed him ‘home’. “What happened to Louis? I thought he was picking me up?” We told him about Louis and he took in stride. “Well, let’s get going then. I miss the lake.” We led Rob out to the car and after some maneuvering, we found room for Rob’s bag, though there wasn’t much room left. I started to get in the back seat, letting Jenny drive.

“What are you doing?” she asked, and I explained I was letting her drive. “Oh no. It’s your car, you drive. Besides, its just Rob.” Rob protested the tease but smiled and got in the car. I got behind the wheel and we made our way out of the ramp and on to 494 and the traffic that never seemed to lessen on this road. Rob began asking how everyone was doing and how graduation had gone. Jenny and I filled him in on all the gossip. When Marty’s most recent’ purchase was brought up, Rob let out a huge laugh. “He goes fishing once in 10 years then goes out and buys himself a fishing boat. We have to stop so I can get a license” And Rob directed us to a bait shop just outside of Navarre. Rob was old friends of the owner and after getting his license and buying a new rod and real, we were finally on our way to the house.

“Where have you three been?” an agitated Mary asked as we piled out of the car. Rob went over and gave his mother a kiss before explaining where we had stopped. Mary shook her head at the mention of the boat. “I still don’t know why he had to buy that. Just a waste of money. The runabout was fine for your father and I.” Rob tried to tell his mother to go easy on his older brother and the two began heading down to the beach house while Jenny and I brought our suitcases up to our room before joining the other two for lunch. After we ate, Rob insisted on seeing the boat. As we were waking out, another fishing boat could bee seen pulling up. I let out a groan.

“Who is this, some local guy who stops by? Rob asked. I answered no, it was my brother. “Your brother? About time I met him.” We waited for him to pull up and he began telling me to tie him up. Jenny jumped on him right away.

“Where is Katie?” she asked. “Do you always forget the women in your life?” Danny told her to relax, that Katie was driving the trailer over and she would be here shortly, but Jenny wouldn’t let up. “You made her drive the truck over? Nice boyfriend you are.” Jenny said only to be given the glare by Danny. After he powered down and was on the dock, I was finally able to introduce my brother and Rob. The two hit it off immediately, which is what I was scared of. It wasn’t long before Katie arrived, along with Jenny’s father. The three of us decided to leave the boys to their fishing boats and we went into get our orders for tomorrow’s party.

When we woke up on Saturday, I don’t know who was more nervous, me or Jenny. We both realized that we were now moving from being just one the next generation to the forefront as we took on the hostess duties. We dressed a little more conservatively than we normally would, but still looked good in our light summer dresses. The forecast was for it to be in the nineties today, which was to be the first issue we would have to deal with. I began getting nervous that there would not be enough shade for people to hide in. Jenny began giving orders to some of the workers to move things around in the great room to make space for some tables for those who wanted to truly escape the record setting heat.

Before we knew it, the first guests began to arrive. Flanking Marty on either side, Jenny and I greeted the guests who seemed to never end. By the time most of guests had arrived, nearly an hour had passed, and I felt like I had soaked through my dress it was so hot out. Jenny felt the same way. “I need to change” she said. Once again proving she can read minds. We disappeared inside and changed into something a little more lightweight as we looked for ways to battle the oppressive heat. When we came back down, we found Katie hanging out with Julie and joined the two in a discussion about summer plans. As we chatted with the two, a ruckus could be heard from the house.

“This is MY party and I will come to it if I damn well please” Marilyn screamed at the security man. Marty came rushing up and tried to intervene, but Marilyn just brushed past him and entered the throng of attendees. It was weird, people just seemed to give her the cold shoulder as she tried to talk with them. Marty continued to try and stop his estranged wife as she attempted to chat with the various guests. As she walked along, she was weaving a bit and as we got closer, we noticed she was slurring a bit.

‘Great, she is drunk again.” Jenny said in disgust. She grabbed my hand and pulled me along as she went to confront her mother. We approached Marilyn just as she was reaching the bar. Marilyn proceeded to order a Vodka Gimlet. Marty told the bartender no, but Marilyn spun and faced down her husband.

“You have no control over me! If I want a drink, I will have a drink!” Marilyn screamed at Marty and spun around back to the bartender. That was when Jenny inserted herself.

“Mother, no. It looks like you have had enough to drink already.” Jenny said. Marilyn just stared her down for a second. At that moment, Loraine Hamilton, the lawyer’s wife, came up to the bar to order something. It appears she was unaware of what had been going on. Marilyn turned towards the woman and turned on the charm.

“Loraine! How good to see you. Hope you are staying cool in this heat. Are you enjoying yourself?” The slurring was unbelievable. How could this woman be so drunk at 11:30 in the morning? What happened next was unbelievable.

“Hello, Marilyn. Why are you here? You bring nothing but pain to these people.” Mrs. Hamilton said gesturing to us, before turning and gesturing to the rest of the crowd at the party goers. “And I bet you can count on one hand the people you haven’t alienated by your behavior…and drinking.” That may have been the last straw for Marilyn. She spun and faced Jenny and me, fire shooting out of her eyes. We braced for the incoming storm.

“You little bitches! You two have ruined my life, especially you, you little homo! This family was working fine before you came along.” Marilyn said, and then she reached to slap me, but before she made contact, Marty placed hand between her palm and my face and stopped Marilyn from making contact. He grabbed her by the wrist and pulled her to face him.

“Stop that Marilyn! What is wrong with you? This family was not fine. You and I didn’t talk anymore. I was too involved with work and you were too involved with the bottle.” Marty said. I figured it was time for me to say something. I could feel Jenny try and pull me back and Marty even tried to step in between me and Marilyn.

“If it makes you feel better, go ahead and blame me for all your problems. All I know is that both Marty and Jenny were concerned enough to try and get you help, and how did you repay them? By deceit and anger.” Marty tried to stop me but no one was stopping me. “No Marty” I told him before returning to Marilyn. I was surprised at how even I was keeping my voice and temper as I returned to addressing Marilyn, even as she launched in to me again.

“Why you fucking little faggot!” She screamed. I braced myself to be hit, but surprisingly she didn’t not make a move.

“Faggot?” I asked with a chuckle. “I guess you are right. I am a woman in love with a woman. A woman who is the most caring and loving person in the world.” I turned and looked at Jenny. There was no fear in her eyes, only pride and the smile she flashed was the one that always warmed my heart. “This family has accepted me for who I am. Why can’t you?”

Marilyn’s face was as red as any face I had seen. Even redder than my father’s had been when Danny had run into his precious pickup with a skid steer loader. The volcano that was Mount Marilyn exploded “Why you pathetic little freak! You can not speak to me that way! Where does a little fairy get off on talking to me that way!” Before I could even respond, another man stepped forward to stop Marilyn’s assault. This was a man I knew was here, but one who shocked me that he would become involved.

“That’s enough Marilyn. I think it’s time you leave.” The older man said in his unique way. This was not a man that Marilyn would mess with. His family was just as much esteemed in the history of Minnesota as the Thompsons. A man’s whose family had built a retail empire that was part of the American society. And this man as backed by two huge bodyguards, that were required of his current position. Governor of Minnesota. I had never seen the governor this upset, even as he was fighting with the legislature over funding. Marilyn’s anger only rose. She slammed her glass on the ground and wiggled away from Marty. She stormed up the grand stairs to the top of the patio. She stopped and turned to face the gathered partygoers.

“You people are all sick. Allowing a person like this into this decent society. You can all go to hell! I hope I never see any of you ever again!” Marilyn screamed. Two of the security people hired came up and gently took Marilyn by the arms. She fought against the two. “Get your hands off me, you lotharios! This is my home! You have no right to touch me!” Marilyn yelled. From somewhere a person began to clap, that person was soon joined by several others and the claps were joined by jeers launched at the departing woman. One last release of frustration in the form of a curse could be heard. As Marilyn disappeared, all eyes turned towards me. Jenny rushed me, and her smile couldn’t be any bigger.

“You were incredible!” She said as she wrapped me in her arms. The adrenaline rush I had been on left me and I began to weep. Jenny backed off and lifted my chin and looked me in the eyes. “That was one of the most wonderful thigs I have seen. I am so proud of you and I knew there was a reason I wanted to spend the rest of my life with you.” And she kissed me full on. The clapping that had applauded Marilyn’s departure, turned into applause for Jenny and me. We both began to blush as we listened to the crowd. It wasn’t long before we were surrounded by family and being congratulated. Danny even gave me a huge hug.

As I took in the warmth that was being given me I felt a rush. The feelings of love and acceptance generated by these people was incredible. But no more than the love the beautiful woman in my arms displayed. Marilyn was now history, and it was time to move on to the wedding.

Gulp.

up
117 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

School is out!

College is finally over for Alexa and Jenny. This chapter may have not come out they way I had hoped, but I thought it was important to show the move from the undergraduate life into the 'more' adult world. There is not much left of the story. Thank you all for taking the time to read.

Kris

Keeps getting better and better.

Minnesota law S1092563978 clearly states that this story can not end. So you better put your thinking cap BACK ON AND GET TO WORK.
Hugs
Fran Cesca

- Formerly Turnabout Girl

When You Mentioned the Governor...

...coming forward to physically challenge Marilyn, my first thought was of Jesse Ventura. I did realize that his term was a while back -- further, actually, than I thought -- but it would have been fun.

Something HAS GOT to be done

Samantha Heart's picture

About Marilyn!!!! Ether jail or put SOMEWH where she can't harm the Thompson' 's anymore especially Jenny & Alxis.

Love Samantha Renée Heart.

Girls Are Doing Well

Good to see things continuing to move forward. Guess Marilyn is headed for liver disease and/or some other related health issues. An accidental death or maiming is also a big risk. Hopefully she doesn't take any innocents with her.

Thanks for sharing. This has been a great series.