Screams Like Eagle: Chapter 5

Printer-friendly version

To put it bluntly, I did not enjoy even a moment of the slightly more than three hour trip home, all I wanted to do was scream.

The problem was that we kept hitting crosswinds, and every time we did, the helicopter would rock a bit, causing me to shift in the seat. That caused a certain very tender part of my anatomy to rub against the surface of the seat through my jeans and underwear.

Let's just say that, by the time we landed at their home base near our camps, I was in a fair bit of pain. No, make that a lot of pain.

It took both Sammi and Wesley to help me to get out of the chopper, plus Darren who apparently had been paying attention to things. Huh, not only is he a good pilot and mechanic for these helicopters, he knows when something isn't right with a passenger he is carrying.

I wobbled toward mom and held on to her like a drowning person might cling to a life preserver, even to the point of crying on her shoulder.

**********

I guess it's time to give you some info about my family's history.

Hmmm... I think I'll start with mom's side, as there's more of interest to tell there, well, except for one thing, I suppose.

Mom's mom was the ninth of eleven children, seven girls, four boys. One boy and one girl followed after my maternal grandmother's birth.

From what I've been told, my maternal great-grandmother was raised in a "big family" environment, albeit one that was rather rough. She was a Great Depression baby, born in July of 1934; fifth of eight children, only three reached adulthood, five dying from various illnesses.

So when she reached the age where she could marry, it was only to find that she had no interest in any of the men in that little town. It wasn't until several years after that that she met her husband to be and they set out on spawning a veritable horde of children.

She was a rough woman, a woman of her times. She drank and smoked heavily, and died from stage four lung cancer at age 53.

So my maternal grandmother grew up with a lot of other kids around her, only two in the direct family being younger.

She met her husband to be, a man returning from his third six month stint in Afghanistan after being hit in the leg by flying shrapnel.

My mom was the only child of their marriage. About a year after mom was born, my grandma had a miscarriage that landed her in a hospital ward for nearly a week. The miscarriage had also triggered a major hemorrhage, and she was told she should not have any more children.

My mom's aunts and uncles eventually settled down, some here, some in other areas of Ontario, some out of the province. Between them, the ten others produced thirty-seven children, and most of those people are adults now, having their own children.

At the last count, mom has thirty-seven cousins as I've said, and those cousins have birthed more than fifty children between them.

Mom and dad both grew up in our rotating camps, my mom being in one of the main families, dad being on the fringe of things.

I don't know anything about my dad's grandparents, except that dad has one living great-uncle, the man for whom I was named.

Dad is the middle child of three, one older sister, one younger brother. Both siblings have married, both have at least one child.

Now for the item of interest. Several years ago, I think I had just turned ten, a child who had been raised male left home when his father found out he was at least crossdressing and possibly thinking of finding some way to get access to female hormones.

The child's mother had died a few years before, barely thirty years old and killed in just a few short seconds by an aneurysm or stroke. So the child didn't have anyone else in the house that might help him, there being no other children born there before the mother's death.

Somehow the child managed to flee from the father, and using every bit of skill and lore he had, reached the Canadian border. When he spoke to the officer at the crossing he used, he mentioned that his father was likely chasing him and there were no living relatives to help him.

The customs officer became worried, especially when he saw the bruising on the back of the child's neck where the father had hit him. The customs officer asked the child if he would allow himself to be examined, adding that a woman would be present if that would help at all.

The child thought about it for a moment, then agreed. The examination was done a short time later, strictly a visual one, but that was more than enough to convince them the child would not be safe in his father's hands. Temporary asylum was granted at that time.

That was when dad's sister entered the fray. She was a social worker at the time, working out of an office in Windsor, Ontario. The boy's case landed on her desk two days after he had reached the border crossing, with notations and photos from the guards who examined him.

She was appalled at the images that she was seeing, the marks on the child's body were quite nasty. In several places on the child's back, there were scabbed areas which looked rather serious and a doctor, who had examined the child later that first evening, had stated were most likely the marks of a belt buckle hitting edge on, thus leaving significant entry wounds. Then there were the layers of bruises from the belt itself.

There were also other marks that looked whiplike? The doctor's report stated they were likely from switches stripped to the bare wood.

The doctor also stated that there were at least a dozen old fractures in various locations, he noted most of those were likely defensive injuries.

Aunt Jocelyn was in front of a court judge within three hours of seeing the file. It didn't take more than a brief moment to convince the judge that the child was at very high risk if he was returned home and for the judge to further grant an order to provide interim care for the child.

Aunt Jocelyn stayed on top of that case for three months. The child was lucky in one sense that he ended up in a home where he was treated well, but there was no building of long term trust there, and it quickly became evident that he didn't feel safe in revealing himself to them.

Aunt Jocelyn checked in on him, usually once a week during that time period, and this is where things took another turn. For some reason, the child felt better, safer, whenever Aunt Jocelyn was present, and he eventually asked if he could be placed with her instead.

She went before the judge again, this time on the Tuesday following that meeting, and they talked for more than an hour. The end result was that the child would be transferred to her custody on the following weekend, giving him time to say his goodbyes to the foster family.

To say that that farewell was a tearful time would be an understatement. They had kept him safe, even if they had never truly known him.

The temporary custody slowly changed to a permanent arrangement about six months later, when she and her husband adopted him.

A few months after that, her office downsized and she was out of work.

It took about six weeks of living off saved income before someone from the band up north contacted her, offering employment.

She jumped on it, informing her husband and within two weeks, they were settled in a small but comfy house in the current camp.

That child, my cousin Ambrose/Amber, came out within days of arriving as being two-spirited and was happy to live either way at any time.

Aunt Jocelyn became our little community's social worker/counsellor, helping anyone that needed it.

**********

I guess that gives you a fair amount of the history of my family. I'm sorry if I didn't cover everything, I have quite a lot of relatives.

Well, as I said before, I was holding on to mom for dear life when I felt two more pairs of arms wrapping themselves around me. A quick glance over my right shoulder revealed Aunt Jocelyn, another glance over the left shoulder showed my cousin Amber was there.

In a way, I'm really glad Amber was there, because I needed to talk to someone who might understand what I was experiencing. Now, Amber is a young adult, about five years older than me, so she had been at her university in Toronto when she found out what was happening.

She had actually come back here, even though her summer classes were still in session, to be here for me. That just made me cry even more.

I suppose about another ten or fifteen minutes passed before the watery eyes stopped leaking and I could face them all.

We talked for a few more minutes before I felt like I could walk from where we were over to the cars that were waiting for us. I rode with mom and dad, Sammi and Wesley were sharing the back seat with me. Amber and Aunt Jocelyn, plus a few others, had their own cars.

Once we were back at the camp, I nodded to Amber and the two of us walked off to a spot with a park bench under a big old maple tree.

I knew Amber's history, heck, everyone in the camp knew it within a week of her having arrived here nearly seven years ago.

"Amber, if you didn't already know, the doctors had to remove my penis, as it was too badly damaged to function, and they fashioned a vagina using some of the colon tissue. That bit may be female, but I'm still Will up here and here," I took a moment to point at my heart and my head. "But I had this really weird dream recently," I described the dream/not dream to her, "And I feel that I will need to be female sometimes."

Now that might not have been the best way to start a conversation, but if anyone could understand me at all at that point, it would be Amber.

Amber and I talked for nearly two hours before mom yelled at me to get my butt home if I wanted to have my supper. I was up and running like a shot! You can call me late for just about anything and I won't care. The one exception to that is meals; I hate missing even one.

**********

The next ten days passed fairly quickly, I spent most of my time either with Sammi or with Amber, sometime both of them together. There was a lot of discussion about my feelings and what I had experienced in that dream/not dream, but no firm conclusions were reached.

A week after I returned home, Amber had to return to Toronto to continue her summer sessions or forfeit the possible passing grade. We promised to keep in contact with each other, a promise I intended to keep. It wouldn't be hard, we'd been in close contact for almost two years. By close contact, I mean we had each other's emails and I had her cell phone number, although I would only use that in an emergency.

Shortly after two PM on the tenth day after my return, a strange car parked near our small house, then an older man stepped out of it.

I had seen pictures here and there of Simon Leapfoot the younger. He was now here in the flesh, my training was about to begin.

up
186 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I love BCTS

WillowD's picture

One of the really nice things about it is that there are so many awesome serialized stories being published here that it is easy to loose track. I missed reading chapter 4 so this time I got to read TWO new chapters. Life is awesome.

Thank you for posting.

Re: I love BCTS

You're welcome, Willow. I'll post the next part as soon as the muse is willing to cooperate again. *giggles and runs away*

It always amazes me........

D. Eden's picture

How different people can be.

As I walk through my life each day, the responses I get are so varied. I get total acceptance from many people, some to the point of indifference - which is great! Some people simply can’t control their curiousity, even to the point of being rude. Oh, I have never had anyone come up and ask me or want to talk about it, but plenty of them stare as if trying to figure it out. You see, I pass fairly well without many of the obvious tells, but I am 5’11” tall (so in heels I am over six feet tall, quite often being taller than anyone else in the room), my shoulders are wider than average although not huge and dressing properly hides that fact, and of course although my hands are not huge they are not exactly slender either.

So, there are enough little things that many people stare trying to decide just what exactly I am, and yes, it’s incredibly rude. Like most transgender people, all I want to do is fit in. I am just another woman, fragile ego and body image issues and all.

Sure it’s nice to be noticed because of how I am dressed, to have someone tell me how nice I look - or even to have them tell me I look pretty. And yes, that does in fact happen. But all I truly want is to be treated like any other woman who they see.

And of course, then there are the people who for whatever reason insist on treating you like a leper. The ones who insist on addressing you as “sir”, who insist on using the wrong pronouns, or even refuse to deal with you at all.

Luckily for me, this has only happened a few times, and only once in the past year. The further into my transition I have gone, the more comfortable in myself I have become, the more confidence I have built, well........ the more passable I have become. The one time that it did happen to me was perhaps even more crushing for it having been so long between incidents; perhaps my skin had become thinner over time, or my armor had fallen away.

Of course, there are still the stares I get at home. I live in a small community in upstate NY - the smallest city in the state, it is in fact only one square mile in size. Because of that, and adding in the fact that my wife’s family is rather prominent within the community, well let’s just say that I am rather well known.

Many are OK with who I am - many others not. Most simply leave us alone, but I was the topic of multiple articles in the Albany, NY and Schenectady, NY newspapers - not to mention the local TV news some time back. You see, my wife is part of the local government, and one of my sons is a police officer, so we are not exactly a stealthy group. I became quite the topic of conversation around city hall and in the police locker room for a time. With the help of the PBA, my son filed a complaint about specific people in city hall, and it made the news. I was not specifically named, but my son was, and I was referred to as his “transgender father” by the local news groups. As my last name is somewhat unique, it wasn’t hard to figure it out.

So, my point is that that there will always be those that accept you, as well as those who do not. All most of us hope for is to simply blend in - to be left in peace and treated like any other person walking down the street. Hopefully, like Amber in this story, we will all eventually find that place where we are accepted.

D

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Re: It always amazes me

You are quite correct about how different people can be, how some will accept you and some won't.

I'm sorry to hear that it was necessary for your son to have to file that complaint to get anything done. It shouldn't have been necessary.

As for Amber/Ambrose, they were one of very few white folks still living in Detroit, in an area that was almost empty of other people. Her father, due to his belligerence and drinking, hadn't had a job for years, and the death of his wife sent him deeper into the spiral of hell.

That's no excuse for the abuse I described as having happened to Ambrose/Amber, but with extremely low income, no friends to call on and no one in the immediate area that they felt safe to ask for help, they ended up fleeing through a large part of Detroit to reach the border.

Ambrose/Amber lucked out in several ways. One, that the guards at Customs considered it to be severe enough that they were able to get a temporary asylum order in place. Two, that Jocelyn was the social worker the file about Ambrose was dropped on, and three, that Jocelyn knew a judge that would be friendly to her requesting an immediate plea for help and in viewing the file that she held. Four, that Ambrose was placed with a family that gave him a place to stay for as long as it was needed with no bullshit attached. Five, that Jocelyn was truly willing to listen when Ambrose informed her that they wanted to be with her long term, and six, in Jocelyn and her husband being able to adopt Ambrose as quickly as they did, thanks to various bits of help from other social workers and that friendly judge.

The fallout from losing her job and the eventual move back up north to the camp turned out to be very good for Ambrose/Amber.

Also, Ambrose at the time that they joined Jocelyn was only fifteen, so no significant male secondary characteristics were present. Once they were up there, Ambrose was free to live as they wished and did so, which I didn't feel required explicit detail.

Yes, Ambrose/Amber found a place where they could be accepted. Sometimes things just work out as if gifts from the Goddess.

"my training was about to begin."

"feel the force around you" ... oh wait, that's training to be a jedi, never mind ...

:P

DogSig.png

Re: "my training was about to begin."

ROFLMAO @ that Jedi comment. Thanks, Dot, I needed that! :))

Yes, Will's training in shamanism is about to begin. He'll learn a great deal more than he knows now about the world around him, I think. Plus there is the possibility that he may display that healing ability that he used on the tree in the dream/not dream again.

I xpect we all have stories

of public abuse, I am no exception. I am enjoying this story quite a bit.

Re: I expect we all have stories

I used the description of what was done to Ambrose to give more background on the community in the camp itself. Even though Ambrose has no native blood to the best of his knowledge, he was accepted and welcomed by these people, and allowed to be as he wished.

If that included increasing numbers of forays into the realms of femininity and then eventually living mostly as female, that was fine. The only thing that Jocelyn and her husband Torrey wanted was for Ambrose to be happy, and Amber is quite happy with life now.

Thank you very much for the comment, Wendy. I'm glad that you are enjoying the story.

Unexpected life

Jamie Lee's picture

Thinking his maleness was sensitive, he finds out his femaleness is over the top. He even sees he and Sammi having the time of their lives at some point.

The border guards did the right thing in giving Amber sanctuary because of their physical findings. The guards should have sent their findings back to the authorities in Amber's home town and her dad should have been arrested for child abuse. It was good she eventually found a family who allowed her to be who she wanted to be.

What type of training is Will about to undergo? More dealing with dreaming/not dreaming or something even more mind blowing?

Others have feelings too.

Re: Unexpected life

Over the top! Hahaha! That's definitely one way to describe it!

Well, Sammi is Will's girlfriend, even with the change to Will's body. She loves the whole person, not just one part.

As for the border guards, yeah, they likely should have passed on the reports to police in Detroit. The problem with many areas of Detroit nowadays is that they are pretty much dead zones, with only a few people living there, many of them having been turned over to black folks as the whites moved out to the new suburbs. There are many areas of Detroit where it isn't safe to be alone at any time.

Ambrose/Amber came from an area where most of the folks living there were blacks, with his family being the lone whites. Being that they weren't living very well, especially after Amber's mom died from the aneurysm/stroke, they were outcasts in their community.

Oh, information I quote here has been taken from the wikipedia page on Detroit. I used it because it gives a fair bit of information about various times in the city's history without going into extreme detail, but also shows many of the changes that took place in the city itself.

Isolated areas and the prevalence of things like drug gangs make Detroit a risky place to live. Add in that Detroit, as of 2008, has some of the highest crime rates in the US, with a rate of 62.18 per 1,000 residents for property crimes, and 16.73 per 1,000 for violent crimes (compared to national figures of 32 per 1,000 for property crimes and 5 per 1,000 for violent crime in 2008).[63]

Detroit's murder rate was 53 per 100,000 in 2012, ten times that of New York City.[64] A 2012 Forbes report named Detroit as the most dangerous city in the US for the fourth year in a row. It cited FBI survey data showing that the city's metropolitan area had a significant rate of violent crimes: murder and non-negligent manslaughter, rape, robbery, and aggravated assault.[65][66]

Ambrose/Amber came from the area of Detroit known as Brightmoor, specifically in the area shown as dark blue by the map below which shows the amount of vacant housing in various areas by census tract in 2011. The area he lived in has the highest vacancy rate shown:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decline_of_Detroit#/media/File...(2011).svg

With that high a vacancy rate, unless he actually got to know the people living in the area, he didn't have any reasonable options for safety. Going to the Detroit police, with their unwillingness or inability to actually solve many crimes, likely would not have been of any help to him. The exception might have been if Ambrose/Amber had a serious injury from a recent assault, i.e., broken arm, obvious facial injury.

I didn't actually say whether Ambrose had any serious injuries when he came to the border, I thought the bruises/welts were enough.

Ambrose/Amber lucked out in ending up with Aunt Jocelyn as the social worker for his case, then eventually his mother.

As for the training Will will do, there will be times of meditation, times Simon will take him out and have him just watch animals as they go about their daily lives, times where Simon will show Will the various plants in his area and the ways that they can be used.

Eventually, if Will shows a strong enough interest in shamanic lore/rituals, Simon and/or others will teach those things to him as well.

As for the dreaming/not dreaming bit I added in earlier, it does seem to lean toward Will taking on higher shamanic training at some point.

Whether something like the dreaming/not dreaming scene will occur again, we'll just have to wait and see. *grins*