Flight of the Claymore -chapter 17

Printer-friendly version

Chapter 17
Cut and Shoot, New Texas
Fox ‘Spooky’ Muller slid his way down the muddy bank of the Warthog River. His boss had told him that he was to meet up with two of those Death Dealers from White Sands. At seventeen the young man had grown up hearing stories about these fabled warriors. When his oldest brother left three years ago to join the Empyreal Military he had tried to join the Death Dealers but failed to make the cut. Fox wanted to not only meet these guys but talk to them about what it takes to become a Death Dealer.

It was his dream to come home wearing the Imperial Black of the Death Dealers. He knew that it was said that the Empress and War Princess were both Second-Gen Death Dealers but didn’t believe it. They were both far too beautiful women to be soldiers let alone Death Dealers. He had heard that there were female Death Dealers but knew that they have to be ugly, butch, hardcore, lesbos. No way would there be beautiful, feminine ladies in their ranks. You can imagine his surprise at seeing the two strikingly beautiful women wearing the Imperial Black combat uniforms of the Death Dealers stepping out of the wood line onto the riverbank.

Fox hand to do a double take upon first seeing the two women. He had to be seeing things. He was sure of it. then one of them smiled at the other. “Oh look Danni, we got us another one of those poor misinformed civilians that think all Death Dealer females are overbearing fugly lesbos.”

“Knock it off, Joyce.” The smaller of the two snapped. “It’s bad enough we got to deal with a bunch of redneck assholes on this planet. There’s no need to go antagonizing them.”

Joyce just pouted at her friend then let her sense of humor take over. Showing a sunny smile with a totally vacant look to Fox. “So, are you like, you know, our guide to the big-time rebel leaders or something cutie?”

Danni knew it was coming. She knew there was nothing she could do to stop it. Yet still couldn’t stop the much needed facepalm at her partner’s antics. “Damn it, Joyce! Quit fracking around with the kid’s head.”

“Fine.” Joyce grumbled. “Spoil sport.”

“Please forgive my partner, kid. She get’s stupid after a fifty-mile run and no rest. Which way to your boss?” Danni asked politely.

“Um… About fifteen miles due south of here.” Fox said pointing the direction he had come. “I’ve got a four-wheeler about two miles from here. Do you ladies need a break or maybe some water?”

Both women shook their head no. Yet it was Danni who took command. “Thanks, but we’ll rest when we get back to your four-wheeler kid.”

Fox just shrugged his shoulders and lead the way up back towards his four-wheeler. He knew that these women would need to take a break soon. He also knew that the bullshit they tried to feed them of traveling fifty miles at a run. Was just that, bullshit. Sure, they may have run ten to fifteen miles running but not fifty. Especially carrying those full backpacks. As he cleared the river bank Fox thought that he would showoff a little and started to stretch out his pace.

Joyce and Danni just looked at each other and sighed. They had put up with the attitudes of the New Texans from the first day the division had landed. For male Death Dealers it was so bad. In fact, the locals respected them as if they were the second coming. But for the female Death Dealers it was a constant up hill battle to get the respect they had earned by winning the Imperial Black. When the teenager decided to test their endurance they just accepted the silent challenge. As Fox kept stepping up his pace they just kept right up with him. Not really pushing the boy, but just enough to let him know they were still there and not going anywhere.

By the time Fox reached the four-wheeler he was damned near dead on his feet. He couldn’t believe that the two women weren’t even breathing hard. “How… can… you… not… be… breathing… hard? You’re… carrying… those… backpacks?”

“Look kiddo, for starters we have been trained to carry a forty-pound rucksack over seventy-miles before taking a break. You also got to remember that every Death Dealer is augmented. We are not your normal soldiers.” Danni said as she placed her hand on his shoulder. “If you survive this war. Come to White Sands and get tested for the military. We can tell that you really want to be a Death Dealer. Just remember that only one in every one-hundred ever get accepted.”

“Really? Only one in every one-hundred? How many women get accepted?” Fox asked looking at the two very beautiful women thinking that the number had to be even lower. “I mean if they only take one man out of a hundred. How many women do they accept out say another hundred?”

“You don’t get it kid. That one person is the same.” Joyce snapped. “To Death Dealers it doesn’t matter if you’re a boy or a girl when you walk through their door. Only one person wins the Imperial Black out of a hundred. Man or woman, we all bust our asses to win those Blacks. We all train the same. We share the same food. The same water. The same barracks. Hell, we even have the same showers.”

“You get lucky enough to be accepted to go through the first round of selections kid. You’ll have done something that only one in a thousand have ever done. If you get past first round selections you still have to past the physical and psychic exams. All of that just to get you through the door. At anytime one of the examiners can reject you for any reason.” Danni went on to point out.

“Oh wow. I never thought that it was that hard to get into the Death Dealers.” For the first time Fox saw his dreams going up in flames. He thought about how he had treated the two women before and felt shame. “Um… about my attitude earlier. Would it help if I apologized?”

Joyce just smiled. “Forget about kid. Just remember that every member of the Death Dealers has earned their place as one of us. Also remember something else that most of the Empire’s citizens don’t consider. Death Dealers, to the last, give up their planetary citizenships. Our only home is the Death Dealers. We belong to the Empire. It is something you need to think long and hard about before starting down the road to winning the Imperial Blacks.”

As the two women placed their backpacks in the back of the four-wheeler Fox Muller thought about what they said. He was fighting a war for his planet’s freedom sure. Yet, what would it be like to have to fight for some other planet’s freedom. That is what they were doing now. They where here on New Texas fighting against the Amazons for his people. They and the rest of the Death Dealers could have pulled out ten days ago saying that this was not their fight. After all the New Texans were only rebelling against the Amazon controlled banks, and their mercenaries at first. Now, they were fighting twenty-four heavy divisions of regular Amazon Military. By all rights the Death Dealers couldn’t be blamed if they pulled out.

“Excuse me, ladies. But why hasn’t your Commanding Officers ordered your retreat to another system? After all, this really isn’t your fight?” Fox needed to understand why they and the rest of the Death Dealers were still here fighting the Amazons.

“We have a saying in the Death Dealers kid.” Joyce said as she slides into the four-wheeler. “You push, we flatten. Remember our moto kid. Death is Dealt by our hand. Well there is a second part to our moto that goes like this. We will ring the bells of Hell. When Death Dealers get given a planet to hold, we hold that planet. We never retreat, we never surrender. One way or the other our enemy is going to be filling body bags. With their own people.”

Fox just stared at the two women and their hard looks of determination. Fox now finally understood why his brother could fail to enter the Death Dealers. He just wasn’t mean enough to get the job done. Fox was also beginning to doubt his own ability to win those coveted Imperial Blacks. As he drove them through the early morning light Fox thought long and hard about the two female Death Dealers told him. He knew that he had a lot to think about and let them both fall asleep in their seats.

First Division Command Post, Panhandle Plains, New Texas
Sub Commander Helen Bull was not in a good mood. She knew that they were already forty hours behind their planned launch time for their attack. That lost forty hours had already cost them a full regiment of armor. The Jayhawkers had left their base at the preset time. The failure on the part of the Third Division to support that valuable mercenary unit could very well cost them the war. Of the twenty-four divisions on planet, eight of them were made up of mercenary battalions. Those eight divisions could make all the difference in the upcoming battles.

Of all the Sub Commanders Helen Bull knew this more than most. She had been a Military Advisor to the High Council during the planning of all operations on New Texas. The main reinforcements for the Amazon operations were those eight divisions worth of mercenary battalions. If they treat those battalions like so much trash then they can, and most likely will, go to the Mercenary Guilds Contract Hall. Once they do that and plead their case for maltreatment or lack of support there goes their reserve forces right out the window. She had warned the High Council of this possibility, repeatedly during the planning sessions. Yet, her warnings fell on what could only be described as deaf ears.

Even now, as the majority of their force gathered here on the Panhandle Plains, those reinforcements have yet to arrive. The reports of insurgent activity on every primary road and river crossing were rising with each hour. The main complaint has been sniper activity. So far, the divisions have lost almost a full third of their commanding front line officers. These officers were the backbone of the Amazon military. Supreme Commander Von Bencher’s orders to not engage the snipers went against everything that Helen and other divisional commanders believed. Who cares if a few future drones are killed? They could always decant a new batch of clones to replace them. It wasn’t like drones weren’t indispensable.

Helen was drawn from her dark thoughts by one of the Communication Technicians. “Sub Commander Bull, urgent message from planetary command, ma’am.”

“Well don’t just stand there. Read it already.” Helen snapped.

“By the orders of the Amazon Grand Council and High Council. All Divisional Sub Commanders are to initiate pacification and cleansing of the surrounding populace. All resistance is to be met with level three force. This is a planet wide cleansing and recycling of the population. Supreme Commander Von Bencher.” The Technician turned white as she read the orders. She knew what those orders meant for the people of New Texas that were not already citizens of the Amazon Collective.

Sub Commander Helen Bull just stood there not believing what she just heard. They were nowhere near ready to begin such operations. They had the base at White Sands to take first. Then there were close to ten, at last estimate, full regimental combat teams made up from the local population. A force that was growing daily. Then there were the reports of smaller bands of rebels attacking their supply lines, and other support facilities. It was as if the entire planet was rising up against them in total defiance. Like the New Texans weren’t going to just fade away.

Now the High Council wants a mere twenty-four divisions to put down a full-blown planetary wide insurrection. Helen gnashed her teeth as she grounded out. “Are they out of their damn minds?!”

The Technician didn’t know who the Sub Commander was talking to but kept her opinion to herself. She may be a member of the Educated Class but that won’t keep her head on her shoulders if the Sub Commander wanted to kill her. No, it would be best if she found a way to discreetly vanish from the Sub Commander’s preview.

Helen knew that she had to carry out those godawful orders. Thousands of innocent civilians were about to disappear from the face of New Texas. There would be no disputing those orders if she want to keep her own head. For whatever their reasons the High Council had moved the time table up. For Helen Bull this could only mean one thing. The Empire was coming. Coming in force.

Bounty Hunter County, New Texas
Mark McCoy and John Hatfield slowly moved into position behind the rock outcropping. Both men were armed with the new Hellsign Arms 13.7-milimeter Vladimir Harkonnen sniper rifles. For the past three days the two young men had been waiting for this moment. There before them, on route six-sixty-six, was the 27th Mobile Light Infantry Regiment. Or, to their minds, the blue belly scum of Rigel six.

Just like the other four two-man teams spread through out the valley they were there with a purpose. Tie down any force of light infantry that moved through this valley. Mark looked over at his longtime friend and gave the signal. John Hatfield just pushed the button on the radio detonator. Twenty feet in front of the lead Fast Attack Vehicle the double lain road exploded leaving behind a fifty-foot wide, twenty-foot deep, crater. The charge had been calculated down to the last detail to do exactly what it had. Cut off the use of that road. The damage will take heavy equipment and long hours to repair.

With the steep sides of the valley walls going around the crater was impossible. This valley was a natural choke point. It had taken six years to widen the valley floor enough to handle the four lanes of traffic. Another three just to lay the roadbed and one more year to spread the roadway surface itself. It had taken ten years and the lives of over thirty roadworkers in total to bring route 666 through these mountains. It truly had earned its nickname of the Devil’s Highway.

Today the six men and four women that made up the ten-man team stationed in this pass were about to make that nickname even more poetic and bloody. As one each team member targeted individual officers of the 27th MILR. Then, when the time was right, they fired their first rounds. From the Regiment’s Colonel down to the Executive Officers of the four Squadrons, each died from highspeed lead poisoning to the brain. The reaction from the rest of the Regiment was predictable. Everyone went diving for cover. Of all the threats soldiers face on the battlefield. Snipers are at the top of the list. Even in this day and age of high-tech multi-ton war machines that could destroy whole city blocks. Snipers were the one boogeyman that all soldiers feared because they don’t just kill the man next to you. They kill your buddies. They kill the people you know in front of you.

All up and down the valley the killing ground was well defined. By the time the Company Commanders were able to organize a response to first round of shots they too were targeted. It wasn’t until after the ten snipers had fired four rounds a piece that they finally pulled back. Down on the valley floor forty officers of the 27th MILR lay dead or dying and the Regiment was in total chaos. It would take the few remaining First and Second Lieutenants several days to sort out the mess that was the 27th MILR with the help of their senior Sergeants.

Royal Battle Platform Ryuk, Hades System
The heavy thud of an arrow driving deep into its wooden target sounded through the upper dorsal observation dome. A few seconds later a second thud sounded as a second arrow hit home within a scant few inches of the first. To most people the sounds of a bow string snapping taunt, and an arrow striking home, would seems strange in this day and age. For the four members of the Hellhounds standing off to one-side it was just the newest way for their charges to release their stress. It was also just something else for the personal royal bodyguards to place bets on amongst themselves. For the Hellhounds seeing the royal couple doing anything to release the stress of ruling the Empire was a good thing.

The sound of an arrow striking home sounded again. “The release must be smooth my student. Remember, the long slow steady pull is the key to mastery of the daikyu yumi. Allow me to show you what I am talking about.”

All four guards quickly placed their bets by way of their private network connection. They all knew that the Empress Maiha and War Princess Alice were about to get schooled by their long-time and most senior advisor, the Reverend Mother Katsumi. Even the Grand Lady Dai Etsu who had come aboard four hours earlier knew that her daughter and daughter-in-law were about to be shown what a true Mistress at of the art of kyūjutsu could do. Katsumi rolled the right sleeve of her kimono down her arm before picking up the third bow in the rack.

Taking a slow deep breath Katsumi began her draw. Katsumi let the last two hundred years of practicing kyūjutsu show. Her movements were smooth, precise, graceful, as she slowly took her stance as she drew back the bowstring for her shot. Over the eight positions of kyūjutsu Katsumi never let her concentration waver from the task at hand. When she released her arrow, the clothyard shaft cone tipped missile, flew as if guided by a wire straight into the center of the wooden target at the far end of the dome area. When done Katsumi slowly lowered her bow before turning to face Maiha and Alice. “Now, did you see the difference between my shot and yours?”

Both Alice and Maiha had seen, but for the life of them couldn’t figure out how to repeat it. The movements may seem simple and easy to perform, they were far from either. The grace and beauty of the art was beyond the two novices for now. Holding their bows so as not to damage them the royal couple bowed deeply to their teacher and advisor. Katsumi smiled as she returned the show of respect.

“Remember that kyūjutsu is more than just an exercise, children. It is also first and foremost an artform.” Dai Etsu said quietly from where she stood off to one side. “Respect the art as much as you respect the science.”

Smiling, Maiha and Alice bowed to the woman who was more than just a mother to them. As Maiha returned to a standing position she looked over at the four bodyguards. “Okay, you clowns can pay them.”

The guards just chuckled as they hand each other a set of notes. As they did so Maiha just sighed. “You know something Alice. Just once I would love to make that crack and for nothing to happen.”

“You would die of shock, my student.” Katsumi delivered her response in such a deadpanned way that Dai Etsu and Alice broke out laughing. Even Maiha had to chuckle. It was well known that the Empress and War Princess treated their bodyguards more like friends than soldiers. Sometimes even going to those deadly men and women for the opinion of the common soldier on matters of state. The guards on duty just chuckled at the Reverend Mother’s reply to their antics.

“I hate to say this but you’re probably right about that Reverend Mother. Then again, they are not your normal soldiers. They’re more friends than bodyguards.” Maiha smiled over at the guards. “I do want to thank you for joining us today for our practice.”

“I am more than happy to instruct you, Empress Maiha, but I believe that you have an alternative reason for inviting me.” Katsumi pointed out.

“Yes, I too wondered at your very formal request for an audience Maiha.” Dai Etsu said as she looked around the observation room. “You have never been so formal with me. Not that I don’t mind visiting you and Alice.”

Maiha sighed. “I have need of your advice on a matter, no two matters of state. I hope that you’ll be able to give me some guidance.”

Dai Etsu heard the frustration in Maiha’s voice. Tuning to the bodyguards she called out in a tone that booked no argument. “CLEAR AND LOCK THE ROOM!”

As one the four bodyguards bowed first, then left the observation room. When the two sets of doors closed behind the guards the sounds of heavy double reinforced bars slamming home could be heard. This was followed by the hiss of pneumatic seals inflating. When the voice of Ryuk sounded in the room they knew nothing, and no one was getting into that room. “The room is now sealed Grand Lady Dai Etsu.”

“Thank you, Ryuk.” Dai Etsu said into the empty air knowing that the ancient AI would hear her. Looking over at Maiha. “What has you so upset, Maiha?”

“You have heard of the outbreak of war on New Texas by now. What you have most likely not heard of is the attack on four New Texas cities with nuclear weapons.” Maiha’s very calm but irritated answer had the two older women’s attention. “I did not stutter. The Amazon command dropped nukes on four of the Texas cities.”

“Do your troops know if there were any survivors?” Reverend Mother Katsumi asked with more heat than would be expected from a religious leader.

“Not as of yet, Reverend Mother. They’re still trying to get survey teams into position to evaluate those impact sites.” Alice answered quickly.

“Does James have an idea on how the attacks happen, Maiha?” Dai Etsu asked with the ever-present serene presence plastered on her face. The one that Maiha had spent the last thirty years trying to learn but only coming close, yet not quite reaching. It was a trait that Maiha’s sisters had all mastered long ago, while she still struggled with it. Maiha often quipped that if she didn’t have to deal with Parliament she might be able to master the Family’s serenity.

“That we do know mother. It seems that the Amazons had a flight of heavy bombers that could follow the terrain and deliver the atomic bombs. He was very blunt about the fact that the Amazons used bombs and not missiles in his report.”

“Why bombs over missiles? Bombs are not nearly as accurate. They also place a heavy bomber crew in unnecessary danger.” Katsumi began to pace around the observatory. Stopping in front of the rack holding the arrows she picked one up and a thought occurred to her. Stepping back over to the firing line Katsumi took up her stance once more. Then with the ease born of years of practice pulled and fired the arrow. The thud of the arrow hit home brought a smile to Katsumi’s face. “They have to use bombers. They don’t have the missiles fire nukes from a safe distance.”

“Excuse me, Katsumi, but would you please enlighten the non-military minded among us?” Dai Etsu sighed.

“You’re not the only one here that needs an explanation mama. And I have a military mind.” Alice gripped.

“The Amazons lack the mobile missile launchers to handle a nuclear missile. Something, or someone put their heavy launchers out of commission. That or they never had the MMLs to begin with.” Maiha said with full understanding. “The question is which it is?”

“I would have to say that it is a combination of both, Maiha.” Katsumi answered before turning to look at the target. “From Prince James’ reports we know that the White Sands Base was first attacked by several heavy mobile missile batteries and Lieutenant Cole was able to destroy a few of those batteries. We also knew that over the past few days that the New Texans have been able to disable a few more of those MLRS Units. If the Amazon Force has been unable to replace those units with fresh replacements, then they lack the needed launchers.”

Dai Etsu gave Katsumi a rather harsh look. “It seems that the problem children of the Empire have finally shown their true colors. I take it that is the reason for your request to speak with us?”

“That is just one of the reasons, mother. The other is one that has been perplexing me for the last ten years.” Maiha picked up arrow drew, aimed, and fired. The arrow struck home just centimeters from the bullseye. “Over that time more and more of the Parliament have been backing the Amazon proposals. At present there is close to a two-thirds backing for the Amazons. Not of this make sense to me.”

“Have you thought of the possibility that those Representatives may have been replaced with clones?” Dai Etsu asked with true interest. At the blank looks on her daughter’s and daughter-in-law’s faces Dai Etsu sighed. “Children, the Amazon Collective is a clone-based society. It would be nothing for them to replace key Representatives with clones. Clones that are loyal to the Collective.”

“Shit! That would more than explain why so many of those anti-clone laws were shotdown on the Floor. Those bastards have been undermining every social and political reform that I have been trying to get passed.” Maiha was beyond pissed. For the first time in decades her bio-arm deployed due to emotional feedback. Gone was the refined Lady and Empress, that had been so carefully groomed over the years. In her place now stood the epitome of hell incarnate. For thirty-years the Empire had not seen this creature of vengeance and war.

In a voice devoid of emotion yet filled with the coldest icy winds of the most frozen planet in all the Empire. “Ryuk open a channel to all High Lords and Ladies of the Death Dealers.”

“At once my Empress.” The ancient AI answered. Within a few seconds holographic displays for Lord or Lady appeared in the air around Maiha. “As you requested, my Empress. All are here and accounted for, my Empress.”

“Thank you, Ryuk.” Maiha said into the air then turned to face the holograms. “My Lords and Ladies, we have a problem. As you have most likely been following the situation on New Texas let us dispense with the formalities. Shall we?”

“It has been a long time since we last saw that black armor, Empress. I think I can speak for the other Lords and Ladies, Empress.” First High Lady Michela Starr started off. “Our we FINALLY going to put an end to those bitches?”

“I agree with First Lady Starr, Empress.” First High Lord McCloud spoke up next. “I have been dealing with those damned River Sluts and their Secessionist attitudes for the past ten years.”

“Excuse me, First High Lord McCloud, but what Secessionist attitudes are you talking about?” Maiha asked with what could only be described as glacial ice in her voice.

“There is powerful movement within the Amazon Grand Council to Secede from the Empire, your Majesty. Until recently they have been in the minority. Over the past four years they have been gaining in both support and power. They are the same ones that have been advocating the use of military force to push out the colonists on the frontier planets. At present this faction has the loudest voice in their Grand Council and High Council.” McCloud felt that he should give his Empress all the facts. She was known for her quicksilver moods. When he and the other First Lords and Ladies saw her trademark black bio-arm they knew she was pissed.

“Why haven’t I been appraised of this situation, First Lord McCloud? After all the Amazon system and its Collective fall under your preview.” Maiha let her displeasure over this unknown element fill her voice.

McCloud swallowed hard before answering. “Your Majesty, please understand that, as much as I wanted to inform you of the political leanings of the Grand Council, I lacked the evidence to back my suspicions.”

Maiha understood imminently what McCloud had been facing. She could only sigh as it was a civilian problem that he was facing. Not a military one in which he had the authority to operate. “Understood First Lord McCloud. I thank you for your perseverance in this matter.”

Maiha took a few minutes to gather her thoughts as the gathered Death Dealer First Lords and Ladies. She could tell that they were all taking in this new information and formulating plans on how to deal with the situation. Before Maiha were the top ten Military minds in all of her Empire. Then there was the ten Shinigami and Death Dealer AIs for a total of twenty Tactical and Strategic Command AIs at their disposal. Maiha felt confident that they would be able to come up with a solution for the current situation on New Texas.

“Now that you have all been fully appraised of the situation both on New Texas and within the Amazon Collective. Do any of you have an idea for how we should proceed?” Maiha asked them as one.

Only First High Lady Saris Victoria gave any indication. “A two-pronged attack your Majesty. One on New Texas, one in Parliament. As New Texas and the NCS is part of my Area of Operation Allow me to address the actual war within the New Confederate System. I can have the Twenty-second Death Dealers Battlegroup along with all eighteen of its combat divisions in system and planet side within nine days.”

“Lady Saris are you sure of that time? I don’t want you pushing your people.” Maiha knew that emergency redeployment of troops could lead to disaster.

“Your Majesty, I know that I have most likely overstepped, but I started redeploying my divisions four days ago. When I received the first reports out of New Texas I gave the order for Operation Royal Blue of the Rainbow Plans. I am only waiting for my Ogres to reach the rest of the fleet Majesty.” Even across the vast distance and through the dark backlighting of her office High Lady of the Death Dealers Saris Victoria radiated an air of death. Saris was unlike most of the other High Lords and Ladies. Her home planet is one that only allows for predators.

Maiha didn’t even think twice upon hearing this. “You’re cleared for operations Lady Saris. End this war before it goes any further.”

“Yes, Empress Maiha.” Was all Saris said before disconnecting. Leaving Maiha and the others to deal with the political side of the attack. Something that none of the High Lords or Ladies were very good at. This would have to be Maiha’s sole mission in helping to end this war.

“Thank you, Ladies and Lords. Please remain on guard in your respective A.O.s. I have a feeling that our enemies will take this as a sign to attack. If they should be so foolish, you’re cleared for unilateral action. Only the seven-forty Core Crackers are off the table. Other than that, anything goes. Understood?” Maiha wanted to make sure that her Military Commanders knew where they stood.

As one the assembled Commanders of the Death Dealers answered in the affirmative. Maiha knew that they would carryout her orders and insure that the Empire survived. “Death is dealt by our hands!”

As the battle cry for the Death Dealers’ sounded through the observation room the High Lords and Ladies signed off. Once she was alone again with her mother, Alice, and Reverend Mother Katsumi, Maiha sighed in defeat. “After thirty years I have finally been forced to use the Death Dealers once more within our borders. I guess that I was just too optimistic for my own good. I had hoped that the Knights of Ida-ten could have continued to hold off the Amazons’ need for power.”

“You sound as if you have failed, my student.” Katsumi said as she picked up an arrow. As she drew the arrow for another shoot at the target. “For thirty years the Knights have done exceedingly well in keeping the peace. Especially for such a small force of dedicated individuals. No, this is a situation where the forces, the Knights of Ida-ten faced, could not be dissuaded form their course of action.”

Katsumi released the arrow. As the ancient style missile flew across the home into the center of the target Katsumi slowly lowered the bow. “Just as the arrow that is your Death Dealers has left its string so must your own arrow now fly towards the target within the Hall of Lords and Parliament.”

Maiha stepped over to the firing line. Drawing an arrow from her quiver Maiha slowly drew back for her shot following the same slow methodical process that Katsumi had used. “My target is not one that I cannot use a PPC to handle, Reverend Mother. Nor can I use an arrow to handle it was well.”

“Then how shall you face the snakes in our Parliament then?” Dai Etsu asked as she watched Maiha slowly preparing herself for her next shot. “Hold your left arm a little loser Maiha. Not so tense.”

“The same way that I would if I had never left Kingston Crossroads, mother. I will not face them in their nest but out in the open.” Maiha loosed her arrow then turned to face Katsumi, Dai Etsu, and Alice. “The right words in the right ears and they’ll run. Just like when you set a wheat field a blaze and the snakes run.”

“Then what words shall you use set the fields ablaze that are Parliament and the Hall of Lords?” Dai Etsu smirked at the analogy that Maiha had used for those two august bodies.

“Loyalty oaths and conditioning testes.” Even Katsumi couldn’t believe what Maiha had just suggested. Maiha knew that she had to go on to explain her plan in detail to keep her own family from raising mortal hell with her. “We all know that the clones within the Amazon Collective are conditioned from conception for loyalty to the Collective only. By putting them in the position where they must swear loyalty to the Empire over the Collective they will balk. That or suicide on the floor of Parliament in front of everyone. I know that it sounds cruel but they can always stepdown from their falsely gained position. Either way we will remove the source of corruption within the two branches of the Government.”

“I hate to say this, but it’ll work. I say we go through with Maiha’s plan two days from now. Both the Lords and Parliament are scheduled for hearings concerning the war in the New Confederate System.” Alice knew that she would back Maiha regardless of what Katsumi or Dai Etsu decided.

“When one is faced with a field full of snakes one does not chase in after them. This is a wise choice, my student. You have been paying attention over the years.” Katsumi just smirked and readied her bow for another shot.

Dai Etsu had by now picked out her own bow and an arrow before joining Katsumi on the firing line. As she knocked and drew her arrow Dai Etsu never took her eyes off the furthest target. “Then I suggest you prepare the coroner for an uptake in business child. I have a feeling that many of our Lords, Ladies, and Representatives have no idea that they are clones. Once they take that oath they will die.”

“I’ll make sure that it is done with grace and decorum mother.” Maiha answered as Dai Etsu and Katsumi released their arrows at the same time. Alice and Maiha stood stock still for a few seconds as they realized that the two arrows had hit the same target with less than a millimeter separation.

“See that you do dear. I have no desire to wage another Civil War within the Empire. The Nakatoma’s have long been the sword that sleeps so that the Empire can prosper.” Dai Etsu turned slowly to face Maiha. “We MAY have been forced onto the Throne, but we will not rule through violence.”

“I swore thirty years ago to never become what I hate the most mother. I haven’t broken that vow yet, and I’ll be damned to the gates of hell before I do.” Maiha bowed deeply from the waist to her mother. “We are the Nakatoma Shogunate. We rule with honor and mercy. We are the last Shogunate.”

-----tbc-----

up
743 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

As the song goes "Who let the

As the song goes "Who let the dogs out?"; it does appear that Maiha is now going to release 'holy hell' on a few leaders who have vowed to bring down New Texas and all of its citizens. By doing so, they have also aroused a " sleeping giant' and the picture ain't looking so clear and good for the Amazons and their followers now.

Another amazing chapter

I absolutely love reading a story it makes my weekend and I loved the little Dune reference you threw in there

I think that I

Sammi's picture

would rather have knocked over a hornets nest, those Amazons may have just upset a rather large colony of Killer Bees (or is that Dees?).

Well, the easy part of Maiha's task in Parliament is to uncover the imposters, to have the legalities of those 'LAWS' sorted out may just take her the next 30 years.


"REMEMBER, No matter where you go, There you are."

Sammi xxx

Posted on Sunday?

Thats a whole 2 days extra to wait for this chapter. Better late than never as I was just becoming resigned to waiting even longer.
A great episode with Maiha in a fighting mood. Is it total war or will the Amazons draw back from it? I presume not as their arogance outstrips their abilities which is always dangerous.

If...

I'm reading this correctly, they literally cannot back down. They must have the resources or die. So in their minds they are better off to die fighting.

...

...
Hellsign Arms 13.7-milimeter Vladimir Harkonnen sniper rifle
...
*snicker*
I'm wondering if Gurney or Duncan will make an appearance. Or Murbella? Or, or, or... Too many other to mention. Again, great chapter.

This just keeps getting better

The New Texans are fighting back with a small force against a much larger force and seem to be confusing the Amazons. I did remark way back about getting rid of the Amazons in Parliament but didn't know that they were clones. I hope Mahia gets all of them. I would think that Mahia could also put 2 of the platforms and their battle groups in system to take down the carriers and any new Amazon ships coming into the system which would make them short handed and vulnerable to loose. If they were to also stop all ships trying to leave the system they may find many New Texans aboard.

Well, um, about that ...

* ahem *

My intuition tells me that the River Sluts do not particularly need LIVE specimens to add to their genetic stock. Living hosts may be preferred in optimal circumstances, but they are not required. And this situation is apparently far from optimal.

- Leona

The Amazons are able to use

Sammi's picture

both, Live and Harvested genetic material:
Harvested, though is new the downside is that it needs storage or it breaks down and becomes useless,
Live Subjects, well that is a self renewing source.

The River Sluts are both insane and fanatics

Fanatic

"You forgot the first rule of a fanatic. When you become obsessed with the enemy, you become the enemy."
Commander Jeffrey Sinclair to Security Chief Michael Garibaldi in Babylon 5: Episode "Infection" (S01-E04)

The Amazons have become their own enemy, their Dogma and Rhetoric and Procreation practices are now working against them.

Insane

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results.
Accredited to Unknown.
Though as it turns out, insanity might be crediting that quote to Einstein over and over again. He never said it

How many times have we heard complaints about #th generation photocopies (Xerox's), well the Amazons being clones are copies and they copy, copy and copy again, then they notice in #th generation clones that there is increased likelyhood of illness, short life cycles (not including their punishnemt regimes).

Yet they go out and claime more genetic material add it to the whole and start again, is this not INSANE?

I have to ask though, with the length of time they have been using cloning for procreation, have they lost the ability to procreate in the conventional way?


"REMEMBER, No matter where you go, There you are."

Sammi xxx

Empires

To order giving to Sub Commander Helen Bull show that the Amazons still do not know what they are up against and.
Its about time the Death Dealer get involved and am looking forwarded to when the Empires requires the Parliament to give their Loyalty oaths and conditioning testes.

Flight of the claymore

I hope there is more in New texas's future than to become a rallying cry. The Alamo and Pearl harbor among others inspired troops but no one needs an entire planet of victims. It sounds like all hell is about to break loose and it seems to be about time for it to happen. THE Amazons might have cut things too close for their plans too work.

Time is the longest distance to your destination.

And so the temperature rises.

Robyn B's picture

Others before me have commented about a number of things. I can't wait for Ryuk to suddenly appear in the NCS and cause the Amazons to have to change their underwear...

Robyn B
Sydney

Re: And so the temperature rises.

And Ryuk is only one of the current Shinigami battle platforms in service.

Call in half a dozen or so of them and put them at the hyperspace jump points. Anything coming or going would go through them.

Can we say that an Amazon ship trying to flee would be in the doghouse pretty darn fast at that point. Correction, they'd be dog meat.

Oh wow.

Sammi's picture

the Shinigami Battle Platforms, may be scary when we think about them, but don't forget that like Maiha who is the figure head of the Human Empire, the Shinigami Battle Platform is the figure head of the Midnight Fleet.

Ryuk can't turn up, for the same reason Maiha can't, and that Ryuk is now the Throne room for the Human Empire.


"REMEMBER, No matter where you go, There you are."

Sammi xxx

Re: Oh wow.

Doesn't mean that other Shinigami battle platforms can't go there. Just Ryuk is prevented in that manner, for that reason.

so if they've been replacing

so if they've been replacing leaders in parliament with clones that will vote their way whats to say the radicals in the amazon leadership haven't been replacing the moderates in their own government with their programmed clones so they can take over, either that or they've cloned copies of copies of copies so much that they've degraded their mental capacities so much that they exceedingly more psychopathic copies as they continue. kind of like when the medieval rulers married amongst themselves to keep from having disputes for the crown from outside parties, eventually when you shrink the gene pool it allows some real lunatics to show up.

Once upon a time...

Jamie Lee's picture

There were a group of rag tags who harassed a much larger and well equipped force and caused all kinds of hell. It took awhile but that larger force finally boarded their ships and went home.

Amazon are fighting for their pitiful existance and the New Texans are fighting for their planet. The Amazons chose to forego normal procreation for a method which while grants them ready made adults, but they became slaves to that method and now waste their time and resources conquering others to get the resources to continue cloning so they can conquer and rob. If this actions is logically followed to its conclusion, Amazons will eventually die out because of lack of resources and genetic glitches eventually working their way into the cloning process.

Besides, what kind of a life do the Amazons have if each lacks free will to follow their interests?

Those clones inserted into Parliament may self destruct when the call for the loyalty oath is given. But if the Amazons have anticipated this then those clones could retake the loyalty oath without any adverse effects.

Bencher is about to have a heart attack when he learns Death Dealers are on New Texas. And he's going to lose more than he has spares to replace.

Others have feelings too.