Masks 20: Part 7

Printer-friendly version

Part Seven

The trio in Tricorne's large apergy flyer looked down upon the dirty, deeply shadowed streets and alleys with sensors and eyes. Meanwhile, Energia flew nearby, using her own senses away from the insulation of the van-sized pod. Several sources had pegged this city as one location where The Black Badge was currently carrying out his operation. Some claimed he was focusing on this specific neighborhood.

"I'm seeing a lot of activity down there," said Gadgetive. "It's especially anomalous when you consider that this is officially an economically depressed area with lots of closed businesses and abandoned buildings."

"I can feel that," said Energia, over her earbud. "The activity, I mean. There's lots of electricity being used in buildings which look empty. I'm also hearing what is either a small riot or a bunch of people fighting a low-level super."

"Lead the way!" said Blue Impact, turning the flyer towards her.

Energia found the source of the noises; unfortunately the center of the disturbance was in an old commercial section with associated apartment buildings, where even the regular streets were narrow, with tall buildings crowding around. As for the actual scene of the fight...

"You'll never fit the flyer in there," said Energia. "It's a maze of twisty little passages, all alike."

"Very funny," said Blue Impact.

Outside the rear of an old, multi-level factory building - burnt out years before - they could see a large number of people crowding around a single man. As the four supers approached they saw many more men and even a few women heading in. However, by that time there were far more heading away from the disturbance. The new arrivals were turned back by this exodus.

"I see The Black Badge!" said Energia. "Wow, he's surrounded by a bunch of downed heavies. Now he's trying to chase after one guy, but he's hurt and there's a lot of people on the ground hampering him."

"Head off that one guy," said Blue Impact. "Gadgetive, take the controls. I'm going down."

She dropped onto the roof of one of the buildings and hurried to the fire escape. Blue Impact would have preferred dropping directly onto the pavement, but there wasn't really a place where she could do that without endangering someone already on the ground. Or the pavement.

Meanwhile, Energia flew ahead of the fleeing man. As he approached the end of the alley he was running through and starting to feel hope he would reach the open street beyond, she dropped down in front of him, glowing. Energia was tempted to make her appearance upside-down, but - a bit reluctantly - decided to just hover upright in front of him, her plasma wall making the bricks on either side smoke and spit.

"What's the hurry?" she said, smiling sweetly.

Despite his obvious injuries, The Black Badge reached Energia and her very anxious prisoner before Blue Impact caught up with him. Energia remembered noticing that his outfit appeared out of focus in the few photos of him. In person she could see why; the whole police-inspired costume, including his full-face mask, was matte black and appeared fuzzy.

"What are you doing here?" he snapped, at Energia.

"You're welcome."

"What if I was planning to follow him back to his boss?" said the Black Badge, angrily.

"Then you wouldn't have mentioned that where he could hear it," said Energia, sweetly.

He opened his mouth and took a deep breath, but whatever verbal blast he was about to deliver was cut off by the arrival of Blue Impact.

"Good. You got him." She turned to The Black Badge. "We're after a mastermind who is known to be hiring for several jobs in the region. We've heard that you may be after them, as well. We want to trade information."

She and Energia were acting casual, but both were on full alert. Neither of them had dealt with this man before, and most of their information amounted to little more than rumors. Which told them, among other information, that he often chose to settle situations with violence.

He considered their offer for a few moments.

"You first," he said, finally.

Energia noted that even his voice sounded fuzzy.

"Someone high up in the mastermind's ranks - perhaps even being the mastermind herself - wears makeup which makes her look as if her eyes have exploded."

The Black Badge was obviously startled by this. He began swearing.

"Well?" said Blue Impact.

"I kept hearing people mention something about 'the woman with the weird eyes' and thought it was a vague description of a power or power side effect. But it's makeup!"

"That's the word we have."

"Well, I don't have a name, and the descriptions vary wildly except for the bit about the eyes, but there's one woman who is definitely either second in command or the mastermind herself. She's also out for revenge. Actually, the most definite clue I've head from the low- and mid-level goons I've chased down is that she is trying to avenge her grandfather. Though I don't know who that is."

"That's it?" said Blue Impact, obviously disappointed.

"Oh, I have names, dates and places where people who were hired by people she hired will get together to organize operations. That's how I caught these guys."

Blue Impact nodded, then told him about the two clues they had recently uncovered. As well as about the warehouse full of scandal sheets.

"That's actually funny," said the Black Badge, with a gruff laugh. "Oh, and that's something else I've figured out about this mastermind; she has a sense of humor. She's also being very careful to avoid killing anyone."

"We're going to try and get into Abner Sturgeon's house soon," said Blue Impact. "Do you want to know what we find?"

"No. Let's work at this from our different angles and see who gets to the top first. I'm betting on me. Oh, and thanks for the info on Pink Monkey. I knew she was having a prolonged tantrum but not why."

"Fair enough."

Blue Impact motioned to the still-hovering Energia, who shooed the scruffy man towards The Black Badge.

"Okay, Henry, break's over. Who hired you and for what?"

The man whimpered and protested but in the end gave up a couple of names. The job was a local horological museum, where several models of commercial mechanical chronographs were currently on exhibit.

"Right," said the Black Badge. "That fits the pattern. Get back to your friends, then. The adults have important stuff to talk about."

The scruffy man scampered.

"You need any help with that?" said Blue Impact. "The museum, I mean."

"Nah. They'll be weeks reorganizing. I'll drop word with the local cops and masks and they'll keep an eye out."

"Well, if that's it..."

"I think that will do for now."

Neither offered to shake hands. He turned and walked past Energia, forcing her to pull aside or burn him with her plasma wall. He turned right at the street and vanished.

"Wow. Guy could corner the market on gruff," said the flying super. Who still hadn't landed.

"Oh, I've met a few street masks who make him seem verbose. Okay, Gadgetive, we're done here."

"Can't get the flyer in there," said Gadgetive. "Like bouncy gal said, it's a maze of narrow alleys, buildings just crowded up against each other. Street's too busy to land on, too."

"I am not bouncy," said Energia, rolling her eyes.

"That's fine. Just lower the rope ladder and open the canopy."

* * *

"I'm rather glad I didn't have to interact with The Black Badge," said Vic, once they were all aboard and underway. "He reminds me too much of Mr. Truth."

"The guy who was stalking your family?"

"Yeah."

"I can see that..." said Energia, with a grimace. She would definitely not like learning someone was watching her family. That was one reason she wore a mask and used a nom de guerre. Vic, unfortunately, didn't have the option of such secrecy.

They rode along in silence for a while. However, Energia soon noted they were flying over an area with multiple fast food restaurants.

"Anybody else hungry?" said Energia, mildly.

The answer was "Yes!" unanimously and enthusiastically.

"How about a bucket of chicken?" said Gadgetive, hopefully.

"All dark, extra crunchy?" said Vic, just as hopefully.

"I think we can get a mixed bucket," said Blue Impact, with a tolerant smile.

Bringing a flying vehicle into a stream of ground traffic was always tricky. Fortunately, the time was off-peak for meals. Blue Impact found a chicken place with no line at the drive-through. She brought the flyer down at a steep angle, stopping at the speaker, hovering silently just off the ground without bothering to deploy the landing gear. They were already attracting attention.

"This thing needs a side window," said Blue Impact, as she reached for the canopy control.

"Just use the PA," said Gadgetive.

"Still gotta open the canopy to pay and get our food," said Blue Impact, as she hit the control. The large, clear, curved portion of the flyer slid up and then back.

"Oh; right."

As she placed the order, Blue Impact handled the stares of folks in that parking lot and the one at the steak house next door with professional aplomb; Energia with an impish amusement; Vic with some discomfort; and Gadgetive without notice. From the reaction of the young woman on the other end of the intercom, there must have been a video camera in the speaker box. This was reinforced when they reached the window. She kept a perfectly professional face as she took their money, though people further inside - both employees and customers - were not nearly as composed. Blue Impact paid cash and accepted the change; then they waited. Fortunately, the bucket arrived quickly.

"Wow, that smells good," said Vic, as Blue Impact handed the hot container to Gadgetive.

"Grease and salt," said the team's gadgeteer, grinning. "Two of the basic food groups."

While Gadgetive put the bucket on the flat area below the center of the console, Blue Impact moved the flyer out into the lane - making sure to check the right rear camera, first - then lifted straight up, closing the canopy on the way. At their cruising altitude she put the flyer on autopilot and the vehicle's occupants lowered their trays. Actually, Vic already had hers down.

The team kept the vehicle's refrigerator - located just behind Vic's seat, against the right wall - well stocked with a variety of drinks. Energia used her powers to access it and asked the others for their preferences. Soon all four were happily munching away, while the pod flew itself.

"I think I like being on a super team," said Vic, first to break the silence.

"One of the advantages being access to advanced tech," said Blue Impact.

"Just remember," said Energia, "there's no bathroom in this. Not enough room, with all the other gear."

"Shouldn't be a problem," said Blue Impact. "We'll be home, soon. More potatoes, anyone?"

* * *

By the time the flyer - camouflaged and still on autopilot - settled into its rooftop pen the occupants were comfortably full and the remains of the meal were packed back into the bucket.

"Wow," said Energia, as she put what was worth salvaging in the lair's refrigerator shortly thereafter. "There's hardly enough leftovers for one person to have another meal."

"Still make a good snack later," said Blue Impact. She grinned at Vic. "A responsible team leader always makes sure there's plenty of food around."

"As well as caffeine!" said Gadgetive, firmly. "Though I have to make my own coffee. What you two call coffee is barely flavored water."

"Every time I hear her complain about our coffee, I remember the old joke about the farmer whose life goal was to make a cup of coffee which would hold a furrow," said Blue Impact. She waited for the others to respond, but none seemed to understand her reference. "Ah, well..."

"Another reason to keep well stocked is for emergency team-ups," said Energia, moving the conversation in a slightly different direction.

"There's many more reasons. I - long before I agreed to mentor Gadgetive - had to take my own food and medical supplies to an emergency here in town, one time. For some reason the city delayed responding themselves, and actively kept folks like the Red Cross out."

"You were able to take enough stuff to help on your motorcycle?!" said Vic, startled.

"Oh, I have a small trailer for it. However, for that project I borrowed a delivery truck from a merchant I know in the affected area. Had to sneak out and back in by a way the police had blocked but didn't have anyone stationed at."

Vic looked like she was about to say something, but interrupted herself.

"Sorry. Phone's telling me I have a message."

She pulled the silent device out and opened the missive.

"Doro says that we should catch a radio show that's on tonight," said Vic.

* * *

The four of them made sure to gather in the lounge area a few minutes beforehand. Vic even brought popcorn. The program was an evening talk show, with a host who rarely addressed anything to do with supers. When he did he was usually mildly critical. Tonight he was true to form. He had two guests; one a female psychologist who specialized in analyzing the behavior of public figures; the other a male sociologist who dealt with group trends.

The woman covered - and criticized - a movement gaining strength among popular "psychologists" that super heroes were addicted to the adrenaline rush. The show's host pointed out that this same "malady" could apply to all first responders. The woman agreed, but noted that it was gaining support because there was some truth behind the idea. Just not a lot. The host called a station break.

"None of that is new!" said Energia, angrily. "Including lumping all supers into one category and treating us as if we were all in the worst group."

"The biggest problem with that idea - like she said - is that it is partially valid," said Blue Impact, sighing. "There's also the whole narcissist aspect, the 'look at my works ye mighty and despair' component. Though I think that applies to criminal masterminds more than any others."

"Far more," said Vic, nodding.

"Even many talented masks who do good works are exhibitionists," said Energia. "Though for most that's just early on; they tend to grow out of it or get tired of the whole hero schtick."

The program resumed with the second speaker. He talked about a trend line analysis of the consequences of super activities, and how the consequences were growing worse.

"Again, nothing new and there's not much context," said Gadgetive, as the show went into wrap up. "They're using a power law graph with data from as far back as accurate records have been kept, and extending it into the future without taking into account that people are already working to mitigate the effects he's talking about."

"It does seem like the damage from super villain crimes is increasing," said Energia, obviously concerned. "Overall, I mean."

"Yeah, but that's still on the line. If the conditions change because of actions to reduce the problem, the line is no longer valid. You need to plot a new trend."

"I beg you pardon?" said Blue Impact.

"Look, the rate of super activities - good and bad - is a nearly constant percentage of total human activities," said the gadgeteer. "Because the number of humans is increasing, and the proportion of active superhumans is essentially constant..."

"The total number of super incidents is rising," said Vic, nodding. "That's common knowledge, and is actually part of why the Bureau was created."

"What most folks don't realize," said Gadgetive, finger up, almost lecturing, "is that the impact of super events follows a power law graph."

"Uh..." said Vic, whose reaction was echoing those of Energia and Blue Impact.

"Okay, simple explanation; for some functions to graph a straight line one axis must scale as an exponent. A power. For example, the total worth of billions of people is under a thousand dollars each while a handful are worth billions. That can be plotted on a graph as a straight line using a negative exponent. Same with storms, terrorist attacks and so forth. The rarity is displayed as a power with respect to magnitude, rather than linearly."

"What about the Shilmek attack?" said Blue Impact.

"That's an external factor which you'd think wouldn't fit the plot," said Gadgetive, shrugging. "Though it actually does. Don't ask me why. Some folks claim the effect is universal. Literally. When it comes to super damage, there's also lots of arguments over what the exponent should actually be. Most agree it's somewhere around negative three."

"So," said Energia, frowning, "the more people in the world, the more supers and the more super events. Huge events are vanishingly rare, but with more events the really big ones become more likely."

She very deliberately stared Gadgetive in the eyes.

"Given all that, how long until something happens which ends human civilization?"

"About eighty years," said Gadgetive, squirming uncomfortably. "About a hundred twenty until something happens which kills all humans, with the possible exception of a few supers. That... that's assuming we don't do something to... address the problem. Which people already are!"

She peered at the others during the ominous silence which followed.

"Uh, did you hear me say..."

"Yes!" snapped Blue Impact. "Why hasn't anyone told us about this before?!"

"Huh?! Wait, this is if we don't do anything," said Gadgetive, quickly. "I mean, even normal human actions will doom the world in a few decades if they just keep on like they are. That's why there's so much fuss about correcting global warming. There's always something wrong with the future which has to be fixed. The more advanced trend line analyses take that - and the likelihood of corrections - into account."

"Wow," said Energia, weakly. "I'm relieved... I think. Okay, so... the future is a work in progress. At least some people are always working to make it better. I just hope the anti-super folks don't find out about these forecasts. Their idea of correcting the problem will be to get rid of all supers."

"Huh?!" said Gadgetive, stunned. "No! Whoah, that's exactly the wrong thing to do! That would make things worse!"

"Tell them that," said Blue Impact, quietly.

up
78 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

The future is a work in progress

Happily so is the Masks universe.

Time is the longest distance to your destination.

Well there is always the

Well there is always the Syndrome (Incredibles) alternative.. better yet just make it less of a big deal and more organized response

Masks was largely inspired by

Stickmaker's picture

Masks was largely inspired by that first movie.

Just passing through...

...and, as i've said before...

TheCropredyKid's picture

...is both similar and dissimilar to Marion Harmon's "Capes" books; anyone who enjoys "Masks" should at least check out "Wearing the Cape", the first - only $2.99 on Kindle..

{Amazon had to create the "Superhero" category for it when he first put it up on Kindle.}

 
 
 
x

Hmp. Talk about Ancient Esoteric Knowledge...

TheCropredyKid's picture

...at least from the POV of anyoe under about forty...

"You'll never fit the flyer in there," said Energia. "It's a maze of twisty little passages, all alike."

Okay, i can see Blue Impact having a personal history with Infocom games ... but, what? Did Randy introduce Energia to that particular timesink?

{If you know EXACTLY what to do, it STILL takes something over four hours to play through their "Hitchhiker's Guide" game. Which, BTW, you can still play online here... Save often, and enjoy the Vogon poetry.}

 
 
 
x

It's partly Randy, but mostly

Stickmaker's picture

It's partly Randy, but mostly her high school teachers. Who made sure Energia had a solid grounding in the classics. :-) Also, Maldren wanted to know about Energia's culture and its history.

(Hey, I grew up watching the Flash Gordon and Rocketman serials on Saturday morning TV. Old stuff can be cool to kids. At least those with certain interests.)

Just passing through...