Julina of Blackstone - 090 - Rare and Well Done

Printer-friendly version

Close contacts with the Royal Family

grakh
 
Julina of Blackstone
Her Chronicles, Book 3

by Julia Phillips

090 – Rare and Well Done


Disclaimer:

The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended.
This story is copyright © 2018 - 2020 Julia Phillips. All rights reserved.

It uses some of the associated characters and situations that arise from the world called ‘Anmar’ created by Penny Lane, whose stories
are also copyright © 2010 - 2020 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.


Julina of Blackstone
Her Chronicles
090 – Rare and Well Done

The day started well enough, but the morning soon disintegrated.

Bathing and Tai Chi were all right, but, upsettingly, there was a row before breakfast.

“You can’t wear that!”

“I have nothing else. The Harvest Festival gown requires washing, despite my attempts to keep it pristine yesterday, which we both know was doomed to fail from the outset.”

“But you must have something else,” wailed Prevet. “Something semi-formal perhaps?”

“I have only this and my strained and stained travelling dresses since what I call the Dekarran dress is still being cleaned.”

“But you can’t present yourself to the Queen in a working woman’s garb!”

I picked up not only on her anxiety for me but also the hidden, unstated criticism that my drab dress would reflect upon her prowess as my maid.

“Prevet,” I said both firmly and forcefully, “I shall not be moved on this, so I suggest you push the point no further. I shall, if it becomes necessary, make it clear to Her Majesty that you objected and I overruled you. At the same time I shall make it equally clear that I left Blackstone in a hurry and packed but lightly. I had no intention of being here let alone have an audience with the Queen. On top of that, she knows that I know that she knows I have a minor banquet to cook tonight for her son, pre-arranged without any consultation with me whatsoever. Pah! I confess I am beginning to be irritated by our Royal Family’s presumptions when it comes to my life and their interference in it.”

Prevet’s face was one of such shock that I nearly had to laugh aloud, but she would have been overwhelmed by that, I deemed. She continued to try, of course, but I stood firm.

Eventually, and far too late I thought, I prevailed and we scurried round to the ‘House’ for a swift bite of breakfast and a slurp of pel; where Milsy and Senidet met us, and Prevet started up again.

Both the other girls were wearing their Inventor’s Suits despite the heat that would come later so, when Prevet mentioned her problem with my garb, Milsy simply told Prevet that: “Her Majesty accepts working attire on special occasions and she already knows of Julina’s schedule for the day. She mentioned it to me yesterday.”

Prevet just grumbled under her breath after that and sent beseeching looks to any other maid whose eye she could catch.

“Her Majesty has asked me to take you, Julina, to the room in which she shall be breaking her fast. We really should be there before she has finished doing so! ’Twould not do to be late. I am known to the guards and can thus usher you in easily and I know the corridors we shall require. She will then greet you and take us to another room for her meeting. We may have time for some pel whilst we wait, but I want to leave here as soon as possible to ensure we are not delayed in any way.”

And so the first problem was finally dealt with.

But then we had a problem with Davvy.

Not that I realised this at first.

Frayen had been prepared for us to ride to the Palace. Three for the principals and three for their maids. Julina, Milsy, Senidet with Prevet, Bursila and Molleena.

None for a certain Mistress Davabet.

’Twas only then that I realised how very much Davvy had been looking forward to meeting the Queen personally. I started to wrack my brains for a way round this but was brought to an abrupt halt. Milsy would not allow us any time to arrange another frayen and so we left poor Davvy behind, eyes bright with unshed tears.

As we left, a steady stream of people were coming into the ‘House’. “Those are the counters and such that keep track of Her Highness Garia’s expenses and income and the like. Also some planners, housekeepers and so on. People that do not overnight here but come to work daily.”

“Ah!” I answered – a short reply that Milsy nevertheless understood. I found I was liking this woman more and more.

On the way to the Palace, I was given a quick lesson in Royal protocol. Milsy and Senidet told me that I should first address the Queen as “Your Majesty” and after that initial entitling, she should be addressed as “Ma’am”. They told me when and how to curtsey and told me and Prevet the names of Her Majesty’s servants and those we were likely to meet.

Despite their constant reassurances, I was getting more and more nervous.

We turned into the Palace courtyard and continued through a gate too narrow for anything wheeled where a liveried servant there took charge of the beasts once we had dismounted. Both my companions were readily recognised and Milsy said, almost casually: “This is Mistress Julina, with her maid Prevet. We have an early appointment with Her Majesty.”

“Very well, Craftmistress. Please proceed.”

And with that I was in. Inside the Palace itself. A very rare thing I should imagine, particularly for a lowly-born mountain girl.

Then I was marching along and up and down a bewildering array of corridors. These corridors were filled it seemed with more than several others who all seemed imbued with both purpose and determination. Some were laden with bags or boxes or trays. Some were empty-handed. Some just clutched documents (and I should add here that some of those were clinging onto the documents as if the whole of Anmar would shatter if they let them go!)

We were then shown into a large (to my eyes, then) dining hall. The Queen was unmistakable and was sitting and chatting with three others whom I immediately classified as ‘Ladies of the Realm’. Their very clothing and posture told me they were important. Along with their limited apparent deference.

My legs decided then to start behaving on their own. They took such an effort to move all of a sudden. I frowned at both that and the sudden sheen of sweat I felt in the small of my back. Milsy nearly had to drag me over there to be presented and I confess that I was eased a little when we were met most civilly by Her Majesty and her companions. I curtseyed deeply and the shaking in my legs almost prevented me straightening again. All this was most uncomfortable. And I felt the first stirrings of anger.

“Your Majesty, good morning,” said Milsy “If I may present Mistress Julina of Blackstone as requested? May I enquire if you are likely to require the presence of myself or Senidet for your meeting? We have already broken our fasts and so may go about our duties if not.”

“Good morning, Milsy. And to you Senidet. And thank you for attending so promptly, Mistress Julina. These three ladies are the three Duchesses of Palarand, Vivenne of North Palarand, Sindenna of Upper Palarand, or Brikant as many prefer, and, lastly but not least, Shenna of Lower Palarand, also known as Kendeven.” She paused for me, us, to acknowledge the other ladies who all also greeted us most civilly. “The King has a quick meeting this morning with his three Dukes and so these ladies shall be with us as we conduct our own business.”

I was very aware that all four were studying me quite intently and embarrassment was fighting within me against a rising tide of irritation. I knew I must not lose my temper here, a knowledge that just increased my tension - and this in turn was increasing my irritation. I waged a very private war within myself.

“We shall pass on to the room I have assigned for our private … chat, shall we say, in about five or so minutes, I should imagine, unless some emergency arises. This shall be a chat at which you are not required Senidet, but I deem that Milsy, you should also attend. After all, Milsy, you are the nominal head of matters Blackstone and there shall most probably be some involvement in that way. So if you take a seat over there, you have time for a mug of pel. Bursila, you may show … Prevet, I deem? … where the necessary things may be found.”

I was astonished that Her Majesty knew so much detail about us that she even knew Prevet’s name, but then I remembered that Prevet’s Duchess was seated right by her and might well have whispered the name to her as we approached.

The mug of pel was welcome and did indeed go a little way towards settling me down, but the nerves kicked in again as we all rose and followed Her Majesty and her little crowd of duchesses and servants and some fierce women who looked like guards.

The passage along yet more confusing corridors and skirting around the foot of several staircases was slow, particularly when those we met on the way, who all greeted Her Majesty with a little bow or a curtsey, had no space into which to retreat to give us all a free path.

There was, however, one surprising encounter. We had passed yet another group and the Queen began striding out once more when someone called with a surprised voice: “Mistress Julina? Can it really be you?”

Of course, I stopped and looked round properly at the man. I knew him instantly, even if he was far more smartly dressed than as I normally knew him. “Master Rindal! You are returned from Blackstone? How are you? And how’s Vastan?”

“He is well and, dare I make such a joke, he is blossoming. He and I have ...”

He was interrupted by an urgent hiss from Prevet who used her eyes to indicate that the Queen had turned and was waiting for us to finish. Both Rindal and I coloured and murmured our apologies. I had just time to say to him: “We depart on the morrow hoping to get as far as Tranidor before the rains.” He raised his hand hand to acknowledge he had heard.

We were ushered into a comfortable room, well decorated and with a small kitchen room off to one side that I immediately noticed, for there was pel a’brewing there. There were three Duchesses, one Queen and two commoners present, if a craftmistress can be counted as the latter. And no fewer than eight maids. It was quite tight in there.

Through a connecting door, which was closed, we could hear the low-toned rumble of men’s voices.

The Queen sat down and indicated that the rest of us should do so too. We sat silently as pel things were distributed around and the mugs were poured. The Queen lifted her mug to her lips which released the rest of us into activity. We all also copied her behaviour.

Then she broke the silence: “Thank you all for taking the time on an otherwise very busy day to attend this little chat. Events conspire that we must be swift this morning, I have various guests who shall wish to take their leave for they depart today, this very morning in fact. Mistress Julina there has a large and complex meal for which she has to oversee the preparations, and Milsy here has, I deem, some urgent work to complete, having lost time for the Festival yesterday. I know that Lanilla is already waiting for her.

“I shall therefore commence straight away, foregoing the usual delicacies of general conversation as we sip our pel. But first, I must remind all present, and specifically you Prevet, that anything said in this room today shall remain amongst ourselves and never be spoken of outside this room. Is that clear?”

After all-round confirmation, she restarted: “I am a mother to a family as well as to a country. I thus often act with a mother’s caution and concern. When my son returns home after many weeks of travelling and having lost his recent wife, and yet has another woman’s name upon his lips, a woman to whom he has made expensive gifts of wine and to whom he is promising housing and work buildings, then my suspicions were immediately aroused.”

She looked me straight in the eye, pinning me it seemed to my chair. “We have frequent attempts by scheming young ladies to wriggle and worm their way into some sort of favour, so I instigated some checks ...”

Boom! My nervousness had been steadily increasing ever since the summons had been delivered yesterday afternoon. I had slept badly and I had a lot to do for this dinner that I felt had been forced upon me. Suddenly my temper flared.

She wanted me here today to warn me off any liaison with her son – a man with whom my relationship was already on a somewhat frosty basis. My respect for this Royal Family plummeted in that very instant, and all my frustrations boiled over. I leapt to my feet, rattling the low table with several of the pel mugs resting upon it.

“Enough … Ma’am,” I practically shouted, only just remembering to include her form of address. “You know nothing of me and yet you impugn my character. I shall leave now. You may tell your son that he and his cronies may find his meal elsewhere this evening. I shall be on the road somewhere between here and the South Slip. Now good day.” I turned to stride to the door.

“Sit down, Mistress!” came an icy command. “Allow me to finish, I would recommend.” This last also contained some ice, but not as much as the prior command.

Her tones cut through my red mists sufficiently that I looked around and saw the shocked faces of everyone else in that room. But yet, somehow, it seemed that there were only Her Majesty and I present. Our eyes locked. After just a little while, she allowed some warmth into hers and said more softly, almost encouragingly: “Sit, Mistress Julina! I have only just commenced my story.”

I found myself shaking my head as I sank once more down to the support under my bottom. My legs too were shaking. And my hands. I still had a strange (and, I now recognised, dangerous) mood upon me. It threatened to flare once more as I realised they had all been discussing me behind my back, all investigating me, all making plans for me without actually involving me. I swallowed deeply, closed my eyes and breathed equally deeply.

Calm, girl. Calm, Calm. And do NOT look daggers at any of them. Calm. Calm.

I found myself opening my eyes as I groped for something and finally found it. I gripped Prevet’s hand so hard she winced. An action that did not go unremarked by Her Majesty. Nor by one of the Duchesses. As we found out later.

In an unconsciously arrogant manner, I waved my hand at Queen Terys, as if I was allowing, maybe even commanding, her to continue. Prevet hissed her breath in and SHE glared daggers at ME, and I suddenly realised what I had done. I coloured up immediately, but thought I detected a hint of a grin on Her Majesty’s face.

“So, of course, I set out to find out what I could of this woman. I found that she had captured other’s hearts too. Count Terinar was another upon whose lips her name was mentioned far more frequently than circumstance normally dictates.” She glanced at Duchess Vivenne who nodded her agreement.

“But our dear Merizel also affirmed the virtues of this woman, as did word from Prince Torulf and several others of the party recently returned. And also along with several semaphores from Captain Bleskin. ’Twas in fact one of his reports that put me on the way to my next discoveries. Which afforded me some surprise! You have a number, a large number I would call it, of Exclusivity Licences, Mistress. And I hear that you, rather than Count Trosanar who claimed to have done so, invented the wender system and the bacs that have so recently arrived in our city. And from which you appear to derive a not inconsiderable income - not that I have complete details, of course.”

There was a pause as it took me some while to get over what she had revealed. I thought swiftly as to how I should word my reply. “More than adequate, is how I would describe the income as being, if truth were told. And ’tis something that shall continue as opposed to the sudden riches I have gained from the Exclusivity Licences and my stipend, which shall all fall out when the Licences run out.”

“Stipend, Mistress?”

“Indeed, Ma’am. My father and the Blackstone Glasssmith, Glasswright, Glassmaker or whatever they are actually called, anyway Master Pocular is his name, they both pay me a stipend and also several bonuses each year.” I decided not to mention the gift of the Market Place Mansion. Why complicate things unnecessarily?

“Why should those men do that?”

“Well, as it happens I invented something else, somethings else to be accurate, but at the time I was but a minor. So the Exclusivity Licences for those are in their name, which means that they recompense me in several other ways.”

“You invented other things?” Her Majesty asked, with the slightest of slight notes of shock in her equally slightly fainter voice.

Which note puffed up my pride. ’Twas only afterwards, as I recalled this meeting whilst preparing the dinner, that I realised just how clever she had been. That pride-puffing helped remove most of my latent anger very effectively.

“Indeed so, Ma’am.”

“May I enquire as to what?”

My head was held high as I answered: “The hand-held glass mirrors that every woman now wants.”

“Those mirrors are YOURS?” asked a shocked Duchess Shenna.

I could not help myself. I needed to add some more, in an attempt to elevate myself even more in their esteem. “And the Beam Lanterns.”

“The Beam Lanterns too?” And this time the faintness in Her Majesty’s voice was palpable. And a couple of other jaws had dropped. Which told me that all of them were not just simple figureheads, that they were aware of several practicalities in everyday life.

Everyone was looking at me then, and this time I found I did not mind it so very much. I suspected I detected some elements of respect emanating from them.

“Just so, Ma’am, Miladies, er ... sorry … Your Graces.”

There was a small pause again, before Duchess Sindenna asked: “And do you have anything else in your experienced and already expansive portfolio?”

“Oh indeed, Your Grace. I own and run several inns and hotels, a waggoning company and its offshoot which works, quite successfully as it happens, on the railroad development. I have an interest in the Blackstone Brewery currently being built and also in the Barging company that shall soon operate ’twixt Tranidor and the Palar south of there and Bezlet. I have set up an enterprise dealing with zeers, a simple device that helps keep things cool which elongates the usable life of foodstuffs. And I wanted to set up the Consociation of Caterers after I discovered that there is a demand for learning better cooking techniques and better food serving techniques. I thought that perhaps travellers could then learn to look for recommendations from the Consociation if they are looking for better food.”

My mood darkened then, once again. Which her face told me the Queen was quick to pick up on. “Then Prince Keren tried to persuade me to set up my Consociation downvalley from Blackstone, saying that it should be a national institute rather than confined just to the area we now term Blackstone County. He was aware, he said, that I was a talented teacher and so he wanted to comb...”

I rapidly hauled myself in at that point, for I was oathbound not to mention anything to anyone outside of the ones that had been present.

I thought rapidly: “… combine my teaching and cooking abilities.” Phew!

“I felt under great pressure even though he granted me much time to make up my mind. ’Twas fear of the unknown that made me hesitate. Then I realised that Senidet had made the switch from Blackstone to here, so I determined to ask her advice. So those were the reasons we made our mad dash down to Dekarran - simply so that I could discuss all these unknown matters with her. I had hoped to intercept the Royal Party a long while before we reached Dekarran!”

I trailed off at that point, thinking furiously, not wanting to get near the oath business.

But I couldn’t help adding, somewhat bitterly: “And then circumstances brought us all the way to Palarand where I discover I have been talked about, investigated and indeed manipulated, all behind my back. I must say, if ’tis not already obvious, that I find I resent that. It is as if I am but a plaything for your family to move about as they wish. I am, I consider, nought but a simple country cook and, a while ago, I used to be a part-time mother. I deem I would much prefer to go back to those older, simpler ways.”

I noticed a great look of understanding then, on the faces of both Her Majesty and Duchess Vivenne. I did not manage to tear my eyes away from them to observe the others reactions.

Again there was a silence.

“You used to be a part-time mother?” came the question from Duchess Shenna.

And so I told them about my mother’s death and my earlier life.

“I begin to understand more and more now. But yet I know you are hiding some of your story. Those bret things for instance. You were dashing down here, you claim, and yet still found time to file an Exclusivity Licence application for them, which, I note to your credit, you made open.”

I must have looked shocked (And I was, deeply so – which of Epp or Pachet had done that on my behalf?) since Her Majesty asked: “Did you think I could ignore your latest application when I have discovered your others?”

“Er … no … Ma’am.” I said, still reeling.

“And Merizel tells me you taught people in Blackstone their letters and numbers? And even interviewed the men who became employed as teachers there? And have had a string of ideas for improvements up there?”

I started blushing then. “Er … I believe some might see things like that, Ma’am!”

“Perhaps it is that that added to my son’s determination to get you downvalley.”

Her eyes narrowed as my face must have shown my returning wariness.

“There IS something else, isn’t there? What else has the Prince offered you as an inducement to decamp down here.”

And now I was stuck. Even to mention that there was something else was, in a minor way, a breaking of my oath.

I had a sudden burst of inspiration so I tried to change the subject onto another tack: “I believe that the Prince simply recognised some of my achievements and wished to make use of me, Ma’am. A bit like that Questor we met in the corridor, Master Rindal. Or are they still questors? I am having difficulties enough with the Guilds being abolished and yet retaining, in some instances, the old titles. Guildmasters, Craftmasters, engineers, I don’t know from one minute to the next what terms we should use.” I struggled to keep from babbling as I gushed that lot forward.

I was momentarily pleased that she picked up on one of the little facts I had left dangling.

“The Questor made use of you? That seems strange. In what way did that come about?”

I breathed in relief as I launched into the story of the Haw King, starting with a small correction: “Well not exactly made use of, mayhap those words were inaccurate. You see what happened was that, one day, I went down to our hawbriars to see ...”

There were a few gasps and sighs at the appropriate points as I related that story and I thought, for a fleeting instant, that I had got away with it.

But Her Majesty was (is) made of sterner stuff.

I didn’t appreciate that she was returning to the subject that I was oathsworn not to reveal when she said: “You used the word ‘minutes’. Am I to infer that you understand Earth time measurements?”

“Indeed so, Ma’am. Senidet was busy up in Blackstone installing many of the two-faced clocks that I saw on the wall of your breakfasting room.”

“So you already know this? And you know something about the railroads, and about other transport methods. Is that anything to do with the added inducement my son made that you are so reluctant to tell us about? Or was it about town planning or town agriculture that you also seem to know about?”

I partially gave up my struggle then. “Ma’am, I must beg of you not to take this any farther. I am oathbound to say nothing.”

“Oathbound? To whom? And surely I as your Queen am a trustworthy soul. As is Duchess Vivenne, your liege lady. Surely ALL here can be trusted.”

I shook my head, rather than say anything for my nervousness was increasing.

“And if I or Vivenne ordered you to do so?”

I was aware then that there was a lot riding on this question. There was an intensity in her voice and posture that had not been there before.

I must confess here and now that it was tempting for a moment or two to give in, but then I remembered that Milsy was here too, and SHE wasn’t included in the oath and could not give me orders. That helped firm up my backbone and thusly my decision.

“I’m sorry Ma’am, Your Graces. Even if I was imprisoned for insubordination or insolence or whatever, I would not break that oath.”

I had said this as firmly as I could, but I was still aware that some of my irritation was noticeable in my voice. I clamped down internally once more, my jaw tightly knotted. And I deem the Queen found something to be pleased about in this awkward situation. They all recognised that I really meant what I said.

Which put a restriction on the conversation then.

The awkward pause was broken by Duchess Vivenne once more. A smiling Duchess this time, with a genuine smile, not one of those oily, slithery ones that some people use.

“Well young Mistress,” she began with a light and teasing tone, “I for one want you as far away from Dekarran and my husband as I can persuade you to go!”

I wanted to get annoyed but by the way she said it, I knew there was a light-hearted meaning to her words.

“Duke Gilbanar tasted your wares yesterday and had previously oft repeated that he wishes to travel north just to sample your ‘Salon’ as I believe you term it. He is already far too much in love with you and your meals. It would cost another fortune to reclothe him if your culinary delights were to be too close at hand.”

The tension in the room was mostly released at her words and ’twas with a far lighter mood that that thread was seized upon and expanded by the others. Milsy and I sat there with our mouths shut as they speculated.

“I agree that Blackstone is far too far for people to travel to, at least until the railroad connections are made, and that is still a hand and more of years away.”

“For you, Mistress Julina, the handiest location would be Dekarran, I concur. And yet that is awkward in its own way, for the soon-to-be Federation shall probably also wish to take advantage of your amenities, should you decide to set it all up.”

“And Dekarran can be sometimes difficult to access in inclement weather conditions.”

“Which argument also applies to any of the towns up the Palar river. Hmmmm.”

“But Dekarran is definitely a better choice than Blackstone, I deem.”

“That is true!”

“Palarand?”

“’Tis a possibility surely?”

“We are already getting far more crowded here than ever we were. Did you not see the throngs yesterday?”

“Indeed. Extremely large crowds! Almost frightening, I found them.”

“Surely there is the University that Garia caused to be set up?”

“Yes, Shenna! This Consociation would also, in a way, come under the heading of ‘Places of Education’?”

“True. Maybe there ...”

That Duchess was interrupted by the sudden opening of the connecting door. My anxiety levels leaped skywards once again as the King himself led the way in, trailed by four others – the three Palarandi Dukes and Prince Keren. I struggled to my feet so that I could curtsey properly.

“Your Majesty, Your Highness, Your Graces,” I murmured as I did so. Again, four pairs of eyes bored into mine, five if you count the less intent look that came from the Prince.

“Robanar dear, allow me to introduce Mistress Julina who has arrived in this our capital all the way from Blackstone,” said the Queen. “She is a woman of honour as I have discovered. I, nay we, tried hard to induce her to break an oath, and yet she refused so to do and maintains her refusal.”

At that, my eyes darted to Prince Keren and he looked a little puzzled at first but then his face cleared as he realised the oath his mother was talking about. He urgently turned to the King and said: “Father, I deem that we should indeed implement the decision we just came to in the room behind us. Already. As in now.”

The King looked around the room at us all, plainly thinking.

He made up his mind, grunted slightly and nodded in agreement with his son before turning to his wife: “Terys, my dear, there appears to be little space left in this room. Could we take up the example given us by Garia and just have one or two maids herein?”

A suggestion from a King is far more than just a suggestion; ’tis tantamount to an order.

So the Queen sent all of the maids out except for her own; and except for Prevet, saying: “I deem, dear, that Mistress Julina is feeling nervous and alone here. Her maid Prevet should stay to provide some small degree of comfort.”

“Very well. And you, yes you, the last maid there, please arrange for Tenant Maralin to attend here as soon as possible, if not earlier. What we are about to discuss shall concern him too. But only him, none of his three companions.”

The nervous maid bobbed a curtsey and closed the door behind her.

King Robanar then said: “As usual, whenever we are discussing matters with or about Princess Garia or any of her developments, it is a requirement to take oaths that these discussions shall not be reported to anyone outside of this room at any time until I or Prince Keren give permission. I shall demand such oaths from each and every one of you outside of my immediate family before we start. All Dukes, all Duchesses, you again Milsy and you two, Mistress Julina and Prevet.”

My again rising irritation and anger had been overwhelmed by curiosity, which itself was heightened by the surprise on all the other faces.

Nevertheless, the oaths were all taken and witnessed before the King even considered launching into his explanation. It was no surprise that every eye in the room was upon him.

And he met every eye before breaking the silence: “We all know that Garia has departed on what we have called a ‘mission’ after she herself suggested that word. And ’tis one I find most appropriate. For the complete success of that mission, we must needs put in place various things during her absence. We must proceed as if it is certain she shall return, but we simply know not when, know not the exact date of her return.

“We all here know, hmmmm, mayhap not yourself Mistress Julina and, by extension, Prevet, that Garia came here from a distant planet, called Earth. We do not know the method employed but we DO have incontrovertible evidence that indeed she did.

“None of us wished to believe it at first. However the evidence was and remains irrefutable.

“As my deputies here in Palarand, then it is time that you knew another fact, lest anything happen to me and Keren.”

He paused then but I doubt it was a theatrical pause, rather one that required his gathering of several threads of thought.

“There is no need for us to go into the how of the way the following events happened, suffice it to say however that Prince Keren discovered another person here in the Great Valley that also came from Earth. That person shall be revealed to you when and only when I have his express permission. Incidentally, I do not believe that identifying him as a man shall be sufficient of a giveaway for any of your incurably inquisitive minds,” he added with a distinct twinkle.

This time there had been several gasps. And much thinking was going on, the faces told us.

“The person is sworn to another land and so we cannot treat him just as a Palarandi citizen. But I shall return to that in a short while. For now, I must return to Garia and her mission.

“I can now reveal to you here gathered together that she has gone to amass what materials she can from her home world! Yes, she has returned from whence she came. And will then have once more to return here.

“Her decision to agree to do this exceeding dangerous task was one of the bravest I have ever witnessed, particularly as the opportunity to achieve this arose so shortly after she married the love of her life. Her selflessness is a lesson to us all, as is the suffering that Prince Keren has had to bear.

“She has, as I indicated, returned to her world to gather together into some easily portable form whatever
material she can. Material that she deems will be helpful to the development of ourselves and all Anmar.

“And it was the Prince who thought this through most thoroughly, far more so than any of the rest of us.

“For there is one enormous difficulty with Garia’s plan that we had all overlooked.

“Consider what is to happen upon Garia’s return! She shall have to supervise the ongoing implementations of her current ideas as well as come up with other new ideas. At the same time as being seen by the citizenry as the wife of the heir to the Throne. She is a very capable woman, very capable indeed, but not even she would be able to read her material and pass it on for everyone else to use whilst still doing all her many, many other duties.

“Because we had overlooked the fact that she shall bring the material and it will NOT BE IN THE PALARANDI TONGUE.”

A chorus of gasps rang out, with murmurs of things like: ‘Of course’ and ‘What shall we then do?’

“Keren, you all know, was recently in Blackstone and whilst there he met a remarkable young woman who has demonstrated clearly her many-faceted abilities. She has some knowledge of the technicalities of the developments that are already happening, she has proven herself capable of adapting her thinking sufficiently, she is a talented teacher, and she demonstrated an ability to learn enough to try to converse with others from distant lands. And she wanted to set up a sort of Cookery School.

“Keren was awoken in the middle of one night by a sudden realisation. This woman could be employed to teach many of our Questors and the like the language of Garia so that they can access Garia’s material directly.

“But first she would have to learn that language herself. That would take a certain amount of time. And, only after that, could the lessons for the Questors begin. Which too would take time. Maybe it can be said that time for this project was in fact already running out!

“Keren tried a few phrases that he had picked up from Garia. Mistress Julina likewise picked them up and used them herself. So he was sure that he had found someone he deemed to be an ideal candidate.

“And then he realised that this task would not be one that could be done all day, every day. It would take many weeks for someone to become fully proficient.”

He looked over at the Prince then, who took up the conversation: “So if I could persuade Mistress Julina to come downvalley and open her Consociation somewhere down here, the Questors could have a few hours or days off to go somewhere close by without TOO much disturbance to their other duties.

“If it were in Blackstone, then the disruption involved would be enormous. Just taking the two weeks to travel there and back would ruin many work plans and so on, let alone the time required for the lessons. It was therefore obvious to me that it was imperative that this language training be far closer to the centre of Palarand.

“And Mistress Julina could also gain some coin from her own academy of excellence, which she could operate on days not devoted to language lessons. It seemed to me that it fit all the requirements almost perfectly.”

He grinned wryly, then. “But I nearly made it all go wrong, for I did not approach Mistress Julina in the right way – a lesson I have taken to heart and hope to do better should there be a next time.”

The Queen reassured him: “A good way for you to learn, Keren. We must remember you are yet young, despite the extra knowledge so recently gained which makes you seem so much wiser. On the negative side though, I fear it has turned Mistress Julina against our family somewhat.” She cast a shrewd gaze in my direction. “She feels she is being manipulated to do things by all of our actions taken behind her back.”

The King raised his eyebrows at that: “Then we must make amends in some way. We shall think about that. But to continue. The difficulty was … Ah!” he broke off as a slightly dishevelled and out of breath Tenant was ushered in.

“Thank you for coming so swiftly, Tenant. May I present the three Dukes of Palarand and their wives, some of whom you have already met. The rest I deem you have already met at some time.”

There was the usual murmurs of making acquaintance after which the King continued: “We were just discussing Mistress Julina’s proposed school for cooking excellence and all the rest and I knew you were involved with cookery before.”

I raised my eyebrows at the others who raised their own eyebrows at the apparent change of subject matter, and the slight prevarication.

“I regret,” the King continued, “the sudden demand for your attendance but we have much more to do this morn, and are pressed for time. Would you be agreeable to my revealing your background with regard to this matter? The usual oaths have been taken from all here, I assure you.”

The Tenant paused for thought, looked around at all those present, before finally nodding what was obviously a reluctant agreement.

“It must come out at some time, and these are the highest nobles in your land. Very well, then. But I must say, I thought I would manage to maintain a lower profile until after the rains!”

All eyes swivelled then to the King.

“And so, all of you, I can finally present to you the other person I mentioned as coming from Earth. Tenant Maralin...”

He continued as we all, myself included I am ashamed to admit, studied this suddenly exotic creature standing before us.

“… Just like on Anmar, Earth has many differing languages. Tenant Maralin, fortunately, is fluent in Garia’s language. In fact they come from different cities in the same country! The Tenant has been approached and has agreed to help out as he can.

“Remember also that if Mistress Julina declines, then we still need to find someone else to work with the Tenant. That will impact on the number of people who shall be adequately trained when Garia returns. Quite possibly inducing a considerable delay into many projects.”

A great dawning of awareness struck all in the room at that moment. And I suddenly remembered the strange intensity the Tenant had used in our meeting yesterday as he spelled out his name for our brets.

Milsy forcefully breathed out in a sudden but deep understanding of why she had been included here. If I chose to insist the Consociation was to be in Blackstone or in Palarand, then she would be closely involved in some aspect or another of getting it up and running. If I chose to decline, then she would most likely be tasked with finding another candidate.

His Majesty then continued: “Maralin can teach Mistress Julina the Earth tongue, called, I seem to remember, Ingrish ...”

“English, actually, Sire. The leading letter though is an ‘E’ and not the ‘I’ that the sound implies.”

I realised with a sudden shock that Tenant Maralin had just given me my first lesson!

“English then. He can teach her both the language and can perhaps teach her some of his cooking skills too.”

There was pause as we all started to take all this in.

One of the Duchesses started the clapping that broke the quiet.

Another simply said: “An elegant solution.”

“This, Mother, was the oath that Julina took and refused to break.”

He turned to me: “Again I must apologise to you, Mistress, for handling the initial steps so … so ... so … callowly. I hope now that you understand the very importance of my scheme to the future of Palarand and also even Anmar?

“And I have been thinking further along the matter.

“You will of necessity need to spend time with Tenant Maralin and two solutions occur to me, the second of which I shall confess from the outset is my favoured one.

“Firstly, you would travel some more, this time to Joth where you can spend as much time as required with the Tenant and he can have the least disturbance of his life there. But you would need to leave as soon as you may for the rains shall soon be here and travel there shall shortly become impossible. There we would have no influence over the set-up and maintenance of your Consociation, and the benefits of that organisation would be barely felt here in Palarand.

“Secondly, with the Duke and Duchess’ permission, you set up your Consociation somewhere in Brikant. This is still a part of Palarand but is a day and more’s journey nearer to Joth, thus easing the Tenant’s necessary journeys. HE will, of course, have much to say on this subject.”

Maralin was deep in thought, his brain obviously whirring at high speed. Everyone waited for him. And I really do mean everyone.

"Sire, I expect that I shall have to come to Palarand reasonably often for both Federation business
as well as the special Council meetings that shall occur. If we could mostly co-ordinate those tasks,
then I think it will be better for Mistress Julina to be based here in Palarand. However, I know there
shall be times I need to see her, or she needs me to visit, outside of the timings of the meetings I
shall need attend here. Thus I consider the Brikant solution to be the best.”

Duke Visselen then said slowly: “There is that old crumbling brick-built mill by the east lake, the one left when the Sirrel cut across and left it isolated. We could refurbish that I suppose. The now-abandoned village that grew up around the mill could also be refreshed, I should imagine.”

He glanced first at his wife. She briefly considered and then nodded. So he continued: “Mistress Julina, I declare that we could indeed accommodate you and your wishes. If you do in fact decide to do this, you should send us at the soonest opportunity the specifications of what shall be required.”

A further silence descended.

And there it was.

The moment of my HUGE decision.

All my questions had been answered as best as they ever would be. I would gain no more knowledge.

And still I hesitated.

Once again everyone in the room awaited a response. But this time ’twas I who was the focus of their attention.

“Your Majesties, Your Highness, Your Graces. I do not really wish to keep this hanging on, but feel I need to discuss this with my companions. I shall keep to the Consociation as my subject matter, of course, but as to where it should be and as to whether I should try to do this English thing, that causes me some indecision still.”

I realised then that I was being unfair and extremely mean to all, not just those present in this room. Everyone who would be involved needed a response as soon as I might.

I held up a hand whilst I re-examined all the questions, all the answers, all the factors. They started murmuring to each other after a while.

Finally, I said: “I shall do it all then and would prefer the Brikant option, now I have more knowledge of other factors.”

Prince Keren let out a little victorious sort of ‘Whoop’ and their Majesties wore broad smiles.

And then all sorts of strange things started to happen.

One began with Duchess Vivenne asking me: “What, Mistress Julina, are then your immediate plans?”

“I shall have to cook for those the Prince has invited this evening. We have determined it shall be a five-course dinner so I must get started as soon as I may. Then in the morning we shall depart to get to Dekarran as soon as we might. We shall there visit your castle once more and reclaim our frayen before starting out on our journey northwards, back up home. The rains are far more bearable up there for they are not as intense as I have been told they are further down the valley. This I suspect is because we are sometimes above the level of the clouds.

“After the rains are over, during which time I shall have set all my businesses in order, I shall return to Dekarran and from there to Brikant to start up this new venture. I know not at this moment just who shall accompany me, but that is the general plan.”

Then the surprises started up more obviously. For the Duchess continued: “Prevet, you have been assigned temporarily to Mistress Julina. Shall you like to continue with her, or shall you prefer to return to Dekarran Castle? You have no family, I deem, at the castle and this way you might satisfy some of that long-declared wanderlust.”

“Your Grace, I would be delighted to continue with her, for I have learnt so very much in even these past few days. Her plans I find excite me, and I would be happy to continue as her maid.”

The sheer delight and happiness she radiated at this unexpected opportunity was very sobering to me.

“Mistress Julina,” the Duchess now turned her attentions once more to me, “I would be prepared to release Prevet into your care, if you swear to me to look after her as best you are able. Should you like to have her as your servant?”

I looked at Prevet and was moved by the enormous hope I could see shining in her eyes. “Despite my obvious temper, and despite the enormous amount of travelling you shall be required to do?”

“Oh yes, Mistress,” came the firm reply.

“But I do not know how to behave with and to a maid. ’Tis not something to which I have been trained.”

“You are doing just fine, I deem” said Her Majesty. “And Prevet is oathsworn as to the secrets of today. It shall be a relief to you both to be able to talk about some of these events with one another when in private.”

And so, with various further oaths and ‘heard and witnessed’s, Prevet became my maid, released from the ties to Dekarran castle.

The surprises continued as I learnt that of all those present, only the King and Queen and the Dekarran family were not going to be attending my meal later.

I dared risk a small joke with Duchess Vivenne: “You shall not then have to control your husband this e’en? I am relieved. For you did warn me that his appetite is prodigious. I have only a finite amount I can prepare!”

I was surprised at the great roar of laughter Duke Gilbanar himself gave out and the little punch the Duchess gave him.

Then I was surprised at the congratulations heaped upon me by Their Majesties and the Prince and the obvious delight that I had given the Dukes and Duchesses.

Duke Gilbanar cornered me for a small private chat which Duchess Vivenne scooted over quickly to hear. They both had a twinkle or two in their eyes when he told me: “Count Terinar sends his compliments and looks forward to seeing you again on the day after tomorrow. He has been put in charge of getting our little convoy of carriages and wagons together while we wait here for all this talking to calm down! He apologises for not being able to take his leave personally.”

… … …

Leave. The appropriate word for this moment.

All I wanted to do was to leave and get back to Blackstone, tell everyone there and in Bezlet – oh, and in Tranidor – what I was going to do. I was working in automatic mode as my mind mulled over what I would have to do now the project was confirmed and commissioned.

There was a cry of “Ouch” from behind me and the clatter of a metal dish dropping to the stone floor, accompanied by a splash and a muttered “Balth!”. I whirled round and saw that a pot of sauce had been dropped.

My mind refocussed on the task in hand, that of the meal, again. “Never mind, ’twill just cost us a little time, that’s all.” I swiftly scooped the pan off the floor, gave it to the nearest hand to wash whilst I cleaned the floor. Spills on a stone kitchen floor can be dangerous to people rushing about concentrating on their cooking.

Then I had an idea. “Heliga, can you please come and make another pan of this sauce for us?”

I told her the ingredients and the amounts and then turned back to do another task. I shocked her by not giving her any instructions. Secretly I knew that I could always make up another pan at the last moment should it become necessary. But I wanted to give her confidence. After a nervous gulp or two, she started out on her task and I breathed a sigh of relief. Once she conquered her nerves, the task went ahead. It was a delight to see her body posture straighten as the confidence flowed into her.

Yes, there were other minor accidents but thankfully no great disasters.

I will gloss over the congratulations we all received at the end of the dinner, basically all on the central theme of ‘Well Done’, and shall mention only the guest list.

The Prince was there, of course, as were the two Dukes and Duchesses, and The Twins were of course with one of those pairs. Then came, somewhat surprisingly, Tenant Maralin and his three henchmen, led by a man called Varran it seemed to me. There was another couple who seemed out of sorts to be there, just overdressed somehow and strangely nervous. Maralin and his merry men did well to ease their discomfort throughout the evening. Milsy and Tarvan were also present as was Senidet, Tedenis being on duty. Finally there were the Commander and Jenet and Gullbrand, of course.

That made nineteen who all sat down before the final couple had arrived. We had been told in advance that there would be twenty one of them, so we catered for twenty five diners just in case any plates were dropped or any extra diners turned up. There were always more plates available for we cooks to eat from even though we had been nibbling all day. And there were more for the Blackstone House guards, the maids and the families too, although these were not served quite as elegantly as Waxerwet insisted happen in the Dining Room.

She was eye-openingly magnificent and I was relieved I wasn’t called to the Dining Room once during the whole evening.

This having a relative abundance of ‘leftovers’ was quite useful as it happened. The final pair turned up accompanied by a squad of guards.

Yes, I, we, cooked for the King and Queen that night. That had been kept a secret from us so as not to worry us too much in the kitchens.

Which cheered Davvy up somewhat for she could now say she had met them both. Which we did when we were all called into the Dining Room at the end of the repast.

(It was only many weeks later that Maralin told me the odd couple weren’t actually a couple as such. He was the Palace Head Cook and she was one of the Kitchen Supervisors. Apparently they were very impressed and indeed, later in the year, we had more than a few of the Palace kitchen staff come to Brikant for a week for training with little notes on areas upon which to concentrate.)

There were also compliments about the decoration of the dining room, for which I praised Mistress Gythy fulsomely, as did Gullbrand, Milsy and Tarvan. That was something else that got some pleasing ‘Well Done’s.

The diners all departed relatively early, their Majesties being the first to do so.

Duke Visselen, Duchess Sindenna and The Twins all took me to one side promising me they would get started on the allocations I would require in Brikant after I told them what I would need. I gave them a short list there and then, to which Maralin added a couple of things. The Duchess promised that I could stay with them whilst the building work was happening, should I have returned from Blackstone by then.

I then learnt that they would leave in the forenoon tomorrow after a quick meeting called by King Robanar. And that Maralin and his cohorts would accompany them. They left us all in a bunch, chatting together as they went.

Finally the last of the non-domestic diners had departed.

And then we residents sat down to relax, once the younger ones, still excited at the unusual events of the evening, had been sent off to their beds with my special thanks ringing in their ears.

At least that was my intention. Just sit and unwind with a glass of wine and probably a few sorrowful good-byes to those we would not see in the morning.

But it didn’t happen that way. For I was then the recipient of a number of shocks.

Gyth and Waxerwet informed me that they would not be coming back to Blackstone with me on the morrow! Gyth had apparently landed a commission to redesign Lady Something-or-other’s town residence. The Lady in question had visited whilst I was with the Queen in the Palace and had been delighted with the alterations. Upon finding out that Gyth had been responsible, she issued a commission there and then.

Thus Gyth had decided that she would stay down here until the job was done. Waxerwet would not let her daughter stay alone, so she would stay too. I was to look after their house up at home for them, maybe rent it out for a while, there were always plenty of newcomers arriving and needing somewhere to stay whilst they found their way about. I swear I saw a contented grin flit across Gullbrand’s face when the elder woman made her announcement. Waxerwet’s assumed a more mask-like attribute.

The next shock came when I learnt that Toria had sent messages to Dekarran, requesting leave to stay with Waxerwet and Gyth. She too wanted to ‘do a Prevet’ as she put it.

So there would just be three of us leaving on the morrow. Myself, Davvy and Prevet.

Then I started telling them all more about Blackstone itself, its history (as far as I knew it) and its hopes (as far as I knew them.)

My mind was full of things I would need to do upon our return.

I slept but fitfully that night.

… … ...

We roused, bathed, Tai Chied, breakfasted and loaded the coach that Milsy had arranged to take us to the stagecoach stop in the city centre.

Insects are funny creatures, basically annoying and some of them even bite or sting. I try to ignore them usually.

But this one I watched for some reason. It flew in a seemingly random pattern as it crossed the courtyard.

Quite why it should have chosen to fly up one nostril of one of the pair of frayen is beyond me. But it did.

Which made the frayen whinny as he jerked and stomped around a bit.

Which made its paired beast do likewise.

Which made the coach jostle.

Which made Davvy fall as she was just then at the most vulnerable moment as she climbed into the conveyance.

Which she didn’t. She fell rather than climbed.

Which meant she stretched her one good arm out to cushion her fall.

Which meant she snapped her wrist. With a loud and sickening crack.


up
173 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

rare and well done

To be honest, you lost me with your title, well done I have no problem to fit in, but where to apply to rare?

But anyway thanks for a nice read (as usual).

Yours, Leontine

You must have missed the reference

It was as they entered the Palace.

"And with that I was in. Inside the Palace itself. A very rare thing I should imagine, particularly for a lowly-born mountain girl."

Really Good!

The decision is made (with plenty of drama). Davvy's injury makes the upcoming travel uncertain; so, it's tune in next time.

Thanks for sharing.

Davvy

Ouch. that wont be fun without being able to help herself till her wrist recovers

Double post

deleete

So we have two

parallel stories with Maralyn in both, awkward?

Why awkward?

We discussed this in comments recently. The Visund is voyaging a goodly number of weeks before the events described in here. Maralin, in Penny's tale, has sailed up the Sirrel with Eriana and been delivered to his home. This a week or so after they set off from Dekarran. Which they did long before Keren and his 'konvoy' even arrived in Blackstone.

Maralin is merely a character in both tales.

I hope that has cleared it up for you?

Please continue to comment - all are valuable.

Thanks again

Joolz.

Foregone conclusion

Well we knew she would do it given the gravity of the task.

But what of compensation?

How should she benefit financially out of this venture?

I will not be happy until they figure out how to make up for the enormous sacrifice she is making.

Rare and well done

Well we knew there was much at steak with this chapter.

Some how...

I think that in some ways, Davvy's broken wrist may be the most significant happening in this chapter... After all I suspect that Julina isn't going to want to leave her alone in Palarand. Nor is Davvy going to be up to traveling for at least a day or so....

Yes, best laid plans and all that

She may very well experience the rains from a different perspective.

Luckily she has a lot of able lieutenants and a partner.

An extended stay at Blackstone Hotel in the offing I suspect.

I feel sorry for Davvy fist

I feel sorry for Davvy fist she gets slighted, even if it was unintentional, by being left behind and made to feel as if she wasn't important enough to meet the Queen. Personally I think she should have been included in the meeting when the decisions were made and confidences shared as she is Julina's personal assistant just as Merizel is Garia's personal assistant.
now she is going to feel like she is being excluded when Julina can't tell her things that she has sworn an oath not to. But yet she can tell them to her maid which she barely knows. if she figures out that things are being hidden from her it could destroy some of her confidence that she has been building up in herself which she gained by being treated as an equal. she could see this as others thinking her untrustworthy.
Then to top it all off she falls and breaks her one good arm which coud make her feel even more helpless and useless

Good points

Davvy needs to be brought into the fold.

I do believe that after

I do believe that after Julina has proven herself to the King and Queen; plus come up with a few more new ideas for items or businesses, she will be rewarded by the King with some sort of royal title, which she richly deserves now. She has truly helped the nation towards its destiny and a new age of education and wealth.

A noble title you mean

A royal title is Duke and above I think.

Anyhow, it looks like she will be stuck there for a while.

The Queen likes her, and I think the Queen will enjoy having Julina keep her on her toes.

She likes Julina’s strength of character, her willingness to stand up to her despite their huge difference in rank.

I could see

The Queen, if she had heard of such a title, naming Julina as a Dame, this is the modern equivalent of a knight hood. Of course, we haven't seen knights at all in this story, so, that leaves the lowest level of the nobility to consider. But that seems to be fraught with great political considerations which will entail much wrangling. Not many are elevated to such a title on merit alone. So maybe the king will create some new title that can be given by the royals as a title of merit?

Honours

The British honours system is mostly based on the Order of the British Empire so while the king could create a paralandi honour system, it may make sense to wait a little longer and create an Order of the Sirrel Federation - especially as Julina's reputation and inventions have already crossed borders.

Chivan

I imagine that their system is somewhat loosely based on the Roman (Chivan) system. How that translates to whatever empire existed between the Chivans and modern Palarand we don't know, but there is some bleed through.

Wiki

Well supposedly the British system is derived heavily from the Romans.

The lowest title in the British system would be Lady.

Garia herself was granted the style of milady before becoming baroness.

Julina would not be a commoner any longer.

She may gain a greater title for her service to the country, given time.

A non-commoner title may be needed for her to give her more authority to teach those obstinate questors.

Hmm!

Now that is a consideration I bet the King and Queen have been thinking on. There will be people like the questors but not restricted to them who she will have to teach. She will probably need a title of some sort to start with. Eventually maybe Garia bringing in the tradition of 'Teacher' for her martial arts cadre will spread?

Education in Palarand

I suspect till now there has not been a system of public education in Palarand so illiterate people would be pretty common.

That said, it is likely teachers rub shoulders with the upper class a lot as they are the ones who have the money to hire the best teachers so Julina may not need a title with them necessarily. Questors can be a surly bunch as Garia finds out so to get them to be willing to learn from a mere female may require Julina to gain enough status to ensure she can properly enforce authority while teaching.

Julina already has ...

Julina already has at least one contact amongst the Questors. As well as contacts among the Guilds (engineers).

I am aware

However, there are a lot of questors with bad attitudes if you recall Garia’s demo at their conclave to elect a new leader.

There are bound to be a bunch of recalcitrant ones as attitudes don’t really change over night.

Could Be A While

Maybe even not in Julina's lifetime. If you take the example of Master Tanon a very prosperous and wealthy merchant who has and is performing a number of services for the state, I think it's easy to conclude that the idea of rewarding successful (and very loyal) commoners with noble titles has not come to Palarand yet. It's possible Princess Garia might introduce the idea. Depending on Julia we'll likely eventually find out; since, I believe, Julina's story is a recounting of her life rather than a current time narrative.

Yup

And remember, Garia was mainly initially given a noble title largely on the basis of the royal family adopting her, at least officially. I think its more likely new 'common' rank titles will emerge, ones that aren't carried on the basis of birth or marriage, after all, as new specializations emerge and more skilled labor and literacy happens, it only makes sense to have ways of addressing ones occupation and skill.

Tanon

Tanon cannot serve his purpose if he has a title.

His role acts as a cover for all of his spying/information gathering activities.

Being a mere ‘humble’ merchant has its uses.

And Julina being a "commoner"

And Julina being a "commoner" has its uses too, shows how far one can get regardless of gender or status,

Not for this situation

She needs authority. She is teaching probably no small number of misogynistic men who barely respects their king let alone a lowly common woman.

Garia has started the process of breaking down those barriers but keep in mind that even in our ‘enlightened’ age, sexism and harassment is still rife in academia.

By being promoted, it indicates she is respected at the highest level of their government for what it’s worth.

Unlike Tanon, she has no need for subterfuge.

Unlike in the movie ‘Under Siege’ being underestimated is not necessarily a good thing.

It would have to be an existing title

Like Guildmistress or something.

An unknown title from whole cloth would be meaningless to her audience and she would have to waste precious time gaining their respect.

A noble title bypasses this issue.

They are aware new titles are

They are aware new titles are forming, in addition it wouldn't be hard to have people vouch for her as well.

Devil’s advocate question

So, why are there not any questor linguists?

I mean, I am sure there are linguists who helps the king to communicate with other parts of Alaesia. I believe that it was mentioned in SEE that the king has corresponded with the Overguide of the six cities.

So, I would think that those linguists should also participate in training with Maralin. I mean, if I were a Palarandi linguist I would jump at the chance.

I mean, really, Tanon must employ linguists as he trades with very distant lands.

Julina can then continue to do what she does best.

Even, if Julina does teach, I would gather the best linguists in the land to learn from her first.

Davvy

Poor girl! T'wasn't for bad luck she'd have no luck at all! Regarding the incident at the start of the chapter, Prevet: overbearing maid, not of Blackstone. Davvy: sweet young lady, wouldn't hurt a fly, Blackstone native.

Julina: "Prevet, get off your mount! Davvy will ride it."

Damaged people are dangerous
They know they can survive

Davvy is poorly used

I fully expected that Davvy would be given a chance to shine in this chapter. An impromptu interview with the Queen, leading to a recognition of her talents and a boost to her badly abused ego. A public proclamation that put her naysayers firmly in their places. Don't let her be a used and discarded spear-carrier.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin