Ginny's Story Chapter 78

Printer-friendly version

Author: 

Audience Rating: 

Publication: 

Genre: 

Character Age: 

Permission: 

Ellen and <Jinny.jpg
Wendy 1.jpg

Ginny's Story

A novel by Karen Lockhart

Copyright© 2018 Karen Lockhart
All Rights Reserved.


 


It's funny how things happen


CHAPTER 78

We ended up parking beside Mr Logan's Corvette. What a cool looking car!

As I headed for the bar, I bumped into him.

“Afternoon Ginny, ready to flip some bottles around with my daughter?” Logan asked. “You and Jean were a big hit on Saturday you know. Our membership has increased because of the two of you.”

“That's what I need to talk to you about Mr Logan.”

“Please call me Ian, Ginny.”

“Okay. Ian, I thought about performing on stage on Saturdays and I decided to just be a bartender. Terri the Tiger should be a solo act. No dividing tips or attention, just Terri.”

After a moment, Logan laughed, and while scratching his head said, “The old man was right, he said you'd only do it once. He's still a great judge of character.”

“What?” I must have looked like a goldfish with my lips flapping. “Hiram knew I wouldn't follow through doing the stripping routine?”

“Yes Ginny, Dad told me during your second appearance on Saturday.” I stared into space for a moment, “Are you upset with me, err, Ian?”

Ian Logan paused, “Ginny, you and Jean are different people. You're both good, decent people, however a stripper has a different mind set from most people that allows them to take their clothes off in front of strangers.”

“Jean is the best at what she does, and you are a great bartender, now go tend bar.”

Bobbie was leaning back with a smirk on her face. “I told my father to listen to Gramps, but would he listen? No. Mr three thousand dollar suit thinks he is always right. Well, I won $50 from him, and Grampa won $20. Are you happy Ginny?”

I gave her a hug and a peck on the cheek.

I looked at Chris and asked if anyone was interested in a slightly used Tiger suit.

This was broken up by an old man banging on the bar shouting “Service, I want service!”

Bobbie laughed, “Better see what my grandfather wants, before he gets tossed out of here on his ear.”

On the way to Hiram, I stopped just long enough to make two Cosmos, leaving one for later.

“It's about time! I thought I'd have to sober up.”

“You old phony,” I said, “Betting money on whether or not I'd dance with a three inch fireman's pole.”

“Ginny, I figured you got a rush on Friday and as Saturday went on, you lost the urge, but being the person you are, you'd finish the night, but not do it again, no matter the money.”

“Thanks, Dad, but I have a real serious question for you - a personal question.”

Hiram looked surprised, “Honey ask anything.”

“I'm getting vibes from Cathy that she likes me. You know her the best, is this true?”

“First he's a cross-dresser, totally heterosexual. And yes, Jack likes you and would like to ask you out, but he dresses better than most women. That makes him self-conscious and worried you would laugh at him.”

I smiled, “Tell Cathy to wear men's clothes, then ask me out. Oh, shoot, here he comes; not a word about this, you trouble-maker.”

I walked to the beer siphons and drew a tall Pabst and placed it in front of her.

“Thanks for the orchid plant, it's beautiful,” I said.

Cathy reddened and mumbled a 'thank you'.

A couple of waitresses needed orders filled, so I took care of them. They both asked if the rumor that Saturday was the last time Toni would appear was true. Laughing, I assured them it was.

“Too bad, she was mega-hot, good for the business.”

I just snorted, “Yeah, mega-hot, my toucis.”

I got busy and forgot about Hiram and Cathy. Soon, they needed a second drink. I put together the second Cosmo and pulled another draft Pabst.

When I set the beer in front of Cathy, she asked me to wait. Reaching into her purse, she placed a photo on the bar.

“Ginny, would you go to dinner with this guy?” Cathy asked.

I turned the photo around, peered closely at it and said, “That's you, isn't it? Wow, no matter how you dress, you look great. If that guy asked, the answer is yes. But, if Cathy asked, the answer is still yes.”

Hiram laughed, and Cathy was speechless.

I walked away, the next move was his.

On my break I went upstairs to listen to Ariana sing. That kid was great, I could listen to her sing for hours.

I chatted with the bartenders. Joy was excited, showing me her engagement ring.

'Thank goodness this is Massachusetts, I never had the GRS, but here it's legal, since in the eyes of the law, I'm a guy.”

“Joy, in my mind you're a beautiful woman, and always will be.” Looking at my watch, I said. “Time for me to go, my break's over.”

As I came down the stairs, I could hear “Satisfaction” on the sound system. Jean's on again.

Around 1:30 Cathy walked towards me, paused, and asked if on my next day off, would I like to go to dinner and see a movie.

I leaned over the bar and planted a kiss on his cheek. “I would love to.” Grabbing a cocktail napkin, I wrote my cell number and handed it to her, asking who would show up, Cathy or Jack.

“Jack! Who told you my name? That old sneak!”

I told him to shoo, it was time to close, and go to bed.

I met Jean for the ride home. Guess what the topic of conservation was! Wishing me good night, Jean headed home, and I entered the condo.

Wendy was awake, and she pounced. “What did Logan say? What did Hiram say about the guy all dressed up?”

I told her about the bet, and my dinner date on my next day off. Her response, “Can you get me a signed baseball?”

I just went to bed.

On Tuesday, I decided on pancakes and bacon for breakfast. I was sick of cheeseburgers for dinner each night so I quickly made some ham and cheese sandwiches, and tossed in a Granny Smith apple. My turn to drive today, so across the causeway to Jean's apartment I went. I think secretly, she was happy to have a solo act again.

“Jean, what kind of shape are you in to dance like that five days in a row? Just once darned near put me in the hospital.”

“I'm in crazy good shape, you saw the work out equipment.” Jean said. “Forget that, when is your date with the cute blonde?”

“Well, we could go on Thursday or Sunday, I won't know until maybe today.”

We chatted some more about nothing, until I remembered Wendy last night. “Can you imagine, all the things she could ask, it's “Can you get me a signed baseball?”

Jean laughed, “A teen is a teen, and that shows it. Here's our exit now.”

To be continued


Many thanks to Bronwen Welsh for her encouragement and review to correct typos and such, without her assistance ,this story wouldn't exist.


Special thanks to Tanya Allen for allowing her book "The Candy Cane Club" to be used in my story.

up
161 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Hmmmm, it does look like a

Hmmmm, it does look like a window closed and a door opened in Ginny's life. Maybe, she just might find her one true love without even realizing it at the moment.

Hmmmm, it does look like a

Hmmmm, it does look like a window closed and a door opened in Ginny's life. Maybe, she just might find her one true love without even realizing it at the moment.

I think Genny is right

Samantha Heart's picture

About Jean having a solo act again. As for Genny's date I hope it all works out for her.

Love Samantha Renée Heart.

Not Sure I Get It...

If Cathy in drab is a secondbaseman who plays in front of thousands of people a day and has the usual picture in the game program, why would he think his name would be unfamiliar after he showed Ginny a picture? Beyond that, I had the impression that he had known for some time that he'd been recognized, though I guess it was only Ian and not Jack himself who referenced it, until Hiram mentioned it in answering Ginny's question.

Not that a heterosexual can't be attracted to a pre-op TG, but given the club rules, I'd think that Jack would assume Ginny fell into that category. Not sure whether that'll have an impact if/when he finds out otherwise.

Anyway, I assume Jack's single or separated -- that's probably obvious since he's been there that often. If there's a complication along those lines, I'd think Ginny and/or Wendy can easily find out online. Could be interesting if Ginny or the two of them get to sit in the players' family section at Fenway next season...

Eric

While it's great and all to

While it's great and all to play for a top team, not everyone who lives in the area knows who you are by sight and by name. Outside of the superstars, unless you are a diehard fan you wouldn't recognize the player by sight unless he sports a unique hairstyle like Dustin Pedroia's scruffy face and balding head, Craig Kimbrel's thick red beard, or Andrew Benintendi's long hair.

Hiram might have referenced her en-homme job early on when she was getting to know them and earned their trust. It might be an open secret that Cathy is a Red Sox player but since she is always around Hiram nobody dared talk about it.

I'm told STFU more times in a day than most people get told in a lifetime

Ginny is a POST-op TG She had

Ginny is a POST-op TG She had her surgery at the end of book 1 "Gene's Story"

The only post-ops that can be an employee are bartenders, and because of a special contract, "Terri the Tiger". Anyone else has 6 months to find another job after surgery.

Not every one is a Red Sox fan, don't forget, Ginny works 3 PM to 2 AM, most ballgames are at night. Even though Ellen and Ginny have been to ballgames, they sat in the 'green monster' seats quite far from the bench or 2nd base. And with great makeup, didn't the Wayans guy look like a "White Chic"? So why would you recognize Jack?

Also, this is the off season. This any help?

Karen

Fair Enough...

I certainly have to accept that not everyone in the area follows the Red Sox closely enough to recognize all the players.

I'd not really remembered that Ginny was describing him matter-of-factly as a RuPaul-type drag queen the first few times she encountered him -- and also as a shortstop, so he does seem to play at least both middle infield positions during the season. (That RuPaul reference seems to imply that he's black. Are we supposed to think so?)

As far as not recognizing a player from the park seats while on the infield, sure, but Fenway has a Jumbotron in center which would show his face every time he came to the plate, and from the Wikipedia photo, it'd appear that one could see it from the Monster seats, or anywhere in the park except the center field bleachers. (My most recent trip to Boston and Fenway was 2002, before the seats were added.)

And Jack's makeup isn't that good; Wendy recognized him at first sight in #61 -- though she had trouble believing it -- and Ginny found Cathy's face familiar from the start, though it took Hiram to explain why. And by #66, even though AFAIK we still hadn't seen any confirmation from Cathy herself, Ginny was calling her "my favorite ballplayer" and Hiram, in not springing for Cathy's drinks, asked her, rhetorically or otherwise, "how many millions a year are the Red Sox paying you?"

(And Hiram did confirm that Jack's single back in #72. I'd forgotten.)

I know that Ginny's post-op. But would Jack think so? Especially after Ginny filled in on stage last weekend.

Eric

NO, NO

Ru Paul happens to be black, but not every drag queen is black.
Wow Eric, do you examine every story this closely? Read some other comments, you may find answers.

No, I Wasn't Saying...

...that all drag queens were black. In #57 Ginny referenced Cathy (before learning her name) as a "Ru Paul wanna-be", and that suddenly made me wonder, as I was going through it this time, whether you intended more than just dressing in drag.

(Edited:)
As to whether I examine every story this closely, relatively speaking, yes. I don't bring up the complete story and do word searches as often with others as I do with this one, but (as in this case) those mostly happen after the fact to figure out why I'm coming to the conclusions I did -- not to create them. It started with Tuck, I suppose, and it's probably an Asperger's thing.

And yes, I do read the other comments; my reply here titled "Fair Enough" addressed Efin's explanation as well as yours.

Best, Eric

Good Choices

joannebarbarella's picture

Ginny did the right thing and so did Ian. Jack and Ginny may have to argue about who wears the wedding dress.

Re: Good choices

Why argue? Let them both wear dresses! *giggles*

Life's changin for Ginny...

She could be a great tiger, but its not her. Some know her better than others. Chris and Ginny both have interest in the other. I look forward to seeing what changes blossom.

Hugs, Jessie C

Jessica E. Connors

Jessica Connors

The money was better than good

Still, she has what she already made. It would be nice to live a life where money was never an issue.

Other than the Queen of

Other than the Queen of England? ( I think even the Royals have a budget)