School Life Chp. 24

Printer-friendly version

Lindsey looks at all the members of the band as they sat around the dining room table at Terry and Jamie’s place. She had several layouts that were drawn by a small company that would do the work inside the band bus.

“What do you guys think?” She had six different drawings.

“Can we afford the cost?” Jamie looks towards Lindsey.

“According to Brenda, we have the money set aside to cover the cost for the redecoration.” Lindsey shows the guys the bank account for the band.

The guys look through the drawings. Some of them gave them a bigger storage space, by removing a few of the couches and bring the back wall further up. They could keep their instruments inside the bus instead of in the trailer Terry’s parents were letting them have. One drawing had a bathroom in the back of the bus.

“Well, what do you guys think?” Lindsey watches as the guys move the pictures around.

“If we go with having a bathroom. We won’t need to stop when we are traveling.” Ian looks towards the others.

“Yea, but who’s going to clean it?” Lindsey looks at the guys. She knows how easy guys can miss the mark.

“We’ll take turns. So, we're going with drawing number three. We’ll have storage under the seats, the seat belts we’ll need and a bathroom. Plus, a few dorm room style refrigerators?”

“Will the current inverter be able to handle the dorm room refrigerators.” Jamie looks towards Lindsey since she was handling the upgrades to the bus.

“I’ll ask Mr. Liggermen. He did say that the engine and transmission were in good working order. He’s changing all the filters, tires, giving it a tune-up and putting new brakes on. He ordered the new tires and they will be delivered tomorrow.”

“Are we keeping the dance poles?” Ian looks towards Terry since he was the leader of the band.

“As much as I would like to see Lindsey, Kaja, and Maxine dance in the bus. I think we should have them removed.” Terry had a teasing look on his face when he looks over towards Lindsey.

“If you think I was going to dance for you guys. You are sadly mistaken.” Lindsey knew how the guys were.

“Oh, come on Lindsey, you’ll have company.” Jamie figures Maxine would, but didn’t know if Kaja would. He knew his girlfriend would.

“No. Now, we need to set-up auditions to replace Dan.” Lindsey wanted to see if Jamie knew anyone.

“I might know a few people.” Jamie has been approached by a few people that wanted to join the band.

“I’ll do some looking around as well. I know a few people that would be a good addition to our band.” Lindsey was thinking about a certain
piano player that recently started coming to the LGBTQ center she goes too when she has time.

“Is there anything else we need to talk about?” Terry looks at everyone.

“Yes, the city council would like for us to play for the city one day next month. They are doing music in the park and they approached Brenda about us playing.” Lindsey has been working with Brenda lately to learn the management portion of the band.

“Are we getting paid for it?” Terry was curious.

“Nope, it would be a freebie for the city. They aren’t charging the citizens anything, except the drinks and snacks.” Lindsey watches everyone’s expression.

“Can we still sell our merchandise?” Jamie knew they have been making a nice profit from the sale of their merchandise.

“Yes, we can still sell our merchandise.” Lindsey had checked on that with Brenda.

“I don’t see why we can’t play. It will give us exposer” Jamie didn’t mind playing for the city.

“You know once we play. People will start recognizing us.” Ian knew a few people already recognized him a few times.

“It’s part of who we are or going to be, Ian. I know, I don’t want people to know much about us, but we did do an interview on the Good Morning George Burstock show at WNNX Radio station.” Lindsey has run into a few people that remember her voice from the radio interview and the news shot of them playing at the convention.

“How many gigs do we still have to do this month?” Terry knew school was going to be starting soon for Lindsey, Ian, and his brother.

“We have a gig in Virginia Beach, at the Rainbow Cactus and at a club in Newport News called The Alley. The work on the bus should be done by then, but just in case it isn’t. We can rent an SUV to take there.” Lindsey priced how much one would cost them. She also booked hotel rooms for them for the days they were going to play in Virginia Beach and Newport News.

“What gigs do we have after that?” Jamie wanted to spend some time with his girlfriend.

“We haven’t heard back from the contest organizers yet. As for other gigs, nothing until, the music in the park deal. We will have two whole weeks off to relax.” Lindsey knew they will need it to get ready for school.

“How about once school starts?” Lindsey and Jamie remember something about a concert.

“You mean the opening act job we were supposed to get?” Terry smiles when he says that.

“You mean we have it?” Everyone looks towards Terry for an answer.

“Yes, we have it and they will be in town next week. So, we need to get our replacement player and up to speed by then.” Terry was waiting to
spring this on everyone.

“That is short notice.” Ian looks at Terry.

“Look, I know it’s short notice. The booking agency wasn’t sure they wanted to use us until they came to one of our gigs and heard us. So, now we have that gig.” Terry looks at everyone present.

“What day is the concert and where is it being held?” Everyone was curious.

“It’s Wednesday, in Charlotte NC. At the Charlotte Metro Credit Union Uptown Amphitheatre.” Terry had all the information for them.

“That doesn’t give us much time to find and teach a new person.”

“I know, that’s pushing it. If we must, we can just go on ourselves, but I’m confident we can teach whoever we find in time.”

“But we have a gig this weekend.” Lindsey knew it was going to take time to teach a new person.

“Well if there isn’t anything else to talk about. The band meeting is over.” Everyone gets up and starts leaving.

“So, you still want to catch lunch and a movie, Lindsey?” Ian knew that was the plan him and Lindsey had after the meeting.

“You bet. I already informed my mother we were going out.” Lindsey smile as her and Ian head towards his mother’s car.

Terry and Jamie stand and watch them “do you think it will get any more serious between them?”

“Who knows little brother.” As the two of them head back into the house.

up
256 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Now the great, not so great,

Now the great, not so great, good times and a few bad times begin for Lindsey and the entire band.

Dan picked a fine time to leave

Samantha Heart's picture

The band he could have at least stuck around till after school started or after next week at least. This way the band could find a replacement & get them up to speed.

As for Ian & Lindsay time will tell if they get more serious. I mean they are after all in their early teens.

Love Samantha Renée Heart.