Tommy - The Trials and Tribulations of a Girl? - Chapter 104

Printer-friendly version



Tommy
The Trials and Tribulations of a Girl?

A Novel By Teddie S.

Copyright © 2018 Teddie S.
All Rights Reserved.

Chapter 104
The gun range. A hike and Naainish.
A visit.

Yesterday had been an up and down day. We found that Peshlakai was still in the picture. But Uncle Gaagii told us that he knew of someone that could have “a talk” with Peshlakai if need be. We also found out that the guy that I was supposed to be a grad-assistant for, Dr. Kilmer, was about to go before a faculty review board.

We had used the mud pool to try to help both of us relax, and it worked. We also found out that next Friday would be the last barbecue of the year. That made us sad.

The Sunset was an excellent one, but the storms building to the west showed that we were going to get a thunderstorm or two. As the storms approached, I warned everyone to get off the cliff, and all but one guy did. He wanted one more picture. And that turned tragic. Lightning struck him, and he died.

Sunday morning when I woke up to the smell of breakfast cooking and Ajie looking down at me with that cute smile on her face. I smiled up at her, and said, “Morning lover.”

She bent down, kissed me, sat back, and said, “Good morning sweetheart.”

Then she asked, “What are we going to do today.”

“I don’t know yet.”, I replied. “But I know that you want to relax.”

“Uh huh. I do. You know Uncle Paul said he’d take us to the range.”

“I thought you wanted to relax?”

“That may help me release a little pent-up anger.”

“Oh.”

“Uh huh. We brought everything with us. Didn't we?”

“We did. And we’ll see if Uncle Paul is busy or not.”

When I got out of bed without hesitation I dressed as Kai, and after an excellent breakfast, Ajie, Aunt Ruth, Uncle Paul, and I headed to the range. I didn’t realize that Aunt Ruth was into shooting, but Uncle Paul said she was a reasonably good shot.

When we got to the range, we all picked targets, I chose a bear silhouette, Uncle Paul picked a bulls-eye target, as did Aunt Ruth, and Ajie surprised me by selecting a man’s silhouette target.

We started with the rifles and set our targets out at one-hundred and ten yards. I thought it was a little far, but Uncle Paul said that with the rifles that we have that it was a reasonable distance to start.

We shot at that distance for a while, each of us going through a box of ammunition. And then we checked our targets. Uncle Paul and Aunt Ruth both did better than I did, but they’d been shooting a lot longer then I have. But Ajie did better than anyone. We looked at her target, and there was only one shot outside the silhouette, all of the rest of her shots were either in the head or heart area.

Uncle Paul whistled, and asked, “Where did you learn to shoot so good.”

Ajie smiled, and said, “I guess it’s just beginners luck.”

“Yeah. Right.”, I said. “I know you better. What were you thinking about?”

“I saw Peshlakai on that target.”

Uncle Paul raised an eyebrow, and said, “Ajie, remind me, I never want you mad at me.”

“Uncle Paul, I love you too much to ever get mad at you.”

“Thank the Great Spirit.”

Aunt Ruth smiled, and said, “Ajie, you did well. You outshot the boys.”

We then got pistol targets, regular bullseye targets, and went to the pistol range. Only Ajie and I had pistols with us, and Uncle Paul showed us tricks on how to shoot such a powerful handgun better. And both Ajie and I got better.

After we finished shooting, we headed back to the resort and the house. All of us went to the garage and cleaned our guns. Here again, Uncle Paul showed us some tricks for cleaning the handguns and rifles. Then I asked him, “Uncle Paul, where did you get so good with a handgun?”

“In the army during the war. I carried one as a sidearm.”

“Korea?”

“No. World War II. I stayed out of Korea.”

“What did you do?”

“I can’t tell you.”

“Oh.”

“Sorry.”

“That’s okay.”

We had picked up all of our brass, and Uncle Paul told us that the next time we came up, he would show us how to reload our brass. He also said that he’d do what we had now, and have them ready for us next Friday.

Grandma joined us for lunch, and we had a good talk. Then Ajie and I decided to take a hike. We decided to hike the Bosque River Trail, which is a loop trail that goes past the Adobe Round Barn and close to the remote hogan where we’d first met Naainish. We figured that it would take us less than an hour to hike the trail, and that would give us a chance to soak in one of the thermal pools before dinner, and then we’d make our drive back to Albuquerque.

We decided to hike the trail in a counterclockwise direction which would bring us closer to the remote hogan before walking back to the resort along the river. As we approached the little pond and the remote hogan, we saw Naainish’s pickup truck. I looked at Ajie. She looked at me. And I started to say, “How did … Oh never mind. He just knew.”

(Everything from here is in Navajo.)

As we got close to the hogan, we could hear Naainish chanting. We stopped at the door and listened. When he finished, he said, “Kai. Ajie. Come, join me.”

I looked at Ajie and just shook my head. I lifted the blanket that covered the entrance and let Ajie enter first. We saw Naainish sitting across the fire from the entrance, and there was a small sand painting in front of him. He saw us, smiled, and said, “Come. Sit across from me.”

Ajie and I walked over to the fire and sat on the rug that was there. Naainish said, “Kai and Ajie it is good to see you.”

“And, you Naainish.”, I replied.

“I’m glad that you happened by while I was here.”

“Naainish, you knew we would be coming by here.”

“Yes, Kai, I did.”

“Why are we meeting?”

“Two reasons. The first is to tell you that I feel that Peshlakai will no longer bother you.”

“How do you know?”

“Let’s just say, that what Gaagii Haskie told you yesterday has also gotten to Peshlakai and that he’s decided, as the saying goes, that discretion is the better part of valor.”

“Oh. Quoting Shakespeare now, Naainish. And are you sure that it’s discretion and not deception.”

He smiled, and said, “Kai you are very cautious when it comes to Peshlakai. Aren’t you?”

“Wouldn’t you be if you were in our place?”

“Yes, I guess I would be. But after Peshlakai was quietly ‘talked to’ he decided that hands-off was a good idea.”

“He wasn’t hurt. Was he?”

“No. He was spoken to gently. And it was suggested to him that he stay away from you.”

“I see. You said that there were two reasons that we were meeting. What's the second?”

Naainish looking at Ajie, then said, “Ajie can I borrow Kai tomorrow?”

“Borrow her.”, Ajie replied. “Borrow her for what?”

“I have an old sheep rancher on the reservation that is dying, and he is having problems coming to terms with it. And I’m visiting him tomorrow.”

“And you want me to go.”, I said. “What can I do?”

“Kai, do you remember when I told you that you were not a medicine man like I am, but that you will be able to use the power of the wolf to bring harmony and peace to the ill?”

“Yes, but you also said that I might not be able to do that for everyone, but those that are special to me.”

“Yes. That’s true. But if I’m present, I feel that our spirits, together, can help him. Help bring harmony and peace to his passing.

“I am also aware of what happened to you two last night. I also feel that bringing harmony and peace to this man will also help you, and Ajie, come to terms with what happened last night.”

I looked at Ajie, then back at Naainish, and said, “Naainish, Ajie starts working at the hospital tomorrow, and I wanted to be there for her.”

“Honey.”, Ajie said. “If you can help this man, I have no problem with you going.”

“Naainish.”, I asked. “What time would we be back?”

“Before dark.”. Naainish replied. “And I’d be picking you up at about seven in the morning.”

I looked at Ajie, and she said, “Honey. Go with Naainish. It sounds like he thinks you can help. And if you’re back by three, you can pick me up.”

“Are you sure?”, I asked Ajie.

“Yes, honey. I’m sure.”

I looked at Naainish, and said, “Okay, Naainish. I’ll see you at seven.”

“Thank you, Kai.”, Naainish said. “I do think that you can bring harmony and peace to this man.”

“We’ll see.”

Naainish started a soft chant. Ajie and I got up and left the hogan.

(We’re back to English)

We finished our hike in silence. I was in deep thought. How was I going to help this man? Could I even help this man?

When we were back to my aunt and uncle’s house, we put our hiking things away and started helping Aunt Ruth make dinner. We were almost finished preparing dinner, and I had to run to the bathroom. As I walked out of the kitchen, I heard my aunt say to Ajie, “Kai is awful quiet.”

I only heard part of Ajie’s answer, as she said, “We found Naainish at the remote hogan … ”

When I came back into the kitchen, my aunt said, “Kai. Honey. Ajie told me what Naainish talked to you about.

“Naainish thinks highly of you. And he wouldn't ask you to do something like this unless he felt that you could help. And, it’s special that he asked you.”

“I know, Aunt Ruth.”, I replied. “I just don’t know if I can help.”

“Honey. Do what you feel. Your spirits will guide you. They won’t let you down.”

“I know. I’ve got to learn to believe in my spirits and myself.”

“Kai. You will do that. You are a strong person. Stronger than you know.”

“Thank you, hearing this from you helps, Aunt Ruth.”

During dinner, I brought up what Naainish had told us about Uncle Gaagii and Peshlakai. My Uncle Paul said that Uncle Gaagii felt that like in fighting a forest fire that sometimes setting a backfire helps stop the fire. So he lit a backfire under Peshlakai to stop him. And the way the backfire worked, it helped Peshlakai see that any further ‘funny business’ would be detrimental to him.

After we helped clean up the dinner dishes, Ajie and I packed everything into the car, and then we told my aunt and uncle that we’d see them on Friday, and we headed to Albuquerque. It was a quiet drive.

When we were back at the apartment, we put everything away. And then I asked Ajie, “Are you sure that it’s okay if I go with Naainish tomorrow? Will you be all right?”

She smiled at me, and said, “Yes, silly. I’m a big girl, and I can take care of myself.”

“I know you can. But it’s your first day.”

Monday morning I was awake early. When I’d gotten out of the shower, Amy was up and helped braid my hair into two braids with the four different color leather strips. Then we added the fancy wraps to the ends.

I slipped into the special panties, a regular pair of panties, and a bra. Then I slid my forms into the bra. I picked one of the fancy long skirts and put it on. And I went with one of the fancy blouses. Then I put on the wrap moccasins.

As I was dressing, so was Amy. She'd put on her nurses uniform Cap and all. She looked cute.

When we went downstairs, I went to the small room and picked some silver jewelry out of the safe. I took one of the Concho belts, the new choker, two of the bracelets, three rings, and one of the braided leather headbands with the Eagle feather. I also chose the pair of earrings that Kilchii made, the silver rounds with three small gold feathers hanging from them.

When I had everything on, Amy looked me over, and said, “Kai. Honey. You always look so fabulous. And this is no exception.”

“Thank you, lover. Is it too much?”

“No. Not at all. It’s you.”

“Thanks. I’m going to miss being with you today.”

“Honey, I’m going to miss you too. But, I feel this is important, or Naainish wouldn’t have asked you.”

“I know. I wish you were going with us.”

She smiled, and said, “Let’s fix some breakfast.”

“That would be great.”

We sat and ate a light breakfast. And I said, “I had a dream last night.”

“Oh. What did you dream about?”, Amy asked.

“The native girl sitting under the tree with the wolf lying next to her.”

“It’s was good that the wolf was lying next to her. Wasn’t it?”

“Yes, Naainish says that it means that everything is in harmony.”

“Is it?”

“I feel that it is.”

I then put everything that I’d need into a purse with a long strap and at six-thirty Amy and I got into the car, and I drove her to the hospital. I couldn’t let her walk alone at that hour of the morning. Before she got out of the car, we hugged and kissed so long, and Amy said, “You and Naainish be careful.”

“We will. You be careful too.”

"I will."

I was back at the apartment before seven and waiting for Naainish to show up. And right at seven, I heard a pickup truck pull up in front of the apartment, and shortly Naainish was knocking at the door. I opened the door and said, “Yá’át’ééh abiní, Naainish.” (Good morning, Naainish.)

He returned a “Yá’át’ééh abiní, Kai.

Naainish as he usually was for a barbecue, was dressed in wrap moccasins, white linen pants, a bright red shirt, a red head scarf, and various jewelry.

I closed the door and locked it, and we walked to his pickup truck. I opened the door, looked inside, and said, “Naainish, no seat belts?”

“Not in this old thing.”, Naainish replied.

“Naainish, I don’t ride in any car, truck, or whatever that doesn’t have seat belts.”

“Sorry, Kai. This truck doesn’t have them. Why do you need seat belts?”

“When I was twelve, I was in a terrible car accident. I was wearing a seat belt. And if I hadn’t been wearing that seat belt I probably wouldn’t be here.”

Naainish looked at me, and just said, “Oh.”

“I guess we’ll have to take our car.”

“Doesn’t Ajie need it?”

“No, she won’t be back until three. I’ll leave her a note.”

Naainish and I walked back into the apartment. I left Amy a note. And we walked into the garage. We got into the car, I fastened my seatbelt and looked at Naainish. Naainish asked, “Do you want me to wear it?”

“Naainish, I don’t start the car until everyone is belted in.”

Naainish grabbed the belt, fumbled with it a bit, and finally got it fastened. I opened the garage door, started the car, pulled it out of the garage, closed the garage door, and started following Naainish’s directions.

As we drove, Naainish asked me about the accident, and I gave him the full story. He was amazed.

Then Naainish explained to me what I was going to see. He told me, that when we got there, that if the man was close to death, that most of the relatives would be outside the hogan. And only one or two close relatives would be with him. Then shortly before death, all but one or two people would remain with him.

We drove on main roads for a while, then on secondary roads, then on dirt roads. I sure hope Naainish knows where he’s going. After a few more turns, Naainish had me turn down a farm lane.

As we drove down the lane, Naainish said, “Kai, this is an old Navajo family, and they follow old customs. And they know that you’re coming with me. If they offer you something, accept it without hesitation, or you will offend them.”

“What would they offer me? And why?”

“It’s hard to say what they’d offer you. But it’s done out of respect for you, and to thank you for coming.”

As we drove up the lane, I noticed some interesting looking sheep in the pastures. Naainish saw me looking at them and said, “Those are Navajo-Churro sheep. This man and his sons, and others are trying to revive the breed. Government-sponsored flock reductions decimated the sheep, but some people, like this man, were able to save large flocks. And are now rebuilding the breed.”

A half a mile down the lane we came to the sheep ranch. There were a number of buildings and three large hogans. There were a few pickup trucks and a car parked near one of the hogans.

Naainish saw the car, and said, “The doctor is here. We may too late.”

“No.”, I replied. “There is time.”

“You know this?”

“Yes, I feel that we have time.”

It had taken us a little over three hours to get there. Naainish and I got out of the car, walked up to the door of the hogan. Naainish knocked on the door, a middle-aged man opened it, and said, “Yá’át’ééh.”

Naainish and I both said, “Yá’át’ééh.”

(From here on everything was in Navajo.)

The man asked us to come in. As we walked in, I noticed that the light in the hogan was provided by the smoke hole, a fire, and a few kerosene lanterns. There were three middle-aged Navajo men there, two middle-aged women, an older woman, who I think might be the older man’s wife, a well-dressed man, who I took to be the doctor, and an older man lying on a bed.

Naainish put his arm around me, and said, “This is Kai Nez. She is a Nádleeh. And she is a special Nádleeh. She brings the power of the wolf with her.”

No one said anything. Naainish and I walked over to the older man lying on the bed. He looked as if he’d worked outside all of his life. I smiled at him, and he was able to return a smile, and there was even a twinkle in his eyes. I sat on the side of the bed, took his hand in mine, and we just looked at each other. Everyone but the older woman, the doctor, Naainish, and me left the hogan.

I could feel the old man’s spirit.

The old man looked at Naainish and said, “Thank you for bringing this pretty angel to see me. When she walked in, I felt at peace with everything.”

The old man and I spoke for a short time. Then with a smile on his face, he closed his eyes, and I felt his spirit leave him. I looked at Naainish, he started chanting, and I joined him.

When we finished the chant, the doctor came over, checked on the old man, and said, “He’s gone.”

Naainish touched my shoulder, I looked at him, and he said, “Come.”

I carefully set the old man’s hand on his chest and stood up. And the four of us walked out of the hogan. Everyone who had left the hogan earlier was waiting outside.

I walked over to the older lady, took her hands in mine, and we spoke for a minute. Then one of the men who was holding a rug gave it to the older lady, and without saying a word, she handed the rug to me. I accepted it with a whispered, “Ahéhee’.” (Thank you)

Everyone thanked us for coming and being with their father when he passed. I had no words for them. One of the women was crying, I took her aside, and we talked for a minute. When we finished, we hugged, and I could tell that she felt better. She had stopped crying.

Naainish and I then just walked over to the car, I placed the rug in the back seat, we got in the car, and left. It just felt like it was the right thing for us to do.

As we drove down the farm lane, Naainish said, “Kai, you did very well. I could tell that you were at ease with what you did. You showed compassion to the old man and his family. And they appreciated you coming to see him before he passed. It made his passing easier for him and the family.”

All I said was, “Thank you for bringing me, Naainish.”

As we turned off the farm lane onto a dirt road, Naainish said, “Kai, the rug you were given is made of Churro wool. It hasn’t been dyed. It’s all natural sheep colors.”

“I think that I’ll hang it in our bedroom.”, I said. “It will remind me of today every time I see it.”

We drove silently for about half-an-hour, then I asked, “Naainish, what will happen now?”

“To the body?”, Naainish asked.

“Yes.”

“The old beliefs, which this family practices, believe that birth, life, and death are all part of an ongoing cycle. You’ve seen all the outward grief that you will see. It is believed that too much emotion can cause the person's spirit to attach itself to something or someone. And that would not be good.

“Probably tomorrow, four men will arrive. Two of the men will dig and prepare the grave. The other two men, dressed only in moccasins and with their bodies covered with ash from a fire to protect themselves from evil spirits, will wash the body and dress it. Then they’ll take the body to the grave, and it will be buried.

“In the old days, since he died at home, his house would be torn down and burned.”

I thought for a few minutes, then asked, “Why were there only four of us with him when he passed?”

“The others left because they were afraid of the evil spirits.”

“What about us?”

“His wife felt that she was stronger than any evil spirits, and wanted to be with her husband. The doctor doesn’t believe in them. My spirits, like yours, are powerful, and we protected each other.”

We stopped at a mom and pop restaurant in a small community for lunch. Of course, the way we were dressed brought us some attention. And it appeared that the restaurant owners knew Naainish. After lunch, we finished our drive to Albuquerque and the apartment. Naainish and I said so long. And he went on his way, and I had enough time to change back into Tom and run over to the hospital and pick up Amy.

Before I headed to the hospital, I went to the garage and retrieved the rug from the the car. I took it into the living room and draped it over the back of the couch. I needed to buy another one of those rug hangers that we’d found at the rug shop near Taos. I wonder if Chief Tom had gotten a hanger for his Chief’s rug?

When I got to the hospital, I walked into the emergency entrance, and the hallway outside the emergency room was a flurry of activity. I stopped and looked. And, …

~o~O~o~

Dear readers, Remember authors like comments. And even constructive criticism. Please leave a comment. Want to comment but don't want to open an account? Anyone can log in as Guest Reader -- with a password of topshelf to leave a comment. Thanks.

AttachmentSize
Image icon Choker-2.jpg28.87 KB
Image icon Sheep.jpg54.11 KB
Image icon Churro-rug.jpg131.04 KB
up
286 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Still practising?

Monique S's picture

I think you should know by now that those of us, who love and follow your story, will avidly read every new chapter, hanger or not.

Hugs,
Monique.

Monique S

And I thank you all for that.

And I thank you all for that. And I hope I never disappoint.

Hugs,
Teddie

Yeah. Maybe. But isn't it

Yeah. Maybe. But isn't it fun waiting to see what I conjure up?

Remember that Kai has been told that she isn't a medicine man.

Training

I can very well be wrong, but I think the training to be a medicine man begins much younger than Tom is. I have been doing a power session to reread the tale. I haven't been surprised yet but forgotten details, but it has been good to refresh things, since the lives are about to take a radical turn when the young arrive.

Interesting portion of the

Interesting portion of the story about the old man, his family, and his death.
I am wondering now if Tom/Kai is now seeing spirits of departed people or feeling those who are in the internal throes of death?

Interesting thoughts about

Interesting thoughts about seeing the spirits. We shall see what happens down the path.

So very tender of a story

Donna T's picture

Your story evoked a peaceful sadness in me and it made me cry... it was a good cry. Thank you.

Donna

And.

My5InchFMHeels's picture

And What? This practicing the cliff hangers is getting out of hand. Perhaps some hang nails for each cliff hanger shall teach you we'll be back no matter how you end it. Problem now that I've found a solution for your cliff hangers, is implementation of hang nails would be tricky without stalking or cursing.... Dang, I guess were stuck with Cliffhangers without retribution for making us wait for the juicy detail. HMMPH!

Methinks thou dost protest

Methinks thou dost protest too much. In fact, methinks that you like hanging by your nails waiting for the details.

Very good Wendy K.

Very good Wendy K. Unfortunately in the current timeframe of the story, 1967, the Navajo Code Talkers were still classified. Their existence wasn't unclassified until 1968.

I also have the Kent State shootings in the back of my mind, I live about 5 miles from there, but that didn't happen until May 4, 1970.

I researched a bit on the Code Talkers

I read that they never received VA benefits because of the classified operation, although would be willing to bet descrimination played a part in that. Also, Chester Nez was one of the last surviving original Navajo Code Talkers, and was decorated with the Congressional Gold Medal by President G W Bush.

He died in 2014. And believe

He died in 2014. And believe it or not, I didn't get Kai's last name from him.

Code talkers

Back in the '80's I attended a showing of Navajo rugs in Palo Alto, California. While there I sat for a while and chatted with an elderly Navajo man. In doing so, I discovered that he was a member of the Navajo Tribal Council and a former US Marine Code Talker. Unfortunately, I didn't write down his name and have long forgotten it.

Talking to anyone of the Code

Talking to anyone of the Code Talkers would have been a wonderful experience. I'm glad you had a chance to talk to one.

Code Talkers

I have 50 years of service in the Boy Scouts, mostly in Tulsa, and as an adult in the Order of the Arrow I had the opportunity to met, listen to his stories, and in general, visit with him. Here is some of what I remember. George Chibitty was true blood - not pure blood, but true blood which meant that both sides of his family were pure blood for at least the preceding five generations. He grew up near Lawton and spoke his native language fluently for all his life. He was successful against the schools he attended attempts to make him forget his native language. He was very proud of his heritage, and rightfully so, and when he learned about the Code talker program, he applied and was accepted, against the wishes of his parents simply because he felt it was something he had to do. He served as a code talker in WWII, and after war returned to Oklahoma. George was Comanche, not Navajo, and served in Europe rather than the Pacific. He did have a worn Japanese flag that he came into possession of, so even though he didn't talk about it much I suspect that when the war in Europe was over he served in the Pacific also - perhaps not talking about it much because the Comanche code talkers didn't receive the recognition the Navajo did. George had strong feelings about this and spent a large portion of the rest of his life trying to get the Comanche code talkers the recognition they deserved. A goggle search on code talkers, Comanche and Navajo code talkers, and Geoge Chibitty will bring everyone up to date about events after the war. George Chibity also posthumously awarded the Congressional Gold Medal of Honor, which was received by his gran dson in November 2013.
BUT WAIT! THERE'S MORE!
The Chibitty family was an important family in the Comanche nation and when his brother who was first in line turned down the role, the role of Principal Cheif of the Comanche Nation passed to Geoge. I am proud to have known George Chibitty. Sadly he has passed away, but those Google searches are well worth exploring. I agree wholeheartedly with the statement that those of us fortunate to have met, and talked with ANY code talker has had an unforgetable experience.

Don't let someone else talk you out of your dreams. How can we have dreams come true, if we have no dreams?

Katrina Gayle "Stormy" Storm

There were a lot of different

There were a lot of different "code talkers" other than Navajo and Comanche. And not all were Native Americans. There were Assiniboine, Choctaw, Cree, Meskwaki, Seminole, Welsh, and others.

Kai Nez, and the code talkers

I was born in Choctaw County, Oklahoma and although to my knowledge there is no Native American blood in me, my experiences in the Boy Scouts and the Order of The Arrow has done much to help my meager understanding of the Native American tribes. Yes, they had their differences, but also many commonalities, many of which I do not know. I do recall one thing that George Chibitty said every time he visited our Order of the Arrow meetings. He said, "Unfortunately, because of the melding of so many indian tribes into American culture, some things have changed, and many are not good. An indian once upon a time could ask another indian,'Who are you? Both indians were able to give their genealogy back several generations - I am Thomas FirTree, son of ????, and a member of the ??? tribe. I am pure blood, or full blood, and I am a descendent of Geronimo." Today that same question, 'Who are you? " results in just a simple reply, " I am Joe Jones. Who are you?" To me, this is just a reflection that many of us do not truly KNOW who we are but rather just "Who are you?" as it refers to our current status, namely, our name. Shame! Shame! Shame! Kai Nez and AJie are learning WHO they really are within the Navajo tribe they are members of. I hope that in some future chapter this will be revealed. We are all more than just our names, but do we really listen to the family legends that have been passed down to us? Have WE talked to the elders of our families, and really learned about our past? Do we really care about our own ancestorical history any more?

Don't let someone else talk you out of your dreams. How can we have dreams come true, if we have no dreams?

Katrina Gayle "Stormy" Storm

Stormy,

Stormy,

Thank you for your insight. Early on in writing this story I did run across information on how the Native Americans referred to their lineage and I thought about using it, but didn't.

It appears that to the Navajo (Dine) that the use of clan lineage is very important, as it may be in other tribes, Actually marrying someone of the same clan is considered incest. Here's an example from Which Clan Are You From?

"An important Navajo custom is to introduce one’s maternal and paternal clans on both sides of his family when meeting another Navajo or introducing yourself to the Navajo public for the first time. In the Navajo way, this is how Navajos know where you came from. Navajo children are “born to” the mother’s clan and take her clan name, and are “born for” the father’s clan. Therefore, Navajos precisely know who they are through identification by their mother’s, father’s, maternal grandfather’s and paternal grandfather’s clans. For example, Harrison Lapahie Jr.’s Navajo lineage is “Bit’ahnii Tachii’nii”, with the mother’s clan listed first. Bít’ahnii (Folded Arms People) from his mother’s (Lillie Todychini) side, born for the Tachii’nii (Red Running into the Water Clan) from his father’s (Harrison Lapahie) side. The Todích’íi’nii (Bitter Water Clan) are his maternal grandfather, and the Ta’néézahnii (The Badlands People) are his paternal grandfather’s clan from their moms."

Cliffhanger alert

gillian1968's picture

Deaths are a time of sadness and relief. I think Kai’s presence truly helped the family. Several sand paintings are on display at the VA Hospital as a sign of healing.

Not sure what would be happening in Albuquerque at this time, but a big event in northern New Mexico in June 1967 was the Rio Arriba Courthouse Raid, which lead to two people being killed. This primarily involved the Hispanic residents whose families were heirs to Spanish land grants. But it was certainly in the news in Taos.

https://www.taosnews.com/stories/chicanos-aztln-and-the-tier...

Gillian Cairns

A talking too

Jamie Lee's picture

Have to wonder what was said to Peshlakai that helped him see that it was best to leave Kai alone. Whatever was said was powerful enough to change the direction of his path.

There is a mystery which has never been solved and never will by those still living. It is an unknown that scares many because the path is only open to those with a coin in their pocket and none have ever returned to explain that path. So the peace which can be provided by those who offer it can do wonders for those about to take that walk. And it's a walk all living things must take.

Others have feelings too.