Tommy - The Trials and Tribulations of a Girl? - Chapter 112

Printer-friendly version



Tommy
The Trials and Tribulations of a Girl?

A Novel By Teddie S.

Copyright © 2018 Teddie S.
All Rights Reserved.

Chapter 112
No! Please no. New neighbors.

Amy had called me and told me to come to the ER right away. When I got there, Amy and her friend Kathy led me to one of the rooms where they talk to families. As Kathy closed the door, I said, “Will someone, please tell me what the hell is going on?”

Amy said, “Honey they brought grandma in this morning by helicopter.”

“What! Why?”

“She’s … She’s had a massive stroke this morning.”

“What?”

“She’s had a stroke.”

“Is she all right?”

Amy just shook her head no.

“Is … Is she dead?”

“No. But the doctors are only giving her an hour or two.”

“No! Tell me it’s not true.” And the tears started.

Amy hugged me, and whispered, “Honey, I’m so sorry.”

“Are my aunt and uncle here?”

“Not yet. They’re driving down.”

“How about Aunt Ginny and Uncle Gaagii?”

“I don’t know.”

“Can … Can I see her?”

“Of course you can. But she’s unresponsive.”

“Unresponsive?”

“She's unconscious. She’s not responding to any outside stimulation. She may not know that you’re here.”

“She’ll know.”

Amy and Kathy took me back into the ER and to a private room. They opened the door, and grandma was lying on a bed hooked up to various tubes and machines. Her eyes were closed, but she was breathing. There was a nurse there.

Amy said, “Maria, could you leave us.”

“Sure Amy.”, Maria, the nurse, said. “You know what to do if you need us.”

Maria looked at me, tried to smile a little, then she left the room.

I whispered to Amy, “When did they bring her in?”

“About an hour ago.”, Amy whispered.

“Aunt Ruth and Uncle Paul should be here in about an hour. Oh, Great Spirit please don’t let her die.”

I walked over to her bed, looked down at her, and took her hand in my hand. She slowly opened her eyes, looked at me, and smiled. I leaned down and kissed her cheek. She was able to whisper, “Kai, honey. I’m so glad you’re here.”

“Grandma.”, I whispered. “You’re going to be fine.”

“Honey, no. It’s my time. And please don’t cry. Is Ajie here?”

“I’m here grandma.”, Amy said.

“Child, come here so I can see you.”

Amy walked over next to me. Grandma looked at her, and said, “Child, take care of Kai. She needs you. And, Kai you take care of Ajie. She also needs you.”

“Yes, grandma. I’ll be with her forever.”, Ajie replied.

“Yes, child, you will.”

I could feel grandma’s spirit. Grandma then looked at me, and said, “Kai, you have brought peace to me.”

“Grandma.”, I said. “I love you.”

“I love you too child.”

She closed her eyes, and just like with Naainish’s father I felt her spirit leave her. And it made my heart hurt.

“She’s gone. Isn’t she?”, Amy asked.

I just nodded yes.

I started chanting what Naainish and I chanted when his father passed. How do I know these?

Then one of the machines that she was attached to started beeping.

A couple of doctors and nurses started to come into the room. And one of the doctors began to say, “You’ll have to excuse us, we … ”

I turned and looked at him without stopping the chant.

Then as he backed out of the room with the others, he said, “I’m sorry. We’ll come back.”

When I finished the chant, I bent down and kissed grandma on the cheek. Then Amy did the same thing.

The three of us then left the room. The two doctors and two nurses were standing outside the room, I looked at the one doctor, and said, “She’s gone.”

“I’m sorry for your loss.”, the one doctor said.

“Thank you.”

We walked out of the ER and into the waiting room. Kathy asked, “What did I witness in there? She was in a coma, but she woke up when Kai touched her.”

“Kai has the power of the wolf, and with certain people, she can bring harmony and peace to them when they’re ill.”, Amy said. “It can help them recover. But she can do it only do it with certain people. People that are close to her.”

“But, your grandmother died.”, Kathy said.

“Sometimes it can help them in their recovery.”, I said. “But with others, it helps them to pass on with peace in their heart.”

“That was amazing to see.”

“Kathy, please keep this to yourself. People who are not natives may not understand.”

“Kai.”, Kathy said. “I understand. And I’d better get back to work.”

“Thanks for staying with me, Kathy.”, Amy said.

“Think nothing of it, Amy. You needed a friend until Kai got here.”

“Kathy.”, I said. “You are a friend. Thank you for being here for Amy.”

“Hágoónee', you two.”

“Hágoónee', Kathy.”, Amy and I said together.

Kathy went back into the ER, and Amy sat with me in the waiting room. And we sat away from everyone else that was there. We sat in silence for a while, both alone with our thoughts of grandma. Neither of us crying. Just holding hands.

Finally, Amy asked, “Honey, when you hugged grandma on Sunday, did you feel anything like what you felt with your dad when he had his aneurysm?”

“No.”, I said. “I didn’t feel anything. And that bothers me.”

“Do you suppose that it was her time and you weren’t supposed to know.”

“I don’t know. But it’s a thought.”

A few minutes later Aunt Ruth and Uncle Paul walked into the ER waiting room. They looked around, spotted us, and walked towards us. We stood up. Aunt Ruth looked at me, and said, “She didn’t make it. Did she?”

I just shook my head no, and I saw Aunt Ruth turn white, and she started to fall. Luckily Uncle Paul was behind her and caught her, and I helped lower her to the floor. Amy ran into the ER and came back with some smelling salts. Aunt Ruth had started to come around, but the smelling salts brought her back quickly.

Aunt Ruth looked at me, and asked, “Kai, were you with her?”

“Yes, both Amy and I were with her.”, I replied.

“I’m so glad. Mom must have been at peace.”

“Yes, she even said that she was.”

“I’m glad to hear that. You were so very special to her. Both of you were.”

We took my aunt and uncle to a private room so that we could talk. And we told them what happened after I’d gotten here. And they couldn’t believe that she woke up to my touch and spoke to both Amy and me.

Amy then said, “They will be in shortly to ask about the disposition of the body. Why don’t you give me the information, and I’ll tell them. It’ll save you talking to a stranger.”

“Honey, you’ve done this before.”, Aunt Ruth asked. “Haven’t you?”

“Yes. It’s part of the job, making death notifications. And it never gets easy.

“Did she follow the old Navajo traditions?”

“No, she and dad followed the current burial customs.”

“Do you know if grandma has any preference as to her last resting place?”

“She has always said that she wanted to with dad.”

“Where’s that?”

“He’s in the National Cemetery in Santa Fe.”

Aunt Ruth gave Amy all the details, and Amy excused herself.

When Amy came back, she asked, “Aunt Ruth. Uncle Paul. Would you like to say goodbye to grandma?”

The four of us went back to the room where grandma was, and we stood there. It was like grandma was sleeping. We finally said our goodbyes to her.

When we walked out of the room an older nurse walked up to Amy, and said, “Amy, having your grandmother die like that on your shift is hard. I don’t want to see you back here until after the funeral.”

“Thank you, Mrs. Davidson.”, Amy said.

We then decided to go to our apartment to make the necessary phone calls.

When we were at the apartment, Amy made some lunch, while Aunt Ruth called Aunt Ginny. I was afraid to call my mom, I wanted to be sure dad was with her when she was told, so I called my dad at work and told him. And he said that he would tell her and that they would call us later. I told him that Aunt Ruth and Uncle Paul were with us right now.

Aunt Ruth made some other calls, starting with Chief Kinlicheeny. After all, grandma was a member of the Tribal Council. Then she called Naainish and a few others.

After Aunt Ruth finished with her phone calls, we talked about everyone staying at the resort since it’s off-season and they have vacancies. Plus it’s not far from Santa Fe. And we all agreed that it was a good idea.

Just before Aunt Ruth and Uncle Paul were ready to head to Santa Fe to make the arrangements, I said, “Aunt Ruth, what are you going to have them dress her in?”

“I’m not sure, honey.”, Aunt Ruth said. “Why?”

“I’ll be right back.”

I ran upstairs, and when I came back down, I was carrying the black and red Biil dress that grandma had given me back in 1965.

“Aunt Ruth, do you think she’d like this?”, I asked.

“Isn’t that the dress that grandma gave you.”, Aunt Ruth said.

“Yes. I thought that since it was once hers that it would be nice if she wore it.”

“Kai, I think that she’d love it.”

I handed the dress to Aunt Ruth. We hugged, and they left for Santa Fe. Amy and I cuddled together on the couch and waited for the phone to ring.

At about three o’clock the phone did ring. I knew who it was. And I dreaded answering it.

Amy said, “Honey, it’s probably your mom. You need to talk to her.”

“I know.”, I replied.

I picked up the phone, and said, “Hello.”

My mother said, “Tommy, it’s mom.”

“Hi, mom. Are you okay?”

“I guess I’m as good as I can be. I’m very sad. And I had a good cry on your father's shoulder.”

“I know mom. Amy and I had a good cry too. We shouldn’t have, but it’s so hard not to.”

“I know honey. The spirits and all. But it’s so sad when someone that you love that much dies.”

“It is hard. Are you and dad coming out?”

“Of course. Do you know when the services are going to be?”

“When Aunt Ruth and Uncle Paul left here, they were going to the funeral home in Santa Fe, so we may know later tonight or tomorrow. But I’d say probably the funeral will be on Saturday.”

“We’ll get a flight out as soon as we can, and I’ll let you know as soon as we know. Were you with grandma when she passed?”

“Both Amy and I were. I was holding her hand.”

“That must have been hard on you.”

“Mom, to be truthful, it wasn’t. She knew we were there, and that helped her to be at peace. And actually, it made it easier for her and us.”

Amy and my mom talked for a little while, then we said so long.

Then I looked at Amy, and started to say, “I need to … ”

“ … go for a walk.”, Amy finished my thought.

She took my hand and pulled me upstairs, we changed into our hiking gear and then headed to the trail along the Rio Grande River. We hiked north along the river, we passed the first bench and stopped at the bench across from the island. As we sat on the bench, we noticed that the Eagles were already in the dead tree on the island.

Amy saw them, and said, “They must have known we were coming.”

“They must have.”, I said.

We sat there looking at the Eagles for about ten minutes. Then they took off and circled us. Then I said, “If what Naainish has told us about receiving a blessing from the Eagles when they circle you is true, we were just blessed.”

“I hope he’s right.”, Amy said.

As we walked back to the car, Amy brought up the nurse’s orientation day on Friday. She wasn’t sure if she should attend it or not. I told her that I understood the importance of her being there, and if she felt that she needed to be there, she should be there.

We walked without talking for a few minutes, then Amy said, “I’ll do the first half. Your mom and dad’s flight will probably arrive in the early afternoon, and we should be at the airport.”

“I can just meet their plane.”, I said.

“No, we both need to meet it. I think Dean Milford and Vickie will understand.”

“It’s your call, love.”

We drove back to the apartment, and as we walked in, I noticed that there was a message on the answering machine. I played the message, and it was from Vickie, and it said, “Hi Amy and Kai. It’s Vickie. We’re so very sorry to hear about your grandmother. Please call me as soon as you get this.”

Amy picked up the phone and called Vickie. I ran upstairs. And before I could come back downstairs, Amy came upstairs, and said, “Get dressed. We’re going out to dinner.”

“Huh?”, I said.

“I said we’re going out to dinner.”

“Where?”

“Vickie wants us to meet them at the La Placita Dining Rooms.”

“When?”

“As soon as we can get there.”

“Why?”

“For dinner, silly.”

We quickly changed into long skirts, and blouses. I wore moccasins, Amy wore sneakers, we added a little jewelry. And we quickly fixed our hair.

When we walked into La Placita Dining Rooms, Ajie told them that we were with the Etsitty Party. They took us to a table for six, and we were the first ones there. Ajie ordered a Sangria. I debated for a few seconds. Then I also ordered a Sangria.

As we waited, I said, “I wonder why six seats?”

“Maybe it was the only table they had.”, Ajie said.

A couple of minutes later Vickie and Chief Tom walked in. Vickie gave both Ajie and me a long hug, and said, “I’m so sorry kids.”

Amy said, “Thank you. It was a shock.”

“I bet it was.”

Then Chief Tom said, “I was shocked when Chief Kinlicheeny told me. You’re grandmother seemed to be in good health.”

“We thought she was too.”, I replied.

Shortly Dr. Joe and his wife Mary walked in and joined us. And Mary said, “Kai and Ajie, we’re so sorry to hear of your loss.”

“Thanks, Mary.”, Ajie said. “It was completely unexpected.”

Then Vickie said, “Tom and I thought that it might be good for you two to get out for dinner with some friends.”

“Thank you.”, I said. “It’ll help.”

When our drinks arrived, everyone else ordered something to drink. Everyone but Mary ordered an alcoholic drink, and she ordered ice tea. We sat and chatted, looked at the menus, and placed our orders.

While we were waiting for our food, Vickie said to Ajie, “Ajie, when I found out about your grandmother, I spoke with Dean Milford, and we agreed that you didn’t need to attend the orientation day.”

“Vickie.”, Ajie said. “I appreciate that. But, Kai and I have talked about this, I’ll be there for the morning session.”

“Honey, you don’t have to.”

“I want to be there. It will help me by giving me something to do. It’ll help take my mind off of it.”

“Okay. Honey.”

“And, Kai, I’ll look after your typing.”, Dr. Joe said.

“No, Dr. Joe.”, I replied. “Like Ajie, I need to do it. I’ll get over there tomorrow morning and see if it's finished. Then I’ll proofread it, and get the corrections, if any, back to them. Then they can make the copies.”

“Kai, you and Ajie have a great work ethic.”

“Dr. Joe, I think both of us believe that a job worth doing is a job worth doing well. Plus, like Ajie said, it will help take our mind off of grandma’s death.

“Now, do you think we can change the subject from school and the funeral to anything but.”

The subject of the conversation did change, and we had a very nice dinner. When Ajie and I ordered fried ice cream for dessert, we got four other people to try it and they loved it.

We were at the restaurant for a little over two hours, and we walked out together. As we started going our different ways, we all exchanged hugs. Well, at least the girls did. And everyone told us that if they could do anything to let them know.

As Ajie and I were walking to our car, I said, “A boy.”

Ajie said, “A boy? What about a boy?”

“Mary’s going to have a boy.”

“How do you … Oh never mind. You felt a boy’s spirit when you hugged Mary. Didn’t you?”

I just smiled.

Then Ajie said, “One spirit departs and one spirit arrives.”

I looked at Ajie. Then she said, “Where did that come from?”

I didn’t say anything, but thought, ‘Out of the mouth of angels.’

Then Ajie asked, “Do you think Mary knows?”

“She’s the only one that didn’t have an alcoholic drink.”, I said. “So I think she does.”

“Are you going to say anything?”

“No, I’ll wait until they do.”

When we pulled into the drive of the apartment, we saw lights on in two of the other apartments in our quad unit of apartments, and Ajie said, “Looks like we have neighbors.”

“I was wondering when that was going to happen.”, I replied sarcastically.

“Oh chill. School starts next week, and everyone is moving into the dorms and apartments this week. This weekend will be crazy. And we probably won’t see much of our neighbors.”

“I liked our privacy.”

“I did too. But it won’t be bad.”

“I hope.”

Just like the last time that we walked into the apartment, the light on the answering machine was flashing. And it appeared that there were three messages on the tape. I rewound the tape, and we listened. The first message was from my Aunt Ruth, and she said that they would be showing grandma from five to eight on Friday night and that there would be a short service at the funeral home at ten on Saturday with a graveside service to follow. The second call was from Maria and Mark, and they wanted us to call tonight. The third message was from Kelly and Larry, and they also wanted us to call.

Ajie sat on the couch and called Maria and Mark. They had heard about grandma and wanted to talk to us to be sure that we were okay. Ajie and Marie spoke for about fifteen minutes. Then Ajie called Kelly and Larry, and they’d heard about grandma too. With Kelly being pregnant, Ajie talked with her a little longer than fifteen minutes. And somehow I even got to talk to Larry for a few minutes.

On Thursday morning, since we’d had a death in the family, Amy didn’t have to go into work, this gave her some time to go over what she’d be teaching. I knew that Sara, the Dean’s secretary, was in at eight, so at eight I ran over to the Engineering College office. As I walked through the office door, the two secretary gave me their condolences, and I thanked them. Then they gave me the two sets of typing. I told them that I’d have the typing back to them on Friday morning, with any corrections that were needed, and then the copies could be made. The two girls were worried that I wouldn’t have enough time to read everything. I told them that I was going to find a quiet place to work.

When I got back to the apartment, I saw a couple from one of the other apartments in our unit walking out their door. And we waved to each other. When I got inside, I found Amy sitting at the kitchen table going over the book for the class she was teaching and making notes. So I sat down across the table from her and started reading what the secretaries had typed for me.

After I’d been at it for an hour, and not finding any mistakes, I said, “Love, are you ready for a break.”

“Yes.”, Amy replied. “I think a short walk would be good.”

Just as we were going to leave, the phone rang. I answered it, and it was mom, and she filled me in on their flight plans. And they should be in around two on Friday. She gave me the flight number so that I could check on the arrival time. She also said that they they had talked with Aunt Ruth. And they were going to stay until Sunday, and would be spending both Friday and Saturday nights at the resort.

As we walked out the door, I saw the couple, which I’d seen earlier, walking back towards their apartment each was carrying a couple of bags full of books and supplies. I whispered to Amy, “I think that they’re our neighbors.”

As we got close to them, one of the bags that the girl was carrying tore, and everything that was in the bag fell on the ground. Amy and I walked over and helped them pick things up. It was too much for the girl to carry in her hands, so we offered to help. Amy and I helped them carry everything into their apartment.

As we set everything on their kitchen table, the girl asked, “Are you in the other apartment?”

“Yes.”, I said. “I’m Kai Nez, and this is my cousin, Amy Young. But we sometimes use her native name, Ajie Nez.”

“I thought that these were married student apartments?”

“They are. Neither of us are married. But, we’re both grad assistants and needed to be here this summer. So the university offered us the apartment.”

“So you’re both natives?”

“Yes, we’re members of the Navajo Nation. But we’re actually from back east. What are your names?”

“I’m sorry. I’m Jackie Roberts, and this is my husband, Charlie.”

“So, what are your studying?”, Jackie asked.

“I’m working on my masters in nursing.”, Amy said.

“Oh wow! I’m just starting on my nursing degree.”

“I may be teaching your class in Nursing Fundamentals.”

“Oh! Should I be talking to you?”

“Of course you should. But, don’t act too friendly if you’re in my class.”

“So what are you studying, Kai?”

“You’re going to laugh at this.”, I said. “But I’m working on my masters in Electrical Engineering.”

Charlie looked at me, and said, “Wait until I tell my father, he’s an Electrical Engineer, that I’ve met a girl that’s an Electrical Engineering major.”

Then I asked Charlie, “So, Charlie, what are you studying?”

“I’m not sure yet. I’m just going to take general courses until I find something that I like.”

“Not a bad idea. I had a friend do that.”

“Who was that?”, Amy asked.

“Jim Lewis. When he went to Michigan on the football scholarship, he started by taking general courses.”

“Jim Lewis.”, Charlie asked. “Was he the first round pick for the Chicago Bears?”

“I think so. But, I don’t follow football that closely.”

“Kai, we’d better get going.”, Amy said. “We need to get back at it.”

“Your right.”, I replied. “We’re getting things together for the classes that we’re teaching and were just taking a break when we stopped to help you.”

As we left, Amy said, “Jackie, I’ll see you tomorrow at orientation.”

With a smile, Jackie said, “Sure thing, Miss Young.”

“Only in class or around other students.”

As we walked back into our apartment, Amy said, “I kind of like them.”

“Yeah.”, I said, “Jackie’s reaction when she found out that you were going to teach one of her classes was priceless.”

“I’ve got to be careful not to show favoritism.”

“You won’t.”

I’m not going to bore you with what went the rest of the day. It was just working on the things we needed to do for classes next week. And that also helped keep our minds off grandma. Well, not really.

I made it through the two sets of papers that the secretary’s had typed for me, and only found two errors, one mine and one theirs. Amy had also finished up on her work. So we decided to go out for an early dinner. And we had time to stop off at the Engineering College before the secretaries went home for that day.

Amy and I walked over to the college and just before five we walked into the Dean’s office. Sara and Jerry were getting ready to leave. Sara saw me, and said, “Uh oh, Jerry. It looks like we’re going to be typing all night.”

“No.”, I said. “You two ladies did a great job. I only found two errors, and one was mine.”

“So there are only two pages that need to be retyped?”

“No, only one. Both errors are on the same page.”

“Wow. I didn’t realize that we did that good.”

“I owe you both.”

“No, you don’t. It’s our job.”

“I know, but I still owe you.”

“Okay. Tomorrow we’ll get that page corrected, and then we’ll take the two documents to the universities print shop, and they’ll make the copies.”

“Is there any way that I can get them before eight on Tuesday morning?”

“They should be done by done by five on Monday.”

“Could you call me when they are?”

“Sure thing.”

Amy and I then headed to our favorite pizza place, and with all the students now in town, it was busy. It took us almost forty-five minutes to get a table. But the pizza here is worth the wait. So after a bottle of wine and half a pizza, we headed back to the apartment.

As we walked up to the apartment, we saw that our two neighbors, Jackie and Charlie, and four other people were standing on their patio. Jackie saw us walking up, waved to us, and yelled, “Come on over.”

I said, “Go make friends. I’ll put the pizza in the frig and be right over.”

“Okay.”, Amy said as she started walking towards the six people.

I put the pizza in the frig, then headed back out and over to the other apartment. As I walked up, I heard one of the guys that I hadn’t met say to Amy, “I thought that these were married student apartments?”

I had a bad feeling about this guy before I was even close to him.

I heard Amy say, “They are. But it’s where the university put us when we came out here in June.”

“Two girls shouldn’t be living here.”, the guy said.

As I walked, I asked, “Amy, is there a problem?”

“It seems that one of our neighbors doesn’t think that we should be living here.”, Amy replied.

I looked at the guy, and said, “As she told you. It’s where the university put us. And I don’t know why you care.”

“Two girls shouldn’t be living together like this.”, the guy said.

“And why is that?”

“It’s unnatural for two girls to live together.”

“What are you saying. Girls share rooms in a dorm. Don’t they?” I didn’t like where this was going.

Charlie jumped in with, “Hold on. Hold on. We don’t know each other that well yet. So let's don’t judge one another.”

“Charlie.”, I said. “It appears that this guy has a problem with us. And he doesn’t even know us.”

I glared at the guy, and continued with, “Amy and I are cousins. We are close to each other because we share Navajo blood. We earned our bachelor's degrees from the same university, and Amy was given a scholarship to come here to do her masters. I also applied to do my master out here, and it was accepted. Amy had to come out here and take classes over the summer because she’s teaching this fall. And I came with her.

“We came out here together for many reasons. And other than going to school here, we have many relatives in this area. And Saturday we are going to be laying one of those relatives to rest. Our grandmother.

“We don’t know you, and I don’t think that we care to know you!

“Good night.”

I turned and walked away from the group, and Amy walked with me. We walked to our apartment and went inside. Amy said, “That guy was way out of line.”

“No kidding.”, I replied. “I was having problems controlling my anger.”

“I could tell. I think Jackie and Charlie were shocked with what that guy was saying.”

“I’ll bet he’s homophobic and thinks that we’re lesbians.”

Just then there was a soft knock on the door. I walked over and opened it, Jackie and Charlie were standing there along with the third couple that had been there. Jackie said, “Kai, can we talk?”

“I guess.”, I said. “Come on in.”

The four of them walked in, and Amy said, “Have a seat.”

Everyone sat, then Jackie said, “Guys, we didn’t expect that guy to do that. We don’t know what his problem is.”

“I’m sorry I exploded as I did, but it’s been a bad week with our grandmother passing away and trying to get ready for classes.” Then looking at the other couple, I asked, “Who is this?”

“This is Tim and Rachel. Tim and Rachel this is Kai and Amy.”

We said hello to each other. Then Charlie said, “We just had to come over and apologize to you.”

“You guys have nothing to apologize for.”, Amy said. “Did that guy think that Kai and I are lesbian lovers or something?”

“Amy, I don’t know. Maybe he hates women.”

“Or independent women.”, I added

“But he’s married. Isn’t he?”, Amy asked.

“I think so. His wife or whatever she is didn’t say two words.”

“What was his name?”

“Adam something or other.”

“Amy. Kai.”, Rachel said. “We also want to say that we’re sorry to hear that your grandmother passed away. Please let us know if we can do anything.”

“Thank you.”, Amy said. “It was a sudden loss. We were close to her, and it’s going to take some time to get over it.”

“I’m still not over my grandmother's death.”, Rachel said. Then I think to change the subject Rachel said, “I just love what you guy have done with the apartment.”

“Thank you.”, Amy said. “We needed to make it homey.”

“Are the native things all local?”

“Yes, they’re all made by Navajo artisans.”

We talked for a little while longer, and then we had to excuse ourselves as we had an early up because of the nurse's orientation tomorrow.

After they left, Amy asked, “How did you feel about them?”

“Okay.”, I said. “Maybe not friends, but good neighbors.”

I don’t think either Amy or I slept well that night. I kept remembering everything that we’d done with grandma.

~o~O~o~

Dear readers, Remember authors like comments. And even constructive criticism. Please leave a comment. Want to comment but don't want to open an account? Anyone can log in as Guest Reader -- with a password of topshelf to leave a comment. Thanks.

up
284 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Sorry to see grandma go.

Monique S's picture

She was such a lovely character. But then such is life. As Ajie said, one spirit goes another arrives.

Wonderful chapter, Teddie, in spite of the missng tissue alert.
Hugs,
Monique.

Monique S

It was a hard chapter to

It was a hard chapter to write. She was a great character in the lives of Kai and Ajie, And Ajie is correct in what she said.

Sorry about the missing tissue alert.

Hugs,
Teddie

This would have been

This would have been difficult for me to write as well. It doesn't make things less difficult, but Kai's Grandmother dying of a stroke after having a heart attack is not a big surprise to me in the medical sense. These issues go together. Nevertheless, she will be missed by a lot of people.

As for that clown Adam, he is a long way out of line. If he's in any of Kai's classes, there will be fireworks; I don't see Kai tolerating that nonsense.

Cheers

It was a very intolerant time

and it was socially acceptable to be a bigot. About what year is this? I figure they should be in the middle of the civil rights movement.

1967

1967

That guy Adam was so out of

Was so sad to learn that it was gramma who was in the ER and then that she passed.
I had a Aunt who knew she was dying, wanted to see my second brother, but he was somewhere in Montana working for his company. Our Aunt was in our home town in California. She went into a coma, and it took two weeks to track him down and get to California. We were sitting in the room when he walked into it about 1:30 in the afternoon.
He said "Hi" to all of us there, 6 of us; and our Aunt came out of her coma, looked at him and "said, well it certainly took you long enough." They had a good long talk, and then she passed away that evening. Was always a strange and weird thing to me what happened.

That Adam guy, is so out of order it isn't even funny. He had/has never met either Kai or Amy before and decides to have preconceived opinions of them.
As his wife said nothing the entire time, I am of the frame of mind that he is a complete jerk, bully, over-bearing, pompous ass.
Plus I feel he is going to cause major problems for Kai and Amy, plus for their other new neighbors, while he is over-bearing and controlling of his wife. She needs rescuing badly from him before he hurts her.

It is strange how some people

It is strange how some people wait for something to happen before they die. There is an increase in deaths right after Christmas.

Unless aunt Ruth was

Unless aunt Ruth was communing with the spirit world there's no way she called Chief Todachine he passed away way before Grandma.

I’ll miss Grandma too

gillian1968's picture

It’s always hard to lose a close family member, even when it is rheir time.

The 60s were a much tougher time for homosexuals. The Stonewall riots didn’t happen until 1969, and the Gay Pride movement kicked off the next year.

The DSM classified homosexuality as a mental disorder until 1973.

The neighbor was out of line. He may have a thing about entitlements he doesn’t think they deserve, in addition to his homophobia.

Gillian Cairns

It was hard to write the

It was hard to write the chapter about grandma's death. The next chapter wasn't much easier either.

Adam has a real problem and we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

I had to think about this chapter for a while before commenting

I was sad about grandma's death, but she went quickly and with loved ones around her. I think it's rather a blessing when death is not a drawn out ordeal for everyone. And I liked the implication that life goes on after death of loved ones, and new life is created to carry on.

Thank you, Wendy K. I'm glad

Thank you, Wendy K. I'm glad you liked the little implication that I put in.

Was lying wise?

Jamie Lee's picture

It is never easy when loved ones die, or passes on. But that is part of all life, and one of two which is out of our control. The other is birth. Had grandma been in poor health to begin with, her death would still be heart felt but not such a shock. At least Kai and Amy got to be with her before and at her end.

Keeping Kai's truth a secret would keep the morons from causing big problems, but is it wise to lie about being unmarried and that they are cousins? Saying they are unmarried will get around and every dog in heat will come sniffing around. How will either one fend off these puppies when they'll not have being married as the reason not to go out with any hungry morons?

What bee was in Adam's bonnet? What does it matter if two girls share an apartment or a dorm room? It's none of his concern. And if he has any ideas about making trouble or going after the two, he's in for one rude awakening.

Others have feelings too.

So many tears

I will miss Grandma, I've come to think of all of these characters as friends.

They are friends to a lot of

They are friends to a lot of people and like family to others.