Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 310

Printer-friendly version

Easy As Falling Off A Bike.
by Angharad
part 310

"Why don't you go home and have a shower and change, I'll wait here and I'll let you know if there's any change."

"I'll be alright," I replied to Simon.

"You look like something from The Texas Chainsaw Massacre."

"Gee thanks, Simon, you really know how to make a girl feel good."

"It's a gift," he said and sniggered.

"I'm alright, I'd rather wait."

"Go home and freshen up, have a little sleep if you like, I'll wait and let you know if anything happens."

"Who are you bossing around, Simon Cameron?"

"Who? You, future wife o'mine, now get an' dae as I tell't ye!"

"Oh yes, very Millfield," I elevated my nose as I spoke.

"Simon is right, you should go home and rest."

"Aye, awa' hame."

"Look here you blue blooded porridge basher, I shall make up my own mind in my own time, so there!" For emphasis I poked out my tongue.

"Suit yersel', but yer no sittin' wi' me."

"Why this sudden attack of tartanism, did you eat two sporrans for lunch?"

"Aye, sporrans an' tatties."

I yawned, there was no news from the nurse's station or the emergency room. I still couldn't think why she did it, although it was perhaps slightly better than trying to kill me. My head was spinning.

"Okay, I'll go home and shower and have a little sleep, but if anything happens, you will let me know?"

"Of course, look, babes, you can't do anything here can you?"

"Only worry in company."

"Well I can do that for you. So just take this old bugger here, with you and leave me in peace. I always worry better on my own."

"I'll stay, if you don't mind," said Tom.

"I do, because I want you to keep an eye on her," he nodded at me, "I can't afford anything to happen to the other woman in my life."

"Huh, so I'm the other woman now, am I?"

"You know what I mean, there are two women who are important to me, my Cathy and my Stella."

"What about Monica?"

"Fraid not."

That puzzled me, but now was not the time to discuss it. Tom reluctantly agreed to accompany me home. I drove as he had been drinking, something I'd completely forgotten beforehand. If he'd had an accident, I'd never have forgiven myself because I asked him to drive and bring my bag and coat.

The cool night air woke me up a bit. Everything still had a feeling of unrealness about it, almost as if I was watching it on a screen rather than living it, detachment or even dissociation, the doctors call it.

The drive home was uneventful and we got home and Tom went to the kitchen to make himself a coffee and me some tea. I went and showered, then put my clothes in the washing machine, along with the towels we'd used and the bath mat. Some of the blood was still wet. I washed out the bath, a little blood goes a long way. I had a vague memory of my mother saying, blood and milk seem to spread everywhere as does broken glass. I had visions of some one dropping a bottle of milk and cutting themselves badly on the broken glass, wondering if it would all go pink?

The tea had helped refresh me and I wondered if I should go to the hospital with a flask of coffee for Simon and some sandwiches. I decided I would. Tom had nodded off in the lounge, so much for black coffee keeping one awake.

I made up the flask and did some ham sandwiches for Simon, then slipped out to the car. I did leave a note for Tom. On the way back I happened on an accident, police, fire and ambulance were in attendance, so I negotiated my way around the side streets to avoid it.

I parked up and ran into Simon with his picnic. He was pacing up and down.

"What's the matter?" I asked seeing his worried look.

"What are you doing here?"

"I brought you some coffee and sandwiches."

"Oh, that's very kind of you, but I'm too agitated to eat."

"Why, what has happened?"

"She arrested."

"What, like her heart?"

"Yes."

"Oh no!" I wailed and threw myself into his arms, "I couldn't bear it if she died. Not her as well."

"No, neither could I," he said with detachment.

"She's going to be alright, isn't she?"

"I hope so, I really do."

"Poor Stella, who'd have thought it?"

"Well this all stems from those bastards who took her."

We sat ourselves down in a quiet corner of the waiting room.

"What was that you said earlier about something costing you a thouand each?"

"Oh that. I told my contacts in the Moscow police that I wanted all of those involved in her kidnap locked up or dead. I told him I'd pay a reward of a thousand pounds for each one. They didn't take any prisoners."

"So how do you know he wasn't lying to you, only making it up?"

"I have a couple of other contacts who corroborated his story."

"So you didn't take out a contract on them?"

"Not really, tempted as I was, I just wanted some revenge and justice for Stella."

"Shouldn't the Russian police have done that sort of thing anyway?"

"Too much bureaucracy, rarely get anything done, too many interested parties."

"Oh, so it's as bad as they show in the films?"

"Oh worse than that, Arnie's governor of California."

Somehow my addled brain couldn't process that statement, I presumed it referred to films, but none that I could remember seeing. I decided it didn't warrant pursuit. Besides, it didn't matter to me who was Governor of California, although I was led to believe the current incumbent was taking some serious 'green' measures. Too little too late.

"Do you know what is happening with Stella?"

"Something to do with a clot in her arm, so she was in theatre."

"Oh!" I said without knowing why she'd be there and whether it was a good or bad thing. I hoped the doctors knew.

A nurse came out from the office, "Simon?" she asked walking towards us.

"That's me, any news?" he said.

"Yes, your sister is out of theatre and resting, she's in ICU and we're giving her blood."

"Can we see her?"

"I'm afraid not. She has a bruise on her face, do you know anything about that?"

"I do," I explained about the incident in the supermarket and the nurse nodded.

"Is she a nurse, I have some feeling I should know the name, Stella Cameron."

"She's a nurse specialist in GUM."

"Ah, I thought I recognised it, well don't worry, we always care for our own. Look, you can't do any more this evening, leave a phone number and I'll get them to contact you if there's any change."

With great reluctance we went home, waking Tom, who hadn't noticed I had gone in the first place.

So much for, missing me when I'm gone!

up
147 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Well thank god or is it Bonzi

That you haven't killed Stella or was it Bonzi's idea?You've restored the faith in those who expected Simon to do the right thing and disapointed those of us who wished the Russian bad guys suffer a terminater moment.All in all another great chapter to a great story.Amy

Thank Goodness…

…this wasn't as traumatic as last night's episode, Wonder Woman, dear. Only a bit of a drama for Simon, although I bet Cathy wishes she had been there to comfort and reassure him. Let's hope Stella recovers quickly and fully.

Brilliant and griping as always, Ang.

Hugs,

Hilary.

Watch out for the Governator!

Poor, Poor, Stella! She's seeing the world all kitty wompus these days. Don't ask me why, but I get the impression she'll be spending more time "inside" these days.

Now, how many trips to the hospital does that make for Stella? And, she not working much these days? I think she'd best stop her investigatory story on "the inside world of emergency room nurses and doctors". All the stuff she has to go through just to get into another (or even the same) hospital...

Thanks Angharad,

Annette

All this talk of accidents

Thinking about a traffic accident on the way home. Passing one on the way back to the hospital. Almost expected "Super Cathy" to show up and save some poor innocent. Would that make her feel good or just feel like she failed Stella so why can she help others? Well, at least Stella is still hanging in there.

Wondering when Cathy is going to start dwelling on all of the death and injury in her life right now.

Stella's In the Hospital, Now Cathy Needs A Miracle Big Time!!!

Where is that Lady Preacher that helped her before? Cathy has been under way too much strain. She needs to see someone that will let her grieve and heal before she breaks.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Funny, I thought about her too

Cathy needs an understanding confidant who can give her an unbiased ear and caring advice.

I Don't Get It!

We all know Arnie's Governor of California but what's that got to do with the price of tea in China? Would someone be kind enough to explain it to us lesser mortals?

Oh, and, nice work. Ang. Thank you for once again giving me my daily fix.

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

x

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

Arnie

You have to read the whole thing in context. Its like facetious (is that spelled right?) at its best. Beyond your wildest dreams. stranger things have happened. Kind of like the Death Valley Day's host.

Always the last one

I've read it several times, in context, and still don't get it. But then I don't get most puns either (which are horrible things, anyway).

KJT

* * * * * * * *
Change We Can Believe In - Barack Obama

Meet the new boss,
Same as the old boss

Won't Get Fooled Again - The Who


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Where is today's Episode?

I look forward to this every day, I hope Angharad and Bonzi are OK

Qyrx

yeah, but

Angharad has been incredibly good about posting a new chapter every day. If a day goes by without one I think we fans can survive (barely). Of course it isn't a very good time (in the story) to miss out considering how we are all worrying about poor Stella's state of body and mind and our heroine Cathy's state of mind. Like everyone else, I wish Angharad the best and hope all is well.

Missing?

She sent me a new short Gaby fanfic to proof that she is readying for Gabycon in a few days. (It will be read live there with a couple others, and then posted later.) She is also working on another one for the same doo. Maybe she is just busy getting it ready, and getting herself ready to attend. I miss Cathy too. I feel sure she will return shortly. Or maybe it got lost when the page reset itself.

I don't know what to say

Other than I will be on tenterhooks until I KNOW that Stella will be alright.

NB

Jessica
I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way.

It is probably a very good

It is probably a very good thing that Stella was in the hospital as the clot in her arm could have been there for a time and "killed" her at home.
Waiting for her to recover is like you are waiting for a member of your own family to recover. Angahard has truly made them all family for us.
I think Simon was speaking about the movie "Red Heat" that Arnie starred in as a Russian police officer who came to America to track down and take back to Russia a major drug dealer/Russian Mafia leader who was from there. Just my guess. J-Lynn

good guess

Angharad's picture

It was Red Heat, which was even more far fetched than this stuff.
Angharad

Angharad

Again

A not too subtle message for those who did Stella harm. At a thousand each, that was incredibly cheap. I suspect a competent body guard would be around 50K / year or so, for a man who makes millions a day this is also cheap.

So far , so good .

Leather Face died yesterday, Nov 9,2015!
I don't know about anyone else, but I need a drink, phew!

Cefin