Racing Angels -chp 10

Printer-friendly version


Racing Angels


Webster’s dictionary defines Speed as the fallowing: the rate of change of position along a straight line with respect to time over a set distance. In other words, the quicker you can get from one place to another. The question is what do you, do when your family has spent the last two generations in search of ways to accomplish this goal faster and faster. Would do you do when the family business is the search for more Speed. For Robert ‘Robby’ McGuire the answer is easy. You grab your sister and strap on a pair of Formula One racecars then go for broke.


Chapter 10
Thursday morning, Melbourne, Australia.
I was surprised by the hotel that mom was able to get for us. We were right downtown less than a half mile from where the race course would be set up. We flew in early on Sunday morning local time. By early I mean two in the morning local time. I wanted to pound Coach Hall when she woke us all up at just after eight that morning. Since then she has woken us up at just after six every morning for our daily training.

I swear that woman is Torquemada reincarnated. We started the day off with our daily workout in the hotel gym. After that it was off for a five-mile run. The route we take goes from the hotel down to the roads that would lead us around the actual race course then back to the hotel. For me these runs have been informative in a major way. Beth and I were able to get a real feel for the track. The course is going to be fast and relatively easy to drive. More than a few drivers have commented that the consistent placement of corners allows them to easily learn the circuit and achieve competitive times. I can see why they say this now. The relatively flat terrain around the lake, coupled with a track design that features few true straights, means that the track is not conducive to overtaking or easy spectating unless in possession of a grandstand seat.

Most of the trackside fencing, pedestrian overpasses, grandstands and other motorsport infrastructure are erected approximately two months prior to this coming Grand Prix weekend. As we run the course we get a good look at the area around the circuit. The area including the large aquatic center, a golf course, a Lakeside Stadium, some restaurants and rowing boathouses is now restricted access for the weekend. With each pasting yard Beth and I got a better feel for how the race would run.

The more we ran the course the better we get a feel for the course. I could already tell that the course was going to be fast. I knew that I would have to hold back on the engine. Too much on this track would end my race before it ever started. I’ll have to wait until tomorrow to get my first real feel for the track, but until then I’ve run the course twice every day. I know that I’m pushing myself, but the team is counting on me. This is my time. In twenty-four hours, I have my real Graduation on this course.

I turn to look at the dress hanging off to one side in a portable clothing rack. Tonight, is my first introduction into the fast-paced life style of a driver. Beth and I have been scheduled for an open-press meet and greet party by the Mercedes-Benz group. The cocktail dress is a dark maroon silken backless number with spaghetti straps. Its hem stops just above my knees. I’m just happy that the pumps that go with the dress only have two-inch heel. Any higher and I might make a fool of myself tonight. This was one of the outfits that mom and Issy picked out for me to wear.

There are three other outfits like this for the nighttime festivities that I have to deal with. Right now, I would give anything to be able to skip all the bullshit and just hang out with my friends. They have been busting their asses to get the cars ready to run, along with keeping up with their training. I overheard Chief Marks talking with dad last night that they are fast becoming some of the best pit crewmen he has ever had the pleasure of working with. I’m not surprised as they have no bad habits to break. They all latterly came into the industry with absolutely no experience. They really are learning on the job. Doing it the right way as far as the Crew Chiefs are concerned.

It’s me and Beth that have had to break some bad habits. Not big ones, but ones that we developed over the last few years test driving cars for mom and dad. We learned to drive in a way that allowed for us to jump from one type of racer to another. We’ve had to get used to driving only F1 cars and honing our skills for just that type of racing. I’m just happy that we were able to get a few days of the week on the Lady back home to work on that.

Not everything has been smooth sailing though. One of the things that I have been hearing about is the way the other International teams have been treating my pit crews. More than a few times it has come close to blows in the garage area. I know that as the new guys on the circuit we can expect some harassment from the other teams. The problem is they just don’t understand that pissing off a bunch of South Carolina rednecks is dangerous.

I’ve heard about some of the pranks that were already pulled on my guys and gals. They’ve been mostly harmless, but a few have come close to crossing the line. Especially the ones concerning the gals on the pit crews. Mom and dad went to the Commission over one of the pranks yesterday. It was either that or let the Four Horsemen and ‘The Tiger’ handle the problem. I still think that the boys all got together last night and handed out their own ‘penalties’ by the smug looks on their faces at breakfast. That and the bruises on the faces of the chief practical jokers.

I think that the jokes will end after today. If not, things will get deadly. I know my guys won’t start the fight, but they’ll damned sure to try and finish it. There is an old saying in South Carolina. One that is very true. Lee may have surrendered, but we started the war and we’re still fighting it. I also know that the other teams are going to leave the gals on my team alone after yesterday. One of the Red Bull Team mechanics slapped Jenny White, the smallest of the gals on my team on the ass. The hip toss, followed up by an armbar for submission hold, drove the point home that the female members of MRDI can handle themselves in a pinch. I guess it pays to have Tony ‘the Tiger’ Towers, all state Junior MMA champion as part of your team.

It seems he has been giving the others, lessons in self-defense or as kicking depending on who you talk to. Not that they really needed them. Like I said earlier, never piss off a South Carolina redneck. They get kind of mean and nasty when they fight. Things like ball crushing, knife strikes to the throat, chokeholds, eye gouging, and ear bighting are always on the table. Then there is always the possibility of a ‘Carolina tooth pick’ getting used as well. For those unfamiliar with the term that is a ten-inch folding hunting knife with a drop point lock blade.

Thank the good lord above that Chief Hailee and Marks searched the boys BEFORE we left Darlington. They made sure the guys left their hunting knives at home. I could just see the headlines now. American Teenage pit crew member guts and skins some famous dumbass European F1 driver. At least something along those lines. It’s bad enough that we’ve already gotten slapped with a stupid nickname in the pits. I mean come the fuck on, “Water Babies”, really? Where do those mooks come up with this shit?

I can deal with the nicknames those ass hat drivers have tagged me and Beth with. I don’t mind those, as every driver gets nailed with a nickname at one point or another in their career. What I cannot figure out is why the pit crews are going after our guys. I just hope like hell the other crews back off before it does turn deadly. Because I know that none of my crew will play fair and they only play for blood. I am fast realizing one of the disadvantages of having such a young crew from the backwoods of South Carolina on the international stage of F1.

I also realized that I’ve been stalling. I’m supposed to be downstairs in the conference room in forty minutes for my first real press conference. Once again, I give a silent thanks to the gods of fashion for Issy. I know that she can be a pain in my ass at times, but she knows what she’s doing when it comes to this stuff. Personally, I would avoid going to the press conference but the folks from Mercedes-Benz want to introduce their newest drivers and racing team. McGuire Racing Design Inc is about to become a household name. There will be a few sponsors there as well. We could really use one or two to help out with expenses.

I know that it may not seem like much but even a few hundred grand to pay for airfare and fuel will go a long way. I don’t want to rely solely on Mercedes-Benz if I don’t have a winning season. It would be extremely nice to have a cash cushion for the team’s finances. I’ve already heard that a big-name candy, and a soda pop company are looking to invest a little of their advertising bucks in a F1 team. Not to mention a few fast food chains. I don’t know what they’re expecting but if I have to kiss a little ass and put on a show. Then I’ll be kissing ass and dancing to their tune while doing my best not to make a fool of myself.

The only problem I have is that I don’t know this dance. Hell, I barely know how to dance as a girl. I sure as hell don’t know how to dance to the tune of politics. This is one time that I wish mom could stand in for me. She always knows just what to say to potential investors. She never lets dad talk with investors. The one time she did that dad took them out for Big Macs, fries, and milkshakes. Followed by a night of twelve-once decreasing curls at J&G Pub out on State route 17. It took mom four days to straighten out that mess. I just hope that I can pull it off today and later on this evening. There is just too much riding on my introduction to the F1 community.

I look over at the clothes Issy picked out for me. As I get dressed for the occasion, I’m kind of glad that the outfit is something that I would wear on a daily basis. I’ve grown to like my jodhpurs, or breeches, with a casual polo, blouses and boots. I know that most women wouldn’t wear something like this all the time, but for me the style works. Thanks to Issy I’ve come to embrace the whole Equestrian look and make it mine in so many ways. Beth has really taken to her new look as a Milan Model. I think that and our attitudes towards the other drivers is why they have tagged me and Beth with our nicknames. The Fire and Ice Princesses.

If they think were cold and fiery now, wait until we get behind the wheels of our cars. Over the past month both Beth and I developed two very distinctive styles of driving. Styles that were as different as they were unique. I had always been fast paced, passionate behind the wheel. Letting my emotions and feelings dictate how I attack the course. Beth on the other hand drives as if she is made of ice. Hard cold, logical, totally in control of her emotions as if she was plugged into a computer.

The knock at my room door dragged me out of my thoughts and back to the present. “Coming.” I open the door to find Kelly, Beth, and Tony. “Hi guys. What’re you doing here?”

“We’re your escort, Bobbie.” Tony said bluntly.

“I don’t need no escort. I know where I’m supposed to be. I also know that I have ten minutes before I have to be there.” I grumbled before letting them into my room. “I just got to grab my purse and we can go.”

“Bobbie, talk to me here love. What’s got your panties in a twist?” Kelly demanded of me.

“No shit Bobbie. You sound like you’re ready to take someone’s head off. I’ve never seen you like this. Not even when you were at your sickest.” Beth asked kindly.

“You should know, Beth. You’re in the same spot that I am.” I snapped. I realized I was taking out my nervousness on my friends and sister. I took a deep breath to calm down. “Sorry.”

Beth just smiled as Kelly pulled me into a hug. Tony just stood back and let us girls handle the problem. He did smirk though. “I won’t believe it, if I wasn’t here to see it. Bobbie the Fire Princess is scared of talking to a bunch of reporters.”

“Just what is that supposed to mean, Tony?” I asked with heat.

“I’m just standing here thinking about what you did last week. I mean you had those boneheads shaking in their boots and heels one minute then eating out of your hand the next. Where is that confident and cocky Formula One driver that we all busted our asses for? The one that is more than willing to take to the backroads of Darlington county to resolve a beef.” Tony was smiling at me now. The smile didn’t quite reach his eyes. “Just be yourself Bobbie. If the vultures get out of hand just smile over at me. I’ll happily escort them outside for a little one on one counseling on the right way to treat ladies. I’m sure that the rest of the pit team will back me on this.”

“Damn it, Tony! I don’t need you or the guys pounding on possible assholes. Just let me deal with the press.” The moment the words were out of my mouth I know what Tony had done. I just smirked and grabbed my purse. “Come on guys let’s go.”

After a short ride down in the elevator and a quick walk through the lobby. We arrived at the conference room. It didn’t took long for the newshounds to swarm me and Beth. Thank the gods of racing, mom came to our rescue. Well, her and the people from Mercedes-Benz. When I first met Mr. Gunderson from the Mercedes-Benz Advertising branch I didn’t like the man. After today though, the first chance I get I’m buying that man a fifth of the best German Schnapps I can get my hands on. The way he backed the reporters down made me think of that scene in the movie Patton with George C. Scott. The one where he is addressing his commanders during the Battle of the Bulge and their drive to relieve Baston.

He took control of the room and commanded their attention from the start. He never let the news jackals get out of hand during their questioning of either me or Beth. He forced them to stick strictly to questions about our time as drivers. When one butt wipe tried to dig into our personal lives Gunderson had him removed and banded from the upcoming press events. After about thirty-minutes of Q and A he called for an end. After thanking them he ran their asses out of the room and turned the meeting over to us for the greet part. Now was the time that I was worried about.

I was surprised when a woman in her mid-forties introduced herself to me. “Good afternoon, Roberta. Allow me to introduce myself. Irina Goldberg of Maverick Fashions.”

It took me a few seconds to put things together as to who this woman was. “The pleasure is mine ma’am. I have to tell you that I really do love your clothing line. As I’m sure you can tell.”

“I thought I recognized that combination. That’s from last year’s fall line. It was very popular with our teenage riders.” I could not believe that I was talking with Irina Goldberg. Not just the lead designer for Maverick Equestrian fashions but their CEO. What the hell was she doing here kept running though my head. “My good friend Isabella La Fayette, told me that I should look you up when you came to town for the race. She did not tell me that you and your sister were two of the drivers.”

“Well, we’re just starting out in the field. I won’t call us drivers just yet. After tomorrow you can.” I smiled as I down played our success so far.

“Excuse me but did I just hear one of the newest drivers on the Grand Prix Circuit showing modesty?” Said a man I hadn’t met yet standing behind Irina. “Irina, please introduce me to this young lady? I most know more about her.”

“James, will you behave yourself. As for the young lady showing modesty you could not be furthest from the truth.” Irina turned to the man with a smile. “Roberta McGuire, this gentleman is James Rubbart for Hershey International.”

As I held out my hand to shake his, Irina leaned over and stage whispered. “Count your fingers when done dear. He’s a lawyer.”

I couldn’t help myself. I started to giggle at the look of hurt on Mr. Rubbart’s face. “Irina, you wound me. I am a gentleman at all times. Unless you meet in a courtroom.”

“Roberta, do you know why the good Lord made snakes first?” I didn’t know where Irina was going but shook my head no. “He needed the practice before he made lawyers.”

That was it. I lost it. I couldn’t help myself as I laughed at the joke and Mr. Rubbart just shrugged his shoulders. “At least she didn’t go for the one about the shipwreck survivors.”

“Excuse me sir? What do you mean by that?” I had to hear this one.

Mr. Rubbert smiled. “Please call me James young lady. And the joke that I was talking about concerns the ten survivors of a shipwreck off the cost of South Africa. The sharks there had attacked and eaten all the others that made it off the ship but left these ten men alone. When the news found out that they were all lawyers the answer became apparent for their survival. Professional curtesy.”

I started to laugh again. Once I had regained my composure. “Roberta McGuire, sir. It is a pleasure to meet you. You remind me of our family lawyers back home. You might have heard of them, Dewey, Cheatem, and Howe of Darlington, South Carolina.”

“I thought I heard a southern drawl.” He smiled wide. “Though I am slightly surprised to find not one but two southern bells on the Grand Prix circuit. I figured that you young ladies would have gone for a NASCAR ride. Being from Darlington and all.”

“Sir, if my sister were ever to go NASCAR she would be just as fast.” Beth said as she and Tony walked up with Kelly. “Sis, mom wants to see you over the snack table.”

“Excuse me young lady but I am sure your mother will understand me monopolizing your sister’s time.” Mr. Rubbart said with confidence. He was just a little too smug for my tastes just then. “After all I’m considering signing over several thousands of dollars to your racing teams.”

“No offence, Mr. Rubbart, but you don’t know jack shit about our family. If you think I’m going to make my mother wait. You’re fucking nuts.” I told the pompous ass as I turned to walk away. “Oh, and if you really want to make that investment you need to follow me. I just drive the cars our parents design and build.”

I smiled over at Irina as she hid the smile playing on her lips behind the champagne flute. Beth, and Kelly, fell in behind me while Tony just smirked as he turned to follow. Not before he gave Rubbart some much needed advice.

“Sir, if I can give you some advice.” Rubbart nodded. “When it comes to the McGuire family do yourself a real big favor. Be honest, and don’t try to double talk them. Show them the respect they’ve earned. You do that, and they’ll deal with you. You don’t, and they’ll hand you your hat along with your ass.”

Word of that little exchange between Tony and Rubbart would spread like wildfire in the conference room. I found mom talking with a man in his mid-fifties with slightly graying hair. The most striking thing about the man was his right arm was missing. He didn’t hid the fact that his arm missing either. He had one of those old-fashioned hooks for a hand. I didn’t need an introduction this time. I knew exactly who I was meeting.

David McFeeters, CEO of Advertising for the golden arches. Talk about getting an international fast food chain for a sponsor. If we land this contract I know we won’t have to worry over money. Mr. McFeeters gave Beth, and I, a warm smile as he held out his left hand for the introductions.

“Mr. McFeeters, I would like to introduce my youngest daughter, Roberta. Roberta, this is Mr. David McFeeters. CEO of Advertising for your favorite place to eat.” I grasped his left hand with my own as mom made the introductions. I gave him my best welcoming smile. “Roberta is the other half of the team’s drivers.”

“It is a real pleasure to meet you sir. Though I am more than a little surprised to see you here. Your company is not known for sponsoring sports teams or other such endeavors.” I felt that I should be honest with the man. After all, if Mickey D’s was going to support any sport it would most likely be a US only sport.

“On the contrary young lady.” Mr. McFeeters chuckled. “We have a history of supporting sports. Granted that history has never really gone to the International Racing community.”

“I stand corrected, sir. I forget that your company has been a major sponsor for the Olympics for several decades now.” I put on my best charming smile and played the game. A game that I wasn’t fully equipped to handle. “But I must admit that most of my experience has been with your Ronald McDonald Houses sir. I would think that you would put more of your advertising dollars into their operations than in a racing team.”

McFeeters chuckled again and turned to mom. “You should have warned me Jewels. Your youngest is just as charming as your oldest. I would never have thought that a young lady would have such a view. How is it Roberta has heard of our Houses?”

“My family made use of the one in Charleston South Carolina, sir.” I sighed as I knew that it would come out at some time and took the bull by the horns. “I’m a cancer survivor sir. Childhood leukemia. I’m currently in my fourth year of remission.”

McFeeters turned from jovial to deadly serious as he addressed my mother. “You know that contract you were proposing Jewels. Tear it up and rewrite for double. Put in there a clause that for every lap that Roberta and Beth run I’ll donate a hundred dollars to the Houses out of my own pocket. For every car they pass two hundred, for every lap either one leads a thousand, and for every race they win I’ll match the purse.”

“Is that last part a challenge, sir?” I asked with a wicked smile. One that was matched by Beth. The man didn’t know who he was dealing with and we had no problems taking his money.

“If you wish to take as such young lady, then yes, it is.” McFeeters just smiled not realizing the trap he just stepped into.

“Um… sir you really need to reconsider what you just said.” I wanted to pound Kelly just then. I had the man and his money. He just didn’t realize it yet.

“Why should I do that young lady? I find that it would be a great incentive for my news drivers to win.” McFeeters gave Kelly a questioning look that had Tony chuckling. “What am I missing here young man?”

“Sir, the McGuire sisters, race for pinks or cash. You do not throw down a challenge like that and walk away with either. More than one dumbass has learned that the hard way.” Tony answered truthfully then started to chuckle even harder. “You don’t under any circumstances want to challenge them to a rat-race. You’ll lose more than just the race. You lose your car.”

McFeeters looked at Tony as the warning sank in and chuckled. “Young man I take that you’re part of their pit crews.” Tony just nodded his head. “If what I have heard from Mr. Maybach is true then they can have my money. I think it a shame that you cannot claim your record at Darlington.”

“Before you sign that contract McFeeters you should see what they can do on a REAL race track first. Once you see that they’re nothing but hype you’ll be more than happy to sign with a REAL racing team.” The moment I heard the man’s accent I knew that I was going to hate the asshole. I’ve never been a big fan of the Italians and their attitudes towards none European racers. “ALL that American racing is going around and around in circles. No real skill is involved. My seven-year-old boy can do that.”

Yup, I hated the fuck wad, alright. Before I could put the man in his place though Mr. McFeeters glared at the man and growled. “Fontana there is one thing you need to understand here. Darlington Raceway is the oldest paved NASCAR raceway. It is also the track that those drivers were training on the hardest. You race the track not the other drivers there. As for the European courses there is none that compare. You want a REAL challenge of your skills behind the wheel? Then do what this young lady and her sister did on a track that has been called the Track TOO Tough to TAME. And for damned good reason.”

“Here, here, well said, David. Well said indeed.” The refined and cultured voice of the woman who had walked up just then made me do a double take. I don’t know who this woman was, but she really cowed the Italian dipshit with just an icy glare. “Unless you have driven on a true NASCAR track you need to curb your attitude. Those men and women will put your arrogant ass into the wall. Just to teach you some manners.”

McFeeters went in for the kill. “And unless you’ve danced at over two-hundred miles per hour going three-wide into turn three at Pocono or drove through the big one at Talladega. You haven’t driven yet. Until you do then you need to correct your attitude.”

“They are nothing more than a publicity stunt. It will become apparent the moment they qualify. Or should I say fail to qualify.” Fontana snapped as he turned and walked away. He stopped and looked over at me. “And you little girl. Don’t get in my way. You do, and you’ll regret it. As I put you into the wall.”

“You know something partner.” Tony growled behind me. “You really need to check that shit at the door. You really DON’T know who you’re screwing with. Take this as your last warning. Race clean, race respectful. You don’t, and Bobbie has no problem with getting down and dirty. She has no problems with putting people into the ditch or wall at over one-twenty.”

“Anthony, calm down.” Mom ordered as Tony blushed at having his full name used that way. “Bobbie and Beth will show him and the others that our girls are no publicity stunt.”

Tony just nodded his head saying. “Yes, ma’am Mrs. McGuire.”

“I must say Jewels, you have your young team will trained.” I wanted to say something to the lady, but I still didn’t know her name. Mom on the other hand didn’t have that problem.

“Clarice, when it comes to my team’s pit crews there is something you need to understand. They are highly disciplined, and highly dedicated professionals. They may be young, but don’t try them. They will hurt you and not care. It is a product of their upbringing. Just as my daughters drive to the fullest of their abilities our pit crews strive to excel in their own field.” There was something in mom’s voice that I knew all too well. She was in her ‘don’t screw with me’ mama bear mode.

The people that were around us started to chuckle. I don’t know what was going on, but it seems that a lot of these people knew mom better than I knew. One guy even shouted out. “AND the Bitch is back! Good to have you on the circuit again Jewels.”

“Herman, you can stop now. It my daughters’ time to shine.” For one of the few times I saw my mother blush. Whatever the story was behind her blushing I really wanted to know. “My time in the sun has long passed me and Robert by. No need to bring up old stories.”

“Now, now, Jewels. I’m sure that your daughters would love to hear about your time as one of the best engine mechanics on the circuit.” Clarice said with a smug tone. “Or that Robert paid his way through college by working in the pits.”

Now this was all news to me and Beth. We knew that mom and dad had ties to NASCAR, F1, and the other racing industries. We didn’t know that they actually worked the race circuit though. “I had thought that they met in college.”

Mom sighed. “We did meet in college Roberta. We also got married while in college. We got our start though by working as members of established racing firms. Me for my engine transmission designs and your father for his car designs.”

“What she isn’t saying is how she earned her nickname, Roberta.” Clarice said with a smile. “She was so protective of her designs that pit crews called her the Wicked Bitch of the garage.”

“Um… excuse me ma’am. But who are you?” Beth asked what was on my mind. And that of others as well.

“Girls, Anthony, the woman who has been talking out of school is Clarice Thomson. CEO of Marketing for K&N high performance air filters.” Mom growled through clenched teeth. “And don’t pay her any attention. She loves to spread rumors.”

“Oh, you love it and you know it, Jewels.” The man who had hollered out earlier chided my mom. “It has been too long since you last graced our raceways. Twenty-one-years too long.”

I looked over at mom to see her blushing. She was actually embarrassed by the greeting she was getting. I know that this was supposed to be mine and Beth’s introduction, but it was fast turning into a welcoming return to the sport for mom. I wonder how dad was doing down in the garage areas. I would have to wait to find out. For now, I still had to deal with the meet and greet.

“The man with the load mouth is Herman Shultz for Triple S Motor Sports girls. He is a bigger scoundrel than your father. Just as loveable too.” Mom gave the man a friendly hug. “We heard about Gretchen. Did the flowers arrive in time?”

“They were quite beautiful, Jewels. Gretchen also did love her bluebells. She went quietly and in no pain.” Herman turned somber. “She would have loved to meet your daughters.”

“She would have scolded them for putting up with that ass Fontana. If she had been here I think it would have been a toss up between who got to gut the man first. Roberta or her.” I didn’t know who mom was talking about but guessed that she was the man’s dead wife. At least I hoped so.

“You know that she would have beaten Roberta to the punch by pulling sonority of survivorship.” At my blank look Herman gave me a smile. “Gretchen was my oldest daughter. She would have been nineteen this year. She succumbed to her cancer last year.”

“You have my sympathies, sir. I know how hard it can be to fight back after a while. If it wasn’t for my sister there are times that I would have given in.” I was honest with the man. I knew exactly where his daughter had to have been mentally.

“It sounds like you have some experience with cancer young lady.” I turned to looked at Clarice before just nodding my head. “I see. Then it is no wonder that you do not fear the tracks or high-speeds. You most have been close a few times.”

You would have thought that the AC just got turned down to minus twenty below. If it hadn’t then it was mom’s tone of voice that dropped the temperature of the room. Even I was a little worried over what she might say.

“What my daughter has faced in her short life is not open for comment Clarice. All of you need to understand this right now. If one word of what my child has gone through ever leeks out. I will own your fucking company. If you doubt me, let me remind you all of how I handled stupid people that tried to get a hold of my designs. I don’t take prisoners.” Mom growled as she looked at one man in particular. “Horatio, I would suggest that you get your people in line before I let my daughter handle the problem.”

The man just nodded his head and kissed mom’s hand. “Consider it done Jewels. Not one word will ever escape our lips.”

“See that it doesn’t. Should that happen, I will order my daughters to take no prisoners on the track.” I don’t know what mom was driving at but I just smiled. There was no humor in the smile when the man looked over at me and Beth he shivered.

“Jewels, why do I have the feeling that your daughters would joyfully put the other drivers into the wall?” He asked mom.

“Because they don’t play games. Remember they have grown up driving and racing on the back roads of Darlington County. A place where winners are scored by the cars they leave in the ditch.” Mom told the man with a predatory smile. “For them the old saying of ‘If you ain’t cheating, you ain’t trying.’ Is a way of life.”

To say that mom had just dropped a bomb was an understatement. I looked over at Beth and she just gave me a smirk. “Damned straight. Time to set the world on fire mom.”

“Elizabeth. How many times have I talked with you about your language? You can expect Coach Hall to have a word with you in the morning about proper lady like behavior.” I wanted to giggle at Beth being scolded in front of everybody but knew better.

I didn’t escape mom’s temper. “The same goes for you Roberta. I heard your language earlier with Mr. Rubbart.”

“Shit.” I mumbled under my breath. Only to get a glare from mom and chuckles for the rest of the crowd. “Sorry.”

“Jewels your daughters are a breath of fresh air. Let me make a complementary offer to David’s. Hersey will match their offer dollar for dollar. Across the whole of the contract.” Rubbart said with a confidence that showed his arrogance.

“James I suggest you hear my offer before you say that.” McFeeters told Rubbart quickly. Only to have me jump on the offer before the man could change his mind.

“DONE.” I gave mom a sly smile as I went in for the kill. “Let’s see that will be a hundred dollars to the Ronald McDonald Houses out of your own pocket for every lap we run. For every car we pass two hundred, for every lap either one of us leads a thousand, and for every race we win you’ll match the purse. Plus, two and a half million in standard sponsorship. Is that right mom?”

“With the exception of the two-point-five million yes. The standard sponsorship Mr. McFeeters has offered is a straight five million, Roberta. Though I think we can let Mr. Rubbart off with just honoring the two-point-five IF he consents to the rest.” Mom was in her HBIC mode. When she gets like this not even dad tries to change her mind. It’s one of the reasons MRDI is successful.

Had turned white when he heard what McFeeters had offered. When mom backed my play, I knew that we had him. He couldn’t backdown, not when he made the offer in front of all the other Executives. Especial now that mom threw him a bone by letting his company off with just 2.5 million in sponsorship fees. I waited as Rubbart thought things over before he just nodded his head then smiled.

“No. I said that I and my company would match David’s offer, Jewels. I meant what I said, and I’ll stand by that. If it is five-million then that is what we’ll pay.” I could tell that Rubbart didn’t like being backed into a corner, but he did it to himself. The man let his alligator mouth overload his jaybird ass.

“Then as my daughter said. Done. I’ll send the contract over by courier once it has been drawn up for your signature, James.” Mom told the man with a smile.

Clarice started to chuckle. “Once again, Jewels, you have shown the men of our world that the female is the deadlier of the species. Especially when it comes to protecting their young.”

“Now, Clarice you know better than that.” Mom pouted. “Besides, I wasn’t the one to bring in those deals. That was Roberta.”

“Now, wait one minute here mom. All I did was talk to Mr. McFeeters and Mr. Rubbart. They were the ones to approach me.” I countered with a smile. There was no way I was going to take all the credit for landing the two sponsors. “You were the one to work the deals.”

“Is that so young lady? I distinctly remember you basically accepting a generous offer as a challenge. Then upping the ante before I even realized what you were doing.” Mr. Rubbart smirked.

“Hey, that was your fault not mine. You made the bet before realizing the stakes.” I quickly countered.

“I must say Jewels, your daughters are just as feisty as you are. Do they drive with the same passion?” Shultz asked mom.

“Herman, there are two things you need to know about my daughters. First, they always race for cash or pinks. Their passion has always been fast cars and racing those same cars. Not always legally. Secondly, they’ll run a clean race, until it is time to play dirty. When they play dirty, they play hard.” Mom just let that predatory smile of hers grow as she described the way me and Beth drove. “Treat them with respect or pay the price.”

“It seems that the Wicked Bitch has decided to let her daughters take over for her on the track.” A new man said with a smile. He pulled mom into a hug. “Good to have you back Jewels. It has been too long. Where is Robert? Shouldn’t he be here with you? Or is he down in the pits as usual?”

“Johnathan, so good to see old friend. Where is Trisha?” Mom said as she returned the hug.

“Where else? Down in the garage fussing over her babies.” This Johnathan guy told mom.

“The same with Robert.” Mom chuckled and turned to me and Beth. “Girls I would like for you to meet Johnathan Worth. Lead designer for the TRI racing team. He and his wife are also a very old friends of mine and your father.”

“Is that all you can say? Old friends. Really Jewels!” Johnathan huffed before turning me and Beth. “What your mother should be saying is that we’re as close to being family as you can get. Your parents introduced me to my wife. We’ve know each other for more than twenty-two years.”

He took my right and kissed the back of it smiling. “Johnathan Worth young lady. At your service. Beautiful flowers such you and your sister really need to sign with a larger firm. We could do so much together.”

“Tell me something, sir. Have you always been full of shit?” I asked him with a straight face. When I really wanted to smack him. The room busted out in laughter as I wiped my hand on the handkerchief that Tony handed me. I looked over at mom. “Mama, can I get a disinfectant for my hand?”

My words set off another round of laughter. Even Johnathan was chuckling. “Jewels, do me a favor?”

“What is it, Johnathan?”

“Whatever happens, if you ever let your daughters drive for someone else. You give me a call first.” Johnathan had turned deadly serious as he talked with mom.

“Why should I do that?”

“Because no one else is going to be able to handle them.” He looked over at me and Beth. “I have seen passionate drivers before, but none that are so dynamically different. One fire, one ice.”

Tony just had to comment. “They’re our Princesses of Fire and Ice.”

-----tbc-----

up
531 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Your stories make my week

Your stories make my week worth sitting through I absolutely love them

Bring on the racing

Already have one driver mad at Bobbie but not a problem. Can't wait for the race to start. Another great story, thanks.

School is about to start

Jamie Lee's picture

The other drivers, like Fontana, may think they are going to school Beth and Roberta. What they don't know is that they are schooled, on real road courses, not made up ones.

They also don't know the skill the girls possess, but are going to find out in a hurry. They can look forward to Fontana and others trying to spoil the girl's race. But they are going to get schooled on what real driving is all about.

Others have feelings too.

There and are more questions....

There and are more questions that ought to be answered in the next couple chapters. For the xample here are two; who is going to be stupid enough to get a really harsh lesson and whose pit crew is short members in the morning?

"Once again, Jewels,

Monique S's picture

you have shown the men of this world, that the female is the deadlier of the species. Especially when it comes to protecting their young."

So true!

Wonderful story!
Monique.

Monique S

Definately a different culture

than I am used too I was a bit surprised at the names you used for corporate sponsorship, I have seen many authors being ver cautious about such.

I f my PMs bother you in in the slightest please let me know and I will knock it off.

sponsorship and usage of corp names

wolfjess7's picture

I did some digging into that very problem before writing this chp. According to the way the law is written so long as I don't try to claim ownership or use an actual person working for those companies. You can use their names in a fictional setting. At least I hope I understood that correctly. If I'm wrong I'll be making changes before going to print.

May the peace and happiness of the Goddess keep and protect you
as always your humble outlaw
Jessie Wolf

Hurray for stupid people

My5InchFMHeels's picture

Love that there are so many stupid people for Bobbie to take out some aggression on, even if only verbally. Not to mention Mom can have some fun too.

yupper

Practice and qualifying are almost as good (for the spectators) as race day. Eagerly awaiting the next installment!!
Dittoes on what SRG wrote!!
a

alissa

I do believe a certain

I do believe a certain Italian driver is going to get his ass handed to him during this race. Not only by one, but two girls. That would most definitely be something to see. Personally, I don't believe that most F-1 drivers can hold a candle to 99% of NASCAR drivers; as they would wimp out after about 5-10 laps.

Fontana

If Fontana doesn't drive clean, I can see food poisoning with a 12-layered lasagna happening in his future. >:-> Hmm, I'm wondering if Robbie is considering going full girl one day... Again, great chapter & story.^^

Please, can I have some more?

What SR Grace said...

I can't wait for the next episode. You are so good at bringing interesting characters to life.

Lawyer jokes

There are probably at least as many jokes about lawyers as there are lawyers but one of the better ones (IMHO) is:
Q: How do you tell the difference between a snake in the road and a lawyer in the road?
A: There are skid marks in front of the snake!

More of this one

I really love this story. Please keep it going as it seems like so much of Roberta's story is to come. Thanks for a great story and I hope dozens of chapters are in the future.

Never mess with the McGuires

They take no prisoners - especially Jewels, Beth and Roberta. It may also be that downstairs, Robert's been dishing out a few "gentle reminders"...


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!