Gaby Book 17 ~ Seasons ~ Chapter *22* Ironed Out

Printer-friendly version


 
 
*Chapter 22*
Ironed Out

 
 

“Must be something I ate,” I suggested as we sat in the car waiting for the race to come through again.
“Possibly,” Dad sort of agreed, “you should’ve stopped sooner if you were being sick.”
“I wasn’t sick until just up the road.”
“Hmmm. Here they come.”

Dad climbed out to shout encouragement; I stayed in my seat feeling sorry for myself.

The others were already in the changing rooms by the time I finally got there, still feeling decidedly sorry for myself.

“What happened to you?” Mand asked.
“You don’t look great,” Ron added.
“I don’t feel great either, who won?”
“Your Belgischer as you predicted,” Ron told me.
“I need a shower,” I noted as I pulled my now grubby socks off.

I grabbed my towel and headed for the facilities, maybe I’ll feel better after a shower.

“Sugar!”
“What’s up,” Mand asked following me into the showers, “oh.”

Oh indeed, the seat in my shorts was stained, no not there, what do you think I am, seems Mand was on the mark earlier.

“You got any pads?”
“Probably.”

All I need, I thought the pills were supposed to stop this, If there’s one thing I really hate about being a girl it’s this stuff. I showered and cleaned myself up, I might be sort of used to my revised anatomy now but some things just seem wrong.

“Everything alright?” Angela asked when we reached the car.
“Looks like it’s my period.”
“Poor you, let’s get you home.”

I settled into my corner and tried to get comfortable, drifting off to the other occupants of the car discussing the race.

“You guys coming in?” Angela’s voice broke my slumber.
“Best not,” Dad replied, “I should get Gab home.”
“Okay, we’ll see you next week.”
“I’ll call you later,” Dad’s voice advised.

There was a bit of door opening and closing, muffled voices and a slight jolt as we departed Mettmann after the briefest of stops. Back home I left Mand with the washing and went straight to bed, it’d better be better in the morning; I’ve not leaked much more which has to be good.

“Hmm, somethings not right,” Mum stated next morning, “doctor’s for you, young lady.”

I was feeling a lot better, not 100% but I’ve not been sick again – I’ve not eaten either mind.

“Doctor’s? Really?”
“Really, we need to find out what’s the matter; you don’t want this every month.”
“Guess not,” I agreed.
“Well get yourself ready, I’ll drop you at school afterwards.”
“School?”
“School,” she confirmed.
Oh well, guess I’d best ring Con let her know.

I thought we’d go to the Frauenklinik at Remagen but instead we headed to Dr Martin’s surgery here in Dernau. The German system is quite different to back in England, if you go to Dr Martin it’s her you’ll see, there might be UK style health centres in the cities I guess but not here. Mum had rung ahead; it was a quiet morning apparently so we only waited a couple of minutes before being sent through.

“Frau Bond, Gaby, what can I do for you?”

Mum explained on my behalf with me confirming what she said.

“And you’ve been taking your iron?”
“Uh huh.”
“You’re on Mercilon™?”
“Something like that,” I agreed sort of recognising the name.

After more questions and checking my blood pressure the Doc came to a decision.

“Well we’d best do some bloods, we do need to get to the bottom of this,” she scribbled something on a pad and passed it to me, “pop into Fritzi with that and make an appointment for Wednesday, we should have some answers by then.”
“Should I take anything now?”
“Nothing different to usual, we’ll assess things Wednesday.”

I went round to see Fritzi whilst Mum went to sort out the paperwork at reception and make the appointment for me.
“Heya.”
“Oh hi, Gaby, what can I do for you today?”
“Blood,” I allowed giving her the Doctor’s slip.
“Hmm,” she read the scrawl, how comes all doctors are so bad at writing? “Right, sit yourself down and roll up a sleeve.”

It’s not the first time I’ve had blood taken, or even the first here so I sort of know the score.

Of course you don’t know Fritzi do you? She certainly isn’t what I was expecting first time I met her; for starters she’s got tattoos, not little girly things but like her arms are fully inked. Combined with her piercings and currently cerise hair she looks more like, well not like a nurse anyhow. She’s quite pretty but I’m not sure I like the tattoos, all skulls and stuff, but each to their own.

She drew two vials of blood and in no time she was finished.

“There we go, should have the results Mittwoch.”
“I’m back here then.”
“Oh, like the nose, suits you.”
Well duh, it is my nose, the one I was born with, “Er thanks.”
“I bet you’d look even cuter with a ring in,” she opined.
Oh she means my nose stud! I do not want to look cuter, “Er yeah.”
“Seriously you should try it, drives the boys crazy.”
As if I need that, “Er thanks, I’d best go, Mum’s waiting, tschuss.”
“Tschussie.”
I made good my escape and found Mum in reception.
“All done?”
“Er yeah.”
“You’ll have to come on your own Wednesday, I could only get you in at three,” she advised as we left the building, “you okay with that?”
I suppose I’ll have to be, might get Con or Steff to come with, “I guess.”

It was mid-morning when I finally got to school, for some reason we had to go via Lidl®, so I had to check in with Claudia in the office.

“Hi Gaby, you missed registration.”
“Er yeah, doctors.”
“Okay,” she handed me the late folder, we have to fill it in and sign in if we’re late – even if we have a note.

I filled the slip out and passed it back.

“Everything okay?”
“Women’s problems,” I allowed.
“Nothing serious I hope?”
“Don’t think so, I was a bit ill at the race yesterday so Mum dragged me to the Doc ‘just in case’. I’d best get to class I suppose.”

I picked up my bag and headed off to join my History class.

“That Gaby?” Sylvie Boxberg enquired entering the office.
“Yes boss, been to the doctors,” Claudia advised the school’’s Head.
“Hope it’s nothing serious, poor kids been through enough the last few months.”
“She’s a tough nut and has good friends.”
Sylvie sighed, “Doesn’t make it easier though, I just hope she doesn’t pop, she has irons in so many fires.”
“You know she’s seeing young von Strechau?”
“Yes, at least he’s pretty level headed. Have you got last week’s absence register?”
Claudia pulled the folder out, “Not many last week – young Preiser missed Monday and Tuesday.”
“Unusual,” Sylvie observed, “can you bring some coffee when the Burgermeister arrives, please.”
“Talk of the devil,” said official could be seen on the CCTV at the front entrance with his deputy.

“Everything okay?” Con enquired in a whisper.
“Bit off colour,” I supplied.

We might still have classes but this side of the exams it’s more of a discussion group, Herr Ansbacher gives a short presentation then we get to discuss it. Today it’s the impact unification has had on the country.

“We thought you’d crashed or something,” Pia told me when we settled under the apple trees for an al fresco lunch.
“Nothing so dramatic,” I mentioned as I puzzled over the best angle of attack on my sandwich.
“So?” Nena pressed.
“Er monthly issues.”

I’m really not comfortable discussing this stuff.

“Thought you were on the pill?” Bridg rather loudly opined.
“You don’t have to tell everyone.”
“Er sorry, you are though aren’t you, I’m sure you told us a bit back.”
“Something about your racing,” Steff added.
“Well it’s not so I can have sex.”
“That’s just a bonus,” Con giggled.
“Con,” I complained.
“Just kidding, I’m sure Max hates the idea too.”
“And how would I know?” I queried having totally missed the irony in her voice.
“We looking for dresses this afternoon?” Pia suggested.
“Sounds like a plan,” Steff allowed.
“I’ve got training.”
“Not if you’re sick,” Nena pointed out.
Well I suppose it wouldn’t hurt to give it a miss this once, “’Kay, not that I need one.”

“Heard from Bern this week?” I enquired as I joined Mart in doing the chairs on desks thing.
“Er yeah,” he told me hesitatingly.
“So?”
“Er they’re all fine; we were at Nottingham and Sheffield.”
“We?”
“She, her and Drea.”

Hmmm, Mart’s not generally that vague, he definitely said we first, guess I should speak to Bern sometime, wonder what she was in Sheffield for? I haven’t even emailed for a couple of weeks, I’ll ring before we go to cheer.

Maddy Bell © 14.10.16

up
276 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I dunno

Feeling a bit sorry for Mart. I think he is in over his head. And sinking.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Marty

Agree with Karen. I don't think Marty really understands what Bernie has essentially done to him... While Bernie may have good intentions, I think she has created a problem big league ... Marty taking Connie to prom isn't gonna fair well either ... Then there's the moped issue, and Gaby iron defiencey issue also or worse.

That is so true

Jamie Lee's picture

Sylvie is so right, Gaby has too many irons in the fire. And no one sees it or is involved enough in her personal life to see the problem. Between her insomnia, other involvements, and still not fully accepting she is a girl, she is going to come apart. Something simple is going to trigger her melt down and it will end her racing for some time.

Wonder how Dave and Jenny will feel when it happens? Wonder if they'll see their part in it happening? Wonder if they'll see how the sole focus on racing is part of the problem?

When Gaby melts down, she'll have no choice but to start seeing a counselor. But how open with a counselor will she be? Will the counselor be able to see that Gaby is hiding things that are bothering her? Will Gaby be able to listen to the counselor without going to la-la land as she often does?

Hopefully someone will discover some of the truths Gaby's been hiding before she does melt down. But with the main focus being on racing, it's doubtful.

Others have feelings too.