Tammy:Moving On - Chapter 4 "Grounded"

Printer-friendly version
Moving On  

Part
 
Four

 

"Grounded"

 

 
Saturday 8th April 2017
 

Tammy had been in the air for half an hour when she declared an emergency and brought her plane back to Wick. She got down safely and taxied back to the Smart aviation hanger. Jim was waiting.

"What went wrong?"

"It didn't feel right, the engine was losing power then, ten seconds later, came back to full. After the second time this happened I called the tower and said I was coming back in, I reckon I barely made it."

"You're right to do so, let's get it inside and I'll have the fitter take a look."

Within an hour they were on the phone to the manufacturer, not receiving the answers they wanted.

"I'm sorry Miss Smart but we have no record of you nor of the engine or chassis numbers. In fact we only have a few prototype aircraft of that model at the moment."

"So what do I have?"

"It's clearly a fake, I'm sorry."

"Is there anything you can do?"

"I'm afraid it's a matter for your authorities now, but thank you for informing us."

Tammy had the call on speaker so Jim could hear both sides. "Well, Tammy, I'm sorry. We used a broker in Belgium for the transaction and all of the paperwork tallied."

"I suppose we need to inform the CAA straight away?"

"Correct. I'm truly sorry, Tammy, I should have been more thorough when buying the plane. I've let you down."

"Let's not play what-ifs. Perhaps we could hold off the calls for a few hours? I want to get some equipment from home before anyone else gets their hands on my plane."

"It won't be going anywhere, neither will I."

Tammy drove home to retrieve the bug detector from her secure box. She was on the way out of the door only a few minutes after arrival but was delayed by her father who queried what she was doing home. Thirty minutes later she pulled back into Wick Airport, parking by the hanger.

"I've done some digging, Tammy, the original engine number has been ground off and that's a new plate. Fortunately there's another number underneath that hadn't been touched. The engine goes down to a stolen plane, a very similar design to the Sonaca aircraft shown on their website."

"So a fake and stolen!"

"Yes."

"Well, let's check it anyway."

"Be quick, we need to inform the authorities."

Tammy ran her bug detector through the plane, finding a small GPS beacon under one of the floor panels.

"As it's operational, my guess is that it was fitted just before we took delivery?"

"I agree, Tammy. The plane was reported stolen in the Netherlands in January and obviously had some cosmetic work done. I guess the price was too attractive."

"Well, it looks like I need a new plane, what can we do about this one?"

"I'll inform the CAA and your insurer. Did you leave that beacon in place?"

"Yes."

"You'd best inform your friends too."

Tammy wasn't certain what he had meant by the last comment but she felt obliged to make a call. Sat in her car she docked her phone then pressed the emergency button.

"Security Unit."

"Hello, this is Tammy Smart, could you ask John Smith to call my office in an hour"

"Certainly, Miss Smart, I take it that this can't wait until Monday?"

"Given that a fan is spinning, and there's potentially cow pats in the air, no."

"Understood."

She closed the call and, as a precaution, switched off that phone. Her new secure phone was also in her bag so she switched it on and called Marcus.

"Tammy, dear, what's up?"

"I haven't said there's an issue, not yet?"

"But you never call to make small-talk and, right now, I can detect tension in your voice?"

"Indeed, looks like my plane is stolen, then refurbished and re-badged to make it look new."

"I see, are all the usual authorities being informed?"

"Yes, playing this one by the book."

"Good, who actually owns it?"

"Smart Aviation, they bought it for me and were due to transfer it to me once I had my paper licence."

"So it's not in your name yet?"

"No, the registration is still with the company and would have been transferred to me next week probably."

"Good, that takes your name out of the equation, mostly that is. Who sold it to you?"

Tammy gave him the name of the broker in Belgium.

"Leave that with me, I'll make some enquiries."

"Thanks, Marcus."

Tammy walked back into the hanger and Jim's face was rather grey.

"These power drops, Tammy, it looks like they were designed to happen."

"Oh."

"There's also a connection from the GPS beacon to the engine management unit, that needs checking."

"Okay, don't touch any more, I need to get to my office. Make sure the hanger is locked up tight and expect visitors tomorrow."

"Understood."

Tammy drove to her office and settled into the secure room with a coffee, it wasn't long before the phone rang.

"What's the emergency, Miss Smart?"

"Sorry John, it seems my aircraft is stolen and may have been modified in a way that would endanger my life." She explained what they'd discovered.

"I see, I'll speak to the Met Police and we'll get an aviation investigator up to you, where is the plane?"

"In our hanger at Wick Airport."

"Who has access?"

"Apart from myself, Jim Surtees the fleet manager, the pilots and the fitters. My father does too, as Chairman of the company."

"Do you trust them?"

"Definitely, most have been with the company for ten years, the newest fitter has been there for five years."

"Okay, leave it with me and you were right to call."

"Cheers, John."

Before she left the office, Tammy called her father and brought him up to date.

"They were out to kill you! I'm going over there!"

"No, Dad, we're handling it. Jim knows what he's doing and I have other agencies involved. Best keep a low profile for now."

"I didn't think you had anything to do with them now?"

"I still have contacts and this may relate to something I've done."

"Seriously, Tammy, what did you become involved in?"

"Look, now is not the time to go over the past few years, but you know much of it anyway. I need to get back to the airport, before anyone turns up and upsets Jim."

Tammy locked up and jumped back in her car for the run back to Wick, stopping at Tesco for some sandwiches and fresh milk.

"I guess we're not going home for lunch?"

"No Jim, let's sit and wait for everyone to get to work."

It was an hour before the first police car arrived and a young PC entered the hanger firstly ignored Tammy, then asked Jim if he was in charge?

"I suggest you ask Miss Smart who owns Smart Aviation."

"Ah, sorry, Miss. I'm not entirely certain why I was asked to guard an aircraft?"

"Where did the order come from?"

"From Ops, beyond that I don't know."

"Well, draw up a chair, I think it's time to put the kettle back on."

An hour later Jim took a call from the Civil Aviation Authority investigation unit and briefed them with what he knew.

"What did the CAA say, Jim?"

"That the RAF have been asked to assist and they won't be coming here themselves."

"Did they say any more?"

"No, most unusual."

"Indeed."

At three there was a call from the tower to say a military aircraft was inbound. Ten minutes later a Hercules touched down and taxied to the Smart Hanger.

"Miss Smart?"

"Yes."

"I'm Squadron Leader Harry Palmer, pleased to meet you."

"Right, what's your plan?"

"We are removing your aircraft to Farnborough for examination, but it's a short hop back to Lossiemouth tonight though."

"I see."

"I have a small team with me but I'd appreciate if your fitters could assist to expedite matters. We need to get it inside the C130 and I'd like to be airborne by 1700."

"Sure!"

Jim took Tammy aside. "Who ordered the military?"

"My friends, probably, my guess is that they're treating this as an attempted assassination."

"What I don't understand is why you didn't have any problems before today?"

"It was the first time I took the plane North towards Shetland, beyond that I don't know."

"Oh."

"Now, Jim, do you think you could find me a plane? I need something that will take me to London on a single tank?"

"New?"

"One or two years old with a verifiable history?"

"A two seater?"

"Yes."

"Leave it with me."

It took until nearly five for the fitter and the RAF team to take the wings off the plane then wheel it into the fuselage of the Hercules, aided by a tug.

Tammy signed over the aircraft and waited until the RAF plane had lifted into the darkening sky before making her own departure. She was almost home when her secure phone rang, Tammy pulled off the road.

"Hello?"

"It's Marcus, I have some information for you."

"Okay."

"The Belgian company had a large injection of cash in January and took on a consultant, one Penny Lane."

"Damn, Penny Lavoska!"

"The same."

"Thing is, how did she know I'd need a plane?"

"I can't answer that for you."

"But I think I have an idea. Thanks for the update Marcus, my plane's gone to RAF Farnborough."

"To be pulled apart, no doubt!"

"The wings are already off."

"Of course. Be careful Tammy, Miss Lavoska will likely have a back-up plan and has almost certainly moved on."

 
Sunday 9th April 2017
 

"What are you planning today?"

"Not much, James, and when did you get back?"

"Yesterday teatime, Tammy. Did you miss me?"

"I've been a bit busy."

"I thought you'd have been enjoying yourself?"

"I have a business to run!"

"How about lunch?"

"Sure, where?"

"Italian?"

"Okay, I'll pick you up at one."

"I can walk, I'm in my office."

"On a Sunday?"

"I didn't get much done yesterday but I'm only planning on being here until lunchtime."

"Okay, Tammy, I'll see you at one."

She put her phone down and connected it to the charger, she might need it later. James' call had been a bit of distraction as she had that day's Sunday Standard newspaper open, and Tammy didn't know what to do. A very small article queried what a Hercules had been doing at Wick Airport and was offering money for information. Although she knew she had shares in a newspaper group, this particular paper wasn't one she could put pressure on. The office secure phone broke interrupted her thoughts.

"Hello?"

"Miss Smart, it's John Smith."

"Oh, hi."

"Our press team have picked up on a story in one of the Sunday papers."

"I have a copy of it in front of me."

"Well, the paper's website has further information, someone took video of your operation yesterday and you are very recognisable."

"Bugger! There wasn't a sole near the hanger apart from my team and the RAF guys, plus the copper."

"Did you get the officer's number?"

"No, but my car was next to the hanger so my dashcam should have some images."

"Can you get those to me, as a matter of urgency?"

"I'll try, but Yasmin didn't show me how to download from the device."

"I'm sure you'll work it out, bye Tammy."

"Err, bye."

It was easier than Tammy had imagined and she returned to the office a few minutes later with the SD card. A short while later she had isolated the relevant frames and sent these to John Smith.

She had an anxious wait whilst the laptop had transferred the files, meanwhile the clock was edging past midday. She put the kettle on for a cup of tea and was about to pour the water when the phone rang.

"Hello?"

"It's John, I've gone through the first few images and it looks like the officer shot the video."

"Damn, who can we trust these days?"

"I doubt he was given a suitable briefing but I've sent a message to Police Scotland as, regardless of his excuse, it looks like a case of gross misconduct."

"Can we get the story taken down?"

"That's a bit more difficult, we'll see if the local Police can handle it."

"In the meantime, I'll be named."

"Probably."

"Great. I'm told that the Sunday Standard has a reputation for dishing the dirt and sorting it out in court later."

"That's one of the risks when you have a free press."

"Thanks John, very reassuring." Tammy could hear a mobile ringing. "Sorry, got another call."

Tammy grabbed her personal mobile phone. "Yes, Dad?"

"The press have turned up here, a female reporter."

"Already?"

"You knew?"

"It looks like a copper sold some video to the Standard yesterday and my face was in it."

"Damn, where are you?"

"In the office. What have you said to the reporter?"

"I've sent her away, don't be surprised if your office is their next call."

"Okay, Dad."

She kept an eye on the door entry camera but was still caught off guard when the door buzzer sounded. A glance told her it was James, she pushed the external door release but closed the secure room door before he reached the top of the stairs.

"Have you checked Facebook?"

"Not since breakfast time."

"What's all this about your plane?"

"My plane, James?"

"Yes, Tammy, don't play games with me." He showed her a photo of herself looking on as the fuselage of her plane was being loaded.

"I had a problem with it."

"And called the RAF?"

"Actually no, but the CAA asked for their help."

"That's not the story I heard."

"Really?"

Tammy's secure mobile decided to ring. "Yes, Marcus?"

"I've dug a little deeper, It's a bit of a mess Tammy!"

"No kidding! I'm stuck for ideas, Marcus."

"We'll see what we can do from here."

"Okay, thanks."

She hit the button to end the call.

"Marcus? Who's he?"

"A friend, James, a professional friend."

The office phone rang next.

"Smart Properties."

"Is that Miss Tamara Smart?"

"Speaking."

"This is Abi from the Sunday Standard, I'd like to ask you a few questions about your plane."

"No comment!"

Tammy hung up.

"Damn, James, now they know I'm here."

"I'm sorry Tammy, but if they're on their way then I have no wish to be seen in a newspaper. Call me when, or if, you get your life back in order."

He left without giving her a kiss, her lunch date cancelled. Worst than that, she had run out of biscuits and it looked like she might be staying in the office longer than planned when the buzzer sounded.

The doorcam showed a girl in her early twenties, a large satchel was hanging from her shoulder. The buzzer sounded again, Tammy relented and answered it.

"Smart Properties, can I help you."

"Miss Smart, I'd like to ask you some questions."

"And I'm not answering anything until I'm told I can."

"Who by?"

"No, Abi, no further comment."

"We pay for stories."

"I'm afraid there isn't a story here, goodbye!"

She put the handset back in the cradle and ignored the buzzer, followed by the office phone. Her personal mobile could just be heard above the cacophony.

"Yes Jim?"

"The press turned up at the airport gate, security wouldn't let them in."

"Okay, I just had a reporter here."

"Oh? The Police turned up just after the reporter and they want to speak to everyone about yesterday afternoon."

"When?"

"As soon as possible, including you."

"Great!"

"Don't shoot the messenger, Tammy!"

"Do you know who the Police officers are?"

"The older one says he knows you, he's in uniform, and there's a young one in a suit with him."

"Damn, another kiddie who thinks he knows the ruddy law!"

"Come on Tammy, give them a chance - not that I know why they're here?"

"Have you seen today's papers?"

"Only the Sunday Mail."

"Oh well, I'll grab some lunch on the way over."

Tammy locked up and set off in her car for Wick airport. She stopped at the Tesco store for food and was checking through the sandwich fridge when there was a noise behind her. She ignored it and took her lunch to a self-service checkout.

"I told you, it's her!"

Tammy continued to ignore the commotion that was starting and just managed to pay for her food when a store security guard arrived.

"I'm sorry Miss, but you're causing a disturbance."

"I haven't said a word to anyone."

"You have to leave."

Her food was in her arms. "Have you paid for that?"

"Yes, I bloody well have."

A small crowd was now observing her and Tammy sensed this wasn't going to end well.

"Will you excuse me, I have an appointment to keep."

"I'd like to see your receipt for these items."

"It's in my purse!"

"If you would come to the manager's office?"

"I'd like to leave the store."

"If you do that, we'll have to call the police."

"For what? I haven't done anything."

"Then I'm sure someone who owns a plane should be able to afford a sandwich?"

"Get me the manager!"

up
442 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Welcome Back!

Welcome Back and it's good to see that Tammy hasn't lost any of her magnetism for trouble.

Welcome back!

I hope this presages even more adventures of Tamara.

Red MacDonald

Tammy

Robyn B's picture

Oh Shiraz, it's been a while.

Good to see that we, the readers, will be left hanging waiting for your next instalment of this great story.

I'll leave it to other readers to discuss the what if's and the why for's. I'll just say, "Don't leave it so long before the next drink..."

Robyn B
Sydney

Withdrawal Pains Averted

joannebarbarella's picture

My fingers had just about slipped off the edge of the cliff when this very welcome chapter arrived and topped up my Tammy Troubles syndrome.

Those out to get her will go to extreme lengths and spare no expense in the pursuit...and then to be assisted by venal idiots in the police and press! Will the poor girl find no peace?

I hope not, or you'll have nothing to write about. The cliff-hanger this time seems to be only a grassy slope.

Good to have you and Tammy back.

"Cry Havoc and Unleash the Dogs of Law!"

Tammy and Daddy Dearest will now sic Smith, Smith and Smith upon the store and its employees ...

BTW - can the Policeman be persecuted? Booted from Polis Scotland and forced to find a new job with a Law Enforcement Agency in New Zealand or the Falklands?

They wouldn't take him...

They wouldn't take him...

what he did violated multiple rules, regulations, and laws. That's if he was a cop to begin with!

I'm told STFU more times in a day than most people get told in a lifetime

That was a bit strange

I mean the bit in the store. Perhaps the guard is wound a bit tight?

Welcome back.

Gwen

Sounds To Me...

...as though the "have you paid for that" question by the guard would be more aptly directed toward him -- sure seems as though he's been paid off by someone.

Eric

Its the press

I am sure that the newspaper is behind this. Maybe Tammy should have a quite word in the guards ear about him losing his job and a woman who owns an airline has enough money to ensure it happens.

2 + 2 = ?

The security guard seems to want to make a scene (after accusing Tammy of creating a disturbance), a suspicious mind might think he'd received a financial inducement from a certain young reporter. The fact that he states that she owns a plane would add credence to this as Abi is the only one who has made the link - the paper would not be offering money for information if it was already in the public domain.

The questions are...
Were the guard and 'Abi' stupid enough to do a deal in front of CCTV cameras?
Was 'Abi' the one to call out "I told you, it's her!"?
Is 'Abi' really a reporter? and if so, why no second name?
What links Penny Lane, 'Abi' and the policeman? Let's face it, 'Abi' doesn't come over as an investigative reporter who will spend a long time researching a story. Also, outside of the family/business, Penny would have been the only person (that we know of) to link the plane to Tammy.

It would seem that the cowpats are gravitating towards the turbo-props

Glad to see Tammy is back and

Glad to see Tammy is back and apparently nothing has changed in her life; drawing problems to herself without even trying.

Power failure

WillowD's picture

I actually read this three days ago. But before I could comment a tornado took out one of the two transformer stations that provide power to Ottawa, Canada. I got power back a day ago, then found out I didn't have internet. It's been a "fun" time.

But what I would have said on Friday was... Yay! Tammy's back.

Re: Power failure

Sorry to hear that you went through all of that! *sending lots of huggles* Glad to see you're still with us!

Butt in a wringer

Jamie Lee's picture

Anyone involved in law enforcement should know they never film any military plane without explicit permission. That officer may have felt it was a perfect opportunity to get a picture but that wasn't why he was sent in the first place. Guard means to secure and that includes no pictures. Because of the mess he caused by selling his pictures, his law enforcement career is over in that country, or elsewhere. He too much of a security risk.

The real question is why the sudden interest in a C-130 landing in Wick? Is Penny behind all the interest? Or is it because these type planes seldom visit the Wick airport?

Miss nosy doesn't know the can of worms she stepped into, and might have some visitors of her own make it very clear it would be in her best interest to forget about the story she's working on. She may claim she has a right to pursue the story, but her visitors could trump her rights with the National security card and a stint in prison.

Someone's head is going to roll because of Tammy getting stopped in the store. When she produces the receipt that security man will want to find a hole to crawl into. And as most stores have security cameras, Tammy shown paying for the items will be further ammo for her to deal with that store in court if she chooses. On the other hand, if that reporter has set this up she may want to join that guard and leave the country.

Others have feelings too.

The troubles continue...

What with dodgy brokers linked to the terrorists intent on assassinating Tammy, a policeman taking unauthorised photos instead of doing his job, a newspaper intent on uncovering the mystery of her plane being loaded onto a Hercules, and now chaos in a Tesco...


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!