Footprints in the Sea Vol.5 Chap 94

Printer-friendly version

Chapter 94

Copyright Frances Penwiddy 2018

To our surprise, David was in Orca’s doctor’s surgery along with the radiographer. “Hullo everybody, it’s so nice to meet you all again,” I greeted them.

“I want to hear you say that after our meeting,” said Hugh Gillespie, Orca’s doctor. “I’m not going to break the news, I’m scared so I’ll leave it to David.”

“In short, the three of you are grounded,” began my ex friend David, “And I do mean grounded and that includes you,” he looked at me and I was tempted to scream for Gwyneth. “Can’t we talk about it?” I asked foolishly because I gave him the weapon he needed, for negotiating with a female and he was an expert. As a retired GP and the husband of Gwyneth he had had a lifetime to learn how to negotiate with women of all ages. “Of course we can negotiate, in fact I intend to after each medical. I am your GP and your health and happiness are my prime concern. I have spoken to Duncan Chesham and Randolph Sinclair in your case and they have said they will back any decision I make. I have also spoken with Andy Bryant and Harry Fellows and to the Navy doctors and they have sent me the necessary files for you,” he looked at Byron, “And I am already your GP whilst on the island,” that was for Faye. “You are all excused physical duties if, in my opinion, such duties will either cause further damage or slow the healing process and just to make sure, I have spoken to the Prime Minister of Charlotte Island, that’s your husband, Charlotte and he has said that for as long as you are on the island or within its territorial limits or on board any vessel or aircraft owned or being used by the island, your rights to a second opinion are restricted to doctors already serving or stationed on the island.”

“That contravenes Human Rights laws and the British and New Zealand constitutions.”

“If you think it does, then you can appeal to the necessary Supreme Courts, EU courts and the International Human Rights Court at the Hague which will probably take about three years. There is the UN of course but even they will want about the same amount of time. If you do decide to follow that route you will of course have to continue under my care until the courts reach their decision and as I’ve already pointed out, you risk a three year suspension of duties rather than the few days I had originally intended.”

I opened my mouth to mention my other alternatives but a look from Byron shut me up so Magna Carta or a unilateral declaration of independence would have to wait.

“Now we have that settled I’ll deal with the reasons: Charlotte you have quite severe bruising to fat and muscle tissue below and including your left breast. This is healing and I will have another look in four days’ time. Faye, you have a bullet hole in you, again muscle and tissue damage and you lost nearly half your blood. I will check you again in a week. Byron you not only have a hole, lost blood and incurred muscle and tissue damage but your right lung was slightly damaged. Everything is healing nicely but it will take at least two more weeks before I can release you for a period of light duties only. I am however prepared to release you into the custody of Will and Charlotte’s Aunt Kate tomorrow on the understanding that you are confined to the house. The alternative is for you to remain here confined to your bed for at least another week. Before you argue; this decision was worked out with the help of Harry Fellows and Andy Bryant and I am instructed to inform you that the transfer is not leave of absence; you are still subject to naval law and discipline and I remind you that Will is also on the navy list as a Commander so you will not be able to circumvent my orders via Kate or Charlotte. Now, if there are appeals against my decisions, you have forty eight hours to register them . In the meantime I am clearing everybody to go to the celebration this evening on the understanding that both Faye and Byron remain in their wheelchairs and Charlotte restricts her dancing to waltzes and slow foxtrots. Byron and Faye you will return here tonight by midnight and Charlotte you are to return to your room in the guests hotel with Will at the same time. Enjoy your evening and drink in moderation.”

I got up with the intention of grabbing Faye’s wheelchair and pushing it down to a quiet spot on the deck so we could plot our escape and counter measures but whether it was concern for my safety or a deliberate attempt to stop a mutiny before it started Brutus beat me to it. “You mustn’t strain yourself, remember and Doc David is watching,” he was grinning as he took hold of the wheelchair, “If you wait here, I’ll come back after I’ve seen Faye to her room and we can use the wheelchair to take you to your place in the hostel.”

I just glared at him, “At least you can’t come to the party, nobody has invited you.”

“That’s so but I am employed by the navy and as such I am allowed into the social club any time it’s open and as the party is being held during club opening hours, I’ll see you later.”

“Is it okay if I carry a tray with five pints and four shorts on it?” I asked Brutus after we arrived at the club.

He lifted the tray and replaced it on the bar and shook his head, “No it’s too heavy.”

I didn’t say anything and took three of the pints off, “What about now?”

He repeated the performance and nodded, “That’s okay and I’ll bring the others.”

“No you won’t my bloody husband or Doctor Death can get them and one is for you.” I carried the tray to our table and made a thing of placing a pint in front of Walter Pemberton and Faye’s fiancé Howard and then the shorts in front of Mary, Faye and Cassandra. The remaining short I put at the girl end of the table and pushed the empty tray in front of Will. “Yours are still on the bar, Brutus is up there and wouldn’t let me bring them because he thought the tray was too heavy,” and I sat down, “It’s for medical reasons,” I added and took a sip of my V&T.

Faye and Mary giggled and Gwyneth grinned, “I hope you didn’t get David a pint. Technically with you three at the table he’s still on duty.”

“What about me, I’m one of the sick, not a conspirator,” complained Byron.

“Will can get yours, he’s a Commander in the navy and he’s obliged to look after sick and wounded personnel.”

“So are you.”

“Light duties, very light but I expect I can take a chance and fetch yours,” I started to get up but Will rose and then sat down again, “Brutus is fetching them over.”

“And I’m not on duty, this is a navy club and it’s on Gillespie’s patch,” said David with a grin.

“When are the others getting here?” I asked Gwyneth.

About a half hour. I spoke to the man managing the club and he’s brought extra tables up and is going to lay on snacks later and the band is coming again and they should be here in an hour. So we’re all set for partying.”

“I can’t do any jiving. I suppose I could risk a rhumba if David isn’t watching but even without him, that bruise won’t be slow to remind me of the damage if I start lifting my arms for spins and stuff.”

“Four or five days and it will heal completely, you’re young and healthy so stop complaining,” David admonished.

People started drifting in and I spotted Leah and Giles and waved them over. When they were settled on a nearby table, I went over for a chat and told them about the committee that the girls were forming and brought up the need for them to get together with people who were planning any similar ventures to their farm or any form of food production and processing to follow their example. “Keep the committees small and bureaucracy to a minimum and it will be efficient and we can make sure people don’t clash with each other. It’s not until after Easter anyway and the object is to make life and our work easier, not find jobs for the boys. Every month or so each committee can send a couple of representatives to a meeting, a sort of cabinet meeting I suppose, where we can all learn what everybody is doing or planning and help smooth the paths. If we do it at this early stage it will stop us from undertaking tasks that have to be stopped or changed in the future. I know it’s more complicated than that but that’s the aim.”

“We couldn’t do much ourselves until the planting season is over,” pointed out Giles.

“That’s where we can help each other. Not only can we arrange the larger tasks so they don’t clash too much, we can also ensure there is enough labour and machinery available for whichever jobs need them.”

Leah nodded, “I can see the sense of it and perhaps we should read up on some of the ways things were done in medieval Europe before central governments became involved.”

“I think a lot of it was local villages using the neighbourly help system, and basically that’s what we are and are likely to remain, a large village. We must see how some of the other South Pacific islanders arrange things. If there’s anything else you are likely to need until the committee is up and running, continue as you are and speak to me or Will.”

“We’ve spoken to Larry and he’s arranged for some cattle to be got ready for us so after Christmas, we’ll need to arrange a way of shipping them here,” said Giles, changing the subject.

“I’ll get Penny or somebody in New Zealand to sort it out but I still think we can arrange for Pacific Wanderer or the other ship we’ve captured to fetch them for us and that will only need you to arrange driving them up to you farm from wherever they are landed. I’ll have another chat later, I want to have a word with one or two other people before the band arrives and we start partying for real. Are you staying here tonight or going home?”

“Home, they’ve arranged a couple of busses to take people back to the north side. There’s a few coming from Aurora and Wanderer any minute now so they’ll need transport to take them back.”

I went back to my table and there was another glass standing beside my V&T and no men, they had vanished and taken Byron with them, “What’s happened?”

“Usual thing. The crowd from the Sunderland have turned up and there’s a dart’s war just beginning. David asked me to tell you that as he was joining them, you are in charge of the sick and to ensure that everybody drinks in moderation,” answered Gwyneth.

“So who bought the second drink for me, I’ve barely touched the first?”

“That was David and it’s a spritzer, he said no more V&Ts.”

“I thought he was off duty when in here. He has no right to act as my physician on another doctor’s patch.”

“I think he promoted himself to consultant working in a private capacity in your case, you shouldn’t have provoked him earlier.”

“Home is the sailor, Home from the sea,” I quoted changing the subject as Anne and Rob entered the club. I stood and waved with my good arm, “Over here, Anne,” and went to meet them. “All our men have gone over to the darts board, if you join us I’ll get you a drink and Rob can go over to the men. Will is there, Rob and he’ll introduce you to people you don’t know and you can play darts with them.”

“I’ll get us a drink first.”

“I’ll do it. A pint? What about you Anne.”

“White wine, please.”

I took them to our table, I think you know most people here but I’ll leave Emma to introduce you to the rest,” and I went to the bar. Brutus was there and waited until I ordered and said, “I’ll fetch them over for you and I believe that young lady is trying to attract your attention,” he nodded back at the entrance.

I looked and spotted Undine and Tamati, “Blast, I’ll have to find out what they’re drinking now.”

“I don’t know what the lady will ask for but I vaguely remember the bloke with her and I think he drinks lager.”

“That’ll do for now and a white wine and lemonade for the girl, she doesn’t drink often. Put them on my tab will you please and don’t forget one for yourself.”

I went back to the entrance, “Tamati, I hope you haven’t bunked off duty because Byron is here.”

“No, no, I’m off, it’s okay.”

“Good. I’ve ordered a pint of lager is that okay?”

“Fine thank you, is Undine allowed to drink in here?”

“Why not, she’s over eighteen by a few thousand years. There’s a crowd of us so come over and say hullo and then you can join the men at darts or if you want to chat on your own, claim a table somewhere."

We went back and once again settled but we had to drag another table a bit closer because even with the men away playing darts, we were getting crowded. I squeezed in with Gwyneth and Auntie Kate, “You okay I asked, I’ve been dashing about trying to have a chat with people I haven’t seen for a while.”

“Dashing about?” asked Gwyneth, “That’s not like you. How’s the wound?”

I grinned and rubbed the place where the powder compact had shot me, “It’s okay, just a slight twinge when I forget and try to do something I shouldn’t. Brutus is watching me all the time and won’t let me carry drinks so I am taking it easy.”

“Try sitting down for more than a minute at a time,” advised Auntie Kate.

“That’s what I’m doing now and I’m not being tricked into playing darts. Why didn’t Uncle Ted come with you?”

“He said it was the first time the house has been empty for weeks and he’s been doing a bit of gardening and Val, your diamond friend came over with a couple of his shipmates to help. The last I saw of them, they were sitting on the lawn surrounded by garden tools and drinking cans of beer. I asked him if he was coming over here and he said ‘no’, there was too much to do at the house. “I expect they’re still sitting on the grass drinking beer and planning everything.”

“How about the help for the house. Have you found anybody yet?”

“Never you mind about that, I have somebody in mind and I’ll sort it out when we go to England at Christmas.”

“Okay, I’ll leave it to you.”

“What about you Gwyneth. Are you finding yourself under pressure?”

“Why should I be under pressure. I help David and Katie, that’s hardly pressure unless you’re involved, then it gets frantic.”

“I can’t help that, I don’t exactly plan my disasters you know.”

“It’s not the disaster, it’s the aftermath that’s the problem.”

I smiled, “It’s true I suppose and that’s what I’m trying to sort out this evening. I’m getting various groups together to form committees to sort out the various things that need doing. I’ve already got one for the environment and exploration and Leah and Giles are going to organise the farming and food, what about the one you and Auntie Kate were going to do.”

“Employment you mean?”

“Yes and finding staff here, New Zealand and England, you know the sort of people we need.”

“Feelers have been sent out already and it’s looking very hopeful. We’ll know when we get back to England. At the moment, when I get a chance I’m asking people already here what sort of help they need.”

“If you get the time, can you let me have a synopsis of what and who you’ve dealt with so I don’t duplicate your efforts and I’ll do the same for you.”
“Okay but you have to slow down, don’t forget that. It isn’t just the recent damage to your ribs; you’ve had other symptoms that you are doing too much and are choosing to ignore the warnings.”

“That’s why I’m putting the committees together. I am hoping to give myself more time, more space. The trouble is I’m enjoying myself, meeting people, discovering things, learning so much and being able to plan for the future by planning for the island.”

“You could try planning a holiday,” said Auntie Kate.

“I am, well Penny is, we’re going back to England for a couple of months.”

“Three at least,” Auntie Kate corrected me. Whilst you’re waiting you should take a few days off from everything. Unplug the telephones, switch your mobiles off and spend the time in bed.”

“I can’t because Will would feel obliged to look after me and I can’t keep him away from his work as well. He loves me and would spend the whole time in the bedroom nursing me. In fact he would want to spend the whole time in bed with me and do everything he could to help me regain my vitality.”

“You just be quiet about that sort of thing, there’s people here that can hear you.”

“Well I can’t let them get into bed with us because there wouldn’t be anybody to bring me food and drink…er I mean drinks.” I polished off the first wine spritzer and started on the V&T when I spotted the waiter coming to our table with a laden tray. “I’ll stay a bit then I must go and see some of the others and I might have a go on the darts, it’s a pity I didn’t bring my red shoes, the ones with the sky high heels.” I glanced around the club, “There’s quite a crowd in here tonight.”

“The word reached the other side and quite a few came over from there, even Gareth and Mark have skived off. The ships only need an anchor watch so that helps.”

I picked up my drink, “I must go over and say hullo to Mark and Gareth, won’t be long.” I eased my way through the tables and groups of people stopping from time to time to have a few words with people I knew and fifteen minutes later reached the table where Mark and Gareth had set up camp. “How did you two escape, there can’t be many people left on the north side?” They started to get up but I shook my head and sat down myself, “Byron’s over with the darts players, Martin and Tamati are here, so is Will whose taking care of our fleet?”

“Andy Bryant was going to send Lieutenant Venables over to Wanderer but Victor and the Chief Engineer are acting as OODs between them. Ferret arrived earlier as well, so there’s plenty of people still working.”

“We went ashore to see how the Pub and club are progressing and had a chat with Geoff Roman and he reckons that it will be ready for the internal fittings and furniture soon after Christmas. The shop and boutique as well.”

“You still serious about taking on the pub when you leave the navy.”

“Yes, very serious that’s why we went over today to speak to Geoff. Gareth gets out at the end of May and I follow in July and then it’s Victor’s turn.”

“I didn’t know Victor was retiring?”

“He only made up his mind in the last few days. He hasn’t any ties, lives on his own in New Zealand and said he liked the island which for him means the people who are settling here. He had a chat with us and as there wasn’t anybody in the frame to look after the social centre he was thinking of maybe taking that on and possibly helping us as well with the pub. That solves one of our problems because once we get it up and running, the pub should be quite busy and the social centre will also have a good chance of becoming popular.”

“I seem to be attracting a load of people from the ships, I hope it isn’t going to upset the navy.”

“It shouldn’t do because it solves a problem for them as well. They have an overworked department that deals with settling retiring seamen, they might even be able to send you a few more,” Mark was grinning now, “If Victor makes up his mind and decides to have a word with you, you’ll have to find him a wife.”

“And a couple of barmaids and waitresses,” added Gareth.

He said it as a joke but there was a serious request behind it, we were short of females and apart from these two requests, Auntie Kate needed help, Penny needed an assistant and as we grew, we were going to need a lot more women working in the administrative side as well as nurses, schoolteachers and the thousands of jobs women do within any society. I had people in England I knew would be interested but what was really needed was somebody who could come up with ideas to attract more single women who would possibly consider settling here on a permanent basis. “Have a word with the Doctor’s wife, Gwyneth, she’s working with my Auntie Kate and they are trying to form an employment agency to attract permanent staff to the island. Give her details of your needs and your ideas as well. It doesn’t just concern you and the pub, we do need more women living here, particularly unattached women. See if you can get them to find a glamorous granny for Victor.”
They laughed and Mark started to get up, “I’ll get you a drink, what is it a V&T?”

“No leave it, I have to stick to white wine now and there are other people I need to speak to. When you get back to Wanderer, tell Victor there’s a ship with loads of food and ships stores in Revelation Bay and get here quickly because Auntie Kate will pick it clean.”

The end of this sample. All seems quiet on the island at present but out of everybodies sight a dangerous sittuation is developig and it could place everybody in serious danger...

If you wish to find out what...the full version of Volume five is now available on Amazon Ebooks. Use the link in the right hand column because Big Closet gets a small commision when ordered through that link.

[email protected]

up
39 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos