Interview with a Lolita -chp2

Printer-friendly version

Interview with a Lolita

Debra Wallen had expected her day to be filled with the usual drudgery of an Interns life for Fashion Blitz magazine. She never expected to be interviewing one of the world’s newest and biggest fashion designers this day. Not only was the woman a force to be reckoned with but a true mystery as well. Debra would be the first person to ever had a one on one interview with Ren Nagata. This was Debra’s big chance and she really wanted to impress her boss by coming back with an interview worthy of her trust. Little could Debra see how this one interview would affect her life or how it would influence her career.


Chapter 2
Raymond meets his aunt Yoshi Nagata
Fort Knox, Kentucky, September 2004
Raymond and Captain Hill had spent that past two days cleaning and packing up his family’s possessions at their Base Housing residents. For Raymond it was a mild form of therapy. He found three photo-albums he had never seen before on the first day he took all of them with him back to the barracks. That night he sat in his room looking through the three albums. The first one had pictures of his dad as a young Specialist in Okinawa, Japan. For the first half of the book it was just shots of him and his buddies doing the whole tourist bit. It was in the second half of the book that Raymond found the first pictures of his mother.

For the next fifteen pages the pictures only had his mother in them. They were taken all over Okinawa, Japan. In the last five pages there was a young girl with her mother that Raymond had never seen before. The girl had to be in her mid-teens say around fourteen or fifteen. She looked like a teenage version of his mother. With one big exception, well two. One the girl’s hair was dyed purple and she was dressed in an outlandish over-the-top feminine style. Raymond found himself hoping to see more pictures of the teenager. At the end of the first album there was an eight by twelve picture of his mother and the teen dressed in a similar fashion. Across the bottom was a typed message that read ‘The Nagata Lolita Sisters’.

Raymond now had a name for the style that his mother and aunt were wearing in the picture. A style that had enchanted him at first sight. Running his hand over the picture as a tear ran down his cheek. It was long before the tears were running freely and for the second time since his parents’ deaths. Raymond mourned their passing that night. It took the young boy the better part of an hour to regain his composure. Closing the album Raymond looked at his watch and saw that it was dinner time. Setting the first album on the room’s desk the boy headed out for dinner.

As Raymond walked to CONONE the memory of his mother and aunt dressed as Lolitas haunted him. He tried to push the thought of dressing in such a feminine manner out of his head. He knew that his secret was safe for now. He had made sure of that earlier when packing up his room at the house. The footlocker that held his secret stash of clothes for ‘Rain’ his girl-self was locked and on the bottom of the pile in the garage that held his mother’s clothes. Raymond thought about how close he had come to being busted by Captain Hill.

As he ate his dinner his mind was not on the conversation going on around him. The truth was, he couldn’t get that picture of his mother out of his head. She and his aunt were so feminine in that picture. He wondered if his aunt still dressed that way. “Most likely not. She’s probably grown up and started dressing like mom.”

“What was that Raymond?” Specialist Lisa Mitchel asked him.

“Oh, nothing, Specialist Mitchel. Just talking to myself.” Raymond thought his lie would hold up to closer inspection.

“What about? You haven’t been yourself tonight. What’s on your mind kiddo?” Asked Specialist Terry Brown. Brown was Mitchel’s patrol partner. The two MPs were a real Mutt and Jeff team-up. Terry stood over six-foot tall and weighed around one-ninety. Lisa on the other hand barely made the height requirement for females to be MPs.

Raymond sighed but thought fast. “Captain Hill found my mom’s family two days ago. And, well, someone is flying in to take custody of me. I just don’t know what to expect. I mean they’re from Japan like my mom was, but well I haven’t been there since I was like three years old. Dad’s last duty assignment was in Italy.”

“Do you speak Japanese Raymond?” Asked Lisa as she placed her hand on Raymond’s shoulder. Raymond nodded his head yes and smiled. “Then just relax and be yourself.”

“Yah little guy. I don’t think I’ve heard a bad word about you in the past six weeks. Even that jerkoff Stone over with K-nine likes you.” Terry said trying to cheer Raymond. It worked to a point.

“Thanks guys. Though I’m going to take what you said about Stone with a huge grain of salt. That monkey-nut only likes his partner Thor.” Raymond’s referral to the big Belgian Shepard had the two MPs chuckling.

As Raymond was finishing his dinner the two MPs were called away on their radios. They wished him luck and Raymond told them to be safe. The radio call was a 135, or domestic disturbance in the port housing area. Raymond’s dad had always told him that domestic disturbance calls were always tricky. Doubly so on military bases where the chances of firearms being involved increase. Then there is the add fact that in every house on post, there is at least one trained killer.

Raymond finished his dinner alone and bussed his tray. Returning to his room in the barracks Raymond picked up the second album and started to look through it. He found himself looking at pictures of a young blond woman wearing a cheerleader outfit for a high school. It didn’t take Raymond long to figure out who the girl was. On the seventh page there was a picture her with Raymond’s dad. The girl had to be his father’s younger sister.

As Raymond flipped through the album he got a feel for the other aunt he had never met. He realized sadly that he most likely would never meet her. With her being in a long term healthcare center the chances were not good. Raymond knew that long term meant that his aunt had severe health issues. As much as he wanted to know his aunt, Raymond had to face hard truths that she may not live much longer. The last picture in the album showed his father’s sister sitting on a bright blue motorcycle.

Closing the album Raymond wiped away the tears and opened the last album. The first picture in the book let him know right away that this album was really special. This was his parents’ wedding album. For the next two hours Raymond just stared at each picture in the album. He could tell that the wedding was held in Okinawa. He didn’t know exactly where in Okinawa, but he knew it was there. His mom used to tell the story of their wedding once a year on their anniversary. There was one picture that gave Raymond the answer to where the wedding was held. It was taken in front of the Torii Station Nondenominational Church. As he looked through the album he got answers to long held questions.

His alarm clock going off at 0600 woke him from a dead sleep. Sitting up Raymond rubbed the sleep from his eyes and cracked his stiff back. He had fallen asleep looking at his parents’ wedding album. Closing the album Raymond grabbed his toiletries a change of clothes and ran down the hall to take a quick shower. Raymond chuckled to himself as he entered the men’s latrine and shower area. He remembered his dad calling it the three S’s: shit, shower, shave. Raymond waited patiently until the first sink came open. He didn’t need to shave like the other young men but did brush his teeth. He quickly moved onto the first shower to open. Raymond felt that he was accepted by these young men who wore the uniform of a US Soldier.

None of them gave Raymond a second thought as he joined them in taking care of his morning routine. They ALL knew that the boy was First Sergeant Rockwell’s only kid. That he had no where to go for now. Most of the male MPs had come to look on Raymond as if he was their little brother and treated him that way. More than a few of the female MPs felt the same way, much to Raymond embarrassment.

After taking care of his morning business and dressing in jeans, a long sleeve shirt, teens shoes, Raymond headed for CONONE. Even as he was sitting down with his breakfast Captain Hill was greeting a young woman at the MP Patrol Desk. Yoshi Nagata had arrived in Elizabethtown the night before. By all appearances Raymond’s aunt every bit the stylish Japanese business professional. Captain Hill found himself wondering what type of life lay ahead for his young charge.

“How may I help you ma’am?” The desk Sergeant asked the clearly civilian business woman in his Operations Center.

“Good morning, Sergeant. I am looking for a Captain Hill. I was told that I could contact him here.” Yoshi answered coldly. “He is supposed to be taking care of my nephew Raymond Rockwell.”

“I’ll take it from here Sergeant.” Hill said as he stepped up to Yoshi holding out his hand in greeting. “Captain Hill at your service Miss. Nagata.”

Yoshi looked down at his hand before reaching out to shake it. “Yoshi Nagata, Captain. Where is my nephew? I was expecting him to be with you, sir.”

Hill grimaced as he was not expecting such a cold greeting from the woman. “Raymond is currently having breakfast over at CONONE mess-hall, Miss. Nagata.”

“In that case, sir, why don’t we join him?” Yoshi knew that she just threw the man a bone. One that Captain Hill quickly picked up.

“If you’ll follow me, I’ll drive us over.” Hill led Yoshi outside to his POV and drove them over to CONONE. As the Captain and civilian left his AO the desk Sergeant looked over at his Radio Telephone Operator.

“Talk about your cold fish. Heckle, get a hold of your partner at CONONE. Let him know that Captain Hill is on the way with Raymond’s aunt. Have him warn everyone that she is an ice-cold bitch.”

“Sure thing, Sergeant. Only I’m leaving off the part about her being an ice-cold bitch.” Heckle looked over the desk at the station door. “That was just a very scared Japanese business woman out of her element.”

The desk Sergeant thought about what Heckle just told him and how they differed in their opinions. Maybe Heckle was right about Top Rockwell’s sister-in-law. Yet there was something about the young woman that bugged him. Then it hit him as he watched the replay of the video surveillance. He started to chuckle.

“Heckle, that was no business woman. You were right about her being scared and out of her element though.” The desk Sergeant just hit the live feed button.

Over at CONONE Captain Hill was parking in the reserved slots for Duty Officers. He had talked to Colonel McCloud about getting a duty car until he was able to hand off Raymond to his family. That had been the final hang up on trying to place Raymond with a foster family. When the local Child Services Agent who was working Raymond’s, case found out that he still had living family they quit trying to place him in a home. The bitch went so far as to say that the foster homes were for children without family. Captain Hill lost his temper with the woman and had to go before his Commanding Officer over his outburst.

Captain spotted Raymond at his usual table surrounded by his usual breakfast companions. There was one new MP with him, that had his own companion, that may cause problems for Yoshi. The new MP had a K-9 partner. “Miss. Nagata, please stay behind me until the K-nine officer has his partner on the leash.”

“I understand Captain. I have no wish to be bitten.” Yoshi was visibly scared of the German Shepard. She had good reason, as K-9 partners were known to react first at the sight of strangers approaching their handlers in a hostile manner. Yoshi noticed that the young boy, sitting with the MPs, showed no fear of the dog. “Is that my nephew sitting there, sir?”

“Yes ma’am. That’s your nephew Raymond.” Captain Hill answered with some pride. “He has made friends with most of the members of the five-six-six MP detachment. He became kind of like a little brother to most of them.”

“He has not been too much trouble for you, yes? He has been good boy?” Captain Hill could tell that the young woman was having a slight problem with English. “He has not brought dishonor to my sister and her husband memories?”

Captain Hill stopped and looked over at Yoshi. “Miss. Nagata, I can assure you that Raymond has been a credit to your family. He has handled the situation as a proud and honorable young man. At no time has he brought dishonor to your sister or her husband’s memories. If anything, he has tried to honor their memory by being on his best behavior. I wish that more young men acted as maturely as Raymond.”

“Thank you, Captain. I must admit that I know very little of my nephew. My family has not had much contact with my sister and her husband for the past few years.” Yoshi was doing her best to communicate her feelings and those of her family to the Army Captain. She wished she had paid more attention in her English classes in school. Instead of learning just enough to get a passing grade. “When may I take him home? Is there more that needs to be done for my sister and husband?”

“Almost everything has been taken care of as far as your sister and her husband are concerned, Miss. Nagata. There is only the final disposition of the remains to be taken care of. As for the household goods you have until the end of the week to make arrangements for shipment. Raymond and I have been packing things up and cleaning up the house getting it ready for Housing to come in and give the finale inspection.” As Captain Hill explained what needed to be done the MP with the K-9 got up and left bussing his trays as he did so. “I believe that we can head over now, Miss. Nagata. No offence but I did not want to push the boundaries for Sugar.”

“Excuse me, Captain. But why would you not want to use Sugar?” Yoshi asked in confusion. Only to have Hill chuckle. “Did I say something funny?”

“Miss. Nagata, Sugar is the name of the German Shepard that was with the MP.” Captain Hill’s explanation took a few seconds to sink in before Yoshi giggled. The idea of naming a police patrol dog Sugar hit her funny bone. It also struck at something deeper that she found very appealing. Her Lolita spirit. Hill chuckled as Yoshi giggled. “I see that you found the wicked side of humor in the name.”

Yoshi just nodded her head yes as she fought to regain control. “Is there Spice to go with Sugar, yes?”

The translation didn’t come out the way that Yoshi wanted but Hill got the reference. “No ma’am, but I’m sure that someone has thought about making the suggestion.” Looking over at the table he noticed that Raymond was by himself now. “It seems that your nephew has spotted us and asked his dinning companions for privacy.”

Hill couldn’t have been more right if he had tried. Raymond spotted the two of them as they entered the mess-hall. He had grown accustomed to watching for Captain Hill over the last few weeks. Normally he dreaded seeing the young Captain as it usually meant more paperwork for him to go over. Today though there was a very pretty Japanese young woman escorting him. Raymond never took his eyes of the young woman. There was something about her that set him on edge. Something wrong with the way she appeared and carried herself. When they got closer Raymond thought he was seeing a ghost. The ghost of his deceased mother. It took him a few seconds to realize that this woman was much, much younger than his mother and no ghost.

Standing up slowly Raymond never took his eyes off of Yoshi. Then bowing slowly as his mother had taught him Raymond greeted his aunt. “Aisatsu no obāsan, tsuini anata ni au no ga tanoshīdesu.”

Yoshi was caught off guard by the very formal way that Raymond greeted her. She had not expected him to know Japanese as he had been raised in American schools. Yoshi returned the boy’s bow with one of equal depth and duration. “Kon'nichiwa, reimondo watashi wa, kono yōna machijikan no sutansu no shita de awanakereba naranakatta koto o mōshiwakenaku omotte imasu.”

“Excuse Raymond, Miss. Nagata, for reasons of legality I must ask that while I am in your company to please use English only.” Captain Hill said as he placed his briefcase on the table. Then reaching over pulled out and held Yoshi’s chair.

Raymond wanted to pound the Captain for making such a monumental screw up in diplomacy. Thankfully his aunt just sighed and looked over at him. “No need for make the uncomfortable of the Captain Raymond.”

Raymond nodded that he understood exactly what his aunt was driving at. On more than one occasion he and his mother would drive the neighbors up the wall by holding conversations in Japanese. It was an inside joke between them for as long as he could remember. While his father taught Raymond German, his mother taught him Japanese. Both from a very young age.

“Excuse me Miss. Nagata, it is not that it makes me uncomfortable. The reasons is that until you have been give official custody of Raymond I need to be able to report that there has been no untoward forms of coercion. This is a purely legal stand point. One that is there for both your protection and Raymond’s.” Captain Hill had laid out a very plausible excuse, but it was still an excuse. “I hope that you’ll understand? I do not want anything to stand in the way of you taking custody.”

“Relax Captain Hill. If my aunt doesn’t want me, I’ll be fine. The insurance paid out finally and is in the bank account you, setup for me.” Raymond had figured that one way or the other he was finally done with living on post. With more than a million and a half in the bank he could take care of himself just fine.

“Raymond, show respect for Captain Hill. He has earned that from you and more. Do not disgrace our family.” Yoshi corrected him quickly. “As for me not wanting to take you home. You are wrong. Your grandparents cannot fly so they send me. You go home with me, as soon as all is done properly.”

“Yes, ma’am.” Raymond dropped his head. He knew that he was in the wrong. He did owe Captain Hill a lot for all he’s done. “I’m sorry for the attitude sir.”

“Raymond, you have nothing to apologize. You’ve put up with more political red tape than anyone should have to.” Captain Hill, gave Yoshi and Raymond a friendly smile as he opened his briefcase. Raymond groaned seeing him do this, as it usually meant the next hour was going to be spent with paperwork. “Relax kiddo. This is all good paperwork and it will only take fifteen minutes.”

“Um… Captain Hill the last time you said the paperwork would take fifteen minutes at this time in the morning. I missed lunch and had to order in my dinner.” Raymond gave the man a quirky smile.

Captain Hill blinked then remembered what Raymond was talking about. “Hey, I paid for that pizza feast. I still can’t believe you put down a whole triple meat large carnivore from Armor Hill pizza.”

“Is that a big pizza?” Yoshi held her hands out to show about a 12-inch pizza. Raymond smiled at his aunt and moved her hands so that they showed the size for a pizza double that size. Yoshi looked down at where Raymond had moved her hands with wide eyes then up at her nephew. “There goes my food bill.

The slip was accidental, but Raymond caught the implicates fast. “I’ll try not to eat you out of house and home aunt Yoshi.

“Um… Raymond could you please translate for me?” Hill asked.

“My aunt Yoshi commented about the cost of food at home going through the roof and I promised her that I won’t eat them out of house and home.” Raymond didn’t feel like telling the Captain that it was only his aunt who was worried about the food bill. He had a feeling that the reason for his aunt being here and not his grandparents was not that they couldn’t fly.

Hill just chuckled as he set a small stack of papers down in front of Yoshi. “Miss. Nagata these are the forms that you need to sign to take full custody for Raymond. If you need a translator I can arrange for one to be sent over.”

“Oh, no need translator. I can read English far better than I can speak it.” Yoshi answered with a smile then turned to Raymond. “Besides, I trust my nephew to translate for me if there is need.”

Raymond couldn’t believe his ears. This woman had just met him, and she said she trusted him. Then he remembered how he translated her slip up. He made sure to protect the family’s honor by making a joke out of what was a very uncomfortable situation for his mother’s family. He had a feeling that he won’t be living with his grandparents but with his aunt or one of his uncles.

Thank you for your trust aunt Yoshi. I will not shame our family.” Raymond looked over at Hill before he could say something. “I was just telling my aunt that I will translate what she needs me to, to the best of my abilities, sir.”

Hill sat there for a few seconds. Then chuckled. “Raymond if you ever decide to go into business for yourself start off as an official translator. Your skills will be highly marketable. In either the commercial or political fields.”

Yoshi let a small smile play at the corner of her lips at the young Captain’s compliment for her nephew. ‘Yes, my nephew would go far as a translator. He already shows a knack for diplomacy. I will have to be sure to nurture his language skills.’ She thought to herself as she read over the documents. After signing on the bottom line of the first five pages Yoshi stopped and reread the finale page twice.

“Excuse me, Captain Hill. This last page does not make sense to me.” Yoshi handed it to Raymond though. “Raymond-kun, please look at this page?

Raymond bowed his head and answered with a smile. “At once, Obasan Yoshi.” Raymond went over the last page as Yoshi instructed him. It didn’t take him long to figure out why his aunt wanted him to read the document. It was a formal request for adoption by whoever picked him. If he let his aunt sign that document, he would lose his military dependent status and with it all of his benefits. “Captain Hill, I thought that I was eligible for dependent status until I turned eighteen.”

“You are Raymond. Why are you asking?” The confused look on the Captain’s face had Raymond showing him the adoption request. He looked over the request and smiled over at both Raymond and Yoshi. “Okay I can see where the confusion is. Raymond you will still be a US Army dependent and have access to your benefits. This adoption is to allow your mother’s family to take you outside of the country to raise you.”

Raymond thought over what Captain told him and nodded his head. “I trust Captain Hill not to screw me over aunt Yoshi. If his explanation is the truth, then we can have the JAG office verify it. Have him call his CO.”

“No offence, Captain Hill. Could you call for your Superior please?” Yoshi asked Hill pleasantly. Hill just smiled and pulled out his cellphone.

A short conversation with the JAG office and Hill turned to Yoshi. “Colonel Hickman will be here in a few minutes, Miss. Nagata. He was expecting my call. We figured that either you or Raymond would question the adoption request.”

Colonel Hickman showed up in less than twenty minutes. During that time Yoshi questioned Raymond on his schooling, what other languages he spoke, what his mother told him about Okinawa. Little things trying to get a feel for the boy. What she really wanted to do though was get the paperwork done and back to her hotel. She wanted to make an international phone call to her boss. Though Raymond didn’t know it yet, he had just solved a major problem for his aunt and her boss. She just needed to figure out how to make it work.

Yoshi’s boss was a very traditional Japanese man in certain regards. Yoshi took in Raymond’s over all appearance. He was maybe five-three to five-four, one-hundred-ten pounds, and took after her sister Mishi in the face. Raymond’s longish black hair, almond shaped eyes, and small size all lent themselves towards Raymond appearing very feminine. ‘He would make such a beautiful Lolita or even a geisha. I wonder how he would do in a senpai and kōhai work relationship?’

As Yoshi was feeling out Raymond he was doing the same with his aunt. Raymond could tell that she wasn’t comfortable in the very conservative business suit. Nor was she comfortable with the whole proper business executive look. When Yoshi pushed a lock of hair behind her left ear with her fingers, Raymond spotted a purple highlight. Not very pronounced but there none the less. ‘She still dresses as a Lolita at her age. Well at least back home she does. I wonder if she has any of her normal clothes here with her? I would love to get a look at them. Hell, I would love to see how I looked in them. She probably only has business suits with her though.’

Colonel Hickman sat down with Yoshi, Raymond, the moment he found them. “Captain Hill have you explained the situation with the adoption paperwork?”

“I have sir, only Miss Nagata has a few questions concerning her nephew’s dependent benefits. Sir, I will be honest this one topic that I feel you would be better off explaining.” Captain Hill answered the Colonel.

“I see. Well young lady what do you want to know?” Yoshi bristled at the Colonel’s brisk manner. “Well I don’t have all day. What are your questions?”

Yoshi looked over at Raymond and asked. “Is this man really Captain Hill’s superior? If he is, is there someone else we can deal with?”

Hickman glared at Yoshi then Raymond. “Well, what did she just say, soldier?”

Raymond was the one to bristle this time. “Colonel, I don’t know where you learned your diplomacy, but you need to take a refresher course. Captain Hill who do we report Colonel Hickman’s attitude to?”

“Just what does that mean? I don’t have time to be wasting on what is a straight forward legal proceeding. Your mother’s family has to adopt you boy, or you don’t leave the US. Instead you’ll be placed in the foster care system until your eighteenth birthday. Your foster parents will have total control over the insurance money to be used for your care.” Colonel Hickman was basically telling Raymond that he either let his aunt adopt him or get thrown into the system with no say in the matter. Either way he was going to lose his dependent status.

Aunt Yoshi, as much as I hate to say this I have to. You need to sign that final page. Either you adopt me, or I go into the foster care system with no say in what happens to me. With you I at least get to stay with family.” Raymond quickly informed his aunt of the situation.

Yoshi gave the Colonel a harsh look then signed the adoption paperwork. Colonel Hickman picked up the pack and looked it over. When he got the bottom of each page he signed on the line below her name then notarized each one. Captain Hill wanted to say something but was stuck with having to follow his Commanders orders. Hickman stood up and looked at Hill.

“Get those filled by COB, Captain. This office has wasted enough time in handling this matter.” Looking over at Yoshi, Hickman continued to give out orders. “Be sure to clear out the Rockwell residence by fourteen-hundred Friday, Miss. Nagata. This command can no longer hold back a much-needed asset for a civilian. Be off the base by fifteen-hundred Friday or I’ll have the MPs escorting you off.”

Raymond couldn’t believe the man’s attitude and just stared as he walked away. “Aunt Yoshi, please forgive me. I don’t know what got into the Colonel.”

You have nothing to apologize for Raymond-kun. I know his type. One of these days his karma will come back to bight him later. Tell me how close you are to being finished with packing your family’s possessions?

I can be finished this afternoon aunt Yoshi. Maybe three to four hours at most.” Raymond felt he should be honest with his aunt.

Yoshi just smiled then turned to Captain Hill. “Captain Hill, please to inform your superior that we shall be done and off the base by this time Thursday. Also, now that I have legal custody of my nephew we shall be staying at my hotel until we leave. I see no reason to stay at my sister’s old home.” Standing up Yoshi looked over at Raymond. “Come Raymond we have work to do.”

Raymond didn’t know what his aunt was up to, but his earlier training with his mother had him showing asshole and elbows. Even as they exited the CONONE mess-hall Yoshi was raising holy hell. “Arrogant assholes. Not that it matters. Your grandparents had planned for this situation. I have the number for a firm that will pack and ship all your family’s possessions by the end of the day.

Raymond looked at the soldiers around them as his aunt hailed a taxicab. It didn’t take her long to get a cab or to reach his old home. On the way his aunt called the moving company. A half hour after they arrived at the old bases house a large tractor trailer pulled up in front. Raymond watched as the four men and one woman began loading his family’s possessions into the trailer. While the men were lifting the heavy furniture. The woman was packing the rest of the small stuff with him and his aunt. By fifteen-hundred hours that afternoon the last box was loaded into the cargo container on the trailer.

After a quick stop at the home of Tommy Long to allow Raymond to say goodbye to his friend Yoshi took him by the MP barracks. It didn’t take him long to pack up his few clothes and possessions and load them into her rental car. Everything fit into the two footlockers that Yoshi picked at the Post Exchange for Raymond. After saying goodbye to the friends Raymond made among the MPs Yoshi headed for the Provost Marshal. Yoshi checked in with Captain Hill and received the paperwork that cleared his adoption. At sixteen-hundred hours Raymond and Yoshi followed the truck out the main gates of Fort Knox. As they passed through the gate Raymond felt that a part of his life was coming to a close. He was left with a very unknown and frightening future. It was that fear of the future that had Raymond opening up to his aunt Yoshi for the first time.

*from here on all conversation is to be assumed as Japanese*

“Aunt Yoshi, when you said that my grandparents had a plan in place for me. What did you mean?” Raymond asked her as they drove her rental car towards her hotel.

“Your grandparents are very old Raymond-kun. They are in their late sixties. Too old to be raising a teenager. Before I left Tokyo, it was decided that you will come and live with me. The reasoning behind this was I am closest to your age.” Yoshi smiled as she started to explain what her grandparents wanted to do for Raymond. Yoshi chuckled for a few minutes. “Do you know that you and I are close to the same number of years apart as your mother and I were.”

“Um… aunt Yoshi, just how many years apart are you and mom?” Raymond asked politely.

“Your mother was exactly twelve-years older than me. Before you ask there is fourteen years between us. The same number of years between me and your oldest uncle, Jiro. On the other end of that scale is your uncle Juro who is only ten years older then you’re now. Before you ask why your grandparents felt that it would be best for you to live with me the answer is simple. Your uncle Juro is still in college. Your uncle Jiro has a wife and two toddlers to support. Your uncle Mistu has five more years to go before his enlistment is over. That leaves just me. The twenty-eight-year-old, single, Takeshita shop girl of the Harajuku district of Tokyo.” Yoshi started to giggle. “Or so your grandparents and uncles think. One of these days they’re going to find out that I actually OWN five of those Takeshita Doori shops and another three more in Omotesando Hills.”

Raymond’s eyes bulged out of his head hearing his aunt owned eight shops in one of the most high-end shopping districts of Tokyo. She had to be loaded. What Raymond couldn’t figure out was how she made her fortune. “Wait a minute Aunt Yoshi. You said that you work for a traditional Japanese man earlier.”

“Oh, I do work for a traditional man, Raymond-kun. I just own the shops that he sells his clothing line out of. I work for one of the trendiest fashion designers in all of Japan. All I carry are his designs.”

“Um… so you like own your stores but have an exclusive contract with your boss. Is that how it works?” Raymond was trying his best to understand the situation.

“Exactly Raymond-kun. That is very perceptive of you. Now, I have a question for you. Other than English and Japanese do you speak any other languages?” Yoshi was hoping that he did. The more skills Raymond had the better her chances at selling her idea to her friend and boss Takashi Shimizu.

Raymond turned a little sad. “Dad was teaching me German. I’m not as good with it as I’m my Japanese. Specialist Donnelly started teaching Hangugeo; I mean Korean. He spent two tours of duty over there. I would have liked to learned some more, but I doubt that will happen now.”

Yoshi smiled as she heard this. “Raymond-kun, just how good are you at learning languages? I mean do you find it hard to understand other languages?”

“I don’t really know. I just kind of pick them up.” Raymond just shrugged his shoulders as he answered Yoshi’s question.

The manner of his answer and the way Raymond shrugged his shoulders had Yoshi doing a double take. It wasn’t the only time that day she had done so either. From the first time she laid eyes on the boy she thought she was looking at her deceased sister. There were little bits and pieces of his father in Raymond’s face sure. Yet for the majority of his appearance took after his mother. Yoshi took them to a Ryan’s Steakhouse for dinner before heading back to her hotel for the night. The two of them continued to talk through dinner learning more about the other.

Even at back Yoshi’s hotel Raymond continued asking questions of his aunt. Trying to get a feeling for her and his extended family. A little after midnight Yoshi sent him to bed stating they had a lot to do in the morning. She waited for Raymond to fall asleep before stepping out of the room. She took her keycard and cellphone. Down in the lobby Yoshi made her first call of the night.

“Hello?” the woman answered on the other end. “Whose calling?”

“It’s me mom.”

“Yoshi, dear. It’s good to hear from you. We were expecting your call yesterday.”

“Sorry, mom. I got in late here and still had a long drive ahead of me. Fort Knox is over two-hundred kilometers from Cincinnati. With no direct train or bus connection. I had to rent a car and drive.”

“I understand Yoshi, but I doubt your father will.” Yoshi heard her mother sigh on the other end of the call. “You know how he gets when it comes to you girls.”

“I know mom.” Yoshi sighed. Then turned to business. “Mom I arranged for Mishi, and Steve to be cremated. I’ll have their ashes with me when we arrive in Tokyo at the end of the week. I had to used that shipping firm dad suggested.”

“Thank you for doing this for us, dear. Your father wanted to handle this himself, but with everything going at that new building site. He just couldn’t get away. How is Raymond handling all of this?”

“He is doing alright mom. I sent you a picture of him earlier.” Yoshi knew that her mother and grandfather hadn’t seen their grandson in ten years. So, sending the picture was one of the first things she did. Once she had the chance.

“She definitely takes after Mishi. Why she could be your baby sister, Yoshi.”

“MOM. Raymond is a boy.” Yoshi was happy that her mother spotted what she already knew. She still had to make sure to correct her mother though.

“I know that Yoshi, but you have to admit that HE does look like Mishi. Too much like her for his own good.” There was thoughtful pause on the other end of the line. “Yoshi, be honest. With his looks do you really think that Raymond will fit in here or should he stay with you?”

Yoshi smiled. Things couldn’t have worked out better if she had planned it. Her mother was already thinking along the same lines as her. “To be honest mom, no. With his small size and pretty face he is going to be a target for the bullies. Especially for those American dependents from the bases.”

“Will he even fit in with the local teens in Tokyo? If what you say is true. No you’re right. With his looks he will have few problems in Tokyo.”

“I take it that you’re looking at his picture I sent with a closer eye. Just think about it mom. Even without makeup or having his hair styled, Raymond looks more like a girl than most of the boy Lolitas that I know. People are going to think he is gay no matter what happens. I think the best thing is for Raymond to stay with me in Harajuku. The schools in this area are a little more open minded. Which for Raymond will be a big help.”

“Tell me Yoshi. Does my grandson even speak Japanese?” And there was the old attitude towards outsiders that Yoshi’s mother grew up with.

“Mom, this is one time you need to put that attitude on hold. Raymond is your grandchild and a true credit to our family honor. You may have had your beefs with Steve, but he loved Mishi and she loved him.” Yoshi almost snarled but kept her temper in check. It was hard enough dealing with her parents at times, but she didn’t need to piss them off for not showing respect. “Raymond is a good kid mom. He speaks, reads, and writes Japanese better than the professional translators that I deal with most of the time. He does have an Okinawa inflection but that I put down to Mishi’s teachings. He also knows how to behave like a good Japanese teenager. One raised in the old country, mom.”

“How much of the old ways does my grandson understand, Yoshi?” There was a note of true worry in her mother’s voice. “Is he going to have problems fitting in?”

“No ma’am. I think that he will fit in quite well, mom. If anything, I feel that he will adjust faster than any of us would ever expect.” Yoshi was the one to sigh this time. “Mom, I know this is going to sound a little bit off. I think that Raymond would make a perfect kōhai. For either myself or Takashi.”

Yoshi’s mother was quiet on the other end of the line before saying anything. She was thinking over what Yoshi just told her. “Does Raymond have any skills that Takashi would even consider useful?”

“Mom, think about it? Raymond already speaks two languages other than English. He is fluent in both Japanese and German thanks to Steve and Mishi. He has already started on his third language thanks to one of the GI’s he has been around.” Yoshi knew that she has to sell her mother on her plan. “Raymond learns languages the way that I see fashion trends. I wouldn’t put it past him to be able to speak no less than four languages by the time he leaves school.”

“I see. How good is he as a translator, Yoshi?”

“He has already kept me from making a few mistakes mom.” Yoshie knew that her mother couldn’t see her smile but that didn’t matter. Her mother could hear the pride in her voice for Raymond. “He could go far. Very far as a Government approved Translator. I do not lie mom, he is that good.”

“Could he work for your father?”

“Mom, Raymond knows when to translate verbatim and when not to. His integrity is extremely high for one so young. Yet, at the same time his diplomacy is far beyond anything that I have seen. He has already shown me that he knows how to navigate difficult legal situations.” Yoshi let her pride fil her voice for Raymond. Her mother was silent after hearing this for so long that Yoshi thought that she hung up on her. “Mom you still there?”

“Yes dear. I’m still here. I’m just thinking.” After a few moments her mother came back. “Yoshi, go ahead and contact Takashi. I’ll let your father know that you’re taking Raymond in. He will be YOUR responsibility from now on. He shall be your kōhai only Yoshi. Understand? Not Takashi’s. Teach him well, my daughter.”

The phone went dead in Yoshi’s ear. Her mother had hung up on her. Yoshi knew that her mother had just placed the raising of her nephew in her hands. Whether Raymond succeeded or failed was all up to her now. “Well, I have no one to blame but myself. I just hope like hell Takashi well go along with my plan.”

-----tbc-----

up
390 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

More, More, More!

OMG, I am so excited about this story! Love the characters and can’t wait for the next episode...

Awesome!

My5InchFMHeels's picture

I was hoping we got you to continue this story!

It sound to me that Yoshi, without knowing already, is going to give Raymond exactly what his heart desires.

Looking forward to future chapters and all the trouble your mind can throw into a story!

I wouldn't be worrying about

I wouldn't be worrying about Takashi as much as I would be worrying about Raymond. I do believe that Yoshi will be very pleasantly surprised once she spring her plan on Raymond and finds she now has a niece rather than a nephew.

I agree with first comment

This is super super good and I need more. Love it!

Cool.

WillowD's picture

I am seriously liking this story.

looking forward to more,

though the new family seems a bit harsh, it strikes me me as a cultural issue.

Ridged culture

Jamie Lee's picture

For fourteen has been raised in the American, but has been taught by his parents the manners and respect he's shown since their deaths.

However, how difficult will it for him to live with his aunt and basically disregard all but a bit of his first fourteen years of his life? Yoshi will have to teach things which may be contridictive to what he's learn, some things which may make him feel as though he's a slave to traditions which are held by those who refuse to give them up. Despise his teachings by his parents, he's had more freedom to express himself for fourteen years, something he won't be as able to do living with his aunt or in that culture. The newbie will have a say only when addressed and at no other time. Can Raymond accept this?

Others have feelings too.

I'm Sorry

What does Kohai mean?


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Kohai

A quick Web search indicates: Student / junior / underclassman

It's usually paired with Senpai (teacher / senior / upperclassman), and is applied both to educational and business settings. So the pairing seems to be a professional relationship.


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

"Looks more like a girl"

And I suspect she's going to find persuading him to dress in Lolita easier than she thought - especially if he gets around to asking her about the fashion first...


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!