My Week at The Lake Day 4

Printer-friendly version

Chris wakes to the sound of thunder and rain hitting the top of their camper. She looks outside, and it was pouring. She couldn’t check the weather, because they weren’t getting any signals being down inside a valley.

Chris grabs her raincoat and boots and head over towards the bathroom to take a shower. Her feet and legs were sore from their hike yesterday. As she stood under the hot water from the showerhead, she could feel her body relaxing.

She hopes it stops raining sometime today. Once she is done with her shower and slipping on a nice sundress. She heads back towards the camper she was sharing with Anthony.

When she gets back, Anthony was still asleep. Chris grabs some cereal and pours some into a bowl, along with some milk. She selects her favorite playlist and listens to some music, while she ate. She kept the volume low, so not to wake Anthony.

After breakfast, she pulls her Kindle out and starts reading a book she had already downloaded. Chris still had the music playing at a low volume not to disturb Anthony. She loses herself in the novel she was reading.

A couple hours later, Anthony finally wakes up and is sore. He could hear the rain hitting against the roof of the camper.

“Would you like some coffee?” Chris heard Anthony moving around in the back of the trailer.

“Yes, please.” Anthony sits on the side of the bed, trying to move.

His calf muscles were sore from yesterday. He could smell the coffee Chris was brewing for him. He glances towards her as she moves around in the small kitchenette.

“Hey, we have some donuts if you want some for breakfast.” Chris holds up a box of an assortment of donuts.

“Thanks.” Accepts his coffee and the box of donuts.

As he is about to open them “aren’t you going to have some?”

“Nope, I had a bowl of cereal two hours ago.” Chris just smiles at him and clean the kitchenette up.

“How long has it been raining out?” As Anthony bites into a chocolate covered donut.

“Since I got up and that was two hours ago. It’s slacked off some, but it puts a dampener on any outside activities today.” Chris walks over towards the door and looks outside. It was still raining outside, but it was lighter.

“Where is my raincoat?” Anthony looks around for it.

“In the closet.” Chris points toward the closet.

Anthony finds his raincoat and slips his shoes on. He grabs what clothes he was going to wear and take them to the bathhouse.

“Have fun.” Chris just watches from the doorway of the camper.

Chris knows Anthony is going to be a while, so she cleans the camper up. She hopes she can go swimming for awhile today. She pulls what they are going to need for dinner tonight and move it to another cooler to defrost.

Once Chris is done arranging things for dinner. She sits back down and watches a movie on her tablet that she downloaded. She does glance out the window occasionally, to see what was going on over at the other camper.

A smile appears on her face as she spots Jimmy and Bruce sprinting towards the bathhouse in the rain. She would figure that they would have brought raincoats with them or even an umbrella. She still wonders why Jimmy came along. He should have known she was coming along as well.

Twenty minutes later, Anthony comes walking back into the camper feeling better and dressed. He enjoyed the hot water from the shower and the cold mountain well water as well.

“So, what are we going to do today?” Chris wonders if Anthony had a plan.

“Well, if it continues to rain. We could visit the antique and classic car museum in Staunton, Va.” Anthony had wanted to visit it while they were on vacation.

“That sounds like a nice plan. Are Bruce and his crew coming with us?” Chris wouldn’t mind just it being her and Anthony.

“I was going to ask if any of them wanted to come along. We could take my truck or their SUV.” Anthony figures it might be fun for everyone.

Anthony looks at Chris and could tell she was still upset about Jimmy’s behavior towards her. Yesterday, while they were hiking, Jimmy made snide comments about her. However, she just ignored him and kept up with Edward.

“Fine! Let me know what they want to do.” Chris sits back down on the sofa and starts reading her book.

Anthony grabs his raincoat and walks across to the camper where Edward, Jimmy, and Bruce were to talk with them. Twenty minutes later
Anthony comes walking back in the one he and Chris were sharing.

“Jimmy didn’t want to go into Staunton with us. So, grab your raincoat and purse.” Anthony heads towards the room he was sleeping and grabs his truck keys and wallet.

Chris puts away her tablet and checks her purse to make sure she had two extra pads with her. She wishes a doctor, or someone would come up with something to solve her little problem. She grabs her raincoat and follows Anthony out of the camper.

She takes the passenger seat, while Bruce and Edward ride in the back seats. The camper was already detached from the truck, as they leave their campsite and head towards downtown Staunton. The ride into town was peaceful. Chris watches as they pass several small farms and old home.

“I wonder what it was like way back when you didn’t have all these modern conveniences?” Chris loved the country.

“You had to work just as hard and get up early to tend to your farm. I know they still do that but think about the machinery back then. It was animal powered, depending on when you are talking about.” Edward loved the country as well.

He was thinking about buying some land and put some horses on it. He was an outdoors type of persons. He liked kayaking, hiking, rock
climbing and white-water rafting, and canoeing.

They arrive at the museum and park. The rain was still coming down, but it was more like a mist that still put a damper on things. The museum building was an old Ford Dealership that was three stories tall.

They were greeted when they enter by an older man. He was dress business casual.

“Greetings, welcome to Elder Antique and Classic Automobiles. We have one of the biggest collections of antique and classic cars around.
Some of our cars are for sale if you find one that you would like to own. Please let a staff member know.” Mr. Watts would love to sell some of their stock.

“I thought this was a museum?” Chris looks towards Anthony.

“It is, but I heard from Ford that this place also sells cars as well.” Anthony leads the way as they start looking at the cars.

Chris just follows Anthony and the guys as they examine and look at each of the cars. Sure, there were some nice cars. One of them spark her interest it was a 1974 Volkswagen bus converted to a camper VW rebuilt motor 4 speed on the floor. She wonders how much it was going for. She notices the mileage on it was only 97,000 miles.

Chris spots a staff member and walks over to them. The color wasn’t too bad on the bus. It looked straight and well care for.

“Excuse me, how much is the VW bus?” Chris still had money from the lawsuit against her father and brothers.

Derek was watching a group of people walking around looking at the cars on display. When he notices a young lady with light brown hair walking towards him.

“What can I do for you, ma’am?” Derek looks her over.

She had moderate breast development and lightly tanned skin. Her eyes were hazel and were shorter than her companions.

“We were told when we enter that some of the cars on display are for sale. How much is the VW bus over there?” Chris points towards the white and cream color VW bus.

“That one is going for $30,000. It’s been fully restored with a 12-volt system and a bigger engine has been installed along with aftermarket A/C.” Derek hasn’t had many people inquire about that bus.

“You can’t come down any on it?” Chris had the money to buy it, but she wanted to pay a little less. Considering she was going to have it shipped to where she lives with Anthony.

“How much lower are you thinking?” Derek wanted to see how serious this woman was.

“Say, around $22,000?” Chris really liked the bus.

“I can come down to $28,000 if that helps you?” Derek $22,000was to low for that bus.

“It’s still too much, considering I’m going to have to ship it home. How about….” As Chris bat her eyes and show a little skin “$24,000?”

Derek notices she was flirting with him “I’ll come down to 25,000 and that’s as low as I can come.”

“Mmm, okay. I can pay $25,000. Do you know a good transport person that can transport it to my home?” Chris knew she wanted to ship it.

“Yes, I do. Let’s go and finalize the deal.” Derek leads Chris to a computer and seals the deal.

Afterward, the guys teased Chris about buying the bus. They had been permitted to look inside. It had been to be a camper, instead of a
normal bus.

“I can’t believe you bought a VW bus. We come up here for vacation and you go out and buy a vehicle.” Anthony couldn’t believe his friend.

“It was cute, and it will allow us to go on more camping trips.” Chris liked that it had been converted to a camper.

They leave the museum and head towards an Outdoors and Hunting store. Edward buys a few items he spotted that he liked. He also finds out where the nearest white-water rafting place is.

The rain lightens up some, so it is more of a mist, but it is still too damp to do anything. They have lunch at a little mom and pop diner. They had deer meat, bear, veal and normal steaks on the menu. The diner had a license to sell wild game meat.

Chris orders up a homemade beef stew, while Edward and Bruce order the bear and venison meat. Anthony has a steak for lunch. Chris was going to fix chill out on the firepit when they get back to camp. She had all the ingredients cut up and ready to be dumped into the chill.

After lunch, they visit the Hershey plant in Stuarts Draft, VA. It wasn’t too far from their campsite. Chris bought a lot of chocolate and knick-knacks. The guys bought some as well, but not as much as Chris.

They head back to camp. The lights were on in the camper Edward, Bruce and Jimmy shared. Chris took her purchases into the camper she was sharing with Anthony and went outside to see if she could get a fire going. She had to use a starter log to get the wet wood they had
collected to light. Once the fire was going, she puts the pot on the grate and starts putting the ingredients for the chill in the pot. Chris figures the heat from the firepit will cook the chill pretty good.

Jimmy watches Chris as he went about wearing a dress. He hates how Chris just flaunts how he is. Why he ever agreed to come on this camping trip, he will never know.

Bruce and Edward spot Jimmy watching Chris as she went about fixing dinner. They had contributed other items towards the meal. The two of them knew Chris was a pretty good cook and loved her meals.

“Jimmy don’t start on Chris again unless you want to end up going home. We’re getting tired of it.” Edward liked Chris and understood why
Chris chose to be a girl, instead of a guy after what her father did to her.

“I promise to behave myself. I still don’t understand why you guys are protecting him.” Jimmy looks at his cousin.

“Because we have known Chris longer than you. We know what hardship she has gone through. Now behave yourself, before I take you to the
nearest Greyhound station.” Edward grabs the case of beer he brought when they went out earlier.

All three men head over towards Anthony’s and Chris campsite for dinner.

up
206 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I just don't trust Jimmie.

I just don't trust Jimmie. His attitude and demeanor bother me a lot, and I feel he will try and do something to Chris before this trip is over.

My folks had such a

VW bus when I was a teen, I blew the engine out of it, Those air cooled 4 cylinder engines didn't have much oomph, Chris would be better off getting an education, a good investment it isn't. Easy to rebuild though.

The old VW bus

Actually, the VW buses are going up in value. If you have a 23 window VW bus. It is worth hundred of thousands of dollars in really good condition. The VW's buses are also becoming popular again.

garfieldwritingsf.jpg
If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it.”
― Toni Morrison

BTW

VWs were all 12 volt years before 1974. My Bug was a '71 (not the so-called super beetle, just a regular flat windshield bug) and was 12 VDC.

Just Googled it. VWs in the USA went to 12 VDC with the '67 model year.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Depends on what year

And what engine yours was. I think by '74 the bus may have had the Bosch electronic fuel injected 1600 CI engine. My brother's '68 fastback had the EFI and I surprised several people in stoplight to stoplight drag races. Had a guy in an Olds Toronado that kept trying to cut me off. For some reason he just had to get in front of me. The one time he did he immediately pulled over in front of me then slowed way down, so I slingshoted past him. The next three lights he tried to beat me off the line but I beat him handily. At the last light (we were going to turn just after it) he romped on the gas and just spun his tires (Front tires, the Toronado was FWD). I easily pulled away from the light, went a half block down and turned. That guy was really pissed off!


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Bug in his pants

Jamie Lee's picture

What exactly bunched Jimmy's shorts about Chris? Other than the way she dresses? Is he ticked on general principles, some religious tick, or a bad experience? Whatever his real reason, he needs to get over it before he insults someone who feels really slighted and cleans his clock.

Or, does he understand why he hates seeing Chris present as a girl?

Others have feelings too.