Tecs in Heels - Women Detectives in Film and TV

Printer-friendly version

Author: 

Audience Rating: 

Publication: 

Genre: 

Other Keywords: 

Permission: 



Tecs in Heels -
Women Detectives in Film and Television



by Andrea Lena DiMaggio


New this fall to Television and Motion Pictures - Popular Series re-imagined and retooled to the delight of mystery fans everywhere.... well most places? Lots of places? Anyway, here a but a few favourites....


37071de68572fb08ab57c1fcd843981e.jpg
The Miss Fisher Fashion Mysteries

New to ABC-TV this fall. Phryne Fisher partners with transwoman/paramour Dr. Elizabeth "Mac" Macmillan as they investigate murders committed at high-end boutiques throughout Melbourne.


DQmYvoGX0AAUNzS.jpg
Trottar/Fortov (The Sidewalk)

Sanka Noren is a Malmo Detective who drinks altogether too much coffee and doesn’t play well with peers. She makes a friend in Copenhagen transwoman cop, Heidi Magnusson. Together they solve crimes in Sweden and Denmark.


092815-zooey-emily-moments-2004.jpg
Tunes

In a reboot of another popular series, Temperance Brennan has relocated to New Orleans, where she is the head of the Forensic Musicology Department at the Basin Street Institute. She teams with her Savant-like transgender cousin Margaret as they investigate the murder of New Orleans Bass Players.


MV5BNTIyODkzMzMwN15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMDE1NDAwMjE@._V1_SY1000_CR0017591000_AL_.jpg
Tjejen med kanintatueringen
(The Girl with the Bunny Tattoo)

Lisbeth Salamander is a brilliant Goth girl/IT Hack who combats online corporate greed and criminal enterprises throughout Scandinavia. She finds safety and an occasional backrub from her Eurasian transwoman girlfriend Mimi, a Manager in the New Products department at Ericsson.


Vintage-Mid-Century-German-Zither-Stringed-full-1-720 10.10-75-l-59-ea.jpg
Z is for Zither

In this new-to-television series, murders involving crimes committed with musical instruments are investigated by Kinsey Mulholland, a private detecitive out of Santa Hanna-Barbera. California. She is ably assisted by her octagenarian transwoman neighbor Alison, as well as her cat Agatha.


and finally...

smillas-sense-of-snow-still-526x295.jpg
Smillas følelse af snekegler
(Smilla’s Sense of Snow Cones)

Smilla Husqvarna works as a research chemist for the Refreshment/Beverage Division of the 7-11 Corporation in Copenhagen. She investigates the large scale substitution of substandard Slurpee Vodka syrup in 7-11 stores across Denmark. She solves the case while romancing her downstairs transgender neighbor, Den kvinde, hvis navn Smilla glemte. (The woman whose name Smilla forgot)


And as an added bonus, here's a nice tune....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hz8jmUt0bt0

Hollow Talk

Echoes start as a cross in you
Trembling noises that come too soon
Spatial movement which seems to you
Resonating your mask or feud
Hollow talking and hollow girl
Force it up from the root of pain
Never said it was good, never said it was near
Shadow rises and you are here

And then you cut
You cut it out
And everything
Goes back to the beginning

Silence seizes a cluttered room
Light is shed not a breath too soon
Darkness rises in all you do
Standing and drawn across the room
Spatial movements are butterflies
Shadows scatter without a fire
There's never been bad, there has always been truth
Muted whisper of the things she'll move
And then you cut
You cut it out
And everything
Goes back to the beginning

Never said it was good, never said it was new
Muted whisper of the things you feel

TunnusteluDUO
Vocals: Marika Torkko
Piano: Jaakko Elenius
Songwriters: Anders Rhedin / David Hughes / Fridolin Nordsoe / Jannis Noya Makrigiannis

up
79 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Ah, This Is the 'Drea I've Always Known

littlerocksilver's picture

I've been to Scandinavia twice. I think I'll move there. Stockholm, Helsinki, Copenhagen; such tough choices.

Portia

OK, I'll bite

What has Oslo done wrong?

Sorry about the ommission

littlerocksilver's picture

Haven't been there yet, other than the time we made an unscheduled landing to remove the body of a man who died in flight to the US. I won't count that as a visit. We certainly intend to go there, and to Bergen. I want to visit Trolhagen (sp.?).

Portia

Not only Troldhaugen in Bergen

You also have one of best Edvard Munch collections there and the old Hanse quarter. And that's just in case you get tired of the mountains and the fiord.

Thanks Andrea

joannebarbarella's picture

It's been too long since you gave us one of these educational little pieces!

I really miss Phryne

I’ve learned a lot from Miss Fisher

I’ve been watching the show on Netflix and thoroughly enjoyed it. She’s a strong, independent woman who enjoys men on her terms. Very smart. While it makes sense, I’d never considered that people from Australia would have served in World War I and the effects such service would have had on them. That’s part of our flapper’s life. I highly recommendation it!

Suzij

The Australians and New Zealanders served in WW1

with honour and distinction. There is even a day when they remember it. ANZAC Day.
They lost a lot of troops in the failed Galippoli (Turkey) campaign.
Troops from all over the British Empire served in WW1. The Indian Army especially the Sikh and Gurka regiments were feared fighters. The Gurkas still serve in the British Army. Two of my neighbours are former soldiers in the Gurka Regiments.

There is an article on the BBC website about the woman who served on the front line in WW1
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt-sh/A_forgotten_soldier

Rather poingnant as we approach the centenary of the end of WW1.

As for Miss Fisher... I love the series. Essie Davis plays the character very well. And the clothes... sigh..
Samantha

"If US fights Australia fights" (and fun facts about WW I)

Not really true but starting with WW I ...

Don't forget that WW I was a World War.
"German" askaris in East Africa under command of relatively few Germans was the last major force to surrender.
Japanese destroyers convoyed allied shipping in the Mediterranean. Of course the Japanese had first conquered the German "Schutzgebiet" in China.
The Australian/New Zealand trauma was acquired against the turks.
Albania was neutral. The front Went rigth through the country most of the war.
French colonial subjects and Chinese laboured on the western front.
Lawrence of Arabia fomented trouble for the Ottomans.
A certain Swedish/French/Russian speaking Russian general led Russian, Polish, Rumanian and assorted other troops against Germans and Austrians before going home to Finland to fight "the wrong kind" of Finns and Russians with the help of Germans. (Mannerheim)
The Royal Navy was mauled outside Chile by the Imperial German Navy.
It's said that more US troops were being trained or on the Atlantic than actually arrived in France before November 11, 1918.
In the aftermath former Czech prisoners of war supported their former captors in Siberia (led by an Imperial Admiral thousands of kilometers from any navigable sea) against the Red Army. Until they shopped the admiral and thus bought a ticket home.
Also in the aftermath an Italian poet set up his own country in Fiume (Rijeka) leading some 2600 mostly shell-shocked veterans. A year later he declared war on Italy.

It was all a rightt mess!

And then came the REAL catastrophe - the Spanish Flu!

Bru

I wish they would...

laika's picture

The last transgender crime show I saw was HIT AND MISS from BBC or SKY TV, it lasted one very short season and ended with a "Mexican standoff" cliffhanger, enough years ago that I'm pretty sure it's not coming back. I would be a fan of any of these shows, but would prefer Miss Fisher because she's a FUN character, in sunny jazz age Oz; none of that heavy Scandinavian angst and oppressively colorless scenery those Scandi shows have.

But alas, we can only dream of such a smorgasbord of great TV detectives (and TG and TS detectives...); These pics and Drea's delightfully silly spoof captions (only Bob Clampett can do worse puns. Snow cones... SHEESH!) are as close as we're going to get...
~hugs, Veronica
.

Oh well, I hear there's a trans superhero showing up on SUPERGIRL in the coming (or current) season; almost like the writers are thumbing their nose at all the Social Injustice Warrior snowflakes whining + boycotting over Supergirl's adopted sister turning out be gay. So I gotta see that; too bad the show's so damned moronic at times....)

AND it's a few more days until the greatest hero in all of time and space
comes back to us as a girl! You know Who...
YAY!!!!!!

.
The closest approximation to what it's like in my brain:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u08E7c-FRbU&t=4s

The actress, Nicole Maines,

Andrea Lena's picture

The actress, Nicole Maines, is an identical twin to Jonas.

i-gemelli-maines.jpg

"In 2014 Maines won a discrimination lawsuit against her school district in Maine, after officials barred her from using the girls' bathroom. The Maine Supreme Judicial Court ruled the school district had violated the Maine Human Rights Act."

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

oops

oops

Ohhh...

We haven't seen one of these in some time and I sorely miss them!!! Liz Salamander...??? :D

Is It...

Da Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrat

Derp...

Derp

PKB_003b.jpg

A bunch of silly comments (I'm in that mood today)

Given the new city council in Santa Hanna-Barbera they play Looney Tunes on the Zithar

Don't forget that Sanka can't drink her coffee without cinnamon rolls which plays havoc with her weigth. Sweden celebrates the day of the cinnamon roll on October 4.

The Bass players turned out to be really fishy.

Smilla Husqvarna had me in stitches.