Ginny's Story Chapter 85

Printer-friendly version

Wendy 1.jpg

<

Ellen and <Jinny.jpg


Ginny's Story

A novel by Karen Lockhart

Copyright© 2018 Karen Lockhart
All Rights Reserved.


 


It's funny how things happen


CHAPTER 85

As good as her word, Ariana showed up at quarter to nine, just in time for coffee. I was excited, not having made it to the barn since I started working behind the bar at Naked City months ago. Ellen and Wendy were still on the Saturday morning schedule, so a Friday visit was a bonus.

Ariana looked at how we were dressed, and asked if she looked okay. I wished I looked that okay, in tight jeans, a pullover periwinkle blue sweater, and 2” heel cowgirl boots. This was topped by a red down jacket from LL Bean. Wendy and I were wearing Wranglers, and a sweat shirt. I wore Western boots, and Wendy wore trainers. Ellen wore Jodhpurs and tall, side-zip English field boots and a ¼ zip polar-fleece pullover.

We piled into Ellen's big Ford Explorer and headed for Route 1 and the farm in Newbury. We agreed to stop at Dunkin Donuts for a Box of coffee and a dozed mixed donuts, making sure there were a ½ dozen cider donuts.

Forty-five minutes later we parked at Cathy's barn. The coffee and donuts were very welcome, since she had given her staff the day off, and she'd been working since 7 AM.

After introducing Ariana, Wendy dragged her into the barn to show her the horses. This gave Ellen, Cathy and I a chance to discuss the possibility of me leasing a Western trained horse.

I explained my current work schedule and my monthly finances, which Cathy thought would work out great for me, having late mornings free to ride. She was curious where I was working that paid so well.

Ellen snorted and said 'At a gay bar down the South Shore'. I quickly corrected her saying it was a private men's club catering to cross-dressers and the trans-gendered. This caught Cathy's curiosity.

“A private club?” she asked, “Only for the CD and TG crowd ?”

“Yes, but it's more complicated than that, even the entertainment, waitresses, and bar stall must be TG, there are no natural women working there.”

Cathy looked a little embarrassed, “I had forgotten you had correction surgery, but you said Ariana was a singer there. No way she's a boy!” she paused, “Is there?”

“Please don't tell her, but she's Tina's younger brother, and Morales' son. That's how the police caught him, he wanted to hear her sing.”

To say Cathy was 'gobsmacked' as my Australian relatives would say, was an understatement.

Ellen spoke up, “Cathy, you should hear her sing, she really does sound just like Ariana Grande. No lip syncing like most “female impersonators” do at gay clubs.”

Cathy looked at me, and I just nodded.

Ellen spoke again, “They even got Ginny to do a strip tease act for the customers.”

I turned bright red and ground my teeth while Cathy turned to me open mouthed. Before she could ask, I said “Indeed, and I had more money stuffed in my G-string in one day than Ellen makes in a week!”

Before either of them could say more, I said “I'm a bartender at the main bar and just that, and Ariana only sings at the lounge upstairs where I started out.”

Cathy looked at Ellen and said if she wanted a lesson, she'd better start tacking up. After Ellen left, we got down to business.

“If you want to lease a show quality Western horse, I've got nothing here except my horse, who doesn't get leased. I'll need to make a few phone calls to see what's out there for lease. To be honest, don't get your hopes up. If you just want a good horse to trail ride and poke around on, I just got a 7 year old Morgan gelding in last week who I'd lease to you.”

“To buy a show quality horse would cost how much?” I asked.

“Fifteen to thirty thousand dollars, plus trucking and my time Ginny. Do you want to spend that much for your first ever horse?”

I took a deep breath, “Can I see that new Morgan?”

Cathy smiled, “Thank the Lord, you had me worried for a minute. Come on, while Ellen's getting ready lets go look at him.”

As I followed her down the barn aisle, I could hear Wendy and Ariana talking and giggling. Cathy stopped at the end stall; inside was a large bay-colored horse with a big white blaze on his face.
He ran up to the door and neighed at Cathy and I. “He's looking for a treat.” Cathy said.

I reached in my pocket and unwrapped a star-burst peppermint candy. As soon as he smelled the candy, he pawed the door. I gave him a few pats then ran my hands along his lower legs, slowly picking up each hoof.

He happily cooperated with my inspection, and nuzzled Cathy's shoulder while she held his halter.

“I like him Cathy, what's his name?”

“'Windcrest's Command', but we call him just 'Windy'. Look Ginny, why don't you get my spare Western saddle and get him ready. As soon as you get him tacked up, lead him into the arena. I'll hop on him first, then you can ride him, and see what you think. We'll talk money later.”

I didn't need a second invitation, I headed for the tack room and Cathy's saddle. I grabbed the girls and had Ariana find brushes while I sent Wendy into the arena to ask Cathy which bridle I should use.

I put Windy on cross ties and removed his Baker winter blanket. Ariana was a little timid coming into the stall to hand me the brushes since Windy was almost 16 hands (each hand is 4”) tall and over 1200 pounds. When she saw how friendly he was, she started to rub his neck.

“Here do something useful, take this brush and brush his coat with the way the hair grows,” I said.

Wendy came back with a work bridle and started to show Ariana how to groom a horse.

With two of us working, the saddle was ready to go on his back. First a thick blanket was placed on Windy's back, then I lifted the 30 pound saddle in place. Hooking the left stirrup over the saddle horn, I untied the girth leather. Quickly running the leather between the girth and the saddle, I had it nice and tight. Wendy handed me the bridle, which I slipped on after removing his leather halter.

I adjusted the bridle and led him out of his stall.

“What's his name?” Wendy asked.

“Wendy!” I said.

This got a snort from Ariana, and a stamped foot from Wendy.

I smiled and said, “His name is 'Windcrest's Command', Cathy calls him 'Windy'.”

We walked into the arena, so Cathy could check his bridle before mounting him. She had me hold his bridle while she got on.

After walking for a few minutes, she had him lope then jog around the ring. He was a willing and happy horse.

Cathy stopped in the center of the arena, and waved me over. Wendy grabbed a mounting block and I settled on his back, Cathy shortened the stirrups one hole on each side and sent me off at a walk along the rail.

I put him through his paces, jogging and loping both directions of the ring. Then stopping him and backing up. He responded flawlessly.

Ellen was watching this and rode up to me and said. “If you don't do something with him, then I will.”

Cathy could tell by the expression on my face that I was sold on Windy.

“Put him away and meet me in the office,” she said. Turning to Ellen, she said, “They make a nice pair, don't they?”

The girls followed me to Windy's stall. Wendy slipped off his bridle and replaced his halter, hooking him up to the cross ties. I removed the saddle and put it on the saddle cart, asking Ariana to wheel it to the tack room.

Windy got a couple more peppermints while I brushed him. Wendy helped me replace his blanket and set him loose to roll in the shavings.

Cathy met me in her office and after closing the door, asked me what I thought. It's hard to drive a deal while grinning ear to ear, but I did my best. “You want to lease him?”

“How much a month? And what am I responsible for?” I asked.

“Standard things, farrier bills, vet bills and insurance. What do you think of $400 a month?” She paused, “If you buy him, half of that goes towards the purchase price.”

“Wait a sec, what is his purchase price? It would go up as I rode him or showed him at local shows, wouldn't it?”

Cathy smiled, “ I have him priced at $5000. If you lease him, the price wouldn't change. Now, if you bought him, I would charge $900 a month just like I do everyone else. And of course, all the vet bills and the farrier costs. The good news is, he already has his winter shoes and pads, that saves $350 right there.”

Ellen knocked on the door and entered.

“Cathy, acting as Ginny's instructor, what do you recommend she does?”

She looked at me, “Ginny, I would say lease him until Spring. If you still like him, and I think he will be a show horse, make the decision then. In March, I will know more about him and you will be able to see how well he responds to doing equitation figures and generally seeing if the two of you meld into a team. If he improves like I think he will, Windy could easily be a $20,000 horse.”

Ellen nudged me in the shoulder.

“Will the purchase price still be $5000 in the Spring?”

When she nodded yes, I said “Deal, draw up the paperwork!”

I think the girls had their ears to the door since they ran in when I said “Deal”.

Wendy was really excited, thinking she could ride him when I was at work. I broke that bubble quickly! “Ellen's getting married on New Years day and I'm buying the condo from her. So, just how often do you think you would be allowed to ride MY horse?”

Cathy smiled saying, “If you want to ride again Wendy, make an appointment for a lesson.”

Ellen agreed, “Make a time for when I have a lesson, and ride one of the lesson horses. A green horse with a green rider is a bad combination; lets give Windy a break.”

Cathy and I signed the lease paperwork and I walked out of there almost a horse owner. Now to figure out a purchase and sales agreement on the condo and to arrange a bank loan. Thankfully, Ellen didn't need it done in the next couple of weeks. At Christmas, she was moving in with Pete. What a nice time to do it! I didn't know about Ellen, but, I was going to miss her bigtime! My eyes started to water, just thinking about her leaving.

I didn't think the situation had sunk in with Wendy yet. She would be living almost alone.Well, her college career started in January, so we'd see.

To be continued.


Thanks to Bronwen Welsh for her encouragement and editing, without both, this story would not exist.


Special thanks to Tanya Allen for permission to use her book "The Candy Cane Club" in my story

up
144 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

A major story line change,

If Ellen really leaves Our character will also be alone, and vulnerable to other things, Job loss for example would be a major catastrophe. Most of us tgirls struggle to survive and do not make good money.Of course many of us struggle to pass too.

Ginny is Wendy's guardian, so

Ginny is Wendy's guardian, so it will be those two living in the condo. Also Ariana is Wendy's friend, and Jean is Ginny's friend. No Lone Rangers.

It is a bit crowded

Samantha Heart's picture

But Wendy & Genny WILL miss Ellin when she moves in with Pete.

Love Samantha Renée Heart.

Things are going to change

With Ellen leaving and Wendy starting college, it seems that Wendy's role in the story will change. She has kept her past secret and she could be confronted by people from her past.

I'm glad to see that the riding lessons and showing horses is still part of Ginny's life, but she is going to need to be more disciplined about visiting and riding Windy. If she does not, the two of them will not really bond. If they do become a pair, Ginny might decide to change her life again and spend more time at the stables.

I love every chapter of this story. Keep up the great work.

Horses

Back when I was involved with horses, I was at the barn 6 days a week. I bought a green horse from a trainer 4 states away. For 6 months, the only person who rode this horse was me under my trainer's supervision. At the end of this, he and I communicated on a different level, I would think, and he would do it.

They're All Different

joannebarbarella's picture

I was a part-owner of three racehorses. Two of them were geldings, which is most common in racing thoroughbreds. The first was a very clever animal who quickly decided that he didn't like racing but was quite placid. We retired him and he became a great favourite with the recreational riders. The second was a beautiful and affectionate animal with definite potential. He won his first race easily but bled on his second outing so we rested him and treated him within the local rules. Unfortunately he bled again when we raced him a third time and we had to put him down. Such are the vagaries of competitive racing.

The third was an "entire" who was an absolute bastard that you had to watch every minute and stay well away from his hooves but he was our most successful competitor and won a number of races, more than repaying his purchase price and maintenance costs.

Of course, owning racehorses is quite a different kettle of fish from owning show horses. You cannot bond with the animals like you can with show horses and naturally only the work riders and jockeys are allowed to ride them. After our experience with the stallion I gave it away as being unrewarding from a personal point of view.

Race horses

He couldn't race on Lasix?
Retired racing horses, Quarter Horses, Thoroughbreds, make great hunter-jumpers, once they get used to the rider climbing on, rather than tossed on.

We call them "Whole"

Lasix

joannebarbarella's picture

It wasn't permitted in our jurisdiction. Basically only rest and recuperation was allowed. On his third run the bleeding was massive and he was put down straight after the race by the duty vet. The only small consolation was that he was insured and that paid for his replacement, which was the ungelded animal which was so utterly different in temperament.

A bleeder

It's unfortunate, but best for all.

Changes in the wind

Jamie Lee's picture

The threesome is about to become a twosome plus one, a four legged one. How will this change the dynamics of their relationships?

Windy will need Ginny's attention if the two are to bond in such a way to perform properly together. Wendy is also likely to need attention when she starts college since it's such a different environment than what she may have experienced.

And with these changes how will it affect Ellen and Wendy's work relationship? Or Peter's and the two girls?

Change happens daily, the sun comes up then goes down, which is normal for the Earth. But some people don't handle changes in relationships well because of their past experiences. Hopefully the people involved with each other in this chapter can weather the changes they will be experiencing.

Others have feelings too.