Chicken Fingers

Printer-friendly version

.
.

chicken finger.jpg

.

Emily started crying. We were eating dinner. I looked over, and everyone was crying. I didn't know why. We had chicken fingers.

Mom just sat there with tears rolling down her face. It was a mad face.

Dad had a worried face. He kept wiping his eyes, and black smudges started to appear. He looked like a raccoon.

I stopped eating and swallowed. I knew I shouldn't talk with my mouth full. I swallowed again and drank some milk. "I don't understand about divorce. Will you still be my parents?"

Mom and Dad turned towards me. Mom nodded, and Dad looked at me. "Of course. It's just that things are changing."

I grew mad. "I know that. You said you're going to become a woman. I knew that already. But, Billy has two moms, and he's fine. His lunches are cool. He always has fruit roll-ups. He shares."

Mom stared at Dad as if she just noticed he was at the table. I noticed. I knew that Dad was changing. He was shrinking, not getting shorter, but he was getting little. He had started wearing smaller clothes, and everything was brighter.

His smells had changed, too. Every time he kissed me goodnight, I could smell flowers. When he hugged me I knew he had boobs. One time, I saw him standing in front of the mirror in their bedroom without his shirt on. He was staring at them. He used both his hands and cupped them together. He didn't see me. I saw him smiling.

He didn't have a scratchy beard anymore. His hair was longer, and he brushed it differently. And he wore make-up. Just a little, kinda like mom. His eyes looked pretty that way.

But now, his eyes were all runny. Mom was crying, and her eyes looked okay.

"How come you don't look like a raccoon, Mom?"

She looked at me. She looked over at Dad. Then she smiled. "My mascara is waterproof. Your fathers isn't."

I looked at my Dad. "Then you need waterproof, too."

Mom looked at Dad. "He's still learning, Frankie."

Emily sat there. She looked at both our parents. "Why are you doing this to me? How can I go back to school? My friends were already asking me questions."

Dad shook his head. "That's why we're all going to counseling. You should mention that to Doctor Clark so she can help you with those questions."

Mom looked at Emily. "What questions?"

Emily looked down at her lap. "The kids wanted to know why Dad looks like a woman now."

Mom's lip quivered. "What did you tell them?"

Emily stared at Dad. "I said I didn't know why. When I asked Dad, he said he was in the wrong body. He said he was born in the wrong body. I can't tell my friends that. Bobby said he was going to cut off his wiener."

I think I laughed. Everyone looked at me. "Sorry." And then I giggled. It sounded so funny like we were all lined up at birth on some assembly line. And this machine in heaven dropped everyone into bodies and Dad was shoved into one that didn't fit.

The wiener thing didn't sound too good either. "How are you going to pee without a wiener? You know Dad's got boobs. I saw them. I can feel them when he hugs me. He smells nice too."

Emily looked at me and made that noise she makes whenever I walk into her room without knocking. "You are so eight. Oh, God." Then, she stared at Dad. "Why? What's wrong with you? Why can't things stay the way they were?"

Mom raised her voice. "Emily. Nothing stays the same. We all change."

Emily looked at Mom. "Don't you love each other anymore?"

Dad looked hurt and stared at Mom.

Mom looked at Dad. "It's different now. It's a different kind of love."

Emily was angry. "Is that why you're getting a divorce? Because you don't love each other anymore?"

Dad nodded. "Things aren't the same. Your mom understands but doesn't want to live with another woman."

I wondered about things not being the same. "But, you're still the same, aren't you? You're still going to be my Dad, right? Will you still make chicken fingers for dinner? Will you still wash our clothes? Where will you go?"

Dad looked at me. He just sat there crying.

Mom smiled. "You'll still have chicken fingers, and I will wash your clothes."

"You don't make chicken fingers like Dad does. I guess he can teach you. If Dad is still learning about mascara, will you learn about chicken fingers?"

Mom laughed. "Yes, I can learn about chicken fingers."

"How about fruit roll-ups? Will I start getting fruit roll-ups like Bobby?"

up
301 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Excellent writing skills

BarbieLee's picture

Leslie, your talent as a writer is great. The problem is this story feels empty. It smacks of a lead in or teaser for "now for the real story". I'm not sure where you were steering this puppy toward.
Hugs hon,
always
Barb

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

Sometimes, Barb,

Monique S's picture

We just need to get something of our mind, clear the air so to speak and get rid of some feelings. That is what this feels like to me.

I agree, though, that Leslie's writing is high class.

Love to both of you,
Monique.

Monique S

You are so right.

Thank you, BarbieLee & Monique for your compliments.

I agree that it's not a real story. A real story would have a resolution.

It's just a snapshot at the dinner table. I was thinking about the dinner table in the Norman Rockwell Thanksgiving illustration from the Saturday Evening Post.

Kid thinking

Samantha Heart's picture

Its a good story & a good plot. The kids dont understand everything thats going on sadly.

Love Samantha Renée Heart.

Chicken fingers

I think I prefer his point of view, it's self centered and not a part of what most people consider the real world but his acceptance is there, its still his dad even if hes a she now, so long as he gets his chicken fingers hes good.

Time is the longest distance to your destination.

And ...

Jezzi Stewart's picture

... a little child shall lead them. Great story!

BE a lady!

I agree with Jezzie

Dee Sylvan's picture

If only we could all look at things like an 8 year old. Priorities- chicken fingers, rollups, clean clothes. C'mon mom, get your priorities straight as well. Great story Leslie, just like all of your others! :DD

DeeDee

Ah, the important things in life.

WillowD's picture

Like fruit roll-ups and chicken fingers. I wonder if waterproof mascara qualifies as well?

Thank you

Very nice little story - very little told, but much was understood. I love the optimism and innocence of the child whose perspective the story is told from. This helped brighten my gloomy night.


Don't blame me, it was my cat!

The great unspoken tragedy...

laika's picture

The mom sounds like she's coping fairly well with the loss of the man she thought she married.
The daughter, like a typical teen is worried about how this will affect her standing at school.
The son doesn't understand much, but doesn't seem to see any reason why a man
can't become a woman. Hasn't been indoctrinated into the logic of transphobia.
Kids are cool that way...

But the great unspoken tragedy of this story is all those poor little chickens
running around without fingers.
~hugs, Veronica

I'm not sure...

...where this comes from, which part of a rich, wonderful imagination, but it's inspired!

Earth-shattering adult problems, viewed through the myopic mind of an eight-year-old -- Brilliant!

Snippet

Yes, it is more a snippet than a story. Yet it shows family dynamics and gives good insight into the wheels turning inside the 4 characters heads. Another example of why Leslie is one of the best writers on this site.

thank you

Thank you, all, for your kind words. Those are what keeps me writing for BigCloset.

I went to bed thinking about my friend. She is my inspiration and her show of strength through these tough times humbles me.

I woke up this morning and the story was there. It wrote itself.

Thank you Leslie.

Art immitates life. This story was less a "story" than an honest blessing. You are so wonderful sweet sweet Lez...

Hugs Bestie,
Stacy

Painful subject but so well done

Out of the mouths of babes....

Another treat like this one is welcome.

>>> Kay

Long list who can identify...

with this wonderfully told story for the wise, the children and those finding we're female.

Hugs, Jessie C

Jessica E. Connors

Jessica Connors

Bittersweet

If everyone could be as innocent as Frankie the world would be much friendlier. Sigh.

Well executed story, thank you.

wouldn't it be nice

it would be nice to have knowledge but no prejudice.

thanks

I Feel I'm there

Leslie, I missed this when you posted it. But in under 800 words, you have expressed a whole story.

KIaren

thank you

thank you for your kind words; it's what keeps me going!

A real good start

Jamie Lee's picture

This short lays the foundation that could turn into a really fine extended story. It shows why there is sadness in the house, and the interest of each member.

How will Emily handle problems she'll face at school, and will this show her who her real friends are? She's also going to have anger issues because of the divorce.

The son hasn't a clue what all of this really means, he only cares about his stomach. He doesn't understand how what dad is doing will affect him in school and the neighborhood. He only want his favorite food and what Bobby has for lunch.

If this sweet story was expanded it could dwell on how all of this affects their individual lives, how they learn to adjust and who their friends really are.

Others have feelings too.

You are right.

I see your point and maybe down the line, this could be expanded. Right now, all my time and energy is dedicated to getting my other projects finished.

Jessica Jade is almost ready for Amazon. I've expanded the story and smoothed out the edges. I'm pleased with the new chapters I've added since it was posted on BigCloset. It just needs a few more reads and it goes off to the editors.

After that, I'll work on my Wildcats series. I've got Wildcats 4 done and continue to rough in Wildcats 5 and 6. I'd like to finish up that project before the calendar year is up. The way it looks, that will finish the story I started back in 2017.

I'm back to working on NeverWorld, my next Sci-Fi story. It's still in development but looks promising.

Leslie

thank you, random solos

I somehow missed this before, very nice!

DogSig.png