Tommy - The Trials and Tribulations of a Girl? - Chapter 122

Printer-friendly version



Tommy
The Trials and Tribulations of a Girl?

A Novel By Teddie S.

Copyright © 2018 Teddie S.
All Rights Reserved.

Chapter 122
What happened. Finally at the resort.

We’d found out that Charlie had gotten a student assistant job. Thanks, Chief Tom.

Then on a walk along the Rio Grande River, we’d receive a gift from our two Bald Eagle friends, two pure white tail feathers. A local park ranger tried to confiscate them, and we helped him learn that Indians can possess the Eagle feathers.

Jackie accidentally met Tom. And Jackie also heard about Amy’s Wampanoag Tribe ancestor. Dr. Joe and I worked on the project. Amy and I had planned on going to the resort on Saturday, but just before we were to leave Amy answered a phone call.

When Amy had answered the phone, her side of the conversation went like this, “Hello” … “Yes, this is Amy.” … “Oh my God! I’ll be there as soon as I can. Bye.”

As she hung up the phone, we looked at each other, and I asked, “What’s wrong!?”

“There was a bad accident on the Interstate about twenty miles west of here. It involved a tour bus and a tractor-trailer. They're flying a number of the injured here by helicopter and bringing others by ambulance. And they’re going to need all the help they can get, so they’re calling people in.”

“Get going. I’ll call Aunt Ruth and tell her.”

“I love you.”

“I love you too.”

Amy turned to run out the door, and I asked, “No uniform?”

“No. It’ll take too long, they’ll have gowns for us.”

“What about shoes. Moccasins probably won’t be good.”

“Thanks. I’ll run upstairs and change.”

Amy quickly ran upstairs and was quickly back down wearing her nurse's shoes. She came over to me, gave me a big kiss, and said, “Honey, I’m sorry.”

“Don’t be. Things happen. We’ll run up after you finish.”

She turned and ran out the door. Twenty minutes later I heard a helicopter fly over. That’s strange. They usually land at the military base and run them over in an ambulance. I ran outside and watched as the helicopter set down on the other side of the hospital. There’s a student parking lot there, and being Saturday, there probably wasn’t any cars in it. It wasn’t ten minutes later that the helicopter took off and flew west.

A short time after the first helicopter had taken off another helicopter flew in and landed in the same place. And was quickly up and going back west.

That started bringing people out of the apartments around us. Charlie was one of the first. He saw me standing outside and walked over, and asked, “What the heck is going on.”

“There was a bad accident out on the Interstate, and they’re flying the injured in by helicopter.”, I replied. “Amy got a call from the hospital at about seven and ran over there. I think that their calling in all the help they can find.”

“Wow. That’s crazy.”

Jackie finally walked over, and we told her what was going on. And, she said, “I wish I could help.”

“Jackie, your time will come.”, I replied.

We ended up with almost everyone from the married student apartments standing in front of our apartment. And I had to explain what was going on a number of times.

Finally, I walked over to our patio with Charlie and Jackie. I sat on one of the chairs and Charlie sat on the other with Jackie on his lap. We watched as more helicopters made the trip to the hospital.

There were maybe eight or nine more helicopter flights into the hospital. Then we heard sirens in the area of the hospital, and I said, “Probably more victims from the accident.”

“It must have been terrible.”, Jackie said.

“That’s what Amy said before she ran over there.”

“I wish I could help.”

“You’ll have enough time to do that with your clinicals and after you graduate.”

“Will I?”

I looked at Jackie, and said, “Jackie, what did I tell you?”

“I know, Kai. I’m still trying to figure out everything that you told me.”

“It time you will. You need to realize what your potential is and run with it.”

“Kai. How do you know these things?”

I smiled, and said, “Jackie, I don’t know how I know these things. I tell people that ask, that I see things, I feel things, and I know things that I have no way of knowing, yet I know.”

Things started to calm down, at least as far as the helicopters were concerned. Charlie and Jackie went back to their apartment, and I went back inside. And over the next hour, only a couple more helicopters flew in.

I called Aunt Ruth and told her what was going on and that we’d be up later. She said just to come up when we could. I then turned on the television to see if there was any coverage of the crash. And I couldn’t find anything. I just sat there waiting for Amy to come back.

A little over three hours after Amy had left, I heard the front door open, and Amy walked in carrying her shoes. She looked beat. She looked at me, and said, “That was intense!”

“I bet it was.”

“I need a shower and a new pair of shoes. But, first I need a hug.”

I walked over to her, she set her shoes down, and we just held each over for a couple of minutes. As we hugged, I whispered, “Are you alright?”

“Yeah. I think so. But, it just feels so good to be safe in your arms.”

“They’ll always be here for you.”

“I know, love. I know.”

“Go get your shower, and we’ll worry about the shoes later. Then we’ll get some lunch, and run up to the resort. A good soak in one of the pools will do you a world of good.”

“Oh, will it!”

Amy ran upstairs. I called Aunt Ruth and told her we’d be up as soon as Amy got a shower, and we got lunch.

I walked over to the front door and looked at Amy’s nurse shoes. They were no longer white, but red.

I waited until Amy had gotten out of the shower then I walked upstairs. I found her in the bedroom, just looking at herself in the mirror. I asked, “Are you all right?”

“Yeah.”, Amy said. “I think. But, I’m now a surgical nurse.”

“Huh?”

“I assisted in two surgeries right in the ER. There were two surgeons there, and they were doing things that needed to be done quickly, and I got grabbed to assist one of them. I heard one of the surgeons say he hadn't done surgery like this since Korea.”

“That bad?”

“Yeah. We lost three of the ones that they brought in, one was gone when they arrived, and two died while we were working on them. And I guess there were a few on the scene that they pronounced there.”

“Wow.”

“Yeah. Wow.”

“Get dressed. You need a good soak.”

While Amy dressed, I finished putting things in the car. Once we had the apartment locked up, we headed to our favorite drive-in. And of course, our favorite carhop, Jimmy, was there. As he ran up to the car, he asked, “Did you hear about the crash?”

“Sure.”, I said. “The hospital called Amy into the hospital to help.”

“Yeah. They called my mom too. There sure were a lot of helicopters.”

“I figured a dozen flights or so.”

“So what can I get you.”

We ordered and sat listening to the radio. I don’t think Amy wanted to talk right now. But I wish we could have cuddled, but two girls cuddling wouldn’t look good.

Jimmy brought our food and said, “We just heard that eight people died in that crash, and a whole bunch were hurt.”

“Tell me about it.”, Amy said. “We were doing surgery right in the ER.”

“Wow. I’m glad I’m not a nurse.”

“I’m glad I am. I can help people.”

Jimmy ran off to another car. And we ate our lunch. As we were eating a news broadcast came on, and the talked about the crash but didn’t mention much about the number of injured, other than to say that the critically injured were flown by helicopter to Albuquerque.

After we’d finished eating, we headed north to the resort. Right after we’d gone a short distance, Amy moved over next to me and cuddled close. I put my arm around her. I think she needed this. And, she was soon asleep.

Amy slept until I turned into the resort. She woke up, kissed me on the cheek, and said, “Tommy, I love you.”

“I love you too, Amylin.”, I replied.

We pulled up to my aunt and uncle’s house and walked in. Aunt Ruth was in the kitchen working on something, she looked at us, smiled, and said, “Hi kids. You’ve had a rough morning. Haven’t you Ajie.”

“Yes, Aunt Ruth.”, Ajie replied. “Probably the toughest one yet.”

“I’ll get our stuff.”, I said.

“Wait a minute.”, Aunt Ruth said. “We have a weekend retreat here this weekend, and I know you like your privacy. The pools will be busy, so we’ve set you up in one of the Cliffside Suites with a private soaking tub.”

“Aunt Ruth.”, Amy said. “You didn’t have to do that.”

“Honey, yes we did.”

“Thank you so much.”

“It’s our pleasure.”

“Your uncle is working at registration trying to keep the retreat quests happy. Stop and see him, and he’ll give you your key. Then be back here for dinner, your Aunt Ginny and Uncle Gaagii will be here.”

“Aunt Ginny and Uncle Gaagii. Really!?”, I said.

“Yes, honey. And they’re spending the night.”

“That’s great. Oh, are you still having the bonfires?”

“Yes. Need to meditate?”

“Always.”

“Now, get going and don’t be late for dinner.”

“We won’t. Thanks again, Aunt Ruth.”

Amy and I walked to the hotel and saw Uncle Paul in an animated conversation with a couple of guests. Instead of walking up to the counter, we walked over and looked at the display of Grandpa Nez’s tools and silver. Aunt Ruth had added a couple of things. There was a small but prominent 'Not for Sale' sign in the case, a few small cards were telling what things were, and a nice framed write up telling a little bit about the Navajo silversmiths was on top of the case.

When Uncle Paul finished with the guests, we walked over, he saw us, smiled, and said, “It’s sure nice to see two friendly faces.”

“Was it that bad, Uncle Paul?”, I asked.

“You don’t know the half of it. I’ll be thrilled when tomorrow is over.”

“We’ll try to cheer you up.”

“The two of you do that just by being here.” He then picked up two keys, handed them to me, and said, “From what I hear, Ajie. You need a good relaxing soak.”

“Like you said, Uncle Paul.”, Ajie replied. “You don’t know the half of it.”

“See you two at dinner. Oh, one last thing.”

“What’s that?”, I asked.

“It’s a religious group that’s here this weekend.”

“Is that a problem?”

“I figure that you’re going to meditate at the bonfire tonight.”

“You figured correctly, Uncle Paul.”

“That will probably raise some eyebrows.”

“Maybe we shouldn’t meditate.”

“No. You should. And you will.”, Uncle Paul said with a little smile. “You’re guests here too. And maybe seeing you the group won’t come back.”

“Uncle Paul!”, Ajie and I said together.

“A guy can hope. Can’t he?”

We then walked back to the house and moved our car closer to the Cliffside Suites. Then we took all of our things to our room.

We love these rooms. There’s a king size bed, a full bath, a Kiva fireplace with a couch in front of it, and a table with two chairs. There was also a private patio, with a soaking tub, which faces the cliffs. And like the rest of the resort, it was built out of adobe and decorated in a Southwestern theme.

We set everything down, Amy walked out on the private patio, checked the soaking tub, looked at me, quickly stripped her clothes off, and with a cute smile said, “Come and join me.”

She didn’t have to ask twice, I quickly stripped off my clothes, and joined her in the tub.

We just relaxed in the warm mineral waters for a half an hour. After we were out of the soaking tub and dried off, the bed called to us.

An hour or so later we were lying cuddled together on the bed with Ajie’s head resting on my chest. Ajie whispered, “Tommy. Lover. You help me relax better than any soaking tub. You took my mind completely off this morning.”

“I’m glad.”, I said. “I was a worried about you, and figured a good foot massage would do you a lot of good..”

“I know you were worried.”, Ajie said. “And that’s so sweet. But I was fine. And the foot massage was wonderful.”

“We’d better get our showers. Get dressed, and see if we can help Aunt Ruth with dinner.”

After our showers, we both dressed in fancy long skirts, fancy blouses, and wrap moccasins. Ajie did her hair in a single braid, and I did mine in a double braid. We both used the fancy wraps with feathers and beading at the ends of our braids. We went light on the jewelry, for now, both of us wore Concho belts, bracelets, and rings. And, as we walked to my aunt and uncle’s house, I carried the camera bag with other jewelry in it.

We walked through the hotel lobby on the way to the house. And our friend Shilah was working the desk, Ajie and I together said, Yá'át'ééh, nizhonigó íiná aadóó hozhónahasdlíí, Shilah.” (Hello! It is good, and all is harmony around us.)

Shilah looked up, smiled, and said in return, “Yá'át'ééh, nizhonigó íiná aadóó hozhónahasdlíí, Miss Kai and Miss Ajie. It’s good to see you again.”

“It’s good to see too, Shilah.”, I said.

“Are you here for long?”

“Unfortunately no. Only one night.”

“That’s unfortunate. You bring happiness with you.”

“Thank you, Shilah. That’s very nice.”

“It’s just the truth, Miss Kai.”

“We’ll see you later, Shilah.”

“Have a good evening.”

“You too.”

We finished the walk to the house. In doing so, we encountered a few of the guests from the retreat. They were dressed in a very plain way. The women were in long, but plain dark skirts, very plain blouses, and no jewelry or makeup. The men all wore dark suits and ties.

And, the looks we got were like we were used cars on a car dealers lot. Even though we smiled, and said, “Hello.” We received no smiles or hellos in return.

As we walked up to the house there was a car there with Arizona license plates on it, so I figured that my Aunt Ginny and Uncle Gaagii were here. And, I was right. As we walked into the kitchen, my two aunts and two uncles were sitting at the table talking.

After all of the greetings, I asked, “Uncle Paul, are you sure it’s safe for Ajie and me to sit at the bonfire and meditate?”

“Yes. Why?”

“Some of the looks we got walking over here weren’t nice.”

“Kai, there won’t be a problem. I know I’ll have some explaining to do. But, so be it.”

“We don’t have to meditate.”

“Yes, you do. You need to.”

Ajie and I helped Aunt Ruth and Aunt Ginny put together what Aunt Ruth called a super nacho. This nacho consisted of various flavors of tortilla chips, with Pico de Gallo salsa, topped with beef and beans, and a cheese sauce. We also made jalapeno cheddar cornbread. For dessert, we made New Mexico sopapillas and covered them with honey.

Can you say that dinner was delicious? You bet you can!

As we ate, I brought up renewing my driver's license problem to my Uncle Gaagii.

“You have an Ohio drivers license. Don’t you?”, he asked.

“Of course.”

“There shouldn’t be a problem once you can prove residency in New Mexico, and I think that you can do that.”

“Ah. Uncle Gaagii, look at me. My Ohio license says, Thomas Young. Sex male.”

“Oh. Yeah. I forgot. That might be a small problem.”

“You think.”

“Do you have any ID with Kai Nez on it?”

“My university ID and my college records.”

“Hmm. Would you be willing to take a drivers test?”

“I guess. I didn’t have any problems with Ohio’s test.”

“Let’s see. You live in New Mexico. If you lived in Arizona, I might have been able to pull some strings. So, you’d need to take it here.”

“Should the car I use have New Mexico plates?”

“It would be better.”

“Grandma’s car is still here, and we got plates for it just before she passed.”, Uncle Paul said.

“I’ve got until next July, but I’d feel better with a license that matches how I look.”

“Good idea.”, Uncle Gaagii said. “Let me make some calls and see what else you might need other than a student ID and the college transcript.”

“Thanks, Uncle Gaagii. I really appreciate this,”

“My pleasure Kai.”

“Ready to go to the bonfire?”, Uncle Paul asked.

I looked at him, and said, “Are you sure that there won’t be a problem from the people from the retreat?”

“Kai.”, Uncle Paul said. “It won’t be that bad. Besides, there are other guests that will appreciate what you and Ajie are doing.”

I looked at Ajie, she had her cute smile, and said, “Come on Kai. You know you want to meditate.”

As I stood up, I said, “Okay. Come on Ajie, let’s get pretty.”

I picked up the camera bag, and Ajie and I walked back to the room that we usually use. We both added a squash blossom necklace. I went with the Concho bone choker, Ajie went with the new choker. We both put on the matching silver feather earrings. Then we both added the braided leather headbands with the Eagle feather. Another ring or two never hurt and neither does another bracelet.

I then picked up a rug, folded it, placed it over my arm, and we walked back into the kitchen. Aunt Ginny was the first to see us, and said, “My oh my. Girls, who are you trying to impress?”

I grinned, as I said, “Uncle Paul. … Ah. Where is Uncle Paul?”

“He went on to the bonfire.”, Aunt Ruth said.

“Okay. You three coming with us?”

“Of course.”

The five of us walked out of the house and towards where the bonfire was. It was dark, but I didn't see any glow from the fire. And I asked, “Aunt Ginny, the bonfire isn’t lit?”

“Uncle Paul wants you to light it again.”, Aunt Ginny replied.

As we walked closer to the bonfire area, Ajie and I stopped by where we usually sit, and we placed the rug there. Then we walked over to where my uncle was standing. There was someone else standing there too. Naainish. I should have guessed that he’d show up. And I’m surprised he wasn’t at the house for dinner.

As we walked up to my uncle and Naainish, I said, “Yá’át’ééh alní'íní, Naainish.” (Good evening, Naainish.)

Naainish smiled and said, “Yá’át’ééh alní'íní, Kai dóó Ajie.”

My uncle handed both Ajie and me a long match and something to strike it on, and said, “You know what to do.”

Ajie and I walked over to the where we’d started the fire before, we struck our matches, and ignited the kerosene. The small pieces of wood near the kerosene were soon burning, followed by larger and larger pieces of wood. As the fire grew bigger, Ajie and I backed away from it. Finally, we walked over to where we like to sit and meditate.

We both sat on the rug and concentrated on the fire. I noticed my uncle talking to a few people. But then Naainish started chanting, and I turned my attention to the fire. Then I joined Naainish in the chant, and Ajie soon joined in.

When we finished the chant, I looked towards where my uncle had been standing with a group of people, and that group was now smaller. Much smaller.

Ajie and I stood up, I picked up the rug, folded it, and placed it over my arm. Then we walked to where my uncle and everyone else was standing.

The guests that remained walked up to us, and we talked about everything from how we were dressed to the chanting that we did. And we enjoyed talking with them.

As all of us, including Naainish, were walking back towards the house, I asked, “Uncle Paul, what happened? There were fewer people there when we finished meditating than when we started.”

“I explained to the guests who you were and what you were doing.”, my uncle said. “And that this area was very sacred to the native people and has strong spirits, and that you come here from time to time to pray and meditate.

“Most of the guests were fine with it and thought that it was very interesting.

“But some others, the ones from the retreat, were very unhappy. Unhappy to the point of one of them saying that you were godless beings and that you’d burn in hell.”

I stopped, looked at my uncle, and said, “Godless! Burn in hell! May the Great Spirit strike them …

~o~O~o~

Dear readers, Remember authors like comments. And even constructive criticism. Please leave a comment. Want to comment but don't want to open an account? Anyone can log in as Guest Reader -- with a password of topshelf to leave a comment. Thanks.

up
300 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

"May the Great Spirit strike them!"

Monique S's picture

That is storng stuff, coming from Kai! I hope the Great Spirit sees to it, that they do not end up in the ER where Amy works.

Another good chapter, Teddie, thanks.
Monique.

Monique S

Thanks, Monique. They really

Thanks, Monique. They really got to Kai's ire up this time. Hopefully calmer head will prevail.

Whoa!

My5InchFMHeels's picture

I hope Kai stops that comment before her anger makes her wish ill on someone. I get it though, we all lose our temper, perhaps she'll reign it in, in time to bless them with enlightenment. Not ME, that old phrase, "I do not suffer fools lightly!" causes me to generally end up in arguments, that end in a "Great Carnac" type of curse.

May the Great Spirit strike

May the Great Spirit strike them with true knowledge of their ignorant ways. They certainly seem to have much need for it. Maybe as Uncle Paul will realize his dream and never have to work with this group again, nor others like them as I am sure the word will spread about them being "heathens". :-)

We could only hope that the

We could only hope that the word of the heathens will keep people like this away.

An interesting c;iffhanger,

Can' remember waiting to see how someone finishes a cuss out before.

I'm just hoping that Kai

I'm just hoping that Kai stops herself before she finishes her thought.

Polarized times...

I remember a time not too long ago that people respected others and their beliefs even when they differed. My experience in seminary was that some Native American believing in Christ to also go on a quest.
The conflict wasn't between the Spirits, but those who brought their judgment denied what others we experiencing.
Thanks for this story.

Jessie C

Jessica E. Connors

Jessica Connors

Embracing arms welcomed

Jamie Lee's picture

Kai's embracing arms were what Amy needed when she came home from the emergency. And their love making at the resort helped her even more. Kai needs to keep a close eye on Amy for any signs of PTSD, and get her help quickly at the first signs.

Oy vey, pots calling the kettle black. Those folks know nothing of what Kai and Amy were doing at the bon fire but because they were doing something different than what the pots believed, decided they knew Kai and Amy's afterlife destination.

People like those need a good dose of reflections in a mirror to see they themselves could be headed south after their demise, simply by judging others who don't measure up to their beliefs. And they themselves will be judged by the standards they used in judging others. Maybe someone should remind them they aren't God?

What they said about Kai and Amy set Kai on fire, hopefully they won't say it to her face, it will be a mistake they won't soon forget. One which might do them some good.

Others have feelings too.