The Huntress - Chapter 7

Printer-friendly version
woman-1081873__340.jpg

The drive over to Brenda’s didn’t seem to take as long in Brent’s car as it did mine. Fun to drive. Also an attention magnet from the public and the police. I drove like grandma on
her way to church. If the police saw me they could still fabricate an excuse to pull me over.

Brenda met me as I walked into her dress shop. She reached out, took my hands and studied me. “Joan out did herself…, wait let me rephrase that. She heightened what you already had. Okay, enough dallying, Kathy called and is dying to see you. Let’s get you ready for your grand entrance at the Gardens.”

Trish was there, more than willing to help. Telling Brenda the pierced earrings wasn’t possible because my ears would heal up as soon as they were removed didn’t stop her. Telling her I didn’t like heels didn’t stop her insisting on a four inch peach colored
stiletto heel. Telling her I didn’t usually wear much jewelry didn’t stop her from adding rings and bracelets, and a necklace.

Ankle length for sophisticated eloquence, the silk peach colored dress clung to my body like paint. It had a side slit clear up to…, so I could walk. The plunging neck line draped across my breasts. Shall we say Brenda went overboard in emphasizing everything my body was endowed with?

The perfume she spritzed me with, she said was named Capture. It was supposed to pull in men’s imagination. I didn’t tell her the scent didn’t have that pheromone in it. The other thing is one wouldn’t want to leave that scent turned on full time even if one was on
the prowl for a mate. Pick one and then turn on the scent. I’d kill them in the perfume business except I was going for low key hidden instead of spotlight business tycoon. That reminded me to remind Brent and Kathy no pictures at the restaurant of me for the papers.

Brenda and Trish were looking more and more like deer in the headlights as they added their artistic talents to my body. When they finished with the final portrait I believe both were genuinely shocked at what they had accomplished. Brenda took several pictures.

“You can’t publish those or use them for advertising unless you cut my face out of them.”

She nodded knowing why I had said what I did. “For my own private collection. Didn’t think of them that way. If I do, I’ll respect your request.”

“Keep our secret. If you say anything it will probably get me killed.” I was looking at Trish.

Her eyes got a little bigger, she swallowed before she answered. “I won’t say anything besides I met a very beautiful woman.”

My final accessory from Brenda was a peach color shoulder purse. She assured me it already contained all the necessary items women usually carry courtesy of Joan. I transferred the restaurant and car keys to it. My jeans, shirt, and sneakers were put in a plastic bag.

Driving back to the restaurant, I knew my time was getting shorter by the day. I only hoped to have the restaurant problems solved before I had to run. I figured a month, maybe less. Sighing, I shook my head and felt the earrings bounce against my neck. It felt nice. Too bad earrings and me didn’t get along together or I would wear them more often.

It was a little after ten when I parked Brent’s car and walked in the front door. Marco looked up, blinked and blinked again. “Madame Nova, are you taking over now?”

“Not now, Marco. After twelve. Is everything okay?”

“Certainly Madame. I look forward to working under your directions.”

That one almost brought out a giggle from me. The scent Marco was giving off, that wasn’t all he was thinking of having under him. “Thank you Marco. I’m going to check in with our bosses, swing by the club, and kitchen before it’s time.

I knew Pete wouldn’t be in the kitchen. His shift started at five and ended at one. I planned on moving Pete to the evening dinner crowd. It was the evening customers who seemed to be more into the culinary foods, which I knew Pete excelled at. He was a chef’s chef, from all the info I could dig up on him. The world had stomped on him so many times he fell into depression and no longer cared about living or anything else. If I could manage to survive, so could Pete. I was positive our evening customer base would double in no time at all. Harold would be in the bar as his shift started at four and ended at twelve although he seemed to live there. I knew it was because he really cared and was trying his best to hold things together for Brent and Kathy.

Over at the buffet tables, there were four men from an outside company working to get the tables back up to specs. Kathy must have called them in already. When the restaurant shuts down tonight a cleaning company would come in and high pressure steam blast those buffets cleaning them up before moving into the kitchen to do the same. They wouldn’t be able to get the job done before the morning crew moved in to start getting ready for the diners. Didn’t make any difference, we had to start someplace. It would have been nice to shut this place down for two weeks and renovate it. The monetary loss would be the dagger into the heart of this place. Hopefully we would be clean enough to pass the door shutting offenses by the time the news this place was under new management hit city hall. I was positive we would be swarmed by inspectors intent on shutting us down or keeping their bribe money flowing. We would be nailed with violations for sure. Just not the big ones. It would be the fire marshal who would take his best shot at us. With the range hoods and vents cleaned, the Halon system reinstalled, and all the fire sprinklers, fire alarms, updated or replaced, I was going to be ahead of him too. Of course he would tag us for some offense. They can always dream up something when they are pissed and nothing is wrong. I wasn’t going to enlighten them Brent’s lawyers would be following all the inspectors around. I would pass on the world of political games if it were possible. Sometimes it wasn’t. I missed the old days when killing someone solved the problem.

Harold was watching the crowd when I walked into the bar. He turned to look at me and his eyes kept getting bigger. Human nature when they see something they like, similar to a camera aperture lens, the eyes open up to take in more of what they are seeing. The more pleasing to the mind, the wider the eyes get. Harold’s eyes were pretty big.

“May I come into the club?” Was the question as I walked up to him.

“Do you have an ID?” Harold’s eyes were dancing in an amused way.

“Fraid not. You see, I was in an accident and it was lost.”

“Sorry ma’am, no ID, no admittance.” His face looked like it was going to split with his wide smile.

Time to get serious. “You need more help. Just you taking care of the restaurant entry and the front street entry isn’t going to hack it from now on. When word gets out the money from stealing is no longer flowing from this place the police will be looking to shut us down. They will be sending in underage kids who look like adults. Then they follow up by coming in for a sweep and checking IDs. We need three more checking IDs full time from now on. If those wanting in don’t look like they are forty or older make sure they have a valid ID. Do you have three people you can vouch for who would want the job? I don’t want to take a chance on open hiring”

“Seriously? You think it is going to get rough?” Harold had got serious himself.

“Harold, it is going to get more than rough. They will try every dirty trick in the book to get back at us.”

He was in deep thought for a few seconds. “I know three people who might work. I’ll call them and have them come in and see you for an interview.”

“I’ll talk to Kathy about this. Have them get in touch with her. I’ll try and sit in on the interviews.”

“Is it sexist or going to get me fired if I ask the new manager if she will marry me?” He got a Canary eating grin on his face.

“Of course, but I can’t fire you because I don’t have anyone to fill in who can do your job. Harold, all joking aside, I’m not going to date any employees. Park your trolling motor and accept we are friends. Please.”

“Nova, I’ll treasure your friendship until the day I die. Thank you for thinking of me that way.”

I gave him a hug before heading for the docks. “Eyes open, stay alert, storm clouds and rough seas ahead.”

Only two men were on the loading dock when I walked out. There was a pallet with canned goods, meat, and liquor cradled by a forklift. Surprise was the first expression on their faces. Then confidence as they collected their wits. They didn’t recognize me as I approached them. The first to figure it out was the man on the right. Shock and fear flashed on the face of the man. The other man was only seconds behind. In their minds I was the woman Bolt had roasted.

Fright flight was the overpowering smell coming off both as I stopped right in front of them. “Don’t’ run, you won’t get more than half a step before I take you down.”

“y,,,y…, dead!” The one with Dan on his nametag blurted out.

“Yeah, I heard about that. Sorry, that was my twin sister. I can tell you I’m really pissed you guys hired Bolt to kill her.

“We didn’t hire Bolt. He was brought in by our boss.”

“SHUT UP YOU STUPID IDIOT!” Rick was screaming at Dan.

Slipping my hand inside my purse, I gave the two men my ‘lunch is served’ smile. “Try and run I will kill you. When is the truck supposed to arrive you were going to put that pallet in?”

They hesitated as they looked at each other.

“If I shoot you or drive a heel into your hip. Your days of walking without a cane or walker is over. Shall I start a countdown? Three…”

“Should be here now.” Dan offered up.

“YOU STUPID ASS! SHE WOULDN’T SHOOT US!” Rick was screaming at Dan again.

I kicked him between the legs with the point of my shoe. If my aim was perfect and the blow delivered hard enough, his days of breeding offspring were over. The range of emotions on one’s face when things go completely out of the range of normal senses is fascinating.

He looked shocked, stunned, then sick. “ohhhhhhhhhhh”

When he doubled over to hold his family jewels, I brought both fists down on the back of his head driving him face first into the dock. Rick was through. My attention focused on Dan who was still ready to run. “Don’t. I’m faster than you and not a very nice person if I have to chase someone down. When that truck gets here, you act normal. Your friend drank too much and passed out if the driver asks. You invited me out here to keep both of you company. Because you guys killed my sister I’ll have no problem returning the favor to everyone who works here. You’ll be the first unless your buddy is dead. Then you’ll be second. Are we understanding one another?”

Speech was beyond Dan by that point as he nodded his head. Terrified was on his face along with the smell he was giving off. I was kinda surprised he hadn’t lost control of his bladder, he was that scared. Taking his arm I led him over to the pallet and found a bottle of vodka. Walking over to Rick I opened it and poured some on him.

Then I handed the bottle to Dan. “Take a big drink.”

Wide eyed, he took the bottle and tipped it up never taking his eyes off me. He did take a big long drink and was coughing and hacking when he held the bottle out.

Taking the bottle I reached over the pallet and poured most of it out on what was there. “When that driver arrives this is your story. Rick got drunk and passed out. I’m the slut you two invited to share a bottle after you two got to drinking. Do you know where this pallet is going?”

He slowly shook his head as he stared at me.

“Ask the driver where this crate it going. Get as much information as you can. I’d like to have an address and names. If I have to extract them from the driver it may get very bloody and pieces may get removed which can’t be reattached. If it comes to that I may feel you didn’t do your share which means you’ll be donating body parts also.”

“Do you understand the only reason you and your friend are still alive after killing my sister is I want everyone involved. Don’t piss me off any more than I already am.”

There was a wet spot spreading down Dan’s pant leg. “Bolt will kill us!”

“I have it on good authority Bolt left town for a more permanent opportunity. You better stop thinking of what Bolt would do and worry about what I will do if you screw this up.”

“Here, this is what you and your friend had been sampling. Take it and hold onto it. When that driver arrives this is going to look like a real party.”

Harold came out onto the dock carrying a shotgun. He gave the scene a quick glance and was about to say something.

I shook my head. “Hi, you must be Harold. My sister told me about you. Did she tell you about me? I’m Jodi, Nova’s twin sister. She told me what was going on. I stopped by to talk to her. These guys admitted she was killed.”

The range of emotion that played across Harold’s face was even broader than what Rick had expressed. Bless Harold’s experience and instinct as he immediately clued into what was happening. “Yeah, Shelly told me a girl who looked exactly like Nova had walked out to the docks and hadn’t returned. You’re Jodi? Yeah, your sister mentioned you although we didn’t get to talk much. She didn’t mention you were twins.”

He glanced at Rick still lying on the dock and then over at Dan. “You need me to watch these two or what are you planning?”

“I have it under control out here. I am waiting for more information to come driving in to pick up that pallet. Please tell those who need to know Nova’s sister is here. Whoever is in charge of this place can send out the security to take these guys into custody. AFTER, the driver and I have a talk.”

Harold mulled it over and then grinned. “Are you sure?”

“Oh yes, I’m definitely more than sure. They killed my sister. I’m going to find out every last name and person involved.”

Dan was losing his fear. “You have no idea who you’re messing with, you stupid broad. Your stupid sister was poking around where she didn’t belong. She was lucky Bolt killed her. If they don’t send Bolt after you, they have a couple more who are as bad. You’re toast you stupid bitch.”

He looked over at Harold. “I know who you are. You’re dead too you stupid fuck. I’ll tell them you know too much. You’ll end up like that stupid bitch Bolt turned into burnt roast.”

Harold looked shocked as his eyes flicked in my direction and then back to Dan. “Bring it on. I’m tired of this cat and mouse game.”

Motioning toward the doors, I hoped to get Harold reporting to the others what was going down. “I’ve got this. The driver is supposed to be here any minute. Be sure to tell everyone who needs to know, Nova’s twin Jodi is here.”

Dan was beginning to realize these stupid people had no idea who they were up against. “You’re so dead you stupid bitch.”

Pointing back toward the doors I shook my head. “You’re the idiot. Everything is on security tape.”

“Ha, ha, ha, ha. You haven’t got any idea how this works do you? When Eddie gets here he will call Joe and have him erase the memory out of those files. Joe doesn’t even have to come in and do it. He changed everything so all he has to do is phone it in. You’re so fucked. You can’t even get into his office to stop him. He changed all the locks on his office and the security system and all the security codes. He is the only one who can access security. The only time you people get to see what is going on is when he allows it.”

A grin spread across his face. “I hope they let me enjoy my time with you before they kill you.”

“Change of plans.” Stepping up beside Dan I brought my right elbow up and brought it forward as I spun into him. Connecting on his left temple his lights were out before he went flying over to bounce heavily on the dock.

“Kathy, that promise is crimping my style.” I headed for Joe’s security office. Steel door, in a steel frame bracketed in a concrete wall, it certainly lived up to its purpose. Removing my heels and lifting up the hem of my dress to my waist I thanked Brenda for the long slit in the side as I raised up my foot. Facing the door I spun in a circle, pulling my right foot up and back. Putting all my body mass against that door as I unleashed my kick, the door folded. Newton figured it out. Mass times velocity squared equals energy. All the energy I had generated was focused on one point.

Walking into the office I spotted the security storage drive encased in a steel box with a coil around it. “DAMN! Even if nothing else worked Joe could initiate a magnetic field and fry the records.” Yanking the box off the shelf I pulled all the wires out of it. Using my nails I sliced across the coil before I drove a nail into the lock and pried. The box popped open. Removing the memory chips I carried them outside and put them up over the doorframe leading back into the restaurant. If Joe had that office wired with an explosive I didn’t want the data to go up with the blast. Yes I was paranoid but being really careful had kept me alive this long.

A vehicle was slowing down out in the street. Grabbing a bottle of whiskey off the pallet I walked back over to where I was between Dan and Rick and plopped down cross legged on the dock.

A box van pulled into the parking lot and backed up to the dock after the passenger opened the rear cargo doors. The guy who had opened the doors stepped up on the dock as the driver was getting out. “Crap! These guys are going to be so busted for getting into the liquor. How long has this been going on?”

Holding up the bottle I sloshed the whiskey around, and slurred my speech. “hyyy guzzs, purty tum.” Then giggled like a little girl.

The driver stepped upon the dock. He pointed at me. “Who the hell are you?” He looked at the guy he brought with him. “The whore is a looker. We’ll toss her into the van along with the liquor. She can be a party favor for Wisdale.”

He pulled out his phone. “I’ll call Joe and tell him there is some security that needs to be erased.” He pushed a button. “Check the tapes at the Garden.”

Putting his hands on his hips he looked at the pallet. “This sucks. Hell, let’s get it loaded. Rick and Dan aren’t going to be any help.”

Flopping my arm around I motioned them over. “hhh guz, cus ear. Isss gots sum…, ten tuh err yu…, talls yu.”

Bless human curiosity because they both walked over to where I was. The driver was glaring at me. “What do you want, you stupid whore?”

“SURPRISE!” I rolled forward onto my hands, straightened out flat just above the concrete, spun in a circle with my legs straight out taking both of them off their feet. Jumping up I grabbed the passenger guy by his jacket. Yanking him a couple inches up off the deck I flat palmed his forehead driving it back into the dock. If he wasn’t out he would be so addled he would no longer be a threat.

The driver was struggling to his feet.

“Oh no you don’t.” I launched as I lowered my shoulder driving into his chest. We both went skidding across the dock. I’ll give him credit as he was instantly trying to get on top of the situation.

Though we were both down, he grabbed the front of my dress pulling me forward as he power drove his right fist into my face.

“That’s no way to treat a lady.” I pulled back my right arm and…, he was going to need some dental work. He was through.

Standing up I surveyed the scene. The four guys were still down and out. My dress and nylons, were ragged and torn like I had been in a fight. I giggled. “Well?” The blood running from my nose down to my chin had already stopped flowing.

Brent and Kathy along with Harold came running out of the club. All armed to the teeth. All three skidded to a halt as they looked over the docks. Shock plainly on all three faces.

Kathy was headed my direction her eyes getting bigger with each step. “Nova…”

I held up my hand. “I’m sorry, I’m Jodi, Nova’s twin. I can understand the confusion.”

Kathy was in front of me, reached up to touch my face. “No…, Jodi, are you okay? That looks painful.”

“Smeared my makeup is all. I don’t want anyone to think I have been damaged. In less than a half hour all the bruises and swelling will be gone. Mutant would be the first thing to come to mind. It was the reason I had to let them kill Nova and replace her with Jodi. Everyone on the dock saw Bolt kill Nova. Her return would scream mutant. The government would swarm this place with a thousand soldiers and police.”

Kathy picked at pieces of my dress. “You don’t plan on taking over tonight do you?”

“Yep. Although Brenda is going to kill me for ruining this dress. Sorry Kathy, one of the reasons I wear rough rugged clothes. They get tossed when they are ruined and the cost doesn’t hurt that much.”

Kathy nodded. “Okay, you said you had a couple dresses. They will have to do for tonight. What about your face?”

Looking at Brent I pointed to the guys on the dock. “Tie them up or whatever to secure them. Call your friends in that security company and get them over here to figure out what to do with this mess before calling the police. Document everything. Oh, that reminds me.”

I walked over to the door leading back into the club and took the memory chips off the top door frame. “Joe can or could erase everything by phone. I removed these from the security storage. I strongly suggest no one go into that room until a bomb sniffing dog has been brought in. It could be rigged. I didn’t smell anything but the old saying, safe rather than sorry works.”

Handing the chips to Brent, Kathy was pulling on my hand. “Let’s get up to the suite and get you cleaned up. You look like you’ve been in a fight. I don’t want you looking like that when the new help starts arriving in the morning. You would scare them off.”

That caused me to laugh. “HA! Kathy, I have been in a fight. God, did it feel good. I wish there had been a dozen more.”

Brent and Harold had been about to inspect the men. Their heads snapped up as they focused in on me. Both looked shocked until they started laughing. Harold took a step away from me. “Brent, if she comes our way, you’re on your own ol buddy. I’m running. If I can outrun you I might live.”

Brent shook his head. “I doubt I can outrun her. I’m going to fall over and play possum. She’ll forget me as a moving target is always more of a challenge. Guess who she will be chasing?”

Kathy closed her eyes as a smile spread across her face. “Our big brave men afraid of one little girl. Who is to protect us poor damsels in distress now? Where have all the honorable Knights of old gone?”

That polished off a perfect evening as both Kathy and I got to laughing along with the guys.

“Brent, collect phones, billfolds, and anything else with data on it or in it. I want to know who they were in contact with. The driver mentioned this was headed to a party for Wisdale. I’m betting his phone number is on the driver’s phone. Have your security guys go through those phones and find out all the other data on them.”

As my fangs came down, my tongue snaked out as I licked my lips. Brent and Kathy both looked like they were going to make a mess. Harold had already experienced that from me. He looked frightened but not scared to death. The fangs retracted. “I want names, addresses, this is going to stop. Payback is coming riding on the wings of Hell. I can’t pass retribution to all the evil in the world. This much I can.”

Kathy had dropped my hand and took a couple steps back from me, absolute terror on her face. The smell she was giving I was impressed she was holding it together. Holding my hands open and very slowly reaching for her, I took her hand before she fled. “Kathy, you, Brent, Harold, and the others are safe. I promise with my own life, I won’t let any harm come to any of you if at all possible within my power. I may be the scariest bitch on this messed up world, or I may not. My whole life has been trying to protect those who aren’t able to protect themselves. I’ve made mistakes which I deeply regret. Please trust me, I won’t hurt you even if you try to kill me.”

Kathy was shaking as she closed in and hugged me. “I do trust you, Nov…, Jodi. Let’s go see about getting you cleaned up. I think I need to change panties.”

Courage I had met in abundance in all the years I had lived. Kathy’s would be close to the top of them all. I had seen Knights with less courage. Squeezing her in a hug and then backing away to give her some space I took her hand to lead her to the suite. “I’m going to try out that NASA shower stall and see what it can do.”

Kathy had stopped shaking as she looked confused. “NASA shower…, oh, all the controls? Try the rain. Have you ever soaped down and cleaned up in the rain? It’s amazing.”

“Well…, yes I have. Many times but it was Mother Nature’s rain and I couldn’t adjust the temperature of the water although I don’t need to.”

By this time we were headed up the stairs. “What do you mean you don’t need to?”

“This body can stand a whole lot in temperature extremes without being too uncomfortable. When Orden’s army came after me I didn’t have a weapon. I was close to a frozen lake. Thought I could make it across. The men would break the ice if they tried. My plan didn’t work out the way I intended. They followed, the ice broke, and we all went in.”

She opened the door and led me into the apartment. “You made it to the shore because here you are.”

“Actually yes after thirty eight minutes under the ice. There was an under current and I was swept to the end of the lake.”

She stopped, blinked and digested that info before she turned in my direction. “Truly?”

“I’m going to try out that shower. Hon, I’m not lesbian, bisexual, or even sexual. I have bathed with prince and princesses, warriors, and those of the lower caste. When water is at a premium one doesn’t question who gets in the pool with them. Would you care to join me in the shower? I have been told more than a few times, I am the best bath mistress one could ever experience in any lifetime.” Yes I was that good but there was a hidden agenda. I wanted Kathy to see me as human not as some monster. There is more than one’s soul bared when not holding weapons or covered in any artificial covering.

Once more Kathy looked shocked, than amused, and finally curious as the emotions played over her face and the scent escaped from her body. She was timidly cautious as she nodded in agreement and started unbuttoning her blouse.

Pulling off what was left of my shredded pantyhose and putting all the jewelry on the vanity, I stepped into the shower still dressed. I adjusted the water temp before turning the spray to rain. “One of us has to be first.”

Everything adjusted and still in the shower, I was removing the torn and now thoroughly soaked dress I had only worn for a few hours. Holding it up, I gave it the once over. “Not too bad. It can be mended.” Of course it was a total disaster.

Kathy’s eyes opened up before she got the joke. She started laughing as she shook her head and slid out of her skirt and panties. “YOU ARE IMPOSSIBLE!”

Pointing to the washcloths and soap before she stepped into the shower, I frowned. “I beg your pardon?” And then giggled.

There are places on one’s body which are erogenous zones which can only be stimulated by an outside influence. One can not tickle one’s self. This is the same concept. With the years I have lived and learned from those who were masters of the art, I was a master myself. Kathy was emotionally spent as I carried her from the shower, grabbed a towel, laid her on the bed, and gently kissed her on the lips. It was as far as I would go. I was neither a man nor a lesbian to satisfy her desires from this point on.

After covering her with a bathrobe I was headed for my duffel bag. “Get some rest hon. The temp help will be here at four tonight. I’ll come back and wake you an hour before. I’m sorry but your help is needed to guide some of them in their respective jobs.”

“No, I’ll get dressed.” Her eyelids were fluttering. She closed them and was asleep.

I didn’t care what anyone thought as I pulled on a sweat top, jeans, and sneakers. The next couple days would be rough as we guided the temp help. I wasn’t standing around in a dress and heels while I oversaw getting this club back on its feet. Spencer, Ken, and a couple other guys I figured were from the same security company were on the docks with Brent and Harold when I returned. The four men I fought with were tied up with zip ties.

“Okay, I’m not sure how much the police are involved in this. I want these four to be stored away for the rest of the day. They can be locked up in the utility closet or back in their van, unless someone has a better idea? When the others start clocking in at five, I don’t want questions raised about these four. I want names of everyone who shows up tomorrow. Some have been clocking in without showing up via courtesy of their buddies. I want names. No one, and I mean absolutely no one besides the kitchen help, the waitresses, and those in the bar who Harold personally will vouch for are to be let in. They will be trying to sabotage the club once they find out they have been fired.”

“We may have a week of reprieve before the retaliation begins from the inspectors and police. I hope we do but doubt it. Three days probably. This place must be brought up to all codes before then. If they shut us down it is over for everyone. It will take an act of congress to get the permits to open again and that will never happen. When all the temp help comes tomorrow it will be a learning experience for many. They can be told what to do but knowing is a different matter. Clean, fix, repair is the goal. This place must sparkle like a new diamond and it must be done in days, not weeks nor months.”

I pointed at Brent and Harold. “You two go get a couple hours sleep. Kathy is resting right now. I’ll come get you at three. If you thought it was a grind on some of those days you passed out in the apartment when you couldn’t make it home? You haven’t experienced real pain yet.”

Spencer, Ken and the other two men got my attention. “How fresh are you guys? Your job is going to be tough keeping the troublemakers out of the club. Let one slip by and they may be able to sink us. We start at five and close a little after twelve. That is nineteen hours for those who are counting. Can you call in backup for security?”

“We’re good. We can call in as much help as needed when needed. How do you want us positioned?” Spencer had his attention on me instead of Brent.

“The rest of the night until four is mine. I want everyone to get what rest they can. There is a bed, couch, chairs, in the suite if you don’t need to go home. Brent can show you. Kathy is occupying one of those beds. In the morning I need Brent, Kathy here to help position and guide the temp help which is supposed to start showing up. Your jobs start at five when those we are letting go start showing up. Eight come to work at that time. Four come to work at six. Two come to work at eight. That is it until the evening crew start coming to work at four. No one and I mean absolutely no one is to be allowed past the docks. Your job will also include taking names of all those who make deliveries and what company they work for. Make of vehicle, time they arrive, tag numbers, registration, the whole damn works. Some or all of those drivers are working in conjunction with the dock workers. It wouldn’t surprise me if they weren’t doing the same thing to other clubs. In fact it would surprise me if they weren’t. This is going to stop.”

Looking around I focused in on Brent. “From now until the time I’m gone again, this club belongs to ME! I’ll leave you a clean business. I need to know. Are you staying?”

He nodded in agreement. “The only part I don’t like is you said, until I’m gone again. I understand why you must. I want a promise from you in return. Don’t ever forget us.”

Walking over to Brent I pulled him into a reluctant hug. Of course he was still a little afraid of me. It was a natural self preservation thing. “I’ll never forget all those I have met and will met here. Did I tell you I have a photographic memory? It’s one of the extra curses that came with this damn body.”

With that he pulled me in to an honest hug. “Nov… Jodi, you’re the scariest, most amazing person I have ever met. And the most beautiful. I don’t have photographic memory but I’ll never forget you either.”

Pushing him back I almost laughed. “Liar, you think Kathy is the prettiest woman you ever met. I’ll agree with you, she’s a real beauty. Now go, take a break, I’ll need you in a few hours to bring this all together.”

“What about you? You need to rest too.”

“Hon, I can and have gone for weeks without sleeping or resting.” I motioned to the others. “All of you, get some time out because I’m going to work your butts off for the next couple weeks. You’ll hate me before this ship is righted and back on an even keel.”

Spencer pointed at the four guys still on the docks.

“My responsibility. I’ll take care of them.” I licked my lips. “They killed my sister or were part of those who did. I will handle this.”

One of them puddled in his pants. They all looked scared silly. “Don’t leave us with that crazy bitch!” She’s not right!”

Spencer shook his head as he and the others started to leave the dock. “Your mistake not ours.”

“WAIT!” “CALL THE POLICE!” “DON’T LEAVE US!” “HELP, HELP!”

A minute later it was just them and me. I held my hands in front and wiped them together. “Killed my sister. Where’s Bolt now guys? Not so brave when you don’t have a mutant guarding your ass.”

Of course the four guys were focused on me as they were screaming help. They didn’t notice the woman who came up on the dock behind them. “Waited until the others left. Didn’t want to get into too many open secrets. How you want to handle this?”

As best they could from their position, their heads snapped around to take a look at who came up behind them. Even in their state of mind and duress they could appreciate the exotic beauty with the sexy goddess voice they were now staring at.

“I’ll toss them into the van. Can you make them disappear for a week? Or maybe permanently if necessary?” I honestly believe the exotic beauty was forgotten at that exact instant when they understood what was implied.

Crystal smiled a feral grin that was ungodly sexy on such a beautiful woman. If I ever was to love someone it would be her. “I can do that. Can I play with them while they are…, still alive?”

OMG! The stink that arose from the four guys at that moment was nauseating. It wasn’t only pheromones either. Honestly, it took supreme effort to not bust out laughing my unhuh off at that moment. I don’t think they appreciated the thought someone who looked like a goddess was going to kill them? Of course she probably wouldn’t but they didn’t know that.

“Eeeewwwwuuuu. Look what you have done. Now I have to handle that to toss them into the van.”

Crystal did laugh. “You complain? I have to drive the van with ‘that’ in the back.”

Picking the first one up I carried him over to the van and actually tossed him in not caring how many bruises or what damage occurred. “Your fault, you created it, deal with it.”

“Okay, this is the last time. We are even now. I don’t owe you any more favors so don’t ever call me again.” She pulled up her hoodie and pulled down a realistic looking old hag looking mask over her face.

“Yeah, yeah, that’s the same thing you said the last two thousand times.” I finished with the last guy. ”Pull that van forward, I’ll shut the cargo doors.”

“It’s been four thousand times but who’s counting? Love you hon. I gave some of your friends a heads up. Don’t look surprised when some of those temps you wanted show up.” She got in the van and pulled forward so I could close the doors.

Watching her leave the parking lot I was wishing she hadn’t done that. If there was a sensitive who could sense a mutant it might all might go sideways with ten thousand government guys swarming us. I’d ask Spenser as soon as possible if he thought there might be anyone besides me? Or again, maybe not. Spencer was only guessing I was a sensitive. The less anyone knows the better. Even among those I trusted.

It was fate I had first found Crystal. Back in fourteen ninety eight I was in London on one of my ‘hunting trips’. Large cities always provided plenty of game. London at that time was crime ridden with a pick and choose buffet. The open markets of the East End and Whitechapel, were the haunts of where Jack the Ripper would show up centuries later. The lowlife were providing an especially rich target area. I was hoping to pull in something more than thieves as I strolled the streets dressed as a woman of the evening. My problem was, women and men back then were what I would consider diminutive. They weren’t very tall. Even dressed as a man I was head and shoulders above most of them. As a woman I was positively intimidating, all six foot one of me.

“She’s mine.” “I saw her first. I get her first.” “She is enough for all of us. Don’t mess her up too bad. I don’t want bloody seconds.” “Mates, you ever see any one as beautiful as that?” “mmmm… mmmmm”

That last sound was coming from a woman who was gagged. Walking down the alley I came to building where there were sounds of clothes being ripped off. The door was bolted from the inside when I lifted the latch to push it open. All the underskirts I had on were going to be a problem. Yanking them down and off ripped the ties which held them on. I spun, loaded my kick, and my foot shattered the door. The three men weren’t prepared. Their swords and their knives were on the floor. One of them was totally naked. The other two were in various stages of undress. The woman tied and gagged lying on the straw had most of her clothes ripped off. The grins and smiles and the thought of lust and pleasure slowly drained from the men’s faces after they turned to see who had interrupted their evening of ravishing the beauty on the straw.

“I’m sorry, did I interrupt your fun?” Less than a heartbeat I was on them. The one who was naked had his throat ripped open. The second one who had his pants down around his legs hindering any defense he might have been able to mount had his neck broken. The third one was bending down to pick up a weapon had his spinal cord severed at the neck. The only thing that disgusted me was none of them were a challenge. This wasn’t the entertainment I had been looking for. Oh well…

Kneeling down on the floor I gave the woman a closer look. She was mutant. I could sense that much. Even in her disarrayed state she was also a beauty beyond anyone I had ever seen before. “I’m going to remove your gag and your bonds. You scream and I’ll be obligated to knock you senseless. Do you understand?”

Her eyes were focused on mine as she nodded in agreement. Slicing through the gag with my fingernail, I tossed it to the side. She held her tongue as she stared at me. Lifting up her hands, I sliced through the ropes around her wrists. The ropes on her ankles were last.

She didn’t bolt but lay there looking up at me. Studying me from the look in her eyes.

It caused me to laugh. “You know, you’re very distracting undressed like that. Do you think you can find something to cover up with? Maybe one of these guys clothes since they seem to have lost any need for them?”

She pushed up off the floor and stood back still studying me. “I’ve heard stories about you. I didn’t believe them thinking they were stories spun in the minds of men. You’re the Huntress.”

“And you are?” I waited feasting my eyes on this unbelievably beautiful creature before me.

She gave a slight curtsey, which was funny since she was totally naked. “Adressa Lonma, at your service, Huntress. I am a courier, and spy for Count deRoma.”

“Ahh, so you can sense men’s thoughts or emotions as your gift.” I motioned to the men on the floor. “Why didn’t you sense these miscreants?”

Shaking her head she reached down and was trying to remove the clothes off the man who wasn’t all bloody. The one with the broken neck. “I sensed two at the end of the alley and turned to leave. The third one stepped in front of me with a sword. He wasn’t a part of the other two until that time. Nor did he have any thought of abducting me until that instant. He was like ten thousand other minds in the background until then. The first two decided they would share the spoils. With swords pointed at me I had no opportunity to escape. Although, before you interrupted them I was beginning to regret I hadn’t chosen death instead.”

I helped her remove the man’s clothes. When she was dressed she was still amazing. Ratty clothes only emphasized her ungodly beauty. She was a study in contrast. She put her hands on her hips and studied me. “You’re not there. You give off no mind thoughts. The only way I know you are there is when I look at you.”

That caused me to smile. “It’s a good thing you can’t read my mind. Looking at you I see the most beautiful creature I ever had the pleasure of seeing with these old eyes. If I was into women, those guys on the floor would have been the least of your worries.”

She laughed and curtseyed. “Looking at you, that wouldn’t have been my worry. I don’t have the same inhibitions. I find women as sexually stimulating as I do men. She was playing with the leather ties on her shirt. Have you ever tried having sex with a woman?”

“You were almost raped and now you’re thinking of enjoying sex on that same bed of hay?”

She laughed. “I use all the resources and every opportunity that is available as it comes along. Tell me you don’t do the same thing in your own way as a hunter.”

“You’re right.” I pointed to her shredded clothes. “Take it with you. I don’t want the authorities to tie a woman into these deaths. Leave the ropes and the gag. They can guess there was a victim who escaped.”

At that time, I hadn’t realized besides reading people’s minds and emotions, she was also an enchantress. She could literally seduce people’s minds. A couple hundred years later I still wondered how she was able to get past my own defenses if she couldn’t sense my mind? Possibly she didn’t need to as I sensed the truth in her? An enigma which would never be answered.

Time to focus on the problems we would be facing today. Four o’clock wasn’t that far away now. I headed to maintenance to find a drill and screws. The door I destroyed to the security office needed repair to keep the curious and devious out. I could screw it shut for now. Kathy could call in repairmen to fix it properly tomorrow along with a locksmith. Even if all those we knew about were fired, there could be others I hadn’t caught. It wouldn’t take much to sabotage the place and have the health or fire inspectors shut us down. The food storage rooms needed to be secured along with the walk in freezers and coolers. Rat droppings in any of those places would be cause to close us up. Although rat droppings in the freezer or cooler would be impossible and never happen normally, I bet the health inspector wouldn’t hesitate to condemn us. I would also make sure we had spare bottles of Halon handy just in case. Pulling the release on one and having the fire marshal walk in ten minutes later finding an empty fire extinguisher would shut us down due to fire code violations. An ice pick into one of those flexible gas lines in the kitchen, an empty Halon bottle, and they literally could blow the kitchen off the map.

Was I paranoid? Damn betchu I was. Whether it was bribe money, crooks or taxes, and politicians, they hated to give up what they never worked for as they bled others of their labors. At three thirty I woke the others. Temps would start arriving at four. We needed to assign jobs and guide them when necessary. Today, all day, and for the rest of the week it was going to be brutal crunch days.

In the dinning room I gathered all of them around. “Kathy, your job is going to be those assigned to cleaning and extra help in the dinning room, kitchen, and keep an eye on the cash flow in the restaurant. That is the one item I haven’t been able to check as there just wasn’t enough time.

Harold, bar room. Even though that is your normal area check, the IDs with a fine tooth comb. They will be testing us trying to get in underage kids. Probably won’t start until this afternoon, as it will take them that long to get reorganized after we fire their friends. Even if you’ve checked them, if they look suspicious to Ben have him check them again. I’ve seen them switch IDs after they have gained entrance and give their fake ID to their partner. When the police come in and check they have an underage ID.

Brent, you, Spencer, Ken and the two extra men cover the docks, storage rooms, and the walk in coolers. The dock is where the most hell is going to be raised. Everyone there gets fired. If they weren’t in on the stealing, they were silently watching it happen. If they didn’t know it was happening they are too stupid to be working here.

Brent opened his mouth. I pointed at him. “Not now until I have this place cleaned up and turn it back over to you and Kathy. Until then, I’m boss and there is no favoritism around here. You think you have friends out there I may be unfair to? Tough! Fire me. I’m not leaving until I’m finished here. Your job is to make sure all those companies and deliveries are what are supposed to be delivered and the right amount is being delivered of the right goods. Your other job is to write checks as necessary if they are above Kathy’s pay grade. Otherwise Kathy takes care of that job until we get an accountant familiar with how the financials operate in this club.”

“You have good people working here who depend on their jobs in this place to provide them a living. You owe it to them if not yourself to make sure they still have the lights on and food on the table a month from now. You need those people more than ever now. Don’t lose their trust or you will be cooking meals and waiting tables all by yourself. Try and visualize that in your mind as this whole damn mess gets to you and you want to run screaming out the door.”

A few people were starting to gather outside around the front door. “People, the show is about to begin. There will be others at the back by the docks. Let’s let them in. Ask them what they have done pertaining to food service and get them assigned to where they need to be and what they will be doing for the next…, possibly eighteen hours. Some of them we will need to keep until closing time.”

Brent and Kathy still looked kind of shell shocked. Didn’t they figure out all the little details to make this possible? What did they think? Call in temp help and everything would work out? I knew they weren’t that dumb but it was obvious this was overwhelming both of them to a small degree.

I clapped my hands together to break up their lost thoughts. “People NOW! Get moving or I send you home.” Yeah, like that would ever happen but it worked. They did get moving.

Pete showed up at four and brought all his kitchen help in with him. He told me he planned on getting a jump on the problems that would possibly arise today. It didn’t really surprise me as I figured Pete would get his act together if he got the chance. Now this place would find out what a real chef could do.

I led them all back into the kitchen. “Okay people, listen up. Pete is everyone’s boss in this kitchen. You work for him. I’m the Hell that will descend on you if you aren’t doing your job and Pete hasn’t straightened you out. There will be NO dishes, pans, or anything that food is served in, on, or handled by, on the floor from this day forward. You do and you’re fired. There are no second chances. Food dropped does not go back into the food chain. It is garbage if it touches the floor or any place where food is not prepared. Pots, cutlery, dishes, anything food is served on or cooked in will be spotlessly clean if food isn’t in it or on it. Again, no allowances given. If you’re assigned KP and those pots don’t come back clean, you’re fired. Forks are notorious for not always coming clean out of the dishwasher. Look at every eating utensil before placing it for the waitresses to pick up and put out on the tables. Send the dirty ones back through the dishwasher. I hear any complaints from the customers about dirty forks and Hell will come into this kitchen. I will find out who wasn’t doing their job, they won’t have to worry about washing one more fork in this club, ever again.”

“Finally, before Hell descends on this kitchen make sure you to do your jobs. Make sure the food looks fresh and there is no spoilage on the vegetables or the meats. Any doubt, toss it. You’re the ones handling all that food, look it over carefully as you do your job. The health inspectors are going to descend on us like locusts and they will be picking this place apart. Don’t sweat the inspectors, worry about Hell. If you get us shut down because you screwed up, you’ll wish you had never been born.”

Looking over at Pete I gave him a smile. “Run a tight ship, Master Chef. It’s all yours.”

He looked over his help. “Alright, you heard, Hell. Make sure you follow her rules so Hell doesn’t have a reason to send all of us home. Let’s get going. We have rolls, pies, and cakes we need to get started. Sandra, get the ovens set to three fifty temp. Eldon, Givens said he thought there were weevils in that bag of flour from Southern Mills. Check it out. Open a fresh sack from Becket Mills if you find any, even if it’s only one.”

Leaving the kitchen to Pete I knew he would keep it up to standards now. He had been given a fresh start and wasn’t going to waste it. It was closing in on five. The docks would be where it got the roughest. I hoped those guys hadn’t got wind of what was going to happen and bring some rogue mutant along with them. There were a few out there I couldn’t handle. One Bolt was enough to last a lifetime and he was the second one I had met. I was lucky both times. I couldn’t count on luck saving my worthless hide forever.

up
324 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Love This Story

Christina H's picture

I have been remiss in not commenting before but I love this story to bit's; it's so well written and paced excellently
just the right amount of humour coupled with just the right amount of violence all woven around a really good story.

With this heroine you could do many different scenarios based in many different periods of history - or have you
already done this?

All in all a really enthralling read thanks for all your hard work Barbie Lee I can't wait for the next instalment.

Christina

What Christina said...

Robyn B's picture

I could just copy & paste what Christina said, but I will let her own that, but I will second all that she said...

Robyn B
Sydney

Cleanliness

I've eaten in a few restaurants that could have used The Huntress's expertise in enforcing cleanliness! Thankfully they have been few and far between but... Keep up the good work!

I love going out to eat with

I love going out to eat with my youngest son, especially when he is wearing one of his hats from when he was a Health Inspector with the Lexington/Fayette County Health Department. Even when we are in locations that are not and were not within his jurisdiction and inspection area, the managers seem to show up a lot more often and keep an eye on him and what he is doing. Pretty much keeps them on their collective toes.

SHTF

Miyata's picture

I love this story. I tend to gravitate to stories written with Women as the main character. Like JD Robb's In Death series and David Weber's Honor Harrington Multiverse series. I place anything of yours in the same level of excellence as both of those authors. Thank you.

Miyata312

'Do or Do Not, There is no Try' - Yoda

Thank you to all the readers

BarbieLee's picture

My heartfelt thanks to everyone whether they leave a comment or nudos or..., just surf by out of curiosity. I especially thank the readers who give me a heads up on grammar and spelling errors. Although most aren't, some are colloquialisms from this old country girl who drove some of her English teachers to tears of frustration because she never understood or learned proper English. I honestly tried but it just wasn't in me.

I've worked in fast foods and restaurants along with a hundred other skills in this life. And as Ellery said, I wouldn't eat in some of those places. If things are questionable such as things not being crisp salad, hot vegetables, meats, and forks with "something" between the tines, don't go back. They aren't taking care of the rest of the kitchen either.

Hugs people, I wish everyone happiness as the rest will fall into place and the problems won't seem insurmountable.
always,
Barb

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

Come on, Barb,

Monique S's picture

your American isn't that bad. Actually the lingo gives bite to the story. Just as well you're not trying to give of an Old England vibe, even though Nova evidently has been there quite a while ago and found Chrystal. If you'd tried I would have had to do a LOT MORE work and the story would have become unrecognizable.

Hugs, Honey, it is a woderful story.
Monique.

Monique S

Wow!

How many body bags are they going to need?

When I Was A Kid

joannebarbarella's picture

I worked for a few weeks in what was reputed to be the best hotel in my town as a washer-up. This hotel actually had a national reputation. The things I saw put me off working in a hotel for ever. My instructions included taking any reasonable-looking salad items from the dirty plates that came down the dumb-waiter, for example lettuce and tomatoes, washing them and putting them aside for re-use, to be sent back upstairs. There were large deep-frying vats which the chef in charge checked for temperature by spitting into them. If his phlegm sank to the bottom they were not hot enough. If it bounced off the top then they were hot enough for frying food.

I lasted four weeks.

To say that club was targeted

was a major understatement Whom pissed off whom for it to get that bad? As organized as it is it strikes me as somebodies Mafia.

Cliff hangers

WillowD's picture

This story certainly has a lot of great cliff hangers.

The huntress

I don't know if I've said it before, but this is a great story. I love the premise with the long lived traveler who stops to help out. Some stories inspire me to gush, sometimes I pause and let the feeling pass and sometimes I gush. I enjoy your writing so much I thought I would gush over this one and thank you.

Time is the longest distance to your destination.

Sound general quarters...

Jamie Lee's picture

The withdrawls from the bank have been interrupted, and the recipients are going to be super mad. Mad because the two bozos on the bottom of the ocean were supposed to have taken care of the problem. And madder still because THEIR deposits have stopped.

Then there are those about to be fired, mad because THEY lost their jobs because of not doing the work.

The second group are not likely to be the violent ones, but that is what the first is most likely to do. Six people have met Hell and lost, so until the others met Hell, they won't realize the mistake they made in meeting Hell.

And when the other crap happens, the police and inspectors, Hell will be meeting them as well. When she's done with them they're wish there was an express elevator to Hell.

Others have feelings too.