Girls Just Want to Have Fun Chp. 3

Printer-friendly version

Cassidy smacks her alarm clock as it goes off. She didn’t want to get out of bed. It was gray and gloomy outside. She could hear the rain as it hits against her bedroom window. She just lays there and waits for the snooze timer, times out.

She gets up out of bed and takes a nice hot shower. She had fun on her date. First, they went to a nice restaurant for dinner and then they went to a club and dance till two in the morning. He brought her home and the two of them kissed for awhile on the front porch.

She gets ready for work. As she heads to the kitchen, she could hear the guys talking and cooking.

“Ah, sleepy beauty awakes.” Larry takes a sip of his coffee as he watches Cassidy.

Danny was preparing his breakfast. He notices Cassidy “do you have time for breakfast?”

“Nope, I’m running a little behind.” Cassidy grabs a banana as she fixes her coffee.

“See you guys later this evening.” Cassidy grabs her umbrella and heads towards her car.

She makes it to the antique store in record time. She did speed some and broke a few speed limits. The rain had slacked off some by the time she arrived.

Cassidy goes about opening the store and start dusting the antiques. She was working by herself today since it was a Saturday. She knew the rain was going to keep most buyers away from the store.

Cassidy turns the radio on and listens to the music playing as she moves about the store. She could already tell it was going to be a slow day. Since her arm was still in a brace, she was taking it easy. She rearranges some of the smaller items.

By mid-day, she hasn’t had any people stop in and she was going to take her lunch early. She calls the local pizza joint and orders a sub lunch combo to be delivered down to the shop. As she is waiting for her lunch. Two gentlemen come walking in. Both were wearing black suits and aviator glasses.

One was taller than the other, by at least six inches. He had short black hair and was clean shaved. His partner was at least six inches shorter and had dirty blonde hair. Where his partner looked younger. He was older and had the look of someone you didn’t want to mess with. There was something that put didn’t feel right to her.

“Good afternoon gentlemen. How can I help you today?” A friendly smile appears on her face.

“We would like to talk to your boss, Mr. Hughes.” The tall black haired man had removed his sunglasses was looking at Cassidy.

She shivers as he looks at her. There was something in his eyes that wasn’t right.

“He’s off on Saturdays and Wednesday’s. Is there anything I can do for you?” Cassidy just kept smiling.

“Not unless you want to do some extra work for him.” The smaller guy removes his sunglass.

A sly smile appears on his face. He was looking Cassidy up and down. He figures she would be good in bed. He would use her for a while and then pimp her ass out to some clients. He figures she would bring in some big dollars for him.

“I think you better leave.” Cassidy didn’t like his tone of voice.

“I’ll leave when I want to leave.” The short guy steps up to Cassidy.

“You’ll leave now, or I will call the police.” Cassidy had her cell phone in her hand.

“Why you little BITCH!” The short guy backhands Cassidy so hard, that she is lifted off her feet and into an antique cabinet.

The back of her head hits the cabinets door hard. Her head was pounding as her eyesight start blaring. Just as she is blacking out.

“Tell your boss we’ll be back to collect on what he owes us.” The tall man puts his sunglasses on and walks out.

Cassidy passes out. She was laying on the floor against the cabinet like a rag doll.

“Cassidy, wake-up.” Luke from the sub shop had come in, a few minutes after the two men left.

Luke saw Cassidy slumped on the floor against an old oak cabinet. Her eyes were closed, and she had blood on her lower lip. He pulls his cell phone out and dials 911 and tell them about Cassidy.

He sticks around till the paramedics arrive. Once they arrive, he steps aside to let them do what they have too. He calls his boss to let him know what was going on.

Cassidy jerks awake.

“Mrs. Are you alright?” A female paramedic had used a smelling salt to bring Cassidy around.

“No, my head hurts.” Cassidy was trying to get her bearing. She remembered the last words the tall man told her.

The female paramedic looks at Cassidy’s eyes. They were responding as they should.

“Can you tell me what happened, ma’am?”

“Yea, a customer backhanded me so hard, that I fell back into this cabinet.” Her mouth hurt her where he connected with his hand.

“Do you want to file a police report?” The paramedic touches Cassidy split lip gently.

“Yes, I want the bastard who backhand me in jail.” Cassidy was pissed. She didn’t put up with bullies when she was in school and she wasn’t
about to let someone get away smacking her either.

Arthur was on patrol when he received the call. He heads over to the address he was given. As he pulls up, he spots Cassidy’s car and the paramedics. He gets out of his car and walks inside the antique store.

He notices that the paramedics were tending to Cassidy. He hadn’t told Cassidy what he did for a living. He walks over towards the paramedics and Cassidy.

“Are you alright, Cassidy?” Arthur saw the split lip.

Cassidy was paying attention to the paramedics as they fuss over her. She had noticed Arthur comeing in. When she heard his voice, she looks at him and notices he was in a sheriff uniform. Her jaw nearly dropped as she realizes she was dating a cop.

“She just bumped her head, Officer Arthur. Cassidy said she was attacked. “The female paramedic looks at officer Arthur.

“Cassidy, can you give me a description of who attacked you and why they were here?” Arthur looks at Cassidy and was concerned about her.

Cassidy gathers her wits about her and gives a description to Arthur. She gives a complete description of both men and the message the
tallest one gave her to give to her boss. Cassidy wants to know what has her boss gotten himself into.

“Is she capable of driving herself home?” Arthur could drive her home and have his nephew bring him back to deliver her car to her house.

“I don’t recommend it.” Her injuries weren’t too bad, but she wasn’t in any condition to drive.

“I’ll give her a lift home.” Arthur closes his notebook and puts it away.

The paramedic's clean-up their mess. Arthur helps Cassidy close up and gets in his patrol car.

As they are heading towards her place “you never said you were a cop.”

“You never asked what I did.” He turns and smiles at her.

Cassidy realizes she never did. She told him about herself and learned he was retired from the Marines, but that was all she knew about him. They drive in silence as he takes her home.

Cassidy’s roommate was concerned when she walked in with Arthur behind her. They were also floored that he was a Deputy sheriff as well. They knew Stanley was his nephew and that Cassidy had sold him three jugs of moonshine.

“What happened?” As Danny watches as Cassidy comes in with her head wrapped up.

“She was attacked at work. She hit her head against an oak cabinet at work.” Arthur looks at Larry and Danny.

“Why don’t we go and bring her car back home.” Larry goes to grab Cassidy’s spare keys.

Danny grabs his jacket and the two of them leave.

“Are you going to be okay, Cassidy?” Arthur looks at Cassidy.

“I’ll be fine. Thanks for bringing me home.” She gives him a kiss.

Arthur returns the kiss. He had good enough description to try to identify the men that attack Cassidy.

“Why don’t you go and get some rest. I’ll let you know what I find out.” He gives her one more kiss before leaving.

Cassidy heads towards her bedroom and changes out of her work clothes. She slips on a comfortable t-shirt and her silky pajama pants bottoms. She crawls under her blanket and closes her eyes as sleep takes her.

up
219 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Time for a new job?

A job is not worth being forced into Witness protection.

Re: Time for a new job?

I really can't say whether Cassidy should or should not look into finding another job. I honestly can't explain the feeling I have, the simplest way to state it is that I believe those guys knew Mr. Hughes wouldn't be there and intended to severely intimidate Cass as a scare tactic.

With the 'love interest angle' between Cass and Arthur, I don't think witness protection is on the table. I also wouldn't be surprised to find out in the next chapter that Arthur is putting a lot of effort into finding out who those guys were and why they were there.