Tammy:Moving On - Chapter 5 "Reconciliation"

Printer-friendly version
Moving On  

Part
 
Five

 

"Reconciliation"

 

 
Sunday 9th April 2017 (Continued)
 

Tammy felt humiliated when she left the store, albeit via a staff exit to avoid the baying crowd. She made it to her car safely without being spotted by anyone and drove out as quickly as she could. The duty manager had promised to deal with the issue, although Tammy had doubts that anyone would be disciplined.

She showed her airside pass to the security guard and drove into the airport before turning left towards the Smart Aviation hanger. A few vehicles were already parked there, including her father's Range Rover.

"What took you?"

"A problem at Tesco. I was accused of being a shoplifter!"

"I hope you kept your temper?"

"What are you suggesting, Dad? I was civil throughout but if I see that security bod again I'll wring his neck!"

"That sounds like a threat, Tammy," suggested Iain Davison who had just emerged from the hanger.

"It would have been well deserved, Iain. What drags you here?"

"You did, dragging me from home on a Sunday again! DC Lomax is interviewing Mr Surtees at the moment and you're next."

"I still don't know why you were here though?"

"Why don't we go find a quiet corner inside?"

Tammy followed Chief Inspector Davison into the hanger, they both grabbed a coffee from the tiny kitchen then walked to the far side, away from anyone else.

"So what just happened in Tesco?"

Tammy recounted the event.

"So they just started having recognised you in the Sunday Standard?"

"Presumably? The article didn't paint me in a very good light, something about wasting RAF resources for a faulty plane."

"The press do have a habit of jumping to the worst conclusion when they only have half the story, that's a fact of life. The Sunday Standard does take it to a new level though."

"But now another journalist is sniffing around, so will I be in the Scotsman tomorrow, Iain?"

"I can ask our press office to put out a release, stating that an investigation is ongoing and that you aren't a suspect."

"So my name appears again?"

"They probably won't print anything, it'll be a non-story, Tammy."

"Fair enough."

"Now, what about the Tesco security guard?"

"He definitely had a issue with me, I think his aim was to humiliate me."

"Did you get his name?"

"His badge said 'Stephen', no surname."

"Okay."

Tammy needed to change the subject, "Iain, is DC Lomax cleared, just how much can I tell him?"

"Leave out any references to Government agencies, but give as much detail as possible. He's based in Aberdeen so has no prior knowledge of you or your family."

"Was that deliberate?"

"Very much so, especially as we may also be dealing with a case of gross misconduct."

"I guess that's connected to the PC who was here yesterday?"

"Correct, he was suspended a few hours ago and sent home pending interview."

A suited man approached, a Police Scotland ID was hanging from his neck. "Miss Smart?"

"Yes."

"Will you come with me, please."

They used Jim's office.

"If you don't mind, Miss Smart, I'm going to record this interview but you are not under caution and can leave at any time."

"Fine, if you don't mind then I'll make a recording of my own, I take it you'll supply me with a transcript?"

"Yes, if that's what you want."

"My solicitor will be informed about this tomorrow, they'll want to know what's been said."

"I've been told to mark the interview as 'Restricted', that will limit the number of people who can see it."

"My solicitor is cleared for most matters concerning my activities."

"Okay, Miss Smart, shall we begin?"

The beginning, for DC Lomax was the purchase of the plane, although he took an opportunity to ask a relevant question.

"Why did you need a plane?"

"It was suggested I should learn to fly, and a pretty simple idea as I have a substantial share holding in Smart Aviation."

"Do you intend to become a commercial pilot?"

"No, it's just a means to get around. I frequently need to visit places in England, Cornwall and London for example, flying saves many many hours."

"What is your work?"

"I have my own property business, and I'm studying at the local university."

The interview turned towards how Tammy realised there was a problem with the plane.

"The engine shouldn't have cut out like that, given that I was over water it wasn't a good situation to be in."

"So you declared an emergency?"

"Yes, and the tower gave me priority to bring the plane in."

"Was it a normal landing?"

"It was, and that added to the evidence that something was really wrong."

"Miss Smart, I've been told that you ran a bug detector over the plane?"

"It's an RF detector really, and it easily identified the GPS beacon, the rest of the avionics were switched off at the time."

"You already knew the plane was stolen, but you tampered with the evidence?"

"I left it in place, untouched, but I needed to know what was going on. Once I found the beacon, Jim identified the link to the engine management unit and that points to this being an attempt on my life. I can let the CAA investigate the rest."

"You seem quite calm, despite nearly having an accident?"

"Firstly it wouldn't have been an accident, as I just said this was an attempt on my life."

"Why do you say that, Miss Smart?"

"The plane had been modified to cut the engine, that's no accident."

"Why did you suggest it was an attempt on your life? Anyone could have bought that plane?"

"No, I believe this plane was sold to Smart Aviation purposely."

"But why would you believe anyone would try to kill you?"

"Because I've lost count of the number of attempts on my life, on the lives of my family and friends too."

"Really Miss Smart?"

"Yes, but I'm afraid that's off-limits."

DC Lomax shuffled his notes.

"Who decided the RAF should collect the plane?"

"I presume it was the CAA."

"They said the request was from the Counter Terrorism Unit in London."

"Fair enough."

"I see, have they been in contact with you?"

"Not recently."

"So you have been in contact with them?"

"Not recently but that's also off-limits, sorry."

DC Lomax finally asked Tammy about the PC who had arrived the previous day and that morning's press coverage, leading to the incident in Tesco.

"Do you believe that your experience in Tesco is linked to this?"

"Yes."

"Why?"

"I don't believe in circumstance."

"Thank you Miss Smart."

He stopped his recorder, Tammy left her's running a little longer.

"DC Lomax, my guess is that you looked me up on your systems before coming here?"

"I did, and I didn't learn a great deal."

"Good."

"Why do you say that?"

"Knowledge can be dangerous in the wrong hands, A few police officers have accessed my records in the past and used that information to attack me, or those close to me. That's why my records are restricted."

"I didn't know."

"You didn't when you arrived here, but I have decided that you needed to know just enough so you don't go digging when you get back to your office."

Tammy switched off her recorder and put it away in her bag. She walked out of the office just as Iain Davison was entering the hanger.

"I have an answer for you, Tammy, about Tesco."

"Yes?"

"The security guard is the the brother of the PC who was here yesterday."

"I knew there was a connection!"

"We've taken him to Inverness to be interviewed."

"Okay, who'll do the interview?"

"Undecided, but I might hang onto DC Lomax for a while longer."

"He asked a few awkward questions."

"I'll see the transcript first so leave that with me."

"Thanks Iain."

Iain returned to his vehicle and DC Lomax joined him, having concluded his interviews. Richard Smart was stood with Jim Surtees and the pair beckoned Tammy over.

"How about we pack up for the day, Tammy?"

"Sure, are the press still near the gate?"

"No, but you can't let the press dictate what you do."

"Okay Dad."

"I suggested that we could have dinner a little earlier than normal tonight, I don't think you had time for lunch?"

"My appetite went for a walk, it's still in the car and can go straight into the bin."

"Keep the receipt, you can get a refund."

"I really don't want to go in there for a while, plus it was under a fiver."

"The amount is irrelevant, but let's get home."

"Sure Dad, bye Jim."

 
Monday 10th April 2017
 

Tammy was back in her office by half seven, anxious to get some work done before the flak started flying again. Coffee had to come first, however, and no emergency would change that. Whilst the kettle was boiling she nipped to the nearest shop to get some newspapers plus something to accompany her coffee.

She was back a few minutes later and finished making her drink but she also now had a packet of Hobnobs biscuits to open.

Suitably refreshed she scanned through the Scotsman looking for any story about herself or her plane, although she found nothing so put it aside to read through at a more leisurely pace. She'd also picked up a copy of the Scottish Sun for the same purpose, although this went into the recycling bin as soon as she'd finished checking the pages.

She then looked for the original story on the Scottish Standard's website but that couldn't be found, Tammy forced a smile, were they winning?

Although it was rarely used, the office fax machine burst into life, she grabbed the printed sheet when it was spat out.

She was holding the fax, trying to make sense of it when Suzie arrived in the office.

"Any chance of a cup of ... oh, what's that?"

"I just received it, Suzie, I don't know."

"Did you check the log, to see what number it came from?"

"Not yet. There's some text at the bottom though - 'Sent via email2fax gateway id 7f6d5530e' whatever that means."

"What are you going to do, Tammy?"

"I need to speak to Iain or DC Lomax, could you put the kettle on?"

Tammy couldn't reach either Police officer but was instructed to put the sheet in an envelope and to wait for an officer to collect it. First, though, she scanned it into her secure laptop.

"Why are you doing that, Tammy, that's a work laptop isn't it?"

"It is, I'm still on the books Suzie."

"But I thought ..."

"That I had finished? Not yet, not quite yet."

"Then what?"

"I don't know, and I don't know if I can say anything."

"I'm your sister!"

"Who should understand the concept of 'need to know' better than most peeps?"

"I suppose so."

"Look, I'm being honest when I don't know what I'll be doing, but I still have a business to run here and a university course to finish."

"Oh."

"Of course, it doesn't help if there's attempts on my life, like this weekend. Too many of those and I won't get any more work."

"Seriously? Mum said it was a fault in the plane?"

"That was Dad keeping her from freaking out."

"Nothing was said at dinner last night, Tammy?"

"No, that was deliberate. I had to endure a police interview yesterday - ah! I need to make a call."

"We're low on milk, I'll go get some."

"Thanks, Suzie."

Tammy called her solicitor, Jeremiah Smith.

"How can I help you Miss Smart?"

"I was interviewed by the police yesterday after an attempt on my life."

"I see, did you ask for representation as there wasn't an entry in the weekend log?"

"It wasn't under caution and I will have the transcript checked."

"Even so, that was a little foolhardy?"

"Perhaps, but it was sprung on me."

"Even more reason for representation?"

"I took a recording of my own, if you'd like to hear it?"

"Yes please, you said it related to an attempt on your life?"

"All the salient details are in the recording. I've also had a threatening fax today."

"Any chance of a simple argument with a neighbour, Miss Smart, that's what our normal clients call about!"

"I'm not normal, Mr Smith, not in any sense! I'll email the audio to you, along with a brief explanation. The police are handling the fax."

"That will do for now, thank you, although I feel we may need to meet?"

"If I can spare the time?"

Tammy had just sent the email when Suzie returned, a young PC was in tow.

"Tammy, I found PC Reith outside."

"Good, do you have an evidence bag?"

"Er, yes, Miss Smart."

Tammy picked up the fax and dropped it into the waiting bag.

"I don't think that was wise, handling it without gloves? We'll have to take your fingerprints to establish who else handled it."

"PC Reith, this arrived by fax and not by post."

"And?"

"Have you ever used a fax machine?"

"No."

"How old are you?"

"Twenty."

"Ah, a millennial, explains everything."

"If that's all?"

"Yes, thank you PC Reith."

Tammy settled down to clear some work whilst she sent Suzie out to inspect a recently vacated property.

"I've just got back in, and it's not warm out there!"

"I need to be here, Suzie, but the place is all yours when I'm back at university next week."

"Great, double the work!"

"Hey, I'm paying you to be here!"

"I haven't had any pay yet, though."

"The payroll is done next week, when Pru processes all the other staffs' pay."

"Yeah."

"I thought you were still getting your money from the agency?"

"That's not the point."

"It's tax free as well, isn't it?"

"Yeah, even so?"

"I'm not out to enslave you, Suzie, but I really do need to know if there's any cleaning needed in that office and flat?"

"Okay, okay."

Tammy tidied up the office and put away her secure laptop, it probably wouldn't be needed again today. She did a reconciliation between the company bank account and the extant clients payments. She spotted that a final payment hadn't gone through yet, although it was only a few days overdue. Otherwise it all looked good.

She was feeling pleased with herself when her mobile rang.

"Hi Suzie, all okay?"

"I'm at the property. I think you should get down here, bring a camera."

"Is everything okay?"

"You need to get down here, Tammy, just get here! I'm scared!"

up
438 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Welcome back

It's always good to see another chapter in the lastest adventures of Tammy. ;-D

Red MacDonald

Pleased to see you back.

Tammy seems a trouble magnet.

Good job.

Gwen

Tammy's in trouble again

Thurso is a remote part of the UK in the very North of Scottish mainland but Tammy still manages to pull trouble in from far and wide.
However it's great to have her back and I'm looking forward to her kicking some ass.

Ah, a cliff hanger.

WillowD's picture

You certainly do know how to write a good story Shiraz.

Shiraz, Love your stories

Shiraz, Love your stories regarding Tammy, but they do leave me wondering. Did you grow up watching the serial movies "Perils of Pauline"?
You certainly keep that genre going in the life of Tammy. Definitely great though. :-) :-) ;-)

at last!

I know we have no right to expect a time schedule for stories but at last I can get out of my major sulk! another great chapter in the tales of "our Girl" I had to re-read the previous episodes to make this one fit. Wicked Wicked Shiraz!!!!! only kidding x great to see you back

Even if it was hot off of the

Even if it was hot off of the fax...

the PC had a good point. Even if it's electronic tech, some piece of garbage lawyer might still make a ruckus about "mishandled evidence" since she didn't wear gloves...

And she's the same age or so? She's insulting herself there ;)

I'm told STFU more times in a day than most people get told in a lifetime

I Wasn't Clear...

...about the significance of the letters of the fax being in individual boxes.

Were they actually pasted on to the original piece of paper that was faxed? If so, there might be fingerprints visible on the faxed copy.

But why would anyone do that? The old warning-letter-from-newspaper-cutout-words dodge was intended to prevent identifying the sender from his handwriting or from identification via distinctive typewriter keys. It's pointless for notes from a word processor or computer, and in any case (as a cast member said) there'll be a record as to where it was sent from. Even if it's a public access machine at a library or business, it's a starting point for an investigation.

Eric

(Presumably Suzie wouldn't ask Tammy to come alone into an ongoing threat situation, unless Suzie's being held at knifepoint or something and forced to make the call. The "bring a camera" line makes that doubtful. If what Suzie found is evidence of a crime with no reason to believe the perps are coming back, I'm not sure why she'd stick around rather than wait for Tammy at a location she'd find less frightening.)

Re: I Wasn't Clear...

Regarding your comments in the brackets at the bottom of your comment here, I have this to say:

Suzie is most likely staying on the site to be sure there are no changes to the potential evidence that has been discovered.

Tammy being asked to bring a camera provides the method for the evidence discovered to be recorded for their protection.

As you said, it seems rather doubtful that Suzie herself is in any danger, but her words do show that she is rather shocked and scared.

"Scared"

joannebarbarella's picture

Let's hope it's an over-reaction to some nasty situation that's not actually life-threatening.

Life-threatening

tmf's picture

My guess is that it IS life-threatening, as a big message more gory than just a fax...

Peace and Love tmf

Just Finished this..

Mantori's picture

... whole series. Jees-like-it... 2 267 pages later...

Great series, no, FABULOUS SERIES. Kept me entertained and wanting more all throughout.

Thank YOU, thank you very much.

"Life in general is a fuck up,
but it is the rare moments of beauty and peace
in between the chaos,
That makes it worth living."
- Tertia Hill

Oy, locals at it again

Jamie Lee's picture

Why do those morons blame Tammy when their relations get themselves into trouble? That PC took the pictures not Tammy. That PC should have been schooled on security procedures and his roll when guarding something. He should have been briefed before leaving the station about needing to keep his mouth shut about what he sees. Hopefully his superior also gets a twist for not preparing that PC properly before sending him out.

That Tesco guard had only part of the story but created his own ending, believing Tammy was a fault for his brother getting suspended. And if he or his brother sent that fax, they just got themselves in a heap of trouble. With the tag on that fax it won't be hard to find out where it was sent from.

What has Susie so rattled at the property? Being scared it has to be a horrible message or a dead animal left as a warning. Or a body?

Others have feelings too.

Graffiti? Vandalism?

And quite probably yet another callout to the police plus Tammy's contacts.

Maybe it would be prudent to bunker down at home for a while?


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!