Halloween Dreams

Printer-friendly version

It had just turned midnight. It was officially Halloween. I came up with this ditty. I started writing it at around noon. Pardon its unpolished state. It is set in my A New Life universe, which is set in Dot's M.Y.T.H. universe.


"Well, Aren't you just the cat's meow!" Cindy exclaimed.

Vicky primped, then gave her adopted sister a warm hug. "You're not so bad yourself, foxy lady!"

They had both dressed as sexy mad scientist girls at school, but decided to show off their were forms on Halloween night.

Vicky embraced the cat part of her nature. She used her half cat form, but in honor of Halloween, gave herself long silky black fur and green eyes. Similarly, Cindy went as a black fox. They both had ears and tails, and a fur coat, but kept their human faces. Both wore witch costumes for that cute junior high witch girl look.

They piled into the back of the Jeep for a quick trip to the church, where they were holding a 'trunk-or-treat.'

Since many of the rural roads have houses spaced a quarter mile or more apart, the kids would have to do a lot of walking to do just a few houses. So, rather than canvassing three or four houses per mile, the kids prefer to trick or treat in the towns.

The rural land owners, not wanting to be left out, get together in a church, business, or volunteer firehall parking lot, decorate their vehicles, and pass out candy.

Many of the adults like to dress up and socialize. Coffee, cocoa, cider, and donuts are served. It's a big party for everyone.

The sun was still well above the horizon when the Lupo family backed their Jeep up to the wide awning that was erected in case of rain. They backed in right next to the Jenson family's truck.

Cindy and Vickie rapidly set up the decorations, dumped the candy into a huge bowl, then carried pastries, coffee, cocoa, and other supplies to the large fellowship hall where the party was being held.

"Oh no! It's a scary werewolf!" Cindy squealed.

Jimmy Jenson made an 'aroooooo' sound, then came to greet them. "I'm Wolfman Jack, I'll have you know. Be afraid. Be very afraid."

"Oh, please don't eat me, mister Wolfman," Cindy giggled.

~~~~~~

"Why don't you three go off and collect some goodies?" asked Mark Jenson, Jimmy's father. "We can finish passing out the treats."

"I'm too old to go trick or treating," Jimmy said.

"Not us!" Cindy said. "We girls can go trick or treating even when we're in high school!"

Vicky smiled. A few months ago, she had been an aging Vietnam vet. Now, she unabashedly embraced her new gender, her new health, her new abilities, her new life, and especially her new family.

"Come with us," Cindy said. "We need a big strong wolfman to protect us!"

"And carry our loot," agreed Vicky.

~~~~~~

"Well, aren't you all just the cutest things!" the middle aged lady said as she dropped fun sized candy bars into their bags. "Those ears and tails look so real!"

A little four year old boy dressed as squirrel came up and started petting the girls' legs. "Your fur is so soft," he cooed.

"Mark! That's not polite!" said a young tween dressed as a kitty girl cheerleader. The parents stood back by the road. They were going to intervene and correct their little one, but saw that their older child was handling it.

Vicky picked him up. "Oh, I guess it's all right on Halloween." She gave the kid a hug and kiss, then set him down.

Vicky and Cindy gave each other a meaningful look. They had both caught a whiff of were in the children. They followed the pair of siblings to their parents.

"Well, that's the last house," said the father.

Vicky said, "The party's not over yet. Why don't you bring the kids to the fellowship hall with us for some cocoa and donuts?"

"Yay!" said the two kids.

~~~~~~

Harry and Julie Garmish, along with their two sons, drove to the address that the Lupo family had given them.

"I don't know why, but I trust them," Julie admitted.

"I do, too. And I have learned to trust your instincts," Harry agreed.

The door opened soon after they knocked.

They exchanged pleasantries and the Lupo family offered them refreshments and let them get seated comfortably.

"I'm sure you're wondering what the mystery is all about," Jim said.

They nodded.

"Well... you're not going to believe this, but you are weres. All of you. And sometimes it takes one to know one."

The Lupo family all shifted to their three quarter forms. Harry and Julie looked gobsmacked, but there was no look of disbelief. Steve, their older son, just stared. Mark ran up and hugged Vickie around the legs.

Vickie picked Mark up and hugged him.

"How did you do that?" Mark asked.

Vickie ruffled his hair. "You just wish it. You'll be able to do it too, when you get older."

"Do I get to be a squirrel?"

Vickie nodded. "Yes, you're going to be a squirrel."

"And me?" Steve asked.

"A cat. A girl cat." Cindy answered.

Steve's smile lit the room.

up
97 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Nice story

I have to say this story was the best part of my Halloween. It has a good ending but I'd love to see more.

More

Now that I've introduced the Garmish family, we will definitely see more of them, including the story of their manifesting. I haven't decided on the parents yet. What critters should they become?

The fox and the Cat

laika's picture

Good to see Victoria settling happily into her new life.

I wonder if Jimmy knows who Wolfman Jack was. Possibly related to Howlin' Wolf (same raspy voice), the Wolfman wasn't so much scary as seriously funkadelically groovie back in the day on XERB-BAYBEEEEEE!; that 50,000 watt transmitter just south of the border blasting out the boss tunes clear up into Oregon and Idaho when the ionosphere was cooperating...

I'd trade my family in for this happy bunch of weres and mutants any day; just keep little Stevie away from the catnip she's too young to indulge. Loved that final image there...
~hugs, Veronica

Hmmmmm... Catnip...

What a deliciously evil idea!

Wolfman Jack

Remember that Jimmy is another "Teen on the outside, grumpy old fart on the inside." He's heard the show.

Missing reactions

Jamie Lee's picture

Harry and Julie may not have shown disbelief but neither did the story say how they reacted. Because they didn't run out of the house after seeing the three quarter forms, so it's a safe bet they knew something about being weres. Squirrels are a cute animal and that little boy becoming one is probably a dream come true for him.

It would be good to read more about this family and the community.

Others have feelings too.