An Ultra-Secret, Heart-Felt, Peripheral Demography

Printer-friendly version
An Ultra-Secret, Heart-Felt, Peripheral Demography
By Daphne Xu

Ding-dong!

"Yes!" Tabbie jumped off her bed, and dashed down to the front door. It just *had* to be it, the latest book in the series!

"Good afternoon, Miss Tabbie," said the deliveryman, handing her the small package. "Here is your new book."

Tabbie's heart pounded as she looked up at the handsome delivery man. "Thank you ever so much, Mr. Tanda!" she wheezed, as she signed the electronic device. Clasping the book to her heart, she looked back up at the heart-stopping Mr. Tanda. Practically every time a new book in the series arrived, the Mr. Tanda was the delivery man. "Have a spiffy day, Mr. Tanda!"

"You as well, Miss Tabbie." Mr. Tanda tipped his hat as he took his leave. Tabbie couldn't help giggling.

She ripped the box open, revealing the book inside. She couldn't wait to begin reading, but she knew the importance of self-denial and delayed gratification. Tossing the box aside, she ran back to her room. She called her BFF Kim.

"Heya, Tabbie!" came Kim's hyper patter, answering the phone. "Have you heard, the latest book is out!" Kim asked in her hyper patter, giggling all the while. Tabbie could practically hear the Kim's thumping heart over the phone.

"Yeah! Mine just arrived!" said Tabbie.

"Gosh, I'm so-so jealous!"

"Come over, we'll read it together! Spend the night!" said Tabbie.

They chatted some more, even as Tabbie heard Kim opening the garage. "Sorry, can't bike and talk at the same time. See-ya!"

"See-ya!" echoed Tabbie, as the call ended.

Tabbie dashed back downstairs to await Kim's arrival with bated breath. She couldn't wait to see her BFF, and she couldn't wait to start on the latest book. She didn't wait long; Kim arrived on her bike in good time.

"Hey there!" Tabbie and Kim embraced. "You have the book?" asked Kim.

"It's around here... somewhere," answered Tabbie, as she looked around. It wasn't in the living room. She ran to her room, Kim on her tail. It wasn't there, either. She ran to the kitchen. It was nowhere to be found.

"Where did you leave it last?" asked Kim.

"I just don't remember!" whined Tabbie, panicking, practically heart-broken.

"You'll find it some time," Kim consoled her. "Hey, the guys are playing baseball at the park. Let's go join them."

The book temporarily forgotten, Kim and Tabbie spent the rest of the afternoon at the park a couple blocks away, playing baseball.

But then it was time to return home for supper.

Tabbie opened the front door, and the two girls were promptly hit by Dad's shouting. The girls entered, and froze at the scene. Tabbie's two big brothers were standing abashed, as Dad raved and ranted, waving Tabbie's missing book about.

"... of all the mind-melting mush you could be reading, did it really have to be Thumping ❤❤, Broken ❤❤, ❤❤ United?!?"

The END
up
73 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Poor Corazon...

Poor Corazon...

She just can't catch a break!

I'm told STFU more times in a day than most people get told in a lifetime

Step One

Actually, from Corazón's point of view it's not too bad. The girls bought the book (possibly two copies) and the readership is getting bigger. The father's reaction isn't something that Corazón is unfamiliar with.

Now, if the boys would actually BUY the book instead of pilfering their sister's copy ...

Which gives me an idea. Why not do as the Harry Potter books where they had an "adult" edition with a less colorful and more restrained cover? A male oriented edition with some macho cover?

Bru
Unfortunately not getting any part of the royalties for Corazón's stories

title

That's what I was talking about. How can anyone not read a story with that title? Nice job of delivering on the title too.

What have I done? Didn't expect this market for Corazón's books

Daphne is very graciously referring to a story of mine with this name. If you click on the name in the end of the story above you get to my story.

The story is about the very secretive author of the referred stories. The “Thumping ❤❤, Broken ❤❤, ❤❤United”stories themselves as written by Corazón Tender❤ don't exist as far as I know. I sincerely hope they don't. Apart from the supposed mushiness it could possibly be a copyright infringement :)

I do feel a certain pressure to produce something like that. However, I'm afraid I don't have the right skills for this exacting work.

Bru

Meet me, legalities of Copyright

BarbieLee's picture

There is a nice little quite Bed and Breakfast at the northern tip of Ireland called McDuff. Meet me there eight days from now around tenish and I'll explain the legalities of copyrights. Wear that cobalt blue number you wore at the Prince's wedding.
Barb
PS: Leave your driver at home. No extra guests!

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

A Tale of Skuas and Auks

Since the original cobolt blue number has been incinerated it would have to be a knock-off or would that be a copy-wrong?

On second thought, just have a closer look at the third skua from the left when you get to Malin Head.

Bru

PS
Do they serve Duff beer?

PPS
Your comment about my driver reminded me of an old political joke
East German leader Ulbricht (father of the Berlin Wall) one night at the Theatre was so entranced by the leading lady that he went to see her after the performance. He told her what a fantastic experience it had been and told her that he'd grant her a wish.
The actress answered: "Tear down the wall".
Absolutely delighted Ulbricht exclaimed:
"Ah, you want to be alone with me!"

Story #5

Daphne Xu's picture

I have also thought of writing a story for that series -- de-fictionalizing the series. Not the first, of course. But like Bru, I don't have any real idea how to go about it -- writing a mushy softcore romantic story beloved of preteen and young teen girls, but that boys would switch to porn rather than admit they read and enjoy. (I envision a 16yo boy reading the novelette or novella secreted inside a Penthouse they appear to be reading.)

-- Daphne Xu

-- Try saying freefloating three times rapidly.

Awww

Her big brothers just wanted to read it. What's wrong with that? Maybe she's got two sisters and doesn't know it (given the tags) or maybe they just like that cutesy stuff. I bet she'd love two sisters though :D Awwww <3

I know who I am, I am me, and I like me ^^
Transgender, Gamer, Little, Princess, Therian and proud :D

Could Be.

Daphne Xu's picture

Maybe they are internally sisters -- preteen sisters, perhaps? Although I intended it to be a case of boys loving the books, but for the life of them wouldn't be caught at it. I had the idea that one boy was in HS, while the other was home for summer from college.

I said something similar above, that nicely motivated another story by Bru about the series. (See the universe.)

-- Daphne Xu

-- Try saying freefloating three times rapidly.