A Veteran's Tale

Printer-friendly version
A Veteran's Tale
A short tale of what one veteran was forced to go through in the work place
Written by Nuuan


~o~O~o~

Our universe is only one of the vast number of universes within the multiverse, that according to the divine oracle of future science, Robert A. Heinlein, to be the same number as the biblical ‘Number of the Beast’ which he stated is not 666 but 6 to the 6th power to the 6th power or ten octillion, three hundred and fourteen septillion, four hundred and twenty four sextillion, seven hundred and ninety eight quintillion, four hundred and ninety quadrillion, five hundred and thirty five Trillion, five hundred and forty six billion, one hundred and seventy one million, nine hundred and forty nine thousand and fifty six.

This story may or may not have taken place in one of those universes. Names, characters, businesses, places, events, locales, and incidents have been changed to protect the guilty. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events may be true or purely coincidental.

Okay that should be enough for plausible deniability



5 PM, Friday Afternoon before Veteran’s Day


The older gray bearded man pushed away from his cubicle’s desk. The chair rolled back easily across the thick plastic mat protecting the short berber styled carpet tiles covering the floor of the office area. Reaching down to make sure his right leg, which was bound in a hinged knee brace, turned with him as he swiveled the chair around, he stood up from the chair grabbing the wooden cane leaning against the desk as he came to his feet. Turning to face the majority of the other half dozen cubicles whose occupants were also preparing to leave for the day, “See you all Tuesday!”

“Uh John,” one of his co-workers, one who had been there years longer than the rest and sometimes acted in the role of a supervisor when the director was unavailable, stopped him as he walked toward the exit using his cane to help support his bad leg.

“Yeah, what’s up?” John stopped by her desk.

“You know we don’t get Veteran’s Day off right?”

“Yes I spoke to the director about that when I found out that was one of the holidays we don’t get off,” John began. “He said he had no problem with me using a vacation day to take it off if I wished.”

“But I don’t see it on the department’s calendar. You do realize if someone else asked for that day off before you, that you might not get it off.”

“That isn’t a problem,’ John grinned at the woman, “Like I said, I spoke with the Director.”

“Well just for future reference, if anyone does ask before you do, it is first come first serve.”

“If it was any other day of the year I might agree with you, but Veteran’s Day I get first dibs.” John thought of a way to end this discussion, “How many Veterans do we have working in our department?”

“I believe you’re the only one, why?”

“Think about the name of the holiday.” John grinned wide, “Anyways I have a promise to keep.”

Her curiosity rose, “A promise?”

“Well yeah, more like a date I guess.” John explained, “My daughter drops me off at the cemetery on base with a twelve pack of beer and fifth of Jack Daniels, where I’ll get shit-faced drunk and talk to ghosts.”

up
270 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

As a Retired AF SrNCO; I do

As a Retired AF SrNCO; I do like his attitude and comments to the woman.
What I do not care for is the way so many these days,in various parts of this Nation, "have no clue" regarding either Active Duty Military, Veterans in general, and immediately know nothing about what Veterans Day truly means.
As I understand it, it is to return to being a "rotating" Annual Remembering Day as it was originally. That means it WILL always fall on Nov 11 regardless of what day that is during a week.
11th minute of the 11th hour of the 11 day of the 11th month in 1918 when ALL the guns fell silent and WWI was ended.
A huge SALUTE to all those who lost their lives in "The War to end all Wars"; as well a Salute to all other Veterans of all Wars or "Police Actions" following WWI. WWII, Korea, Vietnam, Gulf War I, Iraq, Afghanistan,. Where ever American boots have hit the ground. Along with that a salute to all our Allies whose boots have also hit the same ground right beside us.

Amen and may we all remember

Amen and may we all remember those that have given their all for the freedoms that we enjoy in this country even though our freedoms are in danger from those from those that would like to see people like us eliminated from the population.

By "those who would like to see...

... people like us eliminated from the population" - could you mean a certain Cadet Bone Spur? :)

Nuann

This Nation has lost its RESPECT for those who gave the ULTIMATE SACRIFICE.. Every Freedom and Right we all enjoy(including Burning the Symbol of that Freedom) has been paid in blood. We have a lot of problems in this country, I think fewer today than we have had in past an I hope that we will have fewer in the future. No matter your Politics or Religious Beliefs, this is the one thing this Nation should never disrespect nor forget. But that is what is happening each day of each year.
Again to all that have serve in our Military, to the First Responders I thank you for your service. RESPECT those they gave their lives so we can enjoy our Freedoms and Rights

SDom

Men should be Men and the rest should be as feminine as they can be

Attitude

I was told years ago that I have a "Bad" attitude. This was long before 9-11 and the changes that have happened since in how many have started treating veterans with the respect you see now a days.

An ex-supervisor of mine was out in the shop holding one of those smaller American flags you see stapled onto a small round stick, over a metal garbage can pretending to try to get a disposable lighter to light as he held it under one corner of the flag. Couple of the guys were standing around laughing at his antics.

When I saw what was going on I walked over and softly so that only he could hear me, told him that if he didn't get that lighter away from that flag one of us may be leaving in an ambulance, he scoffed and then actually lit the lighter.

As he was picking himself up off the floor I told him that when I joined the military, I took an oath to defend the constitution, this country and that flag from all enemies both foreign and domestic. And although I may no longer be in the military, I will NEVER breath that oath.

I had never liked that job anyway :)

We the willing, led by the unsure. Have been doing so much with so little for so long,
We are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

Respect

I am 6 months short of 25 years in the Police and unfortunately society in general is rapidly losing respect for their police. A lax legal system and Magistrates and Judges who believe that they are social workers and denigrate and belittle the efforts of the police have eroded the respect that the police deserve. ESPECIALLY those that gave their lives to protect the public.

Sorry. Rant over

Your John

Should find my Gerald already in the cemetery, talking to his loved ones.