Madam Martinique's Finishing School - Part 5

Printer-friendly version

While things have been going better than expected for Billie, he's still planning on running away from this strange new school. Will he escape? How will his new friends react?

Madam Martinique's Finishing School - Part 5
Copyright 2008 by Heather Rose Brown
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Aimlessly poking at the remains of the beef and noodles left on my plastic tray, I scanned the huge dining hall. I had to raise my voice over the noisy chatter so Tod could understand me when I repeated my question. "Who's that?" I asked while pointing to a girl with the long black hair sitting at a table on the other side of the hall.

Tod swallowed the string beans she'd been chewing on before answering. "Oh, that's Jessica. She's the head girl who'd knocked on our door to let us know dinner was ready. Why'd ya ask?"

"She just looked familiar. I think she was there at the end of my interview this morning."

Tracy dropped her fork in her tray and gasped. "Ah, it's all makin' sense. So did she catch ya when you was tryin' to escape?"

"I wasn't trying to escape. I was just ... mad and wanted someplace to think a bit." I took a bite of my cold apple cobbler, trying to hide the guilt I felt at telling a half-truth.

"Well, when ya try again tonight, wear pants. Your dress is pretty, but it ain't too practical when you're on the run."

Tod patted my back as I coughed up the dessert I'd tried to inhale. Over my head she said to the other girl, "Y'know, you really got bad timing. Couldn't you have waited until sh-- ummm ... he had a chance to swallow his food?"

"I'm sorry," Tracy said as she gently touched my elbow. "You gonna be okay?"

I nodded when I was breathing normally again. "Yeah, I'm fine, but what made you think I was gonna try escaping?"

"Oh, most kids who do a runner usually try again pretty soon after."

"Well, I ain't plannin' anything like that." A cold bead of sweat dribbled down my spine when I told such a bold-faced lie, and I tried steering the conversation to something else. "So, how'd you know about Jessica bein' at my interview?"

"Well, when you was talkin' about her bein' familiar, it reminded me of the rumor that'd been goin' around 'bout a new kid who'd given her a solid kick in the ribs before she managed to pull off her ... I mean his ... I mean your shoes."

I thought back to this morning and vaguely remembered my foot slipping out of Madam Martinique's hold and hitting something soft but solid. "Oh god. I hadn't really thought ... I mean ... is she gonna be all right?"

"From what I've heard, she's a bit bruised, but nothing's broken or anything like that."

"Dang, I feel awful." What little dinner I'd managed to get down was starting to feel like a heavy lump in my stomach.

Tod patted my arm. "I'm sure she knows you didn't mean to hurt her. Still, if you're feelin' bad, an apology probably wouldn't hurt."

"That sounds like a good idea." Before I was able to get up the nerve to stand and walk over to Jessica, a pair of hands rested on my shoulders.

When I looked behind me to see who it was, I found the head mistress standing behind me. Although it disappeared too soon to be sure, I would have sworn she had been smiling just a moment ago. "I'm glad to hear your concern for the well-being of another student, but I think it might be better to do it someplace that's a little less noisy."

Feeling a bit overwhelmed with Madam Martinique standing right over me, all I could manage was a nod. While her expression didn't change, something in her eyes looked like approval ... maybe even pride?

Before I could really decide on what it was I'd seen, she looked across the dining hall and shouted over the chaotic din. "Ladies and gentlemen, may I have your attention?"

When the room had gotten quiet and everyone was looking at her, the head mistress continued in a more normal voice. "Thank you for your attention. As some of you may have noticed, we have a new student today."

She gently squeezed my shoulders and whispered in my ear. "Would you mind standing up for a moment and introducing yourself?"

My insides seemed to be trying to flip over as I shakily stood up. What felt like a million eyes stared at me from all corners of hall. Just as my knees started feeling too wobbly to hold me up, both Tod and Tracy took my hands. While it didn't take away all my fear, it did help. A grin stretch across my face when looked down and saw them smiling up at me.

"Hi everyone." I hated the way nervousness was making my voice squeak, but I'd never been able to do anything about it before, so I just pushed on. "My name's Billie Sundry." Everyone was still staring at me, so I figured they were expecting more. "Ermm ... I know I probably don't look it wearing a dress and all, but I'm really a boy ... I think."

I wasn't exactly sure how to take it when a few of the kids laughed or giggled. I'd expected my last comment to be taken as a joke, but even with the laughter, it felt as if the comment was being taken seriously. I couldn't decide if I felt good about that or not.

"Anyways, I've only been here a day and I ain't had any classes yet, so I don't really know what to think about this school." I glanced down at Tracy and Tod, who were still holding my hands. "But I've met some really nice people here, and I hope I get a chance to meet the rest of ya's too."

This got a pretty good round of applause, during which I flopped back down in my seat before my legs buckled under me.

=-=-=

With nothing besides the moonlight peeking through the curtains to light my way, I tiptoed from my bed to the wardrobe I shared with Tod. The door groaned as I slowly opened it, but the noise was nothing compared to the loud thump of my shoes when they fell from the top of the wardrobe.

I sighed with relief when I turned and saw my roommate's eyes were still closed and her breathing was slow and steady. Not wanting to press my luck any more, I just took the first heavy coat my hands found, picked up my shoes, and walked as quietly as I could to the bedroom door.

My heartbeat was thumping in my ears as I stepped out into the shadowy hallway. I'd been going back and forth for most of the night trying to decide what I should do. Even though I still hated my mother for leaving me here, she never had lied to me, and I wasn't willing to take a chance that what she'd told me about this place wasn't true.

I stifled a scream when someone tapped me on the back. I turned to find Tracy smiling at me. "I'm glad to see you took my advice."

"What advice?" I asked, hoping I sounded calmer than I felt.

"To wear pants when you run away tonight."

"I ain't running away. I was just ... looking for the bathroom."

"Uh huh. You usually carry your shoes and coat to the bathroom?"

"Maybe I do. What difference does it make to you?"

"Well, if you're just going to the bathroom, not a whole lot. On the other hand, if you're running away, I was hoping you wouldn't mind some company."

"Same here." I would have jumped out of my shoes, if I had been wearing them, when I heard Tod's voice behind me. I turned and saw the silhouette of my friend in the doorway. "I thought you were asleep."

"How could I sleep worrying about my friend being out at night all alone?"

"I hadn't thought of that. I'm sorry for worrying you."

"It's okay." Before I had a chance to react, Tod took my shoes and coat, dropped the shoes in front of me, then handed the coat to Tracy.

"What are you doing?" I asked as Tracy pulled my arm through a coat sleeve.

"Just helping ya get ready to go outside," she answered. "Why don't you slip into your shoes? It's too cold out there to be wandering around barefoot."

Once I had the shoes and coat on, Tod handed a backpack to me. "What's this for?" I asked.

Even though her face was in too much shadow to see her expression, I could hear the smile in Tod's voice. "It's a long way to the nearest town, so I figured you might want some food and a change of clothes for the trip."

When she stepped out into the hall, I could see she had a similar backpack strapped to her back. "Were you planning to run away too?"

"Well, maybe not so much run away as keep you company, if ya don't mind."

I saw Tracy was wearing a backpack as well when she came around to stand on the other side of me. "I was kinda hoping I could join ya too."

I sniffled a bit, trying to keep my emotions under control as I looked back and forth between the girls. "I ... I don't think anybody ever went out of their way like this to help me before. If ya's really wanna come, I'd be glad for the company."

=-=-=

I started shivering as I followed Tod and Tracy through the front doors of the dorm. A chilly breeze blew across the silvery grass on either side of us as we followed the long sidewalk to the parking lot. "I'm so glad I took your advice and wore pants tonight, Tracy"

"So am I." Tracy's grin looked spooky in the pale moonlight. "You woulda froze your legs off in your sister's dress."

"I just wish I didn't leave it behind." Realizing how that may have sounded, I added, " Now I can't give it back to her."

"Don't worry," Tod patted my backpack. "That's the change of clothes I told ya I'd packed for ya."

"Wow, thanks." I didn't expect to feel so relieved to realize I still had the dress. Even though I couldn't imagine wearing it out in public, just having it with me made me feel a little better. I was pretty deep in thought and didn't notice the sound of an extra pair of footsteps until we had reached the parking lot.

I peeked over my shoulder and saw Madam Martinique following close behind. "Oh jeez, it's the head mistress. Run!"

I was nearly halfway through the parking lot before the girls caught up with me. They each grabbed an arm and dragged me to a stop. "What the heck are ya's doing? She's gonna catch us."

"It's okay. She just wants to help," Tod said, still panting.

"Help? How? By keeping us from running away?"

"It's not like that."

"Yeah," Tracy added. "Madam Martinique just wants to help."

"All she wants to do is keep me from running away." Rage started boiling deep in my chest. "And you two weren't trying to help me neither. You were just keeping me busy until she could catch up to us. You ... you traitors!"

"That's not a very nice thing to call your friends." She sounded just a bit out of breath as she stepped around us to face me.

I tried yanking my arms loose, but Tod and Tracy turned out to be a lot stronger than they looked. "Let me go!"

The head mistress folder her arms across her chest. "Where would you like to go?"

It took a few moments before I could think of an answer to her odd question. "Well, home, I guess."

She nodded and pulled a set of keys from her coat pocket, which jangled as she searched through them. "Ah, here we go," she muttered as she unlocked the door to a nearby car and opened the back door. "Why don't the three of you get in the back seat?"

I was almost tempted to try running again when the girls let go of my arms, but I remembered how quickly they'd caught up to me and decided to try playing along for a while until I saw a better chance of escaping.

Tod was on one side of me and Tracy on the other as we buckled ourselves into the back seat. The car rumbled to life and we pulled out onto the narrow driveway. Except for the sound of the engine, the car was very quiet. After a few minutes, I asked, "Where are we going?"

Madam Martinique stopped the car, letting it idle as she twisted around to face me. "We're going to your home."

I could feel my mouth hanging open as I tried to make sense of her answer. "Why?"

The head mistress sighed. "Our first priority here at the school is the health and safety of our students. Running away, especially for someone your age, is very dangerous. While I believe you would gain a great deal by staying at our school, I'd never be able to live with myself if any harm came to you because you felt you had no other choices besides trying to run away.

I studied her face in the harsh glow of the overhead light in the car's roof. No matter how hard I looked, I couldn't see anything resembling even a half-truth. "So, you'll really take me home?"

"Of course." She seemed to be studying me as close as I'd been studying her. "Do you want to go home?"

"I do." I grabbed her arm as she faced forward and reached for the gearshift. "But I think, at least for now, school is my home." Both Tracy and Tod squealed and hugged me. I felt guilty about doubting them earlier, and lucky that they still seemed to want to be friends with me.

Madam Martinique looked at me in the rearview mirror, as if to check to see I was sure about my decision. When I nodded, she nodded back and turned the car around. As the school came back into sight, I realized it was more than a place to learn stuff. It was a place I might actually be able to think of as home.

up
148 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Heather, I Have just Read All Of This Series

And i finf it quite enjoyable. It looks like a combination of Aunt Jane's Seasons House and Karen Pages S.P.A. series. I have enjoyed both series and I hope that you continue youe series.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Tough Love

I keep thinking of the phase compassionate tough love every time I read one of these. These kids are troubled but there is still the feeling that they come together to protect their own. A marvelous story.
hugs!
grover

Reverse psychology?!?!?!

Very clever. He attempts to escape and he is helped to do so? And the principal is willing to help? Expect the unexpected. As Batman would say about the Joker.

Hello Heather!!! ^____^ ;-D

Thanks for the next chapter. Apparently these moves by the prinicipal and the two girls got him thinking it is not all that bad. Of course he gave that speech at the dinner during introductions, then he tries to escape. That would be tough to explain if he actually carried it out.

Waiting patiently for the next chapter. At least he starting to use that noggin of his. Let's see if it is still working as he adjusts to the school's rigors. I am sure there will be some sore points on particular subjects that will challenge him to the next level.

Why about those supposed two friends of his that got him in trouble? Why aren't they in the school? They sure could use same education as well. They need it more than Billie does. I was just wondering.

Have a great week.

Rachel

Thank you!

Thank you everyone for reading, voting, and commenting on this story. While I'm pretty familiar with Karen Page's SPA universe, I'm drawing a blank on Aunt Jane's Seasons House. The title definitely sounds interesting. Tough love definitely seems to be a defining quality in Madam Martinique. Having be a troubled kid herself, she has a unique perspective on what is most likely to reach kids in a similar situation.

Although I can see some reverse psychology working here, I also feel the head mistress would have driven Billie home if he said that's what he really wanted. As far as the other kids getting him in trouble ... well, they didn't get him in as much trouble as it may seem, and they are both in the same school as Billie. Tod is Billie's roommate, who initially met him in an earlier chapter when she was coming out of class. Tracy is a friend of Tod who's also now befriending Billie.


Heather Rose Brown
Writer--Artist--Dreamer

There were two other boys

I was writing about the original boys who got Billie in trouble in being accused of stealing the wig in first place.

Hello Heather!!! ^___^ ;-D

Aunt Jane's Seasons House has several authors. Joel Lawrence at Fictionmania. Rachel Greenham, Lisa Elizabeth here at Big Closet. Tigger have Aunt Jane stories found here and at Fictionmania.

Have a wonderful week. Waiting patiently for the next chapter. Or impatiently, which ever comes first... giggle...

Rachel

stop and think

Hi Heather Rose,

I have to say i love this story. How time and again he's gently forced to stop and rethink what he actually wants instead of react to whats expected of him.

I would love see what happens when his (her?) own opinions and feelings truly come out and (s)he'll be able maker his (her?) own decisions.

Thanks and love,
Amber

Madam Martinique's

I would like to read more postings of this story. So far, it is like the students are having their insecurities strip away so that they can present one self as they feel. With that out of the way, the students would respond in a positive way.

Will there be more?

Please, could you write a few new chapters about Madam Martinique's Finishing School? I found it uniquely different and yet similar to Aunt Jane's stories and rather thoroughly enjoyed your series as well.

More story

I have some ideas for continuing this story (and about half a dozen others) sorta sitting on my mental back burner. Part of the problem is finding a way of turning those ideas into a decent sized chapter. The other part is just finding something else in my life I can take time away from so I can sit down and write.

just found this

Found the links at the end of callum/cassie, read it all in one go, absolutley brilliant. All my likes, boarding school, dress as you feel, dominant but kind head mistress hope some more chapters appear, thank you

More

I've heard the saying "always leave em wanting more " but this is frustrating when you encounter characters you like and who are being treated well by the writer, I can only hope your life and your Muse allow you to continue this series and any others you have pending. I have enjoyed your treatment of this theme. I have read all I could find of the S.P.A. series and some at least of seasons (I loved the tuck crossover, another series that left me wanting more) thank you for your good works.

not your usual take

I first read this a while ago. And liked it because it did not seem to be going down the old path of hetrosexual male being forced to become a girl and then it all works out best in the end. My take on billie is that wearing his sisters dress is more like a comfort blanket for him. Possibly she was the only one who showed him any real love. After all the mother didn't. First sighn of a boyhood prank and its using a sledgehammer to crack a peanut. Mom aurthorises the use of any means to turn him unwillingly into a girl then hopes he will forgive her. I thing these forms are for the headmistress to use as leverage againt mum once she finds out billy is not bound to end up a castrated compliant bimbo. Headmistress can say this is what you were willing to have done so you are not a fit mother so i am now responsible for billy. After a few months in a caring enviroment billy setles in but is comfortable as a boy and no longer needs sisters dress to feel safe but is still happy with his new freinds

wish it was finished

Pitty this was never finished i think it was a very promising take on an old trope. Billie wearing his sisters dress seemed more like he was using it as a comfort blanket to stay close to the one person who cared for him which obviosly the mother didn't taking him to a place were for no more than a childhood dare that many children do. She handed him over and aurthoried he be turned into a girl both phsicly and menaly using any method the school chose and then saying i hope you can forgive me someday. I hope that the reaso the headmistress got the mother to sighn them was to prove how far the mother was willing to go and therefor proved herself unfit to billy. Stoping any residual hope in him she might relent. And also to be used against the mother when she finds out he starts to develop into a happy boy under the headmistress care and is not allowed to take him back

Interesting story

I just finished reading the five chapters of this story, it's an excellent story, with an interesting twist on the finishing school concept.

Like several others here have already said, I would like to see this series continue, there are so many possibilities to explore.

E everyone

To all whom replied to this you are so smart o wish I knew what age everyone is only for what generation you are from cuz of your opened minded everyone is
Always Loving Alexis Britt

i like lt i'm girly BOI and love girls

Different realization

Jamie Lee's picture

Seems William has been the butt of a lot of jokes and name calling because he never quite fit in. That has caused him to become angry and get upset. It's also caused him not to trust what others might say or do.

Trying to do a runner has shown him something completely different, in that Tod and Tracy were willing to go with him. But not to run away, just to accompany him.

His biggest shock when he discovered Martinique wasn't going to drag him back into the school, but would actually take him to his house.

William had never been allowed to make his own decisions before, and because of the real help he was being given decided he was home.

A true gem of a story, which could use additional chapters, but is really nice as it is currently.

Others have feelings too.

*smiling*

I'm so glad you enjoyed this story! Although it's only a cameo, Madam Martinique does show up in another story I wrote, called Janegirl Camp.