Heroes For Hire Chp. 7

Printer-friendly version

“Come on Charlie. You need to get used to your new body.” Larka was running behind Charlie as they jogged around the property.

Charlie was getting used to having a tail, mouse ears and long blonde hair. Her adopted mother trimmed it for her, so she could manage it better. She had on a pair of shorts, tennis shoes, and a tank top shirt.

Larka had taken it upon himself to train Charlie. Since the two of them didn’t look human anymore, Larka was hoping Charlie would feel more comfortable with him. He started Charlie off easy and now was increasing what he wanted her to accomplish before they stopped.

Charlie stumbles as she runs away from Larka. She felt comfortable training with him because he was different. She spots where they started and put a little bit more effort into her running. Her legs were tired, and her claves were burning.

“Come on kid, you can do it.” Larka had caught up and was running beside Charlie.

Charlie puts the last bit of energy she had and sprint ahead to where they started. As soon as she crossed the starting line. She collapsed onto the ground breathing hard and exhausted. She was tired and tried to slow her breathing.

Larka looks down at Charlie as she lays on the ground breathing hard. He was proud of her and hands her a bottle of water.

“Take a small sip, Charlie.” As he hands the bottle to her.

Charlie accepts the bottled water and takes small sips from it. She was sitting up and her breathing was slowly returning to normal.

“You did good, kid.” Larka was proud of Charlie for not giving up.

“Thanks, I didn’t think I could do it.” Charlie knew she was going to be sore from stretching her leg muscles as she did.

She slowly stands up off the ground and moves over towards Larka. She could already tell that she was going to be sore. Once she is standing next to Larka “will it be okay if I use the hot tub?”

“Yes, it will be okay. Do you think you can make it, or do you need me to carry you?”

“I can make it, Larka.” Charlie starts walking towards the hot tub.

Peyton looks over towards Stacy as she stands next to her. Even though they were outside and undercover down at the shooting range. She was still covered from head to toe.

“Stacy, how come you cover your body up?” Peyton was curious and wanted to know.

“I have a skin condition. I and the sun don’t get along very well.” Stacy’s condition was only minor when she was younger, but once her ability manifest, it got worse.

Now she had to keep all her body covered up either with clothing or with a strong sunscreen lotion. If she didn’t, her skin would burn and blister. Before her power manifest, she just got a bad sunburn. Now, she blisters when the sun touches her skin for any length of time.

“Why do you cover yourself?” Stacy looks at Peyton as she stands nearby.

“Because of my injuries. I feel self-conscious of them.” Peyton was slowly overcoming how she felt about her wounds.

“I can understand that.” Stacy picks up the Glock G30sf Striker gave her to train with and fire at the target down the range.

Striker wanted everyone qualified on weapons. Jess was practicing with her energy bolts. Larka would have been with them, but he was with
Charlie helping her getting used to her new body. Her adopted mother, Dr. Greene had a medical emergency and had to leave.

Stacy was use, to using guns, but she wasn’t a marksman like Striker, Larka or Peyton. She brings the target back to her to see how well she did.

“Your grouping is good, but your aim is a little off.” Peyton could see where Stacy had missed the center and was a little to the left and down some.

“Let me see how your stance is.” Peyton sends another target down range.

Stacy takes her shooting stance. She uses the sights on the gun and aim. Once she has the target lined up, she pulls the trigger.

“Alright, holster your weapon.” Peyton brings the target back toward them.

Once the target comes forward. Peyton examines where the bullet hit the target. It was lined up better.

She sends the target back down range “I want you to shoot with just your left eye.”

“Okay” Stacy takes aim and fires.

“Alright now your right eye.” Peyton waits for Stacy to fire.

Stacy fires again with just the use of her right eye. She holsters her weapon and brings the target back. She could notice a difference in where each shot went.

“Just as I thought, you have an eye dominate problem.” Peyton thought she saw it in the first target, now this proved it.

“I can help her with that problem.” Larka comes walking up to the shooter stand.

“Where’s Charlie?” Jessie was looking for her friend.

“She’s in the hot tub relaxing. She finally made the running course in a decent time.” Larka was proud of her.

“I knew she could do it. She just had to get used to her new body.” Jess was happy her friend made it.

Striker comes walking over along with Jerry.

“What’s going on?” He looks towards Peyton and Stacy.

“Stacy has an eye dominate problem.” Peyton has seen a few while she was training.

“I can fix that problem.” Larka looks towards Striker.

“Alright, I’m leaving that to you Larka.” Striker figures Larka could handle that assignment.

“Have we heard anything from James lately?” Jerry was curious.

“Not yet, but that doesn’t mean we won’t hear from him soon.” Striker knew they should hear something soon.

Jessie shrinks and flies over towards Striker. She lands on his shoulder and watches everyone.

“I think training is over for today. Be ready tomorrow, because we are going to learn how to use squirrel suits.” Striker asked a friend of his to train his people in the use of the wingsuits.

He knew Jessie didn’t need the training, but she should have it. Now that Stacy was with them, she needed to learn as well. He does wonder what would happen if she phased through any object while falling?

“Squirrel suits?” Stacy looks at Striker for him to explain to her what that was.

Peyton saw Stacy’s look “wingsuits. We’re going to learn how to use wingsuits.”

“You mean we're going up in a perfectly good airplane and jump out of it?” Stacy has never done anything like that.

“Yep, and if you resist. I’m going to push you out.” An evil smile appears on Larka’s face.

“You wish. You forget I can turn intangible.” Stacy wonders if her powers would let her glide down since she wouldn’t weight anything.

“But can you hold your breath the whole way down?” Larka remembered Stacy demonstrating her powers to them and knew she needed to
hold her breath while she was phasing.

Stacy just glare at him. She has never gone up in a plane or parachute out of one. She wonders why Striker was training them to use one.

“Don’t worry Stacy, it’s not as bad as you think it is.” Jerry has jumped out of a plane before and loved it.

Stacy just looks at Jerry like he was nuts. She knew Jerry could change things around him.

“Easy for you to say.” She knew she was going to have to be completely covered when she jumps.

“You’ll enjoy it, Stacy. Come on, let's go and grab a snack.” Jerry escorts Stacy inside the house.

They spot mouse when they come in. She was sitting at the counter eating a Banana split sundae. She was wearing one of the t-shirt dresses
Dr. Greene bought her. April was putting away everything she used to make the sundae for Charlie.

“Hey, I want one.” Jerry saw what Charlie was eating and wanted one.

“How about you Stacy, would you like one as well?” April looks towards their newest member.

“Sure, thank you.” Stacy knew April was the house manager and the head cook.

She also knew April had the ability to grow plants and such. April and Striker have known each other for a long time. She has always taken care of his place.

April makes Jerry and Stacy a banana sundae. Afterward she puts the ingredients away. She glances over towards Charlie and notices she had some whip cream on her pink nose.

“Sit still, Charlie.” As she removes the whipped cream with a hand towel.

“Thank you.” Charlie smiles at April.

April was fun to be around, and she let her help in the kitchen. Charlie liked her because she was a kind person.

“You’re welcome, sweetie.” April liked Charlie and felt that she should have never had to experience what she did.

up
150 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

It could be a long

time fore the heavily modified people to adjust to their new realities.