To Be or Not to Be, That is the Existential Question: Chapter 3: Who Am I to Be

Printer-friendly version

Author: 

Caution: 

Audience Rating: 

Publication: 

Genre: 

Character Age: 

TG Themes: 

Permission: 

"To Be or Not to Be, That is the Existential Question" If given the power of a comic book superhero, is that person obligated to play the part for the greater good?

To Be or Not to Be, That is the Existential Question

Chapter 3: Who Am I to Be

Last Time:

"Fair enough Doc. My new name is Glenyth, Glenyth Aonani Larsen, and it's nice to meet you too.

The doctor says, "Good to know, now we can get your papers ready. It won't take too long. The results of the blood tests will take a couple of days to a week. But you can come back for that."

We all watch the blood tech as she prepares to draw a sample. I never liked seeing my own blood so I turned to look past the tech, over her shoulder. She says to be ready, just a small pinch. I barely felt the needle when I heard multiple gasps.

And Now:

The tech was just removing the first vial of my blood as I turned my head back down to see what the others had seen. It startled me enough that whatever it was that protected me came back on. When it activated it incinerated the needle in my arm. It also vaporised my PJs.

If instantly becoming naked was bad enough, it was nothing compared to the sight of the one vial of my blood between the fingertips of the tech's hand. The blood was normal in color except for it glowed from it's own inner radiance, and tiny sparks of energy flashing between the individual blood cells.

The doctor took the vial of blood from the tech to get a closer look at it. Without meaning to speak, "Facinating!" Came from his lips. As the tech took the sample back, she passed it close by the scanner they use to read your hospital bracelet. As it passed by the scanner, it made a bunch of noise, started smoking, then in a shower of sparks, it shorted out and died.

Everyone seemed to talk at once, but the essence of it all was wondering what that meant. The doctor asked for quiet, then, "If I might try something?" Without waiting for our reply, he quickly picked up the vial where the tech had carefully set it down.

The doctor went to the doorway and with the hand opposite the one with the vial, turned off the overhead lights. He next slowly brought the vial of my blood to the light switch. When it was near enough, the lights slowly came back up. The closer it got, the brighter the lights shined. Until the first light popped and went dark. He moved it away again and turn the switch back on.

The doctor told the tech he would take care off the sample himself and excused her. It was just then that Byron came back with a cart almost running down the blood tech. He excused himself in passing her.

On that cart was a couple boxes of pizza and a half dozen bottles of water. Before realizing he might be interrupting something, he says, "The kitchen didn't really have anything that a teenager might care for, so I went across the street to the Chicago Style pizza place. I hope you like sausage, pepperoni, Canadian bacon, with meatballs and pineapple. It was all they had ready to go, but it's their best seller."

The doctor says, "Thanks Byron, come in and close the door, please." He says to us, "Because of what just happened in here, I think we need to keep everything here as quiet as we can." After we nodded in agreement, "Byron here and the blood tech that just left are two people that I can trust implicitly, so we can keep Glenyth's secret, to just us."

I wave the pizza boxes over, "That's fine, but I'm so hungry I could eat a house!" Devouring the first slice like I inhaled it. It was just the right thing. And hit the spot. I grabbed for a second piece.

Mom seemed mortified at my behavior, but all the 'guys' laughed. Byron said, "You know I was just kidding before," When I didn't understand, "About the clothes, you didn't have to undress for me."

I must have blushed to my toes, because they all started laughing. After that, ever body grabbed a slice of pizza and a bottle of water. We ate in silence for a while.

My folks and the doctor only had a single piece, claiming the deep dish style, filled them up very fast. Byron and I each almost finished half a pizza. While I slowly chewed on my last piece, I started humming the theme mustic for a favorite movie that had its roots in comic books.

Just as I get to the last line, Byron finishes it for me, "Heros on the half shell, Turtle power!" I almost spit the last mouthful across the room, and we burst into laughter.

>>>>--------------->

We discussed what had happened and decided that, while I could consciously control my 'shield', that the probability was that if I was aware, I shouldn't lose control like I had before. The doctor theorized that given some fairly basic training, a repeat of the incident was unlikely.

"But what does it mean for my blood to look as it does?" I asked.

The doctor says, "I think it means that your body, in the process of being transformed, has become able to store vast quantities of energy. All because of your meta-gene. And before you ask, there is no way to tell how much your body can hold."

My father asks, "If you had to guess, though Ben, what do you think are the upper limits of her power?"

He shakes his head, "If I had to make a wild hairs ass guess, ..." Thinking, "Strictly in electrical terms, nuclear. Enough to power a large city at capacity use for quite a long time. We're just lucky that the field she, has protecting her, also protects us from her. Though with practice, I'd say she will be able to direct her power like a weapon."

Mom asked, "Is she going to be ok though? Can she lead a normal life?"

This was a lot to have going through my head all at one time. Then, I started to shake my head, realizing the last thing I remember before this all started. And I had to laugh.

They all had worried looks on their faces, and it was clear that they all shared at least some of the same fear. What happens if I ever truly have a meltdown. I reined in my laughter and tried to put them all at ease. "I was just remembering what we were discussing in class before this happened. It was about if someone had the power(s) to help their fellow person, whether they should be required to use it."

Dad got it first, "It's like in the Spiderman movie where his uncle tells him, 'With great power, comes great responsibility'. Glenyth, just promise your mother and me, that if this is something you start, that you at least get the training you need."

Mom adds, "And don't forget, you still need to learn what it is to be a young woman. And you still have to go to school. We want you to have the chance to go to college with all the experience that comes with that."

I said, "You're both right and I have a lot to think about. But for right now, PLEASE, tell me that you brought some other clothes."

"Yes, I did." she turns to the closet and returns with, you'll never guess what. Cause I forgot that I had two of them. That's right, another pair of Transformers PJs, these in blue.

>>>>--------------->

The doctor said that he should have my parers ready for me to leave in an hour or so and told mom, if she wanted to go pick up some clothes before I got to leave, he had my sizes from an electrical scanner that was said to be pretty accurate. She accepted the paper, gave me a kiss and hurried for the door.

I tried to stop her to say nothing special, just something basic to get us home. Dad chuckled, saying, "If your mom had a super power, it would be clothes shopping for a new daughter."

I just groaned at that shaking my head, while the others had a laugh.

Dad suggested putting on the PJs while the doctor got started on the papers and gestured the others out of the room. I didn't see the point for a mere hour or so. But if it made him happy, then, okay.

With the door closed, I gave myself a better inspection in the mirror. After a short time in front of the mirror, I had to reassess my opinion of my looks. I was way beyond just cute, even more than beautiful. With my looks, I could probably ask any man to do something for me, and they were likely to do it fast. Most likely women too.

I wasn't trying to be vain. It's just the way society is. One thing for sure is, that if I wasn't careful, I could find myself on the super villain side of the power scale. I had to admit that it might be fun for a little while, in the long run, that's not what I wanted out of life.

>>>>--------------->

I got dressed and dad came back into the room and we had a talk. You know the one I'm talking about. Yeah, that one. Now you have to understand that dad had never had the 'talk' to me as a boy, he always seemed to busy to take the time. Guess he figured that mom would cover what I needed to know, and school would fill in the blanks.

I know that he thought that if was now a girl, that he had a greater responsibility to make sure I knew all about the birds and bees. And I know that I should be embarrassed that he was talking about sex to me. But I didn't.

I took his hand and looked him straight in the eye, "Dad, you have no idea how much it means to me that you think you need to give me the 'talk', but thankfully, having come from the other side of the fence so to speak, you can stop now. I have the unique understanding how the male mind works, and there is no way, no how, any guy, is going to touch this." Waving the other hand up and down my body.

Dad smiled, "You say that now, but I remember a certain five year old child that thought playing with his female cousin was, icky and gross. So you can never say what the future has in store for you. You may continue to like girls or change your mind about boys. But that is your choice."

I answered, "It's not like as an overweight, nerdy kid, I had much experience with girls either, but definitely liked them in that way."

Dad hugged me, "Well, as beautiful as you are now, you are going to have both boys and girls seeking you affection. Just beware the girls who grew up as pretty being jealous of you now. Between that and the powers, you will have a tough line to walk."

I said, "Just promise me, that you will always keep me on the path of right and justice."

"You'll always be daddies good girl."

>>>>--------------->

One thing I decided was that hugs were nice. Not long after, mom returned with only a couple of shopping bags. Far less than I feared.

Mom gave me a look that said, this was the best I could do on short notice, but said, "I figured that for the time being, you wouldn't want to stray far from what you're used to. So, to cover a couple of days, I picked out a few things."

She proceeded to empty the contents of the bags she had on the bed and began to sort through it. There was a few pairs of loose fit women's BDU pants, what some call, cami's or camo's, marked low rise hip. One was actual camo patterned and the other two were solids, ranger green and desert tan. Then there was a bunch of thin strap tank tops, the kind that girls layer a few of.

I started to thank her until the last bag was emptied, bras and panties. Black, tan and white cotton. Everyday undies. Mom says, "You know Glenyth, girls and boys are different. Girls never wear the same clothes two days in a row. This will just get us to the mall where we can do some real shopping. These are casual, knock around clothes."

It wasn't too much longer and the doctor showed up with a manilla envelope, He said, "you're good to go for now. You are now official. Here is a revised birth certificate, driver's license, school ID and bank cards. Your bank accounts have already been changed." Looking at dad, "All you need to do is change the info on her insurance."

Mom, dad and I all thanked the doctor for being such a tremendous help. I even hugged him before he turned to leave. Yeah, I really like hugs.

At the door, he turned back, "I almost forgot. In the envelope is a card with Byron and my phone numbers. If you need anything or get in trouble, call one of us. I'll leave to to change and go. Just remember that I want to see you, end of next week. Good luck kiddo."

It didn't take long to change clothes. As we made our way to dad's car, semi hidden on the side street of the hospital, a 2018 Mitsubishi Evo Xi custom built.

Joanna_Dark_Zero_Camo.jpg

We just had sat down in the car and latching the seat belts when dad's cell phone rang, he answered, "Yes Red Dragon. We're just leaving now." I can hear some heated discussion dad was having with the person on the other end of the call. My aunt Connie. Dad only called her Red Dragon when he wanted her to know that she was interrupting him.

End of Chapter 3

Thank You for Reading!

Mopar

Goddess Blessings!

up
169 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Interestinger and interestinger

It's a good thing that she doesn't seem to be bothered by being buck nekkid, since there seems to be a lot of that in her future. Especially if she decides to do the whole superhero thing.

But hey, if there is a bullet flying at her at mach two or three, better nekkid than punctured.

I wonder if she's going to be able to get a bulk discounts on clothes -- particularly hero type spandex suits.

Probability

Mopar's picture

Well Ray, I would think it's more of a control issue over an involuntary reaction. Beyond that, I remember in one Superman (The New Adventures of Lois and Clark, I think) episode, one person asked the question 'why doesn't Superman's costume burn or shred when he flies at mach speeds. The scientist said that his body generated an aura or energy field a few mm's away from his skin. So it would be something similar to that.

Thanks for Reading!

Mopar

Goddess Blessings!

I'm guessing...

I'm guessing that she'll figure out how to extend her protective aura a few mm out from her skin and be forced, FORCED! to wear spandex in order to keep from zapping her own clothes. At least, she'll do that when she is battling the bad guys.

It's obvious she has some kind of control, since she doesn't zap the bed.

It seems that, in most universes, everyone that gets superpowers decides to use them to beat up other people -- either to enrich themselves, or for the common good.

There have to be other uses for the powers that are equally useful to humanity. For example, someone who is super strong and invulnerable could go into the Chernobyl power plant and drag out and entomb all of the radioactive waste. Or rescue people from fires. Or create big fire breaks around the wildfires in California.

Agree

Mopar's picture

I agree there, superpowers should do those things that could help humanity, and they deserve to be paid for their work. But, here is where the problem lays. Pay is commiserate with risk, so most SP's wouldn't be paid what they are truly worth just like the rest of us working slobs. You can almost see the reason that some might turn to villainy.

Thanks for Reading!

Mopar

Goddess Blessings!

So already the bad guys are

So already the bad guys are waiting for her to appear. Just being seen driving a 2018 Mitsubishi Evo Xi should be ego damaging enough.

I Like It

Mopar's picture

From the way you said it Janice, it seems you're not fond of Evo Xi. I do like the car, but would never own one, the price on them are just too high! I think the worst thing I could say about the car is back a few years ago (07-08), it advertised as the last Evo. They continued to build them until 2014. Given the choice and money was no object, it would pick something to build that hasn't been done before and use either (most likely) a Subaru motor and drive train or Nissan.

Thanks for Reading!

Mopar

Goddess Blessings!

Cars

I'll take a Jeep with wheel motors and either plenty of batteries or a small generator.

odd

...that nickname is suspicious. As was the doctor's understanding of metagenes and lack of reaction. Something is a bit off about their world, methinks there's more people like her out there including her aunt!?!?!

I'm told STFU more times in a day than most people get told in a lifetime

?

Mopar's picture

Which nickname do you refer to?

Thanks for Reading!

Mopar

Goddess Blessings!

adding up

Her aunt's nickname...it's too odd to be an in-joke. The lack of a military or federal response, the fact that the doctor seemed to know a lot more than he appeared to know about metagenes, and now a nickname for her aunt that is akin to a codename for someone in either the military or a superhero/supervillain...it's looking more and more peculiar. I won't speculate further as I think I might be getting too close to a big reveal or spoil a future part, but I've read a bit too many superhero comics to not see a series of coincidences that add up to something more than it appears.

I'm told STFU more times in a day than most people get told in a lifetime

To say I like your work is an

understatement. Do you self edit? Nothing slipped through the cracks that I saw.

Sweet

Mopar's picture

That's very sweet of you to say Wendy. I use Reverso Grammar and Spellchecker, though at times it doesn't always get it. By that I mean it will sometimes change a word because it doesn't understand the context. But, mostly it is accurate.

Thanks for Reading!

Mopar

Goddess Blessings!

Self control

Jamie Lee's picture

Now that she is out of the hospital she needs to learn self control quickly or she may end up naked at the wrong time, not only flashing people but showing them powers she might not want them to see.

Others have feelings too.

Cars

Sara Hawke's picture

Dodge Charger Hellcat: 204mph. ...
Bentley Flying Spur W12S: 202mph. ...
Cadillac CTS-V Sedan: 200mph. ...
Jaguar XE SV Project 8: 200mph. ...
Porsche Panamera Turbo S E-Hybrid: 193pmh. ...
Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio: 191mph. ...
Maserati Quattroporte GranSport GTS: 191mph. ...
BMW M5: 190mph. these are other choices and four door

Emotion, yet peace.
Ignorance, yet knowledge.
Passion, yet serenity.
Chaos, yet harmony.
Contemplation, yet duty
Death, yet the Force.
Light with dark, I remain Balanced.

Speed

Tesla Roadster: 250 MPH

0-60 in 1.9 seconds
0-100 in 4.2 seconds
261 miles estimated range (but probably not at 250 MPH.)

I never thought that I would see the day that a battery powered car would beat all of those expensive super cars.