The Voyage of the Visund -14-

Printer-friendly version

Ursula finally gets to experience the city of Joth as she is taken to have her hair done. Afterwards, in the market, an opportunity presents itself... cue haste, confusion, desperation and sudden violence.

grakh on parch

The Voyage of the Visund

A tale of Anmar by Penny Lane

14 - Street Life


Disclaimer: The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended. This story is copyright (c) 2018 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.



The light coming around the edges of the drapes was bright, but it was still early. Ursula had heard the clock chime earlier but had no idea what the bell sequence meant. She lay on her back in the bed and thought about what had happened to her the last few days.

Maralin was right, this whole problem is going to be difficult to solve.

...Even if Maralin only exists inside my head, I cannot disagree with his analysis.

...Which might prove, as he has repeatedly said, that his story is the same as mine. In most ways, except that he tells me that he has gone from woman to man while I have gone from man to woman.

Which is impossible!

...Which in turn means that I am still on Earth.

But everything I see, everything I eat and drink, everything I have been shown, points powerfully to the opposite conclusion.

He is right, though. I have three choices, and I can only find an answer by myself.

Firstly, it is possible that I have made myself so paranoid that I am, actually, insane. That everything I have experienced around me is inside my own head.

Secondly, that somehow I have been caught and that I am being held... somewhere... where they can experiment on me to find out what I know. What is around me seems completely real, but that could be drugs or hypnotism or... something new from the west, perhaps? Whatever it is, it does seem very real.

Lastly, I could somehow really be here, as a woman, on another planet.

She shuddered. The feelings of relief, of the possibility of finally being able to be what she should have been in the first place, were very strong. Just as strong was the realization that, if she was on another planet, she would be safe from her pursuers, that as the Duke had told her, nobody here cared about her past, only what she might be able to contribute to her present circumstances.

I would really, REALLY like that to be true, she told herself wistfully. I can be me, and knowing what I do I could make a difference here.

The problem is that I do not think there is any way I can prove which choice is right!

...And I might even make myself crazy by obsessing over this for too long!

She lay there in the early morning light, fully aware that her thought processes were stuck in a vicious loop and that was in turn contributing to her state of mind. Eventually, there were sounds from the servants' room and Bennet sleepily opened the door.

"Good morning, Mistress Ursula. Did you sleep well?"

Ursula shifted herself up onto an elbow with a yawn. "Not as well as I should have done, Bennet. Good morning. As you must know, I have a lot to think about."

"Then perhaps I must needs distract you with some practical matters. If I may go first in the toilet?"

Ursula waved assent before swinging her legs off the bed and finding her slippers. After Bennet emerged, Ursula took her place and then they began the business of bathing, neither requiring any special activities this morning.

"What should I wear this morning, then? I will be going out into the city to have my hair done."

"It will be warm enough today, I deem," Bennet replied, "that you could wear the undyed summer one - the one you wore on the Visund. As we walked through the streets yesterday, we found that the buildings warmed up as the day progressed so that it became stifling by the time we had finished. Her Highness remarked that we should feel more comfortable when we are wearing our new attire."

"You could be right. I'll wear that one and... oh, I'll have to wear an old bodice. I wonder when the bras are going to arrive?"

The armswoman shrugged. "Could be today, might not be until tomorrow, Mistress. I am familiar with the timings of the Palace Wardrobe, I knew roughly how long they would take to make anything, but I do not know how His Grace's seamstresses in the city work. If I might suggest, we should ask Her Grace about the laundry facilities when we go downstairs. In this weather, our underwear should take little time to dry."

The armsman at the top of the stairs when they emerged was someone new, a dark-skinned man who showed strong African roots. He eyed them with interest.

Bennet saluted him. "Good morning. I don't think that we have met before. I am Guardswoman Bennet and this is Mistress Ursula."

The man saluted them in the Jothan fashion, with a smile that showed a row of perfect white teeth.

"Good morning, Mistress Bennet, Mistress Ursula. I am Mamoot, I have a night duty this week which is why, perhaps, you have not seen me before. If I may accompany you?"

"Surely."

The three walked down the stairs.

Bennet asked, "Forgive me for asking, but you are not from the Great Valley?"

"But I am, Mistress, I was born in Joth. My parents, though, are from Tel Botro in the north, beyond the Stone Sea. My father became a wagon guard for a trader and traveled to the Great Valley on a number of occasions. Eventually, he was offered a post here in Joth and decided to bring my mother down." He smiled. "Then I was born and things changed. Here we are." He gestured to the door into the dining room. "Enjoy your meal."

Inside, they found that Fanis had already arrived and lost no time telling her of their domestic concerns. She explained the arrangement for laundry, telling them that since the Ducal couple had moved back they had needed to make some changes.

"Our original laundry had been wrecked by the Yodans, so a new one must needs be built. It is further away and not so convenient for the mansion. I begin to wonder if my husband's ideas for expanding beyond the walls may, in fact, be of some help in such matters."

"I could not say, Your Grace," Bennet said, "as all I know is the King's palace, which has its own laundry. I will make sure that a bag containing all our washing is left outside our door before we go anywhere this morning."

"Thank you, dear, that will be fine. I expect that you will also be awaiting your new clothes, I received word late yesterday that some seamstresses would attend the mansion this afternoon with some items, perhaps of underwear." She smiled at the two. "I didn't want to burden Wallesan with such talk last night, not as we were going to climb up to the wall."

"Thank you, Your Grace, that is good news," Bennet said. "I await the afternoon with interest."

Fanis raised an eyebrow. "And the morning? I thought that you were going to go out with Ursula today."

Bennet shook her head. "I regret that I will not be accompanying Mistress Ursula this morning, Your Grace. During our mock battle yesterday, my sword was nicked and I must needs go to your armorer to have it remedied. Her Highness has asked Semma to accompany Mistress Ursula today."

The Duchess smiled. "And I have a guide arranged to see them safely around the city streets today, though she has not yet arrived. Ah, here is Eriana with Semma, I see."

Eriana greeted those already there with a smile. "Good morrow to you all." She frowned. "I have greeted people that way all my life, it is an automatic habit, I deem, but perhaps not what folk in the Valley are familiar with. Should I change it, Fanis?"

Fanis smiled. "Just think of it as a personal quirk, dear. Everybody knows what it means, I see no harm in it. Although... it may depend on how you desire others to see you. Do you wish to be seen as a true Princess of Palarand now, or are you content to be as a mercenary in their employ?"

The Princess frowned. "As you put it that way... I have given my oath to Robanar and I now call his palace my home, being estranged from my father and from Einnland. Mayhap I must needs consider my words more carefully in future. My thanks to you, Fanis, for your thoughts."

Eriana, Bennet and Semma were in their uniforms, which made sense today, but Ursula wondered how a female bodyguard would be viewed by the city folk. It had already become apparent to her over the days that women in arms were extremely unusual, which meant that it was possible a few fools might try something just to see what happened.

Wallesan appeared and, after the usual greetings, everyone headed for the tables. As they were sitting down Maralin appeared, out of breath.

"If I may offer my apologies, Your Grace! I have spent too long in the kitchens this morning."

The Duke looked amused. "Describing new dishes, Maralin, or attending Renita?"

He blushed. "A little of each, Your Grace. It should not happen again."

Wallesan waved a hand. "Sit, sit. You are a valued member of my household, of course you may attend the kitchen... and those who work there. Apology accepted."

The servants began putting food on the table and everyone started to eat. By now Ursula was familiar with the type and range of food and drink provided at meals and could easily find something she preferred. After the meal, as the diners were rising, a woman came through the doors looking flustered.

"Your Grace! Your Grace, my most humble apologies! My eldest son Taran was not well this morning, I had to call for a healer. I am sorry that I could not join you for breakfast, and that I did not think to send a message."

Fanis walked over to the woman, taking her by the hand. "Tavia, Tavia, do not worry! If your son is ill then of course he must be first in your thoughts and deeds. We are just rising, there is no cause for concern here. Now, whatever is the matter with him?"

"I am grateful for your understanding, Your Grace. You know that Taran assists his father in the Great Hall?" Fanis nodded. "He fell from a ladder yesterday afternoon, we thought it was but a bruise on his leg but this morning his left knee has swollen up and is very painful."

"Oh, no! What do the healers say?"

"It is probably still a bruise, but Senia says that fluid might have built up around the joint. They have given him a poultice and made him sit with it raised up for a day or two. He is not happy about it, as you may imagine."

"Indeed! Boys are so active at that age, are they not?" Fanis turned to the other women. "If I may introduce Tavia, who is a close friend of mine. She is the wife of a city Alderman and knows our fair city well. Tavia, I have the great honor to introduce you to some ladies who have recently traveled from Palarand by ship with Wallesan. This is Her Highness Princess Eriana."

"Oh, my!" The woman curtseyed deep. "A unexpected honor, Your Highness."

Eriana inclined her head. "A pleasure to meet any friend of Fanis, I am sure."

Fanis said, "With her are Bennet and Semma, both Guardswomen of His Majesty, can you believe, who are companions to Eriana."

Since both were in uniform, they saluted.

"Can you really use those swords?"

"Aye, Mistress," Bennet replied, "Though as yet we have found no need to use them."

"Strange, to see women bearing arms! Is this to be our future, Your Grace?"

Fanis smiled. "Mayhap, but I doubt you will see many, even in Joth. These two, of course, may accompany Eriana where a man may not go."

"But of course! How useful."

"And this is Mistress Ursula," the Duchess continued, "who joined Eriana's ship as they journeyed upriver. It is Ursula, as you can see, who must needs have the services of a hairdresser today."

Ursula felt that a short dip was called for in the name of politeness.

The woman's eyes narrowed. "As I see. Unusually short hair, but we all know that is sometimes a necessity. I am sure that Letina can do something with it, even so. Mistress Ursula, I am pleased to make your acquaintance. Your Grace, is it only the Mistress who I am taking today?"

Fanis replied smoothly, "Since none of our guests are yet familiar with the ways of Joth, I have suggested that you take one of Eriana's guardswomen with you today to keep Mistress Ursula company, and perhaps to learn some of the streets. Semma desires some exercise and, possibly, to obtain some small items in the market, if you please."

"Why, of course! It will be no trouble to go and browse the stalls, once Letina has attended to Mistress Ursula's hair."

A quarter of a bell later, the three women walked under the entrance arch, below what Ursula now understood was a large and ancient clock mechanism. Outside, the morning sun was shining on a typical street scene in this strange city. There were buildings in what she thought looked like a European medieval style, except that she could not identify any recognizable national variations. There were wooden sidewalks here, raised above the street by a half meter or so, with steps down to the roadway every so often.

The street was busy, with groups of men, women and children going about their business, all dressed in colorful local attire. In the roadway, several of the large creatures which Bennet had called dranakhs were pulling large wagons along, while some mounted men were picking their way slowly between on smaller animals. Almost every adult man in sight wore a sword.

Tavia turned along the street, pointing. "This is called Mansion Street, if you did not guess, and if either of you do become lost, you have only to ask to be returned to the Duke's Mansion and all will know where to bring you."

"Aye, and thank you," Semma said. "Yesterday I walked with Her Highness the other way, down to the docks where our ship is, but not this way."

"Of course, you would have arrived that way, would you not? What do you think of Joth, then?"

"Certainly different to the city of Palarand, which is all I know," Semma replied. "There the city has long overflowed the walls and spread out over the surrounding land. I find Joth to be interesting, Mistress."

"I have traveled to Forguland and to Smordan but no further -"

Their guide chattered on about the differences between various cities as they crossed the roadway into a narrower street, with buildings overhanging the cobbles below. Ursula noted that there were no sidewalks here but the entrance doors opened directly onto the street, every one being reached by climbing a meter or so of stone steps. Below this level, the walls were blank except for some narrow horizontal slots at ground level, each protected by an iron grille, and iron rings, presumably for hitching the riding animals.

At the far end of the short street, they crossed a wider one and entered another so narrow it might almost have been termed an alley. Here, Ursula could take a closer look at the buildings, finding them of a typical medieval style, with lower storeys of brick and wooden frames with brick or plaster infill above, these being painted in a variety of jolly colors. The windows were like those in the Duke's mansion, of a fair size but composed of small glass shapes held together with lead strips.

Halfway along this street, Tavia climbed a set of double-faced steps and opened the wide door at the top. Inside was an entrance hallway with the usual doors either side and a staircase going up one side. They were greeted by a young woman sitting at a table just beyond the staircase who came forward as they entered the hall.

"Mistress Tavia! And friends. You are expected... though I believe that the message said only one."

"That is true, Kanidet, the other is here as her companion. If I may introduce Mistress Ursula, who desires the services of Mistress Letina, and Semma, who as you may see is a Guardswoman of His Majesty. Both are presently staying with Their Graces." Tavia shrugged. "If you are not busy, I am sure that Semma could be attended as well if she desired."

Kanidet cocked her head, looking thoughtfully at Semma's hair, finally nodding.

"It seems in good condition, Mistress, but if you have no objection we could look at the ends for you. I know that constant washing is good for the hair but can also encourage split ends."

Semma was doubtful. "If you are sure. I do not wish to cause delay to any of your other customers."

The attendant smiled. "It will be no trouble, Mistress. As your party has come from the Duke's mansion, at the request of the Duchess, we shall of course attend you directly. As it happens you will delay no-one this morning. If you would all follow me."

She led them through a rear door into a large bright room at the back of the building. On one side wall were three of the polished metal mirrors, and each had a comfortable upright chair in front of it. There were side tables of tools, jugs and basins of water and the usual things which one might find in such an establishment. An older woman who was obviously the proprietor came forward.

"Mistress Letina, if I may introduce two guests of His Grace, Mistress Ursula and Guardswoman Semma. I believe that Her Grace requested our services for Mistress Ursula, but since we have a spare chair I could attend Mistress Semma. Her hair should only require slight attention today."

The woman nodded. "Welcome to you both, I am Letina. Please, both of you be seated. Yes, Kanidet, you may attend Mistress Semma, but we must needs keep an eye on the front door, I am expecting Mistress Handiss at the fourth bell."

"As you say, Mistress."

Letina smiled at Ursula as she sat but then frowned at the state of her hair.

"If I may ask, Mistress, however did your hair come to be in this state? It is unusually short, if I may say so."

"That is an awkward question, Mistress Letina. It seems that I may have been traveling for some time but for most of that time I had lost my memory. I only regained it the day before yesterday, so I have no idea why it is as you see it."

"Traveling? Oh, you have come far, then? I can tell from your accent that you are not from anywhere nearby in the Valley."

Ursula thought. What do I tell her? Maybe the truth will serve - or at least what they already know to be the truth.

"Um, the last thing I remember from before that, I was in a wild part of a country called Alberta," she said. "The next thing I knew, I woke up in the Duke's Mansion, but I am told I was found on the banks of the Sirrel about seven days before that. So you see, anything might have happened to my hair."

"Oh! I see! How sad for you, Mistress, to lose so much of your life that way." Letina examined the hair carefully from all directions. "I see that, since you have arrived at Joth, your hair has been looked after as well as anyone might expect, it is merely a style that is lacking. Have you had any thoughts how you desire it to look?"

"I do not, but thinking about it, a short style could be practical. Can you just shape it, perhaps?"

"Of course I can, Mistress, though I must needs be careful since few customarily wear their hair so short in Joth. I am told, however, that short styles are becoming popular in Palarand these days." Letina turned to Semma, who was in the next chair having a cape wrapped around her. "Can you advise me, Mistress? I see from your attire and sash that you are from Palarand yourself."

"That is true," Semma agreed. "The short styles are a new fashion introduced by Princess Garia after she arrived in Palarand, probably because her own hair was short. We are told they are common in her homeland."

"Princess Garia? Really?" Letina's eyes lit up. "Have you seen her yourself? I must know more, if such styles are to come to Joth as well. If a Princess is the cause, then many women may desire a similar style, I deem."

Semma chuckled. "Aye, you are definitely right, Mistress. Half the female servants of His Majesty's palace now have short styles, as do many in the city. Aye, I know Her Highness, indeed, she has personally attended some of our training sessions." She added, "Indeed! Princess Garia is the only reason why I am a Guardswoman of His Majesty at all. Until she arrived, no-one could believe that any woman could attempt such things. She showed us differently, she is shorter than I but I know that even His Majesty's Armsmaster was reluctant to face her in the ring."

"Do you tell me? Maker! I did not know she was like that! Is she of an imposing stature, then?"

"Mistress, she is shorter than I am, and lighter. I cannot tell you very much about her abilities, but it is said that they impressed the King and Queen barely days after she arrived, such that she was given a suite next door to Their Majesties own."

"Maker! In Joth we have heard many tales of the Princess, some of which I can scarcely believe. And you are a woman-at-arms? Is that the proper term? So strange! Can you really use that sword you carry?"

Semma had removed her sword belt and hung it on one of the coat pegs behind the door before taking her seat.

"Mistress, I have been trained to use it, by the best in the Kingdom, but I have not yet faced battle. I am told that, until that happens, no-one may say how a man, or indeed a woman, may respond."

Letina shuddered. "I cannot imagine how I would react, save mayhap to freeze. I do not think battle is in the nature of a woman, but you obviously think differently."

"Mistress, I cannot disagree, but Princess Garia has shown us that perhaps we are not so different than the men after all."

"Well! And now I must needs attend to my client's hair, otherwise we shall be exchanging gossip all day." Letina's eyes glowed. "...But I dearly wish to learn more about the Princess, the palace, and all that has happened recently, and from someone who knows the truth. You do not suppose that I could visit you at the Duke's Mansion while you stay there?"

Semma looked uncomfortable. "Mistress, I am but a woman-at-arms, as you say, and I am companion and attendant to another Princess, Princess Eriana, who captains the ship we arrived on. Thus, I have duties and obligations and I do not think -"

Letina blushed. "I am so stupid! Of course, you are busy and may not have time for idle chatter. My apologies, Mistress, I should not have imposed. Another Princess, you say? My! Mayhap the tales we have heard have confused the two, making them seem a single amazing person."

The armswoman grinned. "Aye, you may be right, Mistress, but I can promise you that both are truly remarkable, without needing any tall tales."

"Indeed! Now, about Princess Eriana, we have heard -"

* * *

The three women trooped down the steps and back onto the street with some relief.

"I must apologize, Mistresses, about Mistress Letina. If I had known that she was going to ask so many questions I might have chosen to take you to a different establishment."

"Thank you for your concern, Mistress," Semma replied, "but no apology is required, if you think of it. Once people found out where I was from, I was always going to be asked such questions, it would not matter who did my hair."

"You may be right, Mistress, but I should have thought about what would happen and warned you. It may have saved you from talking so much. Still, you have both benefited from attention to your hair, I deem. Why, Mistress Ursula, I might even consider having mine shortened if the result is what I see on you."

Ursula's hair had been cut so that it all cleared her shoulders but hid her ears and jaw line. The ends presently hung straight down but she had been told that it might curl under after a day or two. Letina had rubbed something on it that made it shine in the sunlight. A black ribbon had been tied over the top and behind her ears, keeping her hair from her forehead. Seeing it in the mirror, she had thought of "Alice in Wonderland" and was glad that the ribbon was black, not white.

"I must admit that the result looks good," she agreed. "I have never worn it like this before but I might keep it this way in future."

"Could be practical on board," Semma offered, before: "Oh! I am so sorry, Mistress! I have made an assumption based on nothing at all."

That brought Ursula up short.

It is no worse than any of the assumptions I have been making. I had assumed that I would remain here in Joth while the Visund just sailed away. Perhaps, perhaps that has not been decided yet?

What do I want to do? What choices would there be? Do I even have a choice?

Caught in her own thoughts, Ursula distractedly waved a hand.

"Nobody has yet decided anything, Semma. We have only been here a few days and Her Highness said that she would stay until her men's injuries had healed. There should be plenty of time for me to decide what I want to do."

Tavia said, "Oh! But I thought... I assumed that you were of Princess Eriana's party, Mistress. What a curious circumstance!"

Ursula smiled at Tavia. "Mistress, curious does not begin to describe the situation. Today, it is not important, however. I doubt anyone will be going anywhere until the seamstresses of Joth have provided for us, so we all have plenty of time to make plans."

"As you say! Melisent told me that several of the Princess's party had need of suitable summer gowns and other items, and that must include you both. Oh, look, we must needs go along to the end of here and turn down the next street."

Tavia was fond of her own voice and chattered away as they traversed several streets in succession, finding out more about the session where Maralin had revealed his designs. Because of this, Ursula was distracted and had become somewhat confused about their route, wondering what would happen if she became lost.

This place is bigger than I first thought. I wonder where we are in relation to the Duke's Mansion?

After fielding a question about the gowns which had been ordered for her, she had another thought.

There are possibilities here. Could I somehow slip off by myself? If I was found again, I could just claim that I got confused - which is not far from the truth, anyway.

But if I am not found, I might be able to... what, exactly?

They turned down another side street, this one narrow enough that no sunlight entered. Looking up, Ursula realized that she had no idea which direction they were going. There was a much larger thoroughfare at the end, one that seemed very busy.

I look just like any other woman, she thought. If I slip away, is anyone likely to take notice of me?

She looked more carefully, now, at others on the street.

There are a number of lone women wandering around, so maybe I wouldn't be noticed. My short hair could be a problem, though. I haven't seen anyone else yet with short hair, even children.

The larger thoroughfare suddenly widened into a significantly-sized square, bordered on all sides by tall buildings, but filled with stalls, booths and awnings. The whole place was filled with people buying and selling. To one side there were animals, some with halters, others in pens, some of the odd bird-like creatures in large wicker cages.

"Mistress?" Tavia tried to get her attention.

"Oh, I'm sorry," she replied, "I was interested to see the market. This one is much bigger than those we visited along the river."

"Aye, of course! This is Joth's main place to buy and sell food, clothing, house wares and almost anything else. There are some smaller markets around the edge for necessities, but this is the central market for the whole city."

"I see. What should we be doing here?"

"I thought that it would be useful for you to have a look and see if there is anything you needed, Mistress. Mistress Semma spoke of some fingerless gloves to protect her hands aboard ship, and also that you needed to find some hats."

Hats! A good idea, if I put my hair up under a hat nobody can see that it is short. I have already seen women with their hair up, so it isn't that unusual.

"That is true, the sun is fierce and bright today, and I was told that it will only become hotter. I will need a hat, especially now that my hair is shorter and shows more of my neck."

"As you say, Mistress! Then, let us browse the stalls. If we may go down that side first, by the time we reach the far end we will be out of the sun for the rest of our investigation."

The only problem with that idea was that the sun was directly in her face as they walked along the cluttered space between the stalls and the side buildings, which Ursula saw were also shops of a more substantial nature. Shading her eyes with her hands she saw jewelers, cobblers, butchers, barbers, even a blacksmiths, with a forge glowing redly right at the back.

"Here, Mistress, what do you think of these?"

Tavia directed her attention to a nearby stall, which sold all kinds of hats from men's caps to children's bonnets to feminine creations. The construction materials were just as varied, leather, felt, canvas, reed and straw. A quick look made her stand back in thought.

Whatever I do, I'll need some kind of hat. I need something reasonably practical, not one of those airy creations, though.

My problem is that I have never bought a woman's hat before! I have no idea what I'll look like wearing the things, or even what is appropriate here.

"I - I want something hard-wearing and practical," she said, temporizing, "something that I can wear often, not like those filmy things there." She pointed to a stand with several that looked like wedding wear. "Perhaps a straw hat, with a decent brim?"

The short, plump stall-holder rubbed her hands. "Aye, Mistress, you need to keep the sun off that nice skin!" She leaned forward, selected a hat and held it up. "Will you try this one?"

It had a brim, one that was large and floppy. It was also not very well made. Realizing this, Ursula looked again at the hats on the stall, seeing now that the construction quality was average at best.

"Um, no thank you, Mistress. I, um, want to have a look around the market before I decide what to buy."

The woman's face fell. "As you wish, Mistress."

They moved on. Tavia leaned over. "What was wrong with the hat, Mistress? Something caught your eye."

"The hats on that stall were not very well made, Mistress Tavia. That straw hat would have scratched inside a week and likely fallen apart in a month."

Tavia nodded thoughtfully. "As you say, Mistress. I must admit, I make use of a hat-maker in Endormin Street, but she would take some time to commission a hat, and you need something now to protect your head. Look, there is another we will reach shortly."

By the time they had reached the other end of the square, Ursula had two hats, both of straw. She wore the one with the smaller brim and carried the other. Semma was now carrying a medium-sized cloth bag half-filled with small purchases.

"Oh, look! A jeweler! I know that his goods will only be trinkets, but perhaps you might find something you liked?"

The stall turned out to be that of a silversmith and the three women pored over the items for sale, admiring the intricate metalwork.

The stall-holder pointed. "Can you really use that sword, Mistress?"

That was about the tenth time Semma had been asked that question, so she had her answer ready.

"Aye, Master Silversmith, I have been well trained by His Majesty's Armsmaster, but I have not yet been tested in combat."

"His Majesty? I thought I recognized the colors of Palarand. Did you come on that strange ship?"

"I did, I serve the captain as companion and armswoman."

Ursula had heard all this before, so walked round the side of the stall to look at some of the other goods.

The conversation continued a short while, then Semma took her leave.

"I do not think I can purchase anything today, good master, but the quality of your goods is excellent, I deem. You are regularly in this spot?"

"Indeed, Mistress. You plan to return?"

"Aye. The Visund, our ship, remains in Joth for some days while the injuries of its crew heal. You may not have heard, but we met a giant gogon on the way here and some were hurt."

"A gogon! So the stories were true."

By the time that Semma and Tavia were finally able to extricate themselves, Ursula was nowhere to be seen. They searched around the nearby booths and then looked at one another.

"I cannot believe that she has wandered far," Tavia said. "I do not think she will come to much harm, the Duke looks after his guests, but I think we had better inform the watch."

"Indeed, Mistress Tavia. Ursula is a stranger here, and knows not the customs of the Valley, she could get herself into the kinds of difficulty that you or I might not."

"Do you tell me? Then we had best find the watch, I deem. They have a booth in the center of the market, over there."

- - -

Ursula reached the end of the alley breathing hard. Adrenalin was pumping through her veins in a very familiar way.

Slow down! You're supposed to just be somebody who has bought something from the market and is now going home. Maybe.

You've done this before, at least twice, and it worked both times. Easy, now. Relax. One time you were even dressed as a woman and nobody noticed.

She straightened and forced her body to relax. The smaller hat came off to be replaced by the one with the wider brim. She adjusted it over her eyes before walking out of the alley and turning left.

Should I be going this way? What is my objective? I know nothing about this place!

It appears to be a walled city, I saw that from the battlements the other evening. There were towers spaced around it... gates? Head for a gate, then, get out of the city, see if there really is an outside.

Wait a moment. Should I be going this way? I don't want to end up down at the docks! The crew would recognize me instantly.

She looked around, trying to find a slight slope in the road which might tell her where the river, and hence the docks, would be found. No such luck, it all appeared to be level, at least the section she could see. The street curved out of sight both ways.

I am seen looking around, why would I be doing that? Because I want to make sure it is safe to cross, that's why. I need to get out of this street, somebody will think of that alley soon enough.

There was a side lane just a little further up, one large enough to take a wagon but not much more. She turned down it with relief. This one was not straight, either, and she thought that good because it meant they could not spot her from a distance.

If I keep going this direction I should come to a street against the wall, and then I should be able to follow it around to the nearest gate.

She came to a stop, then, as a sudden thought percolated.

This time I am a real woman! No need to pretend like the other time.

...But if I AM a real woman, there should be no need to run away!

The contradictions in her position threatened to overwhelm her then, causing the air to flutter in front of her eyes and her skin to turn cold and clammy. She took a couple of deep breaths before walking steadily on.

Concentrate! This is one time you must not make mistakes!

Unfortunately, the street curved to the right and then ended at a T-junction. To the left, a smaller residential street apparently ended after about fifty meters, so she was forced to turn right again. She turned along it and strode purposefully over the brick paving, for the most part ignoring the few people she passed.

- - -

At the Watch post Semma found Adin and Tor, apparently arguing with two of the watch. The Visunders were in civilian garb, with sashes in Eriana's colors, while the watch men wore dark blue tunics, with sashes in the Jothan colors but arranged as a checkerboard to identify the city watch.

Tor turned. "Mistress Semma! What has happened?"

One of the watch said, "If I may. It is the Watch the Mistress has come to." He frowned. "Do you know this woman?"

"Aye, of course! Semma is one of the companions to Her Highness, who I was just telling you about."

The other one pointed. "Bedarn, she wears colors and a sword, this man's story must be true, then."

"A sword!" Bedarn gave Semma his full attention. "If we may help you, Mistress."

But Semma turned to Tor, to whom she could explain more easily. "Mistress Ursula was with us in the market and she has gone missing."

Tor spoke to the two men. "Mistress Ursula is a traveler from a distant land, and knows not the ways of the Valley as we do."

The watchman's eyes hardened. "Describe her, if you would."

"I have not the words... Semma, you would know what she was wearing today."

"A little taller than me, but not so tall as Mistress Tavia, perhaps. Her hair is short and about the same color as your own. We have just been to the hairdressers. She wears a dress the color of the river sand. Oh! And we have just bought her two straw hats in the market."

"And she is a stranger, you say. If so, she will easily become lost in the streets of Joth, I deem."

Semma hesitated. "There is another thing you must know. She may seek to hide from you or even try to get out of the city."

"What? Why?"

"I have only been told part of the details. The story is... complicated. It seems that Mistress Ursula does not believe that Joth is real, but that she is somewhere else entirely, being held against her will, and may try, as she thinks, to escape."

Bedarn's eyes widened and he turned to Tor, but the Bosun just shrugged. "I cannot answer you, sir. Mistresses Semma and Ursula stay with Her Highness at Duke's Hall. I have not heard what Semma just said."

Bedarn looked confused and somewhat upset, but Tor took the decision out of his hands. He pulled a lanyard out of his canvas shirt, put the attached whistle to his lips and blew: four long blasts, then two short, a pause, then two more short. Almost immediately answering blasts cut through the noise of the market, Semma thought they came from at least three different directions.

Tor said to Bedarn, "Hey, look. My men know missing woman, your men know city, so one of mine with one of yours, yes? Two times number of teams, that way we find Mistress quicker."

Bedarn hesitated in turn before nodding. "Very well, I agree."

He pointed a finger at Adin. "We fix your problem when we find this woman, aye? I am inclined to believe your story now."

Adin replied, "Yah. Of course. Finding Ursula is more important."

Bedarn turned to his Watch companion. "Halek, you remain here and deal with queries."

"The gates, boss?"

"Aye, of course! Get some runners from the post at the north end of the market. If this woman is that recognizable she won't be able to get through the gates."

- - -

This definitely does not look right.

She had made a wrong turning somewhere, that was certain. The streets here looked shabby, less well kept, less traveled. Remarkably, there was no litter or trash anywhere in sight, not even the droppings of animals, nowhere to even put trash. She wondered what happened to it.

Of more importance was that she was completely lost. Every street had a painted wooden sign on a nearby wall with the name, but the script was unfamiliar to her, and the names wouldn't have meant anything anyway. Turning around would raise questions in anyone who had noticed her, who saw her again and wondered why she was walking there. Fortunately she had yet to encounter a dead end, or it would become obvious that she didn't know where she was or where she should be going.

Please let me find a way out of this!

A wide-ish lane promised a way out, she turned down it, seeing a bigger street at the end. A woman, sweeping her steps with a small brush, said something to her but she merely smiled, nodded and held up a hand in acknowledgment as she passed. To speak would reveal her accent and that might raise awkward questions.

A little further on, two small children of indeterminate gender played in the roadway with some wooden blocks, she carefully skirted them. Further on, a large yard gate stood half-open, an odd dog-like creature studying her from the threshold, but it let her pass by without moving.

That thing had six legs!

A wagon passed the end of the lane in the street ahead, the dranakh clearly visible. That meant that at least she would be back somewhere safer that she was now. She just hoped that it would lead her to somewhere useful to her purposes.

She had finally understood that, as a lone woman, she was vulnerable in ways that her male self would not have been, even when running away.

"Well, what have we here?"

The lane had intersected an alley and she had walked across without looking, intent on the street ahead. A man moved in front of her, blocking her way. She altered direction to go around him but he moved as well. Behind her, she heard the sound of others.

"What do you think, Dobe?" a voice came from behind her. "Bit of fun now, or should we keep her? Hair's a bit short, but she should be able to earn us some coin even so."

A third voice came from the other side. "She's the right age and, with a bit of training -"

"Wait a moment, you two," Dobe interrupted. "Something's not right here."

She turned slightly so that she could see two of them. Dobe was large and his tunic had seen better days. So had his teeth, which unlike almost all those she knew, showed advanced decay. He had rough stubble and even though he was a step or two away she could smell his rank breath. His hair was long and greasy.

The other one was smaller, more wiry, and his teeth were better, but his tunic was stained and the leather jerkin he wore over it was patched in several places. His smell came from his body, not his teeth.

"What d'you mean?" The voice behind her said. "She's on her own, that's enough, isn't it?"

"Don't be stupid, Kallen! Look at her. That dress is class and she's got no pouch. Looks like a noble who's gotten herself lost, isn't that right, Your Ladyship?"

Ursula had frozen at the unwelcome interception and had no idea what to do. Fearing consequences, she kept quiet and waited to see what would happen, just staring at Dobe with frightened eyes.

Dobe grinned. "We've impressed her, lads! Now, why don't we see if we can return her to her Lord and collect, y'know, a reward or something? What do you say?"

The second one said, "That's more like it, Dobe! How much d'you reckon they'd pay to get her back, then?"

Ransom. They mean to ransom me! That does not always end well.

Ransom might be better than the alternative, though.

Kallen said, "Dunno, but there'll be more if she's undamaged, y'know."

"Ah, the odd bruise don't count, Kallen. Now, let's get her out of sight and find out who might want her back. Where d'you think the best place to stash her would be, Traze? Hammer's place?"

A dirty hand grabbed her right arm, firmly. As a male, she had never been that strong anyway, but in these circumstances she knew that there would be no point struggling. She turned to see Traze, who was just as rough as the other two. He was a little taller and thinner but just as disreputable - and stank just as much.

Traze ripped off her hat, causing her to squint in the sudden sunlight. "Hey, she's not a bad looker! We could always keep her, Dobe."

Kallen asked, puzzled, "Why's she wearing a hat and carrying another one?"

Dobe shrugged. "She's a woman! Who knows why any of the crazy bitches do what they do! No, Traze, we can't keep her, not long anyhow. If she's missing and noble, they'll turn the city over looking for her. Once they know we have her and there should be a reward, like, things should go smoothly and we can get rid of her."

"Aw! Can't we even try her out?"

"There she is!" The call came from the street ahead and heads turned. "Hey, Ursula!"

Two men began walking down the lane towards them. They were dressed differently, but their attire gave no information to Ursula. One, however, had a beard and that meant he was likely one of the ship's crew.

Dobe cursed. "The Watch! Guess she must be more important than I realized."

There was a flicker of movement out of the corner of her eye and suddenly there was a knife at her throat. The two men came to an abrupt halt about twenty meters away, the bearded man slightly behind the other.

Dobe called, "Easy, now! We found her, we gets the reward! Tell her master that!"

The man in front spread his hands to show that he was prepared to negotiate. "Look, lads, there's no need for -"

It happened so fast Ursula barely saw the movement. There was a blur in the air, a thud and suddenly Dobe wasn't there any more. His knife flew into the air, bounced off the fencing at the side of the lane, bounced again off her free arm and then spun away on the bricks of the roadway. At the same time, her other arm was released and the two men stepped away.

She turned to see Dobe on the ground, a short-handled ax sticking out of his chest. A detached part of her mind thought, Dead instantly after that. At least two ribs smashed and by the amount of blood, probably at least one artery ruptured.

Another part of her mind said, Dead! He's DEAD. This is no play acting, it is real, REAL. Maybe what they were telling me was true!

Her head began to spin as she tried to make sense of what had just happened. The two men had rushed forward, swords ready, and now threatened the two survivors. The bearded man resolved himself into Brodgar.

"Mistress! You are hurt! Did they..?"

"What?" She looked down and saw that the knife had glanced off her forearm, giving a shallow cut that had just begun to ooze blood. "Oh. No, it was when the knife -"

This is REAL. I'm really here, that is really my blood, I'm really a woman and I have this all wrong!

Her vision began to swim and she groped for support, finding none.

She heard Brodgar bark, "Hey, you! Sit on ground, now!" He turned to the man who had come with him. "I have to help Mistress, Terran."

She felt his hands grab her as she folded into darkness.

up
232 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Yes she got hurt

But I am not quite sure why that resolves her disbelief.

In any case she is very fortunate if all she got was that cut.

It was the death wot did it

If this was all a set-up, then everybody else must be actors, annd unless this is a snuff movie, nobody is really going to get killed.

The fact that somebody did get killed means that there must be some level of reality involved: the alternative is that she is completely insane, and that is why she overloaded.

Brodgar's actions could not have been scripted, since nobody knew which way Ursula would choose to go or who she would happen across. It came as a surprise to all of them - except Brodgar, of course, who just saw a clear and present danger.

Unless this is all some kind of virtual manipulation of what she sees, the ax really did go into Dobe's chest. Ursula has previous experience of such wounds :) You can't easily fake that in such a short space of time.

All should become clear in the next chapter.

Penny

And if it WAS virtual, its

And if it WAS virtual, its would be matrix level, and they would already have to be in your brain at that point or at least close enough that any anti-interrogation techniques and secrets might as well be moot but then if that was the case why keep her in there?

Another great chapter.

Perhaps Ursula will now believe and reveal her mysterious past.

I have updated all the Appendices.

Thanks for another excellent episode.

J

story has slowed?

BarbieLee's picture

Miss Lane, your talent as a writer is beyond reproach. The pace of Somewhere Else Entirely was crafted as there were no dead spots in the storyline. The fascination of Ursula's non acceptance of her situation means she has to have one heck of a past life to bring something earth shattering to the table.
always,
Barb

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

It's tricky

Despite what you may think about SEE, I never planned much of it at all. Girl ends up with Prince, fill in middle as appropriate. OK, I had some ideas, but...

The next chapter of VotV should tell us about Ursula's past, or at least most of it... In some ways this is just me trying to provide a back story in as few chapters as possible and failing miserably.

There should be plenty of fun as our intrepid crew eventually continue upriver - and I don't think I'm giving much away by pointing out that I wouldn't have made so much of Ursula if she wasn't going to go with them. Things have to happen, y'know?

Speaking of story slowing, the production of story has slowed, regrettably. My health has been variable and there have been plenty of other demands on what time I have to give: I recently spent two weeks plumbing, and there is still one leak to fix. This afternoon I did one of those "five minute" jobs changing a hard disk on one of my servers, I'm sure you know how those go. It has taken me four hours, about sixteen reboots and pulling the whole network down five times so that I could take the box out/put it back without crashing the other boxes (then cursing when it didn't do what it was supposed to do. Rinse, repeat).

Fun times, but times I could have been writing. It isn't the want of a muse, but just getting to the keyboard and actually doing something without getting interrupted.

Penny

Yep, it took a horrific event

Jamie Lee's picture

Ursula's disbelieving attitude, and her great fear from those who will now never find her, got her into the exact situation she was warned about. And lucky her the watch had paired with the Norsemen or she would still be in a mess.

Nothing like a short axe causing a lot of blood to make reality crystal clear. So maybe NOW Ursula will finally believe the truth she's been hearing since her memory returned.

And if she finally believes everything she's already been told, then she has to realize that she's far from the reach of those she fears. And will finally tell her WHOLE truth.

Others have feelings too.