We Give Thanks

Printer-friendly version

This is set in my A New Life universe, which is set in Dot's M.Y.T.H. universe.

This is just a bit of fluff that I wrote to celebrate the season.

The Garmish family, having recently moved into the area, were delighted with their invitation to the Lupo family's Thanksgiving feast.

Having met at the orphanage where they grew up, Harry and Julie had little experience with a real Thanksgiving dinner.

They weren't at all surprised to find the Lupo family wearing nothing but their fur. After receiving their 'love nips,' then attending church with the various weres, fey, and other magical types, they were getting well used to the culture. They were getting even more used to the love and camaraderie.

Mark and Steve stripped out of their clothes and ran up to Jim.

"Can I be a kitty girl, Uncle Jim?"

"Can I be a squirrel?"

Jim Lupo cast a glamor on the two boys, not genuinely transforming them, but allowing them to look and feel like the weres that they would be once they came of age.

Mark giggled in delight and scrambled up the tree that shaded the well laden table. His tail twitched as he went from branch to branch.

Steve, now called Marcie, followed him up. Her claws dug into the wood as she bounced after her brother.

"Don't knock any bark into the food!" called Harry.

While the kids were bounding around, Jim renewed Harry and Julie's glamor.

While the glamor didn't affect the way any of the local magical community saw Harry and Julie, it caused everyone else to see them as their original 'thirty something' selves. Once they went through the final transformation, come the next full moon, they would be able to take care of their own appearances.

After the kids calmed down and came out of the tree, Jim gave the blessing.

Lord, we thank you for this reminder of all of our blessings. We thank you for new friends, new family, and new lives. We ask for the opportunity to spread your word and your blessings.

Thanks again for growing our families and bringing them together.

And everyone said, "amen."

Linda, Cindy, and Vicky brushed the bark and dust off of the serving table and dishes, then released the time stasis from the food.

Everything was hot and fresh, even though it had actually been prepared days earlier.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone who is celebrating the holiday, and a very happy Thursday to everyone else.

Now, for the reader participation part, I solicit ideas.

What are Harry and Julie's were forms?

And no, Doggie McDogface isn't a valid answer. ;-)

up
65 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Anyone who doesn't know this universe will prolly be confused AF

laika's picture

but I never miss a NEW LIFE story. This one's short, but I do like the mix of magical and prosaic elements, and the fact that these weres, feys + such don't feel excluded from a regular human church (I'm assuming Christian) or what it says in their book...

Or is there a shapeshifter equivalent of the LGBT-friendly Metropolitan Community Church? If there is I might go, if they don't mind me mermaiding around in the baptismal font...
~hugs, V

.
I think i already gave suggestions about harry + julie's were forms but I don't recall what they were. I think the characters will let you know...
"It has not yet been revealed what we shall be, but we know that when He is revealed, we shall be like Him." (1 John 3:2)
"We will shine like the brightness of the firmament and like the stars." Daniel 12:2
Though I think those passages are about heavenly bodies I could see shapeshifters reinterpreting notions like these, and maybe even making claims about Jesus being one of their own...

Baptismal font

It may look small on the outside, but you know about those underwater secret passages...

Hmmm... Raccoon and Skunk...

Trash Panda and Fart Squirrel...

That has possibilities. Skunks are so sensuous.

It would be interesting

if they could help a desperate non-magical soul who happened to be trans. Something for TDOR perhaps?

Non-magical soul

Ask and ye shall receive. And I dedicated the story to you.

Illusion vs real

Aine Sabine's picture

How does the claws work on the tree when they are illusion? Oh and where are the four foster kids?

Wil

Aine

Illusion

It's not an illusion as much as a high powered glamour. It involves all senses and the ability to interact with the rest of the world. Hence, the debate among the practitioners of magic. "A difference that makes no difference is no difference."

Nice story

Jamie Lee's picture

This is a nice little story. How about Harry being a wolverine and Julie a civet?

Others have feelings too.

Civet

Hmmm...

Vicky will be growing coffee beans. Maybe she can feed some to Julie.