NightFox: The Case Of The Stolen Native American Artifacts

Printer-friendly version

Cora shivers as she watches from her perch. She wishes the suit the spirits gave her was warmer. She blended with the darkness surrounding her.

Someone has been disturbing ancient burial sites and stealing their artifacts. The spirits sent her a mental summons to investigate. The tribal police have been investigating several burial sites that had been disturb and their artifacts removed from them.

This was her third night staking out this burial site. She had a feeling that this site was going to be hit. She takes a piece of beef jerky out of her pouch and munch on it. She shivers again as a cold wind blows against her, sending a chill straight to her bones.

Around midnight Cora hears the rumbling sound of a vehicle approaching her location. She listens as the vehicle shuts off. She stays where she is, as she hears two voices. They sounded like they were Mexican or Spanish. Cora watches as they climb to where she was perched.

“Surprise, gentlemen.” Cora punches one in the face.

She whacks the other one with her spear, knocking him out. The one she punched, he tries to grab her. She blocks him and kicks him in his groin.

“Damn! I’m going to have to carry these pricks back to their vehicle.” Cora moves to the first guy she knocked unconscious and drag his body to their vehicle.

Cora notices it was a new 4x4 pick-up truck. She secures the first person’s hands, feet and tosses him in the bed of the truck. She goes back to the second fellow and drag his unconscious form back to the truck and toss him into the back as well.

Cora gets into the truck and drives it to an area where it will take a long time to walk back to get any help. She strips them naked and throws their clothes into the back of the truck. Cora takes her bottle water and pours it on one of the men’s faces.

Joshua and Pedro cough as they wake-up from the water being poured on them. They noticed that they were naked and laying on the ground.

“Hello, gentlemen.” Cora stands nearby looking down at the two men.

Joshua and Pedro look at the figure speaking to them. They have never seen anyone like them before. There was a humanoid fox standing before them.

“Who are you working for?” Cora's eyes flash red.

Joshua looks at the humanoid fox person “Vete al Infierno perra.”

A smile appears on Cora’s fox face. She walks over and whacks Joshua with her spear.

“Answer my question, or slowly have every bone in your body broken.” She pulls her war hammer from her belt and bounces it in her hand.

Pedro looks at the figure speaking. Their eyes were glowing red and they had an ancient war hammer in their hands. He watches as the figure got closer to them.

“No te voy a decir una mierda, puta.” Joshua was pissed at this thing.

He was losing out on a big score. Plus, the person he worked for would kill him for losing these artifacts. His boss made big money from selling
the artifacts on the black market.

Cora walks towards him as her eyes became redder. She takes her war hammer and smacks him on his right leg, not strong enough to break it, but enough to make it hurt for hours.

“You will tell me everything or I will leave your broken body out here for the coyotes to eat. That goes for you as well.” Cora looks over towards Pedro.

“Alec Hussle, we work for Alec Hussle. He gives us the information on the sites.” Pedro looks at Cora. He didn’t want to die out in the desert or be eaten by the coyotes.

“Where is he getting the locations from?” Cora knew only a handful of people on the reservation knew the location of the burial sites.

“I don’t know who he gets the locations from. I just go where he tells me.” Pedro just wanted to make some easy money.

Cora looks at Joshua “Where are the artifacts kept till they are sold?”

Joshua looks towards Pedro and then back towards Cora. He was pissed at Pedro for spilling his guts.

“He keeps them at his store, in a locked vault.” Joshua knew his life was forfeit now.

“You better not be lying to me.” Cora walks over and cuffs them.

She helps them back to the 4x4 pick-up truck and drives them to the tribal police officer. She goes in first, after removing her mask.

“I have the bandits for you. I also have a few leads to go on.” Cora directs her gaze at Alex Frank.

Frank looks at their local private investigator. Recently, he has been working with her on a few cases. His father was a shaman and told him
she would be a benefit to the department.

Every time he has seen her, she was always wearing a form-fitting black bodysuit and carrying ancient weapons with her. He did run her name and it came back with her registered in four states as a Private Investigator. She recently helped the local Marshal office with a case.

“Thanks. Where did you catch them?” Frank will need to add the location to the arrest warrant.

“Out by Agathla Peak. One of the old chief’s is buried out there. George took me there once and the spirits guided me there.” Cora knew Frank was the oldest son of Jack Grey Feather. He was a shaman like George was.

“Well, thanks for bringing them in.”

“Your welcome, oh, one more thing. I had them strip. Their clothes are in the back of the truck.” Cora walks out of the building and starts running back towards her trailer.

When Cora gets back to her place, she was cold and ready for a nice cup of hot tea. She mounts her weapons on the custom rack she built for them and hung her fox mask with them. While the water was brewing, she slips out of the body suit and drapes it over the back of a chair.

She hears the water whistling as she grabs her favorite mug, that had the face of a fox on it. Cora adds the special mixture of tea that George gave her and added some hot water to her mug. She grabs some cookies from her cookie jar and listens to some music from the local radio station.

As her tea brew, she adds a few teaspoons of honey she bought to sweeten it. As she is stirring the tea, she thinks about her next move. The thieves told her who was buying and fencing the stolen artifacts.

Maybe the ancients Native Americans should have put some sort of curse on the objects if they were disturbed. She takes a bite of her cookie as she walks into the living room and relaxes. Between the heat inside her trailer and the heat from the tea warming her insides. She was starting to feel better.

Cora relaxes against the sofa cushions and enjoys her cookie and hot tea. Tomorrow, she’ll check on this Alec Hussle. She finishes her cookie and tea and head to bed. She’ll rinse her mug out in the morning.

Cora curls up under her blankets and drifts off to sleep. As she sleeps, her spirit communes with the ancient warriors and learn from them. It has been just recently that she learned that she could communicate with the ancient chiefs and warriors.

When she wakes up the next day, she is mentally tired. She stretches and yawn. Her body felt like she had been lifting weights all night long. Cora gets up and does her morning business. She gets dress afterwards. She wears her suit, under her clothes and tucks her mask into her purse.

Cora grabs the keys to the Camaro she acquired from her last job. She managed to get the car put in her name. She looks up the address for the shop Alec Hussle owns and drives towards there. According to what she found out about him, he is an art dealer that specializes in Native American art.

Cora pulls up in front of the address. The outside of the store was nice. As she walks inside the store, she spots several fakes, mass produce items. There were a few artworks by some of the artists that lived on the reservation.

“Welcome to Native Dreams, what can I do for you today?” A young Native American woman in her early twenties comes walking over towards Cora.

A smile appears on Cora’s face “hi, I’m Cora Black and I’m here to see Alec Hussle. I was recommended to him about some special pieces.”

“I’m sorry, but Mr. Hussle won’t be in today. He is meeting with a client.” Tadita was informed by her boss, that he was going to be out of the office today.

“Darn, I was hoping to purchase some special pieces from him, before I flew back to California.” Cora tries to look disappointed.

“I can try to call him and see if he is coming back to the store.” Tadita pulls her cell phone out and dials her boss.

“Thank you.” Cora walks around looking at the artwork and locating the door to the warehouse.

Cora notices it had a mechanical lock on it. She wonders if the place had a loading dock. As she continued to look around, she notices several cameras and motion detectors.

Tadita finishes her conversation with Mr. Hussle and walks over where Cora was standing.

“I spoke with Mr. Hussle and unfortunately, he won’t be coming back to the store today. If you can postpone your flight. He’ll be here first thing tomorrow morning.” Tadita was hoping Ms. Black could postpone her flight. She really needed a big sale.

“Let me see what I can do, and I’ll get back to you.” Cora walks away out of the store and heads back to her car.

Cora drives off and looks for a place she can park the Camaro, without it getting towed or stolen and changes clothes. Once Cora slips the mask on, she heads back to the store. She uses the shadows to conceal her movement.

She manages to make it back to the store, undetected. The place had a loading dock as she had hoped. There was another door next to the loading dock, that had the same type of mechanical combination lock like the one inside the store. She pulls out her fingerprinting powder and
blows some on the buttons. She brushes the dust, till she finds which buttons were used and tries different combinations until the door unlocks.

Cora cautiously enters the warehouse and look around according to the information she got from the two men. The items that had been removed from the burial sites, were stored in a locked room. As for the security cameras, she takes a paint gun and fires a paintball at them, to cover the lens.

It takes her a few minutes to find the storage room. The door was locked and had a mechanical lock on it like all the other doors. Cora pulls her fingerprint powder out and does the same thing she did on the other door. She opens the door and heads inside.

Her sensitive nose picked up on the freshly dug dirt, that still clung to the artifacts. There were pottery pieces, weapons, statues and other items that had been buried with their owners. The Native American part of her was angry that people would steal from the dead.

Cora pulls her cell phone out and dials the Phoenix Marshal office. Lately, she has been working with them off and on. Ever since the case, she helped them take down a major predator for killing two of their people. Her new connect at the Marshal office was a seasoned agent they brought in from Texas.

He was a former Texas Ranger, that had a colorful career before he joined the Marshal service. He had a heavy Texan accent. His partner, on the other hand, was a former DEA agent that got on the bad side of his supervisor. So, he quit the DEA and joined the Marshal service.

Phoenix Marshal service:
Jason Crockett walks in with his fresh cup of coffee. His partner, Bill Wallace was behind him with his own cup of coffee. As they approach their desk, the phone starts ringing.

Bill puts his coffee down and answers the phone “Hello, Marshal Wallace speaking, how can I help you?”

“Hey, Wallace. It’s Cora and I need for you and Crockett to come down to 1254 Second street. The name on the building is called Native Dreams. The owner of the business is dealing in stolen Native American artifacts.” Cora picks a piece up and examines it.

“Cora, what have you gotten yourself into this time?” Deputy Wallace has met Cora before and knew she did private investigation. Most of her jobs was just taking pictures of cheating spouses, but occasionally she would have jobs that cross paths with them.

“Stolen Native American artifacts. I was hired by the tribal council to locate stolen artifacts. I arrested the ones who have been digging up the artifacts and have located the ones they took to a black-market seller. I need for you and your partner to come and take possession of
the artifacts.” Cora couldn’t call the tribal police to help, because their authority ended when they left the reservation.

“Do you have the dealer in custody?” Wallace would love to have them as well.

“No, he’s not coming in today. I was going to go to his home and arrest him myself.” Cora figures Mr. Hussle would have some stolen items at his home. Most black-market dealers kept pieces for their own collection.

“Hold on for a minute, Cora.” Wallace looks over towards Crockett.

“Hey Crockett, Cora needs our help. She has a bunch of stolen Native American artifacts she needs us to take possession.” Wallace watches his partner.

Crockett looks over towards Wallace “How did she come across these artifacts?”

“She was hired by the tribal council to locate them.”

“Alright, tell her we’ll take possession, but I want a full explanation on how she came across them.” Crockett knew Cora didn’t play by the rules.
She was more of a vigilante, then law enforcement.

“Alright, Cora. Give me the address of the store again.” Wallace picks up a pen and paper to write the address down.

Cora gives him the address again. She puts the piece she had been looking at down.

“Alright, we’ll be there in an hour.” Wallace knew it was going to take that long to get there.

“That’s fine. I’m not going anywhere.” Cora ends the call.

Native Dreams:
Tadita was surprised when the US Marshal’s from Phoenix, Arizona and Flagstaff police shows up at the store. She watches as two US Marshals come walking into the store.

“How can I help you, gentlemen?” Tadita had a pleasant smile on her face.

“We’re here to take possession of some Native American artifacts. So, if you can have the manager show us where they are. We won’t press charges against you.” Deputy Wallace.

“I’m sorry sir, but we don’t deal in black market artifacts.”

“Actually, you do deal in black market pieces.” Cora comes walking out from the warehouse.

Tadita turns around and sees a person wearing all black with a face that looked like a fox. The eyes of the fox were glowing red.

“Surprised, the pieces are in the back.” Cora comes walking out towards everyone.

“Who are you?” Tadita was surprised by this person.

“I’m nobody.” As a sly smile appears on Cora’s fox face.

Wallace and Crockett couldn’t believe how Cora looked. There was nothing in her files about a black fox face. They watch as she walks up to them.

Some of the Flagstaff police go into the warehouse and find the door she left open. When some police go to arrest Tadita.

“She’s innocent and didn’t know about the artifacts.” Cora could see her aura and notices it was clean, not corrupt.

The police officer stops and just pull Tadita aside to talk with her.

Cora looks at the two US Marshals “I think you guys can handle this. I have someone I need to go and retrieve.”

Alec Hussle was on his way back from meeting with one of his favorite buyers. The person was willing to buy all the artifacts he had for a quarter of a million dollars. He could finally get out of the business of selling old Native American artifacts and go to live on a nice tropical Island.

As he approached his store. He notices police cars and a few government vehicles. He turns his car around and drives towards his house to get the money he hadn’t deposited into the bank. He pulls up to his house and heads inside to get what money and artifacts he could secure to sell to raise more money.

As Alec is getting his stuff together to run. A female humanoid fox figure steps out of the darkness.

“Are you planning on going somewhere, Mr. Hussle?” Cora had raced from the store to Mr. Hussle’s house. Her Camaro was parked nearby.

Alec turns around and looks at the person that just spoke. He did know who the person was or why they were in his home.

“Who the fuck are you and how did you get in?” Alec pulls a gun from behind his back.

“I’m nobody and I just walked in. Now, do you want to do this the easy way or the hard way?” Cora slides one of her obsidian knives into her.

“What do you mean the easy way? Why are you here?” Alec had no idea who this humanoid fox person was.

“I mean, you are guilty of stealing Native American artifacts and selling them. You surrender to me now or face the consequences.” Cora watches Alec Hussle body movement.

A smile appears on his face “what do the dead care about me selling their crap.” As he pulls the trigger on the gun.

Cora tosses the knife into Alec Hussle shoulder. Another knife follows the first one and hits right where she was aiming. She sweeps his legs out from under him and knocks him out.

“You should have surrendered.” Cora secures Alec Hussle and carries his tied up form down to her Camaro to drop him at the marshal office.

up
195 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Obsidian blades have been

Obsidian blades have been proven that only many occasions they are sharper than a doctor's scalpul used in surgeries. I do believe that Alec
Hussle is really going to feel the pain in his shoulders really soon, if he is not doing so now.

Fiction and Reality

BarbieLee's picture

Miss Dragon, the story has an excellent concept and plot. Fiction and reality can be blended so the reader doesn't have a problem accepting both in a single story. Think of your main character, Cora, as more than just an average woman. She can do things most normal people can't. While she is "tolerating" the cold while waiting for the grave raiders, she still manages. After capturing the two idiots, grave robbers, she strips their clothes and then pours water on them.

If the author isn't clued into how real life works this is a non sticking point. However we already know it is brutally cold. Thus after losing their clothes the grave robbers are going to be closing in on getting close to hypothermia. She pours water on them. If it as cold as your story describes they will lose any thought besides "cold" less than a minute. In five minutes hypothermia shock will have shut them down and be close to a cold death. Yet she tosses them up in the truck and drives them to the reservation sheriff. (and leaves two dead frozen bodies) Except the story didn't do that.

An author's story has to hold continuity or clue the reader as to why there is a jump from one place or subject to another. In the story it took the U.S. Marshals an hour to drive to Alec Hussle's place of business. Yet within minutes she drops him off at the marshal's office after capturing him.

I loved the reference to obsidian knives. Now sure how many of your reader's realize this is a knife made from a stone and has a sharp edge not possible to achieve from steel.
Nicely done.
always,
Barb

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl