The Adventures of Madeline Brewer (4)

Printer-friendly version

It was already a hour into my shift. When I was informed by Lily that somebody else wanted a go. A friend of hers, a girl by the name of Robin. That being said my shift had been cut from three hours down to just two. Which in all honesty was fine with me. It was pushing ten and the smell of fresh fried chicken from the deli across the street was making me hungry.

“Just one more hour girl.” Lilly called out to me. “Then you can go and enjoy the rest of the day.” She said taking a deep breath. “Man, you can smell that chicken frying. And it's really making my mouth water too.”

“Its smelling good.” I called out as I peered down at Lily who was collecting some stray balls. Traffic was dying off now as most people where moving from North Main, the area where are dunking booth was down to South Main. Where most of the local craftsmen had there stalls set up.

“So,” Lily said taking a deep breath. “I hope you’ve had some fun. I mean you’ve been great. Like you made that little kid smile and you made that boy blush.” She said in a unsure tone of voice, like somebody trying to dance around a subject. “And like some people have out right donated instead of buying balls. I think we’ve raised close to a hundred and twenty dollars.” She said smiling softly.

“Pardon me?” A petite blonde women said as she approached the counter. “Are you two ladies still open for business?” She had the pretty blue eyes and spoke with a polished accent.

“Of course.” Lily said in her southern accent. I could not help roll my eyes, it felt like she trying a little hard. “Five dollars for three balls. First toss does not count.” She said smiling as she winked toward me. “Madeline has been quite a brat, don’t you think she needs a good dunking to cool her heels?” She said with a wink.

“I could not agree more.” The women giggled and brought her purse around, she then reached in side and fished out a flora print wallet. Still giggling she snapped the wallet open and handed Lily a crisp five dollar bill.

“Thank you.” She said handing the money to Lily who handed her three of those hard leather balls. I watched Lily pup the money into the money box and guide the women to the throwing line behind the counter.

“Hey there pretty lady!” I teased as I peered toward the women. She wore a long, flowing, flora print sundress. Flip-flops and a broad seed hat completed her look. She even blushed when I teased her.

“Hello darling.” She said to me as she reached down and wrapped her finger around the first ball. “I hope your ready to get dunked.” she said taking a deep breath as she drew back and took aim at the target. She closed her eyes and released the ball.

The ball left her hands and sailed through the air and smacked into the trigger. The seat under me gave way and I was dropped like a stone into the icy cold water of the dunking booth. My breath was taken away as the onrush of water flooded over me. Offering her a little smile, I pressed the seat back into position and climbed back up.

“Good throw!” I called out with a small smile.

The women giggled a little and reached over and picked up another ball. She tossed it up in the air before catching it and tossing it backup and catching it again.

“All settled there honey?” She said her eyes firmly fixed on me.

“All settled!” I chirped.

She then drew back again and let the ball fly. The ball sailed through the air and struck the target again. Sending me down into the ice cold water. The freezing water chilled me to the bone as I sunk like a stone and touched the bottom with my bathing suit. Slowly I swam toward the viewing glass and pressed my face into the glass before resurfacing.

“I think two is enough.” The women said as I climbed back up. “We’ll that was fun.” And with that she offered me a little wave and headed back into the crowds.

“So,” A voice called from the crowd. “Ready to go?” The voice belonged to my sister who was starting to move toward the booth. In her hand she held a plastic shopping bag that was filled with old paperback books. And another bag that held some clothing.

“Hey sis!” I said waving from the hot seat. A small smile formed upon my face. “Just about done, they cut my shift down from three hours too two. So I think I’m almost done.”

“I know. Lily sent me a text.” She reached down and placed five dollars down upon the table. Lily who was gathering balls, smiled and shook her head as she pushed the bill toward my sister. “Here.” She said placing a ball down upon the table.

“Big sisters get free throws till they hit the target.” Lily said smirking. As she peered toward me and winked.

“Hey! I have a idea!” I called out as. The two paused and switched their gaze toward me.

“How about, if you miss the target three times. You get up here and switch places with me?” I said grinning like a court jester fool as I stuck my tongue out and smiled toward her.

“You know sis.” My sister said as she peered toward me. “We’ll you might not. But you do know I played softball for most of my life. Starting with the Dixie Pixie’s before going up to the Benton Tigers and finally the Lady Bulldogs.” She said tossing the ball up and down. “Plus, I do play tennis other Saturday at the Benton Country Club.”

“So..” I said grinning. “Pride doth come before the fall.” I retorted.

“That makes no sense..” She said as she drew the ball back and let it fly. The ball sailed through the air and struck the target. Sending me down into the water with a loud splash. For a minute my whole world turned blue, as my lungs once more filled with water. As I peered through the viewing glass. I noticed my sister was walking across the grass now slick with water that had splashed over the rim.

“Love you.” She said smirking as she reached over and ruffed my hair.

“Love you too..” I muttered as looked down blushing again.

“Come on, let's get you out and get you something to eat.” She said as she walked over to Lily, after clearing her throat she said. “Thanks for letting my sis do this..” I heard her said.

“No problem.” Lily said as she reached into her purse. She quickly pulled out a small camera. “Mind posing in front of the dunking booth. We need a picture for the front of the paper.”

Another wave of heat made my cheeks blush. Slowly I walked toward the booth struck a cute pose. You know the one where you make the ‘V’ sign with your fingers. And strike a kind of suggestive pose. Yes that one.

“Cute.” Lily said as she snapped a picture.

“My sister is going to turn into a diva.” My sister said rolling her eyes.

Lily only giggled and smirked.

“Or she might become a cheerleader. You never know.” Lily said before snapping the photo.

up
144 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Sisters

laika's picture

This story's so cute! Nobody's really been a jerk about wanting to dunk Maddie, and I loved the banter between the two sisters when Kayla showed up (Yep, I've known a lot of gay girls who were on softball teams; sometimes the stereotypes are true...) Am enjoying reading this a second time but will be glad to get caught up with Maddie's adventures, she was left in a rather precarious position with that stern teacher---her ass on the line, so to speak---when I left of reading the detention story.

And yet in spite of my own impatience about that I suggest a posting schedule of at most one chapter a day. Such a pace lets more people see the story and read it at a comfortable pace than posting several chapters at once would. Just a suggestion...
~hugs, Ronni

Still enjoying

the chapters.