Anchors Aweigh – 5 A Possible Rose Lining

Printer-friendly version


Anchors Aweigh – 5
A Possible Rose Lining


By Jessica C
=^_^=~

Previously: Sierra and Sonja are both there. “It is nice to have our brother learning to take better care of himself. Even as Robert you are way better. By the time your discipline is over; we will be interested if this stays as the new you.”
Sonja said, “We’re talking about as Robert, but neither of us would complain about having another sister if Robert would think of going back to his sloppy ways…

=^_^=~


Sonja gave me my grain cereal, with tofu and Aronia preserves for flavor. I wondered if something was up because of the way Sierra watched me. She said it was because she was giving us a ride to school. She wondered if I would be ready or if Anne was to be there on time to go to school.

I was all set for a great day, thinking nothing could go wrong. And then some doofus of a senior slammed my locker shut right after I just opened it. “You know Robert, you’re just fooling yourself if you think anyone really admires you. The others get the glory and years from now you’ll be remembered as a sissy. The girls will get the glory and you’ll…”

He left when Anne came over asking what he wanted.

I said I was alright, but it was already eating at me. I put on a good face and focused on what I needed to do. I went to my homeroom but the teacher said I needed to be at the office.

When I got to the office, Principal Evans said, “My, don’t you look pretty today Roberta? I thank you for all you have done, just remember this isn’t all about you.” She had me go down to greet them Lieutenant Fields and the others should soon be there.

I got to the auditorium and while I was waiting, part of me was happy and excited looking forward to them soon being there; another part remembered what Zeek said. Finally, I get a text from Anne. “Where are you? Lieutenant Fields and Ensigns Kayla, Kara, and Debra are here; you’re missing out.” They are up in the gym.

I was just about there when Trish and Aronia from the team saw me and said, “Where you’ve been? Do you think you’re so important that you need a personal invitation or people scouting around for you? You know this isn’t only about you.” They giggle like they’re joking with me but I wasn’t sure.

Once inside the gymnasium, I smiled when I saw the others. Lieutenant Jennifer came over and showed me a wrist corsage in a clear plastic case. “You know it is not every day a boy gets to wear a pretty corsage. …We’ll keep it now for safety reasons and give it to you before the game. We know since you’re not a real girl you might not know how to take care of it.”

We talked and then walk through now what we’ll do at game time and tomorrow when the school assembly is held to meet those from the ship. We talk about it tonight before the game. I was supposed to carry the flag but they decided to have Ensign Kara Dugan carry the flag instead.

When I asked, what I was to do? They said, “Stand over there to salute, smile, and look cute.” Someone decided Sandy Jones and Sharon Moore should receive the flag from the ship as well as the signed picture of the ship. No one was saying anything wrong or that the others were more important, just the ones who should receive things. They were, in fact, the Captains of the Cheer Team.

=^_^=~


The women from the ship had brought a heavy section of rope that was looped and has been used to tie The USS Cook to the dock when at a port. It will be used as a symbol of the ship docking and connecting with our school.

It is nearing seven o’clock and the ceremony of lifting the rope to the rafters and onto a golden post is to begin. Ensign Debra Triens is to shimmy up a rope carrying the large section of rope. It would seem to be a sizeable task as it is longer than she is tall. I’m with our cheer team and the girls’ basketball team at the foot of the school’s rope she’s to climb to the rafters.

She was within six feet of the top when her feet slipped their hold and the top hand slips as a result. Debra was dressed as I was which made me think I could aid her as a team member.

I didn’t ask as I went to the base of the rope and took hold and jumped to get a start. Less than a minute later I was up to her. She let me take hold of part of that thick rope. She then continued up to the rafters. Her left foot helped me to lift the thick heavy rope to her. She hooked it in place. I then realized Debra probably could have made it without me. She denied the slip was on purpose.

She asked me, “Was there ever a point when you were asked to do what you did?” She knew the answer, “You chose to be part of the team. I thought it would have been Kayla or Kara.”

The crowd was clapping below us and I was now embarrassed as way more of me was showing than I was comfortable with. I held onto the rafter as Debra went down before me, showing me how to get down without a rope burn or getting hurt.

Once down and knowing numerous pictures were taken; Fields and the others knew the pictures could haunt me. She said, “Attention Ensign Dort.” I knew the stance and I took it automatically. Lieut. Fields stepped closer to me to whisper, “Acting as a woman made you vulnerable. Ensign Triens faces that numerous times as a sailor before you see yourself as a victim, I’d suggest you take stock in your experience and the time you have still ahead. Whether it is as Robert, Roberta, or Dort, I hope you rise above any pettiness.”

She handed me a pair of white gloves. I looked at her hands knowing if they were hers they would not fit. When I put them on they fit and Lieut. Fields offer her hand which I shook. “Welcome aboard the team Ensign Roberta.”

She told a reporter that she welcomed aboard Ensign Dort (Dorothy).

It was a well-played game, but our team was much better. The only thing to decide was the final score. Seemingly even the other team respected us and were happy being part of that evening.

Ensign Debra Triens joined our team at half-time in welcoming the Braves Cheerleaders. She asked the other cheerleaders, “Would you like to see Ensign Dort and myself do a cartwheel and then a backflip?” Their answer was as expected, and so was mine but I said, “No.”

She and I agreed to get a running start and the mark we would do a cartwheel and end with a backflip. It was something I could do and would have enjoyed doing with her apart from the view of others in the crowd. The pressure of doing it in front of others diminished my chances of success. I anticipated doing the cartwheel and stopping. With her, a half click ahead of me and continuing I tried and went for the flip. but as she went to a front and back leg split I slowly did the same.

Our basketball team was ready to back come out to the floor which was a nice distraction to finish with fewer eyes upon us.

=^_^=~


After the game and before going to celebrate with the basketball team, Anne came over and sat down with me. “Are you still down about being one of us?”

Looking around to see we were alone, I then said, “Yes, I’m not a girl, but more and more I find myself as one. Sometimes I wish I took the suspension.”

“You still could, would you want to do that? I’m afraid it would diminish all you’ve achieved for us,” Anne said sympathetically.

I said, “No, I wouldn’t want to do that. Worse, and you need to keep this a secret between just us. I sometimes like pretending to be Roberta.”

Anne gives me a gentle hug, “You don't always pretend do you?” I didn’t answer and she didn’t ask a second time.

We went to the hangout where the team was but instead, we sat with the women of the USS Cook. My makeup and dress were more modest for being Roberta. I still had on the wrist corsage.

Both Dane Munster and Zeek were there to hassle me, but they did it at a distance. They abruptly left when Lieut. Fields, Ensign Triens, and I walked toward them. It was nine forty when my phone buzzed and Sierra was outside to pick me up and go home.

She greeted me in the car saying, “You know you won over Dad tonight?”

He hadn’t let me know he hadn’t been. Sierra said, “Until tonight he only knew he should outwardly be accepting of what you needed to do. Tonight Dad sensed you would be going on even when he saw you were embarrassed but stood your ground. He was glad his son was still there. But I think, he became comfortable when you seemed to embrace being Dort and being part of the team.”

Thinking about being embarrassed, I asked, “Was it that noticeable?”

Sonja was with her and said, “I don’t think to others, but we’re family. It was when you and Debra were up top and then back down and with one another.”

She said, “I was lip-reading and kind of heard you. You’re kind of becoming a sister to us and I saw you were talking to Fields and she hugged you like a sister to her. Did she not?”

There was a tingling subtly going through me. Sonja squeezed my hand, “It is okay, Robert to like being Roberta.” I bowed my head on our hands. Her other hand stroked my hair and we were soon home.

Once in the house, I was going to go change and do some studying. Mom said, “Relax as you are. You did a great job today and impressed a lot of people. We’re proud of you and think you should savor the night for a while.” Mom handed a hot chocolate to me as well as one for her. Dad lifted his cup to salute me. My sisters also took time to be with us.

I got a text from Kaylea the basketball Captain, “Thanks, everyone on the team agrees you’ve given us an added sense of pride. Thanks, you’ve got the newspapers and radio taking notice of us. …I couldn’t help but notice when you went up the rope, what I couldn’t see. You have my admiration for all you’re going through.”

=^_^=~


Once during the assembly the next day someone in the crowd asked, “Officer Fields aren’t you embarrassed that it was a boy pretending to be a girl who first invited you?”

Officer Jennifer and the others were in their uniforms. She said, “We understand his being Dort was part of his discipline. We’re focusing on connecting our Destroyer, The USS Cook, with your school as The Destroyers. Despite his mistake, you can be proud of him. Today we’re proud to see Dort the Destroyer as one of the girls. That links back to a connection that goes back to the early days of this school.”

“We’re proud to usher in a new day when the team Destroyers embrace our heritage with strength. The teamwork needed to be a success does include Dort and the Cheer team. I hope you cannot only accept that but embrace it.”

=^_^=~


The women had left and school was returning to normal, but I yet had my session with my neighbor Audrene. I hadn’t guessed that Meredith Hutchins was her niece. She watched as I worked with Audrene. I was slightly embarrassed as I knew Audrene helped me get through the past three days. Today was more about words girls use more often and to think ahead when acting as Dort or Roberta. It was as promised a shorter session.

Then the doorbell rang and Meredith let in Chas Hanson. Meredith said, “My brother Tim couldn’t make it so I asked my good friend Chas to help us. I hope you won’t mind. I just gave a small shake of my head. I knew Chas as he was a grade ahead in school. He was only slightly taller. I’m sure other girls saw him as a good-looking guy. The only reason he and Meredith weren’t an item as they were too close as friends.

Chas offered me his hand as we said goodbye to Audrene. I hugged little Marie and gave her to mom. We went and had pizza for an early dinner and then to walk around one of those Christmas galas. I had enjoyed talking to Chas at the pizzeria. Now as we walked around all the Christmas decorations the three of us shared our likes and what we liked better. Along with various stands of foods and crafts.

Meredith asked me to follow her and for Chas to stay. We’re at a display of chocolates and Meredith has bought each of us one chocolate candy. Meredith said, “This is an extra girl session. I want you to savor this chocolate like you’re flirting with a boy you like.”

I take the chocolate but said, “I have no idea how to do that. I don’t flirt with boys, but I guess you could show me.”

She said, “I bet you can do it. Take the chocolate holding it up in front of you like this. Think of one of those commercials of a young woman savoring a chocolate candy.”

I have the chocolate in front of me as she said and pout my lips half kissing and half ready to enjoy it. I begin to open my mouth when I’m distracted. Chas came up to us and he’s talking more to Meredith. I decided to try what Meredith was talking about. I nudged Chas to get his attention and then focus on the candy.

Meredith smirks as I pout, open my mouth, and take a slow bite of the chocolate. She said, “You did that very well and now I hope you’re ready for a kiss.”

I look up to Chas who has stepped closer and see he’s ready to kiss me. I find myself, pouting my lips slightly open and close my eyes as our lips met. I even found one of my hands on his shoulder and me leaning forward. The kiss was warm and nice as I soon drew back just a little. I opened my eyes and he was still close and I chose to kiss him again.

Soon the three of us are standing there in silence. Until Chas spoke, “I hope you didn’t mind, it just felt right.” We were holding hands and I drew close to hug him.

I said, “I guess that was what Audrene hoped I’d experience as a girl. I can’t say I’m so enamored that I want to date you. But as a girl, it was a nice kiss and you’re easy to be with.” We walked on a little until Meredith said we should visit the powder room.

Once we were there, I decided to use a stall. When I came out and washed my hands, Meredith said, “You should also redo your lipstick and check your makeup.” I soon saw my lips were smudged from the kiss and the makeup around it. She gave me lip-gloss to repair my lips after I fixed my makeup from the lipstick residue.

She said, “You know I don’t see you as a ‘Roberta’. You’re your own person and need a name as such.” We stood there and thought and shared a few names we couldn’t agree on. Then she said, “Rose, Rose Anderson. …What would you think of being Rose Anderson?”

I had no preconceived notion that came with the name and I did like it. I said, “The only thing is my sisters’ names all begin with an ‘S’.”

“That’s fine, isn’t it? You don’t have to be like them either.”

We stayed only another ten minutes and then headed home. It was dark out as we arrived at my house. My extra clothes were already in the car. I got out to go in with them. Chas was nice enough to escort me to the door as Meredith moved to the front seat. Once at the door, I took advantage that it was dark with no one but Meredith could see. I said thanks and we shared a small kiss.

My sisters were soon there to greet me saying Mom and Dad had gone out to eat. Shannon had a warm smile as she said, “I see Roberta had a good time. Where did you go?”

I said, “Meredith Hutchins said I’m not Roberta, a girl like Robert. We came up with the name Rose. What do you think of me being Rose as a girl?”

Sierra pondered as she was looking back and forth at me and then Shannon and back to me. They both nodded their heads as Sierra broke the silence. “Rose Anderson it is then. Dort for the Cheer team, Robert as yourself, and Rose for family and friends when you’re in girl mode.

To be continued…

up
201 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Anchors aweigh

Roberta/Rose is starting to find herself with an almost surprising amount of support from family members. At the same time it seems almost like the cheer team has decided to have some fun with Dort, are some of them resenting the attention Dort is getting? If I said that Dort had a good time with the sailors would that sound wrong? Another good episode that leaves me wanting to see what's next.

Time is the longest distance to your destination.

Rose is gettkng mord into being a girl.

Samantha Heart's picture

I hope the IDIOTS who started all this get theirs. Also i hope Dorothy (Dort) keeps growing & Rose comes foward more & more as the girl she really is.

Love Samantha Renée Heart.