Music School Chapter 2

Printer-friendly version

Lindsey, Ian, and Tessa walk towards the front door of their school. Lindsey kept yawning as she kept pace with her friends.

“How late did you stay up last night, Lindsey?” Tessa glances towards her friend.

“Till two in the morning. I finished all my homework, so I thought I would work on one of our songs. I had a few new ideas and wanted to see how it would sound. It took me a little longer then I thought, but I managed to make the song better.” Lindsey covers up a yawn.

“Your mother let you stay up till two in the morning on a school night?” Tessa couldn’t believe it.

“Her mother would have made her be in bed by midnight.” Tessa knew her parents had a hard time at first with her being trans. However, after her father left. It brought her and her mother closer.

“My mom is used to it. She knows unless I get what is inside my head out, I won’t sleep.” Barbara didn’t mind Lindsey staying up to work on her music.

“If I stayed up that late banging on my drums, my mother would kill me.” Ian knew his mother would send him to bed.

“Your mother should soundproof your bedroom.” Lindsey’s mother soundproofed the spare bedroom for her. That way she wouldn’t bother her mother with her practicing.

“We talked about it and planned on doing that soon.”

“Well, now we need to find a studio to practice at. Oh, that friend of Mr. Simmons is coming in tomorrow to check us out. Also, has anyone talked with Terry or Brenda?” As Lindsey heads towards her locker with Tessa and Ian following behind her.

“I haven’t heard from them. However, I did hear from Kaja and according to what she heard. We have a lot of gigs after Thanksgiving lined up.” Ian saw Kaja in one of his classes yesterday.

“How many gigs?” Lindsey looks towards Ian.

“Don’t know, but we have a few. Just like we are going to be in the Christmas parade this year with our school.” Ian heard about it from one of his instructors.

“You got to be kidding me. We are going to be in the Christmas parade?” Tessa and Lindsey look at Ian.

“Yep, so you better dress warmly.” Ian just smirks as they stop by his locker.

Tessa and Lindsey head towards the class they have together, while Ian heads towards his. The first part of the day goes by like the other day. New students arriving in class and a few changes to the classes.

Around lunchtime they meet again in the cafeteria at a table they were claiming as their own. Jermaine, Kaja, and Jamie join them. Kaja sits on
one side of Lindsey, while Ian sits on the other side of her.

“So, how have your classes been?” Lindsey looks towards Kaja because she didn’t join them on their first day.

“Oh, I’m doing fine. We have a new drama and art teacher this year.” Kaja loved art and will also miss her old art teacher that she had last
year.

“Any new ideas for our merchandise?” Lindsey knew that Kaja, Brenda, Terry, and their manager at Universal Music Publishing Group.

They had arranged for Kaja to still handle all their merchandise. If the record company wants to add anything or sell with the bands name or members on it, had to get permission from her.

“Yep, I’m working with a new vendor that promise to give us a good price on our merchandise. I’m also expanding what we sell as well.” Kaja had a few new ideas for them.

“Well, we need to get together and talk about things.” Lindsey missed being around Kaja and sleeping with her. She loved both Ian and Kaja.

By the time lunch was over everyone heads towards their next class. Tessa, Ian, and Lindsey had band class as their last class. Mr. Simmons had them practicing a new piece they were going to be playing after Thanksgiving.

“Lindsey, Tessa and Ian could you stay behind, please?” Mr. Simmons wanted to talk to them.

Lindsey, Tessa, and Ian stay behind after all their friends and fellow students leave. Once it was just them and Mr. Simmons. They look towards him.

Mr. Simmons looks at the three students “tomorrow, Mr. Alexander will be here tomorrow to see how well the three of you play. I know you said, Ian, that your thinking of joining the wrestling team this year. However, why don’t you try out for Mr. Alexander and see, just in case you change your mind.”

“I’ll think about, Mr. Simmons.” Ian wanted to see if he could make a career outside of music.

“That’s all I ask. So, I’ll see you three tomorrow.” He smiles at them and watches as they leave.

The three head towards their school bus. As they walk outside, they notice their band’s bus waiting for them. Krist was driving and had the door open for them. They notice that all the band members were on the bus., except Jamie and his girlfriend.

“Come on and get in. We have a meeting to get to.” Krist had been sent by Terry to pick-up Tessa, Ian, and Lindsey.

“Where are we going?” Lindsey takes a seat and buckles in.

“The Station. Terry and Jamie are already there.” Krist closes the door after Lindsey, Ian and Tessa are aboard.

The ride to The Station didn’t take long. Lindsey sent a text to her mother and Tessa’s mother letting them know that she and Tessa were with the band at The Station.

“I wonder why we are meeting here?” Krist pulls the bus into their assigned parking space.

Lindsey unbuckles her seat belt and follows behind Ian towards the restaurant. They are greeted by Amanda, one of the new hostesses that manager Val Green recently hired.

“Hey Val, how’s your day been so far?” Lindsey liked Val. She was heavily into the Steampunk culture and was married.

“It’s been okay so far. My shift just started, and things have been a little slow. Oh, by the way, Terry and Brenda are expecting you guys.”
Amanda turns to lead them to the private room they use for special occasions.

“Do you know what this is about?” As Lindsey follows behind Amanda.

“Nope, all I do know is, I’m to bring you guys here when you arrived.” Amanda opens the door to the private room.

As Lindsey walks in, she notices the rest of the band was there. Jermaine, Terry, Jamie, Brenda, Maxine, Christy, were waiting for them.

“Why don’t you guys order yourself a drink. We have a lot to talk about.” Brenda watches as everyone takes a seat.

A waitress named Kelly comes in and takes their drink order, along with any snacks they wanted. Once their order was placed “alright, as you know, we signed with a company called Universal Music Publishing Group. They want us to get some personal photos done and shoot several music videos. On top of that, they want us to produce another album. The first two we did, are still licensed under us. We also have been hired by the management company of our local mall to play Christmas songs and the Mayor wants us to have a float in the Christmas Parade.”

“Our school band is going to be marching in that parade.” Lindsey looks towards Brenda.

“Well, you're going to have to ask your band instructor if you, Tessa and Ian can miss that. The Mayor really wants us to be in it. The town is very proud of us and for what we have done.” Brenda was surprised to receive the request from the Mayor’s office.

“Alright, I’ll talk with Mr. Simmons.” Lindsey figures Mr. Simmons won’t mind, it's just the rest of her band mates that might take it personally.

“What does the mall want us to dress like for that performance?” Kaja saw an interesting opportunity here.

“They would like for us to dress festively.” Brenda knew that they were going to need to hire a tailor or someone to make new outfits for them.

“I’ll handle the design. I have a few ideas in mind.” Kaja already had something in mind for Tessa and Lindsey.

“We also have our obligation here at The Station and The Airship.” Brenda had contracts with both restaurants.

“We might have additional problems as well. Mr. Simmons shared some music I did before joining the band with the Executive Director of the
Georgia Youth Symphony Orchestra. He’s coming by tomorrow to hear how we play during band practice at school. I know he wants members of our band to join the Orchestra. I have also been thinking about playing some jazz as well. The school has a jazz class I might be interested in attending.” Lindsey wanted to broaden her knowledge of music.

“Well, we will cover any problems that might spring up.” Brenda knew they had some flexibility.

“We have some more gigs as well. Some of them are to promote our music, which means we will be attending signings.” Terry forgot to tell Brenda about a couple of signing opportunities that has been set-up for them.

“You better send us a calendar with all these gigs on it. Also, I have a few new songs for us to play. I think we might want to work on some Christmas songs played in our style.” Lindsey had her plate full of songs she was working on.

“Practice is still Sunday. Lindsey, can you speak to your mother about a list of places we can rent to use for practice? My parents would like for us to find another practice place.” Terry was approached by his father about the band getting a place of their own to practice.

“I can do that, I think my mother has a few suggestions for us.” Lindsey needs to remember to talk with her mother.

The rest of the afternoon they discuss some small stuff and have dinner at The Station. It was compliments of the manager since they hardly ever ask for anything when they perform.

up
248 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

When it rains it pours, and

When it rains it pours, and it does seem like the band members have a lot of irons in the fire right now. The calendar seems like a good idea to help keep things straight and available to everyone to know what is going on.

I said this before

I can see a lot of drama just from scheduling conflicts. Everyone (especially teachers, who hold the power of the grade book) will think they come first, The guys in the band are going to have to learn how to meet their needs first.

Crisscrossing paths

Jamie Lee's picture

As if school isn't enough they have more days scheduled than days in a month. While they made comments during their time of vacation, they now have to be concerned with school and all the work it entails.

Others have feelings too.