Girls Just Want to Have Fun Chp. 4

Printer-friendly version

Cassidy wakes up the next morning and stretches her sore body. She was still feeling sore after being slammed against the oak cabinet yesterday. She heads into the kitchen after popping a few aspirins in her mouth. They were more for her head, then the body pain.

She still couldn’t get over what those men did to her yesterday. The short guy scared her the most. She felt goose pimples on her skin when he spoke and looked at her. As she walks into the kitchen. She wonders what her boss had gotten himself into.

Cassidy fixes herself a cup of coffee and while it was brewing, she grabs a blueberry muffin Danny made last night, while she was asleep. She wonders how Arthur was doing on finding the people that attack her yesterday. As she picks at her muffin.

Once her coffee was finish brewing. She finishes fixing it like she likes it and heads into the den. Cassidy turns the television on but was barely paying it any mind. She was thinking about the events from yesterday. She just sits quietly sipping her coffee and eating her muffin.

She wonders what will happen to the store. She liked working there and would hate to see it close. Cassidy thinks about what she can do if it came too it.

While Cassidy was in the den watching television, Larry comes walking in with a cup of coffee. He glances over towards Cassidy “how’s your head?” as he sits down in his favorite chair.

“Still hurts, but other than that, I’m okay.” Cassidy takes a sip of his coffee.

“That’s good to hear. So, what happened yesterday?” Larry and Danny didn’t get the full story from her.

Arthur said she was attacked and hit her head on an Oak cabinet. He didn’t tell them why she was attacked. He and Danny wanted to know the whole story.

“I’ll tell you what I know when Danny comes in here. That way I only have to tell it once.” Cassidy takes another sip of her coffee and watches the news broadcast. There was nothing in it about what took place up at the antique store, which was good news. As she continues to watch television and munch on her muffin. She curls her legs up under her and relaxes on the sofa.

An hour later, Danny comes walking in, looking like he had slept extremely well. He sits on the other end of the sofa and looks towards Cassidy.

“How are you feeling, Cass?” Danny takes a sip of her coffee.

“Better now that I have some coffee in me.” Cassidy had finished her coffee off earlier.

“So, you want to tell us what happened yesterday?” Danny was curious.

Cassidy looks at the two who were more than friends to her. They were more like her older brothers.

“Two men came to the store yesterday asking for my boss. I told them I didn’t know where he was. Then the shorter of the two men had made a comment, after I asked him if there was anything, I could do for them. He said not unless you want to do some extra work for him. Meaning doing a certain type of work for Mr. Hughes. Then when I threaten to call the police, he called me a bitch and backhand me. He sent me backward towards the oak Armoire we have for sale. After I hit the back of my head on it, just as I was blacking out. I saw them leaving. I don’t know how long I was out, but I was woken up by the paramedics and by Luke from the pizza shop.” Cassidy shivers as she remembers what she experienced.

“I wonder what Wes has gotten himself into?” Larry has met Wes on a few occasions.

“I don’t know, but whatever he has gotten himself into. It seems to be very bad. The guy that backhanded me had a look in his eyes like I was a
piece of meat to be used for his amusement. His partner was politer, but I would bet that if you owed him. He would hunt you down till he either got his money or he took it out on your hide.” Cassidy got an uneasy feeling from both.

“Well, they screwed up with assaulting you.” Danny knew some of the guys in town had heard about what happened to Cassidy and wanted to pay the fellow a visit.

Danny knew Cassidy was known for her moonshine and a lot of the moonshiners in the area looked out for each other. The older ones didn’t believe in hitting or attacking a woman.

“Oh, you need to be careful who you sell the moonshine too. I heard through the grapevine, that there are a few ATF agents snooping around.” Danny heard from a friend of his down at the feed & seed store.

“I’ll be careful, and you guys should too. We sell only to customers we know and no one else.” Cassidy didn’t want to go to jail for selling moonshine.

As for the other matter, she’ll leave that matter for Arthur to handle. She has no idea how she would go about solving the problem.

Sheriff’s Office, Sunday Morning:
Arthur had gone by Wes Hughes place to ask him a few questions about the men that attacked Cassidy the other day. When he knocked on the door of Mr. Hughes house, no one answered. He looked around to see if anyone was home but didn’t see anyone.

He heads back to his patrol car and heads towards the office. He’ll go by Cassidy’s house later and see if she could identify the men, she gave a description of. The license plate number he got from Luke was reported as stolen from Charlotte, Va.

He tries dialing Wes Hughes cell phone number, but it goes straight to voicemail. He grabs his car keys and looks towards one of the other officers in the office.

“If anyone needs me, I’m going out to follow up on some leads.”

“Alright, Arthur.” Officer Anderson watches as Arthur heads out of the office.

Arthur heads towards one of the gas stations near the antique store. He wants to see if anyone saw the car, he had been given a description of. It was a slim chance, but someone could have seen the car pass by or stopped to get fuel.

He stops at the nearest Circle K and goes inside. He notices Betty was working the cash register.

“Good morning Betty. How has your morning been?” Arthur fixes himself a cup of coffee.

“It’s been slow this morning. What brings you here so early?” Betty looks over towards Arthur. He normally doesn’t stop by till the afternoon.

“I was hoping if you can help me. Do you know what happened down at the antique store down the block yesterday?” Arthur walks up to Betty while taking a sip from his coffee.

“I heard about it, but I didn’t see anything. I was reloading the hot dogs in the drawer.” Betty was busy putting the new hot dogs out for customers.

“Do you mind if I take a look at your security video from yesterday?” Arthur hopes the camera got something.

“Go ahead.” Betty didn’t mind Arthur looking at the cameras.

He walks into the manager's office and brings up yesterday’s security footage and fast forward to the time the events took place. He watches it several times but doesn’t spot the car. He takes his cell phone out. He wonders why he didn’t ask Cassidy if they had a camera at the antique store.

Cassidy’s Ranch:
Cassidy was in the kitchen cutting up the vegetables she was going to need to make stew tonight. Just as she was cutting the potatoes, her cell phone starts ringing. She puts her knife down and answers her phone.

“Hello” Cassidy switches the phone to the speaker.

“Cassidy, its Arthur. Does the antique store have security cameras in it?”

“Yes, we have four cameras in the store.” Cassidy picks up a carrot and starts cutting it.

“Are you busy right now?” Arthur looks around in the office.

“I’m cutting up some vegetables for dinner tonight, but I can take a break and meet you down at the store.” Cassidy stops what she is doing and washes her hands.

“Alright, I’ll meet you there.”

“Okay, I’ll see you in fifteen minutes.” Cassidy ends the call.

She washes her hands and grabs her car keys “hey guys, I’m heading to the antique store to let Arthur in, so he can review the security recordings.”

“Call us when you get there, Cass.” Danny watches as Cassidy leaves the house.

up
192 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Small town justice has a way

Small town justice has a way of you not wanting any of it done on you. Perhaps these two miscreants just stepped way over the line? Could there be an old abandoned mine shaft with their names on it someplace in the immediate area?