The House 29

Printer-friendly version

Author: 

Audience Rating: 

Publication: 

Genre: 

Permission: 

house.jpg

The House

By Dawn Natelle

This ends Red’s story arc. I have a few more arcs that could be added to the story if there is demand. Readership has dropped off. Let me know if you want more: Dawn.

Tanya Keith took a seat at the Madoc temporary courtroom in the visitor’s gallery. It was nearly a half hour before the court time, and Tanya’a ride in, an inspector of the Peterborough police department, had disappeared into the lawyer’s area. Tanya, a short, pretty blonde, looked around and noticed one seat with an extremely tall woman sitting in it. Since Tanya was still a bit upset after the robbery ten weeks ago, she decided to sit next to the big woman for safety. This would be the first time she met the man who robbed her, and she was still afraid, even with so many police around.

“Have you been here before?” Tanya asked.

“Two weeks ago,” said Sun. “Why are you here?”

“A victim’s statement,” Tanya said as she saw the inspector appear.

“Oh, good,” the officer said. “You are with friends. I just got a call that there has been another robbery in the city, and I need to head back as soon as possible to investigate it. Can you get a ride with your friend, or do I need to wait until you finish your statement?”

“We will make sure she gets home safely,” Sun said before the girl could speak.

Seconds later the call to “all rise” was made, and the judge took the bench and Red stood while the charges against him were repeated.

“That’s not him,” Tanya whispered to Sun. “It was a much bigger black man who robbed me.” Sun just shushed her.

The court clerk told the judge: “I would like to go out of order on the victim’s statements, as the police inspector has to rush back to Peterborough. I call Inspector Winslow Hunt to give a statement.”

“Thank you,” the inspector said, taking the stand. “The city of Peterborough has been besieged by 18 robberies of variety stores over the past 12 months, including one more earlier today. It is important that the judicial system back up the police by showing that this cannot continue without punishment. We plead for a severe sentence in this case.”

“Do you have any questions, Mr. Jenson?” The judge asked. “Mr. Tomis? Thank you inspector. You may head back to your duties.”

The next step, back to normal order, was the recommendations for sentence by the attorneys. “Mr. Jensen, would you make a recommendation?” the clerk asked.

“I have witnessed the accused for the past two weeks, nearly three, and have seen a great deal of remorse on his part. He pled guilty saving the expense of a trial where he should have been tried as a juvenile at least. He also surrendered to the OPP and wishes to put this abnormal action behind him. He had not eaten for three days prior to the robbery, and is now upset at having caused the clerk anxiety. We will ask for a five-year suspended sentence, which is in line with some of the other sentences given in the past year in cases where an accused did not forego trial.”

“I cannot provide a suspended sentence, Mr. Jenson,” the judge said.

“In that case we will recommend a sentence of three years or less in a minimum security institution with some record of rehabilitation, your honor,” John sat down.

“Mr. Tomis,” the court clerk asked, and the crown attorney stood.

“We cannot agree to a minimal sentence,” the crown said. “There have been far too many robberies in Peterborough, and if this trial had been held there, the courtroom would be full of people screaming for harsh penalties. We ask for a five-year term, in at least a medium security institution.”

“Thank you Mr. Tomis,” the judge said. “Please note that this is not a trial, since the accused plead guilty. Had a trial occurred, the venue would have been Peterborough. I understand there is one more impact statement before I pronounce sentence. Please come forward my dear,” she said as Tanya stood.

When in front of the judge, Tanya dropped a bombshell. “That is not the man who robbed me,” she said. “That is just a boy. It was a big black man who held the knife!”

“What do you say to that,” the judge asked Red. “You pled guilty to this crime. Why would you do that?”

“Because it was me,” Red said. “I had a hoodie on, pulled close about my face, and I don’t think she saw anything except the knife. I used a black accent, thinking it would confuse the police. And I think I stood on a rail in front of the counter, which would have made me seem taller.”

“In that case, we will continue,” the judge said. “Go ahead with your statement, dear.”

Tanya read a statement written on Peterborough police stationery. “I am Tanya Keith, and on February 18, I was the sole clerk at my variety store. I was a student in the Social Service Worker program at Fleming College, in the second of four terms. After the robbery, I was unable to work again, nor to continue my courses. I spent most of the next month huddled in my apartment. I read my course books, after a week or two, but I couldn’t bear to leave my apartment, other than for food at the little shop down the street. My education is in shambles, and my student loans are nearly gone. I am nearly two months behind in my rent and won’t be able to get any more OSAP (Ontario Student Awards Program) money since I failed out this term. I don’t know what I will do.”

“We will give you money,” Red shouted out.

The judge rapped her small travelling gavel: “Any more outbursts like that will not be tolerated, young man. Now can someone explain what you mean?”

“I can, if it please the court,” John said. “Our property, Ridge House, was classed as a holding institution, as I understand. We were led to believe that a payment of several thousand dollars are due us for looking after Red … Mr. Eagleclaw, during the past two weeks during his bail period. Those who run the house decided that the entire amount would be saved until Red is released at the end of his sentence, to help him get on his feet. But he insisted that the entire amount be made available to Miss Keith to allow her to get herself back into her education. I will discuss this with her after court.”

“That is quite noble,” the judge said. “But now it is my turn. You may sit down, Miss Keith.” The girl went down and sat back beside Sun, who gave her a huge hug that continued into the judge’s address.

“I have given this case more thought than most sentencings get,” she started. “I thought I had my mind made up on Wednesday, but the following day I was at the arraignment for a man who had been a native boy about Mr. Ravenclaw’s age the first time he appeared before me. I had sentenced him to three months in a juvenile institution. He is now 25, and was arrested for dealing hard drugs in Peterborough. Being put into the system at 16 had not rehabilitated him in any way, and that made my idea of sentencing Mr. Ravenclaw to a juvenile institution less attractive.”

“Then yesterday I had a visit from a woman from CSC in Kingston. Apparently she had been sent to your property two weeks earlier just to see if Mr. Ravenclaw was present, and obeying the terms of his bail. Instead she went further and wrote up a full report qualifying the property as a Class E penal institution. She managed to get it approved by her deputy minister on Monday, probably a record for the workings of CSC. She then spent all of yesterday afternoon convincing me that this institution was a miracle place.”

“Apparently there are many First Nations members on the property, and they have provided Mr. Ravenclaw with extensive and valuable mentoring. There is a family atmosphere at the place, and two infants live there, including a third on the way. There are horses there, and it is well known that working with animals helps in rehabilitation of young men. There is also a lumber mill, machine shop, and blacksmith’s shop there, so the boy will probably learn one or more valuable trades. There is even a school there, run by a resident minister. Education would provided in juvenile institutions, but not in the more severe locations recommended by the crown. And I don’t know of any other school where the student pupil ratio is 2:1.”

“Therefore I sentence Fredrick Ravenclaw to a term on three years in the custody of Ridge House. Parole will not be allowed until after 15 months.”

“Thank you Mrs. Judge,” Red blurted out. “I promise you I will never be back here again.”

“I am counting on that,” the judge said as she rose and left the courtroom. The crown attorney slammed a book shut and then followed her, clearly irate.

John led Red off to get his papers dealt with. A heavily pregnant Cindy Smith and another O.P.P. officer would take Red to the house in their squad car.

Sun sat with Tanya until Red had left, and then John joined them as the three got into Sun’s pickup for a ride to Peterborough. Hawk drove the LTD back to the house.

At the house Dary heard the cars pull into the drive, but acted listlessly, as she had the entire morning as she tended the babies. Daisy peeked out the window and then went to the Great Hall. “I’ll watch the babies, Dary” she said. “I think you are needed outside.”

She peeked out the window, and saw Cindy and another male officer with – Red. He heard her whoop from inside the house, and started towards it. The male officer put a hand on his shoulder, restraining him. “I can look after it from here, Bob,” Cindy told the other officer. “But please take off those cuffs. He is going to need his arms in a second.”

Dary ran down the five steps, only hitting two and embraced the young boy. “You’re back. I thought they were going to take you to jail.” Then she froze up with a sad face. “Or is this just a visit along the way?”

“No, this is my jail,” Red said. “I had the nicest judge, and Ms. Volders from a week ago got this place graded so it could be my jail.”

The pair walked off together, confusing the male officer. The normal process was that they accompany the prisoner to his cell, or a reception area within the jail. Cindy laughed. “Don’t worry. She is one of the guards here. He is safe.”

--------

At the same time as the O.P.P. were escorting Red to the house, Sun and John were taking Tanya home. On the way she was telling John about her financial problems.

“Where do you pay your rent?” the lawyer asked,

“The rental office is near the college,” Tanya said giving the address.

“Take us there, Sun,” John asked.

At the rental office, John and Tanya went in to pay the rent arrears.

“You owe $1630: $800 twice and $30 for a bounced check,” the clerk said. “There is an eviction notice for next Friday. Please be out of the unit by 5 p.m.”

“Do you mean that paying the arrears does not clear the eviction notice?” John asked.

“I don’t think so. Only the agent can cancel the notice.”

“Okay. Here is a check for $2430. That is the arrears and three months rent. Therefore you cannot evict her until after next month is over. And not even then, since there will be no arrears. If your agent fails to cancel the notice, then your company will be sued. Here is my card.”

The girl clipped the card and the check to some paperwork, and John and Tanya left, with the girl laughing. “It is cool knowing a lawyer. You are pretty good. Now what?”

To Fleming, your college: “We are going to see what we can do about getting your schooling caught up.

At the college the three went to the office of the dean for the School of Justice and Community Development, where they were able to get an appointment immediately when they said they were from out-of-town.

John outlined the problems Tanya had gone through, and the dean was helpful. She called in the program coordinator for Social Service Worker, who recognized Tanya.

“I only have a minute,” the coordinator said. “I have to monitor the exam for Prevention and Health Promotion with Ms. Lecarre.”

Tanya perked up. “That is the one course that I home studied the most on. Ms. Lecarre mostly taught from the book, so I might be able to pass that one.”

“Can she write the exam?” John asked the dean.

“She has not officially dropped out of the program, so there is no reason why not,” the dean said.

“Come along, Tanya,” the coordinator said. “This exam usually takes a bit over an hour. Nice to meet the rest of you.”

“Now, about the other courses. I see that the course load for this term was eight courses with 21 hours,” John said, looking at the college website on his iPad. If Tanya manages a pass in the exam she is writing, that will leave seven courses and 18 hours left. Will she be able to take those in term three?”

Unfortunately no,” the dean said. The courses are only offered in the January term, not September. And the fourth term of this program is a Field Placement, so she would not be able to that and take classes at the same time.

“Is there a summer term?” John asked.

“Sort of,” the dean said, “we usually get two or three students per term who fail one or more courses. We often provide an online or semi-online option for those students, so we can retain them in the program for the next year. We could put Tanya into any of those. The only course that we know isn’t being offered this summer is the one she is currently writing her exam for. Ms. Lecarre and her husband are taking a sailing trip around the Great Lakes over the summer.”

“What about the others: are they offering online courses?”

“We don’t arrange that until the exams are written and marked,” the dean said. “You are welcome to go to the professors and check their intentions.”

“Are the professors paid extra for the summer classes?” John asked.

“Yes, they get $40 per student,” the dean said.

“We would like to offer $1800 to the college so that you can pay an extra $100 for any professor who accommodates Tanya with a summer course. This might encourage any who wouldn’t do it for only $40,” John said. “I assume it would work best if we paid the college rather than directly to the teachers.”

“Oh definitely,” the Dean said. “I can imagine the accusations of bribery if a student was paying a teacher.”

“Oh, and give me an application so that Tanya can do her field placement at our facility,” John added. “We are a correctional institution, and we also provide home care support for the elderly in nearby communities.”

Sun and John went around the campus, visiting the professors of the courses that Tanya had missed. The girl had been a top student, and was well liked by all the teachers. As a result all professors agreed to offer the summer program for her. Of the seven courses three were totally online, while the other four required one day a week at the campus as a lab session. John pressed those professors to offer the on-site meetings on Wednesdays.

Back at the Dean’s office, a smiling Tanya appeared after her exam. “I think I aced it,” she said with a smile. Shortly thereafter the program coordinator appeared. “I checked the answer key and your paper, and you got most of the answers right,” she told the girl. “I can’t give you your official mark, but it will definitely be more than a pass.”

“And I think we have arranged for you to attend summer classes online,” John said. “Hopefully you will only have to come to the college once or twice a week for labs. If it turns out that the labs are on the same day, it means we wasted the rent on your apartment.”

“How?” Tanya asked.

“Sun and I want to kidnap you, and take you to the House at Actinolite. We hope to offer you a Field Placement there after you finish term three,” John said. “You can drive into Peterborough one day a week. If the labs are over several days, then you will use your apartment during the week, and just come to the house on weekends. And of course you will have a busy week on campus in the fall, so you need the apartment then.”

“You will need to apply to host a field placement,” the coordinator said. “If you qualify with meaningful work for the student, then I will approve it.”

“I have the papers from the Dean,” John said. Ridge House is a class E penal institution and Tanya would support the First Nations inmates. Since there are only a few at the house, she will also support the elderly outreach program that one of our members provides.”

“Penal, indigenous and elderly outreach,” the coordinator said. “These are three of the key areas the program aims for. Congratulations Tanya. It looks like you will have the prize placement next year.”

They drove back to Tanya’s apartment and picked up her schoolbooks and computer, and headed east to the house where Tanya was assigned a room on the second floor. She met all the members of the household in the evening, and sat down to dinner with them.

“Are you looking for work?” Willow asked. “I need someone to make bread in the mornings, and help out with the busses at the store and gas station you probably saw just before you pulled in here. It is the Greyhound stop for the trips to Ottawa, and there are four a day, two each way. You would get five hours at minimum wage.”

“She doesn’t need money,” Red said from the end of the table. “She gets money from my fees: as much as she needs.”

“Don’t worry Red,” John said. “We spent a pile of your money on her today, paying her rent and summer tuition. Besides, in a week or so she will be doing 18 hours of work a week on her computer. Maybe she can do bread, but probably not the store.”

“Well, what about for the next week until classes start?” Willow persisted. “It will give you something to do, and then you will be available as an emergency temp worker if we need you for a day or two some weeks.”

“She will also be going out with Dan on his calls, I hope,” John said. He explained about the field placement. “That would be perfect,” Dan said. “There are over 30 seniors on my waiting list. If you could work a full day and help 30 a day it would help. It would ease my conscience not to have so many without a weekly visit. I’ll take you out on my morning rounds this week. I think we can work around the busses at the store.”

“Wow, this all sounds so amazing,” Tanya said.

“You know, it is easy to start an elderly outreach program,” Dan said. “But it will be a lot harder to end it after the placement ends. The seniors get used to their visits. I know I hear about it if I miss a week.”

“Perhaps we can make it permanent,” Grey said. “John can look into funding, and perhaps we can give Tanya a job after school ends. Even if we don’t get funding for it, the House could pay her: at least until Red’s term is up and we stop getting the allocations from that.”

“A job?” Tanya said. “That is so great.”

“Come on,” Dary said. “Red can look after the dishes alone tonight. Let me take you to your room. Grey and I got it ready once John called from Peterborough. I hope you like it.”

up
287 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Excellent Story

I have really been enjoying this story, so I hope you continue it. I like learning about uniquely Canadian outlooks, customs and systems. I appreciate the first nations characters and associated culture. You have built a very rich and warm community with the house.

Excellent Story

Christina H's picture

I can only echo what Big John said, this is a truly unique story well written and beautiful to read, sure for the last instalment the readership
was down, it was also down a bit around episode 20 so it's swings and roundabouts.
It is down to you whether you want to continue as I feel your faithful readers will certainly want you to.

To my mind the story is as the world should be which is a utopian - dream totally unattainable but a pleasant dream never the less.

Christina

Love this Story

My5InchFMHeels's picture

This story is as good, or better than River.... I know, I know, that's pushing it, but I am entitled to my opinion :-P

I love your work around of bumps in the road, they are far from cookie cutter fixes.

This one has a bump that I would think hard for Tanya. Being in the vicinity of Red would to me cause some anxiety in her place. Her mind has to associate the robbery with someone, if it's only a large black man, I could see how she could be around Red. However, is there any part of him that she recognizes as her assailant? That is what I was thinking about her returning to the House.

Hope you continue this story even if readership is down, since it's such a wonderful story about how life should/could be.

The House

Robyn B's picture

I eagerly await the arrival of each new chapter of this story. I have read a few stories now with a decidedly Canadian flavour and I find it very comfortable to read as I can relate to the ongoing story more readily than ones from the USA.

You say that the 'Red' arc of the story is coming to a close. I would be very happy to continue down all your divergent paths enjoying the stories and how thy relate back to the main themes. Do not stop.

Keep up the prolific output. If your muse needs feeding, give it a banquet...

Robyn B
Sydney

You Are Getting

joannebarbarella's picture

Over 100 kudos per episode, which IMHO is far more important than a small dip in "readership".
Like other commentors I love this story and would be very disappointed if you discontinued it. The House is full of fascinating characters who support and reinforce each other.

Please continue. That's my personal plea.

Well!

It looks as though things might be working out for Red and Tanya. Indeed it is an ill wind that blows nobody any good!
Good story. Is there any more?

Beverly.

bev_1.jpg

Continuation of story line.

Sabrina W's picture

This storyline has really peaked my interest. I had my post secondary education at Trent University while my wife went to Sir Sandford Fleming college. My summer student job was delivering milk and ice cream to the stores in Madoc , Tweed, etc out of Peterborough. I truly like stories that background information is where I can relate to.

love the story please

love the story please continue, readership could be down as people are busy with the holidays and not time to read

What to write next.

WillowD's picture

As much as I love this story line, I love River and I especially love A Second Chance more.

You seem to be very good at creating new story lines. Why not start another one, which will attract new readers?

(And thank you so much for writing these.)

Keep writing

Alice-s's picture

The problem with a lot of tg stories is that much of the plot has already been covered. This is unique in that it has another story to tell. First nation perspective. I like the cameos as well. So keep writing. We love your work.

You have to understand how important stories like yours are

to people like me, Recently I was able stand and balance unassisted on my good right leg for the first time in 2 1/2 years, It is now part of my exercise regime. Stories like yours keep my spirits up, and moving forward.you write it, I'll read it, and then comment. It is what I do.

Story to tell

Podracer's picture

While you yet have words to write, Dawn, please let them out rather than they wither in the dark. We will be ready to read them. As has been mentioned, the culture and attitudes in your setting are a real attraction. Would that all of us could find the solidarity and support growing in this house.

"Reach for the sun."

Please continue

I can not tell you how much i have enjoyed this story. Please keep writing I love all of the characters and this is one of my favorite stories. Native American themed stories really mean a lot to me since my husband is Chickasaw and Choctaw. Thanks for the story I hope you continue it

EllieJo Jayne

wonderful

excellent result!

DogSig.png

A Vote To Continue

You have my vote to continue this great story. I would really like to see Grey find love. Thank you for sharing this wonderful story.

Quick comment

After reading your concern, thought I too would provide my support. Reading avidly as I catch up. Love the fact that it takes place in my back yard.

Continue please

0.25tspgirl's picture

I follow anything you write. This tale has so many unresolved subplots! I remember Grey has a family of origin out there still for one.

BAK 0.25tspgirl