Jingle All The Way

Printer-friendly version

“Jingle bells, jingle bells, jingle all the way! Oh, what fun it is to ride in a one-horse open sleigh” Ginger, Melody and several of their friends from school were practicing the Lyrics to Jingle Bells.

Kelly was listening as they practice in the living room. She was busy in the kitchen baking cookies and other items for the Christmas party they were having at work and at the school Nora taught at. She was enjoying listening to the kids as she baked.

Nora was in her home office grading papers. Since school started she’s been required by the school board to give more tests. Personally, she felt that testing the students every week was a waste of time.

Nora finishes grading the last paper. She flexes her fingers to get the stiffness out of them. Once she does that, she heads towards the kitchen to grab a cup of coffee. She stops and listens to the kids as they practice. Ginger and Melody had gotten some of their friends together and
entered a singing contest at the mall. They won and would be putting on a performance for the shoppers till Christmas Eve.

Christina was making their costumes and handling all their make-up. She was doing better since her operation. She had a boyfriend that was a police officer. She had gotten pulled over for speeding and the next thing she knew. She and the officer that pulled her over were dating.

Ginger was still dating Williams and Melody was dating a guy from her dance class. He was a nice guy and was as nimble as she is. He didn’t mind that she stutters. Their friends were either members from Melody’s dance class, school or friends of Ginger’s.

They had gotten together and decided to do some caroling for Christmas. So, they got together and practice after school and on the weekend.
A contest for a caroling group had been held at the mall and they entered it and won.

Christina was working her special effects magic to enhance their performance. She designed their costumes and did their make-up. Her new boyfriend even helped her with designing the backdrop for them at the mall.

Nora stands and listens to the kids and when they finish singing, she claps her hands. “You kids sound wonderful.” As she walks toward the kitchen.

“Thanks, Mrs. Midnight.” A red hair girl named Gloria looks towards Nora.

She was Ginger’s best friend and partner in crime. She was also a cheerleader as well. She tried to convince Ginger to try out for the
cheerleading team, but Ginger didn’t want too.

Carol was another friend of Ginger’s. She was transgender just like Ginger and just moved to Memphis, Tn. Her parents were active in the LGBTQ community. They also owned a store down on main street. Fred and Robby were twins and they were Melody’s friends. They took the same classes as she did and were good dancers as well. Melody’s best friend was Jerry. She had short dark brown hair and was smitten with Robby.

She had a speech problem like Melody. Her birth parents abused and beat her all the time. The last time Jerry’s birth parents hit her, they almost killed her. If the police hadn’t arrived when they did, she would have been dead.

She was placed with a nice foster family that later adopted her as their own child. Her and Melody had hit it off instantly and became fast friends.

“The crowd at the mall is going to love hearing you kids sing.” Nora was proud of them. Ginger and Melody had come a long way since she adopted them.

She was especially proud of Melody. She had come out of her shell and was more active then she uses to be. Besides her dancing, she
helped down at the food shelter.

As she walks into the kitchen, it smelled of cakes and cookies. Kelly has been busy baking. Nora grabs a cookie off the plate piled high with cookies.

“Mmm.” As Nora bites into the cookie.

It tasted so good to Nora. She walks over to Kelly and kisses her on the cheek.

“Your cookies are really good.” Nora takes another bite.

Kelly looks at her wife “I know my cookies are. That’s the reason you married me.” As she places a kiss on Nora’s lips.

The kids start singing Silent Night. A smile appears on their faces as Nora and Kelly listen to the song. Kelly couldn’t wait to see how the kids did in the mall.

Christina comes walking into the kitchen. She looked tired as she walks over towards the refrigerator and grabs a bottle of flavored water.

“How are the costumes coming for the group?” Nora knew Christina has been spending all her free time working on them.

Christina turns and looks at her mother “They are almost done. I just need to do some final fitting.”

While Christina had been recovering under Cheshire’s care. She was attacked and had to defend herself and Krisha from some gang members. They wanted revenge on Tizzy for arresting a member of their gang. The gang made the mistake of attacking Tizzy, while she was with her mother and little sister. Christina protected Krisha, while Tizzy and Cheshire handled the gang.

According to what Christina told Nora, Cheshire didn’t bother using a gun. She beat the guys that attack her with her hands only. She had never seen someone Cheshire’s age moved as fast as she did. Christina ended up shooting two of the gang members.

“How are things between you and Officer Knight?” Nora knew things between Christina and officer Knight have been getting serious lately.

“It’s good. He wants me to meet his parents during the holidays.” Christina was nervous about meeting his parents.

She met his sister and her kids. She enjoyed meeting them and had fun with the kids. They loved the fact she was a special effects artist.

“You should, sweetheart. He’s met us already.” Nora insisted on meeting him.

Christina looks towards Nora “alright, I’ll go and meet his parents.”

Nora just smiles as she picks the house phone up and orders dinner for everyone. Kelly was still using the kitchen as a bakery and Nora didn’t want to interrupt her wife’s baking. She walks into the living room and looks at the kids “I’ve ordered pizza’s for you guys.”

“Thanks, mom.” Ginger knew her, and her friends were hungry after all their practicing.

While they waited for the pizzas to arrive. Christina worked on finishing their costumes to wear.

“Mom’s, you have to see this.” Christina turns the lights down in the living room.

Nora and Kelly both walked into the living room to see what Christina wanted. When they walked into the living room, they spot the costumes Ginger and her friends were wearing were glowing.

“Okay, that is nice. Is that, all it does?” Nora knew Christina was more talented then what she was seeing.

“No ma’am, that's not all it does.” Christina looks towards Ginger and her friends.

Christina nods her head at Ginger and they start singing. As they sing, the costume starts flashing different colors according to the different tones of the song. A smile appears on Christina’s face.

Nora and Kelly couldn’t believe what Christina had achieved. The costumes color changed according to the tones of the music. They watch as the costumes were sync to the singing.

Nora and Kelly clap when Ginger and her friends finish singing. They loved what the costumes did when they sing.

“Now, that is impressive Christina.” Nora walks over and hugs her oldest daughter.

“Thanks, mom.” Christina returns the hug.

The pizza guy arrives ten minutes later. Nora pays him and set the pizzas out for everyone to enjoy. Kelly grabs some cups and put ice in them. She sets them out and let the kids pour what they want to drink in them.

Afterward, when everyone has had enough to drink and eat. Nora and Christina drive everyone home, while Kelly gets Ginger and Melody ready for bed. By the time Nora gets back home. The girls were in bed.

December 1, Oak Court Mall:
Christina, some of her friends and her boyfriend help set-up the scenery she had created for Ginger and her friends. The gingerbread house they had built could be used to change into their costumes without anyone seeing them. They could also use it to eat in private and rest between performances.

After Christina and her friends finish setting everything up for her sister and her friends. She watches as Ginger, Melody and their friends start heading towards the ginger house scenery, singing for the crowd. Their costumes changed colors with the notes of the song they were singing.

The song they were singing was Jingle Bells after they finish that song. They go into Frosty the Snowman and then into Winter Wonderland.
There was a donation box that Christina set-up for Ginger and her friends to raise money and donate to a charity.

Nora and Kelly notice that all the parents of Ginger and Melody’s friends showed up. They were recording the performance. Nora and Kelly had a proud look on their faces as they stood and listen to their daughter's sing.

When the group finishes their performance. They got big applause from the parents, shoppers, and children that had stopped to listen to them.

Nora and Kelly were proud of their daughters. They stay and watch over everyone the rest of the afternoon. By 8:30 pm. Nora and Kelly could tell everyone was tired. They watch as the group slip into the gingerbread house and change out of their costumes.

When they come back out from changing. Ginger and Melody were tired. They have never performed so long. All the parents were there to pick up their children.

As Nora, Kelly, Christina, Ginger, and Melody walked to the SUV Nora just recently bought when they got back from Hawaii. They spot Carol’s parents having car trouble.

“You girls stay here. I’ll go and see if we can help them.” Christina gets out of the SUV and walks over to see what the problem was.

Jeff couldn’t believe the battery in the SUV was dead. It started to bring them over to the mall to hear Carol sing, but now it was dead. He spots Christina walking towards him.

“Hey Mr. Scott, is everything okay?” Christina was standing near Mr. Scott’s SUV.

“Yea, the battery is dead. Do you have a set of jumper cables?” Mr. Scott doesn’t know if it would work or not jumping the car.

“I think mom does in her SUV. Let me check with her and we’ll give you a jump.”

“Thanks.” Mr. Scott watches as Christina heads back to Nora’s SUV.

Christina walks up on the driver side and watches as the window lowers.

“What’s the problem, Christina?” Nora didn’t mind helping Carol’s parents.

“Mr. Scott thinks the battery is dead and wants to know if we could give him a jump.” Christina shivers as a cold breeze hit her neck.

“I think we can, Christina. Go ahead and help him pop his hood.” Nora had a set in the back of the SUV.

Nora pulls her SUV up next to Mr. Scott’s and pop the hood and hatchback. She gets out and heads towards the back of the SUV and grab her booster cables. The cables she had were strong enough to jump-start an 18-wheeler with her SUV.

Christina helps to get the SUV’s hooked up. She watches as Nora gets in her SUV and give the engine a little gas. She didn’t need to, but it helps some.

Mr. Scott starts his SUV “thanks, Nora.”

“Any time, Jeff. Do you want me to follow you to the nearest auto parts store?” Nora didn’t mind.

Christina puts the jumper cables back where she got them from and gets back into the SUV. She rubs her hands as the heat from the back and side vents warm her.

“That might be a good idea.” Jeff didn’t want to have to call triple A to rescue him and his family.

Nora follows the Scott’s to the nearest auto parts place and has their battery check. Nora stays with them till the battery is installed.

“See you guys later.” Kelly and Ginger waves to the Scott’s as they drive away and head home.

Several weeks later:
Ginger yawns as she and Melody get into Christina’s car. She was tired from singing all afternoon.

“You girls look tired.” Mark noticed how tired the girls look.

“Between, school, dance class and performing. I barely get a chance to rest.” Ginger was tired.

“I-I like w-what we are d-doing.” Melody loved performing.

“I know sis and I enjoy it as well, but I’m just tired.” Ginger leans against Melody.

Melody wraps her arm around her sister. She knew Ginger worked hard at everything she did.

“Wait till you get older, sis. Things get more time intensive and you have to get the jobs done right away.” Christina was tired as well.

She spent all day working on special effects and masks for a production company. She was getting better at what she did. She still had a lot to learn, but her boss was teaching her what she didn’t know.

They finally make it home. Ginger and Melody head inside the house to let Christina have some alone time with her boyfriend.

“How was your day, girls?” Nora and Kelly were waiting for the girls to come home.

“Tiring, mom.” Ginger walks over and hugs her.

Melody walks over and hugs Kelly. She loved being held by her mother’s. They stay like that for a while and Kelly and Nora put them to bed for the night.

Christina comes walking in, while Nora and Kelly put Ginger and Melody to bed. She had a dreamy look in her eyes and was feeling high on love. She never felt anything like this before.

Nora comes out of the bedroom Ginger and Melody share. Kelly was behind her as they spot Christina.

“Hey Nora, have you noticed that our oldest is acting kind of strangely?” Kelly walks over and places the flat of her hand on Christina’s forehead.

“Now, that you mention it. I would say, she’s in love.” A smile appears on Nora’s face.

Christina just blushes at her mother’s teasing. Christina looks at her mother’s.

“Is this how you two felt when you fell in love?” Christina has never experienced this.

“Yes, it was how we both felt, sweetie.” Nora escorts Christina into the living room so they could talk.

December 20, Children’s Hospital:
Nora and Kelly take Ginger, Melody and their friends to several children hospitals to sing and perform for them. Christina goes as well, dress as Mrs. Clause and her boyfriend, Officer Knight goes dress as Santa Clause. They hand out gifts to the kids after Ginger, Melody and their friends sing a few songs for the children.

Nora got with the head nurse to find out what each child wanted for Christmas that she could give them. She knew a lot of them wanted to be healed. She wishes she could do more for them, but she will do what she can for them.

They visit all the children hospitals and hand out gifts and perform. Christina and her boyfriend were enjoying themselves. Christina did a good job on her boyfriend’s make-up and making him seem like he was Santa Clause.

December 23, Memphis International Airport:
Ginger and Melody were nervous as they waited for their grandmother’s plane to land. They haven’t seen her since they were adopted by Nora and Kelly. Ginger spots their grandmother first.

“Grandma!” As Ginger runs towards her with Melody right behind her.

Both girls wrap their arms around Nora’s mother. They loved seeing their grandmother. Neither girls have ever had a grandmother before or don’t remember if they did.

Agustina embraces both the teenage girls that were hugging her. She has been wanting to meet the girls Nora and her wife Kelly adopted. She spots the third girl Nora and Kelly has claimed as their daughter, standing with a policeman.

“How are my grandchildren?” Agustina walks with Ginger and Melody towards her daughter and daughter-in-law.

“We’re fine, grandma.” Melody was happy.

Nora watches as her mother walked towards her with Ginger and Melody under each arm. She could tell that both girls were happy. She looks towards Christina “that’s your grandma and I’ve told her a lot about you.”

Christina smiles as Mrs. Midnight approaches them with Ginger and Melody. She noticed how happy Melody and Ginger were.

“Mom, I would like you to meet our oldest daughter, Christina.” Nora nudges Christina forward.

Christina steps forward towards Mrs. Midnight “ it's nice to meet you, ma’am.”

Agustina could tell Christina was nervous. She lets go of Ginger and Melody “sweetie, you have nothing to be nervous about.” As she hugs Christina.

Christina returns the hug. She wasn’t sure if she should hug Mrs. Midnight or not.

“How was your flight, mom?” Kelly knew Mrs. Midnight ran a five-star restaurant.

“It was fine, Kelly.” Agustina walked with her girls as they stopped to pick her luggage up.

They head back to Nora’s house and gets Mrs. Midnight settled in. Once Nora’s mother is settled in. They take the girls to the mall to perform.
Tomorrow will be the group's last performance, so they have a few new Christmas songs they are going to sing.

Nora and Kelly take Mrs. Midnight and the kids out for dinner. They take Mrs. Midnight to the place owned by one of her old cooks. Once the cook finds out who she is. He comes out to see her.

They finally make it back home and settle in for the night. Tomorrow was going to be a big day for Ginger and Melody. It was their last performance at the mall. They had informed Christina, so she could get her friends to help take down the scenery afterward.

December 24, Oak Court Mall:
During the first part of the day, Nora, Kelly, and Agustina do some last-minute shopping. The girls and their friends do their performances during the day. Today was their last performance and they have a big finale planned.

At 8:00 pm is when Ginger and Melody and their friends do their last finale. Christina had set them up with several special effects to let them go out with a bang. The janitors will be upset with them, but the last few songs were big productions.

After the last performance and the breakdown of the scenery. They head back home with Christina and her boyfriend following them. Everybody settles in for the night.

December 25 Christmas Day:
Ginger and Melody wake up and head into the den where the Christmas tree was set-up. The girls were excited when they see the Christmas presents. They run over and see what they got. Melody and Ginger got exactly they wanted for Christmas.


Merry Christmas To Everyone

up
153 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Ambush

WillowD's picture

I was wondering if the dead car battery was the start of an ambush. I'm glad to see I was wrong. Thanks for the story.

You're Welcome

I decided to just keep this story a simple Christmas Story. After the holidays I'll post the The Hero, The Mouse and The Cheshire. Cheshire gets to have some fun....

Scarlett.jpg“If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it.”
― Toni Morrison