Racing Angels -chp 16

Printer-friendly version


Racing Angels


Webster’s dictionary defines Speed as the fallowing: the rate of change of position along a straight line with respect to time over a set distance. In other words, the quicker you can get from one place to another. The question is what do you, do when your family has spent the last two generations in search of ways to accomplish this goal faster and faster. Would do you do when the family business is the search for more Speed. For Robert ‘Robby’ McGuire the answer is easy. You grab your sister and strap on a pair of Formula One racecars then go for broke.


Chapter 16
Sunday, Raceday, Shanghai, China
We touched down in Shanghai on Wednesday. I should say that the team touched landed in Shanghai on Wednesday. Mom and dad were still in Bahrain dealing with the F1A and the crash investigation. I’m not the only one that thinks the Bahrain wreck wasn’t an accident. Hell, over eighty percent of the world believes that Fontana turned his car sideways to take both Beth and me out of the race and attempt to remove us from the racing circuit for the year. There has been talk around the pits that Fontana and Hershel will lose their rides. Not that anyone will miss the two assholes.

It seems that of all the drivers on the current circuit they are two of the most hated. Not so much by the fans but by the other race teams. I’ve been doing a little digging and it seems that there has been more than fifteen official complaints filed against Fontana and twelve against Hershel all for unsportsman like conduct. Personally, I think the two men are a pair of egotistical assholes of the first order and both are deserving of a life altering ass beating. The only problem is you can’t fix stupid, not even with duck-tape.

I know that Chief Marks is wanting to pound on the two of them with his prize torque wrench. Chief Hailee just wants to place their heads in his tire press to see if their heads will hold thirty-six psi. I know that if dad gets a hold of either one that their ability to contribute to the human race will be greatly reduced as he removes their manhood with a blowtorch. I won’t even go into what mom wants to do to them. I shiver just thinking about the threats of bodily harm she was promising. I know that Tony, Danny, Jose, Will, and Greg had to pull the girls on our pit crews back from attacking the other pit crew teams.

Talk about holding onto a tiger by the tail. More than a few of the other pit crews found out the hard way that our girls are mean as shit when pissed off. Two of the guys from Toyota had to be seen by the trackside medics for their injuries. One will be needing a nose job to fix his broken nose. The other will be sporting a set of black eyes for the next month. Thanks to their little fight mom double checked all the girls’ luggage before we left Bahrain to make sure none of them were carrying weapons. I think word will finally get around to the other teams to not screw with the women of MRDI. It could be hazardous for your health.

I’m just happy as hell that Yesterday’s practice and Qualifying went a hell of a lot better than last weeks. Beth got fourth place while I pulled down third place. I know the many reason was we were both pissed off at being taken out in last weeks race. That and what the reporters have been saying about us. I don’t know who has been more pissed off over what the talking heads have been saying, Tony or Kelly. Sure, they’re mine and Beth’s significant others but I swear they’re almost egging on the pit crew to commit bodily harm on the reporters. I know that Kelly wants to gut that fuck-nut from ESPN with a dull spoon. While Tony just wants to snatch the gal from the Speed network bald. Starting at her crotch and working his way up.

I think one of the reasons we Qualified so well was what Coach Hall had us all doing for the past few days. We must have run the entire track three times every morning and another three every evening just to get ready for Qualifying. We may not have been able to find a first person view of the track on race conditions on the net, but we now every inch of that track.

Circuit Length 5.451kms, number of turns is 16, run in a clockwise direction. Has a fan capacity of 200,000, was established 2004, and the designer was Hermann Tilke to be a circuit for the new millennium, with impressive spectator facilities and a media center which spans the start finish straightaway. When it opened it was billed as the venue all others should aspire to. It features Tilke's trademark long straight followed by a tight hairpin.

Also, when it opened it was one of the most expensive F1 venues costing around US$459 million, funded by a government-backed joint-venture company. The track was not without scandal though. A scandal that almost shut it down. In September 2007, the former manager of the circuit Yu Zhifei was convicted of embezzlement in a corruption scandal which included several senior communist party officials who also lost their jobs.

Its shape is designed to look like the Chinese character ‘Shang’. Which means high or above, and there are also other echoes of traditional Chinese architecture, including the team buildings which set on stilts in the lake. The land it sits on was formally swampland and had to be reclaimed before any building could begin. Despite this, it was constructed in just 18 months with a team of 3000 engineers. The inaugural race in 2004 was won by Rubens Barrichello driving a Ferrari, and in 2006 the circuit saw Michael Schumacher's final grand prix victory before his retirement at the end of the season.

A lap around this bad boy is one of the more challenging on the circuit. The first two bends make a 185km/h right-hand curve which leads immediately into turns 3 and 4 taken at 105 km/h. One and two are far more difficult - a lift on entry followed by various taps of the throttle and brakes are needed so the car maintains balance throughout. It also becomes blind towards the middle of the corner. Three and four are nowhere near as difficult but a good exit is needed to gain speed down the following straightaway and through turn 5. The complex of turns 1-4 makes up the first of two ‘snails’ on the circuit, the other being turns 11-13.

Turn 6 is a second gear, right-handed hairpin with a plentiful run-off. Turns 7 and 8 make up a high speed chicane - the left-right complex sees a constant G-force of 3g’s and a minimum speed of around 100 mph. Turns 9 and 10 immediately follow. Both are slow left-handers which require a good exit to gain speed down the next straightaway. This straightaway dumps into the second ‘snail’. Turns 11 and 12 effectively make up a slow left-right chicane where the use of the curbs is extremely important, mainly because the traction is low. It is so low that we might as well drift our way through it.

Turn 12 exits into Turn 13 which is a very long right-hander. That becomes less and less tight. The need for an extremely good exit on this Turn is important. The reason for this is the longest straight currently in Formula One follows. At 1170m, it is the equivalent to 11 soccer pitches laid end to end, or the same length as three and a half of the world's biggest aircraft super carriers. Even with this massively long straightaway we’ll still need to watch for the end. That sucker ends in a tight assed hairpin turn from hell.

Turn 14 is a righthanded hairpin turn right at the end of the straightaway. The second gear corner is a prime overtaking spot as DRS is available in the run up to the corner. With Turn 15 allowing for an aggressive inside overtaking, the two turns make for extremely tight racing in this area.

Turn 16 is the last corner and a real bitch to handle. The turn is a fourth-gear left-hander which requires a quick tap on the brakes. Braking early can be more effective as you can then carry more speed through the corner and then down the pit straightaway. The total length of the circuit is 5.451 km, which is about average for most Formula One circuits. The average Qualifying lap speed is around 1:31.678 with a Race lap of around 1:42.778 on average.

Beth’s time of 1:32.537 earned her fourth place in the starting lineup. I know that she would have done better if she hadn’t missed that one down shift into Turn 14. As it is my time of 1:31.77 was just barely enough to earn third. If Beth hadn’t missed the shift, she would have had my position and I would the one in fourth place. I know that I shouldn’t bitch, but just once I want to beat her ass in Qualifying on my own skill.

“Wondering how the cars will handle this afternoon, sis?” Beth’s voice caught me off guard. I hadn’t even heard her walk up behind me, I was so focused on the track.

“Thanks to that rain last night Beth that track is green. No. Not just green, but slick as black ice on a mountain road in February. It’s not going to matter where we start today. It’ll take anywhere between seven to ten laps before we can really open up our engines. And that’s the good news.” I bitched. “We still have to deal with those two ass-clowns Fontana and Hershel on the track.”

“Well, I have some good and bad news on that front. The Commission just announced that they’ve both been suspended for the rest of the year.” Beth smirked and looked over at their old team. “If they want drive anywhere it won’t be on the F-one circuit.”

“Any idea of who is going to replace them?” I asked.

“That’s the bad news.” Beth sighed. “The Richtmann bothers.”

The moment the name left Beth’s lips I knew we were in trouble. Hans and Detrick Richtmann twin brothers and hell on wheels. Two young men that could very well put an end to our chances for a winning season. Hans was not one to fool with on a road course. Detrick though was the one to watch on track courses. I wasn’t too worried about taking them on. So long as we were on road courses, but it was places like here that worried me. I’ve seen the Richtmann twins tare up track courses around the world.

“Nothing we can do about that sis. All we can do is deal with them on the track. If they get stupid, we do like we were going to with Fontana and Hershel.” I look over at my sister and snarl. “We put their asses in the fucking wall.”

“Damn Bobbie! You really got a hard-on hate for these guys. What gives? You’ve never gone into a race made before.” Kelly comments as she walks up to us. “It’s almost like you’re hoping the other drivers try something out there today.”

“Because she is hoping that they try something, Kelly.” Tony said as he walked up on the other side of Beth. “Those fuck-nuts could have gotten Robbie and Beth hurt with that stunt last week.”

“More like gotten one of us killed with that stunt.” I snapped. “I may play rough out on the track, but I never place another driver in danger. I may push the limits of my skills, but I never go past my limits into the danger zone.”

“Um… Bobbie, baby I love you, but I call bullshit on that last part. You always push your limits into the fucking red zone.” Kelly quipped as she hugged. “And when you get into the zone with your music, you get downright scary.”

When I went to correct Kelly, Beth jumped all over me. “She’s telling the truth Bobbie. You’re scary when you’re in the zone like that. Not even I can match your skill when you get like that. You do shit with our cars that is nothing but pure magic.”

“I’m not that good Beth. I’m” That was as far as I got before I had Tony correcting me this time.

“Wrong Bobbie. This time I’m calling you on the bullshit.” He chuckled as he gave me a steady look in the eyes. “Even before I walked through the doors of MDRI I had heard the rumors about you. I’ve met more than a few professional racers Bobbie. Been to more NASCAR, Indy, and F One races than most kids our age. I learned most of that thanks to my former career as a Mix Martial artist. Then you go out there and win your first professional race with a lead that has never been matched. You are that good.”

“Bobbie, Beth! We need to see you two over at the trailer on the double quick.” Chief Hailee called out to us.

“On our way Chief.” Beth called back. She turned to Tony gave him a kiss as I kissed Kelly. The both of us ran towards the trailer. I knew that something was up, and it wasn’t good. The last time Chief Hailee called us into the trailer it was to tell us we were having to replace our transmissions.

As we entered the trailer, I wasn’t the only one brought up short. There in in front of us was the Chairman of Formula One Group and the FIA, Chase Carey. I turned to Beth and sighed. “We’re in deep shit now, sis. You know who were facing?”

“Yup, the big boss.” Beth looked around the room at the rest of the people there. Just as I did before she went on. “I just hope that mom and dad don’t fire our asses.”

“They can’t fire us Beth. They may ground our asses, but not fire us. That’s the down side of being their daughters.” Carey chuckled at my comment. I looked over at him and steeled myself. “Well, Mr. Casey what is the verdict?”

“For starters Miss McGuire, I wanted to be the one to tell you the good news. Due to the actions of Fontana and Hershel last week the Commission feels that you and your sister were robbed of your chances to improve your positions in the points standings. The Commission has decided to award you their drivers’ points. Their manufactures’ points will be revoked and turned over to your parents’ company. A penalty of fifty-thousand dollars will be leveled against their old teams. Both have had their Super License for Formula One indefinitely suspended. Unfortunately, that is the extent to which the Commission can punish the two men.” I could tell that Carey wanted to do more by the tone of his voice.

“Sir, I know and understand that there is just so much that you and the Commission can do.” I told him honestly. “Personally, I would have preferred it if you left them on the circuit.”

“Why in the world would you have wanted to be on the same track as those two scoundrels?” I could tell that my answer had caught the man off guard. Then again, he may be an American, but he wasn’t a South Carolinian. Not by a long shot.

“I don’t get payback this way.” I snarled.

“We TOLD you Mr. Carey that our girls wouldn’t be happy with the Commission’s decision.” Dad snarked. Only to have mom chuckle. “They take getting wrecked on propose very personal.”

“You’re lucky that they’re willing to let you handle this matter.” Chief Marks snapped. “If it was up to us those two would be pushing up daisies. If not worse.”

“I just want to adjust their attitudes with a torque wrench.” Chief Hailee growled out from where he stood. “I won’t even go into what my pit crews want to do to the morons.”

“I see.” Carey swallowed hard at the very bluntness of the two Crew Chiefs. “I take it that there has been more than just the normal team rivalry hazing going on?”

“I suggest that you get with the other teams Mister Chairman and get a handle on the bullshit that has been going on in the pits.” Dad answered harshly. “Because if you don’t. You’ll have a blood bath on your hands in the pit area.”

“Why is that?” Carey asked him.

“Because my PIT CREWS are made of the sons and daughters of South Carolinian rebels. People that can get bent out of shape real fast when people fuck with their young.” Dad told him truthfully then went on with a smile that never reached his eyes. “I won’t even go into WHAT my pit crews will do if they’re cornered.”

“I see that I have a problem on my hands.” Carey said quietly. “Is there any way to keep things from getting out of hand?”

“I doubt it.” I snapped. “As it is Beth and me, have been pulling our pit crews back from retaliating over the stupid shit already.”

“Care to give me an example young lady?” Asked a woman in her mid-forties to early-fifties.

“If you want examples of the bullshit that my team has been putting up with just talk to the female members of my pit crew.” Beth answered the woman in a tone that left little the imagination. “The next time one of the OTHER teams’ member makes a sexual harassing remark or gesture towards them they might just take matters into their own hands.”

Even I had to shiver over the implied threat of bodily harm. “Trust us Mr. Carey. You don’t want to the FEMALE members of our pit crew taking matters into their own hands.”

Between the two vailed threats Carey must have finally realized just how touchy the situation was in the pits. “I’ll have to verify these allegations Ladies before going further, but if there is even a hint that they’re true. Let’s just say that there will be hell to pay.”

“If there is nothing else? I got a race to win.” I said and turned towards the door of the trailer.

“Just one more thing Miss McGuire.” Carey said load enough to stop me. I turned and looked back at him. “IF you or your sister should take matters into your own hands on the track. I will be forced to suspend you as well. Understood?”

I gave the man a glair that left no question as to how I felt about the threat. “So long as the OTHER drivers behave themselves, I will play nice. They get out of hand. I’ll play just as rough as they fucking do, Mr. Carey. Understand something. If they try to put me into the wall. I’ll return the favor.”

With that Beth and I turned to walk out the trailer, but I stopped. “Oh, and Mr. Carey, when I put someone in the wall. They’re fucking to walk away.”

As we exited the trailer, I heard Carey asking. “Is she joking?” and everybody in there answered with one word. “NO.”

I got back to my car as the signal to manned our cars for the hot laps sounded. I gave Beth a hug. “Be careful out there, sis.”

“You to, sis.” Beth said and headed for her car.

It didn’t take me long to buckle in and finish getting ready for the hot laps. When the Marshals let us out on to the track for the first of the hot laps, I knew that the estimate I had about the track was way the fuck off. It was going to take closer to fifteen laps before the track had any type of traction. If it ever gained any type of traction. I knew that Chief Hailee and Marks weren’t going to like my report on track conditions. Fuck I didn’t like the track conditions.

Chief Hailee must have a sixth sense, or he could read our expressions better than I gave him credit for. “Talk to us girls. What’s the problem?”

“That track is worse than the Lady on a bad day in February Chief.” Beth put it bluntly. “Shit! It would be easier to take rout thirty-eight to the beach in an Ice Storm.”

“On bare fucking tires with a rubber clutched Chevet.” I gripped.

“DAMN! That is fucked up.” Chief Marks cracked then turned serious. “Is there anything that we can do to even out your chances? Other than lay down enough rubber or speed stick to bring the track conditions back to race form.”

“I would LOVE to drop enough speed stick out there to coat twenty tracks Chief Marks. Only that ain’t going to happen. The Marshals aren’t going to delay the race long enough for it to dry.” I answered with some heat. “The only way that track is going to get back to race conditions is by getting out there and laying down some rubber under race conditions.”

“Shit.” Chief Hailee snapped. He turned to the pit crews. “Okay people change of plans. I want the softest tires we got in the inventory broken out and put on both cars.”

“Wait Chief. Why the softest? Won’t our mid-range tires be better? I don’t mean to question your decision.” Tony asked him.

“The girls are going to need all the traction they can get for the first ten laps. The softer tires will give them that much of an edge. At least until the other teams figure out what we’re doing. Then all bets will be off.” Chief Marks answered him.

“It won’t be enough Chief Marks. That track is just too green.” I answered truthfully. “The only edge we’re going to have out there today is our skills at backroad racing.” I pointed down pit road at the other teams. “They’re all making the same changes.”

“Shit you’re right, Bobbie.” Hailee had just spotted what I already had and wasn’t happy. “Kathy, Cassy, Sherry, and Charlotte I want you girls to give me an additional five degrees down on the front wing and stabilizers. It might be just enough to give them both an extra amount of grip.”

All four girls smiled then took off to carry out Chief Hailee’s orders. While they were making the adjustments to the front wings and stabilizers for each car. The guys were busting their asses changing out the tires on both cars. I knew that they had plenty of time but for some reason our pit crews had been pushing themselves to be better every time they stepped foot on the track.

With each Qualifying, practice run, and race they gotten better and better. Between Coach Hall’s training regiment and Chief Marks and Hailee’s teaching the two pit crews had become more than I had ever hoped for in a team of race mechanics. They had all become true professionals in their new field of studies. The girls had all started to study automotive body design to better understand the impact of aerodynamic design on racing. Half the guys had been taken under Chief Hailee and Marks’ wing when it came to fabrication. The other half had been taken in by dad to learn about engine and transmission design. Everything they learned just made them ALL better at their assigned positions on the pit crews. Unlike the other teams who only knew their positions and the responsibilities of those positions.

I tugged on Chief Hailee’s sleeve to get his attention. “You know something Chief. Between you, Chief Marks, and Coach Hall you’ve really taken my crazy assed idea and made it real.”

They both chuckled but it was Chief Hailee that explained what really happened. “It may have been hairbrained, Bobbie. But the truth is something that none of us expected. Those friends of yours took their chance and have gone for broke. All of this is their doing, not ours. All that we had done is guide them.”

“That’s the truth. I’ve never seen such dedication to learning a craft that these kids have shown. As it is, we can barely keep up with their need to know more and more.” Chief Marks smiled. I looked over at Coach Hall who was also smiling.

“They’re only tell the truth Bobbie.” She said. “I’ve been a PE teacher for fifteen years now. The Cheerleader Coach for the last seven. Until just recently I’ve never TRULY felt like a teacher. Now, not only do I feel like a teacher but a real COACH for a change. And Roberta, none of this won’t have happened with out your so called ‘hairbrained’ idea.”

Before I could correct any of them Beth and I were called for the drivers intro and parade. As much as I love racing, I have begun to hate certain aspects of the sport. Let me correct myself. I just can’t stand all the pomp and circumstance bullshit. Why can’t we just show up and race is something I’ll never understand.

Once the Starting Grid Presentation and Formula 1 National Anthem was taken care of the it was time for the race. With as much care as possible I prep for the race. I watch as Beth climbs into her car knowing that once the race starts, we stop being sisters. We become competitors. Sure we may be on the same team for most of the race, but for the last two laps it’s every man and woman for themselves. That is something that Beth and I both know. I also know that when it comes time Beth won’t give me a second chance. No matter what happens I got to drive to the best of my skill.

As I climb into the cockpit, I hit the play button on my I-pod. Even as I strap in, I let the sounds of AC/DC’s Back in Black thunder into my soul. The call to start engines comes only halfway through the song. I feel the engine crank over bring with the familiar rumble of power. The adrenalin starts flowing as the rumble reaches my bones.

This is what I live for, controlling the 1.6-litre V6 turbocharged monster that is the very heart of my car. At first glance, this sounds a lot like a smaller version of the V8 engines you find in many production sports cars. That is until you realize one thing. That is F1 engines routinely rev up to 18,000 RPM. It’s all those revs that produce more than 300 HP/L for a total output of around 750 HP or more. It may be the V10’s of old, but it is still a monster on anyone’s track.

Even as we roll onto the track for the warmup lap, I have to fight to control my need for speed. I know that the track is slicker than cat shit on a linoleum floor. If I don’t take care, I’ll be the one in the wall and without help this time. There are just way too many places on this track to screwup. As we round turn 3, I can feel the ass end sliding just a little bit. Not enough to lose control, just enough to let me know the track is still too green to go full tilt. Even with the all the hot laps there just isn’t enough rubber for a solid grip yet. As we exited the left-handed turn 4 into the short straightaway between 4 and 5 I realized that even the straightaways are going to be nasty today.

The more of the track we cover the less I like of the car’s feel. I beginning to think that the change in tires and angle of the front wing was the wrong way to go. Then again mom and dad trusted Chiefs Hailee and Marks for the last fifteen years with setting up their cars for all types of conditions. I need to trust them my damned self. They should know what they’re doing.

As we enter turn 6 I notice that the inside line is going to be a bitch. Even after all the hot laps that have been run there is almost no rubber near the inside edge. If I want to use the inside line it won’t be until much later in the race. Unless it is as a last resort. There is no way to really know until we get up to race speeds to see how that corner will behave.

Turns 7,8,9, and 10 feels almost like a run to the beach on route 37 during a heavy rain. The straightaway from turn 10 to turn 11 is just fast enough to may be get some distance on Beth but no real passing speed. The damned left hairpin of turn 11 is going to be the ass kicker as it leads into the long wide right hander of turn 12. If it wasn’t for turn 13, I would just keep my foot down until I hit that massive straightaway. The problem is the track is just too green for those types of maneuvers right now.

That is where the race is going to be decided today. That beautiful long straightaway is going to be the deciding factor. I should say on how you handle that piece of the track. Whoever gets onto the straightaway first will be the winner. If two drivers come off that turn at the same time it’ll be nothing more than a drag race. Something that both Beth and I are really good at. The problem will be if it is me against Beth. I’ll lose. She is just better at drag racing than me. The only way I’ll win is if I get lucky and Beth makes a mistake. We exit turn 13 onto that straightaway and I can that I’m right about the straightaway.

As we enter turn 14 I can already tell that this is going to be another make or break point. The hairpin of turn 14 is a hard right hander leading into the softer right hand turn of turn 15. The exit off turn 15 is going to be a rude awakening as turn 16 is a sharp left hander that exits onto the front and pit lane straightaway. I watch as the pole position car pulls to a stop at the starting line. By now the final notes AC/DC’s Back in Black were playing in my ears.

I know that the green flag is going to fly as soon as the field is set, but I know that the flagman is the one in control. Not the joker in the pole position. As much as I want to jump the line, I got to wait for that flag to fly. Just like everyone else.

The opening tones of Rammstein’s Engel sound in my earbuds. The heavy driving beat of the drums. The thump of the base. The lonely whistling that draws you in. Then finally the crash of lead guitar. As the first words of the song sound the flag drops. The race is on and I fall away into the mind set I need to run this race.

The first half the race went just like I expected it to. Everyone was feeling out the track and not taking any chances. It also gave the track enough time to rubber up and come into race trim. We’re all turning in faster and faster lap times. With each lap we put down the track comes in faster and faster. The more rubber that we put down on the track the better our traction. This is both good and bad. Good in that we’re getting better traction. Bad in that we’re going through tires like crazy. It’s lap twenty-eight and we’ve already had to pit three times for new tires. At this rate we’ll be out of tires before the end of the race.

It has taken me more than nineteen laps to finally get the feel for where the track is going. I never thought that I would be racing a track instead of the other racers on the Formula One circuit. This track has been a nonstop ballbuster from the start. I thought that racing at Darlington was a bitch, but today this track is making the Lady seem like a sweetheart. It didn’t matter which turn or straightaway we were on the track as just plan nasty. Even with the other drivers being careful there had been three spinouts, and one flat out wreck.

For me. It didn’t matter what happened out here. I just wanted to finish this race in one piece. I can tell Beth is of the same mind. As it is our biggest problem has been the Richtmann brothers. They have slowly climbed their way up through the pack from the last two places. Both of them are in holding positions 7th and 8th. The bitch is that neither Beth or I have been able to get into position to make a pass for second or first place. We’ve gotten close a few times but just haven’t been able to close the deal.

It was like being on your first date and only getting a kiss on the cheek at the door. The crazy part is we were under ORDERS from ‘daddy’ and ‘mommy’ to hold back still. The track is in perfect race trim. I could overtake both of the lead cars in turns 2 through 4 with no problem. If not there then I know I can take them on turns 8 and 9. The last place that I know I can pass them both will be in turns 14 and 15. As much as I would love to be able to overtake them on one of the straightaways. There is just no way in hell for that to happen. They’re just too fast in the straightaways. They’ve already proven this on every lap.

We round turn 16 and the yellow flag comes out. Again. “Beth, Bobbie, back it down. Kratwright slide in on turn 4. Looks like a blown right front tire.”

I was a little surprised at hearing this from mom. She normally stays off the radio during a race. This was dad’s bivouac. He knows what to look for on the track before, during, and after a race. The way she has been watching over us today is unprecedented. I know that something has been up from the start of the race for her to be on top of the spotters’ tower. Her next words confirm this idea for me and Beth.

“Bring ‘em girls. Full set of tires people. I want your best pit times kids. This one is for the money.”

I move over to exit onto pit road with Beth hot on my heels. I spot the lead cars doing the same. Whatever is going down mom is on top of the situation better than dad. I line up for my pit. Beth is about three seconds behind me. This is going to a close set of pit stops for the teams.

As I pull into my pit I slam on the breaks. I no sooner get stopped than I feel the car bounce into the air. I don’t even get a chance to catch my breath before I feel the car hit the ground hard and the front jackman move out of the way. I step down on the throttle and pull out fast. I see Beth pulling into our pit just as the front jackman moved back into position. I head for the pit road exit passing the second and first place cars still in their pits.

I start to key my radio just as mom comes over the radio. “Way to go kids. Pick up your speed a little Beth. You need to get past Hartman and Rally while they’re still changing the settings on their front wings. This is our time girls. Get out there and show them all what you can do.”

Holy shit! No wonder why mom has been holding us back. If those monkey nuts had changed their front wing settings before the race started the same way that we had this would have been a totally different race. It’s no wonder they’ve been taking so many wide turns. If we had gotten too close to them during the first half of the race we could have ended up in a wreck. No. We would have ended up in a wreck on any of the hairpin turns.

I have to smile at what mom saw that we didn’t. It’s no wonder she is the boss. Jewellianna McGuire is one woman that should not be taken at face value. She is sneakier than a ring tailed weasel out to get the hens in the chickencoop. Slyer than a red tailed fox on the hunt for a rabbit. Nastier than a wolverine backed into a corner with a stick up its ass.

“Bobbie, hold your line for the first section. Beth, tighten up on your sister, but don’t crowd her. I want you two to let the rest of the field come to you. Use the curbs and open it up but not all the way on the straightaways. Your only competition right now is the Richtmann twins. They’re coming on hard and fast.”

“How far back are they mom?” Beth asked her.

“NOT far enough, Beth. And I want them to get even closer.” When mom told us that I damned near pissed my pants.

I keyed my mike as we exited turn 4. “Have you lost your mind mom? I don’t want those two anywhere near me.”

“Roberta, I’ll have you know that I have not lost my mind. We need those two to get on your tails for at least ten laps. I want them to challenge you girls. They’ll keep the rest of the field back.”

It took me a few seconds to realize what mom was planning. By allowing the Richtmann twins getting into position to threaten us. They would in turn provide the needed blocking for the rest of the field. I started to giggle over mom’s plan. It was simple but yet elegant. Both at the same time. I gained a whole knew respect for the level of mom’s deviousness.

Then again, I should know better. After all I’ve been living as a woman for the past four months. I mean full time as a woman. I know that it is one of the conditions of my contract, but it doesn’t matter anymore. I’ve come to embrace my new life as both a young woman and a professional Formula One driver.

We exit the straightaway between turns 4 and 5. I look into my rearview mirror and see Beth is right there in second place. The right-hander of turn 5 is shallow enough to take at close to top speed. Neither Beth or I have to break hard for the turn. The short straightaway into turn 6 is not enough allow the Richtmanns to gain much ground on us. I know that mom wants them to basically act as our blockers without knowing it. I just can’t figure out why they’re taking so long to catchup to us.

Then it hit me. They haven’t been keeping up with the track conditions. Not fucking good. I keyed my mike. “Mom, we got a real problem. The Richtmanns haven’t kept up with the track conditions. They’re slipping further and further back.”

“Shit! Bobbie’s right. They’re dropping back even now. Either that or they’re onto your plan.” Beth told her. I had a feeling that she may have a better grip on the situation than I did as she was closer to them. “As much as I hate to say this mom, but I’m pretty sure that they’re onto us.”

“Alright then girls. Forget the plan and just race the track.” I never thought that mom would give that advice in the middle of a race. “Bobbie, CRANK UP the tunes.”

With a practiced ease I take my hand off the wheel as we enter the straightaway between turns 6 and 7. I push the volume to the max on my I-pod. The notes of Motley Crew’s Shout at the Devil thundered in my ears and for the next 3 minutes 13 seconds I push the edge of reason as I race the track. I hear Beth key her mike.

“Push the jams, sis.” We had been working on a way for me to pipe my music between the two cars. With a push of the button my music was being transmitted over the radio to Beth. “Oh YEAH! Time to Rock out and drive for the win!”

I just laughed and down shifted for the next turn. We had twenty-seven laps to go before the checkered flag. Not to mention a shit load of work. Two laps later the song change again, and this time it was to one that I didn’t know was in my play list. Iron Maiden’s Speed of Light filled my soul and drove me to push the edge even further than normal. For the first time sense I won the contract I feel the Reaper on my shoulder.

Once again, I’ve lost my fear. Until now I didn’t truly understand why mom and dad had been holding me back. They knew I was afraid to truly cut lose and drive full title. The wreck had affected me more than I thought. They weren’t the ones holding me back, I was. They had seen it during the Qualifying and practices. Unlike Beth who is an ice cold emotionless driver I rely on my emotions. I hear Beth giggling over the music first then outright laughing.

“About time little sister. The Demon of Darlington County has finally come out to play. Drop the hammer Bobbie!”

Until now I had held back. I had kept my cool on the track. I want to show these people that I was a professional driver. Yet I had forgotten one thing. I had forgotten my passion. My fire. The driving need for speed. To be out here on the edge with my hair on fire and my ass catching. I feel the smile creep across my face with each turn that I take at the maximum speed.

“Are you smiling yet baby girl?” Mom asks quietly over the radio.

“Yes, ma’am. I’m smiling again.” I answer honestly.

“Who are you racing Speedy?” Dad asks in a voice filled with pride. “Is it the Reaper or the Rider?”

I can feel dad’s pride and worry. I know what he is asking and I don’t know how to answer other than honestly. I have to out here. There is no place to hide from myself. The fact that my parents want to know if I’m trying to outrun the Ghost Rider or Death himself is besides the point. They want to know if I can win against those cold heartless immortal bastards.

“I hate to tell you this dad. I never sold my soul and the grave holds no mysteries for me. If the Rider wants to find me. He’ll have to do it out here on the track where I HOLD the winning hand. As for Death he’ll have to wait a while long to claim my ass.” I exit turn 16 onto the front straightaway and jam the throttle to the floor. “I’m gone. I’ve a demon of speed bond to my will. Let him try to catch me. I’m gone!”

Out of nowhere I hear the voice of Kelly raised in victory over the radio. “GO! BOBBIE! GO! RUN HIM DOWN LOVE!”

I answered her the only way that I could. “DONE!” And took turn 1 in a full power slide. The rest of the race I never let Beth gain on me. I just drove for the pure pleasure of speed. Each turn I was on the ragged edge of insanity. I felt the Reaper reaching for me nonstop but always missing at the last second. I heard the huff beats of the Rider’s horse chasing me in a futile attempt to collect the Devil’s bounty on my soul. They may catch me one day, but it fucking won’t today. Not by a long shot.

I pitted three more times for tires. Every time my pit crew got faster and faster. It was as if they were driven by my need for more speed and tighter performance. The laps fell away in a dizzying countdown that left no mistake to the fans that I own this track and would win this race. Not even Beth could close with me now. It was taking all of her considerable skills just to stay within view of my rear end. The Richtmann twins gave up on trying to reach the two of us by lap forty.

By that time Beth and I were putting cars down a lap. Not even the lap traffic was slowing the two of us down. Gone was the Formula One drivers. In their places were two of the nastiest drivers to ever come out of South Carolina. The drivers that had shown us nothing but disrespect for the last two races were now reaping their reward. We let the music carry us both away into the place where death and injury no longer scares us. This is what Beth and I were born to do, and no one was going to tell us different. They can disrespect us only so far before we break out the fifty-five gallon drum of whup ass. Until now they thought we were nothing more than a publicity stunt. If they continued after today, we could and would put them into the wall. Permanently.

I crossed the finish line under the checkered flag with the sounds of Godsuya the Immortal thundering in my ears and fueling my blood. Beth was a little over ten seconds behind me with a full eight seconds on the Richtmann twins in third and fourth place. Little did we know that Beth and I had earned two new nicknames. McGuire’s Ice Cold Furies of speed and the Ice Bitches. Only one would be a nickname that we would defend to the end of the season and on. The other would haunt us no matter how we tried to change.

-----tbc-----

I wish you all a merry and safe Christmas. I will not be posting this week due to the holidays. Until then may the Goddess bless you with peace, love, and happiness.

up
478 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

whoosh!

even the roadrunner and speedy Gonzales would have trouble keeping up with these two!

DogSig.png

Ice Bitches!

My5InchFMHeels's picture

LoL wonder which of the titles they are defending, and which ones will haunt them.. This was such a wonderful pick me up.

Lovin' it!

Sara Selvig's picture

Before you put this up for sale, consider changing ...
"vailed threats" to "veiled threats",
"a glair that left" to "a glare that left",
"to manned our cars" to "to man our cars",
"training regiment" to "training regimen", and
"huff beats" to "hoof beats"

Sara

Sara


Between the wrinkles, the orthopedic shoes, and nine decades of gravity, it is really hard to be alluring. My icon, you ask? It is the last picture I allowed to escape the camera ... back before most BC authors were born.

well written technical story

BarbieLee's picture

Wolfjess, there is no doubt you are an excellent writer at the top of your class. The story was well told. We readers can join your actors and actresses as we also feel the 'need for speed' as our emotions and our heart beat settles into the grove. Our eyes seeing every small detail near and far as our mind analyzes the total picture making sure we don't over speed what is safe. Even as we push just to the line of stupid or insanity. Take your pick.

A while back I read a story about a son-daughter earning 'all' her pilot licenses. It was a very well told story. I could have skipped half of it for a better read. We readers received a full blown detail by detail description of what it takes to fly an airplane in and out of controlled airspace along with the mother daughter relationship. As a pilot if I wanted to freshen up on FAA regs I would have gone back to the Pilots Handbook. The story was nice but a big batch of boring. I don't know how other readers liked it and maybe I'm wrong.

I love your story. I have never raced on an official race track Never did anything to put anyone in harms way. I'll never see a hundred sixty on the speedometer again. Not to say it won't be on the airspeed indicator as the prop cuts its way through the air. Your descriptions analyzing the turn by turn on the race track was a little more than I really needed to know. I'll never park my tail in anything that runs an official track. Your story telling is at the top of the class. Maybe I'm the only one who doesn't need a turn by turn description of the track. A little goes a long way. Besides I'm not a writer.
Hugs Hon
always,
Barb

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

Why would someone

trash their car to take out competitors, they paid a steep price for it, I don't see their sponsors being too happy about it.

Hubris

Basically, they place more value on their "injured" pride than they do on their careers or others lives. Just because they are good at making split second decisions at high speed does not mean they make good decisions at life.

Make stupid decisions win stupid prizes

Why did Mark David Chapman kill John Lennon?

He was a total nobody and he said he wanted his name to be always associated with John Lennon.

I have long ago ceased to believe that there are any limitations on humanity’s stupidity.

AAHHH Great!!!

I was seriously going through with drawls awaiting your next installment!
Thanks
a

alissa

love this story, the

love this story, the description of the track lets you try to visualize what it would be like to be there.
Iron Maidens "Run to the Hills" would be good up tempo song for Bobbie towards the end of the race.

A long wait.

Robyn B's picture

I too, was getting anxious waiting for the posting of the next instalment of Racing Angels. When I am reading stories on BC that are in real life, as in not fantasy or space fiction, I have BC open in one window and Google maps in another.

While reading the chapters of this story I bring up the google earth satellite imagery of the race tracks and can see much more into the story. It helps to visualise the scene and understand some of the writing such as: "the team buildings which set on stilts in the lake".

Looking at the imagery helps me to understand the complexity of the turns, the tightness, or looseness, of the turns and the relativity of the straights, appreciating how much braking is required after the speed achieved after turn 14 into the tight turn 15.

Google Maps is a real asset when reading stories like these. No, I do not have shares in Google.

Jess, I'm glad that technical issues of the past few weeks seem to be gone and that you and your family have a grand Christmas and New Year. I look forward to the return to regular postings, even though I don't think they come fast enough...

Regards,

Robyn B
Sydney

Racing Angels

Thank you for another chapter on the race track. It's great to see the girls going for it. I wonder if sometimes the threats or warnings get a little heavy. I look forward to a new chapter on any of your stories. Have a Happy Holiday Season.

Time is the longest distance to your destination.

As always great story Jess

I did get a chuckle at the pun toward Ron White and Red Green in the story.

"Can't fix stupid, even with duct tape!"

At least the comment made me think of the two TV personalities :)

We the willing, led by the unsure. Have been doing so much with so little for so long,
We are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

Thank you WolfJess

WillowD's picture

Like pretty well everything you write, this is a GOOD story.

Hard racing okay

Jamie Lee's picture

All Beth and Bobbie want to do is race hard and clean, but aren't going to take garbage from those on the track who think hard racing means dirty racing.

It was to the benefit of tge sport that those two yahoos got kicked out of formula one racing, trying to hurt others can't be tolerated. It was also good the heavy fine was levied on the team.

Bobbie and Beth's team have an advantage the other teams don't have, experienced people who've raced on more than on type of surface, and understand preparations better. When Bobbie past the first and second place drivers still sitting in the pits, she got a glimpse into how to be prepared.

The other teams simply reacted instead of preparing their setups when it wasn't needed as much so soon.

Others have feelings too.

What a contrast from Bahrain!

OK, the track conditions were terrible, but it seems their parents had figured a better strategy (both in terms of trim and tactics) than the rest of the pack, and craftily turned their biggest rivals (the terrible twins) into their biggest asset on the last few laps.

I'll take a punt and speculate they prefer Furies (which in itself can be associated with speed) to Bitches (which is more an insult).


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!