Music School Chapter 4

Printer-friendly version

Lindsey yawns as she gets out of bed. Her arms were sore, and her bad knee was bothering her. They finally found a place that would be perfect for the band to practice, record and choreograph their dance moves. They signed a lease with Barbara’s rental agency to lease the place, with the option to buy it.

They spent the last few days after school cleaning and renovating it. They managed to track down some used and brand-new recording equipment from the music store. They bought all the equipment from the same store that they bought all their instruments from. Maxine was
put in charge of hooking everything up and making sure it worked.

Lindsey and Tessa joined the jazz and orchestra classes. Their first days of class were interesting.to say the least. The style of music was different from what they were used to playing. Both were enjoying their classes and playing at The Station and the Airship. Lindsey socialized with the jazz group that performs at The Station and The Airship about the different styles of music.

Lindsey walks out of her bedroom and into the kitchen. She had a slight limp to her walk because of the temperature change. Her knee was reacting to it. She grabs an orange and starts peeling it. Barbara had to leave early to show a couple of houses.

She turns the television on in the kitchen and watches the news. Her band was in the news again from their performance in the park and how they will be playing in the upcoming Christmas parade. Kaja hasn’t gotten back to them about the Christmas costumes they were going to wear when they performed. She finishes her orange and fixes some coffee for herself. She walks over to the refrigerator where she posted the calendar of events they had planned for November and December.

They had six football games between October and November. Then they needed to go and get new group pictures for their third album coming out around Christmas time. She cleans up the mess she made in the kitchen

Once Lindsey finishes her coffee, she heads back into her bedroom and starts getting dress. Lindsey examines her body in the full-length mirror on the back of her door. Her body was developing faster than she thought. Her breasts were getting bigger. She was already up to a B cup. She outgrew her A cup bra. She puts her knee brace on after she finishes getting dress.

Today they were going to practice at the new studio. Terry and Jamie’s parents were happy when they finally found it. It took them about a week to find the perfect place. Then another week to get it ready, while they honored their obligations.

Lindsey hears a car honking outside her house, she peeks out the window and spots Krist in their Band bus. Lindsey grabs her bag and heads out to the band bus.

“Hey, Krist.” As she walks in.

Tessa and Ian were already on the bus. Lindsey waves to them as she takes a seat.

“Hey, guys.”

“Hey, Lindsey.” Tessa was looking over some music she came across in her mother’s stuff.

It looked like her mother started writing it, but never finished it. She wouldn’t mind finishing it for her mother. She wonders why her mother never finished the piece.

Ian was tapping on the seat with his drumsticks. He was trying to work out a piece that Lindsey wrote for their third album. He notices that she was wearing her knee brace today.

“Is your knee bothering you?” As he spots tapping and looks over towards her.

“Yep, it started hurting this morning when I got up.” Lindsey took some aspirin to dull the pain.

“Is it the one you injured last year in gym class?” Ian couldn’t remember if it was her left or right knee.

“The one I injured last year in gym class.” Lindsey rubs her knee.

“Alright, ladies and gentlemen were here,” Krist calls towards the back.

He installed a camera, so he could see what was going on behind him and an intercom to talk with everyone.

“Thanks, Krist.” Lindsey gets out first, followed by Ian and Tessa.

The outside looked like it used to be a medical office. They kept the reception area like it was and converted one of the large medical rooms and the room next to it into a recording studio. The other medical room, they converted that into a practice room and the last room was big enough for them to choreograph their dance moves.

They also had a room that Kaja could put their merchandise they ordered in and store spare parts for their instruments. They had storage shelves for keeping the studio cleaned and ready for use. The rent on the place wasn’t too bad. The gigs they do on the weekends for the Steampunk restaurants cover the cost of the building and the electricity. The building itself sat on 1.5 acres of land and was out by itself. The parking lot could hold twenty cars and had a small kitchenette.

Krist parks the tour bus and heads inside as well. He liked the new place, especially the reception area. He could watch the football game on the big screen the band put in there.

The smell of fresh paint and cleaner assault his nose as he walks in. All the band members were standing in the reception area. He walks over to them to find out what they were going to do.

Terry looks at everyone and couldn’t believe they finally got a building that was theirs. They had worked hard setting up everything and now it was ready to be used.

“Today, we will have our first rehearsal in our new studio. So, let's go and have some fun.” Terry leads the way to the practice studio.

The smell of fresh paint assaulted their sense of smell. Their instruments were already set-up and ready to go. Tessa takes her spot and Lindsey’s takes her spot. Everyone else takes their place and they start playing.

For the next few hours, they practice their old songs and some of the new ones that were written. They practice a few Christmas songs with their own style and twist to the songs. By the time they stop for a break, all the band members were a little wipeout.

“Who wants cold water?” Ian grabs a towel and wipes the sweat off his body.

“I’ll take one.” Lindsey walks over to Ian.

Ian hands her bottle water “anyone else wants one?”

“I’ll take one.” Tessa walks over to Ian as well.

Terry and Jamie look over towards the three “can we continue?”

“Yes.” Lindsey walks back over towards her instruments.

“So, which songs do you want to play on the float?” Lindsey looks towards Terry since he is the leader of their band.

“Well, since it is a Christmas float. We can play Here comes Santa Clause, Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, I saw Mommy kissing Santa
Clause, Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas and Santa Claus is Coming to Town.” Tessa figures those songs would be good for them.

“Don’t forget Jingle Bells.” Jermaine knew the kids love that song.

“Okay, so let’s play those songs and put our twist on them.” Lindsey starts off with Jingle Bells, but she puts a little twist to it and Tessa follows on her synthesizer.

The guys picked up on Lindsey’s and Tessa’s twist and add to it. When they transitioned from that song, they go directly into the next one with
Terry burning the way. He gives the song his special touch with Tessa adding a special touch of her own to it. By the time they were done, it was late in the afternoon.

“Dam! We need to load the bus up and take our gear over to The Airship.” Lindsey was sitting on her bar stool she keeps at her synthesizer rubbing her knee.

“Which instruments do you want to take with us?” Terry looks towards Lindsey and spotted her rubbing her bad knee.

“Let’s take our backup instruments with us tonight. Tessa can use my spare synthesizer and I’ll play my sax and the Gretsch resonator tonight.” Lindsey didn’t feel like jumping all over the stage.

“Lindsey, is your knee bothering you?” Terry walks over and looks at it.

“The aspirin I took has worn off.” Lindsey reaches down for her purse.

“Here, let me get them for you.” Terry reaches into Lindsey purse and grabs the aspirin bottle.

He hands the small white bottle to her after opening it.

“Thanks.” Lindsey pops two aspirin into her mouth and takes a sip of her water.

“You sit and rest for a while, Lindsey.” Terry knew Barbara wanted him to look after Lindsey.

Even his own mother told him to make sure he lookout for her. Jamie and Jermaine help with loading the bus up with their spare instrument.

Tessa leans in close to Lindsey “are you going to be able to play tonight.”

“I’ll be able to play, I just won’t be able to do a lot of bouncing around and dancing tonight.” Even with her wearing her brace, she knew she better not do a lot of movement tonight.

Lindsey double checks the instruments and make sure they have everything they need tonight. Once she is done, she gets on the bus and takes a seat where she can stretch her leg out. She lays back against the seat and enjoys the ride over to The Airship.

“Lindsey, let me set your instruments up.” Jermaine was concern about their youngest member.

“Thanks, Jermaine.” Lindsey closes her eyes and relax.

Twenty minutes later, they arrive at The Airship and come in from the back entrance and set-up for their performance tonight. The place wasn’t as busy as it normally was on a Saturday night.

“Stay here, till we're ready to play, Lindsey.” Terry escorts Lindsey over towards a table near the stage.

Vicky, the shift manager comes walking over towards Lindsey “hey Lind’s, how are you feeling?”

Lindsey looks up at Vicky “sore, my knee is bothering me.”

“What did you do to it?” Vicky knew Lindsey was a good musician.

“It’s the one that I injured last year in school.” Lindsey could still remember the girl who pushed her hard that fractured her kneecap.

She wasn't in school this year. What Lindsey heard, she got shipped off to a private school that has reputation for being extremely strict.

“Will you be able to perform tonight?” Vicky didn’t want Lindsey to injure herself more.

“I’ll be able to play, I just won’t be jumping around on stage.” A smile appears on her face.

“Okay, but if you need anything, let me know.” Vicky knew the patrons came to see Lindsey bounce around on stage and play different
instruments.

The band starts playing on time. Lindsey sits behind her synthesizer and play. She changes instruments throughout their gigs.

By the time they were done with their gig. Lindsey was ready to go home. She checks her knee and felt fluid inside it.

She figures her mother will have to take her to the doctor tomorrow and have it taken care of. Once they were loaded, Krist takes Lindsey home and drop her and Ian off.

“I'll take care of your instruments, Lindsey.” Krist could tell that Lindsey wasn’t feeling well.

“Thanks, Krist.” As she limps towards the front door with her sax.

up
207 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Lindsay MAY have

Samantha Heart's picture

To have her knee opperated on again this isn't normal AT ALL. Maybe be a torn ACL because of the fracture

Love Samantha Renée Heart.

Drat my memory

WillowD's picture

This is one of favorite Lady Dragon stories but I'm having trouble remembering the back story. That knee doesn't sound good at all.

Better ID Of Tie-in With School Life Needed

The names of these related stories indicate little kinship. I didn't find the tie in until today when I was rereading School Life, which was a real favorite of mine. At the end of the last chapter, I almost missed the flag that indicated that the story was to be continued under Music School. The titles of the stories may need to be coordinated i.e. School Life II - Music School #, which will make the tie in very obvious and put them adjacent in the index of stories. The tie could also be added to your list of tie ins at the start of your index.