Tommy - The Trials and Tribulations of a Girl? - Chapter 142

Printer-friendly version


Tommy
The Trials and Tribulations of a Girl?

A Novel By Teddie S.

Copyright © 2018 Teddie S.
All Rights Reserved.

Chapter 142
A problem. Please, Miss Nez, don’t do it again.
Charlie, you’re going!

Amy and I had gone to the resort to meditate over the job offers that I’d received, one from the university and one from the Los Alamos National Laboratory. We went to the remote hogan at the resort, and it looked like Naainish had done a little set up in it, a nicely laid fire, straw for a bed, and a sand painting.

I think the meditation turned into more of a vigil. Both Ajie and I had the same dream or was it a vision.

Amy had to be at her class at eleven on Wednesday morning, so we were back in Albuquerque early enough for her to make her class. We both had the classes we teach earlier in the day covered. After I’d dropped her off at her class, I walked over to Dr. Joe’s office and told him of our decisions.

Then Dr. Joe and I had gone to see Dean Rutherford, and he was happy that I had decided to accept the universities offer to become a part-time instructor and a research fellow. The three of us talked about what the university would like me to do, and that included teaching the second quarter of both of the classes that I was now teaching, and the third quarter of Electronic Circuits and Systems in the spring.

They also want me to develop a new class on the introduction to computer design, and teach it in the spring.

Then the Dean tells us that the Los Alamos National Laboratory has another research project for us. But, that Dr. Fontheim had said that there were two conditions.

I’d said, “Two conditions, sir?”

“Yes, he wants the two of you to do the research.”, Dean Rutherford said.

I looked at Dr. Joe. Dr. Joe then said, “I don’t see a problem with that, Dean Rutherford. How about you, Kai?”

“No.”, I replied. “I don’t see a problem either. But, what’s the second condition?”

Looking at me over the tops of his glasses, Dean Rutherford said, “Both of you would need security clearances.”

I sat back in my chair, sighed, slowly shook my head no, then said, “Dean, that’s a stumbling block and one of the reasons I’m not even thinking of taking the job at Los Alamos.”

“Oh?”

“Dean, who am I?”

“Your Kai Nez.”

“Am I? Look a few years back in my history, and you will find that Kai Nez didn’t exist, but Tom Young did.”

“I see your point. That could be a problem.”

“No, it would be a problem.”

“Dr. Fontheim said that you’d only need a Confidential security clearance.”

“Whatever that means.”

“Let me look into this. And, we’ll talk again.”

“Will this be a deal breaker on my teaching position or the research fellowship?”

“No, Miss Nez it won’t. You’re too good of a teacher and researcher to lose over this.”

“Dean, please keep who I am quiet.”

“I will.”

I thought, ‘I sure hope that I can trust you.’

Later, as Dr. Joe and I walked out of the Dean’s office, and back towards Dr. Joe’s office, he asked, “Them doing a background check on you could be a problem. Couldn’t it?”

“Dr. Joe.”, I said. “I’d have to disappear into one of the hippy communes in the mountains outside of Taos or deep it to the mountains on the Navajo Reservation.”

“No, you wouldn’t.”

I just looked at him with a raised eyebrow.

When we returned to his office, we found Amy sitting outside waiting for us. She looked at us, and said, “I was just about ready to give up on you.”

“Sorry.”, I said. “What time is it?”

“Twelve-thirty. Where were you anyway?”

“Meeting with Dean Rutherford.”

“Oh. Did you tell him your decision?”

“Our decision. Yes.”

“Was he happy?”

“For the most part, yes.”

“What was he unhappy about.”

“Let’s get some lunch, and I’ll tell you.”

“The faculty dining room?”, Dr. Joe asked.

“I was thinking of someplace a little more private.”, I replied. “Besides I’m feeling a ginger ale milkshake in my future.”

“A what?”

“A ginger ale milkshake.”

“Never had one.”

“Try one. You might like it.”

Dr. Joe drove over to Amy’s and my favorite drive-in. And he bought lunch for the three of us. And while we sat there, we filled Amy in on what happened in the Dean’s office.

She was excited over me teaching winter and spring quarters, and in being asked to develop the new course. And, she thought it would be a good idea for the university to offer the summer seminar to those of Dr. Kilmer’s ex-students that wanted it.

Then I told Amy about the research that the National Laboratory wanted us to do. And she was excited about that too until I mentioned the security clearance. She said, “I wondered if that would ever come up. And, with everything that they do there, it was bound to come up sooner or later.”

“You’re right.”, I said. “I just hope that it won’t hurt the relationship between the university and the lab.”

“It shouldn’t.”, Dr. Joe said. “They’ve had a good relationship for years. And I’ll bet that Dean Rutherford will work something out.”

“I hope.”

“By the way. The ginger ale milkshake is delicious.”

“I thought you might like it.”

I thought for a couple of seconds, then said, “Dr. Joe, you know the Dean never blinked an eye when I mentioned that Dr. Fontheim had offered me a position.”

Dr. Joe looked at me, and said, “He knew.”

“He knew?”

“Yes, he and Dr. Fontheim talked about it. So, he knew what Dr. Fontheim was going to offer you a job.”

“Is that why he offered me the teaching position?”

“No, we’d been talking about it for a while and thought it was time to offer it to you. I guess it was only a day or two later that Dr. Fontheim told him that they were going to make the offer to you that they did. But, you’d need your masters first.”

“Interesting.”

A little later as Dr. Joe was dropping us off at the apartment, I said, “Well I guess we won’t have any research to do for a while.”

“Don’t count on it.”, Dr. Joe replied. “They’ll find something for us to do.”

“And, I’ve got to start thinking about that class in computer design and find a book to use.”

“Go over to the bookstore, see the manager, and tell him what you’re looking for. They’re always getting information on new scholarly publications, and they can order you any books that you want to look at.”

“I didn’t know that.”

“Welcome to the world of being on the faculty of a university.”

“Do I have to pay for them?”

“No, and you can keep them. It’s one of the perks of teaching. You can build a nice library too.”

“Really?”

“Once they have the book, and it’s been used. Like you looking through it. They can’t send it back.”

“What about giving it to the university library?”

“I guess you could do that.”

“At least that way everyone would have access to them.”

“Leave it to you to think that way.”, Dr. Joe said.

“Besides, I’d know it was there and could reference it anytime I wanted.”

“When you’ve picked a few books that you think might be good, we can sit down and go over them, and pick the book for the course.”

“Sounds good to me.”

As Amy and I got out of the car, we said so long to Dr. Joe and went into the apartment. As I walked past the mailbox, I grabbed the mail, and there was a letter from our financial advisor.

Once in the apartment, I checked the answering machine, and there weren’t any messages. Then I opened the letter from our financial advisor, and there was some interesting news. The one stock that had split so many times had split again. Plus all of the investments were doing well. So, the Chief's scholarship was doing well, as are Amy and I.

As Amy was reading the letter, I said, “I think that we’re okay to stay here in the apartment at least until the end of spring quarter. Then I think that it's time that we need to find someplace a little more permanent.”

“You think that we’ll stay out here?”, Amy asked.

“I know we will be out here until you’ve earned your doctoral, if not beyond.”

“So, you feel that I’ll earn my doctoral?”

“Yes, as Naainish would say, it’s written in the stars.”

“I’ve never heard him say that.”

“I know. I read it someplace, I liked it, and it sounds like something he’d say.”

“You’re funny.”

“You are the shooting star finder. So, it fits you.”

Amy just shook her head.

Thursday it was back to normal. Amy was working in the ER all day, and I taught my Electric Circuits course. I did tell my students two things, one that I’d be teaching the second part of their class next quarter, and that I was no longer a graduate assistant, but a part-time instructor. And, I thought I saw some smiles.

After my two classes, I stopped at the Dean’s office on my way home and to pick up the class overviews for the winter and spring parts of my classes. As the Dean’s secretary was getting the class overviews for me, the Dean walked in with a few faculty members, at least they looked like faculty types. The Dean saw me and said, “Miss Nez it’s nice to see you.”

“It’s nice to see you too, Dean Rutherford.”, I said.

Then to the group of men he was with, he said, “Gentlemen, this is Miss Nez, she’s our newest part-time instructor in the Electrical Engineering Department.”

There were some strange looks from a few of the men and a smile from one of the faculty that I’d already met. And, that was Dr. O’Riley, who the Dean’s secretary had warned me about. He’s a womanizer.

Dean Rutherford must have seen the strange looks from some of the faculty members, as he said, “Don’t worry gentlemen, she graduated from Ohio State this past spring with a degree in Electrical Engineering and a minor in computers. She also graduated Cum Laude.

“She’s picked up Dr. Kilmer’s course load and is doing very well. She’s also done some research work with Dr. Oshie. Plus she’s working on her masters.”

I smiled at the men, and said, “It’s a pleasure to meet you gentlemen, and also to see you again Dr. O’Riley.”

Maybe I shouldn’t have acknowledged Dr. O’Riley. Oh well, too late now.

Just then Dean Rutherford’s secretary, Sara, walked over to me, handed me the class overviews, and said, “Here you are, Miss Nez, these are the class overviews for the other parts of those classes.”

“Thanks, Sara.”, I said. “I appreciate your help.”

“Think nothing of it.”

As I went to walk out of the office door, Dr. O’Riley caught up with me, grabbed my arm, and said, “Miss Nez, it’s nice to have you on the faculty. We’ll have to get together and compare notes.”

I turned, looked at Dr. O’Riley, then looked at his hand on my arm, and said loud enough for everyone to hear, “Dr. O’Riley, I’ve been warned about you. I don’t like being looked at as someone who can be used, because I can’t. And, I stand up for myself. And, I’ll warn you one time. I don’t like being touched. Touch me again like that, and I WILL hurt you. Ask Dr. Kilmer, if you can find him.”

Dr. O’Riley looked at me like a deer caught in the headlights, let go of my arm, and backed away from me. I saw Sara looking in our direction and smiling. And, Dean Rutherford frowning at Dr. O’Riley.

As the office door closed behind me, I heard Dean Rutherford say, “Dr. O’Riley, can I see you in my office.”

I so wanted to go back into the office and talk with Sara. Maybe later.

I took the class overviews back to the apartment and started reading them to see what I was going to need to do, short of completely rewriting them.

Later that afternoon, I walked over and picked up Amy at the ER, and we fixed a light supper. Sunset comes early this time of year, so it was too dark to go for a hike after dinner. So, we found an entertaining show on the universities television channel, cuddled together, and watched that.

At about ten, Amy became amorous, and it wasn’t much later that she was receiving a nice foot massage.

Friday we both had classes to teach, so I walked Amy to her eight o’clock class and waited with her until almost eight. Then I walked over to where my class is held, sat at my desk, and worked some more on the class overviews for next quarter’s classes.

At a quarter to nine, the first of my students wandered into the classroom and took their seats. Then slowly, and in some cases sleepily, more students wandered in. I noticed some of them smile in my direction, and if they were with a friend, they’d look at me and whisper back and forth a little bit.

Finally the nine o’clock bell rang, I stood up and walked in front of my desk. But, before I could say anything, one of the students raised his hand. I looked at him, and asked, “Do you have a question?”

The student stood up, and said, “Yes, Miss Nez. I’m Mr. George.”

“Yes, Mr. George. What’s your question?”

“Miss Nez, it’s more of a statement.”

“Oh?”

“Yes, we, all of us, got together after class Wednesday and had a meeting. We know that Dr. Oshie is a good teacher and knows his subjects. But, he’s out of his league in this class. We … we just want to ask you to please don’t let him teach your classes. You … you make the class so much … well so much better.”

As he sat down, I looked at him, then I said, “Well, Mr. George that was interesting. I’ll let you, all of you, in on a little secret.

“I received two job offers on Tuesday, and I was torn between them and not taking either of them. So, I had to go someplace where I could think without being disturbed. That place is about two hours north of here, and I thought about things all Tuesday night, and that’s why I wasn’t here on Wednesday.

“The one job offer I took off the table right away. The other one took a little more thought. And I finally decided to take it.”

“Miss Nez.”, Mr. George asked. “You’re not leaving the university. Are you?”

I smiled as I said, “No, you’re stuck with me for the remainder of this academic year. I’m no longer a grad assistant, but a part-time instructor. And will be teaching you Electronic Circuits and Systems for the rest of the year.”

I saw a lot of smiles.

“And, if you’re interested in computers, I’m going to be developing and teaching a brand new course in the spring, that isn’t even in the course catalog. It will be an introductory class in computer circuit design.”

“You know about computers, Miss Nez?”, someone asked.

“Yes, it was my minor at Ohio State. Now, let’s get down to business … ”

My second class of the day started just about the same way, as the bell rang to start the class, as I usually do, I stood in front of my desk, and said, “Good morning gentlemen. I had a very interesting discussion at the beginning of my last class. It appears that they weren’t happy with Dr. Oshie teaching my class. And I imagine that this class might feel the same way. Am I right?”

I saw some heads nod, yes, and I heard a few, ‘yeses.’

I continued with what I’d told my first class today, and when I finished, I heard a couple of them say, “I’m interested in that computer class.”

So, I said, “I’ll be sure that you’re the first to know when they open the registration for the class. Now, down to business … ”

As I dismissed the class, five of my students walked up to me, and one said, “Miss Nez, I have to be honest with you. When I first saw that we had a girl for an instructor, I was worried. I figured that no girl could know anything about electronics, but you’ve proven me wrong. I’m enjoying the class, and I’m learning. And I was pleased to hear that you’ll be teaching the rest of this class.”

“I’m glad.”, I said. Then I looked at the others standing there, and asked, “Do the rest of you feel this way?”

Most nodded their heads yes, and a couple said, “Yes.”

“Thank you. That lets me know that I’m doing something right.”

“Miss Nez.”, the first guy said. “You are, and we appreciate it.”

Later as I walked into the apartment, Amy saw me, and said, “You look happy.”

“I am. I’m loved.”, I replied.

“Loved?”

“Yeah, loved.”, And I went on to tell her what my students had said. She smiled the whole time.

When I finished, Amy said, “You’d better never tell Dr. Joe what they said.”

“Don’t worry. I won’t. But, I’m sure it was the short notice that didn’t give him time to prepare properly.”

“I think that you’re right.”

“Have you had a chance to talk to Jackie yet?”

“About her scholarship and what we did? No. Not with everything else that’s been going on.”

“That’s okay. I was just wondering.”

“You know. Maybe we should tell Jackie and Charlie about what's going on with you and the job.”

A few minutes later we were knocking on the door, as I knocked, I looked at Amy, and said, “Something’s wrong.”

“Like what?”, Amy asked.

“Someone is sick. Really sick. I think it’s Charlie.”

Just then Jackie opened the door, she looked at us, and said, “Thank God! Maybe you can talk some sense into him.”

“What’s wrong?”, Amy asked.

“Charlie. There’s something wrong with him, and he won’t go to the hospital.”

“Is it bad enough that he should be in the hospital?”

“Yes, I think it is.”

“Let’s talk to him.”

We followed Jackie into their apartment, Charlie was laying on the couch, and he didn’t look good. Amy took a good look at him, and said, “Jackie, call an ambulance.”

Charlie was able to say, “No, I’ll … I’ll be all right.”

“Charlie.”, Amy, in her authoritative voice, said. “You’re going to the hospital.”

I’d been looking at Charlie, and I whispered to Amy, “I think it’s his appendix. And, it’s ruptured.”

Amy bent down and carefully touched Charlie's right side. He almost screamed in pain. Amy looked at me, and said, “I think you’re right.”

Amy then looked at Jackie, and said, “Make that call. Now!”

Jackie ran to the phone and made the call.

Amy knelt on the floor next to the couch and talked softly to Charlie to comfort him, and it wasn’t long until we heard a siren. I went outside and directed the ambulance guys into the apartment. As we walked in, Amy looked at the guys, and said, “I’m an ER nurse at the hospital, and I think he has a ruptured appendix. We need to get him to the hospital as soon as we can.”

The ambulance guys ran back out and got their cot. We got Charlie onto the cot without too much screaming, and then out and into the ambulance. As Amy was getting into the ambulance, she looked at Jackie and me, and said, “I’m riding with them. Kai bring Jackie.”

The ambulance took off with Charlie and Amy. I got the car out of the garage and Jackie, and I drove to the hospital. I parked the car in the ER parking lot, and Jackie and I went into the hospital.

Jackie and I stopped at the ER triage nurse’s desk, and Jackie told her who she was. The nurse told us to have a seat in the waiting room, and they would tell us as soon as they knew something. I asked the nurse if Amy Young had gone in with Charlie, and she said that she had. I told her that I was Amy’s cousin, and we were neighbors of the guy.

Jackie and I then went and sat. At first, Jackie was very quiet. I prayed to the Great Spirit.

Finally, Jackie asked, “Kai. Do … do you think he’ll be okay?”

“Honey.”, I said. “He’s in good hands.”

“I can’t live without him.” And, the tears started. I held Jackie, and she held me as if her life depended on it.

Finally, she relaxed a little, and we sat there holding hands. A half an hour later a nurse came out, she walked over to us, and asked, “Mrs. Hamilton?”

Jackie looked up at her, and said, “Yes, I’m Mrs. Hamilton.”

“Mrs. Hamilton, they’ve taken your husband to surgery. He was in some pain but talking to us when he left the ER. You can go to the surgical waiting room, and the doctors will talk to you there when they’re finished. I can show you where the waiting room is. If you like?”

“Please.”

As Jackie and I stood, I asked the nurse, “Is Amy Young still back there?”

“No.”, the nurse replied. “She went to surgery with Mr. Hamilton. He asked her to go with him. And the doctor allowed it.”

“Well, we’ll get a good report from Amy when this is all over.”

We followed the nurse to the surgical waiting room, and she told the lady sitting at the desk who we were. Then we found a place to sit, and as Jackie sat, I went to get us something to drink.

When I came back with the drinks, and as I sat, Jackie asked, “Kai, how did you know that Charlie had a ruptured appendix?”

I looked at Jackie, and whispered, “Jackie, it’s something that being a Nádleeh has done to me. I see things, I feel things, I know things that I have no way of knowing, yet I know.”

“So, you felt that Charlie had a burst appendix.”

“Yes, I only feel things like this with people I’m close to, like friends and family.”

“So, you felt it because we’re friends.”

“Yes, I feel that we’re good friends.”

I saw a little smile on Jackie’s face. And, she asked, “So, you’ve done this before?”

“Yes, my father had a brain aneurysm, and I picked up on it. Probably saved his life. And we had a friend whose father was having a nervous breakdown, and I saw that.”

“But, you can only do this for friends and relatives?”

“Yes. Why I don’t know, but my medicine man friend has told me that it’s just the way it is.”

Jackie curled up on the overstuffed chair she was sitting on, closed her eyes, but I don’t think she slept.

I sat back, closed my eyes, and chanted to myself.

It was four hours later when we heard, “Would the Charles Hamilton family please come to the desk.”

Jackie and I got up, walked over to the desk, and Jackie said, “I’m Mrs. Hamilton.”

“Mrs. Hamilton.”, the woman behind the desk said. “Your husband is out of surgery and in recovery. The doctor will be down as soon as he cleans up.”

We thanked her, and went and sat back down. This time I think Jackie feel asleep.

About a half an hour later I noticed Amy, in surgical scrubs, walk in with two doctors. I shook Jackie, waking her up. Then we stood. Amy saw us and said something to the doctors as she pointed at us. They walked over to us, and Jackie asked, “How is he?”

The one doctor said, “He’s resting comfortably. Let’s go to a private room where we can talk.”

The five of us walked over to a private room and sat at a table. The doctors introduced themselves. Amy introduced me to the doctors. Then, one of the doctors said, “Mrs. Hamilton, your husband is one lucky young man. If he’d been here a half hour later, he might not have made it.

“We removed his appendix and cleaned up his abdominal cavity. We feel that we got everything. And, we’re going to keep him for five to ten days to be sure that he doesn’t come down with an infection. We’re also giving him intravenous antibiotics
to help stop any infection from starting.”

“When can I see him?”, Jackie asked.

“Not until he’s in a room, Mrs. Hamilton.”

“Thank you so much, doctor.”

“You’re welcome. Go back to the surgical waiting room, and they’ll let you know when you can see him.”

Jackie looked at Amy, walked over to her, hugged her, and said, “Thank you, Amy.”

“I didn’t do anything.”, Amy said.

“He wouldn’t listen to me. But, you just told him, and he listened.’

I grinned, and said, “That’s just Amy being Amy.”

As the doctors were walking out of the room, one of them turned to Amy and said, “Miss Young. It was nice having you with us.”

“Thank you, Dr. Charles.”, Amy replied. “I’m glad I could help.”

Then, as Amy followed the doctors out of the room, she turned, and said to Jackie and me, “I’ll be back as soon as I change.”

Jackie and I went back to the surgical waiting room and found a place to sit. I looked at the clock, and it was almost six o’clock. My stomach was telling me that I didn’t have lunch and that it was also missing dinner.

About a half an hour later Amy walked back into the waiting room, Jackie saw her first, jumped up, ran over to her, and hugged her. Then Amy sat down with us, and said, “Jackie, to be honest with you, Charlie is very lucky.”

“I … I know.”, Jackie said. “He wouldn't let me call anyone. He kept saying that it would go away. He’s as stubborn as his dad.”

“He was a mess. I watched them work on him, and they did a very thorough job of cleaning him up. And I now know him inside and out better than I ever wanted to.”

I saw Jackie smile a little at that. Amy and I sat with Jackie until the woman from the desk came over, and told her that Charlie was in his room and that we could go up. We were going to leave, but Jackie insisted that we go to Charlie's room with her.

Charlie was still feeling the effects of the anesthesia, and would quickly fall asleep, then wake up. And I don’t think he was sure who we were. I offered to drive Jackie home and bring her back later, but she wouldn’t leave Charlie. The only thing she asked us to do was be sure that their apartment was locked up and that everything was turned off.

As we were leaving Charlie’s room, Jackie gave us both big hugs, and said, “I can’t thank you two enough for everything that you did.”

“Jackie.”, Amy said. “You take care of Charlie. We want to do more things with the two of you.”

“I will, Amy.”, Jackie said.

As we walk out of the room, we stopped by the nurse's station, and Amy asked them to be sure that Jackie got something to eat. And they assured Amy that they would.

Speaking of getting something to eat, after Amy and I stopped by Jackie and Charlie’s apartment and checked on it, we headed to our favorite drive in for cheeseburgers, fries, and of course ginger ale milkshakes.

As we were eating Amy was going to tell me what she did during Charlie’s surgery. I looked at her, and said, “Please don’t. I want to enjoy my dinner.”

Amy grinned, and said, “Okay, love. I won’t ruin your dinner.”

Then I asked, “Well that’s the third surgery that you’ve been in on. Want to become a surgical nurse?”

“Actually more than three.”, Amy replied. “If you count the ones while I was doing my clinicals. And, no, I don’t think I’d like being a surgical nurse. There’s something about working in the ER that keeps me motivated and wanting to do more.”

Once we were back at the apartment, Amy took a shower, and I think both of us were sound asleep as soon as our heads hit the pillows.

~o~O~o~

Dear readers, Remember authors like comments. And even constructive criticism. Please leave a comment. Want to comment but don't want to open an account? Anyone can log in as Guest Reader -- with a password of topshelf to leave a comment. Thanks.

up
283 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

That was just Mean!

My5InchFMHeels's picture

It wasn't very nice to put Charlie in mortal peril. They still haven't had a chance to tell Jackie about the help, and Thank you for Keeping Charlie alive!

LANL gonna stir the waters to get Kai huh? I would think they'd have done a background check already regardless, once they made the offer. That way they weren't making the offer to someone they'd have to later turn down. Guess we'll find out what the outcome is soon.

Had to keep Charlie alive, he

Had to keep Charlie alive, he's too good of a friend to lose.

And, I don't think that the LANL has a snowball's chance in hell of getting Kai. But, they may have done a cursory background check on her, and who knows what they found out or were told and by who.

Poor Charly,

Monique S's picture

appendixes can be a real pain!
Good job Dr. Kai and Nurse Ajie (or is that Amy?).

Now to see what Dr. Fontheim and the laboratory cook up.

Nice turn down on Dr. O'Riley, by the way, I bet the secretaries loved that!

You earnedd some more hugs and cuddles again, Teddie, for this chapter.
Monique.

Monique S

Dr. O'Riley is lucky that Kai

Dr. O'Riley is lucky that Kai didn't put him on the floor.

I think that Dr. Fontheim may be happy with Kai doing research for him through the university.

Thanks for the hugs and cuddles. ;-)

Why is it I think Kia is on track to becomming a medicine man?

She has no obvious magic but she shares what she has freely, she has absorbed the Navajo culture and faith, as has Amy.Their is no conflict with her being a scholar and a shaman, except with some bigots.

Time will tell on this. Most

Time will tell on this. Most medicine men are scholars in their own right

More of this one

Teddie, Thank You for another great chapter. I have enjoyed every chapter of Kai's story and so look forward to many more. I thank You also for the sensitive way You write about the feelings and beliefs of our cultures. I hope You and all of Your family and all the other readers are having a great holiday. Blessingsto all of You.

Thank you for the very kind

Thank you for the very kind words, Gabrielle.

And, I hope that you and yours are also having a wonderful holiday season.

Teddie

Packed classes

Jamie Lee's picture

Based on the responses from the students in Kai's current classes, her classes are going to be in high demand. There may be such high demand that more sections will have to be scheduled.

Dr. O'Riley has never met a woman like Kai, one who told him off and has yet had the chance to put him on his butt. But it would be nice to see his stupid meter increase and cause him to discover what else Kai can teach.

Pain is the body's way of indication something is wrong and needs corrected. Charles was extremely lucky Kai and Amy were coming to visit or they might have been attending another funeral.

Others have feelings too.

Kai's class size right now is

Kai's class size right now is close to 60 in each section of the two classes that she teaches.

If the Dean is strong Dr. O'Riley was warned and he'll heed the warning. If the Dean is weak then Kai may have to be the strong one.

You're right, Charlie is lucky. And, Kai doesn't want to attend another funeral. And, if she can help it, she won't.

Or, a nurse practitioner,

Or, a nurse practitioner, that was just starting to come on the scene.

Kudos

Not quite 200 kudos, but I fixed that.

Thanks!

Thanks!